Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Panic's Scourge of the Slavelords Prologue

Game Master wakedown

Prologue in the Free City of Greyhawk to a campaign that may lead into the Scourge of the Slavelords arc.


1,901 to 1,950 of 3,001 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>

male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Tiabrar makes sure the trap won't trigger and exits the room.

"When we take a break, we should do it near here. It will take a couple hours, but I could produce many alchemist fires from the ingredients here."


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

Petrel tumbled down the stairs. Did he discover the treasure room? If so he will collect the magic items for his Goddess, Wee Jas.


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Corrected Status:

AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 17/21 (3d8)
Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1
Immune sleep; Resist Elven Immunities, Poison Resistance +2
Bombs left 2/7
Mutagen: used
Extracts (4/day)
OPEN - 1 (one minute to mix an extract)
Comprehend Languages
Cure Light Wounds - 1 prepared
Disguise Self
Endure Elements
Expeditious Retreat
Polypurpose Panacea
Shield - 1 prepared
True Strike - 1 prepared


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)

Doruk lopes back into the room with the others.

"I definitely think we should explore the deeper realms, but I don't think there's a rush. It seems the orcs likely didn't make it past this room - so we could rest now if we wanted."

"Before we get comfortable though, we should bring up the supplies, wagons, etc. into the keep and make a proper camp."

Doruk cleans the last of the stirge from his guisarme on one of the now charred orc bodies.

I wonder what's in the basement? I hope the Dwarves didn't dig too deep...


As Petrel begins to tumble down the stairs, he notices the stairs are rough stone and descend deep into the darkness of the mountain. He realizes a steam actually cuts across the stairs, running along a passage that bisects the main descending one.

Updated Map

The dwarves dug very deep.

The circle with the (A) here turns and connects to the stairs down from the "stirge room".


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

"Agreed. Let's bring in our supplies and lock the front door. Perhaps Petrel and I could even set a trap with some of these ingredients to greet any other orcs who come to visit or return from foraging."

Tiabrar doesn't actually have craft trap, but is more than willing to experiment with volatile chemicals.


Male Dwarf Wanderer

"Hmm...I'd like to rest up before we go further. What do you all think? Maybe we have two watches: at the front door and another here?"

Mukluk begins to plan.

"And Petrel, maybe it's about time to introduce them cats to their new hunting grounds. Yeah, this place will be rat free soon enough."

Mukluk turns to the orc bodies and searches them.

When finished he will pick each one in the forehead and he will address Doruk.

"Doruk, dd you want to help carry these to the chasm? I'd like to keep our camp free of bodies. Sometimes they get back up."

Are we agreed on the plan? Resting and guarding for the night? GM Panic, any obvious problems that we're missing?


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)

"I'm happy to help carry, but before we fill that chasm with orc flesh, we might want to check it out more carefully. I don't know how deep it is, but there may be loot or other things at the bottom."

"I'd be willing to climb down a rope and see what's there other than the orc bodies we've already chucked."

...and maybe get my shield back if it's not too deep.


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Mukluk takes up helping Doruk figure out the depth of the chasm lest it fill up completely with orc bodies.

Ah...what a wonderful dream.

"Martigan, can you give your light to a rock so that we may see how far down it goes?"

Muklul will also try to look to the bottom (60' Darkvision).


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

With the flames disabled, Petrel will rejoin everyone up the stairs.

"There's a tunnel down there. And a stream! With a good food supply this fort could hold off a siege for a long time."

Petrel is very in favor of collecting Gambli, their stuff, the cats & other critters and bringing them into the fort.

"Mukluk, lets bury the bodies outside, or sink them in the lake. This one time in Greyhawk.. well turns out bodies start to stink really quick."


Human Cleric of Pelor 4

"I like the plan. I need to rest before we go any further, and we're all badly beaten. Let's see how deep this pit goes."

Martigan begins casting light spells on orcs and pitching them into the chasm.

"No sense throwing good rocks after bad orcs, right?"


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

No sooner does Mukluk call for a rest than Mobled finds a soft patch of something and begins snoring. LOUDLY. So. loudly that anyone hear her fears that they're the subject of a Shout.


