Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM NomadSage's Jade Regent - The Hungry Storm (Inactive)

Game Master nomadicc

A Pathfinder RPG Play-by-Post game following the Jade Regent Adventure Path.


1 to 50 of 1,873 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

The Path of Aganhei, Week 1:

Dates: 5 - 11 Lamashan 4711
Route: Lands of the Linnorm Kings (Kalsgard -> Stormspear Hills)
Distance: 280 miles
Weather: Cold snap
Special Encounters: The Harrowing, Ice Spire

You roll the caravan out of Kalsgard in the half-light of early dawn, passing through the gates just as they open. The first day is spent heading east, until you reach the first bridge and cross the Rimeflow headed north. The smoke and haze of Kalsgard fade into the horizon behind you, the farms thin out and by the end of the second day the last vestiges of civilization are behind you. A cold snap settles in that evening, an early harbinger of winter, leaving a frost across the landscape. The sky remains clear, a stark cerulean blue.

The further north you go, the farmlands and plains get gradually more rugged and hilly. By the end of your fourth day out of Kalsgard, you can see the white tops of the Stormspear Peaks on the horizon. Two days later, you climb into the hills saddled between the mountain ranges, east and west. The road begins to grow more and more faint.

*

Ice Spire
Date: 9 Lamashan 4711

About mid-day, the ground slopes down into a steep valley, surrounded by sparse forest, at the headwaters of the Vyalldehun river. Ulf suggests it as a good place to stop early and rest up for the hills ahead. As you scout around the new camp, you see a peculiar sight on the western horizon. Perhaps ten to twenty miles away, a single standing spire rises from the otherwise featureless terrain. Even miles away, you see it glitters with reflected sunlight.


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

The Harrowing
Date: 8 Lamashan 4711

After you've set the camp for the night, during the evening meal, Koya gets the group's attention. Behind her, the sky glows red-violet against distant clouds as day fades to dusk. "Now that we are well away from the city and its distractions, out among the open sky and stars, I would like to do a Harrow reading for the group of us. I have this new deck... my mother's old one, and I would like to see what Desna portends for us on the path ahead. What do you say? To be complete, I will need everybody's participation."


Male Human Vanguard 11 (AC:24; F:12 R:7 W:10, Perc:+22)
Status:
  • HP:114/114
  • Vanguard Blast: 7/7
  • Swift Spell: 4/4
  • Spell Grapple: 7/7
  • Enhance Weap 11/11
  • Spells: 1st: 6/6, 2nd: 2/5, 3rd: 4/5, 4th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 3/3
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3, resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, resist cold, airwalk, see invisibility, bulls strength, keen edge, invisibility, stoneskin (110), endure elements, light fortification

Ice Spire

"By your explanation it seems unique, and maybe unnatural? Anyone know anything about it?"

The Harrowing

Parity snorts, "Desna, really ... you figure out what she wants in a deck of cards? That's brilliant ... way to go, queen o' fickleness. Wish I could see this farce for myself, but surely I wouldn't miss it."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

The Harrowing

While Maeve glares at Parity, she says sweetly to Koya "I would love to. I'm sure this deck will serve quite well for a fortune telling."

Ice Spire

Knowledge: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 Possible +1 for some skills, but I'm not sure what to call this one.

Andoran

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Harrowing
"Parity, please show some respect. We have a difficult journey ahead of us. I would take whatever forewarning I can get."

Ice Spire
Heng peers at the distant feature wracking his brain to identify it.
Know geog 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

Ice Spire

Heng/Maeve:
Combining your knowledge of history and landmarks, you recollect that the Ice Spire was the lair of an ancient linnorm named Vyalldehun, after which the nearby river is named. The spire is said to rest atop level after level of monster-infested dungeons and ice caves, the bottom of which has yet to be reached by explorers (that survived).


|| Per +13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +9 | BAB +8 | CMB +6 | CMD 19 || Halfling Oracle of Life/11

Harrowing

"A Harrowing! Parity this is actually pretty exciting. I don't follow Desna myself but it's said a skilled harrower can tell the future by how the cards play out."

