Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM NomadSage's Jade Regent - The Hungry Storm (Inactive)

Game Master nomadicc

A Pathfinder RPG Play-by-Post game following the Jade Regent Adventure Path.


801 to 850 of 1,873 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>

Jade Regent | Crimson Throne | Skull & Shackles
Heng wrote:
Heng stands silently observing the interactions and pondering the question put forth by Ameiko. He glances skyward to see if Valwen has followed.

Valwen stayed close to the group during the trek back, and now perches beside Shalelu.


|| Per +14 | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +10 | BAB +9 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Halfling Oracle of Life/12

"If we do break out the seal we'll want to do it away from town. If I remember right we were counting on the speed of our journey to get us through. I don't think Maeve's box option is really needed, preservative magic will keep the body quite fresh. We have to do something though, this is my fault and I have to make it right."

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Heng again pats the small oracles shoulder, "Do not blame yourself, Harlan. Malnival seemed eager for the fight. I also think potentially warning our enemies by raising Malnival with the box is too steep a price. We may jeopardize our entire mission."

"I would suggest that we leave immediately and make our way as quickly as possible to a place where we can find a powerful priest to aid us. We certainly have the funds for such magic now."


|| Per +14 | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +10 | BAB +9 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Halfling Oracle of Life/12

Harlan nods.

"That makes sense. Let's pack up and be on our way. I'd wanted a celebration but now I just want Mal back."


Female Human (Tian) Aristocrat 1 / Bard 6 / Rogue (Rake) 2

Ameiko frowns. "I can understand getting away from Iqaliat, to protect them from the attention of our enemies, but I would like to use the Seal. The next city we'll find is Ordu-Aganhei, which is at least another two months ahead. I doubt the rest of the way will be easier than what we've seen; we'll need him."

She gives a sheepish grin, "Unless you all think it's a terrible idea and veto me..."

... and Kozaric wants to play Shalelu for the next few months. =D


Level 12 Magus, INIT:6, AC:29, HP:90/90, F:8 R:11 W: 8, Perception 15 (18 Sight)

I am down for what ever you guys decide...I'm dead I have no opinion....


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

"And that brings up the other problem. Are the roads still closed?"


Male Human (Varisian) Rogue (Swashbuckler) 8
Maeve Haela wrote:
"And that brings up the other problem. Are the roads still closed?"

Sandru nods, grimly. "While you were away, Chief Nanquut and Sonavut dug into Tunuak's scribblings. It's not good news. We should talk to them before we leave Iqaliat."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Maeve lowers her eyes again. "....I have another idea, then, but it means Mal will have to wait a couple of days longer. If we follow the road to the edge of the storms, and open the box a couple of times on the way, then turn around and come back here before we take an alternate route...."


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

Ulf smiles, seeing Maeve's plan. "Clever, little lady. A common evasion technique. It may be enough to draw their attention in the wrong direction."


Male Human Vanguard 12 (AC:25 (29 current); F:13 R:8 W:11, Perc:+23)
Status:
  • HP:124/124
  • Vanguard Blast: 7/7
  • Swift Spell: 5/5
  • SpellGrapple: 7/7
  • Enhance Weap 12/12
  • Spells: 1st: 6/6, 2nd: 3/5, 3rd: 2/4, 4th: 4/4
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 3/3
  • Jingasa negate crit/SA: 1/1
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 3/3, see invisibility: 3/3, resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, res cold, airwalk, see invis, endure elements, light fortification, bull str, keen edge, countless eyes, invis,

"Assuming we don't just lead them back to this village we just saved. Either way, we need to bring Mal back."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

"Hopefully," Maeve confirms. "If we're really lucky, they may even conclude we perished trying to brave the mozoroko and start looking for us in the spring."


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

"It's pronounced 'morozko'," Ulf adds, with a wink. "And if we get creative, we could even set up a wrecked wagon and some bodies at the last point. Dress up the bluff a little."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Maeve quietly facepalms. "Right. I'm still working on it," she admits. "Never try to study four languages at once, it never goes well." The humor out of her system, she looks around. "Does that work for everyone? Bodies would make the deception complete, but we could probably substitute some supplies instead. Make it look like the wagon broke down, we couldn't carry everything, and then got lost somewhere. That could keep them looking for months."


