Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DMJ's Skull & Shackles

Game Master Jonasty1031

Adventure and danger on the high seas! Can you claim your own Pirate destiny in the Shackles?

Current Map


51 to 100 of 1,114 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Jirobo:
You spend your day working hard, harder than you ever had to at the lighthouse. Xanxan's tune and advice help you through the worst of it and you feel a sense of accomplishment creep over you as the work continues on.


Calvin:
The bilges are disgusting, hot and as close to hell as you're likely to see on this ship, at least so far as you know. The stench is overpowering and at times you almost lose your lunch but still you work knowing what awaits you if you don't.

Sometime after midday, you steal a few minutes for yourself to explore the hold of the ship. A tear rolls down your cheek as you spot Tobias, sitting dejectedly in a cage at the far end of the hold. There are also a number of pigs as well, some in cages and some loose amongst the hold, wandering aimlessly.

Moving quickly, you release the catch on the cage and your bird comes waddling out, happy to see you. Your reunion is brief though as you know you have to return to the bilges before someone spots you. Still, you return to work and it feels as if a weight had been lifted.

You've found Tobias, huzzah! The PC's will be given "quarters" at the end of this first day. You can choose to have him hang out there from day to day or accompany you. There will be a little fluff at the end of this first day to cover you releasing a bird from the hold but for the most part you'll be all set.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]
Mr. Plugg wrote:
"You're to be monitoring and trimming the mainsail. You keep those ropes taught and raise and lower the sail as needed."

"Aye, Mr. Plugg."

Callum looked up at the mainsail and how her ropes had been set up to make sure he adjusts the correct ones when it was called for. He then hopped up onto the mainsail's rigging and prepared himself. He did as he was ordered, raising or lowering the mainsail, or triming it as needed to keep it taut and catching the wind. He caught himself a couple of times just about to argue against one of the orders... Who's driving this tub? If they jes held off a couple more minutes there, or brought the mainsail over earlier, we'd be flyin' a right clip rather than wallowing around like a dying whale, but kept his mouth shut.

OOC:
With Callum's two Driver Feats and his Hurricane Savvy Trait, I figue Callum has a bit of the upper hand when knowing the appropriate times to change the mainsail (and other things). If it turns out the captain (or whoever is driving the ship has something similar or better, Callum may be less annoyed or even impressed if their orders would have improved on what Callum would have done.

The constant raising, lowering, adjusting and readjusting the mainsail was exhausting, particularly after the beating he had received from 'Master' Scourge earlier in the day. Callum was wondering if they were causing him to make the adjustments, more often than he thought was necessary, as an extra form of punishment. Well, at least I'll pro'ly get a good night's rest

When time permitted for him to catch his breath, he looked around at the crew from his vantage point, looking for his hat. If none o' these blaggards stole me hat then they may have left it on the floor of the inn. I suppose that corsair lass could keep it as a souvenir. Maybe I'll go to the quartermaster if they give me a bit o' time to meself and see if he's got some hats in stock.

OOC:
If Callum spots his hat, he'll take note of who has it so he can have a chat with them later. If he doesn't, and he is given some time away from the mainsail, he'll go visit the quartermaster. He may not have cash now, but if there's a decent enough hat down there, he can save up whatever wages/share he gets to buy it later. Not to mention the fact that the quartermaster is the heart of the ship and Callum would want to get to know him, to get on his good side.

Profession(sailor) check for the job: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Constitution check for the intensity: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Perception for the hat: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Jirobo:

Quote:
Jirobo tries to keep up as best he can, working his body as hard as he ever has tried, "Ropes just like string I used to play with. Round and round go the little strands, yonder and over again and again." He begins to hum along to the song that Xanxan sings, not really knowing the words himself but picking up on the underlying melody soon enough.

"See! You're already better than most lubbers would be at this," Xanxan grinned during their work. "Don't let the abuse we've faced from our less than hospitable hosts sour you on the sailor's life. There's much to praise it. The ocean is eternal, but the sea is fickle and passionate.. enough so that even a gnome might never be bored with her."


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Perfect. I won't be below decks. I can keep a weather eye out, and maybe drop a line in the water.

Ko'ulu notes which way Tully heads as he goes to the galley.

"Holystones, aye bossman.", Ko'ulu nods his head looks around the deck. What are holystones? Are they blessed rocks? Seeing a couple other sailors take stones the size of a breadloaf out of a small locker. They kneel down and begin sanding down the deck with the stones, smoothing it out and polishing the deck to a high sheen. Ko'ulu shrugs, grabs a stone, closes and latches the locker before joining in with the other sailors under the merciless glare of the sun. There is little talking, and the sound of grinding fills the air as the sailors slowly creep across the deck.

Reading the text of the endurance feat, it seems like it would be a good fit for doing this long fatiguing sort of work...and a fort save.

Str 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Fort and Endurance 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

I don't see any lines in the water...hmmmm I maybe talk to the cook about this?

The moment the other sailors pause for water in their scrubbing Ko'ulu makes a beeline for the galley. He ducks his head in the door and calls out.

"Boss cook, Tully? I want to throw a line in the water, see if I can get some fish for your cooking. Do you have any scrap I can bait with boss?"


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully had found sanity at last, in the galley of all places. Unfortunately, with the time and peace required for thought, came the realization and recognition of the depths of his peril. He was all alone, trapped on a ship, in the middle of the ocean, and under the power vicious and deadly men. He needed a plan.

Whatever course I might set, I'll need allies.

The conversation in the galley had been running unimpeded for quite some time. Tully was somewhat surprised at Fishguts' gift for loquacity. He was also dismayed to discover that the pickled old-salt wasn't quite as easy to charm as Tully had initially hoped. Nevertheless, Tully had quickly concluded that the cook was a decent man, and would be a good friend to have among the crew.

Ko'ulu wrote:
"Boss cook, Tully? I want to throw a line in the water, see if I can get some fish for your cooking. Do you have any scrap I can bait with boss?"

Tully smiled. Another decent fellow, I should think. And pressed just as I was. Introductions, then.

Ah, Mister Ko'ulu. Won't you join us? May I have the honor to present, Master Ambrose Kroop, ship's cook. Master Kroop, this is a new acquaintance of mine, Mister Ko'ulu, a fine sailor, and if form should hold, a very successful fisherman.

Well begun, I suppose. I'll have to place myself in the way of more of the crew. Perhaps Callum? He seems more at ease amongst these cutthroats than I might like. Then again, he's suffered more at their hands than the rest of us. Certainly there may be others as well.

Scrap for bait, you say? Perhaps this offal would be sufficient? I hardly count myself knowledgeable in the gastronomy of humans, much less fish.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Upon finding Tobias, Calvin openly wept. His familiar - his friend - was fine and only slightly ruffled by his captivity. Tobias, small for his breed, scurried to Calvin's shoulder when picked up and nuzzled into his neck.

Calvin, incredibly pleased with himself, went back to his work, and shared the story of the morning with Tobias.

When the day is done, Calvin will come out with Tobias in his customary place on his shoulder, completely oblivious to the fact that the liberation of his friend was a major violation of the ship's "rules."


