Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Magister Ludi's Legacy of Fire

Game Master Gordon the Whale

In the barren wastes of the Brazen Peaks, secrets await those brave enough to find them.


401 to 450 of 920 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"And I thought rats on a ship were bad. I cannot imagine a whole building full of pugwumpii. Actually I am surprised that the whole building has not fallen down on the beasts..."

"Dashki, what is the terrain around the monestary like? On a hill? In a valley or canyon? Were you able to get inside the monestary?"


"Heh, yeah, they're nasty little buggers alright." Dashki chuckles, an odd sound, almost like a subdued version of a hyena's call. "But you know, they're mean and stupid, they don't seem to be unnaturally unlucky the way humans are when they're around. Like they're immune or something. Animals neither. Or... uh..." He trails off, looks around the room nervously, licks his lips, and starts again, "The monastery itself is on pretty flat ground. It slopes down to the north into the valley, which is how you get that pretty old view of gnoll central. Umm... All around here," he gestures to the south, east, and west of the monastery on the map, "is hills and brush, but nothing real big or steep right close. All clear for, I'd say, about fifty paces all around the building, give or take. Took a little peek in; the main door don't got a door, and there's a place or two where the wall is all tumbled down. You'll have no trouble getting in, that's for sure."


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"You'll? You are coming with us too Dashki, are you not? Your expertise will be invaluable...and you have experience fighting those creatures as well, which would be very useful."


Dashki narrows his eyes at Valik. "Didn't you hear the boss? I'll be laying low in the hills, watching for gnolls."


Garavel nods. "Yes, to be clear, Dashki will guide you to the monastery, but he will provide surveillance outside while you are clearing the structure. In the event that the gnolls become aware of your presence, he will alert you."


HP:15/15

" Oh this sounds like fun... " Dross comments his voice dripping with sarcasm. " Really though, it shouldn't be to tricky, they don't really like being hit. Maybe if we go in and make a lot of noise they'll all clear out? What do you think Dashki? "


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"My apologies, I misunderstood."


Dashki laughs his odd laugh again. "You hit that one pretty good with that arrow. He was all but dead when I found him. If you can get in a good hit, there isn't much to them. But don't count on them running away as long as they got numbers on their side."


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"Well there isn't much point in formulating a plan until we see more of what we are dealing with. I suggest we bring bows, arrows, slings and such when we go. I would like to smoke them out...but that would bring the gnolls."

Valik scratches his beard absently.

"I suggest we get what we need, grab some travelling food and get moving."


HP:15/15

Dross nods at Valik. " Right, you heard him men, grab your gear and let's get moving! Ameera. Garavel. " he says first addressing the other mercenaries and then bowing to Almah and Garavel before turning and leaving the tent. He dons his armour and weapons and straps a cloth to his head to protect from the sun.


Game Master

Hadrah has food ready for the mid-day meal, consisting of flat bread, jerkey, and dried fruits. She gives each of the mercenaries extra, and they set off into the afternoon heat, Dashki in the lead.

It is indeed only a mile to the monastery "as the crow flies," But winding through the tangled ridges and canyons of the hill country, while avoiding the scattered thick masses of thorny vegetation, means that it takes more than two hours to reach the monastery. On the final approach, the party can see the town of Kelmarane in the distance, across a broad, flat valley. The town is built on a hill, with a large domed structure visible at the top, as well as the slender minarets characteristic of a temple.

Closer to them, the monastery, a mostly one-story building with a taller dome on the north end, has seen better days. Though the majority of the sandstone walls still stand, the tile roof has collapsed in places. The glass in most of the windows is intact, but it is too dirty to be able to see through. If there were wooden shutters on the outside, they have long since rotted away. A tower in the southeast corner has collapsed.

There is an old, unused road winding up from the valley, which leads to the western side of the building. As the party approaches from the south, Dashki leads them to this area; an arm of the building blocks the view of Kelmarane to the north. This area seems more heavily damaged than the rest. Scrub brush and a light, patchy carpet of weeds invade the monastery through two huge fallen sections of the western wall. The exposed nave beyond is a huge hallway littered with bits of debris ranging from tiny rocks to enormous sections of collapsed masonry. Most of the roof above the long promenade is gone, but several jagged pillars remain.

