Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DMJ's Skull & Shackles

Game Master Jonasty1031

Adventure and danger on the high seas! Can you claim your own Pirate destiny in the Shackles?

Current Map


951 to 1,000 of 1,114 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>

Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

"It is good to be on land once more. I love the sea as much as the next man, but we have been out of sight of land too long." Ko'ulu says with a broad grin as he stretches out arms wide, his chain shirt clinking.

Ko'ulu wanders over to where Ricky is talking to his craftsmen, and pushes through the crowd.

"Ricky Squibs, I am going to need weapons. Both for training and for drawing blood. Do you know a good place to get these?" he asks, smiling.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully surveyed the rundown villa and the surrounding hovels with disdain clearly written upon his face.

How... quaint.

Master Hake, is there a merchant within this... village... who outfits ships with the basic supplies required for life at sea? Particularly, we'll need to procure some pickled meats, victualed in a high quality salt, hard biscuit, not too weevily mind you, limes or oranges, dried peas, a passable grog... I'm sure you know the type of things. Access to firewood and fresh water would be a boon, as well. We can set the crew the task of refilling the casks as soon as the novelty of this... port's... debauchery wears off.

In broad strokes, Tully will spend the time selling any loot that we decide not to keep and working to procure the supplies needed for the ship if that is necessary and/or possible. If this is a location in which we can gain Infamy, he will also spend two days boasting of the battle with the Reefclaws, and the original capture (not the mutiny!) of the Man's Promise. He will also spend free time in the tavern or inn, introduce himself to any likely looking candidate for service aboard the Black Queen's Mercy, and try to gather information about the village, the area, and The Shackles.

Dice Rolls:
Perform (oratory) - Boasting of the battle with the Reefclaws: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
Perform (oratory) - Boasting of the capture of the Man's Promise: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30

Diplomacy - Meeting the Locals: Versatile Performance (oratory):
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

Gathering Information - Versatile Performance (oratory):
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

... and if there's any time left over, he'll flirt with Sandara! ;)


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
Quote:
"It is good to be on land once more. I love the sea as much as the next man, but we have been out of sight of land too long." Ko'ulu says with a broad grin as he stretches out arms wide, his chain shirt clinking.

"Ah, given our change in fortune, I can't wait to get my feet back on the Black Queen's Mercy meself, but walking on solid land might do us some good."

Xanxan glances over to the crew, "Might be wise to take a friend along while ye take it easy, this place maybe safe, but ye never know when trouble might arise. Good to have a crewman at your side in case of fight or worse. If ye need help, come looking for me and I'll see what I can do. Meself? I'm going to go see if I can find some able bodied sailors willing to join a fine new ship all fresh and minty. Oh," He pulls out the hand he's been preserving, "And maybe someone who can dip this in bronze, copper or brass so I can keep it around as a lesson to any who use the scourge on innocent hard working pirates." He winks.

Using Diplomacy for Gather information to find someone who can help preserve a skeletal hand and to search for pirates who might sign up.
Diplomacy Roll: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


At Tully's and Ko'ulu's questions, Rickety gives a shrug. What we've got is all we've got I'm afraid when it comes to weapons and the like. Provisions on the other hand you'll find aplenty, being this close to the jungle's abundance. Check inside with Chandra, she's our steward of sorts, she'll help get you settled and let you know what provisions we've got.

He gives a laugh and a wave of his hand. As far as water, the estuary is right over there and as you can see there are trees in abudance, you and your crew are free to help yourselves.

Tully and Xanxan, I'll address the mechanics and rolls you made once a few more folks have chimed in. What you're looking to do is days of activity potentially so I just want to make sure I know what everyone else is planning on doing.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

"Ko'ulu, mayhap we can hold on te the weapons from the spoils te use fer trainin' an' bleedin' an' such."

"Lads, I'll stick with the ship fer a bit, check the charts fer potential destinations an' the like. Ye seem te have the idea on whats we be needin, be it supplies, or be it new crew whats te take the place o' Tate, an' te fill up the other tasks te bring us up te full strength."

General plan for Callum is to stay with and watch over the ship. See the work they are doing and maybe learn a thing or two. Also check out the charts and whatnot, to refresh his memory on shipping routes, places to raid, and/or places to hole up.


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Tylos is planning on scouring the place for components necessary for the creation of magical goods and gear.

