Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Magister Ludi's Legacy of Fire

Game Master Gordon the Whale

In the barren wastes of the Brazen Peaks, secrets await those brave enough to find them.


101 to 150 of 920 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Game Master

Anyone who searches the gnolls:
Each gnoll is carrying two spears and is wearing a suit of battered leather armor. They have various bits of bone and feathers woven into their matted fur. The gnoll on the left also carries 2 dinars (gp), 13 dhirams (sp), and 41 nummis (cp). The gnoll on the right has 4 dinars, 28 dhirams, and 39 nummis, and wears a crudely carved stone pendant, which depicts a 7-legged spider whose body is a gaping many-fanged mouth.
Knowledge (local) DC 17:
Based on the style of their bone-and-feather ornamentation, these gnolls are from the Kulldis tribe.
Knowledge (local) DC 22:
The Kulldis tribe are one of the various local tribes that have been recently united under the loose hegemony of the Carrion Tribe, which is led by a powerful but mysterious gnoll called the Carrion King.
Knowledge (religion) DC 10, untrained OK:
The pendant is a holy symbol of Rovagug, the Rough Beast, god of destruction. The gnoll wearing it doesn't have any of the other trappings of a cleric of Rovagug, and is probably a lay follower.
Knowledge (religion) DC 15:
Although the temperament of most gnolls is a good match for the bloodthirsty, all-consuming destruction that Rovagug represents, gnolls throughout Golarion follow Lamashtu, the Mother of Monsters, equally wild and evil, who they believe to be their creator. A gnoll bearing the mark of Rovagug is an distinct oddity.

Expect a post about the journey to find Almah's group later today.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

rolls:

Knowledge: Local 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Know: Religion 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

"These gnolls are Kulldis. They are one of the bigger local tribes that has recently joined up with the big Carrion tribe which is led by a jumped up gnoll who calls itself the Carrion King."


Game Master

I assume one of you will take the coins from the gnolls; let me know if you are also looting their gear, or doing anything else. I don't anticipate anything you do to/with them will have immediate effects, so I'm moving on.

The five mercenaries make their way northeast, following the road. Valik takes the lead, looking for the main body of the expedition, and the mysteriously named "Sultan's Claw." Dross leads Garavel's camel, and the other three keep a look out for further danger. Although the stretcher does slow (and annoy) the camel, it is still able to keep up with the walking speed of the armored men. Garavel occasionally groans as he is jostled by the stretcher dragging on the uneven ground, but overall his condition seems unchanged and he does not regain consciousness.

As the day wears on, the end of the chain of hills that the road has been skirting draws near, and the travellers can again see the flats; here, the land is dryer, and the savannah around Solku has been replaced by a plain full of thorny scrub. In the tangle of indimidating vegetation, a few wild pesh cacti can be seen. Fortunately, the road remains clear of brambles. Late in the afternoon, the road turns north , apparently to cross the line of hills, which have become mush smaller and less rugged. After passing over the top of the chain, Valik glimpses, over the crest of the next hill, a single huge, craggy tree, with five gnarled and mostly leafless branches, looking like a skeletal hand rising into the sky. The Sultan's Claw?

As the party nears the top of the hill, they see thick black smoke begin to rise near the gnarled tree. Cresting the rise, they see before them a camp set up in a clear area around the base of the tree. Camels in a nearby pen prance in agitation, and a clutch of confused goats and livestock wander the grounds around the wagons. Perhaps a dozen men and women rush around the campsite, chasing down an animal or hastening toward the center of the cluster, near the Sultan's Claw, with pails of water in their hands. One of the wagons is on fire!

Map to come later today. We will do this by rounds, because time is important, but we don't need to worry about initiative order unless fighting breaks out.


HP:15/15

" Fire! Damn. " Dross moves as fast as possible towards the Camel pen.

