Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Magister Ludi's Legacy of Fire

Game Master Gordon the Whale

In the barren wastes of the Brazen Peaks, secrets await those brave enough to find them.


751 to 800 of 920 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>

Game Master

Ipeq, 22 Desnus, 4711. Knowledge (religion) DC 20:
You recall the rest of the story:

When dragons and genies did battle and the people hid in fear of Rovagug’s hordes, their prayers went to Sarenrae, goddess of light, compassion, and healing. A thousand times, the Dawnflower bound their wounds and gave them courage.

But, after a thousand and one answers to the wounded and the dying, Sarenrae ignored their pleas. Instead, the Dawnflower spoke to the other gods. “Rovagug sinks entire lands and buries cities. No healing can help the dead, and we owe no compassion to the Rough Beast and his endless slaughter. I have a plan.”

With her sword of light, Sarenrae cut a shining hole in the world, in a distant region of the Windswept Wastes where even the genies wandered friendless and alone. To that place, the archdevil Asmodeus lured the god of destruction and wrath, promising greater power, greater chaos, and an end to all things.

Asmodeus said, “Behold, a hole in the world. If you examine it, you may learn how the world was unmade here, and then you may unmake it yourself.” Rovagug reached forward with worm-like limbs and sightless eyes; his million teeth picked at the ragged edge of the hole.

Sarenrae pushed Rovagug through the hole with the help of the other gods, for none of them alone could hold the beast for long. Asmodeus sealed the rift of light with a key of darkness that only he could hold, and thus was made the Pit of Gormuz.

The gods celebrated their victory over the ravening madness that might have destroyed creation, but Rovagug yet lived. It is said that the Prince of Hell, Asmodeus, god of slavery, smiled and was content from that day forward. For whatever else might come, he held the only key to Rovagug’s eternal prison, and thus, held the fate of the world in his dark, clawed hands."


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Valik awakens with a start, swinging his arm and almost catching Dross across the temple, as he jerks back to consciousness.

"Gah!!..." He sits up, blinking for a moment, collecting himself.

"Well the Father was right about one thing. Those tonics of his don't taste that bad...a bit like eating a fist full of herbs, not great, but not bad. Thank you Dross. What happened to the bird? Also, did anyone check the corpse over there?" Valik asks, pointing at the body lying in the center of the courtyard.


Game Master

Dross dodges Valik's flailing arm. "Hey! Let's stick to verbal thanks here."

Asad wipes sweat from his forehead and grins, showing his uneven, broken teeth. "We scared the bird away." he and Travis exchange a high-five, but then he grimaces. "One of those fancy-boy guards shot it down as it was leaving. Crashed on the other side of the wall." He gestures tot he east as Dross, Dullen, and Travis nod their agreement.

None of the other mercenaries except Utarchus seem to have known there was anything in the nest, but Utarchus is climbing over the walls of woven branches, and calls back, "Northerner, by the looks of 'im."

Travis perks up and starts to move toward the nest. "There's somebody in there? He got anything expensive on him?"

Utarchus finishes his climb into the nest. The walls block sight of all but his head and shoulders, and these too soon disappear as he bends down to examine the man. "Nah, nothin' but some raggy clothes." Travis's face falls. After a few more moments, Utarchus's head appears over the edge of the nest, and he calls back, "Hey, I think he's alive!"


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"Bird food eh? Well see if you can get a potion into him and wake him up. If he's got any weapons on him, you should probably relieve him of them first though...no telling what kind of person he is."

With Dross's aid Valik gets back on his feet, all be it a bit unsteadily.


Game Master

Dross tosses one of the remaining infusions to Utarchus, who disappears back down into the nest.

Felliped:
Cure Light Wounds Infusion: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5; current hp 2.

You awaken with the remains of an odd, medicinal fluid in your mouth, lying in some sort of hollow made of sticks, with an ugly, smelly man dressed in the garb of a desert native leaning over you. Everything hurts -- especially your head.

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

Felliped draws in a huge breath, his eyes open a crack. He exclaims sharply in pain "Aagh " his left hand whipping up to hold his head. seeing the man in desert garb leaning over him he puts his right arm up weakly to defend himself What is digging into my back? Sticks? Oh no! he cries out in a hoarse voice " Help! By the gods help! They're going to eat me! "

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

The taste of medicinal fluid filters through the pain in Felliped's head, memories flash through his brain. He opens his eyes wider against the glare. " No, wait... I escaped from the Gnolls. I'm sorry, I'm a little disoriented. Where am I? " he says the amount of pain he's in still evident in his voice.


