Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Magister Ludi's Legacy of Fire

Game Master Gordon the Whale

In the barren wastes of the Brazen Peaks, secrets await those brave enough to find them.


451 to 500 of 920 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Where did my post go?


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

This is bizarre. I had posted two days ago about the broken map and that Valik was going to retcon back to drawing his hand axe instead, and then chase the pugwumpi through the door.


Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

Valik shouts, "With me Asad!" and charges toward the door the pugwumpi had vanished through, his axe in hand.

So...like I posted before...Valik will attempt to chase down the pugwumpi that went through the door.

Axe 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Axe 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Dmg 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

HA! Validation! The post from last time did go in! My dice rolls hit this time!!!! Both of them sucked horribly last time I rolled, and if the previous post hadn't logged in, they still would have been active!


Game Master

GM rolls:
Pug3 stealth: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (12) + 17 = 29

Asad and Valik run through the door and find themselves in an area of the monastery that has a relatively intact roof. Wide hallways stretch to the east and south, with elaborate frescoes on the north and west walls. Through wide archways on the east and south walls, dappled sunlight streams, and a glimpse of tangled vegetation suggests the presence of an overgrown courtyard, and the hallways seem to turn to make a square around it. Stained glass windows on the far east wall let in additional light, but there are areas of the hallway where the light is dim. The mercenaries don't see the pugwampi, but they can't be sure the little creature isn't hiding in the shadows somewhere nearby.

Asad looks up and down the hallways, and says, "He's gotta be here somewhere..."

Asad spent his whole action running into the room; Valik only used a move action. The spaces within your reach are well-lit, so you can be pretty sure the pugwampi isn't there. You can ready an action or throw your axe at a square if you like, or any other standard action. In any case, you can save those attack rolls until the next time you actually attack. In the meantime, I'll resolve the next round of fighting between the other three mercs and the pugwampis in the chapel.

Map


Game Master

The Transept Siege
6 Sarenith, 4711
Mid-afternoon
Round 5

Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel, part of the eastern alcove, and some areas around the courtyard are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.

    Dross & Travis: concealment
    Dullen: improved cover (+8/+4)
    Asad & Valik: -
    Pug2: ??
    Pug3 and Pug6: concealment and cover


  • Turn order:
    Valik
    -Round 5-
    Pug1
    Pug2
    Dross
    Pug6
    Travis
    Pug4
    Pug3
    Dullen
    Asad
    Valik


    Game Master

    Mercenary rolls:
    Dross: climb over bench DC 5: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11; 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12; unlucky longsword vs. pug2; attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19; 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 35; damage 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 => hit; pug2 to 2 hp
    Travis: climb over bench DC 5: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8; 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14; unlucky greatsword vs. pug6; attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21; 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 49; damage 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (3, 2) + 3 = 8 => miss
    Dullen: stand up, climb over barricade.

    GM rolls:
    Pug1: stabilize DC 16: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11 ==> Bleed to -7
    Pug2: 5'step away; shortbow vs. Dross (cover); attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 16; damage: 1 = 1 => miss
    Pug6: 5'step away; shortbow vs. Travis (cover); attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 98; damage: 1 = 1 => miss
    Pug4: run
    Pug3: shortbow; target: Asad; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10; damage: 1 = 1; run into courtyard; stealth 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34
    => miss

    The sounds of tiny arrows clattering off of stone continue from the other room. There is also a brief cry of triumph from Dross.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    Valik makes a chopping motion with his hand, pointing Asad to move forward, then turns right and heads south, keeping his eyes open for any movement.

    Dang it, the munchkin got away! Valik will move south quickly, then turn and go out into the courtyard, looking for any threats.


    Game Master

    As Valik heads south, he can see more clearly through the archway. Huge branches and overgrown weeds clog the central open-air courtyard. In better times, the monastic priests might have contemplated the open space while circling the cloister, but today it is barely possible to see a few feet into the tangled mess, let alone all the way to the opposite archway. Here and there the brush thins out enough that a dedicated explorer might be able to create a sort of passage, but mostly it is an impassable mess. At least it doesn't seem to be as thorny as the thicket the previous night!