Handle Animal:
Incase it's needed 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0


Game Master

The Sultan's Claw
5 Sarenith, 4711
Almost sunset
Round 1 - Encounter Map

Lush orange and red flames engulf an elaborate wooden wagon emblazoned with painted moons and stars. A woman in a finely made robe and two men in matching armor and livery are running back and forth to a nearby wagon carrying buckets of water to throw on the fire. A short distance away, two more men in armor and livery are attempting to pull another wagon away before the flames spread. Nearby, an old, wrinkled man is tending to two figures that seem to be suffering from severe burns. Finally, a middle-aged man and woman are trying to gather up the panicked camels and goats that are milling about the camp.

Dross's attempts to calm the animals are unsuccessful; in fact, the camel he approaches runs even farther afield.


The finely dressed woman looks up to see the party arrive. Help us! she cries, her voice carrying a well-practiced air of command.


HP:15/15
Dross the sellsword wrote:

" Fire! Damn. " Dross moves as fast as possible towards the Camel pen.

** spoiler omitted **

Sorry. I must have been really distracted when I wrote that. Dross was moving toward the camel pen with the intent to tie our camels to a fence post on the outside to ensure they couldn't run dragging poor Garavel with them.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"Wonderful. We really needed to send up a beacon for the gnolls to find us."

Is there a spring near by? Or are they pouring drinking water on the wagon?

"Divide and conquer men! Dross and Travis, good idea, do your best to deal with the camels and get these people to stop acting like chickens. Confused people usually take orders from whoever is the loudest. So be loud and get them settled down. Asad, Dullen, we get to deal with the fire. We move!"

Valik runs flat out across the camp to get to the burning wagon, arms pumping as he moves, weapons flapping as he dodges a few stray chickens.

80' or so? Can I get there this round and act/talk next round?


Game Master

The supply wagon has a big barrel of water in it. That is what they are currently using to put out the fire. There is no other obvious supply of water nearby.
A full-round run will get any of you to the wagon on fire, the supply wagon, the wagon being pulled out of the way, the wounded people, or anything else in that general area. A move action will get you to the animals.

@Dross: I will allow you to tie up your own camels, even with that low Handle Animal roll. The lead rope is long enough to reach the corner of the pen without needing to move the camel.


HP:15/15

Dross ties the rope to the pen barely managing it as the camel is so skittish, then following Valiks orders he yells at the top of his voice at the people running to and fro.
" Oye!! That is no way to handle a fire! Everybody form a line through the camp. Take a empty bucket and pass it back as you pass a full bucket towards the fire! Now!"

Intimidate:
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10


Game Master

No posts from Dullen, Travis, or Asad for 2 days. GMPC'd.

Asad and Dullen follow Valik at a run across the camp, arriving breathlessly at the burning wagon. They find that there are several extra buckets lying around.

Meanwhile, Travis attempts to help with rounding up the livestock.

Handle Animal: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14

He is nearly trampled by a camel, and as he is dodging away, a goat butts him, knocking him down. He pulls himself up. This is not working... he thinks.


The middle-aged man who is attempting to calm the animals sees Travis's attempt, and the results, and yells irritably, "No, no, not like that! You'll just scare 'em more, a stranger going after 'em like that! Go help somewhere where you can be useful!" He gestures broadly in the direction of the burning wagon.


The woman rolls her eyes at Dross's speech. "I'm in charge here, quit giving orders and help us, whoever you are!" At the arrival of Valik, Asad, and Dullen, she nods pointedly in the direction of the empty pails on the ground, and resumes her efforts to put out the fire.


The old man moves from one of the two still figures lying on the ground to the other. He has a small charcoal burner set up next to him, and he is hurriedly pouring strangely colored liquids into a tiny, complex glass apparatus set on top of it. "Hang in there, lass," he murmurs to his unconscious patient. He wiping his sweaty brow and blows a sigh through pursed lips. "These things take time..."


Game Master

The Sultan's Claw
5 Sarenith, 4711
Almost sunset
Round 2

The two guards attempting to pull the second wagon out of danger grunt and heave, but make no progress. One of them calls out, "It's too heavy, Ameera!"


