Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DMJ's Skull & Shackles

Game Master Jonasty1031

Adventure and danger on the high seas! Can you claim your own Pirate destiny in the Shackles?

Current Map


401 to 450 of 1,114 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Calvin, you are able to jump down and get to the railing as your full Round 1 action no problem.


Male Human Sea Singer 1
Callum wrote:
MAN OVERBOARD!!!

Tully rushed to the rail. Rosie!

What can I do? A rope. Could she catch a rope in that churning maelstrom? Is it worth the risk? Or should we lower a boat?

Tully scanned the deck quickly.

Perception Check - Looking for a rope - 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Knowledge Engineering Check - Is there a boat or gig? Could we lower it into the water? And what would that require? 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Tully, there's plenty of rope lying around. As for a boat, there is a small jolly boat (rowboat) but the amount of time it would take to lower and prep would be too long in these circumstances, especially with the storm.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu watches as the captain fails in his task, allowing the ship to broach and a wave to surge sideways across the deck, knocking crew over and sending loose items sliding. As soon as the water surges off the deck, he spots the figure struggling in the water off the rail. His hand goes to the quick release knot binding him to the ship. He releases it, and slides out along the spar, away from the mast, as the ship plunges through one of its pendulum motions, suspending the spar he is on out over the water and the thrashing figure below.

Ko'ulu dives away from the ship, a dark streak against the inky darkness of the storm and rain, before he hits the water below.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully grabbed a likely looking coil of rope from the deck. It felt pliable enough, and seemed likely to bear the weight of the halfling. He shook the coils loose, allowing a portion of the end to trail behind him.

I'm not sure what the action I'm about to take requires. So this may need to be adjusted.

Tully heaved the line towards the desperate halfling.

Move Action to pick up the rope. Standard Action to throw the rope. Ranged Touch Attack (-4 for non-proficiency) 1d20 ⇒ 5


Tully grabs a coil of rope and tries to toss it out to Rosie as Calvin floats down to the rail next to him. The rope splashes too short into the water and you curse as you prepare to haul it back.

As you do you suddenly spot Ko'ulu diving from the sky to splash down into the water near Rosie.

Ahh Ko'ulu, someone finally giving me a reason to bust out Stormwrack. Huzzah! :-)

Diving into water from a height allows a Swim check to negate some or all of the damage. If any of you have the book, feel free to reference this in there.
Ko'ulu Swim check, DC 15: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25, Damage on failed check: 1d3 ⇒ 3 nonlethal

Ko'ulu, that will be your Round 1 action, you are currently 10 feet out from the ship and 10 feet away (sideways) from Rosie. Your turn is going to be getting a whole lot more interesting going forward. As a HUGE Stormwrack fan I say to you, thank you lol.

Tully, you got it right on all counts. To elaborate now that the gate is opened. Anyone can toss a rope to Rosie (and now Ko'ulu I guess), Standard action ranged touch attack. You'll take a -4 penalty for non-proficiency. Additionally the rope throw has a range increment of 10 ft, so after this first round if Rosie drifts further off, you'll need to account for those penalties as well. If you miss, as Tully did, it's a move action to haul it back in. So essentially you can try to toss a rope once per turn. If you succeed, you may help haul her in, a Strength check that will aid her (or Ko'ulu's if he gets a rope) Swim check to return to the ship.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)
Quote:

The ship rocks violently as the wind howls around you, the sea a gray miasma churning madly. Without warning a huge wave crashes over the side of the ship, slamming into the mast so violently that everyone up in the rigging clutches on for dear life.

Callum suddenly leans over the crows nest, face ashen and arm outstreched as his voice booms down to the deck below. MAN OVERBOARD!!!

Everyone looks out into the maelstrom and suddenly you can make out Rosie's face as she struggles to stay afloat and close to the ship.

Not sure if being a sailor (profession) makes me proficient with throwing rope but...

"Rosie!" Xanxan grabs another coil of rope and tosses the end to her. Don't matter that one is already out there.