    Just as this view is becoming clear, Valik hears the twang of a tiny bowstring from the hallway Asad is headed down. The mercenary says, "What the--" and sets off running to the north entrance to the courtyard. Valik hears a rustle in the brush, but hasn't gotten close enough to see where the pugwampi went before it is quiet again. He can hear Asad at the north archway say, "Where did it go? I can't see anything in here!"

    Map at beginning of Valik's turn in round 5


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "It hasn't come this way, it must be in the brush. I will circle around."

    Double move to AT/38


    Game Master

    I have your speed at 20 ft. in armor, so a double move is only 40. AT-38 is 80 ft by straight line, but the vegetation in between is difficult terrain. Did you mean AT-28, maybe? That's 40 ft.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    Ooof. You are right, he is slow. I need to learn to dump the backpack at the door. Sounds good. I will move to AT/28


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 6

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel, part of the eastern alcove, and some areas around the courtyard are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Vegetation - The vegetation in the courtyard counts as difficult terrain (1/2 movement speed, no 5' step) and provides improved concealment (30% miss chance). A 5' square of vegetation can be cleared using a slashing weapon as a full-round action.
  • [i]Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.

  • Turn order:
    Valik
    -Round 5-
    Pug1
    Pug2
    Dross
    Pug6
    Travis
    Pug4
    Pug3
    Dullen
    Asad
    Valik


    Game Master

    Mercenary rolls:
    Dross: unlucky AOO vs pug2 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9; 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 9; damage1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5; drop sword, draw bow; unlucky longbow vs. Pug2 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7; 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 17; damage 1d8 ⇒ 4 (16 arrows remain)
    Travis: climb over bench DC 5: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9; 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7; unlucky greatsword vs. pug6; attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6; 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 34; damage 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (3, 4) + 3 = 10
    Dullen: move to AD18, fire crossbow at pug2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 27; damage: 1d8 ⇒ 4 (14 bolts remain)
    Asad: unlucky Nodachi attack vegetation in AK31: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24; 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9; damage1d10 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

    GM rolls:
    Pug1: stabilize DC 17: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
    Pug2: run away (provkes from dross) and climb ladder
    Pug6: 5'step away; shortbow vs. Travis (cover); attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 21; damage: 1 = 1
    Pug4: run
    Pug3: ready to shoot Asad if he moves away

    From the other room, the clatter of combat continues; bowstrings twang, steel rings against stone, and the mercenaries grunt and curse, all layered over the incessant grating laugh of the pugwampis.

    The pugwampi in the courtyard, however, remains silent. "I'll flush him out!" Asad bellows, swinging his sword viciously against the vegetation. He clears out a small area, but there is still no sign of the pugwampi.

    map

    Given that you're wearing medium armor, there's no need to drop your backpack. Weight doesn't slow you down any more than the armor does by itself.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "Asad, don't get too excited, the critter could be trying to fool us. Lets walk around the outside of this thicket and see what we are dealing with. Walk to your right until you get to the opposite side, I will walk to where you were cutting...we should be able to tell if the critter has just escaped or is still in there..."

    Valik walks around the south side of the courtyard, looking to see if the pugwumpi is still in there or if it escaped.

    double move counter clockwise around the courtyard.
    Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 7

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel, part of the eastern alcove, and some areas around the courtyard are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Vegetation - The vegetation in the courtyard counts as difficult terrain (1/2 movement speed, no 5' step) and provides improved concealment (30% miss chance). A 5' square of vegetation can be cleared using a slashing weapon as a full-round action.
  • [i]Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.

  • Turn order:
    Pug1
    Pug2
    Dross
    Pug6
    Travis
    Pug4
    Pug3
    Dullen
    Asad
    Valik


    Game Master

    Mercenary rolls:
    Dross: sheathe bow; pick up sword, 5' step to Z15
    Travis: climb over bench DC 5: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18; 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19; unlucky greatsword vs. pug6; attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22; 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 43; damage 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (3, 6) + 3 = 12 => Splattered pug
    Dullen: fire crossbow at pug2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18; miss: 1d100 ⇒ 16; damage: 1d8 ⇒ 6 (13 bolts remain) => miss
    Asad: move to AJ27 (get shot) move back to AJ 30.

