Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Panic's Scourge of the Slavelords Prologue

Game Master wakedown

Prologue in the Free City of Greyhawk to a campaign that may lead into the Scourge of the Slavelords arc.


2,101 to 2,150 of 3,001 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Wanderer

"Hey, coins! Mukluk picks up a few before taking a gander at the scaled mail.

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17 Spellcraft

Fail. Needed an 18 to ID a +1 equivalent, a 21 to ID a +2 equivalent.

"It's magic, Doruk, but what kind and how powerful, I can't say. I don't think it's cursed, but can't say for sure."

Mukluk casts Prestidigitation on the armor before giving it to Doruk, making sure it's clean and lightly smelling like roses.

When the coins are collected and stowed, he'll move to the door.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22 Know History on Door/Rune
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 Know Engineering


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)
Mukluk Muletender wrote:
"It's magic, Doruk, but what kind and how powerful, I can't say. I don't think it's cursed, but can't say for sure."

"I'll pass for now. It would have to be somewhat powerful to match what I'm wearing now. I'll carry it though if no one else wants to wear it. Anyone?"

What I really need is my shield.

Doruk frowns, frustrated at his lack of foresight.


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

Mobled joins the group gathering around the door. "I love me a sturdy dwarvish door. Luck, what d'ye think the magic word is ta open 'er? Lessee..."

Dwarvish:

"Friend."

She waits for a moment, half expecting the door to open. Then she looks a little more closely.

Knowledge: History 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Tiabrar examined the rune and considers how it might be the key to opening the door. 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22 arcana and/or disable device

Assuming he can't figure it out he will trace his finger along the rune.


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)

Doruk stands a little way away from the door in case it blows up.

Dwarves certainly do like their traps.

Doruk will clean his weapons of Grick gore and wait patiently for the more skilled members to find a way to open the door.


Despite Mobled's dwarvish offer, the door does not magically swing open.

Tiabar spots a keyhole in the door, but finds himself unable to open it on the first try.

DC30 Open Lock check needed.


Male Dwarf Wanderer

"Let Petrel have a looksee at it. He's the best," Mukluk offers helpfully, noting Tiabrar's failure.


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Tiabrar looks inside the keyhole.

"Hello? Any dwarven death traps in there?"
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 Perception

He then pulls out his lockpicks and spends a couple minutes to open the door. (Take 20 is 30)


The elf alchemist's keen eyes spy no traps, and his nimble fingers are enough to best the dwarven lock - with a click it opens.

As Doruk swings the door open to peer beyond, a dark passage way cuts left and steep stone stairs lead upwards into the darkness.

(Assume Doruk opens all doors. Let me know how you proceed)


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

Sorry for the lack of posts recently!

After his decisive victory, Petrel is feel grand! He thrusts the magical dagger into the Grick and lets it drink deep from the expiring creature.

Afterwards, while cleaning his weapons, he will call out to Tiabrar."Barbar you're some kind of doctor right? Find the stomach and check for gems."

He is generally in a good mood, both from the battle and because Mobled inadvertently came up with an amazing pseudonym for when the thief needs to go under cover.

Then Petrel will conceal his identity as ... The Petal.

During the door examination, he will hang back in case there is more Duerger poison gas.

"Moble, can you tell if your people set traps on this door?"

status:

HP = 15 / 30 (+5 from channel)
AC = 16 (17 vs light blades), CMD = 16
Fort = 3, Ref = 7, Will = 0
Condition: -3 strength from Duerger trap


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4
Petrel wrote:
Afterwards, while cleaning his weapons, he will call out to Tiabrar."Barbar you're some kind of doctor right? Find the stomach and check for gems."

"I don't usually check the stomach, but that is a good idea. Maybe it's what they eat that gives them such resistance to weapons."


Male Dwarf Wanderer
Tiabrar wrote:
"Maybe it's what they eat that gives them such resistance to weapons."

And maybe it's because they eat elf that they missed with their attacks so often.

* * *

Mukluk smiles as Tiabrar opens the door, anxious to look inside the halls of ancient dwarfdom.