Male Human Vanguard 12 (AC:25 (29 current); F:13 R:8 W:11, Perc:+23)
Status:
  • HP:124/124
  • Vanguard Blast: 7/7
  • Swift Spell: 5/5
  • SpellGrapple: 7/7
  • Enhance Weap 12/12
  • Spells: 1st: 6/6, 2nd: 3/5, 3rd: 2/4, 4th: 4/4
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 3/3
  • Jingasa negate crit/SA: 1/1
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 3/3, see invisibility: 3/3, resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, res cold, airwalk, see invis, endure elements, light fortification, bull str, keen edge, countless eyes, invis,

"We have to return and not leave tracks though ... can we do that? I can airwalk for about 9 hours a day. Anyone else have ideas?"


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Maeve shakes her head. "Not really necessary in this case - the weather will be pretty nasty, so it should do a good job of hiding the return trail even without going into the morozoko itself."


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

"'Muh-rohz-koh'... you're adding a syllable."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

"...right. I am allowed to not follow a consonant with a vowel."


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

Ulf gives a smile in reply. "It's important to be precise. Add a vowel here or there carelessly, and instead of 'I'd like to buy some bread loaves', you've called his mother a well-endowed whore-priest."

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Ignoring the word play between Maeve and Ulf, Heng strenuously rubs his tattooed scalp. "I do not know. I would like Malnival back sooner also, but I do not know that it is worth the risk."

He turns to Harlan and Sandru, "Can we even afford to destroy a wagon in a ruse?"


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

"If the village has one they can spare, I can pay a fair price for it, as long as it's not a fancy one..."


Male Human Vanguard 12 (AC:25 (29 current); F:13 R:8 W:11, Perc:+23)
Status:
  • HP:124/124
  • Vanguard Blast: 7/7
  • Swift Spell: 5/5
  • SpellGrapple: 7/7
  • Enhance Weap 12/12
  • Spells: 1st: 6/6, 2nd: 3/5, 3rd: 2/4, 4th: 4/4
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 3/3
  • Jingasa negate crit/SA: 1/1
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 3/3, see invisibility: 3/3, resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, res cold, airwalk, see invis, endure elements, light fortification, bull str, keen edge, countless eyes, invis,
Maeve Haela wrote:
Maeve shakes her head. "Not really necessary in this case - the weather will be pretty nasty, so it should do a good job of hiding the return trail even without going into the morozoko itself."

"I think we shouldn't take any chances with creatures that can track a box from halfway across the world."


Female Human (Tian) Aristocrat 1 / Bard 6 / Rogue (Rake) 2

"But we don't know exactly how close they can track. We're just guessing they're going to teleport on top of us as soon as I crack the Warding Box. Based on my grandfather's tale, it took weeks or months before Brinewall was hit." She shrugs and sighs. "It's not like we are unaware or anything."

"Parity can activate the Seal as well as I. Maybe he can fly Malnival to some distant point, activate it, then fly back?"


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Maeve holds up a hand to call for a moment to think. Ulf. If we can't take the main road, how do you recommend we proceed?"


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

"Well, like Sandru said... you should speak with the elders here first. It sounds like we have to cross the High Ice." He does not look impressed by the prospect.


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Maeve winces. "I was afraid you"d say something that crazy."

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Heng continues to rub his scalp vigorously and look troubled. "It may have taken weeks to reach Brinewall, but we are much closer to our enemy now. We may not suffer an immediate attack, but we will have announced our presence and though this land is wide, it is also barren. We will likely stand out."

Heng sighs, "I do not know which is the right choice, but perhaps this was to be expected when we involved ourselves with the dragon. Let us see what the elders say before we make a decision"


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

"I don't think that a half-hearted deception is going to be worth the time. If we try anything of the sort, it needs to be all in it won't hold long enough to do any good.


Female Human (Tian) Aristocrat 1 / Bard 6 / Rogue (Rake) 2

Ameiko nods. "I feel for Shalelu, but there's no urgent need to act right away. The village is buttoned up for the storm. Let's sleep on it, and talk to the elders tomorrow."

Segue...

EDIT: the dialog is awesome, but I'll advance the time to help you make decisions. If you want to continue/sidebar, feel free to use tags and flex-time.


|| Per +14 | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +10 | BAB +9 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Halfling Oracle of Life/12

"We have a lot of wagons but none I'd like to see lost. With increased hunting and Koya's ability to feed us we can destroy one of the cargo wagons and use that as part of our deception. We could turn the horses into part of a spare chain to increase our speed, but it sounds like moving over the High Ice speed won't be the issue."