    GM rolls:
    Pug1: stabilize DC 18: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20 => stable at -8
    Pug2: run
    Pug6: 5'step to W22; shortbow vs. Travis (cover); attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10; damage: 1 = 1 => miss
    Pug3: shortbow vs. Asad; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5; damage: 1 = 1 => miss

    From the other room, Dross can be heard yelling over the sounds of battle, "Drive it this way, Travis, I'll guard the ladder!" Travis replies, "You got it... Haha! How about that!" Dross joins in laughing, "That works too!"

    Following Valik's orders, Asad begins to circle the courtyard. No sooner has he reached the corner, however, when the little pugwampi, who had been concealed just at the edge of the vegetation, fires an arrow at him and laughs.

    Gnoll:
    "Hahaha! Gotcha!"

    The arrow misses, and Asad races back to the pugwampi, sword drawn. "Here he is, Valik!"

    The pugwampi shrieks.

    Gnoll:
    "Uh... Uhoh!"

    Map
    Pugwampi has improved concealment from Asad (30% miss chance) and total concealment from Valik's current position (50% miss chance)


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    Valik moves forward, pulling out a sling stone and dropping it in his sling. As he picks his way around the courtyard he starts the sling spinning up into a furious whizzing buzz before sending the stone at the little creature.

    Miss chance, low is good 1d100 ⇒ 31
    Sling 1d20 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 1 - 4 = 3
    Sling 1d20 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 1 - 4 = 3
    Dmg...if I am stupid lucky 1d3 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

    The stone flies through the scrub, missing all the branches...but narrowly missing the pugwumpi, before the stone clacks loudly against the courtyard wall.


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 8

    [Spoiler=Relevant Environmental Rules]

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel, part of the eastern alcove, and some areas around the courtyard are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Vegetation - The vegetation in the courtyard counts as difficult terrain (1/2 movement speed, no 5' step) and provides improved concealment (30% miss chance). A 5' square of vegetation can be cleared using a slashing weapon as a full-round action.
  • [i]Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.


  • Game Master

    Mercenary rolls:
    Dross: waste time
    Travis: waste time
    Dullen: waste time
    Asad: AOO vs Pug3 unlucky Nodachi 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21; 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8; 30% miss: 1d100 ⇒ 80; damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 = Miss
    DC 10 will save: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16; 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17 => Save

    GM rolls:
    Pug1: stable
    Pug6: stabilize DC 13: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16 => Stable at -3
    Pug3: move to AN31 (provokes from Asad); shatter vs. Asad's nodachi

    The pugwampi dashes away into the underbrush. Asad takes a swing at it, but misses. What rotten luck! From the middle of the thick vegetation, it begins a piercing howl, and Asad's nodachi begins to resonate. "Oh no you don't!" says Asad as he grips the blade to dampen the sound. Successful save.

    The sounds of the mercenaries' celebratory laughter echo from the other room.

    Asad eyes the thick vegetation with distaste. "You're the boss, blondie. What do we do now?"

    Map


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "Fellas, come over here. We have one trapped in a thicket, but we need a few more people to cut him out." Valik calls to the other room as he drops another stone into the sling and spins it up for another strike.

    Miss chance, low is good 1d100 ⇒ 44
    Sling 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
    Sling 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
    Dmg 1d3 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

    I have offended the online dice gods....


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 9

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel, part of the eastern alcove, and some areas around the courtyard are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Vegetation - The vegetation in the courtyard counts as difficult terrain (1/2 movement speed, no 5' step) and provides improved concealment (30% miss chance). A 5' square of vegetation can be cleared using a slashing weapon as a full-round action.
  • [i]Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.

  • Turn order::

    Dross
    Travis
    Dullen
    Pug3
    Valik
    Asad

    GM rolls:
    Pug3: move to AP32 (provokes from Asad); shortbow vs. Valik; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10; 30% miss: 1d100 ⇒ 83; damage: 1 = 1

    Footsteps sound on the stone steps as the mercenaries rush toward the sound of Valik's voice. From closer, perhaps in the walkway that surrounds the coutyard, Dullen calls, "Where are you?"

    The pugwampi edges away from Asad a few feet and fires an arrow at Valik, but it glances harmlessly off his armor. From here, only 30% miss for Valik... If you can get decent attack rolls!