Ice Spire

"That's odd. Ulf, how far are we to the next town? We've used 5 days of rations and it would take us at least another day to get to that spire and back if we decide to check it out. Have you seen that before? Could it be a threat or help us? Wait, what am I talking about, it's shining at the top, that's probably a sign from Sarenrae!"

K. Religion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22


Level 11 Magus, INIT:6, AC:24, HP:40/83, F:7 R:10 W: 7, Perception 14 (17 Sight)

Harrowing
"Any guidance is better than none. Forewarned is forearmed I was told."

Ice Spire
Malnival's eyes sparkle as he looks away into the distance at the Ice Spire. "We could always go and take a look. What could it hurt?"


|| Per +13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +9 | BAB +8 | CMB +6 | CMD 19 || Halfling Oracle of Life/11

Harrowing

"Well, I don't know about that Mal, I like my forearms. Oh wait. Sorry, now I get it."

Ice Spire

"Do we have time for it though? We're on a mission and we might be far from help and resupply, I'd hate to take a side trip we don't have to."


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

Ice Spire

"There'll be an Erutaki village on the far side of the Stormspears, and a town, if you want to call it that, before we hit the Rimethirst Mountains." When asked about the spire, he glances at it and gives a nonchalant shrug. "That marks old Vyalldehun's lair. Said to be labyrinth of countless rooms and passages, all filled with nasty monsters. You can check it out, if you like, but don't expect me to wait around too long if you don't come back."

@ Harlan's knowledge check... you have no idea.


Level 11 Magus, INIT:6, AC:24, HP:40/83, F:7 R:10 W: 7, Perception 14 (17 Sight)

Malnival grins as he turns to Ulf. "A lair you say? Filled with monsters? Just who or what was this Vyalldehun?"


Male Human Vanguard 11 (AC:24; F:12 R:7 W:10, Perc:+22)
Status:
  • HP:114/114
  • Vanguard Blast: 7/7
  • Swift Spell: 4/4
  • Spell Grapple: 7/7
  • Enhance Weap 11/11
  • Spells: 1st: 6/6, 2nd: 2/5, 3rd: 4/5, 4th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 3/3
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3, resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, resist cold, airwalk, see invisibility, bulls strength, keen edge, invisibility, stoneskin (110), endure elements, light fortification

"No time for 'fun treks' that may get us killed. We have a long way to go."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Ice Spires

Maeve just shrugs. "If anyone else wants to get a closer look I'm okay with it."


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

The Harrowing

"Okay, wonderful!" Koya beams, her excitement giving her the energy of one half her age. "A Harrowing is usually a one-on-one thing, but it can be conducted for groups. I need everyone to sit in a circle, with me at the northern point." As you move, she sets up a small table and brings out her recently acquired Harrow deck. She lights two candles to illuminate them in the deepening dusk.

"My mother, Niska, always said that time is a path we walk all but blind, glimpsing only the ground at our feet. Looking back, we see shadowy traces of what has passed. Looking forward, there is naught but mist. The Harrow sheds light on the path of time. Its cards are stepping stones, which we walk up and down upon to see what has been, what is, and what might be. These sights can weigh on a harrower's soul, but they also grant great opportunities to change not only what might be, but what has been, and everything in between."

"There are fifty-four cards in the Harrow, each attuned to a different aspect of life: fortitude, wisdom, physical might, intellect, agility, and force of personality. These are further arrayed against benign, malign and indifferent aspects. For the Harrowing, each of you must select a card," Koya spreads the deck, faces down, in a semi-circle before her, "that determines your role in the interpretation."

"Please come and choose."

To randomly determine your card, roll a d6 and a d9... if you get a result already taken, just re-roll.


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

The Harrowing

Maeve practically bounces on her heels to be the first to select a card, taking one from the middle of the deck and quickly glancing at it.