Ko'ulu Diplomacy on Influence for Fishguts: 1d20 ⇒ 11 (doesn't include possible good writing modifiers I will add after)

Callum Diplomacy on Influence for quartermaster: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Callum, you could have used Bluff or Intimidate as well. While your modifier for Intimidate is much higher, I didn't know if that would be the route you would want to take so I played it safe and went with Diplomacy this time.

Next update coming shortly.


Callum(during the day with regards to the quartermaster check:
With sail set and the wind holding steady, Callum stretches his back and begins to make some inquiries about where he might find his hat or a new one to replace it. One of the crew points to a female half-orc walking by towards the galley. You want to talk to Grok, she's the quartermaster on this tub.

Unfortunately you're only able to grab a few words in passing throughout the day, nothing more helpful than I'm too busy and you should be working or I ain't got time for you. With frustration Callum gets back to work on the sails, upset that he didn't get more of a word in edgewise.

You've met the quartermaster Grok and learned her current disposition but that was about it with the check rolled.

Your first day aboard the Wormwood was long, hard and brutal. If any of you had any remaining illusions about the life of a pirate, they were quickly crushed under the reality of the situation. Perhaps someday if you ever became officers or masters of your own ship and the grunt work was tasked to others but so far you envision long days ahead of you.

At least none of you are set to be disciplined as you all seemed to do a good job at your various tasks for the day. You all hit the DC's for doing your job's although Callum and Calvin became Fatigued in the process.

As the crew gathers on deck, a man is brought up in manacles from below decks. He's covered in filth and you can only guess that he has been chained in the bilges. Calvin scratches his head, surprised that he could have missed something like that. Tobias chirped on his shoulder and he realized that he might have had other things on his mind. (Probably should have included this in your Bilge work description but it slipped my mind and there wouldn't have been much you could have done anyways.)

Knowledge(local) DC 15:
You know that after the work of the day is done, during dusk before food is served and the evening begins is known as the "Bloody Hour". This is the time when any punishments earned during the day or from the night before are meted out. Thankfully none of you appear to have earned any.

Harrigan looks to all of the crew as Plugg and Scourge bind the terrified man's hands and feet with ropes that hang over the edge of the ship. You all know the rules! Mr. Jakes Magpie here thought they didn't apply to 'im and decided to try and steal from the ship's stores last night, one of the most heinous of crimes in my book. Unfortunately for him, he got caught and now he's gonna clean the underside of me boat!

With a nod from Harrigan, Scourge pushes the blubbering man overboard whose yell is cut off with a splash. Plugg then walks to the other side of the deck where the rope end is tied to a mooring cleat. Unlatching it, Plugg and a few others begin to slowly haul on the rope, pulling it up to coil on the ship's deck.

Perception DC 15:
While none of the other pirates seem too sympathetic to the man's fate, you do notice that Plugg seems to be taking a special joy in the act of keelhauling the man. Even though he's straining with the others, hauling the rope along the bottom of the ship, there is a cruel smile on his face and his eyes eagerly watch the rope for signs of the tortured man.

It's hard to gage how long this goes on for (12 rounds) but only too soon the bloody remains of Jakes are pulled up over the edge to thump wetly on the deck. His body is torn to ribbons and it's hard to even recognize the man that went into the water. Harrigan calls out, Dump that chum in the water for the sharks and get it off my boat.

If any of you are helping dump the body over AND make a Heal check DC 15:
You get a true sense of the devastation the body endured being dragged along the bottom of the ship. And you aren't even sure if that was what killed him or if it was after he drowned.

You can see Jakes Magpie took between 20-30 points of damage from the keelhauling and he drowned.

After the body is cleared away, Ambrose Kroop and Tully haul out the food for the evening, roasted fish and some boiled potatoes. Everyone digs in hungrily, the day's weariness driving your hunger. As people are eating, Grok moves around the crew with a bucket of liquid, doling out a large cupful (about half a pint) to each person. From the strong smell that hits your nose, you can tell it's rum. The crew down theirs thirstily as they eat. As those of you who do down your own rum, you can feel it hit you solidly and quickly.

Knowledge(local) DC 18:
You know that the rum is often handed out not only as reward but as a means of keeping the crew docile and prevent them from getting too rowdy. It is common to be punished for spilling or selling your rum ration.

You may attempt to dump your ration discreetly without drinking it by making a DC 10 Stealth check.

Possible Rum rolls, depending on character actions:

Callum: +1d4 ⇒ 2 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 3 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Xanxan: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 7 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Ko'ulu: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 3 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 2 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Calvin: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 6 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 2 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Jirobo: +1d4 ⇒ 2 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 6 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Tully: +1d4 ⇒ 4 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 6 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 ⇒ 17

As you are eating and drinking, a woman moves up to sit with the group of you. Settling herself down she introduces herself as Sandara Quinn and you all recognize her as one of the other four people who was press ganged in Port Peril like yourselves. Glancing around, she slides Tully his sap and Callum his boarding axe.

Ol' Cut-Throat is a bit of the supersticious sort and it's amazing what she'll believe. Especially coming from a priestess of Besmara. I told her my items were blessed by the goddess and she shouldn't be surprised if misfortune befell her at my loss of them. She was only too quick to hand my things over, along with those two items. I assumed they belonged to some of you.

Tearing into her food the woman continued with a subtle look towards Scourge. I saw you had a bit of trouble with that bilge rat over there and the Queen take me if he hasn't made my life a living hell this early on as well. Man seems to be infatuated with me and doesn't understand that I'd rather gut him.

She looks back to the rest of you before continuing to eat. I'm guessing you've figured it out already but remember, it isn't necessarily what you know on a ship that helps you get by but sometimes who you know. Friends can help and enemies can hurt. And on a pirate ship, these are the most basic of rules for survival. I hope you will think of me as a friend.

Wow that was a lot. Alrighty, everyone take some time and read through all I posted and when you're ready, please post your Night Time Ship Action (or actions if you're attempting extra).

As a reminder your nonlethal damage will heal after the night's rest. Also, keep in mind if you're Fatigued or Exhausted, please take into account the impact those conditions have to certain die rolls.

As a reminder (and not including the rum rolls above, which would make them Exhausted):
Calvin is Fatigued.
Callum is Fatigued.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Xanxan is happy to see the sun setting. Despite the hard work, the sea keeps him strong and more importantly, it keeps despair away. Piracy so far seems like being a sailor, but with fewer benefits. Very disappointing. I love the sea, the ship's fine, but the management's got to go.

That thought is confirmed when he assembles on the deck with the others and watches the sentencing of the miserable looking failed thief.

Perception": 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

When the remains are hauled back up, Xanxan tries to keep his face passionless. Powerful message to my like... one who steals here better be VERY good, and not get caught.

The food is well received, and Xanxan gobbles that down hungrily. He sniffs at the rum, a drink he's enjoyed from time to time, but tonight he needs to keep his head clear and his wits sharp.

Rather than drink it, he'll try to slip it back into the bucket it came from when folks backed are turned.

