Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DMJ's Skull & Shackles

Game Master Jonasty1031

Adventure and danger on the high seas! Can you claim your own Pirate destiny in the Shackles?

Current Map


101 to 150 of 1,114 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 25/27)

in character grumbles:
Quote:
Sweat dripping from your brow you look up to see Scource smiling down at you. Looks like we found some way to shut your yap up, eh boy? You're gonna flood this ship with s$#~, you incompetent swine. You'll taste the whip tonight for your ineptitude. With that he moves back up to the deck, leaving you to finish what little you can while you dwell on what is to come that evening.

Xanxan considers mouthing off himself TRUE incompetence might be putting one of the shortest members on the crew neck deep on a task like this you great lummox. Damn the man to the nine hells his mother came from... he's got me for sure and he knows it. No escaping the lash for this.

Then he tries to perk up, I know it won't be FUN per se, but I don't think I've ever been lashed before so... there's something new as well.

Despite his attempt to look in the bright side, he doubts that's really going to help.

But it will give him yet another reason for revenge.


Male Human Sea Singer 1
Callum wrote:
"How it works is when the bell does it's ringin' the lot o' us go up fer our duties. Them whats gets in our way will wish them was given a nice peaceful keelhaulin' next to what we've in store for 'em. Are ye one o' them what's curious on what it'll be?" Callum asks the ringleader who had spoken, his hand hovering over his boarding axe.

Tully sincerely doubted that anything he and his confederates could do to these men would compare to the horror of a "keelhaulin'". The memory of which sent the bile rushing again into his throat.

Seasickness:
1d20 ⇒ 4

Callum's hand hovered over his boarding axe as he advanced on the man. In the end, however, he left it sheathed and answered the threats with fisticuffs, as any gentleman would. He's not as cutthroat as I feared. He is certainly more worldly, in these matters, than I. Perhaps a bluster and threat is enough to carry one through some of these storms.

The brawl ended quickly enough. Tully was careful to end the action near enough to the man with the strange bird that they were obliged to climb the companionway side-by-side. A good morning to you, sir. Proximity, it seems, is not a catalyst for familiarity. I am Tully, or Young Tully, as it pleases you. It gratifies me to no end to find that there are others aboard who will meet violence with words. Though, such words as yours, I confess, I've never heard. Nevertheless, I have the honor to meet...

.........

Mr. Plugg wrote:
Late to shift?! I don't tolerate laziness on this ship! That'll be three lashes for you lads tonight!

Tully was not yet bereft of sympathy. He felt bad for any man whose future held the certainty of a flogging. Those men had been foolish to pick such a fight, especially as they probably understood the consequences far better than Tully had.

He clapped Ko'ulu on the shoulder as he turned for the galley.

Fishguts wrote:
I need you to get down to the hold, bring up a pig, slaughter it, and clean it. Cap'n wants a special feast tonight. Probably wants to celebrate another fine example of justice from last night. Phaw!

The trip to the hold, by necessity, took him past the quartermaster's shop. There is another one whose acquaintance I would be wise to make. She seemed to enjoy my night's tale well enough. She may be disposed to a little polite conversation.

My greetings to you, Lady. I would esteem myself fortunate if I may trespass upon your company for a short while. He bowed over her hand. Your name, of course, has reached me in conversation, Mistress Grok. But, I certainly would not keep you at such a disadvantage. I am Tully, and it is my very great pleasure to meet you.

Influence Action:
Diplomacy 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Catching Dinner:
Profession (Cook) 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9

The pigs, in the hold, were far less amiable than those folks Tully had introduced himself to. Tully's sympathy extended to them, until he realized that lashings tended to follow poor performance, aboard the Wormwood.

I'm not sure how Nauseated condition from seasickness affects any of this.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin is pleased to hear that he won't be manning the bilge today. "Your work should be easy," he says to Xanan before the small gnome heads down. "Tobias and I made it shine yesterday. Though we did miss the man living down there. If you happen to see any people, best clear them out."

He introduces himself and Tobias to Jirobo. "Calvin. This is Tobias. He's my dodo. He can't fly. I fall much slower than he does." After introductions are complete, he says to Tobias, "See Tobias, this bird can speak out loud - perhaps he will teach you."

Acrobatics Check: 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 2 + 4 = 20
Con Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

He spends the day with Jirobo, sadly shaking his head as the Tengu falls all over the deck clumsily. "He's clumsier than you are, Tobias. Perhaps you can teach him how to walk."

Calvin works hard (Work Diligently Action) and has no problem climbing over and through the rigging to reach the various members of the crew. He is eager to avoid the bilge and wants to get on Scourge's good side - if such a side exists.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 25/27)
Quote:

Calvin is pleased to hear that he won't be manning the bilge today. "Your work should be easy," he says to Xanan before the small gnome heads down. "Tobias and I made it shine yesterday. Though we did miss the man living down there. If you happen to see any people, best clear them out."

Oh sweet irony. :)

"The bilge is never easy for one of my height, but my thanks then. Good luck on your own tasks." And off the gnome went unaware of just how bad it could get and how little luck HE was going to have.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Just saw Tully's post...responding here.

"Calvin. I'm Calvin. This is Tobias. He's a dodo. He doesn't fly. He falls really fast when dropped from heights. I could show you if you'd like, but Tobias gets grumpy when I do. As for my words," he shrugs, "They are useful. But they often increase the violence." Tobias squawks loudly and Calvin breaks into riotous laughter. "Oho! Tobias! Good one. Clever one, you..."


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Oh..! Well, let us not make the poor creature grumpy. But, you can't mean that he t-? Or rather, that you can-? Or... well... It's quite a unique pleasure to meet you, Calvin. A-and you, Tobias. Time permitting, we shall get to know one another better.

Tully stepped up into the sunshine of the deck, nettled, and more than a little amused.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

After the short fight with the sailors, Callum quickly ran up the steps with the others, making it just in time for duty assignment.

He smirked as the men were led out and assigned their evening punishment and raised an eybrow at Scourge's reaction. The man must have bilge for brains! Him what sendin' four against six? We might not be a close group as yet, but an enemy sure is unifyin'! The fools hadn't a chance.

Mr. Plugg wrote:
"Get on those lines today, Mr. Carnvegas! And don't trip yourself up."

"Aye aye," he said as he headed to the sterncastle to begin his day's work. First the main, then the stern... Mayhap tomorrow I'll tend the fore an' be able te say I been all over the ship... {sigh} Here's te hopin' these ropes don' wear me down.

Profession (sailor): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
CON check (temp CON of 10) 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3

Callum curses under his breath as he realizes his hopes were going to be dashed and he'd likely be out quickly again. At this rate, I'll be a corpse, what with the raisin' and lowerin'... I think them others might be slackin'... an' the rotgut... savvy? I need to friend the quartermaster. Maybe she can give me a dram less or skip me altogether... Well, don' be gettin' ahead o' yerself Callum... Make nice with her and mayhap in a few days or a week ye'll convince her... {sigh}

At a lull in his work where the heading and weather are stable, Callum heads down to the quartermaster. "Hey lass, pardon me botherin ye the other day, an' again if I be troublin ye agin. I jes come by to gander at yer wares an' also te question ye on the rum. Is it all ye can serve or do ye have some wine or ale for servin too? Not that I mind the rotgut mind, but... after a week of it I expect I might be hankerin for somethin with a different flavor, savvy?

Influence: Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Perception to see the wares since he's there: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


Calvin:
A long day spent focusing on the play and feel of the ship pays off and you make it through the shift admirably. Especially given what the poor tengu has in store for himself, you're especially grateful for a relatively "quiet" day of work.

Tully:
Fishguts harangues you for your trouble with the pig, giving you grief for hours. Still no harm, no foul right? Just try to get your ass in gear next time.

Taking some time while down in the hold, you manage to catch a few minutes with Grok. At your questions she smirks at you. Aren't I the popular one today? Still, you've got some manners on you, I'll give you that. She gives a throaty laugh as she looks you over. A little thin for my tastes but maybe you've got some stamina in ya?