Profession Sailor if it helps
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Roll to hit, please add 4 if somehow he is proficient
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo's attention from tying down lines 50 feet up in the air is suddenly diverted as someone yells the warning of man overboard. The tengu immediately stops what he is doing to start looking around in the water nearby, quickly spotting Rosie. As others either plummet into the water or race to the rails and start chucking lines into the water, Jirobo creeps to the edge of the sails, looking out and calling down how far off the ropes landed from Rosie and Ko'ulu from his bird's eye view.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17
Calling out directions to those below with a better angle on the action.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum watched as Calvin floats down to the deck while Tully and Xanxan started trying to throw lines out to the flailing Rosie. His eyes widen as Ko'ulu slides along the spar. Take a rope you fool! he shouted, but his words were stolen by the wind and Ko'ulu dove into the water, unhearing.

Up in the crow's nest, Callum felt useless. By the time he could have made it down to the deck, the outcome of this situation would have been resolved, one way or the other.

Keeping an eye out for other rogue waves, Callum focused on Rosie and Ko'ulu's shapes in the water, shouting down their locations should the others need it.


1d20 ⇒ 20
1d3 ⇒ 1


As Xanxan tosses the rope, he just manages to get it in front of Rosie, who grabs it quickly. Using the rope and kicking her feet, she makes her way towards the ship, although the seas continue to tug on her.

Round 2:
Xanxan and up to two other people (the assumption being other PC's but it's not required) can make Strength checks (DC 10) to add a bonus to Rosie's next Swim check by hauling on the rope. She needs 2 consecutive Swim checks at DC 20 to get her self close enough to the ship to be rescued. She made one of them at the end of Round 1 but then drifted 10 feet away. If at the end of this round she makes another, she'll be pulled aboard.

This then leaves Ko'ulu who is currently 10 ft away from the ship. Swim DC is 20 to be able to Swim, if you make it this round, you will make it back to the ship safely. If not you will drift further out and then we'll see what happens from there. If you fail by more than 5, you not only drift out but sink under the waves.

Everyone can post their Round 2 actions.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

"Some help here, pulling her in! Tully, try your rope again for Ko'Ulu. That's too brave a mate to lose!"
STR check
1d20 ⇒ 15


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo starts toward the mast to climb down and help with the rope tossing.

Climb Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Moving as much as I can to get to the deck and help with the pulling up of bodies.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin makes his way over to Xanxan and helps pull on the rope.

Strength Check: 1d20 ⇒ 12

He doesn't contribute much, but he doesn't make the situation worse.

I can't evil eye the sea, can I? :)


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

I am so happy that I can make the DM happy...oh wait is that a giant book of rules on swimming and drowning?...crap.

Ko'ulu had underestimated the sea. Like an angry shark, she grabbed onto him, currents and eddies hidden in the waves tugging him under.

SWIM for IT! 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15


Male Human Sea Singer 1
Xanxan Gimblewabe wrote:
"Some help here, pulling her in! Tully, try your rope again for Ko'Ulu. That's too brave a mate to lose!"

Tully reeled the rope in as quickly as he could. After shaking the wet coils so they wouldn't bunch, he scanned the tumultuous horizon for signs of his friend. Callum was pointing and shouting from the rigging, and Tully followed his gesticulations, finally picking out the form of Ko'ulu. He gave the rope another heave.

Throw Rope 1d20 ⇒ 16

Strength Check to aid Ko'ulu if he catches the rope 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


Dice rolls
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d3 ⇒ 3


Rosie manages to haul herself up the rope with Xanxan and Calvin pulling on it.

Ko'ulu feels the rope slap down in front of him and none too soon as a storm tossed wave suddenly crashes over him, driving him under. Holding on to the rope for dear life, Tully can feel the line go taught as the Mwangi man gets pulled further from the ship.