1d6 ⇒ 4
1d9 ⇒ 6


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

The Harrowing

Maeve draws a card depicting a person being struck by a powerful force, granting them intricate knowledge, or perhaps madness.

"The Vision," Koya says, taking the card and setting it aside.

Andoran

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Ice Spire

Malnival Selintin wrote:
Malnival grins as he turns to Ulf. "A lair you say? Filled with monsters? Just who or what was this Vyalldehun?"

Heng answers, "Vyalldehun was an ancient linnorm, a giant wingless dragon. I think we have enough trouble ahead of us already that we need not go looking for more."

The Harrowing
Heng smiles and bows before drawing a card.
1d6 ⇒ 1, 1d9 ⇒ 2


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

The Harrowing

Heng draws a card depicting a walking fortress, a bulwark against the chaos outside or perhaps a menace kept ignorant by its own protective walls.

"The Keep," Koya announces, placing the card atop Maeve's choice.


|| Per +13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +9 | BAB +8 | CMB +6 | CMD 19 || Halfling Oracle of Life/11

Harrowing

"Oooh I'm so excited!"

1d6 ⇒ 21d9 ⇒ 9

"Ice Spire"

"On the other hand there may be powerful items there that could help us in our quest."


Male Human Vanguard 11 (AC:24; F:12 R:7 W:10, Perc:+22)
Status:
  • HP:114/114
  • Vanguard Blast: 7/7
  • Swift Spell: 4/4
  • Spell Grapple: 7/7
  • Enhance Weap 11/11
  • Spells: 1st: 6/6, 2nd: 2/5, 3rd: 4/5, 4th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 3/3
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3, resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, resist cold, airwalk, see invisibility, bulls strength, keen edge, invisibility, stoneskin (110), endure elements, light fortification

"its a bad idea ... maybe treasure but definitely danger and we have time and weather issues ahead of us. Focus, people ... seriously."

Harrowing

Snickering, Parity pulls a card.

1d6 ⇒ 4
1d9 ⇒ 9


Level 11 Magus, INIT:6, AC:24, HP:40/83, F:7 R:10 W: 7, Perception 14 (17 Sight)

Harrowing
Malnival grins as he draws his cards.
1d6 ⇒ 1
Reroll1d6 ⇒ 1
re Reroll1d6 ⇒ 2
Third times a charm?1d6 ⇒ 6
1d9 ⇒ 1

Ice Spire
"Like Harlan said, we may find somethings of use in there. I for one am tired of taking items from dead ninjas."


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

The Harrowing

Harlan's card depicts motes of light in a swamp, wil'o'wisps leading their prey into an impossible trap, or guiding them to safety at the last moment.

"The Demon's Lantern," Koya says, placing the card with the others.

Parity draws a card highlighting a poisoned blade, a slayer of things both physical and mental, but also the harbinger for new discoveries.

"The Snakebite," Koya says with a wink, adding the card to the pile.

Next up, Malnival draws a card showing a man grieving before the grave of an elder, who's ghost offers important lessons, if they choose to listen.

"The Empty Throne", Koya declares, setting it aside.

Ameiko, Shalelu, Kelda and Sandru follow in succession, each choosing their card as Koya calls them out. For Ameiko, The Joke, showing the value of overcoming danger through wit, unless the joke is on us. Shalelu draws The Bear, representing pure, untamed strength. Kelda's card is The Cyclone, a terrible force that destroys everything it touches, for good or for ill. Lastly, Sandru chooses The Juggler, representing fate, on one's side as long as they keep their rhythm.

Koya takes the chosen cards and reshuffles them back into the deck. "Nine is a powerful number for a Harrowing, it is the number of cards in the spread, the number of alignments, and the positive, negative and neutral multiplied by the past, future and present."

Dice:
Ameiko 1d6 ⇒ 4/1d9 ⇒ 3
Shalelu 1d6 ⇒ 1/1d9 ⇒ 5
Kelda 1d6 ⇒ 1/1d9 ⇒ 9
Sandru 1d6 ⇒ 2/1d9 ⇒ 3

Andoran

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Heng studies his card. "The Keep. If I remember correctly, the hammer suite represents strength, but what does it mean Koya?"


