Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DMJ's Skull & Shackles

Game Master Jonasty1031

Adventure and danger on the high seas! Can you claim your own Pirate destiny in the Shackles?

Current Map


351 to 400 of 1,114 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully wrinkled his nose as he tramped down to the 'tween decks with the rest of the crew. In his mind, a few hits with the starter was hardly a punishment compared to being trapped for the whole of the night in the cramped and stinking confines of the crew berths.

I should apologize to Master Kroop. That was not very friendly of me to berate him in that way. Fishguts was busy killing his newest hangover with the daily consignment of rum, however, and looked to be in no mood for company. I've got to get him off of that poison before he kills himself... Tomorrow, then, if he's sensible.

Tully scrounged around the galley until he found a large serving bowl. He filled it with an overly generous portion of the stew, and lugged it carefully into the hold. Good evening, Mister Hartshorn! I hope the rain above have not dampened spirits below. Tully smiled to see that the big man was in a good mood, despite having been chained in the hold all day. The scuttlebutt left for Owlbear was a stagnant, algae-infested sludge. Tully dumped it out and scrubbed it clean, as best he could, before refilling it with what passed for clean drinking water aboard the Wormwood. As he was pouring the sludge into the bilges, he tried to casually pour his rum out with it. I've brought your dinner, though I'm afraid it barely qualifies as sufficient.

As Owlbear dug into the stew, Tully bid him a good night. But, when he turned to leave, Owlbear finally spoke. "Men?"

Tully turned back to see the proffered hand. He broke into a large smile. Of course, my good man! Of course! Tully clasped his hand and nearly buckled at the strength of Owlbear's grip. I voluntarily fought this man?! Good night, friend Owlbear. Enjoy the repast, as best you're able.

DM:
This is not intended to be a sneak action. I assume the officers wouldn't object to my feeding Owlbear, though they may follow me and observe to see that I don't get into any mischief. And I am using this as my opportunity to discard the rum.

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Plus, friendships should be nurtured.

Tully looked around the crew berths. Everyone seemed to be carrying a rather dismal and downcast expression. The candles were guttering, casting flickering shadows. The crew were talking in quiet tones and whispers. It gave the space a haunted feeling. I can work with this!

The ghostly hour is upon us, my friends! It is in these times that the spirits of our forebears sally forth to bring their suffering upon the world of the living! Just as Esmerelle the Jackrabbit discovered, the night she sailed her proud ship Indefatigable into the heart of the Ghost Fleet of Karnev!

Entertain Action - Perform (Oratory): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum took the lashes stoically and then stood to the side to let the rain wash away the blood before re-donning his armor and coat. He sat down at the table and, knowing they would have eyes on him for his earlier crime, Callum forced the rotgut down his throat. At least it might make the food what Fishguts didn't cook easier te eat. His face turned into a scowl when the disgusting slop hit his pallate. I stand corrected. Choking enough swill down so that he at least not go hungry he stood up, the rum in his head and the taste of garbage in his mouth angrying up his blood.

He stomped over to Kroop. I don' know what's on yer mind, when ye be drinkin' so much ye sleep through yer shift, he began slamming his empty mug against a dish in order to make it clang loudly in the hungover man's ears, but I'll be damned te the depths afore I let ye sleep through yer shift again. Each time it happens yer damn near poisonin' us. Happens again, I might help turn you in te somethin what's more palatable than this swill, he concluded spitting into Kroops plate before stalking off to his hammok to sleep off the injuries and the rum.

Angle - Diplomacy (+2 rum bonus):
1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 6 + 2 = 22

Influence - Intimidate (+2 angle +2 rum):
1d20 + 7 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 2 + 2 = 29


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Meanwhile back in the stocks.

Ko'ulu grins as the whip snakes across his back once more. A thin dribble of blood welling up where the lash opened up a barely healed wound. This is getting easier...almost like a habit...

As the evening grog gets passed around, Ko'ulu hears the grumbling about the evening food. Boiled cabbage without any meat again.

Ko'ulu pours his rum into the cup of the first crewmember that he passes as he heads back to his room. Bowl in hand,he grabs his lines and hooks and heads back topside.

Tully man! We need to talk when you are done talking.", he says as he walks over to the railing and begins stringing and baiting lines, while Tully orates.

When Tully finishes and comes over to the railing Ko'ulu begins stepping him through the finer points of fishing.

"This food isn't the best bait in the world, but it has enough grease residue on it that the fish might be interested. At the worst, I can show you some things that you can use tomorrow."

Can improving the food of the crew be considered an influence action?

Fishing 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
And that sucked horribly. If I shirk tomorrow can I "aid another" to help Tully fish?


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo emerges from the holds happy and content as he holds up the bodies of several rats to show Xanxan and any of the others, "I caught a big haul today. We can have crispy fried rat meat tonight if I can talk Mr. Fishguts into cooking something other than cabbage soup. We need some meat in our bellies." The tengu ties the rats to his belt by their tails as Scourge and Plugg mete out more punishments that day. The rain does little to drown out the groans and thwack of leather across flesh which ellicts a wince from Jirobo each time.

He hops after Xanxan and Ko'ulu after their date with the whip, trying to keep up as he lightly touches each of their backs, blood staining his fingers as he whispers to the winds. He gives Callum a sad look afterward, "All out of leverage with the winds today. If you're still hurting tomorrow, come see me."

Cure Light Wounds on Xanxan: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Cure Light Wounds on Ko'ulu: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

That evening after another horrible meal followed by more rum, Jirobo slips his rum back to its rightful place as he heads off to see the cook, Fishguts. The tengu raps lightly on the door frame of the kitchen as he holds up several of his prizes for the day, "Excuse me, Mr. Fishguts. I brought some meat maybe we could have for the next meal. They are good and fat feeding on our stores and should be tasty-tasty fried up with some butter and herbs. Or maybe stuffed in some fish and baked slow. Could talk to Mr. Ko'ulu about fish, he seems to like them very much."

Night Action: Influence Fishguts
Stealth Check vs Rum: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Diplomacy Check vs Fishguts: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15


The description was good, but Tully you would still need to make a Stealth check to hide the rum toss. Rolling it myself to save time.
Tully Rum stealth check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Ko'ulu you've been purposefully tossing yours with no concern so I'm not rolling one for you under that assumption.

Updates on the way.


Calvin trundles off to sleep, his day spent in the box exhausting. As he does so, Ko'ulu heads up on deck, not letting a little rain get in the way of some relaxing fishing.