'sleight of hand": 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Quote:

Ol' Cut-Throat is a bit of the supersticious sort and it's amazing what she'll believe. Especially coming from a priestess of Besmara. I told her my items were blessed by the goddess and she shouldn't be surprised if misfortune befell her at my loss of them. She was only too quick to hand my things over, along with those two items. I assumed they belonged to some of you.

Tearing into her food the woman continued with a subtle look towards Scourge. I saw you had a bit of trouble with that bilge rat over there and the Queen take me if he hasn't made my life a living hell this early on as well. Man seems to be infatuated with me and doesn't understand that I'd rather gut him.
She looks back to the rest of you before continuing to eat. I'm guessing you've figured it out already but remember, it isn't necessarily what you know on a ship that helps you get by but sometimes who you know. Friends can help and enemies can hurt. And on a pirate ship, these are the most basic of rules for survival. I hope you will think of me as a friend.

The gnome gives an admiring glance to the lady "I can't blame scourge for admiring a pretty woman like yourself, Miss Quinn. Mi'name's XanXan, but I've no liking to the fellow. Tis true. I've not met many others in my day's work, perhaps you'd be so kind as to tell me about the others that was dragged in with ye? Gods of sea and wind know, I'm all for meeting folks what ain't holding a cat of nine tails on me"

sense motive": 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Night action: Sneak

Xanxan is a bit spooked by the treatment of a fellow thief he saw earlier tonight, so rather than trying to steal anything, he'll go looking for the navigation room is this ship has one. If the charts are out and he can steal a glance so much the better.

If it doesn't have a navigation room, I leave it up to our DM to pick a spot on the ship he might stumble upon if that makes it easier for the story to flow :) Taking 20 on the perception check. I see night time sneak DOES have a chance of being spotted so...

stealth": 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


During the meal

Sandara gives a bawdy chuckle at Xanxan's words. You've got a silver tongue on you, sure enough. Or at least you think you do. Downing more of her rum, she shrugs at his question, indicating a couple of other sailors around the deck whom you all recognize as the other 3 "newbies". Don't know much about them, least not much more than you might already know. Rosie Cusswell, the little halfling woman, is a firebrand and recent addition like us. She's stronger than most of the men on this tub and her name is fitting as her tongue is certainly harsher than anyone else's but she's an ok sort. Doesn't care too much for that gnome fellow, Conchobhar Shortstone. Appears he fancies her although she doesn't seem to care for it. From what I gathered he's only been on the ship about a day longer than us. And lastly is Crimson Cogward, or Cog to his friends although I can't imagine he has many. Only been on the ship 3 days but I hear he's already toadying up to Scourge and Plugg, the little eel.

She shrugs again, the rum clearly showing. Granted that's just what I've heard, could be they're all devils or saints. Haven't had much contact with 'em mi'self.

Xanxan(Sneak):
As the night winds down and people are sleeping or gambling, you decide to get better acquainted with your new home. You quickly gather that there isn't a single room dedicated to the navigation of the ship, that the Captain keeps all of the maps and charts locked away in his cabin. As much as you'd love to catch a look at those, you're able to keep yourself in check.

It seems as if you've used all your willpower to avoid that temptation as you find yourself sneaking into the quartermaster's stores. After all you reason, the man was keelhauled for being caught stealing. You don't plan on stealing anything and even if you were, you certainly wouldn't get caught.

Quietly scouting the area, you see two large containers of rum that must have supplied the drinks for the evening. Shut behind a cage are an assortment of items that would find use on a ship, some weapons and armor as well.

1d100 ⇒ 74

You almost giggle in delight as you push the cage door and it swings open before you. Apparently the half-orc likes her rum as well as she apparently forgot to lock the door before heading up to the deck with the bucket. Rummaging around you find 6 lockers inside the storeroom, all with locks although one lock seems to be broken. No wonder that Magpie fellow was caught. Idiot!

As much as you want to, you gave yourself a rule and at least for tonight you're sticking with it. Quietly you head back to the deck and chat with the others before heading below decks to the crew quarters to sleep, none apparently the wiser to your little "excursion".

Stealh is appropriate to avoid notice.

The flavor might make you itchy to steal but Sneak is the action you chose which is actually what gave you the info on the store in the first place. You could have opted to Steal and went to the store rooms but it would have been a lot more random. You know your options now, at least in this particular room. Now with that knowledge, the coming days/nights will be all the more interesting for you.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum was a little upset he didn't get a chance to talk to the quartermaster, and that he hadn't spotted his hat the whole shift. Definitely goin' te have to get me a new 'un.

After a tiring day at the mainsails, Callum was glad for a little reprieve. His face showed a little disgust at the actions of the thief, and then at the results of the punishment. Damn fool, tryin' te rob from the stores. Robbin' the stores is like robbin' the crew. Deserves what he gets, I say... Well, maybe not quite like that.

Callum digs into the food, hoping to shake away his fatigue with the food while slowly savouring the rum wanting it to last and so he could use the last swig to help him sleep. Not that I need much help at the moment.

Sandara Quinn wrote:
"Ol' Cut-Throat is a bit of the supersticious sort and it's amazing what she'll believe. Especially coming from a priestess of Besmara. I told her my items were blessed by the goddess and she shouldn't be surprised if misfortune befell her at my loss of them. She was only too quick to hand my things over, along with those two items. I assumed they belonged to some of you.

"Ahh, thank ye lass. 'Tis good te see not all me spoils had been dumped in the ocean. Say... did ye happen te see me hat in there?"

Sandara Quinn wrote:
"I saw you had a bit of trouble with that bilge rat over there and the Queen take me if he hasn't made my life a living hell this early on as well. Man seems to be infatuated with me and doesn't understand that I'd rather gut him."[/b]

"Aye te that. I jes met the man an', already, he tries flickin' his tool at me," he said with a wink.

Sindara Quinn wrote:
"I'm guessing you've figured it out already but remember, it isn't necessarily what you know on a ship that helps you get by but sometimes who you know. Friends can help and enemies can hurt. And on a pirate ship, these are the most basic of rules for survival. I hope you will think of me as a friend.
Xanxan wrote:
"I can't blame scourge for admiring a pretty woman like yourself, Miss Quinn. Mi'name's XanXan, but I've no liking to the fellow. Tis true. I've not met many others in my day's work, perhaps you'd be so kind as to tell me about the others that was dragged in with ye? Gods of sea and wind know, I'm all for meeting folks what ain't holding a cat of nine tails on me."

Callum nodded. "'e's got a point, an' a good eye. I be Callum Carnvegas an' I'd be all smiles te number ye amongst me friends. Same goes fer ye, Xanxan. I done well appreciated yer support when the Scourge done put his attentions on me."

By the end of the dinner, Callum took that last swig of rum to wash the last of his food down. He then went a bit pale. "Ah... it looks as if the combination o' the days work, the rum and the Scourge's mornin' advances has given me a turn. I think I be takin' te me bed... If there be one who could point me in the right direction."

Callum's CON damage from the rum brings his HP down to 10, even with his nonlethal damage and thus making him "staggered". The fatigue doesn't help. So his night action will be to try to "Sleep".