Feel free to carry on the conversation a bit if you want but mechanically you just managed to hit the DC to bring her back up to Indifferent from Jirobo's earlier misstep. :-)


Male Human Sea Singer 1
Cut-Throat Grok wrote:
Aren't I the popular one today? Still, you've got some manners on you, I'll give you that. She gives a throaty laugh as she looks you over. A little thin for my tastes but maybe you've got some stamina in ya?

Ah, quite. I suspect I can sympathize even more closely with the pigs, now. Sadly, I shall soon be remiss in my duties unless I take my leave of you. But, if fortune is kind, we shall have ample opportunity to build a closer friendship in the days to come.

With that, Tully beat a hasty retreat, back to the sty, where his mouth was less likely to create problems.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu grins widely, flashing bright teeth at Scourge as he goes over to the locker, grabs the holystone and begins to grind his way across the deck.

Action: Sneak, Holystoning:Strenth +4 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Ko'ulu works hard, grinding his way across the deck quickly.

So can Ko'ulu search an area other than the top deck? For instance can he search the cabins? What would be reasonable? If he can use the Sneak action to search locations below the main deck, like Plugg's cabin, then he will do so, if not, then he will just search the main crew berthing area.


Callum:
You seem to take to the rigger's position as you have another day of solid job performance. Hauling the lines, keeping things moving, you're holding up well under the tasks. You have found though that you haven't been nearly as physically prepared as you thought you might be after learning of your jobs. For a second day, the work winds down and you feel yourself ready to collapse from the exhaustion.

And the day wasn't just a success with the work. You'd managed to get Grok alone to introduce yourself and try to find out a little more about the ship's quartermaster. As you approached her she let out a hearty laugh. You're the third new fish to swim up to me today. I know ass kissing when I see it but Besmara be blessed, there's something to be said for persistence.

She waves you around to look at her goods although you don't have enough time to really peruse them. At your question of the rum, she shrugs. Cap'n's orders. Everyone drinks their rum. I could probably find some wine to sell that you could polish it off with but you'll get the rum too. As you go to leave she gives you a grin. You and your friends seem a decent enough sort. Bit refreshing compared to some who take on with a crew.

You've just managed to make Grok Friendly to the party.

Tully:
She shrugs before giving you a nod. Well I'm sure I'll see you around. Ain't no place else to go.

Ko'ulu: You can search whatever area you like. If you have some place specific in mind then note it, otherwise just say you're searching and I'll pick a new area. If the ship doesn't have exactly what you specify, I'll try to get something close, otherwise it'll be random. Given what you listed, it sounds like you want to try to check out the Officer's cabin. Plugg doesn't have a room of his own on the ship. Is that what you want to do?


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Sure. Let's try that. If I get whooped for it, then I won't be that inquisitive in the future.


Ko'ulu, the Sneak action gets you either a Perception check OR other skill check, with no threat of detection. So no worries about the whooping.
I'll go ahead and roll it this time to keep things moving.
Ko'ulu Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12


Ko'ulu:
You find few breaks during the work day but when you do, you try to catch a glimpse into the officers quarters off of the main deck. Unfortunately you're unable to get more than a peak in at any one time. You spot of stairs that lead down into the main hold and from what you can tell, the doors that lead out on to the main deck are kept locked and only the officers seem to have keys.

Next update coming shortly.


The day draws to a close and your second day aboard the Wormwood has proven as chaotic and unexpected as the first. You don't know how far you've traveled in the last two days but it's been hard to focus on anything other than what was put in front of you. Occasionaly you've seen tiny atols and reefs but land has been far from sight for a while. Just a reminder that the ship is moving lol. Sometimes I forget myself.

As the crew gathers on deck, the "Bloody Hour" arives. The four men from the morning each move forward and the first moves up to the whipping post in the middle of the ship. Scourge binds the man's hands to the wood and then hoists his shirt above his head, exposing his back. Scourge looks to Plugg who nods his head. If you please Master Scourge. Make a note men, laziness is not tolerated on this ship! Scourge uncoils his whip and proceeds to draw 3 bloody lines across the man's back. Once done, he goes through the other 3 men.

After that, Jirobo, Xanxan and another crew member are brought forward to the whipping post. The other man struggles against the men holding him, trying to plead his case. I only allowed a few of the lines to go slack. It wasn't my fault! As they strap him to the post Pulgg calls down from the stern deck. Scourge, give him another three for insubordination! Scource nods and proceeds to whip the man who quickly passes out from the pain.

Xanxan is pulled up next and lashed to the post, his feet straining to maintain contact with the deck. Scourge pulls back his arm and swings it forward, the whip cracking in the dusk air. The second strike goes wide, hitting the post to the jeers of the crew.
Whip attacks are auto-hits except on a 1, thus the rolls.
1 Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 15, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 nonlethal
2 Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 1, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 nonlethal
3 Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 12, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 nonlethal

After the gnome is dragged off, Jirobo is put to the post, his feathered back exposed to the air. Some of the pirates grumble a bit, as pirates on the whole prove to be a supersticious lot but none question the punishment, practicality outweighing belief. Plugg speaks up as Scourge begins the whipping. Our tengu friend here earned himself 3 lashes today for a piss poor performance at his job but he's getting another 3 for being caught wandering the ship last night where he wasn't supposed to. Use this as a reminder. This isn't a pleasure cruise you scags! Jirobo missed the last part of this when he slipped into unconscioussness.
1 Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 7, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 nonlethal
2 Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 14, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal
3 Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 8, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 nonlethal
4 Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 20, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 nonlethal
5 Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 14, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 nonlethal
6 Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 11, Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal

After the punishments, Xanxan and Jirobo were dumped unceremoniously to the deck where the rest of you were watching. Xanxan stirred weakly but Jirobo didn't move, his slight chest not rising or falling. You looked amongst each other, none sure of what exactly to do. Sandara suddenly appeared amongst you, shouldering you aside to get at the tengu's still form. Her face was a thundercloud, her voice low and tense. Punishment is one thing but this is unforgiveable!

With a few whispered words to Besmara a pulse of light radiates from her, washing over Jirobo and Xanxan. With a gasp their eyes flutter open and she leans back with a small smile, looking at the tengu. You should be more careful where you poke your head from now on little bird.
Channel Positive Energy: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 3) = 9

After the commotion of the punishments, it was almost comical to have Tully and Fishguts circulate with the food. Grok followed after with the evenings ration of rum for the crew.

Remember that if you don't want to drink the rum, it's either a Stealth or Sleight of Hand check, DC 10. Otherwise you're caught getting rid of it and face punishment.

Calvin:
You are addicted to the rum at this point. Please refer to the drug rules about this. Something to keep in mind, either way.

Rum rolls for those that drink:
Callum: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 5 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 2 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Xanxan: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 1 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 2 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Ko'ulu: +1d4 ⇒ 1 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 3 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Calvin: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 1 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 2 Con damage
Jirobo: +1d4 ⇒ 4 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 7 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Tully: +1d4 ⇒ 4 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 5 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 ⇒ 2

Another long day is put behind you all but you're still alive, if only barely.

This is a huge post and there were a LOT of dice rolls for this post. Make sure to read everything carefully. I have added and subtracted as necessary and the Campaign Info tab has been updated. Please look this over as this is where I have your current statuses at the start of Day Two's Night Time section which does not include the latest Rum Rolls. Make sure we're on the same page. Note that Callum was the only one to address the Con damage from the 1st night’s rum. I went back and made sure to account for everyone who drank, which is why you might see a difference in the latest update.

Once you're all set, please post your Day Two Night Ship action or actions. Also include whether you're drinking or not and the appropriate rolls if not.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu finishes the meal and swigs back the ration of rum, the alcohol burning all the way down, and putting a haze around everything.

After a few moments he begins laughing, a booming laugh that cuts through the chatter.