With the crew all together to avoid the rain, Tully sees an excellent opportunity to liven their spirits and try to give himself an edge in dealing with some them. Retelling the story of Esmerelle and the Indefatigable captivates everyone listening and your telling of it plays beautifully into the weather outside. There's a distant boom of thunder that you somehow weave into the cannon's of the ghost fleet on the attack. By the end, the crew is cheering and slapping you on the back.

It's an almost comical procession as the rest of you approach Ambrose Kroop at various points. Xanxan comes back with a disgruntled look on his face and his shirt soaked in rum. Callum, brooking no nonsense for that has a few choice words with Kroop, who does acknowledge some faults of his own doing. Still there's a certain amount of respect on Kroop's face as Callum walks away. Rounding out the entourage, Jirobo offers his "catch" to Kroop as a means of helping with the menu. The big man laughs loudly at the rats and takes them in good nature, although as the little tengu turns away, he quickly tosses them out one of the portholes into the night.

Tully, you succeeded in the Entertain action, take that into account for any Influence actions during the next day.

Alrighty so Xanxan made Fishguts Unfriendly, Callum had none of that and brought him up to Friendly(!), and Jirobo polished it off by making him Helpful. Lol I think Callum has come up with his answer to the question "Is it better to be feared or respected?".

To answer your questions Ko'ulu, you won't be able to influence the crew with fish unfortunately, it will need to be one of the 3 social skill checks. Also, normally you could not aid Tully in his work as you have different jobs and couldn't spare the time. However, if you would like to specifically choose the Shirk action and instead of exploring the ship, aid Tully (or anyone else), then that is fine. You would still need to make your normal job checks with the Shirk -2 penalty but I'm fine with that, it fits with the flavor behind the Shirk action.

Next update coming shortly.


Campaign tab is updated based on Jirobo's CLW's and a night's rest. Job rolls:
Callum: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Xanxan: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Jirobo: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Calvin: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Ko'ulu: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Tully: auto


The next day dawns and you all wearily climb up to the main deck, although dawn is a relative term today. The ship rocks steadily as the rain from yesterday has picked up into the beginnings of a storm. The sky is a dark gunmetal gray and the rain is lashing down hard from the sky. Swells rock the ship and you're all thankful that any seasickness you may have had has long since passed.

Plugg looks down at the crew from the top deck. Well every day can't be a pleasure cruise, can it ladies?!

Day 7:

Callum:
Plugg points up to the rigging. Another day up there Mr. Carnvegas. This weather is fouling the lines and we're not going to hold up well if they're not repaired.

You need to make enough climb checks (DC 15, due to rain) to get 30 feet up into the rigging to make repairs to the lines. Once up there you need to make either a Profession (sailor) or Decterity check, DC 10.

Additionally, you will take a -2 to the job check because of the weather. You will receive aid from an NPC, mentioned below, this will essentially cancel out the penalty and give you a net +0 to your normal check.

Everyone else:
Plugg looks to Tully. Seems your cooking skills are still lacking, despite my hopes when you volunteered. Some time in the bilges will help motivate you I hope. He then points to Ko'ulu. Wild man, you get down there and help him. With this blasted rain, it'll probably be a two man job anyways.

Ko'ulu and Tully, your daily task requires a Strength check, DC 12. Additionally you need to make a Con check, DC 10, to avoid being Fatigued at the end of your shift.

Plugg then looks to Calvin. Well with all this water, seems a good time to swab and scrub the decks. Get on that!

Your daily task requires either a Strength or Con check, DC 10. Regardless of which you choose, if you fail the check you are Fatigued at the end of your shift.

Plugg grabs Jirobo's shoulder and directs him towards some of the piles of rope. This weather is going to foul the lines if you don't stay on top of them. Keep 'em knot free and coiled.

Your daily task requires either a Profession(sailor) or Strength check, DC 10. Additionally you need to make a Con check, DC 10, to avoid being Fatigued at the end of your shift.

Plugg directs Xanxan towards some of the decking. Repair that decking, this water is soaking through and some of the wood is warping!

Your daily task requires either a Profession(sailor) or Dexterity check, DC 10.

Everyone please post your Day 7 job checks and Day Time Ship Actions.

The following NPC's will help the PC's with their tasks, providing a +2 bonus on the job check. (Note that this is for the job check only, not any of the Con checks to avoid Fatigue) Please feel free to RP this help in your posts:
Grok - Xanxan
Rosie - Callum
Sandara - Jirobo


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin awoke to find Tobias' beak pressed into his back - for a moment he thought he was still in the sweatbox, but he quickly realized the dodo had simply climbed into his hammock for the night. He got up from the hammock and stretched, his joints popping and his muscles - if they could be called such - ached with the effort.

Heading to the deck, he almost lost his balance as the ship hit a swell. "I should've planned my 'rebellion' for today - would have been almost pleasant in there." Calvin says, pointing to the box. Tobias gives a noncommittal squawk.

Strength Check: 1d20 ⇒ 3

Today's task seems almost a blessing after yesterday's treatment. He scrubs the deck - which is made significantly easier thanks to the rain falling. However, he gets a little lazy and has to work extra hard towards the end of his shift to get up a particularly nasty stain he had missed earlier in the day. The extra effort exhausted him. I am fatigued.

Calvin, eager to sneak another peek at the arcane laboratory, heads off to grab a look.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Day Action: Sneak


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Edited to revise re: falling

Climb checks, etc.:

There was a bad roll so spelled it out here. Too much to put all in ooc so put in spoiler instead.
Also, although it may not apply here since this is more rain, but recall Callum's trait that reduces wind by one step for personal checks and those done to captain/steer the ship

Climb 5 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Climb 10 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Climb 15 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Climb 15 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Climb 15 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Climb 20 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Fall 20 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5 nonlethal
Climb 0 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Climb 5 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Climb 10 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Climb 15 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Climb 20 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Climb 25 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Climb 30 ft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Mr. Plugg wrote:
Another day up there Mr. Carnvegas. This weather is fouling the lines and we're not going to hold up well if they're not repaired.

Callum blinks up at the ropes through the rain. Aye, aye, Mr. Plugg, he says as he approaches the rigging and begins to climb. The ropes are slick, and Callum struggles a bit, half-way up before continuing to climb. It seemed all was well until, suddenly, as he was reaching for the next rope, his foot slipped. He tried to hang on but his fingers slipped and he fell. Flailing about, he grabbed at a rope as he fell but, unfortunately, it slipped through his fingers and he plummetted to the deck.

Rosie comes over to check on him. Are you all right? she asked.