Game Master

Utarchus squints at the newcomer, then bursts out laughing. "It's a live one, a'ight." He reaches down a callused hand to help Felliped to his feet. "We jest saved y' from becomin' bird food. What happened 'fore that, can't say. As f'r where y' are..." He squints and looks around. "Well, in a giant bird nest, f'r starters. Nest is in a ruined buildin', out in th' Uwagi highlan's. Nearby a town called Kelmarane." He shrugs. "Question is, where'd y' come from -- aside from th' sky, that is?"

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

Felliped holds his aching head and tries to think back through the pesh induced haze. " Uhg, Uwagi highlands? The Gnolls! " He exclaims. " We were captured by the Gnolls Theodric and I, as well as our guide Ali. I need to find help! " it's a few moments before in his disoriented and hung over state before Felliped realises Utarchus may want more of an explanation. " huh. Well the Gnolls had captured us while we were exploring a ruined temple of sarenrae, they took us back to Kelmarane they all live there, the Gnolls, and they're led by a giant of a man Kardswann. Anyway I managed to break out of my cell with a bone as a pick but before I could release my friends I heard the guards coming... I had to run... Yeah I couldn't have won that fight. So I went looking for help in the desert. I had no water but I broke a cactus and got some out of that. It was pretty bitter but I bet old Ali would have been proud of me for thinking of that. The sun was hot and I could feel my skin beginning to burn and then I found... The library? Is that right? Um well I took shelter in this library and I decided to read some books while I waited for the sun to go down. Though every time I opened a book Ali's head would pop out and say 'Felliped you need to find shade!' and that was pretty weird because I was already in a building... Yeah... Any way I must have fallen asleep and I never saw any bird? When I woke up I was here... Could you help me up I've got a splitting headache! " Felliped looks really confused as he tells the tale of the library like he trying to work out if all that really happened.


One by one, the mercenaries start to laugh, until the courtyard rings with their hilarity. Utarchus claps Felliped on the shoulder, heedless of the sunburn. "Hahaha! Drank th' cactus water! That cactus is all pesh, boy!"


The mercenaries' laughter is cut off by the entrance of Garavel and Almah. Garavel's voice rings out, calm but penetrating. "Silence!"


Almah strides past Garavel out into the courtyard. "My guards report that the bird has been dealt with. Is this so? Is anyone--" She stops when she sees Felliped standing in the nest and blinks in surprise for a few seconds. "Who is that man?"

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

" Ow! " Felliped flinches as he's slapped. " What?.. Pesh? " he starts laughing along like someone who doesn't quite get the joke but who wants to fit in till Garavel yells. He sits up wincing trying to get a look at what's happening which only hurts his head more " Oowww! " He holds his head either unaware of Almah's question or in to much pain to answer.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"Ameera, the man has not introduced himself, but I think that his name is Felliped...he sounds a bit like a pesh-addled madman to me.", Valik says from the archway.

"One of the guards caught the bird with an arrow as it was attempting to flee. Apparently it fell over the wall, so it might be prudent to send someone to get it."

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

" uh? Yes, Felliped Leroung. I'm a pathfinder. Apparently a bird dropped me? Ooph! " Felliped says getting to his feet but then toppling back onto his bottom still dizzy from heatstroke.

Grand Lodge

HP 15, AC 14/Touch 8/Flat-Foot 14, Fort 4/Ref -2/Will 7, Perception +8, Init -2

Ipeq, 22 Desnus, 4711:

"Yes, many blessings Hamiq; may your travels be by shade, may your transactions be secure, and most importantly, may your tills always find themselves balanced. You have my thanks for your hospitality and referral."

With a jesting smile and the wink for luck, Theodric will offer Hamiq a firm grasp of the arm and be on his way with his newly rounded company as soon as they are ready to go.

"Haha, Ali, my new friend, 'supplied for the trip' hardly characterizes our preparation. We're going to need you from step one, and I'm confident that your services and company will be worth every gold piece in that bulging purse you now find in your possession. What I do have are the finest of Taldan blankets and bedding, a couple waterskins, and a reinforced silk tent large enough for the three of us, commissioned straight from the palace looms of Taldor. As you can see, I would hate to compromise all comfort during my travels. I do have Sabina, my horse, though I can tell she is not conditioned to travel in the desert. Is it true that camels make superior pack animals in this climate? Anyway, so what else do you suspect we'll be needing before we set off?"