"Tiger, tiger, he be coming to eat you man!", a wild look in his eye as he hops to his feet and stalks over to the four men that jumped them earlier. "The tiger he going to chew you up. He put his marks on you! You were thinking "Me I am sly, I will pet the tiger." Oh you were so surprised when the tiger took your arm. The tiger, he likes how you taste now...You can't hide, the tiger will sniff you, you can't climb, the tiger has claws." Ko'ulu's voice drops to a harsh gutteral whisper as he leans in close to one of the men, fumes of rum pouring off his breath. "You gotta get the tiger before the tiger gets you." He steps back, shoving off the man before winding his way to Jirobo. He places a hand on the back of Jirobo's head and ruffles his feathers backwards so they all stick up.

"Birdy birdy, tiger going to eat you quick, snick snack." then, laughing, Ko'ulu grabs a ratline and makes his way to the crows nest.

Taking 10...no reason to kill Ko'ulu and he isn't in a rush.

Ko'ulu will sleep up in the crows nest for a while, then go down to the crew berthing and crash for the night.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 25/27)
DM Jonasty wrote:


As the crew gathers on deck, the "Bloody Hour" arives. The four men from the morning each move forward and the first moves up to the whipping post in the middle of the ship. Scourge binds the man's hands to the wood and then hoists his shirt above his head, exposing his back. Scourge looks to Plugg who nods his head. If you please Master Scourge. Make a note men, laziness is not tolerated on this ship! Scourge uncoils his whip and proceeds to draw 3 bloody lines across the man's back. Once done, he goes through the other 3 men.

That gives Xanxan SOME cold comfort, knowing he'll get the same makes the comfort cold indeed.

Quote:


After that, Jirobo, Xanxan and another crew member are brought forward to the whipping post. The other man struggles against the men holding him, trying to plead his case. I only allowed a few of the lines to go slack. It wasn't my fault! As they strap him to the post Pulgg calls down from the stern deck. Scourge, give him another three for insubordination! Scource nods and proceeds to whip the man who quickly passes out from the pain.

Xanxan makes note of the crewman in question. Mayhaps we can be flog buddies! I wonder if he'll hold scourge down while I slit the bastard's throat?

Quote:


Xanxan is pulled up next and lashed to the post, his feet straining to maintain contact with the deck. Scourge pulls back his arm and swings it forward, the whip cracking in the dusk air. The second strike goes wide, hitting the post to the jeers of the crew.

The first strike sends pain up his back, an intense experience. Gnomes seek new experiences, and in a sense Xanxan takes this as one.

Just the same, once in a life time was enough.

The second shot misses, and rarely has Xanxan been so grateful to be a small target. Indeed, he kisses the post out of gratitude for taking the hit for him.

The last strike hits true though, and it is all Xanxan can do not to cry out.

Half in a daze, he watches as Jirobo faces his sentence. The gnome barely has the strength to THINK on it, let alone say anything. But he makes a note of every lash the tengu who has been naught but kind to him.

Quote:

After the punishments, Xanxan and Jirobo were dumped unceremoniously to the deck where the rest of you were watching. Xanxan stirred weakly but Jirobo didn't move, his slight chest not rising or falling. You looked amongst each other, none sure of what exactly to do. Sandara suddenly appeared amongst you, shouldering you aside to get at the tengu's still form. Her face was a thundercloud, her voice low and tense. Punishment is one thing but this is unforgiveable!

With a few whispered words to Besmara a pulse of light radiates from her, washing over Jirobo and Xanxan. With a gasp their eyes flutter open and she leans back with a small smile, looking at the tengu. You should be more careful where you poke your head from now on little bird.

"You ..." Xanxan says softly with thanks in his eyes,"Are getting more and more lovely each time we meet, kind lady. A thousand thanks to Besmara who I shall pray to tonight if it be not offensive."

"You okay there, shipmate?" he says to Jirobo low and safe. "Bastards tried to do you in right proper. We'll pay them back for it...some day."

Dinner comes around again, and Xanxan eats heartily. He's weary to the bone despite the healing. He eyes the rum... it would be tempting to drink it. But right now, it represents the authority of the damned captain, his double damned first mate, and the thrice damned whip wielding Master Scourge.

He pretends to drink but doesn't actually.
Fatigue taken into account for his dex.
sleight of hand": 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Night Action: Day 2: Sleep

While he might chat with others for a bit if the talk gets lively during dinner... it's bed for him. Before face hits cot, he'll use prestidigitation on himself to make himself and his clothes as clean as a whistle.

That too is a form of rebellion. Thanks to the lady's healing, he'll be unsoiled and unbloodied in the morrow.

And he prays as he lays down, imagining the stars above as if he could see through the wood. Besmara, I know little of you, and I imagine you care not one whit for me... but twas your priestess what healed me and my mate so you have my thanks. Look out for me and my friends, and I'll see what I can do to make it worth your while. Help me gain revenge and freedom and I'll knock myself out to entertain you while doing so.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin watches as his new friend, Jirobo, is beaten within an inch of his life. He is shocked by the effect the whip has on the poor bird, feeling that bruises and scrapes he received throughout the day punishment enough. When Sandara helps him recover, he is grateful, but still suspicious.

When the rum is brought around Tobias squawks loudly and angrily. Two nights of drinking have resulted in two of the worst days of Calvin's young life. The bird makes quite a scene and Calvin attempts to pour his mug back into the barrel without anyone noticing.

Untrained Stealth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

He succeeds, but his body rebels against his act of rebellion. He begins to get unbelievably sweaty and his tongue grows thick and hairy in his mouth. He tries to fight off the symptoms, unbelieving that he was already craving the toxic brew after only two nights of consuming it.

When should I make my Fort/Con check?

Eager to take his mind off of his symptoms, he approaches a group of sailors gathered around a small table covered in broken, shattered glass. Two men face each other, eyeing one another and gripping each other's hands. After a short struggle, a wiry, dirty sailor - one of the four who attacked them this morning - is victorious. The other sailor, hand covered in broken glass and dripping blood, stands and curses angrily. The wiry one laughs and takes the small pile of coins.

Calvin approaches and says, "I want to play. But I have no money. I think it would be fun to make your hand a bloody mess."

If allowed to play, Calvin will take a seat and stare into his opponent's eyes, hexing him with evil eye (-2 to Strength check).


Calvin:
The man gives you a dirty look, his eyes lingering on Tobias. It's a gold to play, them's the rules fish. But that pigeon you got trailing around you's gotta be worth at least that. You willing to bet 'em? If not then go spit.

If you choose not to gamble then I will assume you won't waste your Hex on him.

Calvin: Regarding the addiction save. You can actually make the save now. You became addicted with your 1st rum drink. (Light weight lol) It's now been 24 hours since then and you have chosen not to drink so you will make the Fort save now. The DC will be 5. If you make it, don't drink again tomorrow (Day 3) night, and make a second save, you'll have kicked it. If you drink at any point between now and then, you'll reset the whole process. For now though, you'll take the -2 Con penalty as you're still dealing with withdrawal symptoms.

You can make the save if you want since we're still waiting on others to post. If they catch up and you haven't rolled, I'll do it for you at that point.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum smiles when the scalywags who had tried to assault the new recruits were punished. He didn't know the next man but shook his head slighly when that man tried to make excuses.

He frowned and almost stepped forwards when Xanxan was given his punishment. Damn them fer fools. What could they be thinkin' tossin the lil' man to work in the bilge? It's them what should be whipped.

He is similarly incensed with the whipping of the tengu. It's ill luck this. Methinks ill luck fer Plugg an' particularly the Scourge.

Sandara wrote:

"Punishment is one thing but this is unforgiveable!"

With a few whispered words to Besmara a pulse of light radiates from her, washing over Jirobo and Xanxan. With a gasp their eyes flutter open and she leans back with a small smile, looking at the tengu. "You should be more careful where you poke your head from now on little bird."

