Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DMJ's Skull & Shackles

Game Master Jonasty1031

Adventure and danger on the high seas! Can you claim your own Pirate destiny in the Shackles?

Current Map


901 to 950 of 1,114 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>

Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

"Victory!" Callum shouts, letting the rest of the crew hear about the results of their actions.

"Aye, let's truss up these scalywags, prep them fer their just desserts, an' split the spoils o' victory. We may want te take stock o' what be in the stores, as well. I be needin' te replace me blade what this one," Callum says as he kicked Plugg in the ribs, "made me lose in the drink. An' we kin get te work settin' things aright on the ship. Tully has it aright. We follow Plugg's plan te Bloodcove. I expect Plugg done already strayed from Harrigan's plans whats him goin te Squibs, tryin' te take the ship fer 'is own."

Callum looks longingly up at the wheel before turning back, "I've me own charts in me locker, but I expect there may be more in the cabin where these lads were holed up. With them, I expect I can get us there."


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

The fight swiftly over, Jirobo seems to sag in exhaustion as he hops over to check on Scourge's condition while Xanxan has his fun stripping the man of every bit of his possessions. "Scourge is also still amongst the living. I say we leave them to the sea to judge. A mercy for those who have never shown it." The tengu sits down on some of the stairs heading up to the wheel while he winces at the shallow cut in his side.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

"Birdy is right, they is cut up. Dump them over and let the sea sort them out." Ko'ulu says, pointing over the railing.

"If they survive, then it wasn't their time yet."


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

"No, no no..." The gnome says, "Now lads, I've said before I'm not a nice gnome. I ain't often cruel, but I ain't often nice. Now if you want me NOT to drown him in bilgewater... well, I'll admit that's a bit vindictive o me. If you want me NOT to whip him till he dies, well, I won't pretend that's about justice. But Scourge dies. I promised him that. I'll slit his throat clean and drop him over the side if you like while he still sleeps. He'd never even feel it. More 'mercy' than he deserves... you do what you like with Plugg, but Scourge ... no, no living for him. I made a hundred promises to kill him in my dreams, and I mean to keep at least one of them."

Hopefully we found some rope or other things to tie him up with

A pause, "I'm fine with the blood cove though."


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

"Me first thought be te dole out their punishments with the crew as witness, particularly them whats thrown their lot in with 'em... Ye know... a good keelhaulin' fer Plugg, the lash fer Scourge, an' the plank fer Tate an' mayhap Jape... but I don' know if I have the patience whats te wait. The only thing whats keepin' me from lobbin' 'em o'er the side, is the selfish desire te see the fear in their eyes when they learn their fate."


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Tylos looks at the others and says So no one wants to see if they have any information that might be useful to us? I'm not saying don't kill them I'm just saying it would be a shame to waste potential information for the sole purpose of a quick kill. My suggestion is to revive them, see if they have any information...and then kill them.

Shrugging, he says a word and begins looking over the assembled gear, identifying the magical items for the group.

Spellcraft rolls as needed1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14


Male Human Sea Singer 1

It may be a greater kindness than they deserve... But, I do not believe the crew will love us for showing the same cruelty and bloodlust that these bastards gave them. The sooner we are free of their pall, the better.

Merciful Xanxan, perhaps you had best go with Callum to collect these maps. But, beware. Remember the devilish cunning they employed on the Wormwood. They may have had time enough to rig such foul devices here.

When we are ready, I believe I can persuade the crew to their duties. If any refuse, then they may have to share in Tate's ultimate fate. I could wish there were a spit of land around, though. Marooning is not a fate I would enjoy, though it may just be preferable to a long walk off a short plank...


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

"Don't butter me up, Tully lad," Xanxan shakes his head, a sad smile on his face, "You're the merciful one. I'll go with Callum for reasons you say, but ..." his eyes light up, "Wait. I'll take the hand. The hand that held the scourge! Callum, what say you to some hasty axe work? We take the hand at the wrist, wrap his stump, burn it if need be... and then let him swim with THAT. What say you all?"


Just a reminder, Plugg is bleeding out currently. Tate and Scourge you've got time to discuss their fate but if you plan on saving Plugg even to kill him later, someone needs to indicate that.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum chuckles spinning his axe in his hand. "Ye've got a good mind on ye, Xanxan. Not sure he'll be needin' the bandage, what with them all bleedin' an' asleep from their miserable efforts that a bandage mayn't do anything for 'im. Nonetheless, I'm agreeable te that. Mayhap as an addendum, if'n ye didn' wan te keep 'is hand as somethin' like a souvenir, we kin always put it firmly where the sun don' shine, pluggin the Plugg, so te speak. I expect it's close te reality at any pace, if we can't plant 'is lips there."