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "Out here in the courtyard. Keep coming this way." Valik calls to the mercenaries.

    "Asad, do you have a bow or anything?"

    Miss chance, low is good 1d100 ⇒ 12
    Sling [1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
    Sling [1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
    Dmg 1d3 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


    Game Master

    Asad replies, "I, uh, left my sling in the other room by the barricade. I was in a hurry..." He positions himself in the northern archway, evidently ready to attack if the pugwampi makes a break for it.


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 10

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel, part of the eastern alcove, and some areas around the courtyard are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Vegetation - The vegetation in the courtyard counts as difficult terrain (1/2 movement speed, no 5' step) and provides improved concealment (30% miss chance). A 5' square of vegetation can be cleared using a slashing weapon as a full-round action.
  • [i]Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.
  • Turn order::

    Dross
    Travis
    Dullen
    Pug3
    Valik
    Asad

    GM rolls:
    Pug3: shortbow vs. Valik; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5; 30% miss: 1d100 ⇒ 43; damage: 1 = 1

    From out in the hall, Dross says, "Travis, you back up Asad. I'll follow Dullen." Dullen hurries into the west archway, crossbow ready. Not enough move to attack this round though. He scans the brush, trying to line up a good shot, but doesn't even see the pugwampi until it fires another ineffective arrow at Valik.

    map


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "If we surround the courtyard, I think we will be able to trap the creature."

    Miss chance, low is good 1d100 ⇒ 31
    Sling 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
    Sling 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
    Dmg 1d3 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

    That tears it. I WILL kill this creature, with this sling!!!!


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 11

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel, part of the eastern alcove, and some areas around the courtyard are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Vegetation - The vegetation in the courtyard counts as difficult terrain (1/2 movement speed, no 5' step) and provides improved concealment (30% miss chance). A 5' square of vegetation can be cleared using a slashing weapon as a full-round action.
  • [i]Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.
  • Turn order::

    Dross
    Travis
    Dullen
    Pug3
    Valik
    Asad

    Mercenary rolls:
    Dross: double move
    Travis: double move
    Dullen: shoot Pug3 crossbow 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24; 30% miss 1d100 ⇒ 63; damage 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
    Asad: ready to attack pug3
    Dullen crit confirm 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20; crit damage 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

    GM rolls:

    Pug3: shortbow vs. Dullen; attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15; 30% miss: 1d100 ⇒ 2; damage: 1 = 1

    Dross replies "Got it." He runs past the western archway towards the south. Meanwhile, Travis joins Asad in the north archway, and Dullen lines up his sights on the pugwampi and fires. The bolt flies true, and scores a direct hit on the pugwampi, but its passage through the thick vegetation seems to slow it, and the pugwampi, though it squeals in pain, remains on its feet. "What the #&*@!?!" Dullen curses exasperatedly. The pugwampi shoots a retaliatory shot at him, which misses, and begins to scramble through the brush toward the south archway.

    map

    You may get your chance... Apparently Dullen can't kill it even on a critical hit. I swear, the dice roller is conspiring to make you even more unlucky than you're supposed to be!


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    Valik grins mercilessly as the rest of the party closes on the creature. "Now we have you, you little rat." Seeing the creature is making a break for it, he dashes around the corner to cut it off.

    Double move around the corner to stand at AT/33. I count that as 40 ft. He should be able to make the diagonal around the corner from the AS to the AT row because the vegitation is not a wall.


    Game Master

    Yup. Are you also switching to a melee weapon?


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    Yes. Valik will draw his handaxe out as he moves.


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round 12

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel, part of the eastern alcove, and some areas around the courtyard are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Vegetation - The vegetation in the courtyard counts as difficult terrain (1/2 movement speed, no 5' step) and provides improved concealment (30% miss chance). A 5' square of vegetation can be cleared using a slashing weapon as a full-round action.
  • Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.
  • Turn order:
    Round 11
    Asad
    Round 12
    Dross
    Travis
    Dullen
    Pug3
    Valik
    (Asad)
    Mercenary rolls:
    Asad: double move to AM37
    Dross: ready to attack
    Travis: 5' step to AH32; ready to attack
    Dullen: shoot Pug3; crossbow 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 1 = 21; 30% miss 1d100 ⇒ 21; damage 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
    GM rolls:
    Pug3: Withdraw to AP38

    After Valik heads to the south arch to block the pugwampi's escape, Asad moves quickly toward the west arch. Dross and Travis hold their respective positions, ready to attack. Dullen shoots another crossbow bolt at the pugwampi, but is unable to get a good shot due to the concealing vegetation. The pugwampi takes one look at Valik and turns the other way, making for the western arch. Withdraw action, no AOO.
    map


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "I am starting to truly dislike these creatures!" Valik thunders as he runs after the creature.