Callum looks admiringly at the Cleric of Besmara. "Good on ye," he said.

Sitting at the dinner table, he smiled at Grok as she poured him his rum ration, licking his lips in mock pleasure at receiving the drink and wafting the odor to his nose. "Aye, 'tis a fine bit o' drink this," he said jokingly with a wink before putting it down, "at least fer those what loves this rotgut."

After grok left, he sighed, looking down at the rum. He could still feel what seemed like a hole the rum had put in his belly the previous night. This rotgut is deadly. This ship must be a-port every week fer pressin more crew whats been killed by this bilgewater.

Throughout the meal, Callum pretended to sip lightly at his rum, wathcing carefully the rest of the crew, new and old, to see whether they all received the same ration and whether they drank it. For himself, making sure he was not being watched before dumping it.

When he was done dinner, although he was tired from the day's work, Callum decided to stay up. I needs to get in better with Grok. My stomach'll die with the rotgut whats in it. Get her te give me less or nothin' or that whats the officers drink I dare say. An' mayhap give them scalywags some more. Can't be tryin' to dump the swill every night. He then went over to Grok to continue the toungue in cheek conversation on "...the wonders of the drink what's doled out on this ship. Now on the last ship I crewed, we weren' so blessed. What thems served us was wine and on the rare occasion what some might be callin' fine whiskey. Can't be sayin' I was enjoyin' that, oh no. It were a fair turn o' luck whats got me on this ship with the fine vintage ye been servin."

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Stealth: 1d20 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 2 - 1 = 20
Influence - Diplomacy 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Fort Save: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Calvin has to swallow down some sick, but he feels much better than he would have if he had consumed the rum.

Calvin looks at Tobias and shakes his head. "That bet's too rich for my blood. Save me a seat in the coming days. When I get promoted from bilgerat to scumbag, I'll be back. And I'll shred your hand."

With that, Calvin turns and heads to his bunk. He's still feeling the effects of the past couple of days, so he settles into his hammock and tries to get some sleep.

Edited Save Roll to reflect -2 Con damage. Upon kicking the habit, will the damage be healed?


Calvin: It's not Con damage, it's a penalty so once the habit is kicked it will be gone.

Callum: You can only attempt to Influence a specific NPC once per day, sorry I didn't clarify. Would you like to change your Night Time action or just switch the attempt to a different NPC?


Male Human Sea Singer 1

"Bloody Hour". *CRACK* Those are Scourge's men. *CRACK* Toadies. Lickspittles. *CRACK* They took a beating this morning, because he told them to. *CRACK* Because he underestimated us. *CRACK* Now, they suffer a lashing for their failure. *CRACK* For his failure. *CRACK* Why do they serve him? *CRACK* Will they continue to serve him? *CRACK* How can all this be necessary? *CRACK* Men obey my father because they respect him. *CRACK* Men are honored to follow him, not forced to. *CRACK* Surely there's a better way than this.

Tully let his eyes slip out of focus. Even so, he could not block out the swish and crack of the whip on flesh. He knew those men meant to do him harm. Still, he winced at each lash.

The gnome? And the Strix, too? They stood together in that brawl. Scourge has found a way to make them suffer for that, I suppose. Who is this man? Ah, another "rigger", like Callum. If it weren't for Fishguts' indulgence, Scourge would have me at the gratings, too. But, why? Oh, Lady, have they killed the Strix? What purpose can that serve?

Sandara Quinn wrote:
Punishment is one thing but this is unforgiveable!

Tully didn't realize until then, that he'd been holding his breath. He exhaled in relief. She thinks as I do. So must the others. Unless they are sycophants of the Captain and Plugg... or Scourge. Tread carefully.

Dinner service was another haze of images. Last night's rum ration had been a bit of a surprise to the uninformed young man. But, it had been so gratifying, that tonight's was eagerly anticipated. He delighted in its soothing fire for a time...

Ko'ulu wrote:
Tiger, tiger, he be coming to eat you man! The tiger he going to chew you up. He put his marks on you! You were thinking "Me I am sly, I will pet the tiger." Oh you were so surprised when the tiger took your arm. The tiger, he likes how you taste now...You can't hide, the tiger will sniff you, you can't climb, the tiger has claws. You gotta get the tiger before the tiger gets you. Birdy birdy, tiger going to eat you quick, snick snack.

Something is wrong. He was so solid this morning. And yesterday, except for after the "Bloody Hour". No... That's not right. It was after the rum...

There were games being played around him. A swab was dancing an ungainly hornpipe near the break of the forecastle. He scanned the deck, catching Sandara's eye, which sent a swirl of warmth through his brain. But, there was Scourge with his eye on him, as well. Across the deck, the unfortunate rigger was making his way gingerly to the gangway. Tully walked over to him.

May I offer you assistance, sir? I have limited faculties, I'm afraid. But, a steady shoulder may mean much at times. I am Tully, or Young Tully, if you prefer. And I am at your service.

Influence Action:
Diplomacy + rum 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19
If my Entertain Action bonus still holds, and he was present for the story, add +2 to the roll, please.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]
DM Jonasty wrote:
Callum: You can only attempt to Influence a specific NPC once per day, sorry I didn't clarify. Would you like to change your Night Time action or just switch the attempt to a different NPC?

DM: Ehhh... Can I just move that conversation etc. to tomorrow's action and just sleep? I'm afk for the rest of the night (doing this on a tablet)


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Bloody Hour...

Jirobo stood with Xanxan and the others marked for punishments that afternoon, the little tengu shaking with barely contained fear. He closes his eyes as the lashings are doled out, cringing with every slap of leather on flesh. When it comes his turn, Jirobo clutches to the post with all his strength, tensing for the coming whip strokes. Mother, I am sorry. You may never see Jirobo alive again. As the first falls on his bare feathered back, a breathless squawk flows form from his beak. Luckily, unconsciousness follows soon after so he doesn't feel the last few lashes.

Jirobo's blood, red as any of the others on the ship, leaks out from the deep slashes running up and down, right and left across his back. Feathers ripped out by the savage beating cover the deck around him with the wind pulling more tufts of them loose. Deep in a haze of red pain, Jirobo feels the deep cold of the ocean reaching up for his essence. Fate, however, had other plans as Sandara steps forward, calling upon her goddess' more forgiving side to pour healing energies into the little tengu and others suffering from the bit of the whip.

Jirobo's eyes flutter open as he gasps in a deep breath, his lungs once again working. The sky and faces come into focus as reaches out to touch Sandara's hand, "Thank you, Sandara lady. The cold one was coming for me if not for your assistance." The tengu rests for a bit before dragging himself up off the deck and stumbling toward evening rations.

Evening

Xanxan wrote:
"You okay there, shipmate?" he says to Jirobo low and safe. "Bastards tried to do you in right proper. We'll pay them back for it...some day."

"I...am still here, though wish I was back home. No worries about bad Scourge and cruel Plugg. I hear a storm coming off a ways, a storm that will wash us all clean. Bad men with anger in heart should fear the storm, its winds blow fiercer than their screams, its waves crash harsher than their rage." The tengu sits down carefully, his back flaring up like a forest aflame as the muscles pull and stretch. Winching, Jirobo mumbles a soft few words, reaching back to rub his hand over his back. The warm, soothing touch of magic flows into his back, quicking the speed at which the wounds scab over and repair the damage to the flesh.

Casting cure light wounds on myself.
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

With food and rum once more in hand, Jirobo eats the food slowly and carefully, making the amount last as long as possible. The rum he tries once more to slip back into the barrel. Afterward, Jirobo drags himself to bed and immediately falls off to sleep, his body allowing no other course of action after being ran to the point of fatigue then beated nearly to death.