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"How did you end up out here Felliped? And more to the point, you said something about gnolls?"

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

" Well uh, to Kelmarane, do you mean? " Felliped says standing up again with the help of Utarchus and looking a little more steady. " We came to Kelmarane for the pathfinders to find and catalogue artificers from the temple there and to work out why the city was abandoned "

I'll post Felliped's response about the Gnolls in a little bit. I just got to work.

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

" Only the town wasn't abandoned. It's crawling with Gnolls, the Kulldis tribe they call themselves and like I said its strange but thier leader is a human. A huge man they call Kardswann. They are very organised as well, every night they howl to the Brazen peaks and they're answered to. I'm no expert but even I know it's strange for Gnolls to be so organised. " He moves forward and addresses the courtyard in general. " Thanks, I guess for saving me... I'm in your debt. " he makes a little bow.


GM Roll:
Almah Know (nobility): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16

Almah normally retains her poise even when angry or distressed, but at Felliped's appearance and disjointed tale, her jaw drops. As he finishes, she recovers herself and favors him with a condescending smile. "Ah, well, Felliped... Leroung, was it? We are civilized folk here, though we camp in this ruined building, and you are welcome to water and a meal before you..." She trails off, and her eyes widen a little in realization, before continuing, "Leroung, it was?" Her smile becomes much more polite, though perhaps still not quite genuine. "You must stay with us as long as you require, Signor Leroung. We shall do everything in our power to aid in your recuperation. If there is anything you need, just ask, and my majordomo Garavel," she gestures to Garavel, "will see to it." She turns to the assembled mercenaries, who had been chuckling at Felliped's disorganized speech, and her voice becomes sharp, with a tone of command. "Men, what are you standing around for? Assist... Felliped," she flashes a smile at him, "from that nest immediately! Be careful with him!"


Garavel, cool and impassive as always, takes Felliped's story and Almah's orders in stride. "Indeed, sahib, we shall care for you as our own." He bows. "We must talk more of Kelmarane and your experiences there, but first, I shall fetch our camp physician." He bows again and heads away through the southern archway.

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

Having his name recognised seems to knock some sensibility back into Felliped. He stands a little straighter and replies " Thank you for your hospitality, Ameera. Pardon me but I seem to be at a disadvantage, would you do me the honor of your name? " he says dropping into a low bow and almost toppling over but for Utarchus who helps him back up.


Almah blinks. "Of course, how thoughtless of me. My name is Almah Roveshki, and I lead this expedition on behalf of the Pactmasters of Katapesh."

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

Kn Nobility: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 lol I guess I don't know much about her... " It is a pleasure to meet you Ameera Almah. " He nods to Garavel " Yes, I will happily share my experiences of Kelmarane, especially if that is where your company is headed. Perhaps in return for my information you could assist me in rescuing my companions? "


Garavel is gone fetching Father Zastoran at the moment, but Almah can reply to that.

As the mercenaries help Felliped out of the nest, a rather painful process given his sunburned skin, Almah moves out into the courtyard. As he is set awkwardly on his feet, she almost reaches out to take his hand, but, upon seeing how dirty he is, evidently thinks better of it. "Yes, your companions. Other Pathfinders, I presume? I have had no dealings with your organization, but I have heard of them. A sort of international guild specializing in artifacts and knowledge, is it not?" She thinks it over for a few moments. "Yes, Felliped Leroung, I believe we may be able to help each other." This time, her dazzling smile seems genuine.

"Ah, but you are hurt, and you must be weary from your ordeal. We shall talk more after you receive medical attention! Here is Garavel with Father Zastoran, our healer." She gestures to the archway, where Garavel and Father Zastoran are entering.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"Felliped, when the Father is done with you, I need to talk to you. The rest of the mercenaries and myself are going to be heading to Kelmarane tomorrow. I need you to draw us out a map of the area and where you think that your companions are located. Also we heard mention that there were large beasts penned up in buildings. I hope you tell us where they were located."

Valik uncorks one of the remaining infusions and drains it in one gulp, then walks around picking up his gear off the ground.