Valik:
I'll let you make Knowledge (religion) checks that apply to Sarenrae and her faith and followers as though you had 1 rank; added to your Int and because it's a class skill, that's +5. This one is DC 12, so you get it by taking ten.

You haven't been a follower of Sarenrae for long, but you have seen a few of Her temples. The typical layout is like Her holy symbol, the ankh, with the nave forming the bottom part, a transept forming the cross, and a rounded chapel at the top. The arm sticking out is probably part of the transept, so you expect the chapel to be the domed area on the northern end.


Game Master

The Old Monastery
6 Sarenith, 4711
Mid-afternoon
(not in combat)

Overview Map

Map

If you want to give your underlings orders about standard operating procedures, such as what order you walk in, what to do when you enter a new room, etc., it will speed things up.


"Guess this is where I leave you to it. Say hello to the pugs for me." Dashki sneers and laughs quietly as he heads up into the hills.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"We will be sure to give them your name Dashki." Valik grins toothily.

SOP: "They are stupid and mean. Don't charge in, don't get surrounded. We will handle them like vermin. Start with missile weapons. We will shoot until they charge at us, then we will surround one at a time and kill it in turn." The marching order on the map is fine.

"That is all I can think of right now. Dross, can you think of anything you want to add or change?"


HP:15/15

Nope, your the boss :)

Dross leaves his guisarme on the ground outside not expecting to need it to much inside. He loosens his longsword in its sheath and draws and strings his bow notching an arrow and nodding to Valik. "No that sounds good, let's do this. "


Game Master

For reference, the weapons you have on your persons are:
Valik: sling, handaxe, light mace
Dross: longbow, longsword
Asad: sling, nodachi
Dullen: light crossbow, dagger
Travis: shortbow, greatsword, heavy flail

There are three arched doorways along the west wall of the nave, leading into dim interior rooms. They may once have had wooden doors, but if so, they have long since rotten away and are now open to the elements. The north end of the nave branches into two large alcoves to the East and West; between these, a 20 ft. wide set of stairs descends slightly into a large, oval two-story room, backlit by filtered light entering through its grimy stained-glass windows. It is hard to make out details of the room's contents from here, but it looks jumbled and wrecked.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Valik looks around, keeping his eyes open for any signs of movement from the pugwumpi...or anything else.

So there isn't anything to the right/south? Its open space and jumbled wreckage?

"The priest said that all of the Lady's temples and shrines are shaped the same. They have this top, circular section, where the main temple is, little stubby alcoves, and a long hallway part." Valik points north towards the stairs, then to the east and west doors, and finally right, and to the south.

"We will sweep to the south first. I don't expect anything there, but it will be good to know that nothing will be sneaking up behind us when we go down those stairs," Valik says, pointing at the stairs to the north once more.


Game Master

Map of Nave

The long room you stand in is mostly open to the sky, and brightly lit by the afternoon sun. Aside from a healthy growth of weeds, the tumble of broken timbers and tiles from the roof, and the few remaining pillars, it seems to be empty all the way to its southern end. There is another large collapsed section of the east wall, south of the one the group entered through. The three doorway arches are widely spaced on the west wall.

Does sweeping the south include going through the southernmost doorway (Door 3 on the map), or just verifying that the rest of the nave is safe? Are you actively searching through the rubble and examining walls, or just checking to make sure there are no enemies?

edit: Also, mistake in my previous description: the steps down at the north end of the nave, like the rest of the nave, are 40 ft. wide, not 20 ft.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"Just look for the creatures, or any places that they might have hidey-holes...like rats. We will come back and do a more thorough search later." Valiard says, sling and stone in hand, as the group makes its way to the southern end of the building.

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


HP:15/15

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Following Valik down to the southern end of the nave Dross checks behind pillars and under rubble from the collapsed roof. " Should we check out these other rooms before we head down? " poking his head through a door Door2 as he passes.

Should we be rolling twice incase you need to take the worst again?
Just incase: Perception 2: 1d20 ⇒ 20 <--- That would be right! LOL.
Would you like us to roll for the others?