Stealth Check for Rum: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Evening Action: Sleep.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 25/27)
Quote:
"I...am still here, though wish I was back home. No worries about bad Scourge and cruel Plugg. I hear a storm coming off a ways, a storm that will wash us all clean. Bad men with anger in heart should fear the storm, its winds blow fiercer than their screams, its waves crash harsher than their rage." The tengu sits down carefully, his back flaring up like a forest aflame as the muscles pull and stretch. Winching, Jirobo mumbles a soft few words, reaching back to rub his hand over his back. The warm, soothing touch of magic flows into his back, quicking the speed at which the wounds scab over and repair the damage to the flesh.

Xanxan's eyes widen at the healing, So handy. I should have become a tengu..wait, not sure that was an option. "Now there's a statement... they should be afraid and you and I'll see to it one day, but for now, you keep them spells in your head. Tis clear they maybe in demand."

A glance Ko'ulu, and another whisper to Jirobo, "I love having that man in a fight by our side, but I'm not sure he and the rum agree. Makes him powerful squirrely...or tigery as the case maybe."


1d5 ⇒ 5


Ko'ulu climbs the swaying ropes, his movements sure even with his drunken state. Some of the other sailors below cheer him on and more than a few start laying wagers on him falling.

Other than that though the night is quiet, people passed out from the rum or just a hard day's work. Some sailors sit up quietly watching the stars pass by, the night clear and cool. A perfect evening in the Shackles.

Tully:
You approach the man who was lashed, a sour looking dwarf with a bulbous ugly nose, who looks at you darkly. After introducing yourself and offering your kind words he looks at you with a snear before spitting on you. Piss off ya' lubber!

You don't really know what to say and are speechless as the dwarf shoots you a most profane gesture before walking away. One of the other sailors nearby gives you a shrug. Narwhal ain't the friendliest sort.

You have "met" a new crew member and discovered that he is Hostile towards the group. His info has been updated in the Campaign Info tab.

Next update coming shortly.


Jirobo: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Xanxan: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Ko'ulu: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Calvin: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Callum: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Tully: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Tully: 1d100 ⇒ 36, high is good


The next day dawns and the sun glares down from a cloudless sky as the ship presses onwards, distant landmasses passing just out of sight. The day is warm and the breeze is strong and another day of work lies ahead.

Day 3

Callum:
Plugg shoots a gaze up the mainmast before looking back at you. You're on lookout today. Up to the crow's nest and keep a weather eye out.

You must climb to the crow's nest, making Climb checks at DC 10. You don't need to worry about doing it accelerated, it isn't a race so no need to try for DC 15 unless you want to. Conversely, you can't take your time either so no Take 10. Roll a bunch as part of your post and unless you screw up bad enough to fall you should be all set. Your daily task then requires a Perception check, DC 10.

Tully:
As you enter the galley, you see Kroop passed out in a corner, the stale stench of rum strong even across the room. Plugg enters behind you, an angry expression on his face. Damned lush! He'll be useless all day like that.

He turns to look at you. Well it's on you then. I think we'll do fish tonight so grab one of the nets and get to catching, cleaning and cooking. Plugg settles himself in the kitchen to supervise and as you haul the nets out of the bin, you realize how easy you've had it the last two days.

Your daily task requires either a Profession (fisherman) or Survival check, DC 10. Additionally as Kroop is completely drunk, you will also have to cook the meal as well, which requires either a Profession (cook) or Intelligence check, DC 10.

Because of the amount of work you have to do, you will take a -4 penalty to both checks you make. Also, if you take any Ship Actions during the day other than Work Dilligently, you will automatically fail all of the job's checks and the Work Dilligently action does not provide the normal +4 bonus (it give no bonus). Damn Kroop and his alcoholism!

Everyone Else:
Scourge is his same pleasant self as always as he assigns your task.

He points to Jirobo, Xanxan, and Ko'ulu. You three, down in the bilges!

Your daily task requires a Strength check, DC 12. Additionally you also need to make a Con check DC 10 to see if you are Fatigued at the end of your shift.

He then looks to Calvin, giving the dodo next to him a disparaging look. Take your pigeon down to the holds and clear out any pests you find. Don't want them getting into the stores.

Your daily task requires either a Stealth, Survival, or Dexterity check, DC 10.

Please post your checks as well as whatever Day Time Ship Action you will take.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 25/27)

Rolls first, then I'll come back and edit in other actions
str check": 1d20 ⇒ 5
con check": 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

The good news is, Xanxan is feeling much better, a full night's sleep , and he's surprisingly clean when he gets the assignment.

The bad news is, he gets the damn bilge again. It's official, the bastard is trying to set me up to die. Fortunately he has help, maybe they can at least triumph where he is likely to fail.

And fail he does, the damn gear being too rigid to move even when he jumps on the damp pump lever, "Sonofadonkey'sbehind!"

Frustrated, he gets an idea, in one of those few moments of respite it seems the dirty job offers, he heads up and looks for that halfling lass he was told about, what was her name? Rosie!

Should he find her, he strikes up a quick conversation, even helping her a bit on her job or at least not getting in the way, "Begging your pardon, I hear you're about gnomed out so I can see why you might worry about me. Name's Xanxan... anywho, the real reason I came to see you lass is because I hear folks say you're the strongest toughest lady on this ship and we both being proper sized, I thought I'd get your advice. Getting a bit desperate at the bilge work. Any advice on how normal sized folks can handle that monster? Maybe I'm applying what I've got wrong."

While he is appealing to her with a form of flattery, and exaggerating the good things he's heard about her muscle and work (he only heard it from one) there is still sincerity here. The damn bilge is apt to kill him and while she can't MAKE him stronger, maybe she's got a grasp of how to make the most of it. If he makes a friend on this ship, so much the better.

Action: Influence, diplomacy and Bluff being the same, guess I'll try diplomacy
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

The day dawns with a crystalline clarity. Ko'ulu pads out of the crew area onto the deck and stops, transfixed for a moment. He stretches his back, his arms above his head as he looks out over the water, the deep blue of the water making a sharp line with the light blue of the sky.

"Tully man, its a good morning to be alive. Look at the watter there. She is perfect. I have an itch to drop a line in the water today and see what I can bring up for the pot." He grins and claps Tully on the back.

"On a sharp day like this, the fish will be drawn to any place to hide. They gotta get outta the sun too, fried fish don't swim very well! So there will be whole schools beneath the ship, just waiting for me to drop a line to them."

Scourge wrote:
You three, down in the bilges!

Ko'ulu looks at Scourge for a moment, to be sure that he is being talked to, then shrugs.

"Ah well. Fish, they will be there another day. I haven't seen the bilges yet anyways. No fish for the pot today Tully. Unless I find scary bilge fish, then I will be sure to bring it to you." Ko'ulu laughs.

Str 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Con 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18

I want to aid another for whoever looks like they are having problems so Str Jirobo, Str Xanxan, hopefully that will help them later with their Con checks too. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 / 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Ko'ulu works diligently and the bilge is quickly cleaned by the three men.

"I am glad I am down here birdy, you and XanXan would have trouble doing this by yourselves. Now we are done, I am going to go see what is in the hold." he finishes simply.

Ko'ulu pauses for a few minutes, looking Jirobo and Xanxan in the eyes, then crawls out of the bilge and into the hold.

Nails, string, nails, string. I need to find some line for fishing...hmmm what else is here?

Perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Action, sneak


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin shakes his head when Xanxan and Jirobo are sent to the bilges. "Whip man, why do you want to kill our crew?" Calvin asks Scourge. "More work for you, if that happens, no?"

Assuming that minor insubordination doesn't change things...Calvin is ecstatic when given his duties. The pests they find will serve as great food for Tobias or even potential candidates for some experimentation.

Perception Check for Potential Experiments: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Calvin finds the work harder than expected, and doesn't have time to pick out any choice specimens for surgery.

Dex Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

And tobias isn't much help either - the bird has little interest in running about the cabin the smashing or catching the vermin so it mostly sleeps while Calvin does all the work. He just barely manages to wipe out all the bugs and rodents.

After his work is complete, he decides to sneak off and attempt to find something of value that he can use to wager at tonight's hand-glassing contest.