There aren't any specific components he is looking for but he needs to begin stocking his lab.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo tugs on Rickety's sleeve to catch his attention, "Mr. Hake, might there be some writing paper and ink to be bought in your fine establishment? And does any corrospondence betwixt yourself and Port Peril happen with regularity that I might have a letter delivered?"

If the verdict is yes to both counts, Jirobo spends the first day writing a letter home to his parents telling them that he is fine and that he misses them. If the letter can't be delivered, Jirobo will still write it and keep it in case they head closer to Port Peril or a place that can deliver the letter.

Afterward, the tengu will follow Xanxan around for his recruiting drive.


Good enough for me everyone. I'll have update soon.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu mulls over Callum's words for a few moments.

"I don't think that we have enough...and they are the wrong sort. I want to get short blades and crossbows. Both are easy to train and use. And the short blades are good for using underwater because you stab with them, not just slashing, like the cutlasses that stupid pirates like."

"Small wooden shields would be good too. Cheap, so they can be dropped overboard or lost, and nobody will be crying."


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

"Cutlasses have their use when on deck or on land, but ye be correct that short blades be somethin' like a practical necessity fer fightin' in water. Let's check with the crew to see the weapons what they do have, te help te focus on weapons what they may need."

Question: Does the crew have their own weapons/armor/shield? If yes, what are they?


Male Human Sea Singer 1

There are 6 spears, 2 daggers, 1 light crossbow, and 2 leather armor in the loot. These are all simple weapons that anyone can use, and good in the water, as well. The total cost for all of these is 35.5 gp. That's basically <6 gp apiece. Tully would pay that to begin outfitting the armory.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

I guess a good inventory of what all the other pirates have is in order. Should I assume that all the named pirates have proper equipment and we only need to worry about new crew?


Day 1

The crew of the 'Mercy settles into the provided rooms of the Commons and you all quickly determine that your first impressions were right. The rooms are decent enough compared to the cramped confines of a ship but they certainly aren't well maintained, some still bearing the original linens of the previous occupants. Still there are more than enough for all of you and it's nice to have some space.

Having settled in, Tully and Xanxan go about making themselves known around town. Tully spends the day enjoying drinks with off-duty workers regaling them with the tales of their exploits against a viscious horde of reefclaws. Pretty soon all of you have heard your own exploits discussed around town, most of them sounding way more eventful than you remember. Xanxan tries to use this new found fame to woo new faces to the crew but sadly his words aren't convincing enough and no one elects to join the Mercy's roles despite his efforts throughout the day.

Tylos, Jirobo, and Ko'ulu spend most of their time in the market, although that term is being generous. Still they have everything a ship would need, if not necessarily everything you all might want. By the end of the day you're able to determine exactly what is available to you for the right coin.

Callum takes some time gathering the various charts and log books from the captain's cabin and brings them to his room at the Commons for review and study. Heading back to the ship, he then spends much of his day reading over a log book while observing and learning from the men as they swarm over the ship at work. He jots down notes and figures as he watches, keen on picking up whatever knowledge he can about the process of fitting out a ship.

By the end of the day you're all baked by the oppressive heat of the day and the dinner goes by without much talk as you quickly head off to your beds. Sleep finds you shortly thereafter. Waking the next morning, you hear people eating downstairs and distantly the sound of work already recommencing on squibbing the ship.

Tully's Infamy check via the reefclaw story was successful and gained you 1 point of Infamy/Disrepute from today (total of 3 now). Also note Tully that your capture of the Promise was already auto-given to you via the 2 points of Infamy you already had. So if you want to attempt to earn anymore while in Rickety squibs, you'll need to come up with a different inspiring story.

Xanxan was not able to recruit new crew. Forgot to include this in the Campaign tab so I've updated it there and posted it here for now. Recruiting new members to the crew while in port takes 1 day of activity along with a Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate check, DC 20 regardless. Success recruits 1d4+2 new recruits to the ship.

Regarding the crew. The "typical" crew member has a cutlass and dagger. None of them wear armor. Certain members of the crew do have specific gear, namely Rosie, Sandara and Fishguts, I believe. I left the first AP book at home so I'll need to reference that later for you all. As far as outfitting the crew, they will all happily learn or use whatever weapons/armor you assign them but most of them will balk at having to wear any kind of armor, both for the penalty to swimming it entails as well as the overall heat of the Shackles. Of course you can order them to but that's their initial reaction. Except for Rosie, Sandara and Fishguts, all of the current crew and any new "generic" crew you recruit will use the Shipmate NPC stat block from the Gamemastery guide minus the default gear (pfsrd link). I've put this link in the Campaign Tab for reference.