Infusion 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Hp=10


Father Zastoran, an aged man wearing the Eye of Nethys on a chain around his neck, is speaking to Garavel as the two make their way in. "... by a bird, you say? That is most incredible, Garavel, the young man is lucky to be--" He stops short when he sees Felliped. "Ah! You're standing, even... But just barely, I see! Help him to my wagon, the laboratory is still too messy. Er... No, Elois is still there... Ah, well, just help him here, into the shade. Someone fetch some blankets and pillows. Valik, do you--" He looks around for Valik as he is guiding the mercenaries, still supporting Felliped from either side, to the western archway. "Oh! You're hurt too! Those are nasty cuts! Do you still have my infusions?" He gestures for Valik to come lie down in the shade too, pulls out his doctor's bag, and begins to treat the wounds of both men.

infusion on Felliped: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
infusion on Valik: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Zastoran Heal Felliped: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27
Zastoran Heal Valik: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

Zastoran shoos away all the others as he applies the two remaining infusions to the injured men, and then proceeds to bandage their wounds with healing salve. Valik +9 hp, 11/21; Felliped +10 hp, 12/17 After about an hour, they are both feeling somewhat better, and Father Zastoran allows them to get up. "I imagine the Ameera and Garavel will be wanting to talk to you, young Felliped. Why don't you show him to her room, Valik? I'll be down in the laboratory, cleaning up that mold." He sends the two off with a friendly smile.


Oops, ninjaed by Valik!

Valik Roffeson wrote:
Felliped, when the Father is done with you, I need to talk to you.

Father Zastoran shakes his head, "No, no, Valik, you are injured too! Just lie down and rest, no talking now, and Father Zastoran will take care of you! There's plenty of time for all that later!"

The rest can be said/done as the two of you are on the way to Almah. Valik and I both rolled for the healing from the same infusion; go ahead and take the higher roll, putting you at 11.


Game Master

Ali:
The trip to Kelmarane takes 5 days, mounted. Here is what you know about it:

  • Day 1: This stretch is through the sandy desert of southern Osirion. Going is slow in the sand, but at least you can go straight. There is a ruin that caravans frequently stop at, about one day's (or night's) journey out. Bandits and animals are not much of a problem in this part of the route, because it is so barren and dry, but there is sometimes trouble at the ruin.
  • Day 2: This stretch finishes up the sandy desert and winds up into the rocky hills that makes up the rest of the caravan route. Once in the hills, the walking is easier, but you have to wind around more. Wild animals are more likely in this area, and the number of gnolls and other bandits increases. There is a spring at the end of the day's trek, which should still have a little water at this time of year.
  • Day 3: This day continues through the hills, skirting an arm of the Brazen Peaks which ends with a towering volcano, blackened with lava flows, called Pyre Crest. Your tribe revered this mountain as a symbol of the power of flame, but never set foot upon it, as its interior is said to be the home of a group of powerful and dangerous efreet.
  • Day 4: This day can be a short one, ending at the Giants' Steps, a pair of perennial fresh water lakes. They are the most reliable source of water between Ipeq and the Pale River, and so many caravans stop there; however, the water and caravans also draw bandits and dangerous wild animals. Alternatively, you can ride past the Steps, and make a long ride to the town of Bronze Hook, on the banks of the Pale River. The town is rough and dangerous as well, with a small stable population augmented by bandits spending their ill-gotten gains, but lodging and food can be gotten there.
  • Day 5: It is a long journey from the Giants' Steps to Kelmarane, or a relatively short one from Bronze Hook. South of Bronze Hook is the Hook Ford, which passes over the Pale River, and from there the caravan route heads upstream along the southern bank to Kelmarane. For more information about the layout of Kelmarane, see the spoiler in the discussion thread.
Ipeq, 22-23 Desnus, 4711:
The Pathfinders lodge at the Red Lion inn that night, and spend the next morning purchasing gear with the advice of their knowledgeable guide. They spend the afternoon resting, in order to set out south across the shifting sands at dusk, when it begins to cool. The moon is a thin waning crescent, which will not rise until almost dawn, so the night promises to be very dark.

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3
Valik Roffeson wrote:

"Felliped, when the Father is done with you, I need to talk to you. The rest of the mercenaries and myself are going to be heading to Kelmarane tomorrow. I need you to draw us out a map of the area and where you think that your companions are located. Also we heard mention that there were large beasts penned up in buildings. I hope you tell us where they were located."

Valik uncorks one of the remaining infusions and drains it in one gulp, then walks around picking up his gear off the ground.

Infusion 1d8+3
Hp=10

As soon as father Zastoran leaves Felliped and Valik to thier rest, Felliped rolls over and whispers " Of course, I will draw your map but I will do one better than that I will come with you. " he then falls asleep within a minute.