Action: Sneak
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 25/27)
Quote:
"I am glad I am down here birdy, you and XanXan would have trouble doing this by yourselves. Now we are done, I am going to go see what is in the hold." he finishes simply.

Xanxan gives a grateful look, "No argument from me, Tiger man. The scourge seems out to kill the two of us for sure. I won't forget how well you fought by our side neither. Let me know if I can do something for you sometime. As for me? I'm gonna get some advice from one closer to me size." he mimes tipping a hat to both and heads off.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]
Mr. Plugg wrote:
"You're on lookout today. Up to the crow's nest and keep a weather eye out."

"Aye, aye Mr. Plugg," Callum replied and began to climb up the rigging. He stops and looks down when he hears of the assignments below. Blasted scalywag! Ye put the lil' man in the bilges whats too big fer 'im again? And throwin the luck down in the bilges too? Well there's three down there at least... Here's te hopin' they can work together te get the job done with nary a whippin'. He then continues up to the crows nest to begin searching the skies and seas.

When he has the chance, Callum goes down to visit grok to... (copied down from before)

Callum wrote:
continue the toungue in cheek conversation on "...the wonders of the drink what's doled out on this ship. Now on the last ship I crewed, we weren' so blessed. What thems served us was wine and on the rare occasion what some might be callin' fine whiskey. Can't be sayin' I was enjoyin' that, oh no. It were a fair turn o' luck whats got me on this ship with the fine vintage ye been servin."

Climb: (looks like with a +6, Callum can't fail the DC by 5 or more and thus won't fall). Here's the rolls:

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Influence-Dimplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

DM:
Did Callum, with his perception roll from last night (20), notice anything on how the rum was doled out and drank? (e.g. anyone not get a full share or got served from a different batch, or sneak dumped it, or obviously dumped it without repercussions, are the toadies getting different rum treatment, etc.)


Male Human Sea Singer 1
Narwhal wrote:
Piss off ya' lubber!
Sailor wrote:
Narwhal ain't the friendliest sort.

Tully supposed any man, or dwarf, had a right to be unpleasant after standing the wrong side of a lashing. He shrugged stoically. He looked back to where Sandara stood talking with the gnome and the strix. Perhaps this is not a night for making friendships. Another day, then...

........

Consciousness was painful. The chime of the bell was painful. Struggling out of his hammock left Tully winded. Dizziness. Queasiness. His heartbeat thudded loudly in his ears. This feels like the first morning. What is the cause? Is it the rum...?

No time for camaraderie, today. I can't face the effort. Hopefully Fishguts will have a relatively easy task for me, this morning.

Master Kroop! Are you alright?! Tully raced over to prostrate form of the ship's cook. His immense bulk made him nearly immobile. But, with a herculean effort, Tully rolled him onto his back. The cloying,sickly sweet-sour stench of rum hovered about him.

Mr. Plugg wrote:
Damned lush! He'll be useless all day like that. Well it's on you then. I think we'll do fish tonight so grab one of the nets and get to catching, cleaning and cooking.

Fish? I've never fished before in my life! Fishguts had already done the fishing by the time I joined him the first day. Iomedae, grant me strength!

With Mr. Plugg watching, Tully had no chance to think. The dwarf got three extra for making excuses. What else is there to do? First, the nets. Fishguts folded them. Where did he stow them? This locker. I've had no measure of good fortune, these last few days. May if find me this day...

Profession (Fisherman) 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (1) - 5 = -4
Intelligence Check 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (13) - 3 = 10

Tully walked to the weather side of the ship and cast his net into the water. He waited. After what he guessed was half of an hour, he began hauling them in. The water dragged on the lines making the net heavier than it had been when he'd drawn it from the locker. Hope sprung within in, dying a gradual death as more and more of the net returned empty.

Perhaps the fish don't swim on the weather side. It was an uneducated guess, but a growing fear had his mind working at fever pitch. He moved to the lee side and cast his nets a second time. An hour passed before he began to haul on the ropes. There was no hope this time. A few pulls was enough to show that the net was again as empty as when he'd drawn it from the locker.

Damn fishing! Damn this net! Damn Fishguts! And damn rum! What business has a ship with rum, when all it does is ruin good men?! His third cast was as fruitless as the others. He knew it would be. It didn't matter. The sun was high in the sky, now. He wouldn't have had time to clean and cook the fish, even if they'd leaped to deck for him.

He raced back to the galley. Mr. Plugg had mercifully found business elsewhere in the ship.

A bad supper meant a lashing, for certain. No supper, though... His mind refused to travel that path. Something. Anything. Potatoes, yes. And peas. The fat from yesterdays pig. A porridge then. It'll have to do. Quickly. In that pot. Stoke the fire. The fat's melted. No time to peel potatoes. Everything in the pot. That will have to do...


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 25/27)
Quote:
Xanxan: Your post is fine, keep in mind that your jobs take upwards of 8-10 hours each day so there is plenty of time for both things to have happened. Also to mention, as Rosie's name is on the NPC list as someone you've met/heard of, you can include a Diplomacy/Sense Motive check in your Influence action to potentially bump your Influence check.

Posting the sense motive roll on Rosie here to help out here since I can no longer edit the original post

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu pauses as Xanxan pushes past, leaving the bilge. He turns and looks at Jirobo.

"Tiger? What is he talking about? Tigers are monsters that come out of the night and take the children and old with fang and claw. They kill for the pleasure of killing, not even to eat. I am no tiger."


Male Human Sea Singer 1
Ko'ulu wrote:

"Tully man, its a good morning to be alive. Look at the watter there. She is perfect. I have an itch to drop a line in the water today and see what I can bring up for the pot." He grins and claps Tully on the back.

"On a sharp day like this, the fish will be drawn to any place to hide. They gotta get outta the sun too, fried fish don't swim very well! So there will be whole schools beneath the ship, just waiting for me to drop a line to them."

Sorry, I didn't see this while composing my post. Just assume Tully's hangover meant he didn't hear a word of this, and only returns a weak smile before struggling off to the galley.


Xanxan:
You finally give up in frustration at your turn at the pump. The tribesman made it look so easy. Sloshing through the muck, you climb back up the ladder for some much needed air, careful to avoid catching the eye of Scourge or Plugg as they monitor the crew. You're probably gonna get lashes for your work, you might as well avoid them for getting caught roaming around.

Catching sight of Rosie you attempt to clean yourself off a bit but the grime of the bilges isn't that easy to remove. After you introduction, she gives you a look before laughing out loud. For f$%+'s sake, next time you plan on making an introduction, you should think about wiping the s@~# off you first. You smell like Asmodeus's arse! Even with that, she doesn't seem too put off by you and does in fact give you some pointers on leveraging your strength to better effect. No actual bonus, just flavor.

As you go to leave she stops you. By the by, I've noticed you and your friends have been getting awfully chummy with 'ol Cut-Throat. If by any chance you could happen to get my fiddle back from her, I'd be much appreciative. I had it with me when they took me and though I've gotten most of my things back, Grok refused to return that to me and I miss it dearly. She looks sheepishly off to the side before muttering. I might have lost my temper a bit but that was no right of her not to let me have it. They were only g%~~+~n names I called her, you'd think an half-orc would have thicker skin. With that she moves off back to work.

You didn't hit the Sense Motive DC to "unlock" the bonus but you also didn't need it this time as you managed to move her from Indifferent to Friendly with your check.

Ko'ulu:
Giving yourself some time to explore was easy enough with the three of you working down in the bilges. Moving up to the main hold, you began poking around looking for anything of interest.

You spot the sleeping form of a large man, much larger than yourself, chained to a post near stairs that lead up to what you would guess is the officer's quarters. It must be that same one that apparently frightened the tengu half-to-death. Avoiding him so as not to alert anyone to your actions, you continue to scan the hold.