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

"Let's try up instead of down for once. Why? Because the entrails told me so."

"Just kidding."

Mostly.


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

"Entrails. That's a funny one, Briar Elf!" Mobled slaps Tiabrar a bit too hard on the back as she bends over nearly in twain, laughing.


Human Cleric of Pelor 4

Martigan grunts as the group jests amongst themselves.

Let's see if I can tell what this armor is. That would put the dwarf in his place. Which is our employer, humph.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

"I'm not sure they would keep treasure in their guts but it's worth a try I suppose."


@Martigan: Spellcraft didn't identify (neither did Mukluk's) ... did Martigan or Doruk don this armor?

If someone really cuts open all 3 gricks, just let me know who (Tiabrar didn't so far).

Climbing the steep stone stairs upward, you all emerge into a small octagonal chamber about 30 feet wide at the top.

Octagonal Room

The floor is inlaid with cracked, dusty blue tiles, and the walls are dressed with polished marble. Large, closed doors of bound oak lead to the northwest and northeast.

Three cast bronze statues almost 10 feet high stand on the west, north and east walls. Each represents a dwarven warrior armed for battle. The east and west warriors carry axe and shield, and the center is armed with two axes.

The ceiling rises in a dome almost 30 feet above the floor.

Somewhere off in the distance, you can hear the faint ringing of a hammer on an anvil.

Doruk and Mobled are stepping into the room, with Martigan and Petrel following, and Mukluk and Tiabrar in the rear.


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4
DM Panic wrote:

If someone really cuts open all 3 gricks, just let me know who (Tiabrar didn't so far).

Tiabrar did, but this might not have been clear.


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Tiabrar looks around, wary of the statues which will hold up well against his arrows if it comes to it.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 - Should save that one.


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)

Doruk does, as usual, open doors so Mobled can charge through followed by Doruk.

Doruk proceeds with caution when he sees the statues. He remembers the last Dwarven statue they encountered, and keeps his distance as best he can in the small room. He watches over the more subtle and skilled in the party as they examine the chamber.

He pays particular attention to the statues as well - just in case they move and reveal hidden spaces that creatures may come out of to attack.

Doruk is a little paranoid in this room. ...and very jumpy.

Relax. It's just Dwarven art. Nothing to be afraid of. Really. They won't bite...


Male Dwarf Wanderer

"Good. Good. This room is unspoilt. Nothing can possibly be bad here."

Mukluk casts Detect Magic.
1d100 ⇒ 35 Spell Failure

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 Know (History) on Statues


Tiabrar found nothing inside the gricks besides smelly internal organs./

The elf's arrow bounces off one of the bronze statues. None of them come to life as the rest of the group enters the small octagonal chamber.

Mukluk detects no magic auras with a thorough sweep of the room.


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Darn itchy trigger finger. I said "if it comes to it." I'm sure Mukluk doesn't want me to scuff up the surroundings without cause.


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Mukluk snarks as the arrow hits one of 'his' statues.

"Fool elf, ain't any arrow you have that is going to harm these statues." Mukluk bangs his fist on one of them. "These are dwarf made...and so they are tougher than anything you got."

Mukluk looks around and then looks to Doruk.

"All seems safe to me, Doruk. Shall we press on?" Mukluk indicates the door to the northwest/east. (Towards whichever door seems to be closer to the ringing/forging sound.) "I hear noise this way."


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

"Tha's right, coz. Jus' look at what me ma 'n pa made tunblin' t'gether one night. Strong 'n sturdy like ma'ble.


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

Petrel chuckles at Mukluk's comment. "Yeah those elves, always doing things. Remember that aquatic elf we used to employ? He loved the water, always splashing around in it."

Has anyone made a perception check on this room?

Petrel will look around the room from the entrance door, ready to leap to safety in the event of poison gas traps.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


Male Dwarf Wanderer

You're a bad person, Petrel, but you make me laugh. Well played.

"Teehee, Petrel, yeah...I remember that guy. He loved water," Mukluk quickly agrees with Petrel.

When he's right, he's right.