As the glowing orc corpses descend into the chasm, they can be clearly heard crashing against the rocky walls as they find their way ever deeper.

Eventually their glowing bodies wink out of view, confirming that the chasm is very, very deep.

Tiabrar hears the faintest voice in his head whisper... /Did you hear that? It sounded like it hit water?!/


Tiabrar wrote:
Tiabrar doesn't actually have craft trap, but is more than willing to experiment with volatile chemicals.

Back in the original spoiler, I referenced a DC18 Profession (Alchemy) check to collect the raw materials from the flaming door trap.

If you make the check, roll 3d4 to determine how many alchemist's fires you craft. There's enough flasks about the orc lair that you can have them all tomorrow morning since they are already essentially mixed. High roll on the 3d4 means you were careful and meticulous; low roll means you were careful and meticulous but someone must've barged in and distracted you, and you spilled a bunch of reagents :)

However, if you fail the check by 5 or more... well, just don't fail the check by 5 or more.


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Mukluk assigns a watch for the night after the Gambli and the atols (the stubborn asses that they are) are in and settled within the complex.

"Hmmm....we better set up good watches for the night, eh?"

Mukluk writes down the schedule:

9pm to 1am: Mukluk and Petrel (unstoppable!)
1am to 5am: Doruk and Martigan (besties)
5am to 9am: Mobled and Tiabrar (newbees)

"We camp near the front. Anyone have questions?"


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)

"Sounds like a sound plan. If we had more people I'd agree with watching the back, but as it is we should stay together. I think it's more likely that some orcs will return from the front than it is something will climb up those stairs."

Watching the orc body fall in the pit.

"Wow, that's a long way down. So this is a decent trash dump then." Doruk grins and throws an apple core down there.


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

Petrel stays away from Tiabrar during the mixing / dangerous part of the operation.

Running towards the fire. All those years must give these elfs a death wish.

"I wonder what Gambli has been cooking while we were gone..."

Later that night on watch with Mukluk, he will ask some questions about the new addition to the group. "So ... what is with your cousin? Is she a dwarf or a duerger? And what is with her beard?"

From Mobled's desc: "Though she has no more of a beard than most dwarven women..."


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

I myself prefer not to answer the age old question of whether dwarven women have beards. Some things should remain a mystery.


I'm assuming Tiabrar works on the alchemical materials overnight? You will experience no random encounters while resting in the fortress tonight. Feel free to continue roleplaying into the next day and let me know any changes in your prepared spells/actions and where you head off to next (likely the stairs headed down?)


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)

Doruk, as is his usual pattern, casts Prestidigitation before dinner. He cleans himself up, spices up the meal a bit, and after dinner uses the last few minutes of the spell to clean his weapons.

Then he sharpens them. Well, except for the fail of course.

He takes his watch and in the morning helps to make the camp more comfortable for the ex-prisoners.

"You should wait here while we investigate deeper into the fortress. We need to make sure there are no more serious threats in the area before returning. It should only take a day or two more I imagine - unless the Dwarves dug very deep indeed!"

When the party is ready, Doruk leads the way with Mobled to the stairwell and prepares to descend into the deep. He readies his guisarme and walks down the steps...

If we're to continue fighting in the dark, I should be better prepared for it. Perhaps a magic weapon that glows, or a continual light necklace. Something.


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Mukluk rests the night peacefully and happily takes his watch.

"Ah, I feel better. Now it's to kill more orcs, ain't it?"

Mukluk's belly growls.

"But not before breakfast. Gotta keep my strength up," Mukluk says as he breaks out his spellbook and begins to read while chomping on toast.

I wonder how them cats are doing. I wonder if the rats here are orc-rats.

"Hey Martigan, it looks dark down that hole. You going to have your god's light?"

Mukluk memorizes Light, just in case.

I feel a bit stronger today...that poison may be wearing off.

* * *

Mukluk packs up his gear and is ready to head down.

When the party moves down, Mukluk will cast Mage Armor on himself *then* attach his buckler.


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

Petrel could actually use some healing of hit-point damage before the next day...