    Valik follows back to AP/37


    Game Master

    Asad Roll:
    Unlucky Nodachi flanking attack: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 2 = 23; 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12; damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

    Before the pugwampi can run off down the hall, Asad circles around to block it off. The pugwampi is trapped between Asad and Valik, out in the open and well lit... But Asad is slightly overbalanced by the quick change of direction, and his nodachi whistles harmlessly through the air over the pugwampi's head. How unlucky!


    Game Master

    The Transept Siege
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Round Lucky 13

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Dim lighting - The windows provide normal lighting within 20 feet, but the center of the chapel, part of the eastern alcove, and some areas around the courtyard are in dim lighting. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Vegetation - The vegetation in the courtyard counts as difficult terrain (1/2 movement speed, no 5' step) and provides improved concealment (30% miss chance). A 5' square of vegetation can be cleared using a slashing weapon as a full-round action.
  • [i]Cover - The barricade, pillars, and benches all provide cover. Cover gives +4 AC and +2 to Reflex saves.
  • Turn order:
    Dross
    Travis
    Dullen
    Pug3
    Valik
    Asad
    Mercenary rolls:
    Dross: ready to attack
    Travis: ready to attack
    Dullen: ready to attack
    Asad: AOO unlucky nodachi 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 2 = 25; 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 2 = 19; damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
    GM rolls:
    Pug3: acrobatics: 1d20 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 1 - 2 = 11

    "Oh, you hear that, guys? Valik doesn't like them anymore!" Travis quips. The other mercenaries laugh. Despite the joking, he, Dullen, and Dross hold their positions, weapons at the ready to guard against the pugwampi moving past them.

    Surrounded by the two hulking warriors, the pugwampi attempts to dodge away to the south, but it isn't fast enough to avoid drawing attacks from Valik and Asad. AOO from Valik. Asad is flanking in AP39.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    Valik swings at the creature as it tries to move away in a moment of distraction.

    Aoo +flank 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 = 8
    Aoo +flank 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 2 = 18

    Distracted by Asad's weapon catching a rogue spear of sunlight and flashing in the darkness, Valik turns and swings wide, cleaving nothing but air.

    As the creature moves off, Valik groans and chases it once again.


    Game Master

    The flash of Asad's sword, though unlucky for Valik, presages Asad's own swing at the escaping pugwampi, and it strikes true, drawing a vicious wound. The pugwampi collapses on the stone floor, bleeding.

    "That's two for me!" Asad bellows in triumph. The mercenaries all breath a sigh of relief and group back together. Travis bumps his fist with Asad.

    Dross claps Asad on the back, then reports to Valik. "They're cowardly little buggers, aren't they? Most of them in the other room scampered off into that... carpet... tent... thing in the rafters as soon as anyone landed a hit. After you two left, I think we killed... uh, one more? Travis did, that is."

    "#$%^ straight," says Travis, wiping the blood off his big two-handed sword and sheathing it.

    Dullen rubs his hands through his hair spasmodically, staring off into space.

    "Battle too much for you, Dullen?" Asad asks with a wry grin.

    "Huh? What? Oh, no, nothing," replies Dullen quickly, hand momentarily straying to a pouch at his side, then away. "Nothing. I'm fine." Asad turns around to look in the direction Dullen was staring; the damaged frieze of the east wall depicts a battle scene where five heroic men battle an army or creatures of evil demeanor, some made of fire, some outright monsters of unknown origin, some bizarre warriors with weapons seemingly bonded to their flesh. In the background Pale Mountain looms large, and over it two titanic figures lock in a deadly wrestler's embrace: a man with a demonic visage, and a shapely, veiled woman.