Round 3:
Rosie is back on the ship now but Ko'ulu is 40 feet away from the ship but holding on to the rope so far. Again, up to three people can make a DC 10 Strength check to aid him. Success means Ko'ulu can add your Strength modifier to his Swim check, so please post that info with your rolls. Ko'ulu the Swim DC is 20, if you fail by 5 or more (so a 15 or less on your total modified swim check), you will lose your grip on the rope.

Everyone post your actions.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

"Welcome back, Rosie," Xanxan says as she gets to relative safety, "I din't mean to inspire anyone with that poem, honest." He grins wide. "now excuse me, I have to help save a strong man."

Xanxan moves to the other rope which has become Ko'Ulu's literal lifeline and pulls with all his gnomish might to help.

mind you, gnomish might is only so good, but str roll away

1d20 ⇒ 19


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Rosie was clamoring over the side, as Tully was nearly dragged the other way. Ko'ulu full fifteen stone might as well have been the two ton weight of the ship's anchor. The rope was burning through Tully's hand as Ko'ulu was swept further and further from the ship.

Xanxan grabbed the rope behind him, arresting Ko'ulu's immediate drift.

Dearest Rosie, Tully grunted through his exertions, I know you've been through an ordeal. It gratifies me to no end to see you returned and well. But, if you have any strength left after your exertions, could you kindly lend your disproportionately diminutive weight to our cause?

Where is Owlbear when I need him?

Strength Check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

SWIM! 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16

Pulled incessantly by the waves, Ko'ulu manages only to keep his grip on the rope.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

When Jirobo finally touches the deck again, he rushes over to help haul in the line the others have connected to Ko'ulu.

Strength Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Rosie immediately turns around and grabs the rope behind the others and attempts to haul. Ko'ulu is able to hold on to the rope but the waves keep tossing him around as he is pulled further from the ship.

1d3 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 7, 1d20 ⇒ 3

Round 4:
Ko'ulu is 60 feet away from the ship now although he's still got a grip on the rope. Rosie will add a +3 to the next Swim check. Post your Round 4 actions.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin feels useless - his arms are already exhausted from helping reel in Rosie. Ko'ulu just seems to drift further and further away.

Calvin will stay out of the way and do whatever is asked of him by the crew or a PC.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

"Rosie, keep hauling on the rope. I got an idea, just hope I can do it in time." With that, the gnome races off to find Owlbear...


Ko'ulu, why don't you post a bunch of Swim checks in your next post to save time. Like with Tully fighting Owlbear, we'll speed things up and just see how things go. I'll sum up the action from all the Swim checks. Everyone else who wants to can post some Str checks and I'll factor those in as well.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)
Quote:
Move action to get to him, full round to pick locks (Disable Device), move to get back with him.

Finding Owlbear in his usual place, Xanxan breathes a sigh of relief, "You okay there, big fellow? Hell of a storm. We need a strong fellow like you topside. There's a man overboard, but you can save him. Be a hero and all that! Let me get you out of those oversized cufflinks. Now after this, I'll point out the rope I need you to pull, and you give it a heave, okay?"

Disable Device
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo grits his beak as he gets a better grip on the rope and pulls with all his little avian muscles. His feet dig into the deck as he pulls and pulls and pulls.

Going to roll a few strength checks just to speed up stuff too.

Strength Checks:
Strength Check 1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Strength Check 2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Strength Check 3: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Strength Check 4: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Strength Check 5: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Strength Check 6: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Strength Check 7: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Strength Check 8: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Strength Check 9: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Strength Check 10: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully will surrender the rope to Owlbear, if he appears. Otherwise:"

Pull! Pull for all your worth!

Perform Check, on the off chance I can inspire my comrades to do better: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

Strength Checks:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu's unadulterated swim checks
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum climbs down from the crows nest, hoping to get down to help pull in Ko'ulu. He has some trouble half-way down but then looks down at the deck and clenches his jaw as he jumps down to the deck. He lands in a heap but is able to struggle to his feet and grab the rope and try to help pull Ko'ulu in.