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Valik grabs a bucket and runs over to the barrel, then suddenly realizes that there is no other water present. He whirls in place and faces the woman with a hard stare.

"You are in charge lady, but I must ask you, is anyone still in the wagon? Is there anything in the wagon that must be saved? And if this is our drinking water, where is the nearest clean source of water for us to refil?"

As he speaks, Valik allows no more people to approach the barrel, waiting for the woman's answer.

"I will not watch people and animals die of thirst just to put out a fire on a wagon."


The woman draws herself up, her tone haughty. "You fool! Get out of the way! The Pale River is just a few miles off and my fortune-teller is in the wagon! She pushes past Valik and dips another bucket of water from the barrel.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"Bleeding idiot." Valik upends a pail of water over himself, splashing the woman in the process. He then dashes into the burning wagon, his wet sleeve pressed against his mouth.


Game Master

The wagon is blazing furiously now. Despite the woman's words, it is doubtful whether anyone inside could possibly survive. A billow of sparks flies up as a beam collapses, and a single singed piece of paper -- a card, perhaps -- floats to the ground at Valik's feet.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

? Is Valik seeing the card inside the wagon?


Game Master

Nope, we got crossed-posts. Given the observation that it's doubtful anyone could still be alive inside, do you still want to rush into the wagon? It's got style.


HP:15/15

Dross shrugs at the womans admonishment and looks about for where he can help. Seeing the men straining at the second wagon he runs across to help taking a pale of water to throw at the fire as he goes. looks like I can't make it all the way this round?

Magister Ludi wrote:
Nope, we got crossed-posts. Given the observation that it's doubtful anyone could still be alive inside, do you still want to rush into the wagon? It's got style.

It certainly does!


Travis, ineffective at herding the animals, rushes to the water barrel to fight the fire.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Its a stupid paladinish thing to do. If someone tells a firefighter that someone is inside a burning building, they are going to try to get the person out. Valik knows he is going to get hurt. She said that someone is in there, so he is going in to try and help.


Game Master

Love it.

A Valik rushes into the burning wagon, smoke and waves of heat blur his vision. His wet clothes steam but do not catch on fire. He can barely make out a human form sprawled on the floor in the middle of the wagon, its skin blackened and its clothing ablaze. Could this unfortunate soul still be alive?

Heat effects:
Damage from heat: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Save vs. smoke inhalation: Fort DC 15 (+4 bonus for wet sleeve over mouth): 1d20 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 3 + 4 = 26=>success
Valik will be able to act normally on Round 3.


Asad Will also be rushing water to the wagon, and will standby in case Valik needs help getting out!

"Valik! You crazy or something!? Are ye okay in there?!"


Game Master

The Sultan's Claw
5 Sarenith, 4711
Almost Sunset
Round 3

The woman blanches as Valik rushes into the burning wagon, and then redoubles her efforts, directing the guards and mercenaries to do the same. Meanwhile, the old man fiddles desperately with his strange apparatus. One of the other two guards, still pulling desperately at the second wagon, yells out, "The flames are getting closer!"

GM only:
Fire original size: 40
Round 1: NPCs: 3 buckets => 35
Round 2: NPCs & Asad & Dullen: 5 buckets => 30
Round 3 (presumably): NPCs & Asad & Dullern & Dross & Travis: 7 buckets =>23

Guard 1 strength check (assist): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5=> Fail
Guard 2 strength check (DC 22): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7=>Fail

Kallien HP: -8


The old man looks up briefly from his work at the guard's words, his face pale. "But my chemicals are in there! They'll explode!" He looks desperately up at the wagon, then back at the injured form on the ground beside him, as if trying to come to a decision. Steeling his face, he resumes his complex mixing. "Don't let it catch!"