Male Human Vanguard 11 (AC:24; F:12 R:7 W:10, Perc:+22)
Status:
  • HP:114/114
  • Vanguard Blast: 7/7
  • Swift Spell: 4/4
  • Spell Grapple: 7/7
  • Enhance Weap 11/11
  • Spells: 1st: 6/6, 2nd: 2/5, 3rd: 4/5, 4th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 3/3
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3, resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, resist cold, airwalk, see invisibility, bulls strength, keen edge, invisibility, stoneskin (110), endure elements, light fortification

Ice Spire

"We are NOT walking into a ruin full of monsters for fun. It's asinine to even think of it. We have a caravan of people and an heir to the throne to worry about. Don't need to add anything. We should be avoiding that stuff, not heading towards it. Think!"


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

The Harrowing

Heng wrote:
Heng studies his card. "The Keep. If I remember correctly, the hammer suite represents strength, but what does it mean Koya?"

Koya smiles, "Nothing, yet. On its own, the card picked by your choosing only sets a role aligned with you. If that card appears during the spread, it signifies an important connection with you, but it may not even appear."

"Now begins the Harrowing. I will draw the nine cards of the spread and array them in a grid, three by three. The first column will represent the past, positive, unclear and negative; the second, the present and the third, the future."

"Any other questions so far?" she asks, almost nervously.


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

The Harrowing

Maeve shakes her head. "I don't think so. I admit my Harrow is a bit rusty."


Male Human Vanguard 11 (AC:24; F:12 R:7 W:10, Perc:+22)
Status:
  • HP:114/114
  • Vanguard Blast: 7/7
  • Swift Spell: 4/4
  • Spell Grapple: 7/7
  • Enhance Weap 11/11
  • Spells: 1st: 6/6, 2nd: 2/5, 3rd: 4/5, 4th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 3/3
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3, resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, resist cold, airwalk, see invisibility, bulls strength, keen edge, invisibility, stoneskin (110), endure elements, light fortification

The Harrowing

"None that won't piss you off ... carry on."


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

The Harrowing

Koya smiles at Maeve, "Very well then, we shall begin." She sets the deck on the table before her, lays her hand over it while whispering a prayer to Desna. Koya draws nine cards off the top of the deck, laying them out on the table in three rows of three, face down. Then, one by one, she reveals the three cards in the left column, from top to bottom: "The Beating, the Peacock, and the Mute Hag." Koya makes a warding sign in the air upon the showing of the last card, but she nods, as if expecting it to appear. "These three represent the past; the Beating is an ill-omened card, but it is misaligned in the positive position. It tells of a vicious attack from all sides by overwhelming odds, but a hidden strength brings us through the assault; much like our plight against the Five Storms. Next, the Peacock signifies a significant personal shift, ones life is changed irrevokably; our lives before the Amatatsu legacy. Last, the Mute Hag is another malign card, for through her eye she sees into the dark secrets of men, those that turn brother against brother, sowing betrayal and worse. It could signify the hidden coup of Minkai, or even the secrets of Rokuro Kaijitsu, which led us here... maybe something we don't know of yet."

Koya looks up, "Shall I continue?"

Andoran

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Heng nods eagerly, "Please do.


Level 11 Magus, INIT:6, AC:24, HP:40/83, F:7 R:10 W: 7, Perception 14 (17 Sight)

Malnival watches the cards and just nods his head.


|| Per +13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +9 | BAB +8 | CMB +6 | CMD 19 || Halfling Oracle of Life/11

Harrowing

"In for a pumpernickel in for the whole loaf, let's hear it."