After a day, Tylos, Jirobo and Ko'ulu have gotten a pretty good lay of the "market's" availability.

  • All mundane goods/services from the Core book.
  • Most non-MW weapons and armor from the Core book.
  • MW Handaxe
  • 2 MW Cutlass
  • MW Breastplate
  • +1 leather armor
  • +1 silver guisarme
  • circlet of persuasion
  • wand of cure light wounds (29 charges)
  • [i]+2 light wooden shield
  • potion of fox's cunning
  • 400gp worth of stuff for item crafting or "costly" spell components (nothing specific listed, if you need diamond dust for a spell or generic crafting materials for making a magic item, etc)

Alrighty, post any responses you'd like or RP I might have missed. Otherwise, let me know what the general plan is for each of you on Day 2 in Rickety's Squibs and I'll update from there.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Unfortunately, I can't think of any other heroic adventures to brag about, right now. I don't think anyone would be terribly impressed with the humdrum tortures we suffered on the Wormwood.

Morning, lads! Tully cheerfully greeted some laborers taking a break near the Commons. Work on our fair ship seems to be moving along. Seems we'll be putting to sea as soon, or sooner, than Master Hake promised! Quite the exciting, and lucrative, prospect! Enjoy the rest of today's labors, my friends! My crew must be enjoying their luxuries and ease elsewhere...

Sorry, thought we were doing the whole week at once. Let me know if you need new rolls from Tully.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Does the 2 points of Infamy/Disrepute you gave us for the capture of the Promise include the +1 trait bonus from my Buccaneer's Blood trait?

Gear-wise, I have a suit of wooden armor (basically studded leather that doesn't have an ACP for swimming) that's not doing anything. We can sell it or put it in with the armory.

Callum pours over his charts and books again over breakfast before heading over to continue with his observations on the squibbing of their ship.

Basically more of the same today.


Tully, the only rolls you need to make are if you want to try another Infamy check or if you want to take a shot at recruiting some crew. Otherwise you've now met the residents of the town and they all seem to like you for the most part. And just FYI, while your time on the Wormwood didn't lend to too many stories, you did manage to survive a rather monstrous storm on your trip. In case you were looking for inspiration. ;-)

Callum, I did not remember your trait, thanks for the catch. You're at 4/4 respectively.


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Boo on no scrolls for sale. lol Tylos will definitely pick up the crafting stuff at least.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Any one who can help Xanxan preserve the hand?

Xanxan looks discouraged, "Frankly, I'm a wee bit hurt. No luck for Jirobo and I in convincing anyone in joining our crew. I'll give it another go later today.Less you folks need me to tend to something else?"


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully gave the men at the dockside a sly look. Of course, if any of you gentlemen had given thought to a life at sea, with doubloons to spare, then perhaps I could be convinced to find you berths aboard our fine ship...

Recruiting - Versatile Performance (oratory): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28


Xanxan, try as you might no one seems able, or possibly just not willing, to help in your grisly task. Perhaps you'll have better luck in a more populace port. There's nothing to stop you from trying on your own but no one steps forward to help.

Not all of them bite but a few of the men look at Tully's words with a grin and nod amongst themselves. Alright, then we'll sail wit' ya. With a smile, Tully gathers the men's signatures on the charter and gives them the general info about their newfound roles and responsibilities.

Tully recruited 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 new crew members to The Black Queen's Mercy!


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xanxan sighs when he thinks how no one is willing to help him keep a deadman's hand looking pretty. But then he watches Tully, and chuckles, "And I thought I had a silver tongue."

Xanxan dines on breakfast heartily, then smiles, "Well, I shan't give up." With that, he finishes his meal, and goes out and looks about again. Instead of near the docks, he oddly goes looking for women; whores who are tired of their craft, pirate widows who learned a trick or two from their exhusbands, ex slaves who are finally free, or daughters of sailors now old enough to take up their father's trade if only they'll be given a chance.

While lechery and the gnome are not strangers, it is another reason that comes to his mind. He remember Areta who tired of whoredom herself, and Rosie, who wanted space from his fellow gnome.