I added rounds to these rolls since it takes time for Callum to get down.
Round: Check/Distance: Rolls
1: Climb 7.5 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
1: Climb 15 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
2: Climb 22.5 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
2: Climb 30 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
3: Climb 30 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
3: Jump 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Lethal damage 1d6 ⇒ 2
Non-Lethal damage1d6 ⇒ 5
4: Stand from prone.
4: Strength 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
5: Strength 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
6: Strength 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
7: Strength 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
8: Strength 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
9: Strength 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
10: Strength 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

If at any point Ko'ulu loses the rope, Callum will use Freebooter's Bane to give the rope throwers +1 to hit.


Alrighty, working all the various math out, I'll have an update up shortly.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Callum: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Calvin: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Ko'ulu: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Tully: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Xanxan: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Jirobo: 1d6 ⇒ 5


It is a dangerous few minutes as Ko'ulu sinks beneath the waves a couple of times but he always manages to hang on to the rope despite this. Rosie lends all her considerable strength to the line and when Callum finally makes it to the deck, he too grabs the line and heaves. A few close calls later and you're finally hauling Ko'ulu up on to the deck, panting from the swim. Unable to free Owlbear, Xanxan comes back on deck to find the Mwangi man safely on board and breathes a little easier as well.

Suddenly the deck drops from underneath you as the ship hits a particularly nasty drop before rising swiftly up to smack you into the back. Unsteadily climbing to your feet, you watch as another flash of lightning cuts across the sky. You're barely able to see much past the ship and you know it was only Ko'ulu's skill in the water that helped keep him from a death beneath the waves. But that could still very much be a possibility. And he made his save to avoid Fatigue from the swim above, which is pretty good considering you guys aren't out of the grinder just yet.

Harrigan calls out assignments and yells for Kroop. The cook runs amongst the crew as best he can, dodging the working men and passing around hard rolls and dried beef. You grab your share and wolf them down quickly before moving back to work, the deck heaving under your feet as the ship is far from out of danger.

There are no night time Ship Actions or Entertainment tonight. Everyone has to work through the night to keep the ship safe and afloat in the storm. Your new jobs are spelled out below and you may still take the Work Diligently action which gives the +4 to the job portion of your checks.

Additionally, everyone must include a Con check in their post, DC 14, otherwise you will be Fatigued at the end of this second shift. Which consequently will mean you'll be Fatigued at the start of the next day's jobs.

Everyone:
Plugg pushes Callum towards the rigging, point up towards the top his voice barely audible over the storm. Untangle those lines Mr. Carnvegas before the main sail is ripped lose!

Callum you need to make enough climb checks (DC 15, due to rain) to get 50 feet up into the rigging to help untangle the lines. Once up there you need to make either a Profession (sailor) or Decterity check, DC 12.

Seeing a number of ropes and lines tangled and in disarray from the waves crashing over the deck, Plugg directs Calvin, Ko'ulu and Xanxan to work on keeping them clear.

Calvin, Ko'ulu, and Xanxan, you need to make either a Profession (sailor) or Decterity check, DC 12.

Harrigan calls out to Tully and Jirobo before pointing up to the crow's nest. The two men rush to the rigging, starting to climb to the top.

Tully and Jirobo you need to make enough climb checks (DC 15, due to rain) to get 60 feet up into the crow's nest. Once up there you need to make a Perception check, DC 15.

Campaign tab updated with Callum's jump damage. Everyone post your Night Time work actions now.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Blast those locks are trickier than I thought. Could blame it on went hands, but truth is I maybe out of practice. When he turns to see Ko'Ulu alive and well enough, he gives a relieved smile, "Well, ain't you a sight. You must have been born to water to survive that."

But there's little time for him to jaw as more orders are forthcoming. He may not like Plugg, and he may hate Scourge, but right now duty equals survival, and that being the case, when duty calls he'll hoof it.