Sandara gave Callum a smile in return. Why, you all seem to think me beautiful. P'raps I missed my calling. With a chuckle she tries focusing her eyes a bit. Hat? Can't say as I have but who knows what stuff is kept back there. Sure enough they wouldn't have tossed it over the side unless it was worthless so's I bet it's down there somewhere.

Callum almost can't keep his head up as she finishes, the sun, rum and work of the day crashing down on him. Rising unsteadily to his feet, he stumbles down to the crew quarters before collapsing in a hammock, snoring before his body settles in.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)
Quote:
You've got a silver tongue on you, sure enough. Or at least you think you do.

He inclines his head to Sandara, "meaning no harm, but the important thing is do the ladies, such as yourself, think I do? But that's a question I won't be expectin an answer on."

He listens intently to the scuttlebutt about the other 3, and frowns at the mention of the toady "Short sighted, that one. After I saw the look in Mr. Plugg's eyes about Mr. Magpie, I'm not sure I'd want to cozy up to such." He sighs and looks about, "At least they seem generous with the rum." Ignoring the fact he never drank any.

Quote:
Callum nodded. "'e's got a point, an' a good eye. I be Callum Carnvegas an' I'd be all smiles te number ye amongst me friends. Same goes fer ye, Xanxan. I done well appreciated yer support when the Scourge done put his attentions on me."

"Oh, I'm no saint... but you're welcome all the same. I've found some folks repay kindness for like, and we could all use a little kindness now." Xanxan says "I'll be on the look out for that hat as well, but no promises. Who knows, a tall fellow like yourself might provide good shadow for a little fellow like me to take cover in one day. "

He waves to Callum as he trundles off, and nods to Miss Quinn, "I'll see what bridges can be made with either my fellow gnome or the halfling lass, though sounds like if I favor one I might be loggerheads with another."

DM:
Speaking of hats, did he notice Callum's hat in the cage or other part of the stores? I realize he can't steal it, but he might at least to fill Callum in on that news another day.


Xanxan:
You saw no sign of the hat, at least not lying about in easy view. Could be in one of the lcokers or in a barrel or something.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Heal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Calvin watches with dispassionate boredom as the man is tossed overboard. It wasn't the first time he'd seen such treatment and he was unsurprised when the man was brought back up a bloody mess. By impulse he went over to examine the body before it was thrown back in, but was unable to determine anything special about his wounds.

Once the food was brought out, Calvin tucked in hungrily, occasionally giving a bite to Tobias, still perched on his shoulder. He naturally joins the others with whom he "boarded." He chooses to sit at the end of the table - Tobias kept telling him how badly he smelled.

When Sandara joins the group, he stares at her, unblinking. His eyes grow wide when she speaks ill of Scourge - talk like that would no doubt lead to treatment similar to Mr. Magpie's. Calvin, still feeling the effects of Scourge's ordered attack, had no desire to anger the malevolent crew any more. At least for today.

"He told me that I'm his b+&&! today," Calvin says simply and quietly to Tobias. "I hope that doesn't make her jealous."

He doesn't say much else, exhausted from the day's work. Despite Tobias' warnings, he downs the rum in a couple of swigs. The effect is immediate - his face blanches and he moves to the side of the ship to vomit. Again. He heads to his quarters and tries to fall asleep.

Calvin will attempt to fall asleep. Tomorrow will be a better day for making friends.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

The work of the galley was fairly light, divided as it was between two people. Pleasant conversation with Fishguts and Ko'ulu made the unpleasant business of gutting and fileting fish pass easily enough. Tully finished the grunt work of peeling potatoes and spent the remainder of the afternoon in contemplation of the day's events.

However, evening brought a strange evolution to the ship and crew.

Knowledge (Local):
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

A prisoner? He's already shackled. I doubt he could offer any resistance, even if he could summon the will. What use is it to bind him further?

Captain Harrigan wrote:
You all know the rules!

That's a rather unfair assumption.

Captain Harrigan wrote:
Mr. Jakes Magpie here thought they didn't apply to 'im and decided to try and steal from the ship's stores last night, one of the most heinous of crimes in my book. Unfortunately for him, he got caught and now he's gonna clean the underside of me boat!

A strange punishment... I suppose tedious and unpleasant work is a better lesson than the "Cat" - OH, GODS! WHAT ARE THEY DOING?!

Tully stood aghast, mouth hanging wide, unconsciously clutching his iron pendant so hard it was cutting into his hand.

Perception:
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

Mr. Jakes Magpie had once been a man. Tully knew that. What he was now, though, reminded Tully far too much of the bucket of offal he had suggested Ko'ulu use. He felt the stickiness of the blood as he sliced through the scales. It was still staining his hand. They would never be clean again. He would never be clean. He would never be clean...

"Close yer mouth, and help me with this, boy," Fishguts growled at him. "No, it ain't a pretty sight. Put it out o' yer mind, and back to work a'fore they accuse you o' shirkin' yer duties."

Knowledge (Local):
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)
Calvin The Surgeon wrote:


"He told me that I'm his b&&@$ today," Calvin says simply and quietly to Tobias. "I hope that doesn't make her jealous."

Between talking to others, Xanxan is distracted and delighted by something he sees, "I'll be, you really do have a Dodo. See, there's some good news for your day. You found each other."

Quote:


He doesn't say much else, exhausted from the day's work. Despite Tobias' warnings, he downs the rum in a couple of swigs. The effect is immediate - his face blanches and he moves to the side of the ship to vomit. Again. He heads to his quarters and tries to fall asleep.

He watches the poor fellow go to the side and feed the fishes. Then waves as he goes off. Frightening thought is, I may be downright normal on this ship.


Male Human Sea Singer 1
Sandara Quinn wrote:
Ol' Cut-Throat is a bit of the supersticious sort and it's amazing what she'll believe. Especially coming from a priestess of Besmara. I told her my items were blessed by the goddess and she shouldn't be surprised if misfortune befell her at my loss of them. She was only too quick to hand my things over, along with those two items. I assumed they belonged to some of you.

Tully stared at the sap in his hand, as though he'd never properly seen it before. Dinner service had passed in a haze, the memory of the "keelhaulin'" far too fresh in his mind. After an eternity, or perhaps just a few seconds, he secreted the sap through a loop on his belt, and pulled his tunic loosely over it.

Sleight of Hand:
If this is necessary. 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Conversations were growing noisier and more cheerful, as sailors and swabs tore into their repast and shook off the labors of the day. Did they not see what just happened? How can they be so casual?

The lady was watching him in a bemused sort of way. He realized that he must have been staring at her for several seconds, as well. The realization brought him back to himself. He bowed low over her hand.

It shall never be said of me that I neglect my manners. Nor, that I cannot show gratitude and respect to a lady and a benefactor.

Thank you, my Lady... Sandara, was it? I am called Tully. And if I may be so bold, it is with the greatest pleasure that I make your acquaintance. There is an absolute paucity of charming and gentle company aboard this ship, though yours is most assuredly the exception.

Sandara Quinn wrote:
I saw you had a bit of trouble with that bilge rat over there and the Queen take me if he hasn't made my life a living hell this early on as well. Man seems to be infatuated with me and doesn't understand that I'd rather gut him.