You don't find much of interest although you do manage to get your hands on some fishing line and hooks from one of the crates! As you head back towards the bilges, you notice Calvin and his strange bird running around the hold chasing bugs. With a shake of your head you head back downstairs.

Calvin:
The bug hunting goes well enough but Tobias does prove to be a bit of a distraction. Thankfully you're pretty sure you got the job done enough to not have to worry.

Trying to find something a bit more esoteric on board the ship, you happen upon one of the doors on the main deck. Coming out of it is a human woman, one of the officers you haven't really encounterd so far on your voyage. But she isn't what interests you.

As the door swings shut you're able to catch a peak inside and what you see is impressive. It appears to be some sort of arcane lab, set up to allow for various arcane pursuits and studies. You aren't able to see much more inside it and as the door shuts you're able to see the excellent lock built into it. Attempting to open that would take some work.

Callum:
Grok snorts a laugh at your attempt to complement the rum before having a small swig herself. The bilge runoff isn't fit to piss in, much less drink. But it keeps the crew meek which keep the Cap'n happy and that's what matters to me. You're alright Carnvegas, you and yours, not like some of them other swabs the Cap'n's "hired" in the past.

As you go to leave, she stops you. Looking around the area to make sure no one is listening she nods to you. You and your friends come see me later this evening after meal time. Cap'n had me lock your things in my stores but I might be able to get a few of them back to you.

As you head back up to the nest, you can't help but smile at the turn of events with Grok. It seemed the Quinn woman was right, you'd made a fine friend amongst the crew.

Regarding the rum, the officers are not required to drink it although some do anyways. Of the crew, everone has to and some, like yourself, choose to try to avoid it. So far no one has been caught yet, the PC's or the rest of the crew, but you're certain the punishment would be the same.

Also with your latest check, you've made Grok Helpful! Don't do anything to screw that up and you've got another solid ally on the ship.

Tully:
As helpful as Kroop was sober, or what passed for sober with him, he was as equally useless when fully in his cups. Finally getting the net free, you start your day of fishing and cooking.

As you return to the kitchen, nets nearly barren, you wish you had paid more attention to Ko'ulu's suggestions over the last few days. Seeing your non-existent catch, Plugg looks at you angrily. What the hell are we supposed to eat tonight? We fish to help spread out the damn stores! Grab something from the supplies and get to cooking. And tomorrow, after you've helped Kroop, you'll be spending some time in the bilges to remind you of this. With that he leaves you to cook the evening meal.

Your actual task for the day was the fishing, the cooking was just a "bonus" task cause Kroop was too drunk to do it himself. Failure at the fishing task didn't turn into lashes however. You'll be pulling bilge duty tomorrow automatically.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

The morning comes all too swiftly as Jirobo groans and rolls out of his hammock. He stretches, muscles and joints popping audibly as his body is still tense from yesterday. I don't think I like being a pirate, mother. Already the day is looking brighter though as he is able to stumble out on deck with the others without being assaulted by Scourge and Plugg's stooges. When Plugg orders the tengu down into the bilges with Xanxan and Ko'ulu, Jirobo's shoulders slump in resignation. Down in dark hole is not a place for tengu to thrive. Feathers fall out if left too long down there. He follows Xanxan and the tall tribesman down into the bowels of the ship.

Setting foot in the muck of the bilges, Jirobo grimaces as something unpleasant squishes underfoot. "Tengu not made for such dank, smelly places, I fear I will go mad if left in this icky place." He mans the pump, putting all his back into the work as he even lends some of his effort to help Xanxan, who seems to be struggling with the job.

Ko'ulu wrote:
"I am glad I am down here birdy, you and XanXan would have trouble doing this by yourselves. Now we are done, I am going to go see what is in the hold." he finishes simply.

Jirobo nods in agreement with Ko'ulu as he picks his way around the damp bilge room as he speaks louder than normal to hide his unease in the bilges, "More the merrier here I think. Nobody wants to drown alone in this nasty room.

Xanxan wrote:
Xanxan gives a grateful look, "No argument from me, Tiger man. The scourge seems out to kill the two of us for sure. I won't forget how well you fought by our side neither. Let me know if I can do something for you sometime. As for me? I'm gonna get some advice from one closer to me size." he mimes tipping a hat to both and heads off.

"Careful, Xanxan. Don't give Plugg or Scourge chance to give you lashes tonight. They enjoy giving pain." Jirobo warns before taking over for Xanxan to go chat with a certain little halfling lass.

Ko'ulu wrote:
"Tiger? What is he talking about? Tigers are monsters that come out of the night and take the children and old with fang and claw. They kill for the pleasure of killing, not even to eat. I am no tiger."

Jirobo tilts his head at Ko'ulu's description of the tiger, "I'm never seen a tiger before so I wouldn't know. I heard they are big cats, like alley cats back home. Doesn't sound so bad, a little milk, a little fish, they purr for you for a bit." When Ko'ulu wanders off for a bit, muttering about string and nails, Jirobo picks up the pumping for him as well. By the end of the shift, Jirobo's arms feel like a pair of jellyfish gobbled them up and replaced the appendages with their own bodies. The climb out of the pit that evening is a grueling and slow affair.

Day Action: Working Diligently and giving Xanxan all +4 of my bonus.
Strength Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Constitution Check: 1d20 ⇒ 6


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 25/27)
Quote:
"Tengu not made for such dank, smelly places, I fear I will go mad if left in this icky place." He mans the pump, putting all his back into the work as he even lends some of his effort to help Xanxan, who seems to be struggling with the job.

"Much thanks for the help, ye maybe the one keeps me sane, not that sanity's of value in gnomish circles but I prefer to lose it on my own accord. And aye, I prefer it top side myself."

Quote:
"Careful, Xanxan. Don't give Plugg or Scourge chance to give you lashes tonight. They enjoy giving pain." Jirobo warns before taking over for Xanxan to go chat with a certain little halfling lass.

"Ah, slipping by I can do..it's getting that ##$#ing bilge to work that seems to be the hardest part of this ship for me. Probably why Scourge gives it. And look after yourself too, Jirobo. Scourge will make his own chances if he can." and he departs to rosie to return later.

with Rosie:
DM Jonasty wrote:
Catching sight of Rosie you attempt to clean yourself off a bit but the grime of the bilges isn't that easy to remove. After you introduction, she gives you a look before laughing out loud. " For f++!'s sake, next time you plan on making an introduction, you should think about wiping the s@&~ off you first. You smell like Asmodeus's arse!" Even with that, she doesn't seem too put off by you and does in fact give you some pointers on leveraging your strength to better effect. No actual bonus, just flavor.

"Heh," He takes the comment good naturedly. The woman has a point after all, "if old scourge has his way I'll be living down there I think. But you're right and sorry for bringing the fun part of the bilge up on the winds."

he listens intently to her advice, and thanks her.

Quote:
As you go to leave she stops you. By the by, I've noticed you and your friends have been getting awfully chummy with 'ol Cut-Throat. If by any chance you could happen to get my fiddle back from her, I'd be much appreciative. I had it with me when they took me and though I've gotten most of my things back, Grok refused to return that to me and I miss it dearly. She looks sheepishly off to the side before muttering. I might have lost my temper a bit but that was no right of her not to let me have it. They were only g+$!~%n names I called her, you'd think an half-orc would have thicker skin. With that she moves off back to work.

"I don't know her as well as others, but I'll see what I can do."

A nod and he heads back to work himself. He's already feeling bone weary.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

"Birdy? XanXan is not back? Hmm. I think we be done here...I don't think we should stay down here all day with the air as bad as it is." Ko'ulu grins, a flash of white in the gloom. "I saw a man chained in the hold, and I found line for fishing. I am going to fish tonight!"


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]
Grok wrote:
"The bilge runoff isn't fit to piss in, much less drink. But it keeps the crew meek which keep the Cap'n happy and that's what matters to me."

"Aye, we what's meek be easier to task. I reckon there be trouble, though, if'n we get to proper pirating. I don't number the meek in the qualities whats fer fightin' an' lootin'. Savvy?"