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)
Mukluk Muletender wrote:
"All seems safe to me, Doruk. Shall we press on?" Mukluk indicates the door to the northwest/east. (Towards whichever door seems to be closer to the ringing/forging sound.) "I hear noise this way."

"Sure thing boss!"

Doruk quickly strides over to the indicated door and opens it.

Glad to be moving out of this room.


Petrel doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary in this room, and in fact he's so distracted by his own meager possessions, he fails to even discern which direction the clanging sound is coming from.

Tiabrar Perception (to determine direction of sound): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Tiabrar can confirm the sound is coming from the east, so Doruk steps up to the northeastern door to attempt to pull the wrought iron ring that serves as that door's handle...

Unfortunately, he steps on something resembling a tile pressure plate and hears a pair of "unlocking" sounds as the two bronze statues begin to move - their outstretched arms holding massive bronze axes swinging downward in his direction.

Axe #1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 for 1d12 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Axe #2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 for 1d12 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Just as he barely twists to avoid the axe from the dual-wielding dwarf, Doruk turns and watches as the shield-wielding dwarf buries a bronze greataxe directly into his side, reminding him that he used to have a shield to protect against attacks from that angle. (Doruk takes 11HP of damage)

With a final "clank" sound, as both arms reach the bottom of their downward swing, they begin to slowly rise again with a "chink chink chink" sound.

(I could also see Tiabrar launching a few arrows at the evil statues, since he was ready for their dwarvish treachery)


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Tiabrar begins to frantically search for a way to disable the device.

1d20 ⇒ 16 - Add 8 perception or 10 disable if it's obvious and Tiabrar just needs to get to work.

"Petrel. Help me with this before we have dwarven mincemeat."


Human Cleric of Pelor 4

"Not to split hairs, but wouldn't he be human mincemeat?"

Martigan gently shakes his head before channeling healing into Doruk, hoping to keep him up long enough to get out of the trap.

2d6 ⇒ (5, 4) = 9


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

"I never 'ave figgered out what's in mincemeat, t' begin with. Minces? Us dwarves've too much gristle, but I'm sure there be miserable souls who prefer gristle. Dork here's too lean to make a proper meal, anyways."


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Mukluk *facesheilds*, nearly beating himself with this buckler as a bit of frustration sets in.

"For the love of Moradin, Clanggedin Silverbeard, Berronar Truesilver, and Torag and whatever other dwarf gods I'm forgetting, why the @#$%^@! didn't the dwarves who built these traps leave some instructions for other good dwarves!"

Mukluk lets loose with a blistering string of dwarven invectives.

Dwarven:

A blistering string of dwarven invectives.

Mukluk looks for a failsafe or kill switch or dwarven engineering solution to the trap.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Perception
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 Know (Engineering)


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

"Mayhap they fig'red their fellow dwarves're hale 'n heart 'nough to tussle with some mere status. Don't bother me none."


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)

Doruk quickly moves away from the door before the trap resets so as to avoid another mincing.

"Maybe you Muletenders should go first. The traps might not work on Dwarves."

Doruk stays just out of reach of the statues, but remains close to aid the party in the event something comes through the doors.

I KNEW this room was unsafe. I should always trust my gut.


Tiabrar thinks he can identify the triggering mechanism for the trap - stepping on any tile near either the northwest or northeast door will trigger the axes to swing at anyone near those doors.

He also can swear the anvil sounds are coming from beyond the east wall and realizes that there is practically no sound coming from behind the northeast door.

Disarming the trap lies on an attempted roll by Petrel, should he choose to do so. It will be a separate roll per door if he does.


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Unless it's magical, Tiabrar can also attempt to disarm the traps. I'll let our resident rogue do it though. I can auto-assist.


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

Feeling confident that the dwarves will not unleash poison gas into the room, Petrel will get out his tools and set to disabling the traps. If possible he will do it out of the path of axe traps.

NE Door: Disable Device 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

NW Door: Disable Device 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

Not so good!


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

I'll take those auto-assists for 17 & 28.

"Thanks, you can help by standing on this stone trigger while I jam the mechanism. Don't worries yourself, it is only stepping off the stone that causes the axes the swing."