    Asad looks at it blankly for a moment, then points and laughs. "Hey look, it's Valik again!" The warrior in the center of the five does appear to be the same bearded man whose statue he had pointed out earlier in the alcoves.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "Well at least I am prettier in that picture Asad." Valik says with a grin. [b]"So what is this about a tent? Are there still some of the creatures alive?" he asks.


    Game Master

    Dross shifts uneasily, looking at the floor. Travis and Dullen also look away. "Uh, yeah. I guess you didn't see it. Up in the rafters in the big room? There's some sorta... something up there. Like a tent, made out of carpet and maybe wall-hangings. When the pugs got wounded, they'd run up there, screaming bloody murder. Of course, we'd try to shoot 'em as they went, but you know how those things are. I think maybe... Two or three got away all together. We didn't want to climb up there after them without talking to you first. Looks rickety if ya ask me." The others nod glumly.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "Let's go look at it. We might be able to cut it down and send them tumbling..."

    Valik leads the band back to the main room.

    Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

    "Well what do you think? Cut it down?"


    Game Master

    The "tent" in question is suspended over the southeast quarter of the chapel, about 20 ft above the floor. As Dross said, it seems to be constructed mostly of an old moldy carpet, which may once have been red but now has a filthy pinkish appearance. The scent of stale urine permeates the chapel, and it seems that the tent must be the source. The carpet is laid over several adjacent rafters, and bent up to the ceiling to provide walls. It also intersects the eastern section of the balcony.

    There is no obvious way to cut down the tent from the ground; even from the rafters, slicing through the thick carpet would be quite a chore.

    "When they'd get scared, they run up the ladder over there (Z-13) then scamper along that rafter (between rows T and U) to the tent," Dross explains, pointing.

    "It stinks in here," Travis complains, holding his hand over his nose.

    "I do have a grappling hook, if you think it would help..., Dross says. "It's in my pack by the outside door."

    Map (from first round of previous fight; ignore the pugwampis. Upper works, including balconies, rafters, and "tent," are a transparent overlay.)


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "I almost desperately want to just pitch a torch in there...but I know the smoke would bring the gnolls."

    Valik squints his eyes and pulls out his handaxe. "Well, the way I see it, they are trapped up there. So we post someone by the rafter leading in, and the rest of us go up and in the tent to see what damage we can do. Besides, if they have any sort of treasures, they are certain to be in their lair up there...we don't want them getting away with anything do we?"

    "Who got wounded...I want you to stick by the rafter that leads to the tent."

    "If there aren't any objections or other thoughts...lets go."

    Valik leads the way to the ladder and heads up to the balcony.


    Game Master

    To confirm: The plan is to climb up the ladder to the balcony, leave the most injured person (Dullen) as a guard, and have everyone else cross over on the rafters to the "tent" and go inside?


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    Yep. IRL I can't think of a better plan right now. So we are going to try that...unless its insanely difficult. Which, when we see the rafter from above, and how strong the tent is, we will have a better idea.


    Game Master

    Though the ladder creaks, it seems sturdy enough, and Valik climbs it without difficulty. At the top, he reaches out to balance himself on the old wooden choir bench; a chunk of it comes off in his hand. The smell up here is even more foul.

    At the edge of the balcony, the distance to the floor seems farther than it had been from below; 20 feet onto stone benches. The rafter itself is clearly rotten, and it's not clear how much weight it could bear. It's also fairly narrow, and there's nothing above it to hold on to for balance.

    Acrobatics check for a 1-ft wide surface is DC 5. Normally, you wouldn't have to roll that, but with the unluck aura and your armor check penalties, it's no longer a sure thing. 20 ft fall is 2d6 damage.

    Merc roll:
    Travis Knowledge (architecture and engineering) DC 5: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20; 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

    Travis says, "Uh, Valik? I'm not sure those rafters can support us. Especially the way our luck has been going... The other mercenaries grumble their agreement.

    "We could use my grappling hook instead," Dross suggests. "Climb directly up to the other balcony? If it's even stable..."


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "Sounds good. If that doesn't work we can try to pull down all the rafters and collapse the roof on the buggers."

    Valik lets Travis take a couple of throws to get the grapel in place.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    If Travis doesn't make it, Valik will take a few tries.