Game Master

Go ahead and roll twice for everything; if you aren't in an unluck aura at the moment, I'll just ignore the second roll. You can also roll for the others.

Dross:
The archway opens onto the intersection of two 15-ft. wide hallways, which extend about 80 feet to the north and east, respectively. At their most distant points, the hallways turn east and north, as though they might join up to make a square. The roof in this area seems sound, and parts of the halls are shadowy, but dappled sunlight pours in from wide openings about halfway down each, on the east and north sides. Light also pours in from a door at the far end of the northward hall, which apparently also opens into the nave (door 1 on the map). There is also a small doorway at the far end of the south wall of the eastern hallway, but no light is noticeable from it.

There is no furniture evident, although dried leaves cover part of the floor. The western and southern walls of the hallways are covered in intricate carved frescoes.

My internet connection is being superslow right now; it's hard to even post. I have a map for you, but uploading it won't happen until tomorrow I think.


Game Master

Dross:
url=http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/Magister_Ludi/Legacy%20of%20Fi re%20Maps%20and%20Handouts/Monastery_cloister1.jpg]Map[/url]


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Standing at the southern end of the building, Valiard looks around at the other men.

"Find anything? If not, we are going to head back up and check the east alcove, the one to our right, first, then the left one, before proceeding into the main area."


Game Master

The ceiling in the east alcove has remained intact over the years, helping to preserve a huge bas-relief statue of a muscular humanoid man with a pointy beard appearing on a hilltop to a group of robed pilgrims. The being holds up his hands, palms out, in a sign of peace. Though many of the faces and limbs on the bas-relief have been worn down or cut away, the expressions of those range from beatific to horrified.

Knowledge (religion; Saranrae) DC 15:
The figure is depicted in the manner typical of Sarenite saints, but this saint is not one of those typically venerated in the Church of Sarenrae.

Knowledge (religion; Saranrae) DC 25 (use same roll):
The figure in the image is a very obscure regional saint known as Saint Vardishal.

Any wooden altar or shrine that might once have adorned the alcove has long since rotted away. However, a crude stone stele that seems to have been erected more recently than the abandonment of the monastery stands here as well. Its graven inscription reads: "A ghost of unholy mien was purged from this place by Theodephus Estrovan, servant of Aroden, 4691 ar."

Knowledge (religion) DC 5 (new roll):
The god Aroden is dead, and has been dead since the early 4600's.

Asad grins at the sculpture and says, "Hey Valik, that guy looks kinda like you. Same big muscles, same beard, same holier-than-thou look... Haha, just kidding."

There is no sign of pugwampi activity in the eastern alcove, so the party moves on to the western alcove. (If you wanted to do anything else in the east alcove, we can add it in.)

The western alcove is similar to the eastern; there is a similar sculpture of the bearded man, this time gesturing toward a huge mountain in the background, his face a picture of mortal concern.

Knowledge (local) DC 10:
The mountain depicted in the background is Pale Mountain, the tallest mountain in the Brazen Peaks, and the site of many fell legends. You saw its looming profile in person on the horizon... Was it only yesterday? So much has happened, it seems like a week has passed.

Merc knowledge rolls:
Asad:1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9
Dullen:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Travis:1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15

Asad elbows Dullen and whispers, "Look, it's Valik again!"

Dullen jumps a little, as jittery as ever, then shoves Asad back. "Knock it off." He looks at the sculpture, though, and says, "Hey, that looks like Pale Mountain." He looks sheepishly around, surprised how loud his voice seems in the quiet monastery.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

You know Valik doesn't have knowledge:religion yet. He isn't that bright on the Saranrae doctrine or history right now. It didn't fit with his backstory. Also, I kinda like him being oblivious and trying to interpret the Lady's teachings in his own, honest way. I expect that if he meets with another priest, or a group of paladins in the future, he will take the knowledge skill.

Know:local 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

"True, he does look a bit like me...although, I think I am far more handsome." Valik flexes a bit with a grin, then claps Asad on the back, "Just kidding Asad...hey, wait a second," Valik squints at the sculpture,"you are right. That is Pale Mountain. I don't know who the man is thought. I probably should, but the priest's lectures always put me to sleep."