"As fer the crew an' their duties, as ye say Tully, the deck could use a scrubbin, whats with the blood an' all... This one's still messin' it up... Callum says nudging Plugg again as the blood continues to dribble out of him. "An' the bilges can always use a pumpin', a good job fer the new uns, I expect... the riggin' an' sails could use some sortin' an' cleanin', an the nest needs te be manned..." he says pausing, "But mayhap lets give 'em an opportunity te celebrate a bit afore we get 'em workin'."

"At any rate, the real work won' be on 'till we gots the lay o' the sea an' wind, whats to be direct te Bloodcove. An' we need te make sure there be no other surprises, like ye suggest lad, elsewhere in the ship. Secure it fer us and the crew, along with checkin' the supplies and such fer sabotage or whatnot."


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

The gnome laughs at Callum's talk of the hand, then "Actually, I was going to have the hand bronzed..." a pause, "Ah, Plugg is fading on us. Should we stop that bleeding thing?"


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum sighs, "As much as I love talkin' about what we'd like te do with 'em, like Tully says, the sooner we're rid o' 'em the better. Might not be a point in wastin' the effort te fix 'im up, unless there is more thinkin' like Tylos' that they be holdin' some information of import. Perhaps just tossin' 'em over fer the sharks, like what the Storm Crow an' Ko'ulu suggest, be the best course o' action, with a side trip te get ye a hand te be bronzed of course," Callum finishes with a wink.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo sighs as he stands up and shuffles over to the quickly fading Plugg. The tengu puts two fingers to his pulse before ribbing off strips of Plugg's own garments to use as bandages to stop the bleeding, "He is close to the other side but should be stabilized now. Might of been more merciful to let him slip into the void though."

Heal check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Heal check 2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
Quote:
"Perhaps just tossin' 'em over fer the sharks, like what the Storm Crow an' Ko'ulu suggest, be the best course o' action, with a side trip te get ye a hand te be bronzed of course," Callum finishes with a wink.

"Fair enough, over the side...and I get my hand. I think that's dandy for all involved. Now Tylos has his point, as ye say, about getting information from them... but I'm not sure how honest they'll plan to be, less we put them through a lot of pain." He raises a brow, "And, no offense, while they deserve torture, not sure all of us would have the stomach for it. Not our good Jirobo here, nor kind Tully to be sure."

The gnome seems completely unaware of any irony in not seeing taking a man's hand as torture.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

"I guess that'll keep 'im fresh fer the sharks when we toss 'im," Callum said looking at the makeshift bandages on Plugg.

"No point in sailin' around in circles," he says before moving to the Scourge and raising his axe high. He then chops down on the Scourge's wrist, the wrist of the same hand that weidled the lash that had licked their backs in the weeks before, neatly severing it. He picks it up and looks at it, turning it over, before turning and tossing it to Xanxan. "Here ye go. One hand, fresh as fresh can be."

"Now, as ye say, let's toss 'em. Then we can split the spoils, an' secure the ship." With that he wipes and puts his axe into a belt loop and starts to drag one of the bodies towards the edge of the ship.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xanxan catches it, and grins, "Just like a proper crewman to lend his mate a hand." He lets it drip out a bit, then wipes the remainder of the blood off before storing it away to help dump the bodies over the side. Especially Scourge. "Fear not, Scourge. A part of you will always be with us." And he dumps him over the side (unless they are stopped) "Farewell to bad rubbish. Besmara kick your soul to the Abyss screaming."

Me thinks Callum has just ended the debate portion of things


Alright, I'll get an update posted shortly. Just want to clarify something first.

How much do you want the crew to be aware of things as they happen? What I mean is, obviously regardless of how you do it, the crew will know that Plugg, Scourge and Tate are dead. But do you want to bring them up to watch the actual tossing over (set an example like) or just have them learn about it? Do you want them to see you going through Plugg's/Scourge's stuff and the rest of the ship or do you want to look for loot and spoils separately and then determine what you divy, if anything, to the crew? From a meta perspective, you guys have won the day and there's no hurry on anything, so the crew can stew for a bit while you search the ship, etc. I just want to know how much they're privvy to so I can tailor my update accordingly. Once I have an idea on that, I'll post something.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

I was under the impression that we were dumping Scourge and Plugg before we summoned the crew, but that Tate was going to be offered one chance to serve and live, or walk the plank. Also, that we were dividing the loot before and at least searching the cabin (for maps, etc.) before we called the crew to deck.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Yeah. I had forgotten about Tate. He wasn't one I was planning to put over the side myself. *Doh*


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Oops. Thought I answered this.

Basically, the crew may have heard Callum's victory shout. That along with the lack of the sounds of combat might mean they would come to investigate or to bring up their prisoners. Whether they see us dump Scourge and Plugg, doesn't matter to me.