Such as moving to untangle and help the ropes

Profession Sailor plus Diligence
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16

Con Check
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

The little gnome works hard and he gets his share of the work done and then some but gods help him, it takes its toll. After all fighting with the storm earlier, By the time he's done, every muscle aches and he feels wrung out.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully reached over the deck railing. Taking one of Ko'ulu's hands as Rosie grasped the other, they pulled him the last of the way up on deck. Mister Ko'ulu, I would consider it a favor to me personally if you would kindly consent to remain alive for a while longer. Rosie, my dear, I am enormously pleased that the rumors of your physical stature are indeed accurate. Thank you kindly for your able assistance.

The crow's nest?! In this?!

Work Diligently

Lots of Climbing:
Climb Checks
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 Start 7.5
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9 Fall
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 Start over 7.5
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 15
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 22.5
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 30
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24 37.5
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 45
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 52.5
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 60! Woohoo!

Misread the post on edit. Adding one more climb check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
And potentially falling to my death - Reflex Save 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Resuming Climb 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

The climb during the storm was nothing like the easy climb of the first day. Tully balked at the first attempt, but determinedly fought his way up the rigging on the second. Near the top, his grip slipped on the wet ropes, clinging with knees and elbows, and even clenching his chin around the ratlines, he managed not to plummet the sixty feet to his death. Terrified, he held the railing of the crow's nest in a death grip, but could not force himself to watch the wind and waves.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Constitution Check 1d20 ⇒ 2


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]
Mr. Plugg wrote:
Untangle those lines Mr. Carnvegas before the main sail is ripped lose!

Callum, bruised and battered from the fall earlier in the day and the jump down to help pull Ko'ulu in, staggered under Mr. Plugg's shove towards the rigging and nearly fell to his knees, but then steadied himself and moved carefully over to the rigging.

He sighed looking up at the tangled lines high overhead. This could kill me. At first he couldn't seem to find the strength to grip the ropes but after leaning into them for a moment to catch his breath, he began his climb.

It seemed Besmara was with me this time, he thought as he made it up without incident. Once there, Callum was easily able to focus on the task of untangling the lines.

Climb checks:
@0: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
@0: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
@0: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
@0+: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
@7.5+: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
@15+: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
@22.5: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
@22.5+: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
@30+: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
@37.5+: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
@45+: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

Profession - Sailor: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Con Check: 1d20 ⇒ 19


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin is relieved to see Ko'ulu brought back aboard, but that relief was shortlived - he headed off in the direction Plugg pointed, following Xanxan.

Dexterity Plus Dilligence: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Con Check: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Calvin had little problems untangling the ropes, but the combination of the day's work and the stress of having Ko'ulu overboard took its toll. By the time the sun crested above the waves, he was exhausted with no relief in sight - the day's tasks could not wait for him to get a night's rest.

If there's time, Calvin will head below decks to check on Tobias before beginning the day's work.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu coughs water and sputum, kneeling on the waterlogged deck, his muscles shaking from the effort of swimming and dragging himself in to the deck.

"I think that I swallowed half of Besmera's domain. I almost died out there...I would have done it again though, for any crew."

Ko'ulu looks up and cracks something between a grin and a grimace.

"Although getting saved by the person that you dove in after is very funny! Thank you for saving me Rosie, Tullyman, and everyone else who pulled. I will remember it."

Ko'ulu stands just as the ship lurches, and he stumbles, grabbing Tully's arm, and Rosie's shoulder for support.

Seeing them standing idle, Plugg runs over and begins issuing orders. Ko'ulu, moving slower than normal, makes his way to the lines and begins untangling them.

Dilligent Prof: Sailor1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo pants beside the others as Ko'ulu is dragged back up on deck. His arms feel like jelly from all the pulling but his eyes snap up to the mast again as Plugg starts barking out more orders. The tengu slides up beside Tully as they prepare to scale the wooden tower again, "Some storm, huh?" With that, Jirobo starts up the mast. His arms imediately scream in protest as they can't make any headway against tugging even his light weight very far up the rigging.