Game Master

Ignorance is bliss, eh? You should still be able to get the DC 5, even untrained. That's basically common knowledge. I forgot to roll for the mercs on it, let's see...

More merc knowledge:
Asad: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3
Dullen: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19
Travis: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19

Travis, with a wry smile, whispers, "You know what I just thought of? That fancy carved post over there, from Theo-what's-his-name? It was made... uh..." He counts silently on his fingers, "twenty years ago, and Aroden's been gone for... at least a hundred, right? Bet that Theo-guy thought he was some holy warrior, what do they call it... a paladin, like."

Asad, never one to pass up a bawdy joke, replies, "Heh. By the looks of that post, he was compensating for something." The mercenaries snicker. They grow quiet and ready their weapons, however, as Valik and Dross begin to lead them down the steps into the chapel.

The short set of wide ceremonial steps leads down to a cavernous chapel in which the congregants would gather for sermons in happier times. The edges of the room are lit by the indistinct glow of stained glass windows in shades of red, orange, and yellow, pierced by rays of light where pieces of the glass have broken out. The vibrant orange and red starburst of Sarenrae still stands, now dull behind a film of rusted rainwater and dirt, along the north wall overlooking the collapsed altar. Between the stairs and the altar stand dozens of old marble benches, many overturned and even more broken into two or more pieces. A wide walkway bisects the pews, leading directly to the raised altar. Here and there a few clumps of the original red carpet along this thoroughfare hang on against rot and neglect.

Above the center of the chapel, dangling about ten feet from the floor, hangs a cluster of gnoll skulls in various stages of decay. Strung together like a ghoulish candelabra of twine and bone, the boulder-sized ornament hangs from the wooden rafters about twenty feet above the ground.

Map


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Know:Religion, untrained 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Know:Religion, untrained 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 Lol. Well he appears to be truly ignorant!

"Well that is creepy." Valik says, glancing up at the horrid collection of skulls. "This is odd, where are the little buggers? Dashki said he saw them...so we should have as well by now."


Game Master

Looking up at the bizarre collection of skulls, Valik and the others see that there is a partially collapsed balcony making a U-shape around the upper part of the room. Access was apparently by a metal-clad ladder which still stands at the end of the western balcony fragment. Decaying wooden rafters connect the remaining pieces of the balcony, and it is from these that the macabre chandelier hangs. The southeastern quarter of the rafters are taken up by a mass of shredded fibers that looks like it might once have been a rug.

As the mercenaries take this in, the rope holding up the skulls jerks and swings as a scrawny pugwampi wearing filthy rags climbs down to perch on top of the chandelier. It gives out a squeaky laugh and throws an obscene gesture at the party, then draws a tiny bow and nocks an arrow. At this signal, five more pugwampis emerge from the rotten chairs on the western balcony, also wielding bows and laughing.

initiative rolls:
Valik: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16; 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17
Dross: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14; 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Asad: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6; 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19
Dullen: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4; 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Travis: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9; 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

pug1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
pug2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
pug3: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
pug4: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
pug5: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
pug6: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

The Old Monastery
6 Sarenith, 4711
Mid-afternoon
Round 1

map (upper story is partially transparent; ladder in square Z-13)

Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the room, balconies, and rafters are all in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Order of action:
    pug2
    pug4
    pug5
    Valik
    pug6
    Dross
    pug3
    Travis
    pug1
    Asad
    Dullen


    Game Master

    GM rolls:
    pug2: target: 1d5 ⇒ 4; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 66; damage=1
    pug4: target: 1d5 ⇒ 2; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 17; damage=1
    pug5: target: 1d5 ⇒ 2; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 28; damage=1
    pug2 crit confirm: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

    Three of the quicker pugwampis fire arrows before any of the mercenaries have time to react; however, two of the arrows clatter to the stone stairs harmlessly; the third hits Dullen; fortunately the arrows are too small to do significant damage.