    Game Master

    After a few tries, the grappling hook is securely thrown into the eastern balcony. The rope is knotted to make it easier to climb, but it is still a difficult task for the mercenaries, especially as their hands seem to slip on the rope more than usual, their gear keeps getting tangled, and assorted other bits of bad luck.

    Climb DC is 5. Each success moves you up 5 ft; it takes 4 successes to reach the balcony. If you roll 0 or less, you fall. Only Travis and Dullen have negative modifiers, so everyone else can make it up without a chance of falling. To speed things along, we can just say that Asad and/or Valik, who can make the climb, haul up those who can't.

    The eastern balcony, much like the western, is full of decrepit wooden benches which crumble at the touch. The smell of years of filth is incredibly strong here. The pugwampi nest-tent covers the southern section of the balcony. On closer inspection, it seems to be made partly of large pieces of thick wool carpet, and partly of smaller scraps of textile woven together. The entire mass is discolored and soiled, with patches of mildew and mold. There is an opening large enough for a human to pass through at the northwestern corner of the tent, against the wall of the dome. All that can be seen inside is darkness.

    Dross, always prepared, whispers, "When I went back for the grappling hook, I also brought my sunrods. Should I light one up?" He holds up two of the foot-long gold-tipped iron rods.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    "You have sunrods? That is a bit of luck...if we had torches we would be sure to set the whole tent on fire. I will hold one of the sunrods, if you don't mind. I don't use a shield, so it won't slow me down."

    Valik takes one of the rods and strikes it against the floor of the balcony, lighting it.

    Its light blazing forth, Valik enters the tent.


    Game Master

    Before you rush in, do you have orders for the others? Melee or ranged weapons, marching order, etc? They will sort it out themselves if you don't tell them what to do, just wanted to give you a chance.


    Hp: 15/21; AC:15/10/15; Perc +7; Init +0

    Nope, Valik/I forgot and charged right in this time. I am certain that the mercenaries will like a straight up fight.


    Game Master

    Pugwampi Nest
    6 Sarenith, 4711
    Mid-afternoon
    Surprise round

    Relevant Environmental Rules:

  • Aura of Unluck - All characters in the presence of a Pugwampi are cursed with bad luck, and must roll twice for any check that requires a d20 roll (ability check, skill check, attack, CMB, caster level, etc.) and take the lower result.
  • Lighting - The inside of the nest/tent is completely dark. Valik's sunrod sheds normal lighting within 30 feet, and dim lighting for 30 additional feet. Dim lighting provides concealment; attacks against creatures with concealment have a 20% miss chance. Creatures with concealment may also use the stealth skill to hide.
  • Initiative rolls:
    Valik: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (1) + 0 = 1; 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13
    Asad: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3; 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6
    Dross: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16; 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
    Dullen: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7; 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
    Travis: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10; 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
    Pugs: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
    ???: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
    Rolloff 1=Travis, 2=??? 1d2 ⇒ 1
    Turn order:
    Pugs
    (Dross)
    (Travis)
    (???)
    (Dullen)
    (Asad)
    Valik
    GM rolls:
    Pug2: short bow vs. Valik: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13; damage: 1 = 1
    Pug4: short bow vs. Valik: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9; damage: 1 = 1
    Pug5: short bow vs. Valik: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23; damage: 1 = 1
    Pug5 crit confirm: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17; damage: 2 = 2

    Valik charges into the nest, sunrod blazing. Its light reveals a "chamber" about 20' by 40', with an opening at the far end leading to another area. The eastern end of the floor is relatively level where the carpeting and fabric is laid on top of the balcony, but the middle and western portion sags. Portions of it seem so threadbare that a little light shines up from the chapel below. Sagging portion is everywhere past the rough red line on the map.

    Three pugwampis, looking somewhat worse for the wear, are clustered against the west wall; they do not appear surprised by Valik's entrance, and send a volley of arrows his way. One misses and one bounces off his armored coat, but the third finds a chink in the armor and buries itself in his belly. Critical hit: Valik -3 hp; I have current total 8/12

    Map

    Valik has a standard action in the surprise round, then it will be Round 1

    451 to 500 of 920 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
    Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Magister Ludi's Legacy of Fire, book 1: Howl of the Carrion King All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.

    ©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.