Climb Checks:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8 0ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 0ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 0ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 7.5ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Fall, Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 0ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 0ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 0ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 0ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22 7.5ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 15ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 22.5ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 22.5ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 22.5ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 Fall, Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (4, 1, 5) = 10
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 0ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 7.5ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 15ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 15ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 15ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 22.5ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 30ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16 37.5ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 45ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 52.5ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 52.5ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 60ft
Perception Check: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22

I swear I think taking the whipping for not doing the job is less hazardous to my health than climbing...


Jirobo: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Callum: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


A crack of thunder directly above rocks you all and Tully suddenly loses his grip on the slick ropes. Time seems to stretch out as the man falls through the air. Jirobo tried to swing himself out but his arms just couldn't reach the man.

Callum hooked his feet into the rigging and threw an arm out, barely catching Tully's arm in an iron grip. Tully could feel his shoulder pop at the sudden grab and then his momentum carried him into the mainmast, cracking his head on the wood. Still, as he looked into Callum's strained face, Tully knew it could have been a lot worse.

Tully you won't get out of this scott free but it's better than breaking your neck on the deck. Thankfully Callum got a decent roll there.
Tully: 1d6 ⇒ 2 regular, 1d6 ⇒ 1 nonlethal

No one else had a near death experience so I'll have the next update up soon.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum grunted and closed his eyes from strain, his body already battered and bruised from the long day and his own falls, as he clutched Tully's arm. Opening his eyes, he looked down at Tully and breathed a sigh of relief. Careful 'bout them wet lines lad. Speakin' from experience, they can be trouble, he said forcing a grin to allay the boy's fears. Sorry 'bout yer head but ye don' want te be lazin' about the deck in front o' the cap'n. Ye'd get the lash fer sure. I figure a bump on the noggin's the better alternative.

He made sure Tully had a firm grip on the lines (and the others had a firm grip on him) before releasing him. Callum hung upside down for a moment, swaying in the wind, his eyes closed. Damn them all. There be them whats good fer climbin' and them whats aren't. Give the riggin' over te them whats good, I say. 'Tis a wonder we're not sailin' on a ghost ship. He then slowly and painfully pulled himself back upright on the rigging with a rueful smile, 'Tis probably why we got pressed. The prior crew got done in bein' worked te death.


Con checks for Jirobo and Ko'ulu for Fatigue, DC 14.
Jirobo: 1d20 ⇒ 7
Ko'ulu: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Job checks.
Callum: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Jirobo: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Xanxan: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Ko'ulu: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Calvin: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Tully: 1d6 ⇒ 2

Next update shortly.


The sky lightens as the worst of the squal finally seems to pass and you would guess it's sometime in the late morning, although the cloud cover still makes it hard to determine it exactly. There is some damage to the ship and more than a few of the crew, some of you included, are worn out from the previous day's ordeal. But you're all alive, which is something to be thankful for.

The rain is still coming down in a steady stream but the winds are a lot more normal and the waves aren't tossing the ship about like a toy. It's everything you can muster not to simply lie down but there is always more work to be done and you set about your assignments as Plugg hands them out. His eyes are bleary and red like yours and he looks enviously as Harrigan gives him the wheel before retiring off to bed. Rank hath its privledges.

Day 9

Callum:
Plugg gives you a chuckle as he points to the lines across the deck. After those falls yesterday, I think we'll keep your feet on deck today Carnvegas. You move off to begin hauling on the slack lines he indicated.

Your daily task requires either a Profession (sailor) or Dex check, DC 12 due to the rain. Additionally you also need to make a Con check, DC 10, to see if you are Fatigued at the end of your shift.

Tully:
You head in to the kitchens to find Kroop already getting ready for the day's meals. You'd have been shocked if he'd managed to find time to get some rum into him during the last day's excitement. As you enter he points you towards some of the materials he needs and you begin helping him prepare the food.

You will be assisting with the cooking today but as Kroop is sober, no checks are required.

Everyone else:
Scourge motions to Ko'ulu and Calvin, directing them towards the soapstones and the deck. Stormwash deposited a lot of brine on the decks. Scrub 'em clean before the salt warps the wood any further. His normal aggressive tone is subdued as is most people's from the tiredness left over from the storm.