    Dullen -1 hp; currently 11/16 (still somewhat injured from gnoll fight yesterday)

    Valik is up.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    What is keeping the balcony suspended? Are there more rotten wood support beams underneath the balcony? So Valik can access the balcony by going up the ladder?


    Game Master

    The balcony is suspended on stone pillars, which extend through it to the ceiling; that much, at least, appears sturdy. The balcony and rafters are made of wood; given that most of the wooden items in the monastery have decayed, and that parts of the balcony have clearly collapsed already, it's not clear how much weight the balcony or rafters can bear. The ladder does go up to the balcony, near where the pugwampis are.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "They are going to keep shooting down at us, and we can't really get at them. Let's back out of the room and think about this for a moment."

    Valik waves the mercenaries back up the steps and out of the line of fire, then follows them up, stone arrows clipping the stairs at his heels.


    Game Master

    GM rolls:
    pug6- target:[1d4]; Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9; miss 1d100 ⇒ 92; damage: 1 = 1
    pug3- target:[1d3]; Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4; miss 1d100 ⇒ 9; damage: 1 = 1
    pug1- target:[1d2]; Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9; miss 1d100 ⇒ 94; damage: 1 = 1

    Merc rolls:
    Dullen- Attack1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17; Attack2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 96; damage: 1d8 ⇒ 2

    Three of the mercenaries follow Valik's orders and beat a hasty retreat, but Dullen raises his crossbow and fires off an expert shot, which catches one of the pugwampis in the chest. Unfortunately, the bolt seems to slide off the pugwampi, which cackles and makes an obscene gesture. Rolled low for damage, did not penetrate DR. Dullen curses and retreats with the others. Three more tiny arrows clatter harmlessly to the floor. Seeing the humans retreat, the gnolls cheer and laugh, calling after them with jeering growls and yips.

    Gnoll Language:
    "That's right, run, you overgrown monkeys!"
    "My turds are better warriors than you!"
    "I eat better warriors than you for breakfast!"
    "Yeah, Glimpo eats Jekkik's turds for breakfast better than you!"
    "Shuddup, turd-breath!"
    "King Moknokk will deal with you later!"
    "You can run, but you can't hide!"

    Joining the rest of the party in the nave, Dullen shrugs. "Thought I'd give it a shot, anyway."


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "It was worth the shot. Don't sweat it Dullen."

    Valik motions to the rubble. "I think that we can set up a barricade here. At least enough of this stuff can make us something to stand behind. I think that we can get them to come down and attack us...they don't seem that smart."

    Valik digs around until he finds the remains of a wooden table and pulls it over into the doorway.

    "I figure that we can wait here a few minutes and see if they attack, listening to them, they don't seem like they will be that hard to rile up."

    Gnoll:
    "That is it guys, move the wood over here. Those stupid rats are giving us all the time we need to build a big fire and burn those balconies down. It will be like a rat roast. I bet the little cowards jump off the balcony before they pop like cockroaches in the heat."


    Game Master

    Make a bluff check.

    The pugwampi on the skull chandelier has line of sight down the nave for quite a ways; remember the "doorway" is 40 ft wide. Are you fortifying one of the alcoves?


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    Yes, we will fortify the alcove.

    Bluff 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
    Bluff 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


    Game Master

    GM rolls:
    pug1 sense motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

    pug1 stealth (sneaks up to unluck everyone; use 1st roll) 1d20 + 17 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 17 + 1 = 35
    pug2 stealth (sneaks behind a pillar; 3 rounds; 55 ft, 55 ft, 25 ft)1d20 + 17 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 17 + 5 = 32;1d20 + 17 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 17 + 5 = 40;1d20 + 17 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 17 + 2 = 38
    pug3 stealth (sneaks behind a pillar; 3 rounds; 55 ft, 55 ft, 25 ft)1d20 + 17 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 17 + 5 = 32;1d20 + 17 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 17 + 5 = 37;1d20 + 17 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 17 + 2 = 33
    pug4 stealth (sneaks into opposite alcove; 1 round; 55 ft)1d20 + 17 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 17 + 5 = 41
    pug5 stealth (sneaks under bench; 1 round; 55 ft)1d20 + 17 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 17 + 5 = 36
    pug6 stealth (sneaks under bench; 1 round; 55 ft)1d20 + 17 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 17 + 5 = 35