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 3

The Harrowing

Koya nods and flips over the next three cards in the middle column. Seeing the first card, she smiles. "For the present, Ameiko's role, the Joke, and Malnival's, the Empty Throne, and the Eclipse. The Joke is perhaps a nod to Ameiko's place at the center of all this, but it also infers that our greatest problems are bypassed with skill, wit and ingenuity. The second is uncertain, meaning that our losses brought good fortune, but we must honor them or lose for certain. The last infers self-doubt, loss of purpose, which we all faced recently, and still do I'm sure." Koya gives Ameiko a warm smile.

"And now, what lies ahead." Koya flips the last three cards over. "The Keep, Heng's role, followed by the Avalanche and the Desert." She sighs, pondering the spread a moment. "To me, the cards reveal that the path forward is bleak, perhaps hopeless, and will tax us dearly to prevail. The Avalanche fortells a disaster, but it can be avoided... it will test our hopes and willpower. The way out is through, finding the balance between the positive and negative aspects. The Desert is paired against the Keep, meaning that quiet, unrelenting perseverence may bring us victory."

Koya inhales deeply, closing her eyes for a long moment. "The future is invariably cryptic, and what we see today may change by a decision made tomorrow. We already knew peril lie before us, but it seems a trial is nigh, larger than any we have yet faced."

"That is all I can see for now." You feel the blessing of the Harrowing subtly, as if your steps are guided, your eyes always looking to the correct spot. It is strange, and invigorating.

You all gain a +2 bonus to attack, save, skill and ability rolls, during 1 encounter of your choosing, on the road ahead.


|| Per +13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +9 | BAB +8 | CMB +6 | CMD 19 || Halfling Oracle of Life/11

Harrowing

"That was fun Koya, if a little scary. So, now we know to keep on our guard."

Which we did anyway.

Ice Spire

"I think it's decided, let's press on and when we're done with our current business we'll return and check that place out."


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

The Path of Aganhei, Week 2:

Dates: 12-18 Lamashan 4711
Route: Stonespear Hills -> Taiga
Distance: 280 miles
Weather: slightly warmer, rain and sleet
Special Events: none

The cold snap fades as you climb and descend through the Stormspear hills, replaced by a thick, gray overcast. It grows slightly warmer, but that small comfort is countered by intermittent showers of cold rain; warm enough not to be freezing, but cold enough to make it miserable for three days.

Cresting the hills, you see the wide expanse of the taiga hinterlands before you, a vibrant mix of greens and browns, spotted with the dark glittering of lakes and streams. The land is heavily forested with coniferous trees, the ground covered with a mixture of scrub grass and moss. It is here the road effectively ends.

Ulf retains his bearings using a few differnt techniques, and as advertised, he guides you past a small nameless town of furriers and foresters on the edge of a large lake. They are a mixture of Ulfen and Varki blood, rough in demeanor but fair enough in the trade for supplies. After stocking up, you continue through the trackless taiga.

*

The Path of Aganhei, Week 3:

Dates: 19-25 Lamashan 4711
Route: Taiga
Distance: 280 miles
Weather: fair
Special Events: Drake Rampage

The passage through the taiga is a timeless combination of shadowy pine forests, fording rivers, diverting around lakes, or all three at once. Amazingly, Ulf keeps you on a steady path northward, and at the few times you gain a clear view of the horizon, you see the Stormspears steadily recede. Happily, the weather remains fair, cool but not cold, perfect for travel.


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

Drake Rampage

Date: 25 Lamashan 4711

Caravan Security check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

At the end of your third week out of Kalsgard, while passing through a patchy copse of tall pines, Malnival relays a sighting from Valwen, of a pack of eight, scaled serpentine drakes flying at treetop level toward the caravan. The warning gives you enough time to hunker down for the assualt.