Grok wrote:
"You're alright Carnvegas, you and yours, not like some of them other swabs the Cap'n's "hired" in the past. You and your friends come see me later this evening after meal time. Cap'n had me lock your things in my stores but I might be able to get a few of them back to you."

"Oh, aye, the Cap'n's done lucked out what with the hirin o' us. Luck for us though... I'll wait and see," Callum said with a wink. "I'll pass the word te the rest."

One down an' more'n me fingers te go, Callum thought as he went back to his duties. She's a good'un though.

As he sees Xanxan wearily wandering back to the bilges he whispers to him We gots a meetin' with Grok this evenin' on account o' gettin bits o' what's ours back. Pass the word to those what's with us. Us what's fought together, methinks, savvy?


Next update coming shortly.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 25/27)
Callum Carnvegas wrote:


As he sees Xanxan wearily wandering back to the bilges he whispers to him We gots a meetin' with Grok this evenin' on account o' gettin bits o' what's ours back. Pass the word to those what's with us. Us what's fought together, methinks, savvy?

Well, this could be a bit of good fortune "Good work then, shipmate. I meant to ask her a favor anyway. Aye, I'll pass it on if I see any o the others"

And when he gets back to Jirobo (and Ko'ulo) if he sees them at his next turn at the bilges, he passes it on, "We'll be wanting to join Callum this evening as he talks to Grok. Could lead to us getting a bit back of what's ours."


The day passes rather uneventfully all things considered and the dinner hour soon arives. It turns out to be an almost peaceful evening amongst the crew, a few of you (Jirobo and Xanxan) tired from another day of the grind. No one earned any lashes, the worst punsihment being Xanxan and a few others getting chewed out by Plugg for screwing up their jobs. As the gnome returns to the group he sighs a bit. At least I didn't screw up enough to warrant the whip this time. I need to thank that little bird.

Tully passes around the food as Grok follows behind with the rum. As you all take your cups, you notice more now that some of the other crew try to avoid their drinks at time. Others dive in happily, only too quick to get drunk. One of the men is suddenly yanked from behind by Plugg. You think that s!++ is free?! That'll be the post for you tomorrow! Plugg walks off and the man looks dejectedly at the deck at the next day's punishment, made all the more frightening by his current sobriety.

Rum rolls for those that drink:
Callum: +1d4 ⇒ 2 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 3 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Xanxan: +1d4 ⇒ 2 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 5 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 2 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Ko'ulu: +1d4 ⇒ 1 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 6 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 2 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Calvin: +1d4 ⇒ 1 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 2 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage
Jirobo: +1d4 ⇒ 4 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 2 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Tully: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 4 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage

The night wears on but before you all get too settled, Callum motions you to follow him as he descends the steps. Making his way to the stores, Grok opens the cage for him and motions you all in. If anyone asks you bartered this stuff from me, fair and square. All the same, I wouldn't suddenly show up on deck tomorrow armed to the teeth with all your stuff. Store it in your trunks and "reaqiure" pieces of it gradually, a couple a day. Any more and people will get suspicious. If you have need of anything else in my stores in the future, let me know and I'll see if we can work something out.

You all head to the crew quarters where you store your things in your individual trunks, except for a few things right now. The trip certainly has taken a turn for the better.

Grok has returned everyone's starting gear to them. I hadn't mentioned before but everyone has their own hammock and chest down in the crew hold where they can store their items. You aren't bound by anything to follow Grok's advice on item retrieval, she's just trying to look out for herself and to a lesser extent you guys. Theft is punishable by keelhauling remember. You'd be safe with 2 items a day, more and you might draw attention to yourselves.

Xanxan, if you want to try to get Rosie's fiddle you can. It'll be a DC 5 Diplomacy check with Grok. If you make it, post accordingly.

All of the stuff with Grok happens right after dinner. Please post your Day 3 Night Time Ship Actions. Reminder to check the campaign info tab for current statuses to take into account for your nighttime rolls (Day 3's rum rolls not yet included).


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 25/27)

Xanxan takes his bawling out quietly along with the others.

He rejoins the others, "Thanks to you again, Jirobo. You're a good friend."

The drinks are handed out, and while the other fellow gets yanked by Plugg, he gets rid of his own drink. Some of these lads are wising up to the rum game.

sleight of hand... fatigue counted in.
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Quote:
The night wears on but before you all get too settled, Callum motions you to follow him as he descends the steps. Making his way to the stores, Grok opens the cage for him and motions you all in. If anyone asks you bartered this stuff from me, fair and square. All the same, I wouldn't suddenly show up on deck tomorrow armed to the teeth with all your stuff. Store it in your trunks and "reaqiure" pieces of it gradually, a couple a day. Any more and people will get suspicious. If you have need of anything else in my stores in the future, let me know and I'll see if we can work something out.

"Good advice, that."Xanxan says, "And thank ye. I hear you have a fiddle, now I know you have no reason to be handing it over... but it would do me a good turn in the long run and I think make the ship a happier place to hear a little music now and then beside."

diplomacy on Grok to get violin
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Action that night: Influence
He returns to Rosie later that night after making sure he's clean as a whistle (Using spell again if cheating is what it takes). Xanxan smiles, "Sorry for intruding, but I believe you were missing this?" He hands her the fiddle. "I'd dearly love to hear you play it if you've the time?"

diplomacy roll if needed.
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Sense motive to learn more about her
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully held his cup of rum, turning it back and forth in his hand. The physical act mirrored the mental exercise as he turned his desires back and forth in his mind. The appeal of the rum was gone, too much ugliness followed in its wake. But, replacing it was a surprising need for its comforting warmth. Do I lose myself as Ko'ulu does? Could I fall as low as Fishguts?

He had no gift for subterfuge. He had never needed it. Still, he tried to look casual and unobtrusive as he drained his cup in the scuppers.

Pouring out the rum:
Stealth Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

I'll leave room for the trip to Grok's, if/when someone passes the word to me.

Tully noticed an officer, a woman whose acquaintance he'd not yet made. (The woman from Calvin's earlier explorations) None of the ship's officers had been persons Tully cared to know. He hoped that would not prove to be universally true.

Madame, I hope I do not intrude upon your privacy. Unworthy as I am, may I have the pleasure of your company for brief time? Aboard a ship at sea, variety is a desirable quality, if it can be found. Tully bowed as low as he dared with the sway of the ship. My name, Madame, is Tully, your humble servant.

Influence Action:
Diplomacy 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin, feeling quite good considering the circumstances connects the reason for this change to his abstinence from rum the night previous. Eager to continue this trend, he gets Tobias to make another scene and then tries to sneakily pour the rum back into container.

Stealth Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

Successfully doing that, he again feels the effects of his addiction. He fights back the sweats and the vomit.

Con Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Calvin is surprised when Callum includes him in the "gang" of people to visit the quartermaster. He hadn't spoken to him yet - his only real connection being to the Tengu. Nevertheless he follows, out of curiosity more than anything else. When he discovers their destination, a broad smile crosses his face. He has his tools back. The experiments can resume. He stows everything in his trunk and props his spear against the wall. He grabs his one gold piece from among his gear and heads up to the deck.

He makes his way directly to the arm wrestling table. He sees the wiry man sitting at the table talking to some of the other sailors - none of whom he recognizes. Plopping down the gold piece he says, "Last night I dreamed of you. I took your hand and slammed it onto the table. But it wasn't shredded by glass, but by a giant shark. The shark ended up consuming all of you. But it started with your hand. And so will I."

One of the other sailors laughs nervously as he begins scattering several small spiky caltrops on either side of the table. Calvin frowns. "These little things? I had hoped for the broken glass. No matter. These look sufficient."

Evil Eye Hex to cause -2 to Strength check.

Strength Check: 1d20 ⇒ 13

101 to 150 of 1,114 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMJ's Skull & Shackles, Part 1: The Wormwood Mutiny All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.