HP:15/15

Dross move the rest of the way to the burning wagon shakin his head at the young Valik's heroics. " Going to get himself killed" he mutters to himself as he hurls his water at the base of the flames.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Acrid smoke stinging his eyes and the infernal heat causing licks of pain across his legs and arms, Valik lunges forward, grabs the form lying prone on the floor, and lurches out of the burning wagon, stumbling a few steps before dropping the person to the ground. Valik falls to his knees as well, and sucks in a great gulp of air a second before he is wracked with a horrible coughing fit that shakes his body.

After a second he climbs back to his feet and looks around, at the situation, his eyes blood-red from the smoke and tears streaking down his cheeks.


The woman drops her bucket and rushes to the side of the burned figure. "Elois!" She reaches out to touch him, but stops, as if afraid she might injure him... Or afraid of touching a corpse. "Is he... Is he... Alive?" she whispers.


Game Master

The Sultan's Claw
5 Sarenith, 4711
Almost Sunset
Round 4

The guards and mercenaries continue to pour buckets of water onto the burning wagon as fast as they can; they seem to be slowing the fire somewhat, but the paint on the edge of the second wagon is beginning to crack and peel from the heat; it will catch soon. The two guards pulling the second wagon give a might heave, and the wagon rocks a little on its wheels, but settles back to its original position.

The woman remains kneeling next to Valik and the burned Elois, and the old man continues fiddling with his apparatus, muttering under his breath, "Nethys, give me speed..."

GM only:
Fire size: 23

guards strength checks: assist: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17=>success
pull wagon (DC 22): 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 1 + 2 = 20=>close!

Kallien hp: -9 (con 12)
Elois hp: -9 (con 10)


HP:15/15

Tossing his bucket aside and moving to the other wagon Dross put his shoulder to the back of it. "One more time men!"! heaving with everything he has as the wagon rocks on its wheels.

Str check:
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Seeing Dross pulling at the unburned wagon, Valik decides that is the best place to help and lends his shoulder.

His face red and his eyes tearing, he stumbles over to the wagon and leans heavily on it, still coughing every few breaths. Then as Dross pushes, he does also, and quickly they set up a rocking motion.

Str Check:
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20


Asad will assist with the unburned wagon as well.

Str Check::
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Game Master

As flames lick ever closer to the unburned wagon, Dullen and Travis rush to lend their strength to their comrades two guards attempting to move it.

rolls:
Valik has the highest strength bonus, so all other rolls will be to assist him.
Dullen Str(assist): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11=>Success (+2)
Travis Str(assist): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13=>Success (+2)
Guard 1: Str(assist): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6=>Failure
Guard 2: Str(assist): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21=>Success (+2)
Valik's total roll: 20+8=28 => Success

Together, the seven men manage to push the wagon well out of the reach of the flames, just as a section of the roof of the first wagon collapses in a whoosh of flame and sparks.


The old man looks up, a measure of relief on his still worried countenance. "Good work lads! Now if only I can finish this blasted infusion in time to save Kallien..."


"Infusion, of course!" the woman cries, and digs in a small bag tied around her waist. She pulls out a vial, and carefully empties its contents into the cracked and blackened lips of the burned figure before her. Her patient takes a breath and coughs spasmodically, but he does not regain consciousness.


Game Master

The Sultan's Claw
5 Sarenith, 4711
Almost Sunset
Round 5

The immediate danger from the wagon of explosive chemicals averted, the two guards that had been working to move in nod their appreciation to the newcomers, and rush to the supply wagon, where they grab buckets and join in the effort to extinguish the flames.

Meanwhile, the middle aged couple on the other side of the camp have made some headway in recapturing the frightened animals. Those that remain free, however, are straying further from the camp, and a few have begun to browse on the thorny scrub nearby.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"I am useless with animals. I will help put out the fire. Keep your eyes open though. I expect that we will have gnoll visitors soon enough. Certainly, if I was a gnoll, I would come and check out what all the commotion was."

Valik joins the guards in their attempt to put the fire out.


HP:15/15

With the Wagon moved Dross looks about. Camels are life in the desert! "Good luck with the fire." he runs after the camels trying his best not to chase them further away.