As for the spoils. Even though the code stipulates an equal share of the treasure, we, as "officers" now, get several shares. It's generally up to the officers anyhow, to dole out the shares. I also think that the Helpful crew should get something (the unhelpful/enemy crew can have their stuff taken away and spread amongst the rest).

EDIT: Oops again. Forgot I did it in the other thread. Oh well.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Seeing Jirobo start to minister to the bleeding Plugg Ko'ulu growls at him, grabs the naked man by the arms and slings him over the railing.

Strength 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

After Xanxan performs his tender ministrations on Scourge, he smiles and nods, a hand going unconciously to scratch the scars on his back. He helps Xanxan roll Scourge to the edge of the ship then stands back as the gnome sends the piece of filth to watery justice.


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Tylos shakes his head and chuckles to himself. Well I suppose that solves that then. Going back to identifying the items he lets the others know what he finds.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

After seeing that Tate is stable and securely tied up, and Plugg and Scourge over the side (minus Scourge's hand), Xanxan gets to work exploring the ship...focusing on the captain's quarters.

Don't want the DM getting impatient so I'll make some rolls that might help with that. Feel free to put it before or after the other sailors come topside as suits best.

Perception (General) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Perception (Trapfinding) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Disable Device (Traps if any found) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Disable Device (locks) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

He may also use his diplomacy to win over some of the crews newer blood to their side if he can, but that's probably later.

EDIT: Darn formatting. I need not to post at this time at night.


Ko'ulu slaps Tate awake as he's being tied to the mainmast. The dwarf could only watch ashen-faced as you stripped Plugg and Scourge down, cut off the boat-swain's hand, and dumped the bodies overboard. He didn't know what was in store for him but he knew it couldn't be good.

Going over the gear, Tylos is able to point out a number of items of interest that the two men carried. Tate wasn't even worth a pat down, his possesions little more than the weapon he carried.

Xanxan moves to explore the captain's cabin and finds it luxuriously appointed and maintained. There are no traps in place of any kind, Plugg not having time to set up the ship like Harrigan had the Wormwood. Moving around, admiring the splendor the gnome doesn't find anything of real note at first. He's able to find some charts and maps like Callum had suggested but that was about it. Turning to leave, he gave the bed an inquisitive slap to see how comfortable it might be. His hand hit something sharp and he quickly bent to feel around it. With a smile he drew his dagger and sliced a long rip down the center of the bed.

Instead of down stuffing, Xanxan could only grin at the various spoils he found stuffed within. No surprise Plugg didn't let Harrigan in on this little secret. Probably hoping to use it to start his own little career.

Moving out of the cabin, he returned to the others as the rest of the crew was making their way up from below. Xanxan lowered his voice and informed the group of the find he had stumbled upon in the captain's quarters.

As the crew came forward, Jape looked angrily at Tate and the splashes of blood on the deck. He looked you all over and already knew what had happened even before you announced the "departure" of Plugg and Scourge from the Man's Promise. Those loyal to you give nods of agreement and some cheer loudly.

The Rahadoumi sailors look silently on as the others cheer and Fishguts approaches you. So captains! Seems the Promise is yours and we're your crew now. He looks over at the press ganged lot and lowers his voice. I don't know what you plan on doing with them but if'n you're looking for an opinion I'd say to go easy on them if it please y'all. They only served Plugg cause they knew the plank awaited them if they didn't. They didn't even put up a fight below, just simply sat there while we watched them. I ain't vouching for 'em by any measure but they're just sailors looking for a ship in a storm.

He nods his head at Jape. That one's a right pain in the ass and I guess what you got planned for Tate might be well good for him too, although again I'll leave that to you.

Stepping back Fishguts stands with the rest of the crew and gives a nod. Sandara wears a small smile as she leans jauntily against a railing. Orders, sirs?

Loot:

Numbers in () are gp value of items where necessary to note. Everything else can be looked up at pfsrd.com or in the books.

Scourge

  • potion of cure light wounds
  • potion of blur
  • leather armor
  • MW handaxe
  • whip
  • punching dagger
  • shortbow
  • green vial with 8 doses of oil of taggit
  • leathe snuff box with diamond stud, contains 1 dose of dark reaver powder
  • silver wedding ring (25gp)
  • 14pp, 29gp

Plugg

  • potion of cure moderate wounds
  • 3 screaming bolts
  • tidewater cutlass
  • MW cat-o'-nine-tails
  • light crossbow
  • amulet natural armor +1
  • bracers of armor +1
  • shackles of compliance
  • 200gp, 100sp

Captain's room
[list]