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

When he awakes from his rest Felliped will search out Garavel asking his way around the ruined temple. " Ah, Garavel, I'm wondering if you could supply me with a bath, some soap and a shaving kit I could borrow. I'd rather not see the Ameera again looking like a slave. "

Scarab Sages

Human Ranger (Infiltrator) 2 AC 18/12/16 / HP 22 / F +6 R +5 W +1 / Init. +2 / Perc. +6)

Southern Osirion on the trail to Kelmarane, 23 Desnus, 4711:

The roiling sun sets over the dunes as Ali, Felliped and Theodric guided their camels over the sea of sand.

"Come my friends! I know it has been a long day and you are sore from the unfamiliar beasts, but we are not much further out from our campsite. Perhaps another hour if we maintain our pace."

Seeing a Sand Hare scared into flight from the travelers Ali whips up his bow and lets loose an arrow at the fleeing rabbit.

Attack Roll: Longbow, Composite (Str +4) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Damage Roll: Longbow, Composite (Str +4) 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

The arrow streaks out and catches the arrow in the skull, preserving all of the meat.

"A thousand blessings Sarenrae for your bounty!" Ali intones as he unlimbers himself from the camel. Retrieving his arrow, Ali begins to methodically skin the game. "It seems that we will not have to eat trail rations tonight after all! A fortuitous start to our journey"

Several hours later...

"Yes, yes here we are." Pointing ahead of the group there seems to be a half ruined tower sticking out from the dunes. Sandblasted and weathered you can still make out the tower dome. "The nomads say that this was once the tallest tower of a great and powerful city. The Sheik was a wise and powerful ruler. But at the height of his power, like many men he became enraptured in his own greatness. The gods cursed him and scoured his city with the sands of eternity. Perhaps it is a children tale, perhaps there is more to it. It is not for me to say. Even in stories there is a grain of truth, I think. Come, let us take shelter for the night and build a fire. I believe you are owed another story Felliped..."


Felliped comes across Garavel overseeing the unpacking of equipment in the Nave. The majordomo bows when he sees Felliped approaching. "Ah, Signior Leroung. I am pleased to see that you are feeling better. Is there anything I can do for you?"

After hearing Felliped's request, he nods, "Yes, I believe I understand, Sahib. We do have a store of such items, and on behalf of the Ameera, I would be honored to supply them to you as a token of our friendship and goodwill. I can also supply you with fresh clothing. You must understand we did not expect to meet a personage of rank such as you, so the best we can offer you is the garb of a humble civil servant, such as myself. Still, it will be clean, and... he pauses a moment, evidently searching for a delicate way to put "not a bunch of filthy, tattered rags." "... intact."

"I also regret to inform you that we do not have bathing facilities per se, as water is a precious commodity here in the dry lands of Katapesh. I can offer you a pail of water and a sponge, if that pleases you, Sahib."


Game Master

After Felliped has freshened up, he and Valik are called to a conference in Almah's quarters. Garavel and Dashki are already present. Dashki gives Felliped, now clean and well-dressed in a flowing tunic and billowing trousers, a cold stare. His eyes narrow further and the muscles of his jaw twitch as Almah greets the lordling warmly.


"Ah! Signior Leroung! I am most pleased to see you looking so refreshed after your ordeal! Please, you must be very hungry, help yourself to some refreshment!" she indicates a tray bearing dates, stuffed grape leaves, flatbread, goat cheese, and a decanter of wine. "I regret that we cannot entertain you in better style, but of course, this is an expeditionary camp." She gestures at the room, which has been transformed over the course of the night and morning. Where once there were broken shelves and books falling to dust, now there are thick carpets, ornate wall hangings, and sumptuous pillows, all lit by clean-burning brass oil lamps. "But alas! I fear we have no time for the pleasantries of the court; we must lay plans for the liberation of Kelmarane, and in this, I think you can be of service to us. I believe you have already met Valik, and this is Dashki, our local guide and gnoll expert." She gestures to the lanky man, who looks away to avoid making eye contact with Felliped. "Now, please, tell us what you know of the gnoll forces within the town."

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

Felliped's stomach rumbles and he realises how hungry he is. He tries a date and then some flat bread with goats cheese, chewing slowly and washing it down with some wine.

Almah wrote:
"I regret that we cannot entertain you in better style, but of course, this is an expeditionary camp."

" Not at all Ameera, I assure you that this is quite the best feast I have seen in some weeks. "

Almah wrote:
" I believe you have already met Valik, and this is Dashki, our local guide and gnoll expert."

Felliped nods to Valik and then says " It's a pleasure to meet you Dashki " Trying in vain to catch the mans eye.