Aye, he responded as he slowly stood up. A lil' worse fer wear, but I'm still on me feet. Well that were a pleasant ride. Best I get te work though. Can't be playin' all the time.

Rosie chuckled. Well maybe I can give you a hand until you learn to stick to the ropes.

T'would be much appreciated. Mayhap yer lovely presence can help distract me from this rain, he said smiling before climbing up to his post. This time without incident.

Profession Sailor: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 2 = 22

Near the end of shift, he approached Maheem who seemed exhausted from his work on the sails. Now's not the time fer restin'. Keep yer bloody lines taut! I'm done climbin up te fix what yer been breakin. Next time, mayhap, I toss you up there te work on 'em yerself.

Angle - Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Influence - Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 7 + 2 = 20


Calvin:
You aren't able to catch much more of a glimpse into the laboratory itself than you've already seen but you do manage to watch more closely as Longfarthing goes into it. She makes a discreet motion with her hand as she turns the lock and you realize that you might want to be careful trying to make your way in there if it ever comes to it.

You see the door is locked with a Good quality lock. Additionally, Longfarthing also keeps it shut with a casting of Arcane Lock.


Callum:
Despite your nearly killing yourself trying to climb up, you manage to haul yourself back up into the rigging and with Rosie's help are able to keep the lines repaired and working.

Later as you shout towards Maheem, the man rolls his shoulders at you, not really seeming to give your words any real weight to what he was already doing. But he did nod at you before turning back to his work, and you get the impression that while the two of you might never be drinking buddies, he does seem to have a healthy respect for your skills as a sailor.

You brought Maheem from Unfriendly to Indfifferent!

Regarding your trait, the penalty to the job is from the weather as a whole, not just the wind aspect of it which is why it wouldn't apply unfortunately.

Also to note, you would take the full 2d6 falling damage and it would all be normal, not nonlethal. The Acrobatics check to avoid the damage and convert it to nonlethal is only for a "Deliberate Jump", not slipping and falling. In this case though, you would get a Ref save to catch yourself from falling. I'll add these rolls here to save time.
Ref Save, DC 20: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Using the 5 you rolled above, possible additional falling damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5

So you will take a total of 10 falling damage, campaign tab updated as such.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Seeing Callum fall at one point during the day, Calvin moves over and helps him up. As he does so, he attempts to heal his wounds.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

"Your lucky that wasn't worse, Hat man. You looked like Tobias trying to fly."


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]
Calvin wrote:
"Your lucky that wasn't worse, Hat man. You looked like Tobias trying to fly."

Aye. Yer bird looked like it were havin fun whats with the flyin high. I thought I'd give 'er a try, Callum replied with a rueful smile, Thank ye fer the healin', it be much appreciated. I daresay some others would prefer me not te be at me best. All right Rosie, he said turning to the halfling, let's head up.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

"Good news, Tully man! No cooking for you today. Even better, we have important work! We get to keep the ship from sinking today!"

Ko'ulu works the pumps with Tully, and keeps up a long winded lesson of fishing on the open ocean. Bait, line, time of day, differences in fish, and how to prepare them are all discussed.

The water keeps pouring in though, and Ko'ulu struggles to keep up with the press of wave, pumping as fast as he can.

"This storm be squeezing water into the ship! Is the Wormwood made of wood or sponge?"

Str 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Con 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Frustrated, Ko'ulu stops and starts checking the seals to see if he can determine where the water is coming in. "Is there a leak? I wonder if I can caulk it up?

Profession:Sailor 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
Quote:
Plugg directs Xanxan towards some of the decking. Repair that decking, this water is soaking through and some of the wood is warping!

The rain is pouring down hard, the thunder cracking in the background. The gnome grins at it all. Oh, he's been in storms at sea before. He knows they could die or worse, but the sheer excitement of it thrills his gnomish soul nonetheless.

Sailor check. +2 for help added in
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

I had a bad feeling about the dice on this one. Maybe I'm psychic. Since a one is always a failure... grr...
Grok had been ready to offer him a hammer for the task, but as the gnome puts out a hand to take it, a strong wind rips side one of the boards he'd lifted and tears it over the side and into the drink. Xanxan curses like... well, a sailor knowing that rotten luck won't spare him from punishment.

FORTUNATELY, it's Grok herself who helps save his hide.
"I think we've got an extra board down below," Cutthroat makes a superstitious gesture to ward off whatever might be angering the wind... just in case.

"I'd be much obliged!" Xanxan says with relief.

Shortly, a spare board is brought up, and while it takes more effort than he'd like, Xanxan gets the job done.

Daytime action: Influence "Badger"

Xanxan moved through the rain during his work, noting Badger nearby. He strikes up a conversation.

"Reminds me of the storm a brewin on the Varisian coast while I was on a ship called the Journey." No doubt, a sea dog like herself can relate

Sense motive to figure her out.
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Going to use Charmer to increase chances of getting her out of unfriendly mode. Best of 2 diplomacy rolls
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Ko'ulu:
You work hard at the pumps but it seems to be a fruitless endeavor. Checking the hull around you, you don't notice anything to give you concern but still, this rain isn't helping your task.

There's no hull breach. Your Prof sailor check basically confirms that the storm is what's causing any unusual amount of water present.


Xanxan, I deleted my response and will update shortly after you're all set with yours. Lol, you and I are too quick on the post trigger it seems. And see my OOC post on nat 1's but you're all set for the job.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
DM Jonasty wrote:
Xanxan, I deleted my response and will update shortly after you're all set with yours. Lol, you and I are too quick on the post trigger it seems. And see my OOC post on nat 1's but you're all set for the job.

Thanks. All done now. :)


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo closes his eyes as he listens to Plugg pass out the day's tasks, instead letting the growing storm flow all about him. He trails his fingers through the windstream and lets the raindrops flow down his feathers. A barking command from Plugg sends everyone scurrying to their tasks and snaps Jirobo from his communion with the storm. The tengu blinks out the rain pooling by his eyes and hops over to the ropes and sees that Sandara is already working at keeping them unknotted.

A blush comes to Jirobo's face, hidden by his black feathers as he starts pulling and coiling the ropes. He keeps giving Sandara quick glances from the corner of his eyes, watching her working beside him. She may lack feathers but she is very pretty for a human. Twice she has saved my life and I must return this debt threefold. But what can a poor down on his luck tengu do for such a nice, pretty lady? For most of the day, Jirobo works quietly beside Sandara, too shy suddenly to talk. Throughout the day, without Sandara even noticing, the tengu tugs several loops of rope out of the way as she nearly steps on them and would of have found herself dangling a dozen feet up as the rigging crew changed the sails out.