Wisdom Check:
See my discussion post. 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

Tully was nodding along with her. Beauty, generosity, friendliness, and rum were working their way through him to lower his already faltering resolve.

Xanxan wrote:
Mi'name's XanXan, but I've no liking to the fellow. Tis true.
Callum wrote:
Aye te that. I jes met the man an', already, he tries flickin' his tool at me.

He's a nasty piece of work, all right. And I'll not have him... Fishguts words of advice, "You watch yourself around here. This ship is poison, it is but don't let anyone hear you say that out loud. The hull listens, see, and the cap'n hears it all," floated through the back of his mind. He quickly shut his mouth, looking around the ship, almost expecting to see spies hiding behind the main mast.


Tully, could you list what your Night Time Ship action is.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

During the day

Xanxan wrote:
"See! You're already better than most lubbers would be at this," Xanxan grinned during their work. "Don't let the abuse we've faced from our less than hospitable hosts sour you on the sailor's life. There's much to praise it. The ocean is eternal, but the sea is fickle and passionate.. enough so that even a gnome might never be bored with her."

Jirobo bobs his head along to Xanxan, "I always wanted to sail on the sea. Maybe see the Eye. Just wish it was under our own power and choice that found us here, Xanxan." Jirobo hauls at the ropes, starting to feel more comfortable in his job as the long day progresses. He gets so wrapped up in his work that he even fails to notice when Xanxan slips away for a little bit.

By the time the day began to wind down, Jirobo's muscles ached but it was a good ache. When the captain and his officers call the crew to attention to witness the capital punishment of Jakes, Jirobo watches without turning away. Haven't never witnessed a man being killed so openly before, the young tengu is at a loss for words as the man is dragged under the ship and ripped to ribbons.

Perception (DC 15): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
Heal (DC 15): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Jirobo hops forward as the body comes back up, whispering a soft blessing for the spirit of Jakes to fly upon the winds of the sea as he helps bury the body in the waters below. The tengu heads back over to Xanxan, looking at the gnome before whispering, "So cruel a fate for so trivial an action."

That evening at the meal

Jirobo tears into his rations with a passion, having not eaten in what has felt like days which is only exasperated by the day's duties. A cup of some odd liquid is put in his hand as he looks at it in puzzlement. He sniffs the cup before shaking his head as if smelling something rank. Before discounting it all together, Jirobo dips one finger into the rum, placing a droplet upon his outstretched tongue. His reaction is probably comical to his fellow sailors as he seems to care not for the taste of the liquor. "Smells bad, tastes worst. What is this called? Pickled sea barnacle juice?" He tries to slip it back in the container it came from or find a descrete location to dump it over the side of the ship.

Stealth Check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

As he is returning to the meal, Jirobo hears the friendly lady, Sandra, chat with some of the others. Slipping up beside Xanxan, Jirobo observes attentively as pleasantries and advice fly back and forth. When talk travels to speak of Mr. Scourge, Jirobo chirps in, "He is a cruel man. Mr. Plugg is too. Cruel men who sow much bad karma-juju in their wake." Jirobo having forgot his manners, extends one feathered hand toward Sandra, "Hi, I'm Jirobo."

After the meal and talk begins to wind down, Jirobo wanders as quiet as he can around the ship, putting together a spontaneous search for his missing belt pouch with the grocery money his mother gave him. He looks for any storage areas in the middle holds of the ship.

Nighttime Action: Sneak
Taking 20 on Perception: 30
Stealth Check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)
Jirobo the Storm Crow wrote:

During the day

Jirobo hops forward as the body comes back up, whispering a soft blessing for the spirit of Jakes to fly upon the winds of the sea as he helps bury the body in the waters below. The tengu heads back over to Xanxan, looking at the gnome before whispering, "So cruel a fate for so trivial an action."

"Aye..." Xanxan whispers back, "Tis a show of power for some..to keep us in line. And.." A glance to Plugg, "A dark delight for others."

........

Quote:
"Smells bad, tastes worst. What is this called? Pickled sea barnacle juice?" He tries to slip it back in the container it came from or find a descrete location to dump it over the side of the ship.

He whispers when the Tengu gets back, "Tis called Rum... great fun once you get the taste for it, some never do. Unfortunately, it can dull the wits, and I think we maybe needing those."

Later, when Miss Quinn is chatting, he smiles as Jirobo talks to her. I do like the fellow. Never met a Tengu friend before, new experiences and friendships are to be treasured. I best do what I can to keep him about then.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully cast around in his mind to cover the sudden emptiness of the conversation. He had far too few reserves to draw on. The various torments of the day had worked his mind into varying stages of complete emptiness and feverish desperation. He needed a way to keep his mind focused while distracting those around him...

You haven't, perchance, heard the story of "Finn the Half-hand and the Commodore's Daughter" have you?

Entertain Action:
Perform Oratory + rum 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

DM:
Apologies. That was a lot of RP + the pleasant interruption of my lovely fiance!

Tully will try to draw in anyone who will listen (PC's I haven't yet met included). Just let me know who stops to listen.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu talks to Fishguts and Tully for a few minutes before heading back to work on the deck. Now all I need to do is find some twine and a decent hook. he thinks as he kneels down and begins to scrub the holystone across the deck once more.

If we do this every day, there won't be a deck to stand on in a month...that would be a pretty poor pirate, to sink himself... Ko'ulu grins at his own joke, and continues grinding, keeping a weather eye out for anything he can use to fish with.

Perception, looking for any old bent nails and old rope that he can unbraid later. 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

The red and lurid light of the setting sun courses across the deck as the bedraggled waste of a human is dragged up on deck. Ko'ulu watches with growing horror at the sight as the man is bound, then drug beneath the ship. Ko'ulu's mind attempts to veer from the imagined plight of the man as he is drug across the razor sharp encrustation of barnacles that foul the bottom of every ship.

Perception, keelhauling 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

The visceral thrill on Plugg's face as he drags on the rope make it all to apparent that the man knows exactly what is happening beneath the ship, and is reveling in the pain that he is inflicting on the man. A fair fight, a clean death, that is one thing...the bloody monster is enjoying that way too much... Feeling a sting from his palms Ko'ulu looks down at his hands. Blood dribbles from perfect little half-moons cut by his nails into his palms...he had been making fists so hard that he had cut himself...and blood dribbled on his hands.

He is like a shark in the lagoon...I will have to kill him.

As the food comes out, Ko'ulu is quiet as he sits with the other new crew. He eats with leaden heart and mind, constantly thinking about the mangled form, tossed over the side of the ship to the hungry waves...until the rum splashes up against it. A quiet burning settles in his mind. The quiet, stupid talking of the others grates on his nerves.

Sandra wrote:
I'm guessing you've figured it out already but remember, it isn't necessarily what you know on a ship that helps you get by but sometimes who you know. Friends can help and enemies can hurt. And on a pirate ship, these are the most basic of rules for survival. I hope you will think of me as a friend.

"Friends? Pha." Ko'ulu spits on the deck. "I don know you. I don know any of you. You could be pirates...lying and spying and creeping." He drinks again from his cup. "Him I trust...walks like a landsman, talks like a landsman...wears boots! Boots when up the ratlines." Ko'ulu points to Tully with an unsteady finger, stained with blood. "If you gonna be friend, actions are all that matter." Ko'ulu stands, a bit unsteadily, and holding the cup in his left hand, crushes it, before dropping its mangled form to the deck and wandering off.