Round One
Drakes: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23; Damage: 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1, 5) + 2 = 11
Caravan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25; Damage: 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (6, 5) + 6 = 17

Round Two
Drakes: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21; Damage: 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 2, 4) + 2 = 12
Caravan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 {miss}

Round Three
Drakes: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12 {miss}
Caravan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23; Damage: 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 3) + 6 = 11

Round Four
Drakes: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12 {miss}
[ooc]Caravan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24; Damage: 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (6, 1) + 6 = 13

Total Damage: 23 pts

The initial barrage is furious, as the large drakes descend through the canopy, attacking from all sides. Readied, however, you hit them hard enough with ranged weapons and spells. Then, the serpentine monsters are among you, thrashing, tearing and spewing acid mist. Chaos reigns but you quickly organize and recover, countering their savage aggression with solid teamwork. Three drakes fall before the rest even realize, and two more before the remaining flee, flying away in a boost of uncanny speed.


|| Per +13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +9 | BAB +8 | CMB +6 | CMD 19 || Halfling Oracle of Life/11

Drake Rampage

"Anybody hurt? Good eyes Mal! Our wagons are a little dinged up but nothing we won't take some time to repair at the next town."


Level 11 Magus, INIT:6, AC:24, HP:40/83, F:7 R:10 W: 7, Perception 14 (17 Sight)

Dake Rampage
Do not thank me, thank Valwen. She is the one that recognized the dangerm


Male Human Vanguard 11 (AC:24; F:12 R:7 W:10, Perc:+22)
Status:
  • HP:114/114
  • Vanguard Blast: 7/7
  • Swift Spell: 4/4
  • Spell Grapple: 7/7
  • Enhance Weap 11/11
  • Spells: 1st: 6/6, 2nd: 2/5, 3rd: 4/5, 4th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 3/3
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3, resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, resist cold, airwalk, see invisibility, bulls strength, keen edge, invisibility, stoneskin (110), endure elements, light fortification

"Drakes, we are getting further and further from civilization. All sorts of nastiness coming forward. I prefer a man with a sword as my enemy, personally. Much more ... predictable."


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

Ulf kicks one of the drake corpses. "Indeed we are far from civilization, as you southerners know it, but there are communities and even kingdoms among the Erutaki people. They are spread out in this vast wilderness, and hard to find mainly because they don't wish to be."

"It is surprising to see a rampage of drakes attack a caravan of this size. They must have been hungry, but it is the offseason." He shrugs, turning to Harlan. "They make tasty steaks, if you want to carve one up."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Maeve just grins at that. "Hey, at least there's one advantage to all this. Don't need to hunt for dinner every night - some nights it'll come and try to eat us. Then we'll eat it. Something like that anyway."


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

Ulf nods, "Eat or be eaten." You sense he is entirely serious.


|| Per +13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +9 | BAB +8 | CMB +6 | CMD 19 || Halfling Oracle of Life/11

Drake Steak Rampage

"Oh, that's a good idea Ulf. Let's carve these suckers up and I'll make a find dish for everyone. Have you ever had flat iron drake? Well tonight is your lucky night. We could maybe keep the skins too? Do you think they're worth anything?"


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne
Harlan Starshine wrote:
"We could maybe keep the skins too? Do you think they're worth anything?"

Ulf shrugs. "Doubt it would be worth the trouble, and time, but you might find some interested Erutaki villagers."

You can give up half-a-day's progress to collect 1 unit of trade goods, if you decide to.


|| Per +13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +9 | BAB +8 | CMB +6 | CMD 19 || Halfling Oracle of Life/11

"You're right Ulf, probably not worth the trouble."

Trade goods just don't seem like a good deal, the profit is so low I'm not sure I'd want to give up a food slot for them.


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne
Harlan Starshine wrote:

"You're right Ulf, probably not worth the trouble."

Trade goods just don't seem like a good deal, the profit is so low I'm not sure I'd want to give up a food slot for them.

True, the rules are not really geared towards massive profits... but if you already have the space opened from consumed food, you could make it worth something. Your call...


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

The Path of Aganhei, Week 4:

Dates: 26 Lamashan - 1 Neth 4711
Route: Taiga -> Rimethrist Mountains
Distance: 280 miles (Total: ~1120 miles)
Weather: fair, then...
Special Events: Blizzard

The taiga continues on and on through blending days, a patchwork of plains and forest, inhabited by plentiful wildlife but no signs of humanoid influence. The fair weather keeps, and you make good time while following Ulf's confident guidance. He seems to find the way using landmarks and features that appear like any other, but he greets them like old friends.