Almah wrote:
"Now, please, tell us what you know of the gnoll forces within the town."

" Do you have a map of Kelmarane Ameera? Or perhaps some parchment and ink? " he will then point to places on the map or draw up a rough layout of the town. " We didn't go through the lower town as the pathfinders main interest was in the temple and our guide knew a back way there. The Gnolls call thier tribe the Kulldis and though they are led by a human man called Kardswann they also communicate with some other higher up gnoll in the Brazen peaks. They call him the Carrion King, you have most likely heard them howling away in the middle of the night. From what I could tell as their prisoner they live in the battle market. This area here " He says pointing on the map. (or drawing in the area on parchment.) " Also I'm not sure of how much interest it will be to you but it's certainly strange from an academic perspective... The Kuldis Gnolls and it seems all the Gnolls around the Brazen peaks who answer to the Carrion King don't worship Lamashtu but instead they have chosen Rovagug as their god... "

Magister Ludi:
Could Felliped make an estimation of the Gnolls numbers in the town?


Game Master

Felliped:
There were at least a dozen present when they captured you. You've never seen all of them together, so you can't be sure, but you think there's at least twice that many altogether. There are also some other races typically hanging out in the battle market as customers. You've caught glimpses of humans, bugbears, goblins, and an ogre. You've also heard the voice of some female that hangs out with Kardswann, but you've never seen her, so you can't tell what she is. Definitely not a gnoll.

Felliped's Map (squares=20 ft)

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

Felliped pauses for a moment his lips silently counting. " Hmm, there's maybe 25 Gnolls around the battle market but there's others to. Customers maybe? Humans, Bugbears, Goblins and I even spotted an Ogre one day. That's about all I can tell you. Oh and there's a woman that was staying with Kardswann I never saw her though, just heard her voice. "


Dashki gives an "I told you so" gesture as Felliped gives his approximate count of the gnolls in Kelmarane, and is about to say something, but becomes quiet and sullen as Felliped goes on enumerating the other inhabitants of the Battle Market.


Garavel listens carefully to Felliped's information, taking neat notes on a sheet of parchment. "Yes, this complements the information we have learned from Dashki's observations. Both of you estimate about two dozen gnolls. Your observations of the inside of the Battle Market are quite a valuable addition, however, as Dashki has mostly been able to observe only the lower town." The straightens out the stack of parchment, so that it is perfectly straight. "It is fascinating to hear that there are outsiders... Customers, you say. It suggests the gnolls, or this Kardswann, are using the Battle Market for something akin to its original purpose as a center of entertainment and trade."


"Indeed, this is valuable information. If these gnolls allows outsiders in for trade, then they must not indiscriminately kill all that approach. Our forces may be able to get closer than we thought before meeting with resistance. Valik, Dashki?"


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"Well I guess that answers my question about the "Battle Market", I really had no idea what such a thing was. Anyways, thank you Felliped. By adding to the information that Dashki had already provided you may have given us the edge that we need to see this through successfully." Valik says rubbing his chin.

"I really hate to sound like a crazy zealot, but this talk of Rovagug...Ameera, I have a duty to eradicate the gnolls. That may not exactly match up with securing the town. But you can be sure that unless the filth of Rovagug is burnt out it will spread and threaten everything you care about."

"I still think the original plan holds. We cause chaos, draw gnolls into traps and ambushes until their forces are weakened. Then we crush them." Valik finishes, slapping his fist into his palm.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

"Well I guess that answers my question about the "Battle Market", I really had no idea what such a thing was. Anyways, thank you Felliped. By adding to the information that Dashki had already provided you may have given us the edge that we need to see this through successfully." Valik says rubbing his chin.

"I really hate to sound like a crazy zealot, but this talk of Rovagug...Ameera, I have a duty to eradicate the gnolls. That may not exactly match up with securing the town. But you can be sure that unless the filth of Rovagug is burnt out it will spread and threaten everything you care about."

"I still think the original plan holds. We cause chaos, draw gnolls into traps and ambushes until their forces are weakened. Then we crush them." Valik finishes, punching his fist into his palm.

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

Southern Osirion on the trail to Kelmarane, 23 Desnus, 4711:
Felliped stretches out tired muscles as the group arrive at the ruined tower. " oh my, I never thought I'd find a more uncomfortable way to travel than horse back, but those camels are rough. " He looks up at the tower dreaming of all the things that might be found under the sand. " There must be many things lost to us under these dunes. " He says punctuated with a sigh.
Ali wrote:
"I believe you are owed another story Felliped..."