Night action: Sleep...nothing like rum and dehydration


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)
Quote:
"Friends? Pha." Ko'ulu spits on the deck. "I don know you. I don know any of you. You could be pirates...lying and spying and creeping." He drinks again from his cup. "Him I trust...walks like a landsman, talks like a landsman...wears boots! Boots when up the ratlines." Ko'ulu points to Tully with an unsteady finger, stained with blood. "If you gonna be friend, actions are all that matter." Ko'ulu stands, a bit unsteadily, and holding the cup in his left hand, crushes it, before dropping its mangled form to the deck and wandering off.

"Well.. ah... mmm... and so forth," Xanxan says, not sure what to say to that, but saying it anyway. Of course, the man has a point. I'm taking a gamble trusting Miss Quinn.


Between the rum and the food, the swaying of the ship and the work of the day, Calvin quickly succumbs to sleep in the crew quarters. Tobias tucks into his side, a warm presence that helps ease his mind.

As he moves off to head below decks to bed, Sandara lets out a bellow of a laugh before slapping Tully on the shoulder. Now I can say tha's the first time anyone's called me a lady. Best not make a habit of it handsome.

Tully smiles as he rises, clearing his throat loudly to gather the attention of those who'll listen. As he dives into "Finn the Half-hand and the Commodore's Daughter" many of the crew turn and listen with rapt attention. Men bark laughter where appropriate and let out a cheer when Finn finally has his way with the young lass in the end. Even though they've probably heard the story a hundred times before, they applaud like it was there first time. Sandara smiles at the young bard with the rest of the crew and Tully feels another flush of heat creep on his face that isn't necessarily from the rum. This is quickly tempered as he spots Scourge's eyes on him, hatred burning in the man's look before he turns away to talk with some of the other sailors.

Ko'ulu's outburst didn't seem to shock too many of the sailors that noticed it, many used to infighting and general drunk behavoir. Sandara leaned closer to the group as he walked off. Did I say something to offend? Haven't dealt with a tribesman before. People shrugged, not knowing what had set the man off, except for the rum of course.

As people stumble to bed, the night becomes quiet and the gentle rocking of the ship quickly puts most people to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night the door to the crew quarters opens abruptly and Jirobo comes sailing into the room. Most of the sailors don't even wake and those that do simply glance his way before rolling over and falling back asleep. Jirobo is none the worse for wear but his eyes are wide as he can only imagine what awaits him tomorrow after the work day is done.

An eventful night indeed. Next update coming shortly.


Jirobo(Sneak):
Meant to include this in the above post but forgot.

You set out to sate your curiousity, moving into the main hold and wandering around. You spot pigs in cages and a few other sparse items but there isn't much to the hold, empty as it is since they last put into port. The Wormwood isn't exactly a merchant vessel.

As you come towards one of the mast beams you draw up short as you see a hulking man chained to the beam. Easily the biggest man on the ship, one of the biggest you've ever seen, he notices you looking at him and surges up with a roar before his wrists catch on the chains binding him.

Moving back in terror you feel a hand clamp down on your shoulder before you're roughly hoisted up by a number of hands. They don't hurt you but you do find yourself hauled back up the stairs and pitched through the air to land with a thump in the crew quarters.

The night seems to pass only too quickly before it's the next day. Men grumble as they start to wake, making their way towards the door and stairs. You all feel fairly well rested, even with the back breaking labor of the day before. Sadly it's another day of the same ahead of you it seems.

Above you can hear the bell starting to ring calling the men above decks so they can start their tasks for the day. Almost as soon as it does, four sailors move to bar your way. One of the men pushes Jirobo in the chest sending him back a step.

You in a hurry, runt? Think you new guys need a lesson in how things work around here. With that, one of the men throws a punch. Above you can still hear the bell ringing.

We're starting combat. None of the men look to be drawing weapons at this time. Because no one has the Unarmed Strike feat between you or the pirates, no one will provoke for punching, kicking, etc. So just make your unarmed attack roll as appropriate, with whatever modifiers apply.

Still figuring out my mapping options but this is a pretty loose combat so it should be ok without. Assume you're in the cramped crew quarters so there isn't much in the way of movement options. You can get into flanking etc with Acrobatics checks and the like but assume you're in melee with at least 1 person at all times.

Initiative:
Callum: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Ko'ulu: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Tully: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Jirobo: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Xanxan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Calvin: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Pirates: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Init Order:
Xanxan, Calvin, Ko'ulu, Callum, Tully, Jirobo, Pirates(4)
There is no surprise round, you guys pretty much guessed their intentions. Remember, for the PC's it's first post, first goes so pay attention to what people do before you. I will post the Pirates actions once they are up, which in this case is last in the order. So basically once all the PC's have gone, the pirates will go.

Please post your Round 1 actions.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Xanxan's eyes narrow as Jirobo gets punched. Twouldn't be my concern, but I did tell myself I considered him a friend, didn't I? That being the case. I reckon I better do what friends do for friends.

The gnome tries to flip and scurry past one of their attackers the better to flank or get behind the one that hit Jirobo.

acrobatics": 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Then he punches hard in the crotch, or back of the knee...which ever is available.

He has weapon finesse which I think applies to unarmed attacks as they are natural. If not, then make the bonus a mere +1 rather than the plus 4 below

to hit": 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
tiny fist dmg": 1d2 ⇒ 2
Sneak attack bonus if it qualifies": 1d6 ⇒ 3

"Good morning, Ladibucks, today I'll be teaching ye a bit of a lesson about messing with a gnome's fellow crimpee. No one assaults us first thing in the morning and walks up to deck whistling happy!"


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Gentlemen, may I prevail upon you to avoid this unnecessary aggression? Some of my associates seem to be quite formidable, and we are none of us in a cheerful mood...

Tully edges towards the perimeter, while continuing to speak in an enthusiastic tone.

Inspire Courage (+1 to Atk and Dmg, saves vs. Charm and Fear)


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Except for Ko'ulu. He does have Improved Unarmed Strike. I will roll an AoA and an attack each round. I recommend RPTools for mapping, and then linking directly to picsa or another web image site for holding the map.

Ko'ulu rolls out of the hammock and drops lightly to the floor, rubbing his eyes. The ringing of the watch bell still in his ears as he blearily rubs his eyes and smacks his mouth. Huh. I don't remember much from after dinner...I must have been pretty tired. he thinks as he walks to the gang-way.

Seeing the four men bar the way up the stairs puts a large grin on Ko'ulu's face. He might not be able to do something about the sailor that was killed yesterday, but there is nothing like a brawl to work out the kinks in a man's spirit.

Tully starts talking in the background, and even though Ko'ulu can't really make out what he is saying as he wades in and starts punching and kicking, he feels very focused on the moment.

Unarmed Strike 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Fisherman's Furious fists 1d3 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
AoA on some unfortunate 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Right Hook 1d3 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

non-lethal attacks.