So are we getting our npc hireling and gear tonight or tomorrow? People are saying different things. What actually happens?

status post rest:

HP = 15 / 30
AC = 16 (17 vs light blades), CMD = 16
Fort = 3, Ref = 7, Will = 0
Condition: -3 strength from Duerger trap


Human Cleric of Pelor 4

Sorry, totally spaced.

Martigan gathers all around and heals them.

Channel Positive: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4
Channel Positive: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 3) = 7

Ugh. Anybody need more from the wand?


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

"Thanks Martigan. I'm really glad Mukluk hired you back in Greyhawk, you've been a good man to have around in tricky situations."

status post heals & sleep:

HP = 26 / 30
AC = 16 (17 vs light blades), CMD = 16
Fort = 3, Ref = 7, Will = 0
Condition: -3 strength from Duerger trap


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Tiabrar spends the evening draining the tanks and mixing together alchemist fire. He'll take notes on the trap and tinker with it.

Status:
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 21/21 (3d8)
Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1
Immune sleep; Resist Elven Immunities, Poison Resistance +2
Bombs left 7/7
Mutagen: Not used
Extracts (4/day)
OPEN - 1 (one minute to mix an extract)
Comprehend Languages
Cure Light Wounds - 1 prepared
Disguise Self
Endure Elements
Expeditious Retreat
Polypurpose Panacea
Shield - 1 prepared
True Strike - 1 prepared


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

Mobled spends the evening snoring loudly. In the morning, she wakes up and eats rather too much of whatever pancakes and bacon the cook has prepared. She then begins recounting her memory of Mukluk and herself as children.

Some of the tales about Mukluk start out embarrassing, but always end in him outsmarting stronger, bullying dwarves in the clan. Despite her rather rough manner with him, it's clear that she admires Mukluk, and feels a kinship with him.

'E might be the last to admit it, but our kinfolk look down on weak, clever men more'n strong women, and they sure don't reserve much love for the likes of me...


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

Oh! Petrel will secretly instruct Gambli to hide the booze so that Mobled doesn't drink it all for breakfast. Petrel has a hard time following Mobled's tale, what with his short attention span and all, but understand the summary: that Mukluk is famous amongst dwarves-kind.

How are the other two recently freed captives?

"Are you okays camping out inside the entrance of this super-secure fortress while we clear it, or would you rather brave the wildness before we finish and return to Greyhawk?"

"It is dangerous out there.. orcs crawling around like fleas in a flop house, wild elk ready to sneak attack from the shadows and gore the unsuspecting traveler. I suggest you stick with our group."


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Mukluk snorts at Mobled's remembrances and smiles.

She's sweet to say so, but I ain't think that be true. Though I wish it were...


Male Dwarf Wanderer

We're not waiting on anything in particular, right? Happy to hang, but wanted to check in.

Mukluk scratches his beard, then checks to make sure his pick is in place.


I mostly took the weekend off. If the RP has died out, I'll advance you guys to moving down the stairs if there's nothing else on anyone's to-do lists.

Would you like to revise your marching order with Mobled present? Perhaps Mobled goes first ahead of Doruk?


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)

Doruk is amenable to following behind Mobled as he has reach and so they can both swing against a close opponent. He's also fine switching up from time to time if Mobled wishes.


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

Let's put Mobled up front then. She's not very stealthy, but she eats orc bacon for breakfast. She has learned at this point to step out of the way of Doruk's glaive as quickly as possible.


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue

I was mostly curious if our Gambli was okay. And what people saw when they lit up the chasm.. does it look like monsters could crawl up from the depths?

In the morning, hopefully over a breakers of eggs and bacon, Petrel will try to welcome the new Muletender into the group and ask more about what their hometown was like, and what Mobled's profession is.

Petrel is becoming a fan of sturdy dwarvish architecture, clever dwarvish traps, and rowdy dwarvish humor.


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Mukluk is ready to march to the depths.

"I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see what our brethren left for us down here. I wonder why none of them orcs went down this way, though." Mukluk ponders.