Jirobo hums a tune softly and then stops abruptly when he notices Sandara watching him, "Sorry, it is a song my father used to sing. About some gulls riding the winds across the sea and the places they saw. It's a silly child's song but helps me remember home."

Day Action: Work diligently
Profession(Sailor) Check vs Ropes: 1d20 + 8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 8 + 4 + 2 = 20
Constitution Check: 1d20 ⇒ 18
Jirobo is now officially crushing on Sandara.


Jirobo:
The work goes well and Sandara's aid helps make the day go by that much quicker. She looks at you as you sing until you choke off at her notice. As you apologize, she smiles warmly before raising her own voice in song. While the words are different, the melody is the same as you were singing before and your eyes widen.

She gives a laugh as she hums while returning to work. A common tune in the Shackles, if a different song. Some times music can help even the hardest task become a little more managable little bird.


Male Human Sea Singer 1
Ko'ulu wrote:
Good news, Tully man! No cooking for you today. Even better, we have important work! We get to keep the ship from sinking today!

Good news?! Important work?! Tully shook his head vehemently as they descended into the stinking filth of the bilges. This is an insult! This is dishonor! They gave us the lash and the starter, last night, and yet they punish us further this day. We are above this, you and I. We are nobility, in spirit if not necessarily in blood. Tully glanced away, hoping not to betray the truth of his birth, even to his trusted friend. They soil our honor, even as they soil our boots. And this insult shall not pass, Mr. Plugg...

Strength Check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Constitution Check 1d20 ⇒ 4

Ko'ulu wrote:
This storm be squeezing water into the ship! Is the Wormwood made of wood or sponge? Is there a leak? I wonder if I can caulk it up?

Don't concern yourself, my friend. You have spent your life in fishing boats. Bigger ships have bigger timbers, bigger seams. A ship with a rough sea is much like a maiden with an impatient lover. The Wormwood is being sensible, and yielding enough of herself so that she may fend off the sea's bolder advances. If she became too rigid, he would break her, and drag her to the seabed.

Hopefully, this isn't too much knowledge without a check. Tully has Kn (Engineering), and in my background it was pretty specifically tied to the (theoretical) working of ships.

At midday, Tully stepped to the main deck to breathe the fresher air. The action of the ship was mush livelier above sea level, and it wasn't long before he ran afoul of a swab running messages.

Ooof! I beg your pardon... Mr. Cogsward, is it? Tully reached down to help the man up. This is the man Sandara warned us against. I'd best guard my tongue and be mindful of his words. I fear I've not yet had the pleasure of your acquaintance, yet, dear sir. This unfortunate collision is most assuredly to my greater gain, then.

Influence Action - Versatile Performance (Oratory)
Angle - Sense Motive 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
Influence - Diplomacy 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 22


Tully:
As you reach a hand down to help the man up, he shoves your hand aside and gets to his feet. His scowl is pointed and he shoulders past you to continue on his work, voice sarcastic. Beg all you want, you can't have my pardon, mi'lord. Just stay out of my way.

You've discovered that Cogsward was Unfriendly and while it doesn't sound like it, you managed to get him up to Indifferent. Part of his reaction is the Angle you discovered, that the man is a loner and violent. You came across as "weak" (aka polite) and he thinks he's the stronger man which helped improve his attitude. Almost a reverse Callum, if you want to think of it that way.

Next update coming shortly.


Xanxan, I had an update for you but it got eaten. Needless to say, you discovered Badger's "angle" and also brought her from Unfriendly to Friendly.

Update coming shortly.


The rain and wind didn't let up once during the day, it at times felt worse and the only indication the day was over was the bell chiming as the sun never had a chance of making an appearance. The crew assembles on the deck quickly before heading below.

Tully, Ko'ulu and a few others are berated by Plugg for failing their duties but Calvin is called out especially, tied to the post for a whipping. Failed the check by more than 5. After Scourge is through, Ko'ulu moves forward without being prompted, already knowing he's to be whipped for dumping his rum again. Scourge laughs and a brief flash of lightning makes his face look even nastier than normal. Your second night in a row dumping your portion, guess you should get twice the lashings.

Whips rolls, remember a 1 is an auto-miss:
Calvin 1: 1d20 ⇒ 19, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal
Calvin 2: 1d20 ⇒ 4, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 nonlethal
Calvin 3: 1d20 ⇒ 17, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 1: 1d20 ⇒ 19, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 2: 1d20 ⇒ 5, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 3: 1d20 ⇒ 6, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 4: 1d20 ⇒ 14, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 5: 1d20 ⇒ 14, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 6: 1d20 ⇒ 1, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 nonlethal

After the punishments, the crew heads below to be served the food and the rum, glad to be out of the rain finally. The holds are starting to smell of mold and sweat, with all of you crammed in for the last two nights. The rocking of the ship makes it hard to eat but you still manage, ravenous from the day's work.

Rum rolls for those that drink:
Callum: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 5 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Xanxan: +1d4 ⇒ 4 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 8 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Ko'ulu: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 3 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Calvin: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 8 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Jirobo: +1d4 ⇒ 2 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 7 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Tully: +1d4 ⇒ 1 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 8 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 ⇒ 20

Please post your Day 7 Night Time Ship Action(s). The campaign tab is updated to current stats, excepting the Rum choices of course.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo tries to lose himself in the storm instead of hearing the whip striking flesh. This must stop. So much senseless pain. This must stop. He opens his eyes in the aftermath, Plugg and Scourge laughing in the storm as proud Ko'ulu slumps to the deck. The tengu scurries forward, his eyes staring at Plugg and Scourge the entire time, a hard gaze and something that nobody has seen come from the little tengu before. His black eyes study the two like some giant bird of prey about to make a meal of them as he grabs Ko'ulu by the arms and helps drag him down below.

Once out of sight, Jirobo rubs his hands together, muttering loudly in time with the roaring of the storm outside. His hands glow as he traces them across Ko'ulu's back, the whip marks sealing once more to join the other dozen or more faint scars upon his back. Once Ko'ulu comes too, Jirobo leans in close and gives the tribesman a hard stare as well, "You may be proud but this helps no-one. Stop giving them reason to make you weak. Horde your strength for the day. It will be coming." He leaves Ko'ulu with a hard pat on the shoulder as he hops over to Calvin, once more calling the winds to lend their aid.