Calvin and Ko'ulu, your daily task requires either a Strength or a Con check, DC 10. Regardless of which you choose, if you fail the check you will be Fatigued (or Exhausted for you Ko'ulu) at the end of your shift.

Scourge points Jirobo towards a massive pile of ropes that are tangled and clumped together on the deck. It's prety clear that the storm has snarled many of the knots and Jirobo heads to work.

Your daily task requires either a Profession (sailor) or Strength check, DC 10. Additionally you also need to make a Con check, DC 10, to see if you are Fatigued(Exhausted) at the end of your shift.

Scourge finally motions for Xanxan to assist in making repairs to the ship. And with the storm yesterday, there are plenty that need doing.

Your daily task requires either a Profession (sailor) or Dex check, DC 10.

The following NPC's will help you at your various tasks. Remember this adds a +2 to your job checks only, not the Con checks for Fatigue. Feel free to roleplay the interactions in your post.
Callum: Maheem
Jirobo: Jak Scrimshaw
Xanxan: Rosie Cusswell
Ko'ulu: Badger Medlar
Calvin: Samms Toppin
Tully: Kroop (since it's already built into your daily task)

The Campaign Tab is updated with everyone's current conditions, please consult this before posting your next update. Everyone please post your Day 9 Job checks along with your Day Time Ship action. Those of you who are Fatigued please remember to take the corresponding penalties into account for any rolls you make.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully struggled along the companionway, the guide ropes seemed the only thing holding him up. He splashed water from the main deck's scuttlebutt on his face. There was a knot the size of a dodo's egg on his forehead, and every movement of his arm felt like the bone was grinding on broken rock. The ship was in disarray. But, it had survived.

Somehow, thanks to Callum, he had survived. I'll talk to Mistress Grok later. He needs a feather for that hat.

In the galley, Fishguts looked as storm-tossed and weary as Tully felt, but he was sober and active. Tully set about helping him. Unfortunately, the dreariness and mindlessness of peeling potatoes was too hypnotic. Tully felt himself drifting off to sleep. Start talking. If Plugg or Scourge find you sleeping, they'll have no mercy.

The captain seems a more than capable helmsman. His handling of the Wormwood through this crisis was exemplary. I suppose he is not a man who cares for the praise of his lessors, though I do wonder, at times, what sort of man is he? Surely, you've had more acquaintance with him than I, Master Kroop.

Master Scourge seems to have a fondness for our lovely Mistress Quinn. I fear I have not made the most favorable impression upon him thus far in our voyage. But, perhaps you have gained the advantage of me. As fellow officers, you may have more common ground from which to build a fellowship.

The Wormwood handled well through the violence of that squall, don't you think? She's quite a handy vessel. Where was she crafted? How did Captain Harrigan come by her? Has she been refitted recently? What port does she call home?

There are a few officers whose acquaintance I've not yet been fortunate enough to have made. Perhaps, time permitting, you could introduce us. It would be most gratifying to at least know the names of those we answer to.

Haha! Captain Harrigan must like quite a bit of spice! Madame Peppery is certainly a hot one, and Madame Patchsalt is a salty character indeed! If only we could season the stew as well as that!

That Master Plugg is a rather unrelenting fellow. He has some rather dramatic ideas about discipline, doesn't he? I hope never to end up on the wrong end of his Cat. But, perhaps I speak unfairly in my ignorance. What sort of man is he, when the crew do not demand his attention?

If necessary: Diplomacy - Gather Information - Versatile Performance (Oratory) 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 9 + 2 = 21

Daytime Action: Shop at Grok's
If she has some kind of super-ostentatious feather, like peacock or ostrich, I'll get it for Callum. Otherwise, I'll ask to see any other high quality (masterwork) or special (magical) items she might have.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin wearily makes his way over to where he's directed. He grabs the soapstone and looks at it for a moment, examining its pores and wondering at the intricacies that lie beneath its surface. He heard a voice call his name and he thought for a moment the stone was speaking to him, but he realized it was simply Samms. "Oh, hello, foot-lady. You helping scrape the deck today? I'll mind your toes as I work."