"Pardon a gnome for intruding, but have any of ye knowledge of sailing or siege and an interest in a ship where you take lovers of your choosing or not at all, where ye have as much chance as any man to earn your share of the crew's cut? If ye have the will but not the training, I might still consider taking ye on to the Black Queen's Mercy. Tis a fine crew, and bold leaders... made their way through storm and cruelty both. Ain't no better place to start a new life full of risk and reward."

Hope Charmer works here to grant best of two rolls.
Diplomacy #1 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Diplomacy #2 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Through a cloud of perfum and giggles, Xanxan manages to lure a few of the more adventurous lasses away from the oldest profession and into a life of piracy. Making their marks in lipstick, the gnome can't help but grin to himself at the wonderful job he's done.

Crew recruited: 1d4 ⇒ 3.
A note on the recruitment stuff. You can get a max of 2 successful recruitment checks per port visit, with the second one not receiving the +2 mod, and then you have to leave and come back at a later time to "reset the attempts". Basically the whole town isn't going to ship off with you just cause you roll really well. Until you get the two checks off, you can keep trying as long as you want but once you hit the two, that's it for the town for that visit.


As the day progresses, the heat keeps ratcheting up until by midday none of you feels like even moving. Most of those not working on the ship are lounging in the shade trying to keep cool. A couple of the off-duty workers approach Tully and Xanxan as they're in the middle of their recruiting discussions.

Hey, don't know if you and your friends are interested but some of us are planning on playing a little game of ninepins over by the boathouse. Its got some excellent shade and we've got a cask of beer cooling in the water. Should help alleviate some of this heat, for truth. You down?


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xamxam glances over at Tully, "Not sure, lots to do if I can just find the energy to do it, no offense lads. What do you say, Tully?" While he waits for Tully's answer, he gives the gents the once over. He's been crimped before, and has no intention of being enslaved or even robbed.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully drew a handkerchief, and mopped a pool sweat from his brow.

I won't deny, the promise of shade and cool drink is a tempting one... My friend here is right, though. There is much that needs doing. Only... I can barely drive myself to my labors, much less the men.

I think you're probably right, that it's a setup. I'm willing to walk in, eyes wide shut, if you'd like to, though. =)

Sense Motive - Versatile Performance (oratory): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14


Tully: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Xanxan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Townsfolk: 1d20 ⇒ 4

The man nods to Xanxan tersely before giving Tully a look. No need to lie, if you ain't interested just say so. With that he moves off towards the boathouse, although you both get the impression that he had been genuine in his request.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

"Apologies to ye then," the gnome says, feeling a bit bad now, "May ye have a good time."


Male Human Sea Singer 1
DM Jonasty wrote:
The man nods to Xanxan tersely before giving Tully a look. No need to lie, if you ain't interested just say so. With that he moves off towards the boathouse, although you both get the impression that he had been genuine in his request.

Tully watched the man as he turned to walk off. The guilt of his refusal tugged at him.

A moment friend... That was quite ungracious of us. You offer us hospitality, recreation, and refreshment, and we have thrown it back at you with distrust and poor excuses.

Tully shook his head in disgust. Merely a few weeks ago, I would have been properly ashamed of myself for such behavior. Please, accept my apologies. And if your offer still stands, know that I would most humbly accept. I would not have it said that a sailor of the Black Queen's Mercy ever backs down from a challenge! Even one as simple as a game of nine-pins!

Diplomacy - Versatile Performance (oratory): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo spends the day buying some paper and ink, then penning a long, multiple page letter to his parents back in Port Peril. He writes of what happened to him that night he vanished, the weeks at sea, the taking of another ship, the mutiny, and his continued well-being aboard the newly christened Black Queen's Mercy.


The worker gives a grin and a shrug. No hard feelings, heat gets to everyone when it's baking like this. Swing on by in 5, we'll get things going.

Tully/Xanxan, let me know if you're gonna play. Are you gonna invite anyone else? Once I've got some info, I'll update us from there.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully will play and will flag down any crewmate he see to join them.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Since Tully is going, Xanxan will go along and play to make amends...and to keep a protective eye on Tully. He'd invite Jirobo to watch or join them.
Not sure I remember how to play Ninepens though


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

After wandering through the market, Koulu makes his way down to the edge of the inlet where the ship is docked. He pushes his way through reeds and brush until his feet begin to squish in the brackish water. After a few minutes of wandering through the green vegetation, plants towering around and above him, he finds a few reeds that look to be about the same length and cuts them then spends a few minutes binding them together into a strong fishing pole.