    Asad perception rnd 1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
    rnd 2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21; 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
    rnd 3: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9; 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

    Dullen perception rnd 1: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
    rnd 2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18; 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
    rnd 3: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20; 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

    Dross perception rnd 1: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17
    rnd 2: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9; 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19
    rnd 3: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15; 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8

    Travis perception rnd 1: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
    rnd 2: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1; 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13
    rnd 3: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13; 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5

    round 1 attacks:
    pug2: target:1d5 ⇒ 4; attack:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20; damage: 1 = 1
    pug3: target:1d5 ⇒ 3; attack:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6; damage: 1 = 1
    pug4: target:1d5 ⇒ 4; attack:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10; damage: 1 = 1
    pug5: target:1d5 ⇒ 3; attack:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10; damage: 1 = 1
    pug6: target:1d5 ⇒ 2; attack:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13; damage: 1 = 1

    The pugwampis go silent when Valik starts talking about making a fire. The mercenaries hastily push together some wood to make a barricade (+4 AC for cover). A minute passes in tense, eerie silence, and then suddenly, pugwampis leap out from around corners and behind pillars. Another barrage of arrows flies toward the humans; most fly over their heads or hit the barrier. One is well enough aimed to catch Travis unawares, sticking under his arm while he is scratching an itch. Travis -1 hp; current 15/16

    The bad news is, they rolled well enough on all their stealth checks that you guys had no chance to notice them. The good news is, they rolled poorly on their attacks!


    Game Master

    The Old Monastery
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 1

    map

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel and part of the eastern alcove are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.

    Party: cover
    Pug1: ??
    Pug2 and Pug3: cover
    Pug4 and Pug5: concealment
    Pug6: concealment and cover

  • Initiative rolls:
    Valik: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5; 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
    Asad: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5; 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
    Dross: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18; 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
    Dullen: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7; 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
    Travis: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25; 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

    pug1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
    pug2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
    pug3: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
    pug4: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
    pug5: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
    pug6: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

    rolloff:

    Travis: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22; 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
    pug4: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
    pug6: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

    Initiative order:

    Pug1
    Pug2
    Pug5
    Dross
    Pug6
    Travis
    Pug4
    Pug3
    Dullen
    Asad
    Valik


    Game Master

    GM rolls:

    pug2 attack: target: 1d4 ⇒ 2; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12; damage: 1 = 1
    pug5 attack: target: 1d4 ⇒ 1; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21; damage: 1 = 1
    pug1 will DC 10 or laugh: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
    pug1 will DC 11 or laugh: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
    pug1 attack: target: 1d5 ⇒ 4; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6; damage: 1 = 1

    The pugwampis cackle and pepper the party with arrows; one catches Asad and draws a small amount of blood. Asad -1 hp; current hp 17/18 Another pugwampi, which was hidden, cannot contain its mirth, and begins to cackle. Its cover blown, it steps out of hiding, immediately on the other side of the barricade, and fires an arrow, which flies harmlessly into the ceiling. Pug1 is in AD-15 The other pugwampis join in with their squealy laughs as well.

    You can give orders for the mercenaries and do Valik's turn all at once.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "Work together! Assad, Travis aim at the one straight ahead and to the left, everyone else the one straight and to the right!

    Pug 5
    Unlucky sling 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
    Unlucky sling 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
    Unlucky damage 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
    Unlucky damage 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


    Game Master

    You don't need to roll damage twice; only d20 rolls are unlucky. 4 and 5 have concealment from dim illumination, so there is a 20% miss chance, but you missed your attack roll anyway, so no worries.