"Probably because they are afraid of the dark and they don't fight none too good. Probably."


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

Mobled offers Petrel a morning pick me up, but keeps her hand on the jug. "Profession? Why, I s'pose ye could say adventurer and rescuer. Been known to be a bouncer at the Black Cat in the city. Ye prob'ly 'aven't 'eard of it. Burlesque. Heaps o' freaks 'n wastrels. Good peoples, though."


Human Cleric of Pelor 4

"Hard to say Mukluk, but I hope it's easier going than earlier."

A second Muletender. Sun preserve us.


Male Human Rogue 4: Knife Master, Sanctified Rogue
Mobled Muletender wrote:
Mobled offers Petrel a morning pick me up, but keeps her hand on the jug. "Profession? Why, I s'pose ye could say adventurer and rescuer. Been known to be a bouncer at the Black Cat in the city. Ye prob'ly 'aven't 'eard of it. Burlesque. Heaps o' freaks 'n wastrels. Good peoples, though."

Petrel is not much of a morning drinker, so will wave away the jug.

Good thing I warned Gambli to hide our booze!

Knowledge Local.....5 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

"Oh I heard about place. Thought it was a brothel, turns out, well, there was unhappiness all around. Didn't see you there though."


Update coming soon! Crunch week again for me...


Tiabrar wrote:
Tiabrar spends the evening draining the tanks and mixing together alchemist fire. He'll take notes on the trap and tinker with it.

@Tiabar: Don't forget to make the rolls as outlined in this post.

@Petrel: You didn't see the bottom of the chasm.

With a short hike you find Gambli is alive and well back at your campsite, and make introductions including Geradil and Courana. After a subsequent trek back up to the fortress, you make your camp in the large chamber by the stone doors.

Courana wrings her nose in disgust at the trash, bones and litter in the cave and busies herself with grabbing debris and hurling it into the chasm.

Gambli develops what amounts to a massive dwarven crush on Mobled immediately, but he deals with this fact by acting sheepish and bashful and avoiding any eye contact with her. His only words are mostly mumbles directed at Mukluk that comment on the grandeur of the ancient fortress.

The cats begin to wander about the caves, and the dogs can be found constantly sniffing every last rock as if something rare and amazing transpired at every square inch of ground, hidden from canine investigations for decades. The incessant wagging of their tails seems to indicate they are quite pleased to be the first dogs to make the rediscovery.

Sleep is sporadic as the cats sing songs of romance to one another throughout the night. Petrel finds success in his master plan as one swells with either a massive rat-dinner or a possible bloom of kittens.

With Gambli continuing to act sheepish, and Courana always deferring to Geradil, the man is the first to speak the next morning.

"Should we wait here in the entrance while you all continue exploring below?"


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)
DM Panic wrote:

With Gambli continuing to act sheepish, and Courana always deferring to Geradil, the man is the first to speak the next morning.

"Should we wait here in the entrance while you all continue exploring below?"

"I think that would be wise. We'll be careful not to let anything slip by us as we investigate the deeper realms. Do what you can to clean up a bit - but pile it up for now. We're not sure where this pit leads, and it's possible we're going to have to climb over whatever you toss down there later. Until we know for sure, it's best to just make a garbage pile."

Doruk readies his weapons and checks his gear carefully.

I hope we do have to climb over the pile of stuff we dropped down there. I'd get my shield back. What's a Shieldlander without his shield?! I should have brought a spare on the cart. I have spare weapons, why not a spare shield? Foolish boy...

Ready, Doruk waits patiently for the rest to gather their wits and proceed into the deep dark of the Dwarven stronghold.


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

My apologies for forgetting the rolls. I know how annoying it is to keep reposting. It's right there. Why didn't the dummy read it?

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
3d4 ⇒ (2, 2, 3) = 7

Although it looks dangerous--and likely is--Tiabrar works confidently with the remains of the fire trap, mixing this chemical and that one, making long drawn out pours like a bartender. A couple empty flasks are lost as he doesn't quite make the behind the back catch.