That evening at the meal, Jirobo sits close to Sandara, watching the woman closely as he eats his meal slowly. The rum seems to disappear somewhere else, not staining his beak, as he listens to her chatting with other crew members.

Night Action: Sleep
Stealth Check vs Rum: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Cure Light Wounds(x2) on Ko'ulu: 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (8, 8) + 4 = 20
Cure Light Wounds on Calvin: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

It was the first time Calvin had felt the whip. He was surprised by the clarity the first blow brought. He no longer had voices swimming around his head - simply silence. Whatever satisfaction might be brought on by such silence was quickly replaced by pure, indescribable pain. He had seen men whipped. He had analyzed how certain trajectories would open up larger, bloodier wounds. But to experience it himself was something else.

He was relieved to have the bird heal his wounds once again, unsure whether he would have the energy to do so himself. He smiles weakly at Jirobo in thanks.

Rum Dump Stealth Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Renewed by Jirobo's healing, Calvin dug into the meal. It was a far better fare than they'd had of late - no doubt a result of Tully's day in the bilge. Once again, he attempted to dump his rum when it was passed. Unfortunately, he was certain Scourge was looking right at him as he did so.

After the meal, Calvin will move towards "Cog." "You stand alone a lot. I used to do that, too. But Tobias talked me into talking to people. It doesn't go well very often. But...sometimes...I don't have to stand alone."

Influence - Diplomacy: 1d20 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 + 2 = 19

Nighttime Action: Influence


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Scourge was taking a special joy in tormenting Ko'ulu. It was hard to think of someone as "too honest", but Ko'ulu certainly fit that description. Tully thought back to his first observations of the Mwangi. Strong and honest. He is safe from everyone except himself...

Fishguts seemed to have all his faculties about him, as he moved to a bench in the crew berth. Tully took the seat beside him. Please forgive my intrusion, Master Kroop. I only wished to stop and offer my apologies. My words the other night were hasty and ill-considered. I fear that I am quite lost without your guidance, as our fare of the last several nights will attest.

Hopefully that matter will pass... Now, perhaps it is time again for making new friends! Time for a new approach, I think.

Tully dropped boldly into the only open space near Maheem. What an ugly night this is! Kindly make some room, won't you fellows? Only cheerful company, it seems, will break the clouds of despair descending on this crew. Shall we make a go of it, then? You seemed eager enough when Owlbear and I "conversed", didn't you? Tully gave the stern man a wink and clapped him in a friendly way on the shoulder.

As the group shifted around to grant Tully some space, he took his opportunity to dash his rum in the corner.

Stealth Check 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 7 - 2 = 18
Influence Action - Versatile Performance (Oratory)
Diplomacy 1d20 + 9 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 9 + 6 = 29

Edit: Added Fatigue Penalty to Stealth roll.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Still reeling from his fall earlier in the day and the rum from the night before, Callum decides he'd best not drink tonight. He winces as his cup slips from his hands clattering to the floor. Well, ye done it now Cal. Good on ye fer dumpin' the rotgut. Pity ye drew the attention of the entire crew doin' it.

Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

After the meal he sat by the old half-elf woman. Tell me Badger, how do ye like it on the open sea? Nothin' like it I say, although I could mayhap do without the fallin' from the lines or the rotgut. You?

Influence - Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 2 = 15

After his conversation, Callum heads to his bunk, hoping to sleep of the previous night's rum.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xanxan watches as Ko'Ulu takes the hits and fights the urge to wince at every lash. Gods above, man. Just try to slip it by like the rest of us. Too proud, that's him.

Quote:
Once out of sight, Jirobo rubs his hands together, muttering loudly in time with the roaring of the storm outside. His hands glow as he traces them across Ko'ulu's back, the whip marks sealing once more to join the other dozen or more faint scars upon his back. Once Ko'ulu comes too, Jirobo leans in close and gives the tribesman a hard stare as well, "You may be proud but this helps no-one. Stop giving them reason to make you weak. Horde your strength for the day. It will be coming." He leaves Ko'ulu with a hard pat on the shoulder as he hops over to Calvin, once more calling the winds to lend their aid.

Xanxan keeps half an eye on his feathery friend and realizes he had the same concerns. Ah well, that's said and done then. He gives Jirobo a nod and a mutter, "Needed to be said. Don't know if he'll heed." then he adds just as quiet, "I'll be out and about later tonight, if you know what I mean. Wish me luck.

It'll have to be after the rum though. By now getting rid of the stuff is almost routine. And that can be dangerous, because routines are something a man can get too cocky about.

stealth to ditch rum": 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

action that night...Sneak! Or is it steal since he'll be unlocking a door? Either way

Xanxan takes what the others have told him, and what he's seen, to stay cautious about traps. He brings a bit of grub to Owlbear as excuse, then takes that path up.

Some rolls to seek out traps, remove/bypass them, and unlock doors while sneaking into the officer area.

Perception, I believe he gets rogue +1 for finding traps": 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Disable Trap/Device": 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Open Lock/Disable": 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Stealth": 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27

If I'm missing anything, feel free to roll for me or adjust where I end up if you feel it speeds things up. I don't want folks to wait around too long twiddling their thumbs for news on if I'm dead and they get my stuff ;)


Updated the campaign log with the healings.


Calvin:
Cogsward gives you a look as you sit next to him. He shrugs and grumbles as you speak. 'lone has got me far enough so far, if it's any business of yours. He nods slightly to you as he downs his rum. Still nice to know there's others that understand. Night to ya'.

You've shifted Cog from Indifferent to Friendly.

Tully:
The big Rahadoumi man gave you a large pat on the shoulder, your arm tingling from the slap, as he nods towards Owlbear. You got some brass canon balls between ya' legs for takin' on that brute. Wish more of the milksops around here were half as tough.

You've shifted Maheem from Indifferent to Helpful! Although you wouldn't know it given his scowl lol.

Callum:
The older woman spits on the deck with a grin. This piss ain't good enough for a Chelish whore but it gets tha' job done, right enough! She notices your spilled rum and shrugs. You best be careful with that, you'll get the lash like your friend over there.

You've shifted Badger from Friendly to Helpful.

Xanxan, is it gonna be Sneak or Steal? Really it boils down to intention and then I go from there. Sneak might show you a lot of info but even if I tell you about an unguarded artifact, you won't get the option to take it. It's all about intentions with those two options, you let me worry about the mechanics. So, Sneak or Steal?


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

In that case, sneak. Information is more important than some goody... at least at this time.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Scourg's lash rips into Ko'ulu, sending him swimming down into the darkness.