    Mercenary rolls:
    Dross: unlucky longbow vs. pug4; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18; 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 41; damage 1d8 ⇒ 4 (18 arrows remain)
    Travis: unlucky shortbow vs. pug4; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9; 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 69; damage 1d6 ⇒ 6 (19 arrows remain)
    Dullen: unlucky crossbow vs. pug5; attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16; 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 74; damage 1d8 ⇒ 6 (17 bolts remain)
    Asad: unlucky sling vs. pug4; attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6; 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 3; damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 (19 bullets remain)

    GM rolls:
    Pug6: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 4; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7; damage:1 = 1
    Pug4: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 3; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17; damage:1 = 1
    Pug3: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 1; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23; damage:1 = 1
    Pug3 confirm: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22; crit damage: 2 = 2

    The pugwampis and mercenaries exchange mostly futile barrages of arrows. Dross has a good shot lined up, but a piece of ceiling tile, dislodged by a wild pugwampi arrow, clatters to the ground just as he is firing, breaking his concentration. How unlucky! Dullen lies down on the floor behind the barricade, firing through a small gap in the assembled rubble (+8 ac improved cover, +4 ac vs ranged attacks while prone), and manages to hit the pugwampi on the right, despite the shadows it is lurking in. Although the arrow seems to slow down just before it hits, it still buries itself in the little creature's side. It squeals and runs screaming back into the chapel.

    Gnoll:
    "It hurts, it hurts! Aaah!"

    One of the pugwampis behind the pillars gets off a good shot against Asad; despite its small size, the arrow finds a gap in his armor and buries itself painfully in his stomach. Critical hit; Asad -3 hp; 14/18


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 2

    map

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel and part of the eastern alcove are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • [i]Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gived +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.

    Party: cover
    Pug2 and Pug3: cover
    Pug4: concealment
    Pug1 and Pug6: concealment and cover


  • Turn order:

    Pug1
    Pug2
    Dross
    Pug6
    Travis
    Pug4
    Pug3
    Dullen
    Asad
    Valik


    Game Master

    Mercenary rolls:
    Dross: unlucky longbow vs. pug4; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21; 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 2; damage 1d8 ⇒ 2 (17 arrows remain)
    Travis: unlucky shortbow vs. pug4; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17; 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 57; damage 1d6 ⇒ 6 (18 arrows remain)
    Dullen: unlucky crossbow vs. pug4; attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7; 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 56; damage 1d8 ⇒ 6 (16 bolts remain)
    Asad: unlucky sling vs. pug4; attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10; 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 8; damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 (18 bullets remain)

    GM rolls:
    Pug1: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 3; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4; damage:1 = 1
    Pug2: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 3; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11; damage:1 = 1
    Pug6: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 2; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16; damage:1 = 1
    Pug4: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 2; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15; damage:1 = 1
    Pug3: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 1; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10; damage:1 = 1

    The mercenaries focus their fire on the leftward pugwampi. Dross misjudges its location in the shadows and misses, but Travis hits it squarely. Like its predecessor, as soon as it is bloodied, it runs screaming back to the chapel. As the pugwampis' little arrows clatter around the party harmlessly, Asad says, "What now, Valik?"


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "I think we softened them up enough, I think that they are ready to break. Let's charge them!"

    As he draws his scimitar from its sheath with a steely ring, Valik works his way up to the barricade and attacks the nearest pugwumpi.

    Attack Pugwumpi 11d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
    Attack Pugwumpi 11d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
    Damage1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

    At close range do the critters still have concealment?


    Game Master

    Yes, the ones in shadow have concealment even up close; if you are also in the shadows, then you get it against them too of course.
    Remember your scimitar got broken in the first pugwampi fight; I guess you're using your hand axe now?

    Asad drops his sling and steps up next to Valik, swinging his huge curved sword at the pugwampi on the other side of the barrier. Unluckily, the shadows make it hard to see the little creature, and the legs of the table make it hard to wield such a large weapon; the blade buries itself in the wood right over the little creature's head. This silences its annoying cackle for a moment, but it begins again shortly.

    Gnoll:
    "Haha, big man with a big sword, huh? We'll see about that..."

    Dullen, unable to close in on the closest pugwampi and not really equipped for close quarters combat, turns his attention to the pugwampi hiding behind the nearest pillar; his shot takes a chip out of the stone pillar, but has no other effect.


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 3

    map

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel and part of the eastern alcove are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.