@Tiabrar: Don't worry about missing the rolls, as a player I know it's easy to forget too... Looks good, that's 7 alchemist fires created in a single night of work, still not too shabby given all the juggling you were doing to impress Mobled. Or Courana. Or Geradil?

Updated Map

With clear instructions to Gambli, Courana and Geradil to clean up and stick to the area near the cavern door where they'll keep an eye on the assorted livestock, the six of you return to the stone stairs that descend from the "stirge cavern".

The narrow crevasse winds down quite a distance, twisting and turning.

The floor has been cut into hundreds of shallow steps, but the walls and ceiling are still natural rock.

About 60 feet down, a rushing stream spills down from a narrow crack to your left and crosses the stairway, disappearing into a narrow winding tunnel to your right. The gap is only about 2 or 3 feet wide, just enough for someone to squeeze through should they so desire.

From your vantage point here (you are all currently standing where the stream bisects the stairs on the map), you can see the stairs continue descending into a large cavern below.

Knowledge History DC20, +2 if you're a dwarf:

You recognize this area as the "Glitterhame", a large series of natural caverns known to exist in the heart of the Stone Tooth.

While you have yet to descend into them properly, you expect the walls to sparkle and glisten with flecks of semiprecious stone accented by fluted flowstone, delicate stalactites and picturesque stalagmites.

The Glitterhame is known to be a "living cave", with water streaming down and through the caverns towards an underground river below.

You are also aware that the main area where the famed smith Durgeddin plied his trade was a level known as "The Foundry" - you expect that to be beyond The Glitterhame.


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Mukluk descends with the rest of the party.

1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 7 + 2 = 19 Knowledge: History

Mukluk looks at the stone walls, glittering caverns, and beautiful river and thinks that this would be a great place for a dwarven sanctuary.

Maybe someday.


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

For breakfast, Mobled eats a rash or ten of peppered bacon, more than her share of scrambled goose egg, and spiked coffee. It's clear that she considers breakfast a time of day when whiskey should be drunk in relative moderation.

Her wits are therefore fairly clear as the party descends into the fortress' nether regions.

History 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 10 + 2 = 22

Mobled's usually hazy attention becomes keenly focused as she takes in her surroundings. Something stronger than whiskey has claimed her attention—perhaps the one thing that she appreciates more than booze and fisticuffs. Her history.

"Tis the Glitterhame. The sparkles in the walls be natural deposits of precious metals. We'll find a river below, and caverns hewn by its waters. Durgeddin's own foundry lies beyond. Ah, Mukluk, gran'nana has some nice memories o' these caverns. Sparkles like the stars on a new moon eve."


male Gray Elf Alchemist 4

Female voice: No.
But..
Female voice: No.

Tiabrar peers into the narrow crack and wonders what might be inside, but resists the temptation to go in.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

"I can't see anything in there, but maybe if someone went in they could get a better look. I loved to play in the streams growing up, but these waters look a bit faster than the ones I grew up with."


Male Dwarf Wanderer

Lol@Tiabrar.

Ah...running water. Elves just love water.

"Let's push on."


butch female Dwarf Per +8 | Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +7 | AC 18 (f17/t14) | CMD 20)

Mobled moves forward, relying in her dwarven eyes to guide her.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


Human Cleric of Pelor 4

"Metal in the water? Where does it gather?"

Martigan has his mace and shield at the ready.


Update's coming. In-laws staying with us this week/weekend. It's a decent update to the room you are about to enter - maybe shortly tonight, maybe tomorrow...


Male Human (Oerdian) (Per +2 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +1 | AC 26 (f24/t12) | CMD 21)

Doruk stands on the threshold peering into the room. Like a bad dream though, he can only make out blurry shapes and little else.

Wondering if illumination is the problem, he turns to Martigan and requests more light. Somehow his voice is stifled - as if there is no air, and he cannot speak.

He tries to check his weapons, but cannot even perceive the end of this guisarme. His hands fumble around it but come back wet and slippery but they otherwise report nothing.

Oh how he yearns to be free of this dream and back to the reality of this Dwarven Citadel!

1,901 to 1,950 of 3,001 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Panic's Scourge of the Slavelords Prologue All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.