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne | Skull & Shackles

The Next Morning...

The blizzard continues throughout the night, and is still blowing when the sky brightens vaguely the next day. The snowfall is terrific, but the caravan comfortably protected inside the walls of Iqaliat. As you gather around the fire for breakfast, an entourage of villagers led by Chief Nanquut, Sonavut and Qalvanaq approach. They bear gifts.

Nanquut bows low before you, and the villagers mirror his gesture. In a deep voice, intoned more for the crowd than for you, he speaks. "Heroes of Iqaliat, we come in humble thanks for your magnificent deed on our behalf. We are sorrowful that one of your friends was lost, but we will remember his sacrifice for a hundred generations. Indeed, the whole of Iqaliat's people, now and future, owe you the debt of their lives." He gestures back toward the gift bearers, who step forward to set down platters heavy with cooked goat and river fish, a caribou on a spit, and small casks of fermented goats' milk.

Sonavut steps up and offers a Tian-style banner of purple silk, three feet tall and one foot wide, decorated with three stylized orchid flowers. "This is a sashimono of comfort," the hearthmistress explains. "When flown above your caravan, it will lend resilience against the cold and severe weather to all in sight. Take it with our gratitude."

For rescuing Iqaliat, the caravan gains a permanent +2 Morale bonus.

***

After everyone is settled, the chieftain dismisses the villagers, keeping only Sonavut and Qalvanaq. With a gesture, he motions Sonavut to explain.

"In the days you were away, I was able to decipher some of Tunuak's writings and pictograms. It is all very disturbing, as you can imagine. Many months ago, Tunuak went on a vision quest across the High Ice. I believe he encountered and became subjugated by this Katiyana creature, and in turn became an agent of Sithuud. Ancient tales say that the morozkos were the demon lord's roaring scourge, wielded against his prey to eat their flesh and bind their bones in ages past. The pictograms suggest that this winged woman has found some way to reclaim the demon lord's ancient power... perhaps through these black monoliths, or some alien magic discovered in the Nameless Spires."

"One pictogram details a place called the Storm Tower, so named because of the storms that swirl endlessly around it. It lies near to the Nameless Spires, but along the lower slopes of the Alabastrine Peaks. We believe this Katiyana awakened the morozkos there, and if she gains full control of the hungry storms, all will suffer. Moreover, they will continue to block your way to Tian Xia."

Finishes, Sonavut looks sad. "I wish I had better news."

Apologize for the long post, but... =)


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Later That Night

After spending another few hours going over her scrolls and books, Maeve finally leans back. Having learned all she thinks she can, she finally gets up and seeks out Koya's side. "I'm sorry to bother you, but....I think I've learned more about our enemy. I just..can't confirm anything from here. I don't know how specific your magic is, but is there anything you can learn about what happened to Brinewall Castle after we left? If it's as I suspect, I think I know their strategy."


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

Later...

"I'll help however I can. What's the question?"

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Background or it's all Eskimo to me.

Heng's lips move as he tries to follow all the strange names, "Sithuud, Katiyana, winged woman? Excuse me, but I do not understand all this. We met a winged woman in Brinewall." He offers and turns to Maeve for clarification.

now that's a laugh ; )


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Later...

Maeve takes a deep breath, knowing the importance of getting the phrasing exactly right. "'Did the Five Storms return to Brinewall Castle after the night of the Equinox?' I...truly suspect they didn't. It doesn't seem right."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

The Next Morning

"I doubt they're the same woman. The harpy woman would have had to have been here to set all this up while we were there. Zaiobe probably isn't involved."


|| Per +14 | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +10 | BAB +9 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Halfling Oracle of Life/12

"I'm sure Zaiobe wouldn't hurt us, we did free her from her crow captors. It sounds like this woman is some form of devil spawn who decided to awake dark powers. Or at least that's what the minstrels would say."

I'll level up the caravan when we get moving with it again. Sounds like we'll need Mal sooner than later and we're going to be heading to the Storm Spire if we want to advance beyond this village.

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Morning after

Heng shakes his head sadly, "I still do not know much of demons and devils although they seem to be heaped high in our path. This is bad news indeed. We can only push on and despite the risks, we will need Malnival back. Perhaps we should use the box as we near the peaks far from this village."


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

Later...