Then Ko'ulu wanders down the inlet, looking for a likely place to fish and keeping an eye on the activity on the ship.

I lost one boat, I am not going to lose another so easily...

Finally finding a sandy shallow spot where he can stand and cast, Ko'ulu pulls his line and hooks out of his pack, baits it with a bit of old fish then settles into the easy rythmn of casting and winding in his line.


Tully and Xanxan move off with the worker and come to the boathouse to find half-a-dozen workers setting up a game of ninepins in the shade of the large building. They give friendly nods and smiles to you as they continue setting it up. Looking over, you see two of the workers hauling on a rope that hangs down into the river below. The shoreline is cracked and dried but the river is still deep enough to allow for a nice cooling of the keg of beer being hauled up.

With a sudden yell, the man working at the rope is suddenly jerked off his feet into the water by a sudden tug on the rope and the woman who was holding it jumps back with a curse as a line of blood rips across her palms from rope burn. The water churns where the man went in and you can hear a scream bubble up from the surface.

Init:
Callum: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Tylos: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Ko'ulu: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Tully: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Xanxan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Jirobo: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Callum: 1d100 ⇒ 94
Ko'ulu: 1d100 ⇒ 61

Stealing a trick from someone else, posting the current map link up above in the description so it's always easy to find at the top of the page. Going forward I will just note in a post that the link is updated as necessary. As far as the map itself, blue is water ~20ft deep, green is grassy land, light brown is simply where the riverbank has become dried and cracked. Also from the edge of the brown strip to the surface of the water is actually a 5 foot drop, the water isn't flush with the riverbank.

Tully and Xanxan, post your Round 1 actions as appropriate. Ko'ulu and Callum, you were both able to hear the inital commotion and will show up on the map for Round 2, you're not close enough to be there for Round 1. Jirobo/Tylos, you're far enough away that there's the real possibility that you won't be involved in this combat, or at least certainly not right away. I will keep track and let you know if that changes.

Tully/Xanxan, you're up.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum jumps to his feet, the logbook he was reading falling to the ground as he runs towards the boathouse where he had heard the scream.

Fluff to get Callum where he needs to be for next round.


Sounds good.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully's hand went immediately to his belt, grasping for his rapier hilt, but coming back empty. He glanced back in the direction of the Mercy where his rapier and buckler lay peacefully in his cabin, and his dagger, still embedded in the mainmast. Reaching around to the small of his back, he drew the handaxe he had only brought for bundling firewood when the heat abated.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Tully raced to the shore, protectively edging the injured woman back.

Tully will move to the shore, in front of the east "W", and draw his handaxe as part of the move action. He will ready an attack as his standard action, if he can see the enemy and it moves into his threatened area.

Also, due to the oppressive heat and the friendly circumstances, Tully is without his armor or buckler, so he is currently AC 14, T 14, FF 10.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
Quote:
With a sudden yell, the man working at the rope is suddenly jerked off his feet into the water by a sudden tug on the rope and the woman who was holding it jumps back with a curse as a line of blood rips across her palms from rope burn. The water churns where the man went in and you can hear a scream bubble up from the surface.

"And I thought the rum on the wormy was dangerous..." Xanxan follows behind Tully not getting quite as far as his stride is, for obvious reasons, shorter...

plus, he plans to use a gnomish ability to hopeful effect.

As he concentrates, a faintly glowing, vaguely humanoid shape hovers right over the surface, merely an inch. "Let's see if it nibbles that, might give us a look see."

Move and Dancing Light effect.


The workers scatter around you, clearly too fearful to try to tackle whatever lies beneath the surface but trying to position themselves so that they can try to haul up the wounded man should he make it to shore.

Tully moves up towards the water, interposing himself between it and the woman. Looking into it, he isn't able to see much but he can certainly make out the worker who seems to be struggling weakly at the surface along with some kind of shape about 5 feet below the surface. He's unable to think of what might be lurking below the surface despite his best efforts.

Callum and Ko'ulu come running into view at the sound of the disturbance to see a group of flickering lights dance across the surface of the water as Xanxan attempts to lure the creature into attacking them. His face is a mix of surprise and pain as three bolts of force, easily recognizable to any adventurer as a casting of magic missle, come shooting out of the water to slam into his chest nearly rocketing him off his feet.