At least that is what a duerger would do with their traps...


Petrel first steps up to the northeast door and attempts to pry up a couple pressure plates to create a path forward.

17 fails the DC25 disable by 5 or more and unfortunately triggers the trap.

Realizing he pressed down instead of pulled up, Petrel just barely glances upward as the two bronze greataxes pivot down in his direction once again, trying to quickly move out of their reach.

Axe#1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23 for 1d12 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Axe#2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19 for 1d12 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Petrel witnesses as both axes take a larger arc this time than when they struck Doruk, almost as if the pressure plates could work the statues in some more complex way and indicate the direction he might be evading them. Just as the realization dawns on the thief, both blades slice through his armor. (-12HP to Petrel)

With this additional insight, he attempts the northwest pressure plates again and feels confident he disarmed them.

With a nod to Doruk and Mobled, the Shieldlander and dwarf step up to the northwest door and open it.

Unfortunately, beyond it reveals nothing but an empty alcove about 4 inches deep. Petrel can confirm this is a "false door".


Human Cleric of Pelor 4

"Petrel, let me heal those before you get much further."

Stepping forward with his wand, Martigan taps Petrel with it.

1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Twice.

1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

"I'm sorry Petrel, this wand just doesn't seem to like you for some reason."


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Mukluk flinches as Petrel gets hit by the axes.

"Not your fault, Petrel, you're still the best. Ain't no one who coulda stopped that."

Wow. That was surprising. He usually never fails.


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Tiabrar winces as Petrel is sliced deeply.

"Would you like me to try?"

If he says yes.:

You should have said no.
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

"I can't take anymore more scares right now..."

Petrel watches as Martigan's amazing healing magic seals closed the brutal axe wounds.

"Maybe you'll be luckier than I was, Barbar. Go ahead."

status:

HP = 13 / 30 (-12 from trap, +10 from heals)
AC = 16 (17 vs light blades), CMD = 16
Fort = 3, Ref = 7, Will = 0
Condition: -3 strength from Duerger trap


I'm just going to hand wave this one... GM fiat in preventing springing a trap a third time.

Tiabrar steps forward and considers the trapped panels in the floor, but just as he is about to kneel and attempt to disarm the trap, he notices the northwest door is strikingly similar to the northeast door - in that it seems to only be a false door in front of a small alcove.

Sensing this, he stops short of disarming the trap and wonders again about the sound of the hammer on the anvil coming from the east...


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

"Ah fer cryin' out loud, there's a secret door there."

Mobled goes and starts fondling the east wall, looking for a secret door.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


Mobled feels around the wall before eventually burying her stubby fingers into a groove and practically tearing the secret stone portal ajar.

Beyond is a darkened hallway with steps that climb up to a single closed door.

At this point nobody has ascended those stairs, you are all standing in the statue room gawking at Mobled.

Updated Map


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Mukluk prepares to follow Doruk and Mobled into the next room.

"Good job, Mo. Let's get going."


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

"I never realized dwarves were so tricky. Maybe gnomes helped to build this place. That or halflings. Both might have been able to safely stand tall while those axes swung."

Tiabrar looks warily at the steps.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)

Doruk, following Mobled or vice versa, ascends the steps and prepares to open the door at the top.

"Do we think this one is trapped too - or should I just go ahead and open it?"

He tentatively touches the handle and then withdraws his hand waiting for a command from below.


As Doruk crests the thirteenth step in his ascent, his glowing weapon illuminates a ripple forming along the breadth of the stone wall just ahead of him.

The Shieldlander can almost swear the ripple is curving upward like a smile when it suddenly purses up like a pair of lips and begins to speak...

(in some foreign language)

"KEZAT-KEZAT! NOROR'ACHEN! KEZAT-KEZAT!"

Dwarven:

"ALERT! ALERT! INTRUDERS APPROACHING! ALERT ALERT!"

Doruk hesitates, uncertain of what he has unleashed and braces himself for a dangerous trap that never quite unleashes at him.

2,101 to 2,150 of 3,001 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Panic's Scourge of the Slavelords Prologue All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.