Handle Animal:
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9


Asad will help with the Camels.

"Easy thar ma humped friends!"

Handle Animal:

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

"As stubborn as a woman you are, you blasted camels!"


Game Master

The Sultan's Claw
5 Sarenith, 4711
Almost Sunset
Round 6

Dross and Asad chase off into the brush to try to wrangle the camels, but have no luck; the animals move away from them, only running further away. The two herders have somewhat more luck.

Meanwhile, Travis, Dullen, Valik, and the four guards form a bucket brigade, pouring water onto the burning wagon. The woman remains at the side of the burned man for a moment, holding his hand, then comes to herself, stands up, and joins in with an abrupt, businesslike manner. The fire is noticibly diminished, but still burns.

GM only:
Fire Size: 15
Kallien HP: -11


The old man, still working at his alchemicy kit, pauses while a pale green liquid inside a retort boils gently, dripping into another vessel. He examines his patient, while keeping a practiced eye on the retort. He stutters out, "She... She's fading fast!" He looks up at the bucket brigade, "Can anyone help her?"


HP:15/15

Handle Animal:
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10

"ARRGH! Stupid beast!" Dross exclaims as the camel he was sneaking up on sees him and runs even further a field.


Game Master

The firefighters' bucket brigade efficiently end the fire after a few more tense seconds. A collective sigh passes through the camp as the last flames are splashed away, leaving the once ornate wagon a blackened, steaming wreck. The guards clap each other and the newcomers on the back. The camp's water supply is diminished, but enough remains for several days.

Attitude adjustments:
All NPCs began indifferent to the party members. Changes are as follows:

Almah: Friendly to Travis and Dullen for helping with the fire; Helpful to Valik for saving the fortune teller at great personal risk.

Guards: Friendly to the whole party for assistance in moving the wagon and fighting the fire.

Hadrod & Hadrah (herders): Unfriendly to Dross, Travis, and Asad for scaring their livestock.


The woman drops her bucket to the ground and moves to once again kneel beside the burned man that Valik pulled from the burning wagon. "My thanks to you, effendi. We all thought Elois was certainly doomed. Now, I think he will survive, though his burns are most grievous." She gives another fond glance at the man, then stands to address the newcomers with a gracious but formal expression and a cultivated accent. "But where are my manners? Welcome, honored guests, to the Sultan's Claw, and our camp. I am the Ameera Almah Roveshki, leader of this expedition, and representative of the Pactmasters to these uncivilized lands. Who might you be, that have stumbled upon us just at our hour of need?"


"Go on, git away from 'em, you're doin' more harm than good! Great brutes ye are..." The middle-aged woman shoos Asad and Dross away from the camel pen peevishly, and then returns to cajoling a goat back to the pen.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Valik comes over to where the old man labors with the injured person, his visage a mess of sweat streaked ash. Oozing blisters on his arms stain his shirt.

"I can try." Valik says as he wipes soot off his face.

He kneels down and renders what assistance he can to the old man's attempts to heal the woman.

Heal 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


Assume this happens before Almah's speech.

"Many thanks, Sahib... I hope it is not too late for her."

Valik attempts to care for the injured woman, but he is unable to tell whether his efforts are in vain. In less than a minute, the older man hastily decants a yellow liquid from his apparatus into a vial, and gently pours it into the woman's throat. Both men hold their breath for a moment, but there seems to be no effect.

"Ah... Well," the old man's shoulders slump, and a tear runs down the old man's cheek. "We tried our best, didn't we? She was just too badly burned, I guess. I... at least I managed to save Utarchus there." He gestures to the other figure on the ground near him, also badly burned and unconscious, but clearly breathing. He looks around the camp forlornly, but then notices Almah kneeling at the side of Elois. "Oh! Someone got Elois out!" He attempts to stand and winces as his old joints creak. "I say, young Sahib, could you help an old man up?"

101 to 150 of 920 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Magister Ludi's Legacy of Fire, book 1: Howl of the Carrion King All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.