The next thing he knows, he hears the suruss of feathers and the click of a beak near his face. Ko'ulu opens his eyes, feeling much invigorated to see Jirobo leaning over him.

Jirobo wrote:
"You may be proud but this helps no-one. Stop giving them reason to make you weak. Horde your strength for the day. It will be coming."

"Thank you Birdy. I think that I cannot change who I am. I will not drink the grog unless our leaders do as well. How can we know that it is not poisoned, how can we trust them when they do not drink with us?"

Ko'ulu springs to his feet and stretches, feeling the pull of the healed scars on his back, but no pain.

"Fish swim, sharks bite, jelly sting. We are what we are." Ko'ulu rifles through his pack and pulls out his armor and slips it on, tightening and tying down the laces. "You are a good person Birdy. Thank you for healing me. I will stand with you when the time comes."

Ko'ulu pauses before going up the gangway. "Do you think that we should try something different? Make it a matter of us, not them? We could make sure that all the crew drink together, at the same time...I will see if the Owlbear will drink with us. That will let me know if we are crew, and they are not." And with that cryptic remark, Ko'ulu heads back up to the main deck.

When the rum ration is passed around, Ko'ulu takes his below and walks into the hold.

"Owlbear. I am come to see if you and I are crew together. I have my grog to share with you. I will drink and you will drink and we will be crew...Plugg and Scourge will not."

Ko'ulu gulps some of his grog and holds the cup out to the chained man.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Call it influence I guess. diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 1


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Well, that isn't going to end well...


Xanxan:
Thanks to Tully's actions, Owlbear simply gives you a nod and an exagerated wink as you move past him up the stairs to the officers quarters above you. The door at the top of the stairs isn't trapped and it opens easily to your touch. Despite this you push caustiously into the room.

You can see a number of individuals sleeping in hammocks, Plugg, Scourge, Longfarthing and a few others. There are footlockers as well, each locked. Examining the two doors that lead out to the main deck, you see that they are locked with Good quality locks and each contains a resetable harpoon trap, the same one that skewered Jirobo the night before.

With the ship rocking hard in the waves, you quickly scamper back down to the holds before one of the individuals wakes and sees you.

I've added basic descriptions of the other officer's to the list of NPC's. You'll need to learn more about them before you get any more info but you do know they're officers and probably outside of your Influence. Additionally, you learn that the 24 you got on the Disable Device would not have been high enough to handle the traps on the doors. Otherwise there wasn't much to see that was of any real importance.

Ko'ulu:
Owlbear looks at you funny before spitting in the rum you offer him. I'm no joke! You like the rest, think I slow. You a dick!

After you head back to your berth you begin to realize that your halting accent might have come across as mocking to the slow speech of the simple man. He clearly didn't understand that your heavy accent was simply an aspect of where you were from, not a means of mocking him.

So mechanically it's damn near impossible to adjust a Helpful NPC down a step but when you attempt it and roll a 1, there has to be consequences. Owlbear will still remain Helpful to the party, but when it comes to you directly, his help will be minimal and infrequent, you shouldn't count on his aid when dealing with him directly. If any of the other PC's are being helped by him, you will probably be lumped in but otherwise don't expect it. Good example, had you attempted Xanxan's exact action above, Owlbear would not have let you past him to get to the officer's quarters.

Next update coming shortly.


Callum: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Jirobo: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Xanxan: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Calvin: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Tully: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Ko'ulu: 1d6 ⇒ 1


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xanxan ponders what this means as he returns. I could have slit Scourge's throat. I might have died for it if he started to wake, but SO tempting. No, better to report to the others.


The ringing bell in the morning isn't the normal steady call to start the day but rather the fast clanging sounding all hands to positions. Some of you don't even need this to wake as you are violently flung from your hammocks to crash into the hold floor. The ship is pitching wildly as you make your way above and some of you lose your footing as a wash of water pours down into the main hold from above.

Climbing out on to the main deck is like stepping into a nightmare or story. The storm seems to have suddenly exploded out of nowhere, the steady rain having become a full gale. It could almost be evening for how dark the sky is, the clouds thick and black, the gloom pierced by crackling lightning. The wind howls around you, making it hard to hear anything. Massive waves raise the ship dizzily before dropping it back again while others crash over the sides, sweeping curtains of water across the deck.

Instead of Plugg up on the sterncastle, Captain Harrigan himself is manning the wheel, muscles bunched and his face a silent snarl as he battles to keep the ship together during the storm. Plugg moves up to you, soaked to the core and voice raised to be heard. Everyone up in the rigging now, even you Tully! Cap'n's doing all he can to keep us afloat and you men need to make sure he's able to do that. After divying up the tasks, he moves off to help himself, hauling on some of the lines as sailors rush around the ship.

Day 8:

Everyone:
Callum's got some company, you're all Riggers today!

One of the ropes above snaps and Ko'ulu rushes up into the rigging to attempt to fix it, the line whipping around in the violent wind.

Ko'ulu you need to make enough climb checks (DC 15, due to rain) to get 30 feet up into the rigging to make repairs to the lines. Once up there you need to make either a Profession (sailor) or Decterity check, DC 12.

Jirobo quickly follows Ko'ulu up the ropes, noticing slack lines starting to tangle towards the top of the mainmast.

Jirobo you need to make enough climb checks (DC 15, due to rain) to get 50 feet up into the rigging to help untangle the lines. Once up there you need to make either a Profession (sailor) or Decterity check, DC 12.

Plugg whistles Xanxan over to him and the gnome begins tying off ropes as needed and hauling on lines that become too slack.

Xanxan, you need to make either a Profession (sailor) or Decterity check, DC 12.

Harrigan calls out to Callum and Calvin. Up to the nest and keep watch for rogue waves or sudden troughs that might capsize us!

Callum and Calvin you need to make enough climb checks (DC 15, due to rain) to get 60 feet up into the crow's nest. Once up there you need to make a Perception check, DC 15.

Plugg points tully to one of the main lines leading to the mainsail. Tully rushes over and begins to haul on it with some of the other crew.

Tully, you need to make either a Profession (sailor) or Strength check, DC 12. Additionally you need to make a Con check, DC 12 or be Fatigued at the end of your shift.