Was gonna ask you abou that. ;-)

And I forgot about your feat, remembered you were a Fighter and just assumed you didn't have it.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo rubs his chest after the push then looks back up at the pirate with the attitude, "We know how it works around here. Big man with whip wants friends, you want to be his friends so do bad things for him. After this maybe you'll all have a friendly hug and go back to his room for tea and biscuits?" As the punches start flying, Jirobo ducks and weaves as best he can, trying to keep from becoming a feathered punching bag as he retaliates with pecks of his hard beak at the soft unprotected flesh around the fists of the assailants. Why do all the bad people hate me? I done nothing wrong.

Natural attack (bite): 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 3 + 1 = 14
If it hits, Damage (bite): 1d3 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 1 = 3


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum, still a little worse for wear from the rum last night, grits his teeth in anger as his temper wears thin.

"How it works is when the bell does it's ringin' the lot o' us go up fer our duties. Them whats gets in our way will wish them was given a nice peaceful keelhaulin' next to what we've in store for 'em. Are ye one o' them what's curious on what it'll be?" Callum asks the ringleader who had spoken, his hand hovering over his boarding axe.

Intimidate (Demoralize): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

"Aye, I do think ye are! Hey lads," he calls to his companions, "I think we done found ourselves a blaggard what needs a good lesson. Have at 'im!"

Freebooter's Bane (allies within 30ft gain +1 unnamed bonus to weapon attack and damage against the specified individual) {in case it gets to that point...}


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Ko'ulu, don't forget to add +1 to your Atk. Jirobo, ditto to Atk and Dmg.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin is frightened by the angry pirates - he has no ties to the bird man and no real reason to take his side. However, the bird man did nothing to deserve that attack. And Calvin did "board" with these others.

In an effort to end the scuffle quickly, Calvin casts Sleep (DC 16), aiming the spell to target as few of his allies as possible. But if some get caught, so be it. A simple shaking should get them right up.

I don't know how many will be caught in the spell, but if possible, I'd like to hit all of them.


Pirate saves:
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

Due to the number of HD you can target, you don't really need to worry about hitting the other PC's.


Pirate's actions

A Calvin finishes speaking, two of the pirates' eyes go glassy before they slump to the deck. Their snores almost drown out the bell outside.

With a curse, the sailor bit by Jirobo pulls his hand back before sending a kick at the little tengu's head. Damn bloody bird!

The other man squares off at Ko'ulu, throwing a fist. His untrained blow leaves him open to Ko'ulu's technique but the tribesman is unable to connect.

Ko'ulu, my description above takes into account your AoO which was a miss.

Pirate attack on Jirobo: 1d20 ⇒ 19, Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 nonlethal
Pirate attack on Ko'ulu: 1d20 ⇒ 20, Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 nonlethal
Crit confirm on Ko'ulu: 1d20 ⇒ 20, Extra Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 nonlethal

Both PC's are hit. Round update coming shortly.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Spellcraft Check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Strange. He's an odd one... with an odd-looking bird, as well. Though, he may be another one worth knowing. I'll have to see what I can contrive once these bullies are dealt with.


The group of you manage to spring into action before the pirates and quickly gain the upper hand. Ko'ulu lands a viscious blow against one of the men facing him while Jirobo bites a chunk out of the hand of another. Xanxan's movements prove too quick for his own good as his fist sails wide.

Tully and Callum both try to use words to end the situation, if to differing effects. Calvin, worried about getting hit again so soon, mutters a spell under his breath that suddenly sends two of the men to the deck asleep.

Seeing their fellows drop, the remaining two men launch into the tengu and wildman. One of them smashes an elbow into Ko'ulu's face, blood spraying out as the other kicks Jirobo in the gut, nearly doubling him over.

Round 2 Status:
Young Tully: HP 9/9, AC 18
Ko'ulu: HP 11/11, AC 14 (4 nonlethal)
Xanxan Gimblewabe: HP 9/9, AC 16
Calvin the Surgeon: HP 8/8, AC 12
Callum Carnvegas: HP 12/12, AC 15
Jirobo the Storm Crow: HP 9/9, AC 13 (2 nonlethal)
Pirate 1: HP 11/11, AC 12 (Asleep)
Pirate 2: HP 11/11, AC 12 (Asleep)
Pirate 3: HP 11/11, AC 12 (8 nonlethal)
Pirate 4: HP 8/11, AC 12

How I run combat: Generally I post a Round update along with current statuses after the last round so that everyone knows what's going on/what happened and things don't get lost in the posts. This includes strings for the enemies so you can keep track of who is left and speed things up. Also, once a PC either hits the opponents AC exactly or comes within 1 of it above or below, I will then list their AC so as to further speed things up. Ko'ulu managed that with his AoO so I listed the pirates' AC. Otherwise it would have been a ?.

Please post your Round 2 actions now.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Already flanking or behind the one on Jirobo, Xanxan gets annoyed at his last miss, and tries to use his height to his advantage by nailing up between the pirate's legs in an assault on the man's jewels.

to hit
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
tiny angry fist damage
1d2 ⇒ 1
sneak attack if it applies
1d6 ⇒ 4


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully tries to slip in behind the pirate tough who struck Ko'ulu. (This assumes Xanxan moved into flanking, supporting Jirobo) I think, perhaps the tide has turned against you gentlemen. It seems unlikely that my fellows and I will fail to press our advantage...

Continue to Inspire Courage (2 rounds used, 5 remaining).
Acrobatics Check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Very Dignified Punch 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Add +2 to the attack if Ko'ulu grants me a flanking bonus.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Just a note, I think Callum is at 11/11 HP due to his loss of 3 CON from the rum (1 of which would have healed overnight).

The battle joined, Callum watched amazed as two of the pirates dropped at a word from Calvin. The battle joined, he then waded in, moving around to attack the man he had spoken to and who was now in deep with the bird-man.

To Hit: 1d20 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 + 1 = 12 (yay Tully)
Damage: 1d3 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 1 = 3


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo doubles over as if to wretch for a moment, his hands balling up into clenched fists. Oh, so much hurt. Stomach feels like can of wriggling worms. Bad men must pay for this. As the others around him lay into the pirates, Jirobo lets fly a 'low-blow' at the pirate who kicked him.

Unarmed attack (ramshambo-blow): 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 1 = 9


Alright well that was quick. You guys will drop the remaining two pirates with the above actions. I will post the update shortly.


Prep rolls.
Callum: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Jirobo: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Tully: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Xanxan: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Calvin: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Ko'ulu: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Tully: 1d100 ⇒ 74, high is good


The last two men fall unconscious to the deck and just that quick it's over. You all take a moment to gather yourselves together but the victory is fleeting as you haul ass to the main deck for the day's duties. Everyone else is on deck and waiting for Plugg to speak.

Seeing you emerge from the cabin, Scourge grimaces before motioning off a sailor back into the crew quarters. A few moments later the four bruised men come out, looking at you all angrily. Plugg raises his voice. Late to shift?! I don't tolerate laziness on this ship! That'll be three lashes for you lads tonight! Scourge grimaces briefly before glaring daggers at you all, his plan clearly backfiring.