" I am looking forward to it! Yet I am quite hungry. What is the best way to prepare sand rabbit, boiling? "

Grand Lodge

HP 15, AC 14/Touch 8/Flat-Foot 14, Fort 4/Ref -2/Will 7, Perception +8, Init -2

Ipeq, 22 Desnus, 4711:

As the company gathers supplies for the journey, Theodric takes a long hard look at all the the camels.

"By the grandest scale of Abadar, judging the worth of a camel is as foreign to me as the mysteries Thassilon. Felliped, take a look at this. Are all these humps supposed to be crooked?"

Theodric spends a notable time inspecting the camels for sale, walking up, down, and around those available. Over time, his motions become more and more erratic and he begins to sweat.

"I knew we shouldn't have sent Ali off for supplies."

Theodric leans his head down, placing his right thumb and middle finger on his temples, rubbing them slowly in a circular motion. He lets out a long sigh and makes his way to the stable master.

"Sir, good sir, yes hello, how do you do? Quite the selection available here. I am Theodric, your newest customer."

The stable master gives Thodric a quick glance with a sympathetic smile on his face.

"Foreigner, welcome to my lands." He reaches his arm out to the side in a sweeping motion, as if presenting the desert in all it's glory. "Is there something this lowly camel vendor can help you with?"

Theodric replies
"Yes, quite lovely the scenery. I do believe I have a question or two. What is the secret to bending the camel to your will? I struggle enough with horses as it is, and I fear that with a camel, things can only get worse."

"Hah! Well that is your first problem my friend. The Camel is a vastly superior creature to the horse, and very obedient. She travels well in the heat, and is built for the sands of Osirion. But I see that you are worried. I have just the thing for you."

The vendor pulls an intricately carved spike of ivory with various curves and holes in it from his tools. He leads Theodric to one of the larger camels.

"What next, a rain dance with elephant bones? I've seen about enough for for today.

"This is Zafira, my most reliable animal, does she seem pleasing to you"

Theodric gives the animal a good look up and down. "What am I looking for exactly?"

"Yes, my friend. A fine looking animal indeed."

"Ah, I am most pleased you agree. A man of good taste I see."

The vendor pushes the camels head down by the end of the nose, and then inserts his finger in what seems to be the nostril from the other side. A few moments later he pulls his finger out, and then inserts the ivory spike in seemingly the same place. After some wigging, the spike exits from a small hole behind the nostrils which was previously invisible to the untrained eye.

"This, my friend, is what we call a peg. Simply attach the rains here, and the most gentle of tugs will have Zafira bending to your every whim. Be gentle and she will make a superior companion."

"Very generous, I will take her."

Theodric gives the beast a long hard look in the eyes before leading her off to Felliped to show her off.
"Hah! I've got you. Praises to Abadar that I'll never have to tighten this bit."


Southern Osirion on the trail to Kelmarane, 23 Desnus, 4711:

Theodric follows the trail a few feet behind Felliped and Ali, quite obviously struggling with his camel. Too preocupied by his own, Theodric does not comprehend a word of Felliped's complaints. The moans of frustration and pain by the camel coming from the flank are only rivaled by Theodric's version of the same.

Turning his head after hearing a sharp squeak, Theodric notices the dead hare.

"Bravo, Ali! A fine shot indeed. I must admit, I haven't the slightest clue what to do with it myself... You see, where I come from, the men... some men hunt, and the women... well some women cook. I don't suppose you'd be prepared to take on both roles this evening?"

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

Ipeq, 22 Desnus 4711:
" Yes I believe they are supposed to be crooked... Or so the encyclopaedia: The fauna of Osirion would have me believe. As for judging there worth I assume it's just like horses. " Felliped steps to the nearest one and tries to open its mouth to check its teeth. The camel yawns and then takes a nip, Felliped retracts his hand quickly and then the camel spits full in his face. " Byuurg! " a minute later and Felliped has followed Theodrics example after admiring his purchase.

Scarab Sages

Human Ranger (Infiltrator) 2 AC 18/12/16 / HP 22 / F +6 R +5 W +1 / Init. +2 / Perc. +6)

In the Shadow of a Watchtower, Night, 23 Desnus, 4711:

"My friends, you ask me to cook, hunt, guide and tell stories! You wound me with your greediness! I joke! Yes, I shall cook for you, as well as tell you of the wonders of the desert." Reaching into his saddlebag Ali withdraws a large ceramic bowl. "But one of you shall have to milk the camels tonight, and the other shall clean up after dinner. We all carry our weight out here, understand? I leave it upto you to decide. Oh, and Felliped, yours is a bull, I don't think you would like its milk! Ha!"