    Party: cover
    Pug2 and Pug3: cover
    Pug1 and Pug6: concealment and cover


  • Game Master

    GM rolls:
    Pug1: shatter against Asad's nodachi
    Pug2: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 4; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18; damage: 1 = 1
    Pug6: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 4; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16; damage: 1 = 1
    Pug4: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 4; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18; damage: 1 = 1
    Pug3: shortbow; target: 1d4 ⇒ 1; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15; damage: 1 = 1

    Mercenaries:
    Asad unlucky AoO against Pug1: attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18; 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 73; damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
    Dross unlucky climb over barricade, DC 5: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7;1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
    unlucky longbow vs. pug2; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13; 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 82; damage 1d8 ⇒ 8 (16 arrows remain)
    Travis unlucky climb over barricade, DC 5: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11;1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
    unlucky shortbow vs. pug2; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6; 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 3; damage 1d6 ⇒ 6 (17 arrows remain)
    Dullen: unlucky crossbow vs. pug2; attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19; 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 94; damage 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 (15 bolts remain)
    Asad unlucky climb over barricade, DC 5: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14;1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5, closes to pugwampi.

    The pugwampi closes its eyes, and Asad's nodachi begins to ring, just like Valik's scimitar had done the night before. Alarmed, Asad takes the opportunity to swing again at the creature while it isn't paying attention. This time, he slashes its belly open, and it collapses, blood spraying the base of the barricade. The pugwampis concentrate their fire on Asad and Valik in retaliation, but the arrows bounce off their steel armor. Asad roars in triumph as he, Dross, and Travis clamber over the barricade. Dross, Travis, and Dullen provide cover fire as Asad closes on the nearest pugwampi. Dross and Travis's arrows glance off the pillar, though without the exaggerated mishaps that had characterized their effort until now, and Dullen manages a glancing hit, though the creature seems undamaged. "I think our luck is changing!" says Dross.

    Climbing over the barricade takes a move action, and is a DC 5 climb check. Map before Valik's turn.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "Over the barricade! Let's take the fight to them!" Valik shouts, waving his sword forward.

    Climb 1d20 ⇒ 11
    Climb 1d20 ⇒ 20

    Valik backs up a few paces then dashes forward and jumps, hurdleing over the barricade, he lands on the other side, roaring in triumph. As soon as he has his footing he dashes forward towards the pugwumpi hiding behind the pillar waving his scimitar.

    Move to AE/21.


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 4

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel and part of the eastern alcove are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • [i]Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.

    Asad: cover
    Dross & Travis: concealment
    Dullen: improved cover (+8/+4)
    Valik: -
    Pug2 and Pug3: cover
    Pug6: concealment and cover


  • Turn order:
    Pug2
    Dross
    Pug6
    Travis
    Pug3
    Dullen
    Asad
    Valik


    Game Master

    GM rolls:
    Pug2 withdraws
    Pug6: shortbow vs Valik; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13; damage: 1 = 1
    Pug3: shortbow vs. Valik; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16; damage: 1 = 1

    Mercenary rolls:
    Dullen: unlucky crossbow vs. pug2; attack: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 - 4 = 3; 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 - 4 = 19; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 15; damage 1d8 ⇒ 3 (14 bolts remain)[/ooc]

    Faced with the bloodthirsty Asad, wielding his huge curved sword, one pugwampi dodges behind its pillar and scampers down into the chapel to hide under a bench. Dross hurries after it, putting away his bow and drawing his longsword while he runs. Dullen shoots after it, but bacause he has to avoid hitting Dross, the shot misses pathetically.

    The pugwampi that has been under a bench all along fires an arrow at Valik, but misses. Travis heads off to engage it, drawing his greatsword along the way.

    The pugwampi nearest Valik looks around nervously, and fires a shot at Valik. At close range, with Valik in the open and clearly lit, the pugwampi shoots true, and its tiny arrow lodges in Valik's thigh. -1 hp. The creature then turns tail and runs through the open archway behind it. Door at AH-23 Asad looks to Valik for orders.

    Map at Valik's turn

    I know my posts are long, so you probably missed it when I reminded you last time, but remember your scimitar is broken.

    401 to 450 of 920 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
    Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Magister Ludi's Legacy of Fire, book 1: Howl of the Carrion King All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.

    ©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.