Magic Missle damage on Xanxan: 3d4 + 3 ⇒ (4, 2, 4) + 3 = 13.

Map updated, Callum and Ko'ulu will start Round 2 in the indicated spots.

Init: PC's, the baddie, workers.
PC's have boss init so post your Round 2 actions as appropriate.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Seeing the magic missiles fly out of the water, Callum rushes towards the riverbank. Expecting the possibility of underwater action, he draws his boarding axe on the way.

Double move 60 ft directly NE to the green corner diagonally SW from the underwater worker.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

"Great Cornmuffins of the gods!" Xanxan cries out in pain and realizing he can't dodge such things, he moves closer to the shore, draws his rapier, and dives in.

if needed, Swimming: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Damn forums ate my post again. Needless to say, Xanxan you only need a move action to get into melee so you could take an attack this turn if you wanted.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Ok Thanks. I'll assume the swim check above doesn't need repeated then :)
Xanxan dives in smoothly and uses the speed gained from it to close. He thrusts with his rapier.

To hit: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Dmg if that hits: 1d4 ⇒ 1


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Tylos hears the far off screams and looks up from his book....before looking back down to his book muttering to himself Eh...it's probably nothing...


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu tosses the pole aside and runs toward the commotion. As he runs, he glances to the side, watching the water for any further disturbances.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully struggled to see the assailant through the agitated surface of the estuary, when three magical bolts burst through the surface, pummeling Xanxan. Not waiting for the second round of bolts to come flying out, Xanxan plunged like a harpoon for the unseen creature. Tully weighed the hatchet in his hand for half a heartbeat, then dove in after the gnome.

It looks like the "W" in the water will block this possibility, but otherwise, Tully will try to set up flanking with Xan.

Swim Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Attack: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 7 - 2 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


The creature thrashes around at the two of you, biting at Tully while it lashes a tail out at Xanxan.

Bite vs Tully: 1d20 ⇒ 10, Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11, Tully Fort save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10, Con damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Tail slap vs Xanxan: 1d20 ⇒ 7, Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

Summation:
Tully: Hit for 11, and 2 Con damage.
Xanxan: Missed.

Round update coming next.


Tully and Xanxan bravely plunged into the water, allowing the injured worker to claw his way up to shore. However they weren't able to connect their blows against the creature. Seething in fury at their attacks, it lashed out at them striking them deeply. As the fight starts to churn the water and break the surface, you all are able to get a clear look at the creature in the river.

What you're fighting

Knowledge: dungeoneering DC 16:
You recognize this to be a naga, one of the water variety to be specific. They are potent spellcasters and their bites carry a deadly poison. They don't have any particular weaknesses or strengths other than their natural abilities.

You are able to tell that this specific water naga is clearly an adolescent specimen, as the typical adult naga would be Large sized. (Aka Young template)

Round 3 Status:
Young Tully: HP 13/24(17/28 normally), AC 18 (2 Con damage)
Ko'ulu: HP 23/23, AC 17
Xanxan Gimblewabe: HP 19/32, AC 17
Callum Carnvegas: HP 37/37, AC 17
Creature: HP 60/60, AC 20

Map link updated. Gave some leeway with movement, Tully and Xanxan are in flanking already. Xanxan would have hit last turn with the flanking but his attack went before Tully got into the flanking position.

Reminder on water combat. If you want to move, Swim check DC 15 to move 1/4 speed as move action or 1/2 speed as full round action. For fighting, Bludgeoning/Slashing weapons are -2 to attack and half damage, Piercing receive no penalty. Attacks from land into water give water people improved cover(+8 to AC, +4 to Ref) vs the attacker.

Alright, PC's are up. Post your Round 3 actions.


Dropping in another post to make sure the others don't get erased. :-P


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

"Get this man te safety!" Callum cries out to the other workers. "Ko'ulu! It's there, between the boys, lessee if we too can flank the scaly thing." He then moves along the riverbank, drawing a dagger with his other hand before jumping into the water beside Tully.

Move action to activate Freebooter's Bane. Since it seems the fight is now closer to the surface, everyone should be affected (able to see/hear Callum). If so: everyone get a +1 to hit and damage against it.
Move action to jump into the water at the corner by Tully, to hopefully allow for Ko'ulu to get into position on the opposite side.

951 to 1,000 of 1,114 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMJ's Skull & Shackles, Part 1: The Wormwood Mutiny All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.