With that unpleasantness out of the way, your days start anew. More back breaking labor awaits.

Day 2:

Callum:
Plugg calls out to you from the sterncastle. Get on those lines today, Mr. Carnvegas! And don't trip yourself up.

Your daily task requires either a Profession (sailor) or Dexterity check, DC 10. Additionally you also need to make a Con check DC 10 to see if you are Fatigued at the end of your shift.

Tully:
You head into the galley to find Kroop busy at work. He looks up at you as you come in. I need you to get down to the hold, bring up a pig, slaughter it, and clean it. Cap'n wants a special feast tonight. Probably wants to celebrate another fine example of justice from last night. Phaw! He spits at the ground.

Making your way down to the hold, you thank yourself that the cook appeared sober today and all you had to do was deal with a pig.

Your daily task requires either a Profession (cook) or Survival check, DC 10. As Kroop is sober, he will handle the rest of the preparations.

Everyone Else:
Scourge pulls you four over, his face a thunderhead as he grumbles. Very cute. Alright time to work you dogs!

You two, pointing at Jirobo and Calvin, you'll be running today! You keep the orders moving and come when called.

Calvin and Jirobo. Your daily task requires both an Acrobatics check and a Con check, DC 10. Failure of the Con check indicates you're fatigued at the end of your shift.

Scourge points to Ko'ulu with a sneer. Savage. You're my washerwoman again! Scrub those decks!

Your daily task requires either a Strength or Con check, DC 10. Regardless of which you choose, failure indicates you're faitgued at the end of your shift.

Lastly he points to Xanxan. The gnome with the mouth. Your turn in the hole today! Get in those bilges and keep em flowing! That pump won't man itself!

Your daily task requires a Strength check, DC 12. Additionally you also need to make a Con check DC 10 to see if you are Fatigued at the end of your shift.

Everyone post your various responses as appropriate along with what your Day Time Ship Action will be for Day 2.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo is still rubbing his bruised stomach as their duties are called out. Oh, errand running today. Doesn't sound so bad. When Xanxan is exiled to the bilge for the day, Jirobo gives the gnome an encouraging pat, "Not so bad, at least you can now smell like rest of crew, Xanxan." A odd cawing chortle bubbles up from Jirobo's beak before it ends in a groan, his hand going to his stomach again, "Oh, stomach hurts still."

He hops over to Calvin afterward, his duty buddy for the day, "I want to thank you for help earlier. We have not made the greetings as of yet, I am Jirobo." The tengu extends a feathered hand toward Calvin in a friendly manner. "What is the name of your friend? Not see many of dodo cousins around anymore. At least, that's what mother always said."

As the day progresses, Jirobo enjoys the freedom of message running. Not so much different than racing around the lighthouse tending to a dozen little duties and relaying messages from his father at the top to his mother at the bottom. But his lack of knowledge of a ships layout and dangers gives Jirobo some difficulty in his tasks. Coupled with the beating his stomach took in the morning, Jirobo is winded and panting hard after a day running about.

Acrobatics Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Constitution Check: 1d20 ⇒ 1

In his free moments during a day of bumbling about the Wormwood, Jirobo takes a few moments to talk to Cut-Throat Grog, the quartermaster. "Hello pretty lady Grog, I'm Jirobo. I was wondering if you find a small pouch, fit for a belt, and has few bits of string, stones, and coins inside? It has some sentimental value to me and would like to find it in one piece. If a strong, pretty lady like yourself happens to find it or know what it is, I would owe her many favors.

Daytime Action: Influence(or Shop) Cut-Throat Grog.
Diplomacy Check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3
Trying to see if I can charm my possessions off her.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Xanxan is more than amused to see the four that tried to waylay them come up late, and he feels not one dram of sympathy as they're condemned to three lashes each.

He doesn't miss Scourge's glare either, and says in mock innocence to those that helped Jirobo "Some folks just ain't morning people, I reckon."

Little did he know he'd pay for that comment later.
Figured I'd earn the bilge work RP wise too :)

The Job:

Quote:

Lastly he points to Xanxan. The gnome with the mouth. Your turn in the hole today! Get in those bilges and keep em flowing! That pump won't man itself!

Your daily task requires a Strength check, DC 12. Additionally you also need to make a Con check DC 10 to see if you are Fatigued at the end of your shift.

Xanxan inwardly winces. Off all the jobs to be assigned, this is the one that might give him the hardest time. He'll practically be swimming in the stuff if he's unlucky, and while he's strong by gnomish standards, he's still a gnome.

No cure but elbow grease and he goes to work. Fortunately Calvin did the job yesterday gave it a good go, so it really is only today's work he's doing. Mind you, that only makes it slightly LESS disgusting than it could be.

He works diligently as he can, realizing he'll have no time to lollygag about if he wants to do this right.

working diligently added onto str roll": 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
constitution check": 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Jirobo:
While the freedom of movement the job allows is uplifting to Jirobo, you can't seem to make much headway with the lay of the ship. After your fourth tumble across a coil of rope Plugg moves forward, yanking the bird-man by the arm.

You really are trying to set a record for punishment aren't you?! I thought your kind was supposed to bring luck to a ship but all I've seen is incompetency and deceit. Sneaking around the ship isn't enough, you've got to screw up at an easy enough task too? You'll be seeing the whip tonight, you little turd!

Your spirit weighs heavy but you try to salvage the day, attempting to entreat the quartermaster Grok. Clearly someone who would make a good friend. While the compliment is well composed in your mind apparently something in your voice doesn't convey your true thoughs, your intentions apparently misread by the half-orc. Pretty lady? Pretty lady! Are you trying to be funny?! Is that some kind of joke, freak?! I'll have you know I've had men clamber at my door! How dare you, you little maggot! She shoves you roughly to the deck before moving on.

Tears formed at the corners of the tengu's eyes, but he hardened himself to them, knowing what would happen if anyone saw them.

You failed your task for the day bad enough, you have earned 3 lashes. You're pretty sure you've got some additional punishment coming from getting caught the other night, based on Plugg's statement. Additionally you will be Fatigued even having failed. You have also failed the Diplomacy check bad enough to lower Grok attitude towards the PC's to Unfriendly.

Hope I didn't presume too much at the end of my post but I can't shake the image of a somewhat young naive childlike persona in Jirobo. Someone who doesn't truly know how mean the world can be yet. Obviously feel free to ignore or tweak the last part if it was too much when/if you respond.

Xanxan:
It's all you can do to keep your feet amidst all of the filth and slime. Within the first hour, you've gone under at least 4 separate times. You put all your effort into pumping that damnable pump yet it just won't budge for you.

Sweat dripping from your brow you look up to see Scource smiling down at you. Looks like we found some way to shut your yap up, eh boy? You're gonna flood this ship with s@*!, you incompetent swine. You'll taste the whip tonight for your ineptitude. With that he moves back up to the deck, leaving you to finish what little you can while you dwell on what is to come that evening.

You failed your task for the day bad enough, you have earned 3 lashes. Additionally you will be Fatigued even having failed the task.

51 to 100 of 1,114 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMJ's Skull & Shackles, Part 1: The Wormwood Mutiny All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.