Koya thinks for a few moments, before shaking her head. "Honestly, I do not know. It was many years ago. I would have to divine the answer, or check an almanac. Why do you ask?"


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

The Next Morning

"I already looked at the route. Finding the Storm Spire won't be much trouble - we head north for about two weeks, until we see the Alabastrines, then they lead us in. The problems well face are extreme exposure to the cold, and very high elevations. Entire mountain ranges are said to be buried beneath the glacier, and we'll be walking over the top. Plus, as you've seen, there's nothing up there; hunting and foraging will be nigh impossible."

"The main benefit will be the weather, ironically. Besides the morozkos and whatever this blue-skinned woman is conjuring, the climate on the High Ice is predominantly dry and clear, even this time of year."

Ulf shrugs. "It will be tough going, but once we deal with the storms, we'll be more than halfway to Tian Xia."


Male Human Vanguard 12 (AC:25 (29 current); F:13 R:8 W:11, Perc:+23)
Status:
  • HP:124/124
  • Vanguard Blast: 7/7
  • Swift Spell: 5/5
  • SpellGrapple: 7/7
  • Enhance Weap 12/12
  • Spells: 1st: 6/6, 2nd: 3/5, 3rd: 2/4, 4th: 4/4
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 3/3
  • Jingasa negate crit/SA: 1/1
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 3/3, see invisibility: 3/3, resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, res cold, airwalk, see invis, endure elements, light fortification, bull str, keen edge, countless eyes, invis,

"So is the intent to not return after the Storm Spire? Shall we just ressurect Malnival along the way to the spire and be damned with the bluff?"


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Later

"Would you, please?" Maeve sighs. "I need to know if I've gotten the enemy as right as I think I have. Successfully predicting past behavior is the best I can think of that we can check."

As to the rest...I've got a half-written post, but I likely won't have time to finish until morning at the earliest.


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

Later...

Maeve Haela wrote:
"Would you, please?" Maeve sighs. "I need to know if I've gotten the enemy as right as I think I have. Successfully predicting past behavior is the best I can think of that we can check."

Well, now that I think of it, the letter from Ameiko's grandfather that you found in the marsh was dated in late Desnus. We know the Brinewall village was sacked a few days after, perhaps on the first of Sarenith. The Vernal Equinox was months earlier."

Maeve:
I, the DM, have no idea what you're getting at.

EDIT: ... not that I necessarily need to! =)


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Wrong time period - Maeve's wondering about after THEIR trip there, not the original attack.


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne | Skull & Shackles

Oooooh... I misread earlier - you want to have her check if they went into BW after you left for Kalsgard?


Male Human (Varisian) Rogue (Swashbuckler) 8

The Next Morning

Sandru ponders the logistics. "Sounds like we'll have to load up on food and water, and dump any non-essentials. Anything we can do to pack more, or pack more efficiently?"


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

GM:
Right. Maeve's trying to test whether they actually have the resources to just jump right on top of the Seal - if they do, they should have done so at at least one of several points by now, even without the box being opened.


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne | Skull & Shackles

Maeve:
Copy - so far, there's been no evidence that they will just teleport in. The original attack on Brinewall was after a few weeks; when you left there, it was a couple weeks before Longthews' raiders (as agents of Kimandatsu) intercepted you. Koya's divinations will reveal more of the same.

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Next Morning

Heng listens closely to Ulf's advice and then looks to the others, "A blue-skinned flying woman? Does anyone know what kind of demon she might be?"

"Could not water be provided by spell or melted ice? Perhaps we should focus on food and carrying only the most expensive and portable trade items. Of course I defer to Harlan and Sandru."


|| Per +14 | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +10 | BAB +9 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Halfling Oracle of Life/12

Morning

"Honestly brother we ran full on food and little else just to get here. We can dump a few wagons and use the horses as spares if we count on Koya to feed us, but that's only if she can manage it. We can pack spare food and use it only in case of dire emergency. Other than that we've only cold weather gear for the caravan. We could set some of the drivers to hunting or security in order not to leave them here, or leave any that don't wish to continue."

Harlan nods at Heng.

"Most of the dragon hoard will take up little room, we can afford to bring that with us. Wrecking a wagon or two out on the ice doesn't sit well with me but it might sell any deception. Otherwise we can leave them here."

801 to 850 of 1,873 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM NomadSage's Jade Regent - The Hungry Storm All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.