There is no time or opportunity for any Ship's Actions today other than Work Dilligently. All of the NPC's are busy doing the work you're all doing, so none of them will be able to provide any assistance for your jobs today. Weather penalties are already factored into the DC's of your tasks.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xanxan is shot out of his small hammock like a stone from a sling. He WHUMPS against a wall, and opens his eyes, "And morning to you, fair sea." His grin is back as he moves quickly, "Up and at em lads, the good sea has sent a storm that may yet kill us all... should be a right fun change of pace"

Quote:

Instead of Plugg up on the sterncastle, Captain Harrigan himself is manning the wheel, muscles bunched and his face a silent snarl as he battles to keep the ship together during the storm. Plugg moves up to you, soaked to the core and voice raised to be heard. Everyone up in the rigging now, even you Tully! Cap'n's doing all he can to keep us afloat and you men need to make sure he's able to do that.

After divying up the tasks, he moves off to help himself, hauling on some of the lines as sailors rush around the ship.

Still smiling, Xanxan gives a snappy salute when issued his orders and hops to it. He'll try to tie the ropes in knots he learned that hold well in the wet and is smart enough to use a post to keep the slack out of others.

Working diligently as that's the only (sane) option in a situation like this
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

As he works, he recites an old poem, "Has anyone seen Billy, he was standing on the deck.
The deck where that big ole wave went my lads, where it crashed and moaned.
Now suddenly Billy's gone, and I'm standing here alone.
It's not like Billy to be shirking, an act so without feck
For he was a hardworker, his sailing skills quite honed.
Yet now I see he's left his job, I do hope we won't wreck.

Should you see my old mate Billy, perhaps at the bottom of the sea.
Give him a poke in the eye, and tell 'im it was from me!"


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Climb Checks:

Not sure how many I'll need, so here goes.

1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 5
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 5
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 14
1d20 ⇒ 5

If at any point he falls, he will cast Feather Fall and resume climbing.

EDIT: I forgot to include the +4 for working diligently. Sorry.

After finally reaching the crow's nest, calvin attempts to peer through the torrents to see what dangers are incoming.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Too many climb checks and near death experiences:

Assuming the +4 only works on the Perception check, so only adding pure climb skill
Climb 5: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Climb 5: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Climb 10: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Reflex DC 20: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Climb 15: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Climb 20: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Climb 20: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Climb 25: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Climb 30: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Climb 35: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Climb 40: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Reflex DC 20: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Fall: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 5, 2) = 15
Climb 5: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Climb 10: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Climb 15: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Climb 20: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Climb 25: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Climb 30: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Climb 35: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Climb 40: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Climb 45: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Climb 50: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Climb 50: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Climb 55: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Reflex DC 20: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Climb 55: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Climb 60: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Captain Harrigan wrote:
Up to the nest and keep watch for rogue waves or sudden troughs that might capsize us!

Aye, aye, Captain, Callum said as he went to the ropes to the crow's nest. It took him a couple of tries to get a grip on the ropes, but then he began his climb. His hands slipped shortly afterwards, but he was able to catch himself and continue upwards. He had to pause a third of the way up to wipe his hands off on his shirt. Shortly past the halfway point he lost his footing and his grip didn't hold. Grasping futilely at the ropes he plummeted to the deck with a resounding crash.

He lay there dazed for a few moments, but eventually picked himself up with the help of some of the crew nearby. He looked up at the crows nest, over at the captain, and then back upwards. Sighing, he grasped the ropes again and began his death defying journey upwards. This time it was smooth sailing... at least until he was very near the crows nest, where the slick ropes slid out from under him. Luckily, he was able to catch himself and finally drag himself up into the crows nest where he sat back to catch his breath for a few minutes. Groaning he stood up, wiped the rain from his eyes, and began keeping an eye out on the waters.

Not long in he spotted it. Captain! Rogue wave to port! he shouted to the captain and hung on tightly as the boat tilted and turned into the wave, the bow smashing through it.

Perception 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 4 = 28


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

The bell was like the clanging of a giant bee in his ears that startled Jirobo from his sleep. The pitching of the ship and roaring of the winds outside gave clear sign that they were in the worst part of the storm. The tengu patted Xanxan's shoulder as they all headed out to the deck, "Becareful today, Xanxan. This is going to be a bad storm."

Outside, while the others are being blown nearly over by the winds and rains pelting the deck as if there was an angry sea god hurling down insults against the ship, Jirobo seems barely bothered by the winds though his feathers start poofing up again as he shivers in the rain. The tengu blinks in surprise to see the Captain hard at the helm, barking out orders to Plugg and the others.

As they are ordered to man the sails, Jirobo sees a snare starting up above. Following quickly on the heels of Ko'ulu, Jirobo starts up the mainmast. The slippery ropes prove difficult to clamber up as the tengu goes tumbling down not once, not twice, but thrice. The third fall is brutal as Jirobo clutches his left leg, muttering to the winds as he pops several bones back into place before attempting the mast again. Eventually, he is able to get up to the slackening lines and makes quick work out of them before they go causing a horrible mess.

Climb Checks:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Total Height Climbed: 7.5 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Fell, Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Fell as started climbing again.
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Total Height Climbed: 7.5 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Fell, Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Total Height Climbed: 0 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Total Height Climbed: 7.5 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Total Height Climbed: 7.5 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Total Height Climbed: 7.5 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Total Height Climbed: 15 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Fell, Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 6) = 7
Cure Light Wounds on Self: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Fell as started climbing again.
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Total Height Climbed: 7.5 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Total Height Climbed: 15 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Total Height Climbed: 15 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Total Height Climbed: 22.5 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Total Height Climbed: 30 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Total Height Climbed: 37.5 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Total Height Climbed: 37.5 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Total Height Climbed: 45 ft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Total Height Climbed: 50 ft

Profession(sailor) Check: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
I should be 3 hp down after all the climbing if I got my numbers right.
And I'm not sure if it even would help, but as a 2nd level Storm Druid, I treat natural and supernatural winds as one category lower for myself.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
Quote:
The bell was like the clanging of a giant bee in his ears that startled Jirobo from his sleep. The pitching of the ship and roaring of the winds outside gave clear sign that they were in the worst part of the storm. The tengu patted Xanxan's shoulder as they all headed out to the deck, "Becareful today, Xanxan. This is going to be a bad storm."

"I know...great isn't it?" The gnome grins before the two head out then separate for work.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

The swaying of the ship had a hypnotic quality to it, as Tully heaved himself into the hammock that night. A full week had passed since that first dreadful morning. Scourge had disarmed him. Seasickness had disabled him. The "keelhaulin'" of Mr. Jakes Magpie had unmanned him.

Still, he had found a few kindred souls aboard. Thank the Inheritor for that! But, he was the "lubber". He was the weak one. The officers had dismissed him. The crew had disdained him.