Con Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

He sets to work scraping the deck. He doesn't say much but has an amiable chat with the barefoot woman. The work isn't hard and he doesn't tire himself out.

At one point during the day, he sees Cog urinating off the side of the ship. He walks over and joins him. "Bit of a storm last night, eh? We're lucky to survived. Tobias said he hasn't seen a storm that bad in all his days. I have. In that storm we lost 15 crew men and our main mast. We drifted into port, but not before losing 5 more. The ship stank like I imagine hell would. Have you ever been in a storm like that before?"

Calvin speaks with as friendly a voice as he can, trying to engage this loner in conversation.

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) - 2 + 2 = 5

He realizes that he had been bragging about his experience and might potentially offend the sailor by implying that he hadn't experienced such a storm before. He quietly cast memory lapse (DC16) and simply asked if that was the worst storm he had ever experienced.

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) - 2 + 2 = 18

Day Time Action - Influence Cog


Calvin, where are you getting the +2 to your Diplomacy checks? The -2 I get from your abysmal Cha score but where is the +2 coming from?

EDIT: Never mind forget what I said above, just checked the campaign tab and noticed the +2 for this NPC.

Cog will save roll: 1d20 ⇒ 15


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

When the storm's fury abates for a time, Jirobo slides slowly down from the crow's nest, his arms and legs so sore that he fears he shall fall over at the slightest push. The weary tengu looks at the others, none of them look any better, even Plugg and Scourge, as the battle with the storm has drawn all the strength from everyone. When the day's orders are casted out, Jirobo shuffles to the ropes and joins Jak at unknotting the ropes.

A few hours into the day, Jirobo feels like almost passing out from lack of sleep and energy as he blinks his heavy eyes several times and tries to focus on the ropes. By the end of the day shift, Jirobo is slumping over the ropes he is slowly untying, barely there as he babbles to himself incoherently, "Four measures of oil. Shine the lenses. One, two, three twists. Birds of a feather flock together. Three seashells sailing along the sea shore. Rope, up, over, around, through the loop, down again."

Day Action: Work diligently.
Profession(sailor) Check: 1d20 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 4 = 17
Constitution Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]
Mr. Plugg wrote:
After those falls yesterday, I think we'll keep your feet on deck today Carnvegas

Aye, aye Mr. Plugg. I think me sea legs be actin' up so t'would be best te keep me feet firmly planted on the deck, Callum replied while moving over to the slack lines.

A bit later another crewmember running messages came tearing towards Callum, neither noticing the other. Just before a collision that would likely have knocked Callum across the deck, the large Rahadoumi stepped in and the smaller crewmate bounced off his chest. Getting up off the ground, the crewmate was ready to start an argument, until he saw Maheem's scowl, at which point he fled to his post.

You best be watching yourself man, Maheem said to Callum, You got stones, but you keep playing tag with the deck, the deck goin' to win.

Callum smiled up at the man. Aye, ye may be right there. I think I'll take yer fine advice an' try to keep out of harms way. At least 'till the bruises are gone. Then the deck had better watch out!

Maheem laughed as they both hauled on the lines.

Later Callum had another near disaster with that same crewmember but luckily stepped aside to avoid the onrushing man. Grabbing his arm Callum glared into his eyes, I don' know what ye have against me, but I don' take well te being run over. No matter the import o' yer messages, keep an eye on where ye be steppin', lest ye do worse than knockin' skulls with me or me friend here, he growled, indicating Maheem. Mayhap ye fall into the sea, savvy?

Profession - Sailor DC 12: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 2 = 29

Choice of one of the unknown crew that would be a runner/swab for the interaction
Angle - Diplomace DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Influence - Intimidate DC ?: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Con Check DC 10: 1d20 ⇒ 1

401 to 450 of 1,114 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMJ's Skull & Shackles, Part 1: The Wormwood Mutiny All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.