At the middle of the week, you begin to make out the distant peaks of the Rimethrist Mountains on the horizon, the first obvious bearing features you've seen in weeks. Ulf diverts your direction slightly, guiding the way to another frontier village in the foothills of the mountain range. This one is larger than the last in population, but even less of what you'd associate with towns from Varisia. More than half the buildings are temporary, yurts and tents of the semi-nomadic Varki hunters. Many are empty, abandoned for the winter to warmer climes.

"From here, people will get sparse," Ulf explains. "Unless you're going to make them yourself, this would be the last, best chance to stock up on cold-weather clothing, and the like."

*

Blizzard

Date: 31 Lamashan 4711

You leave the village and head north into the foothills, following a better-worn path than you've seen recently. Slowly climbing the mountain pass high into the jagged Rimethirsts, the air grows steadily thinner and you begin to feel the first effects of the altitude. You begin to tire easily, and heavy breathing is noticably ineffective to catch your breath. This affects the horses as well.

The progress is slow and steady, but early on the second day into the pass, threatening clouds gather from the northeast. Ulf gives the incoming clouds an appraising stare then urges a forced pace. An hour later, a howling gale announces the arrival of a powerful snowstorm. The air temperature drops dramatically, forcing you to don your winter furs and protective gear. Within minutes, the icy snow begins to accumulate.


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

Blizzard

"This is nicely timed," Ulf says sarcastically, shouting over the wind. "We get through the pass now, or we wait in yonder village 'til next summer!"

Skill Challenge!

Each 'turn' will represent 1 hour of effort on your part. You can attempt to aid the caravan's progress through the use of skill checks, creative spells or abilities, etc. The number of successful checks and useful efforts will determine if/when you get through the pass; the longer you're exposed to the blizzard, the more bad things will happen...

Everyone needs to make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be fatigued by the elevation.

You can aid with trail blazing and clearing the route ahead with a DC 18 Survival check (aid others are valid). You can coax more from the draft horses with a DC 25 Handle Animal check. DC 15 Knowledge (geography/nature) checks to identify and avoid hazards amid the snow and ice.

These are just a few basic examples. I encourage you to explore creative options with skills, spells, and abilities. NOTE - I will run the NPCs, but don't hesitate to 'order' them around.

Inputs for Blizzard, Hour 1?


Level 11 Magus, INIT:6, AC:24, HP:40/83, F:7 R:10 W: 7, Perception 14 (17 Sight)

Fortitude:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Survival: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

Malnival move infront of the caravan the altitude sapping the young elf's strength but he continues on, marking the path for his companions by reading the terrain and leving poles with colored scraps flapping in the wind.
Shalelu! Make sure we dont move to far ahead of the caravan! The storm could erase or path before the others can see our signs!

EDIT:
Will cast dancing lights to assist guiding the others as needed.
Will cast mount if the going gets to tough for the fatiged magus.

Andoran

M Half-Orc Ki Mystic Holy Monk

Blizzard- Hour 1

Fort 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

It has been a while since Heng was at high elevation and the thin air hits him harder than he expected. Trying to hide his sluggishness, he moves to the front trying to find the best route through, but beat back by the blinding snow.
know geography 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Hour 1
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Maeve seems to have acclimatized just fine to the weather for now, but she quickly spots that the horses are having trouble. "Let's see if we can't get them moving a bit faster..."

For the first hour Maeve will start using her castings of Feather Step to help the horses across difficult areas that would be impossible to avoid. Since she really doesn't have enough for the entire caravan she's saving it for places where there's actual trouble, but this will still probably expend all of her spellcasting for the day.

1 to 50 of 1,873 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM NomadSage's Jade Regent - The Hungry Storm All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.