The fight with Owlbear had turned the momentum. The officers, the crew, they all had a healthy respect for him, now. His companions were making gains as well. They had started at an enormous disadvantage. They had fought back. Now, we are approaching parity. And parity is when we go on the offensive...

Something was bothering him, though. A thought, like a splinter, irritating his mind, disrupting his peace.

Crimson "Cog" Cogward wrote:
Beg all you want, you can't have my pardon, mi'lord. Just stay out of my way.

He called me "mi'lord"... How much does he know? How much does he guess? Tully mulled it over, swaying as the ship pitched and rolled.

It was late, when sleep finally overtook him.

It was bedlam, when sleep was driven from him.

The bell was clanging as if to wake the dead. A rogue wave crashed into the ship. It leaped as if some fantastic titan had kicked it. Tully half-rolled, half-leaped from his hammock trying to time his movements with the erratic dance of the ship. He was pitched hard into the bulkhead, then thrown to the floor. The halfling, Rosie, careened into him, tripped and went reeling beside him. "Gods blast to damnation! Move your f%*~ing ass the hells out of the way!"

Your pardon, ma'am.

The ship leaped upwards, then dashed forwards. Just as Tully stepped into the motion, it jumped to the left and leaped upwards again. The drop into the trough was sickening. The bile was rising in his throat, just like the first day. But, before it could seek release, the ship wallowed, then leaped again.

Sandara was rushing towards him, too fast to stop. He caught her round the waist, pinning himself to the bulkhead. In the back of his mind he knew he should be quite pleased at this turn of events, but there was no time to dwell upon it. He maneuvered her towards the gangway and pushed her forward, following her up into the ugliest storm he had ever seen.

Mr. Plugg wrote:
Everyone up in the rigging now, even you Tully! Cap'n's doing all he can to keep us afloat and you men need to make sure he's able to do that.

Tully grabbed the drag ropes. The wind fluked and he hauled. The wind caught and he braced. Fluke and haul. Catch and brace. More than once he was dragged across the deck by the tremendous leverage of the mainsail. More than once he went reeling as the wind eddied and the drag vanished.

Work Diligently - Strength Check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Constitution Check 1d20 ⇒ 19


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu awoke to the change in the Wormwood's sounds. She had always creaked and groaned with the shift of the wind and the swing of the rudder as sky and wave worked against the cloth and wood, but the quality was different. The wind was feverish, shrieking, and the rain no longer beat upon the deck, but was being flung and pushed through every crevace by the wind.

The storm is stronger.

Ko'ulu flipped out of his hammock and slid his wrist sheath and dagger on. He had slept in his armor, and for a moment he considered, and rejected taking it off. It wouldn't hinder him, too much in the water, and more importantly it might protect him from a snapped line or storm-flung spar struck him.

He dashed up the companionway as the bell began to toll.

The rain and wind felt like sand flung from a beach during a windstorm, stinging his skin. He shielded his eyes from the rain and looked above, judging the tension in the rope.

I don't know how much the Wormwood can take, but this looks like too much sail in the storm. We just need steerage, so we can face the waves, not to go anywhere.

Ko'ulu couldn't hear Plugg over the storm, but it wasn't important, it was obvious that everyone was being ordered into the rigging. He walked over and put a hand on the ratlines, feeling the humming tension, water on the rope pouring down over his hand and down his legs to the deck. He could feel it when it happened, there was a thrum, as if a giant had plucked a line like a musical instrument, and suddenly a line was free, whipping back and forth as the wind dashed it around.

I need to get to that before it fouls the other lines!, he thought as he grabbed the ratline and began to climb up to where the stayline had broken free.

Dice:
climbs 6' 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
climbs 6' 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
climbs 12' 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
climbs 12' 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
climbs 18' 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
climbs 18' 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
climbs 24' 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
climbs 30' 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
climbs 30' 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

The rope had been treacherous, and Ko'ulu had slipped several times, but he made it up to the rope. The rope still swung free, and Ko'ulu lunged for it several times before catching it with rain slicked hands. He slid down the spar to where the line had broken and worked quickly on the stay, getting it reattached.

Profession Sailor, dilligent 1d20 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 + 4 = 17

Ko'ulu moves off, working his way through the rigging back to the mast, and keeps a weather eye out for any other issues, tying a quick release knot around himself to keep from being blown off the mast. Several times he has to free himself and shimmy out to where he can help other riggers, unrecognizable shapes in the fury of the storm, to repair damage.


After his pained fall, Callum feels Sandara's grip on his arm. A soft blue light suffuses him and he can feel the injuries patching up. With a nod of thanks he made his way back up the ropes.

CLW: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

With Calvin's Feather Fall and Jirobo's casting, Callum was the only one in need of healing. Campaign tab is updated accordingly.


The ship rocks violently as the wind howls around you, the sea a gray miasma churning madly. Without warning a huge wave crashes over the side of the ship, slamming into the mast so violently that everyone up in the rigging clutches on for dear life.

Callum suddenly leans over the crows nest, face ashen and arm outstreched as his voice booms down to the deck below. MAN OVERBOARD!!!

Everyone looks out into the maelstrom and suddenly you can make out Rosie's face as she struggles to stay afloat and close to the ship.

Alright, we're on Initiative at this point. Not going to roll it, basically whatever order you post in is the order you go in. Once everyone has posted, then I'll post Rosie's turn, then we go to the next round, etc. Initiative is more to track how much you can accomplish per turn.

Currently Rosie is 10 ft away from the ship in the open water but she'll be quickly pulled further away as the rounds progress. The PC's are at the following:
Ko'ulu is 30 feet up in the rigging
Jirobo is 50 feet up in the rigging
Callum and Calvin are 60 feet up in the crow's nest
Xanxan and Tully are at the rail with the rest of the crew

What do you guys do?


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin was an excellent swimmer - he had spent countless hours practicing the craft on his former ship after being thrown overboard as a joke by the crew every time the ship was anchored.

He wasn't used to swimming in such treacherous waters, though. And he certainly wasn't a hero. And the one drowning certainly wasn't a bird.

But he couldn't watch a helpless being suffer like that.

He leapt from the crow's nest down to the deck below, casting feather fall to keep from killing himself. He moves to the railing and prepares to jump in - if no one else closer does.

I should be able to land on the deck as a full-move action. If I can't make it to the railing, too, I will do that on my next turn.

351 to 400 of 1,114 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMJ's Skull & Shackles, Part 1: The Wormwood Mutiny All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.