Gathering up some tinder and dried camel dung Ali begins to make a fire inside of the ruined tower.

"Speaking of camels, several years ago I witnessed a amusing occurrence while I was in the city of Azir. As you know the Rahadoumi are merchants above all else, and while I was in the market I witnessed an Rahadoumi merchant approach a Cheliaxian and his female companion. The merchant was carrying fine silk's for trade and for several minuets he impassionately attempted to barter with the Chelixian for a to buy his wares. After yielding no results the merchant asked the man where he was from and the man replied "Cheliax". Looking at the mans consort, with her dark hair and olive skin, the Rahadoumi responded. "She's not from Cheliax." "Yes I am." replied the woman. The merchant aghast, looked at her and asked. "Is he your husband?" "Yes." replied the woman. The merchant then turned to the husband, and said... "I'll give you one hundred camels for her." The man looked stunned, and there was a very long silence. Finally I saw him respond. "She's not for sale." After the merchant left, the somewhat indignat wife asked her husband "What took you so long to answer?" Then the man replied with "I was trying to figure out how to get 100 camels back home."

"Ha ha ha! I kid! Come, the fire is ready and I shall begin dinner. Do you have the camel milk yet? I need it so I can poach the rabbit. It shall be a fine dinner, and once we are settled in I will tell you of "Talib bin Sahl and the City of Brass"

Dark Archive

HP: 16, AC: 13 (T:13, FF:10), F: +2, R: +6, W: +4, Per: 7, Init: 3

In the Shadow of a Watchtower, Night, 23 Desnus, 4711:
Felliped grabs a bucket and moves toward his camel.
Ali wrote:
"Oh, and Felliped, yours is a bull, I don't think you would like its milk! Ha!"

" Oh yes " He says, taking a look. " Right. " He sets done the bucket under Theodric's camel and looks at the teats. " err, Zaphira, I'm just going to um... Oi! " Felliped reaches out taking a teat and experimentally squeezing Zaphira kicks the bucket and turns to Felliped spitting in his face. " That's twice in one day! Blasted animals! "

Ali wrote:
"Speaking of camels, several years ago I witnessed a amusing occurrence while I was in the city of Azir. As you know the Rahadoumi are merchants above all else, and while I was in the market I witnessed an Rahadoumi merchant approach a Cheliaxian and his female companion. The merchant was carrying fine silk's for trade and for several minuets he impassionately attempted to barter with the Chelixian for a to buy his wares. After yielding no results the merchant asked the man where he was from and the man replied "Cheliax". Looking at the mans consort, with her dark hair and olive skin, the Rahadoumi responded. "She's not from Cheliax." "Yes I am." replied the woman. The merchant aghast, looked at her and asked. "Is he your husband?" "Yes." replied the woman. The merchant then turned to the husband, and said... "I'll give you one hundred camels for her." The man looked stunned, and there was a very long silence. Finally I saw him respond. "She's not for sale." After the merchant left, the somewhat indignat wife asked her husband "What took you so long to answer?" Then the man replied with "I was trying to figure out how to get 100 camels back home."

Over by the Camels Felliped laughs but it isn't hearty, more to be polite. " That does sound like home. " he says frowning. After a couple of more failed attempts at collecting milk Felliped brings the bucket of milk over to the fire. " Here Ali. " Felliped pours the tiny amount into the cooking pan. Looking he sighs " oh, uh, I'll go get some more shall I? "


Dashki shrugs. "We'll be killin' the Kulldis one way or another. Catchin' 'em by surprise makes it easier." He licks his lips nervously and glances around the room. "Ah... What about these friends of the...?" he gestures at Felliped, "We rescuin' them too, are we? Kulldis'll be mad that one got away, they might take it out on the others. If we're gonna grab 'em, might want to do it before we spend the time goin' to the fort."


"Indeed," Garavel replies, "If you please, Sahib," he gives Felliped a polite bow, "Tell us more about these companions. Do you feel they may be in immediate danger? Thusfar, our plan has been to secure additional fallback points to prevent the gnolls from learning the location of our base of operations, while a small team reduces their numbers through, ah, 'viking' techniques, as I believe Valik's people refer to it. According to that plan, it may be several days before we move on the town itself."

751 to 800 of 920 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Magister Ludi's Legacy of Fire, book 1: Howl of the Carrion King All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.