  • potion of cure light wounds
  • leather hip flask depicting a crocodile (25gp)
  • 2 daggers
  • 1 MW dagger
  • 6 alchemists fire
  • two barrels of cheap perfume (25gp each)
  • wedding dress inlaid with pearls and rubies (400gp)
  • whalebone corset with inlaid pearls (20gp)
  • 13 silver hatpins with obsidian insets (5gp each)
  • various gems worth 456gp 97sp
  • 2 potion water breathing
  • gold belt buckle (25gp)
  • dagger scabbard inlaid with pearls (75gp)
  • 3 obsidians (10gp) each
  • spyglass (750gp)
  • 3 silver shoe buckles (5gp each)
  • gold ring (50gp)
  • leather armor
  • 6 spears
  • 8 courtiers outfits (30gp each)
  • ring of swimming
  • silver tankard (30gp)
  • silver locket (45gp)
  • 3 bottles chelish perfume (15gp each)
  • chopsticks made from manticore spikes (15gp)
  • 165gp
  • lesser bracers of archery
  • wand of mirror image (23 charges)
  • ivory walrus tusk scrimshawed with a map of the shackles (400gp)
  • harp made from the jaw of an orca (500gp)

  • Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
    Quote:
    The Rahadoumi sailors look silently on as the others cheer and Fishguts approaches you. So captains! Seems the Promise is yours and we're your crew now. He looks over at the press ganged lot and lowers his voice. I don't know what you plan on doing with them but if'n you're looking for an opinion I'd say to go easy on them if it please y'all. They only served Plugg cause they knew the plank awaited them if they didn't. They didn't even put up a fight below, just simply sat there while we watched them. I ain't vouching for 'em by any measure but they're just sailors looking for a ship in a storm.

    Xanxan smiles, "Aye, Fishguts. Your advice is solid." he whispers to his fellow 'captains' "Let me talk to the new ones... A few days and I should be able to sway most if not all to ourside entire. As for Tate and Jape... drop em off in Blood Cove. Tate nude as a jaybird, and Jape? He can keep his clothes as we do the same."

    Quote:
    Sandara wears a small smile as she leans jauntily against a railing. Orders, sirs?

    A grin, and Xanxan raises his voice "We'll sort out the whats what and who's who and so forth as time goes by, but for now? We make sail for Blood Cove. Among other things, we're going to pick up some DECENT rum for the crew!"


    Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

    Callum speaks softly to Xanxan, "Aye, it could work. Tha only worry be that word may get back te Harrigan by them two."

    He then turns to the crew, "Aye, Bloodcove it be. Fer the moment, tie these scalywags te the mast, an mayhap they can take turns in the box 'till we can put em off tha ship. The new un's whats been mistaken on which side te fall, can get te pumpin' the bilges and te scrubbin the deck. Fer the rest, them whats knows their posts, hop to it, we'll be settin out soon. An' by Besmara, as Xanxan says, we be gettin some proper ration."

    Can't remember the list of jobs, but the bad ones, like scrubbing the deck and pumping the bilges to the Rahadoumi, the other ones to the rest of the crew.

    Callum listens to the items Tylos' indicated. "If none o ye have a care," he says to his friends, the other 'Captains', as he picked up the cutlass, "I'll be takin that cutlass te replace the one what Plugg cost me in the drink." He then moves up to the wheel, to test its heft and action.


    Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
    Quote:
    Callum listens to the items Tylos' indicated. "If none o ye have a care," he says to his friends, the other 'Captains', as he picked up the cutlass, "I'll be takin that cutlass te replace the one what Plugg cost me in the drink." He then moves up to the wheel, to test its heft and action.

    "Seems right and proper enough. Makes no nevermind to me, I'd like fall over the side if I tried to swing it," The gnome'd grin doesn't seem to want to fade. "Be nice to do some tasks proper on a ship. Assuming we'll be going to bloodcove for similar reasons as Plugg was, what do we rename the girl?" he pats the ship. "I'd vote for The Sea Queen's Prize in honor of Besmara. We could use her good favor. Mind you, note I said prize not gift, for she surely made us fight for it."


    Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

    Callum chuckles, "My thinkin' was ye had it right when ye first named it te Plugg. The Nightmare, ye said. It has that certain ring te it that catches the imagination whats good te set fear in thems what we come against."


    Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

    "oooo..." Xanxan's eyes light up, "If that don't feed this sailor's sense of pride, nothing will. I do see your point. If we can scare folks as we pirate, half the battle might be won before we start. Nightmare is also fine by me, but then it would be." The gnome looks intrigued, then considers, "I hate rules and restrictions, so naturally I should write up some. I'll present them to you, my 'co captains' and see what you think of it. We'll hammer it out."


    Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

    Ko'ulu looks at the bespoiled deck and sighs. "How much time do we have before we get to Bloodcove? If we take the time to change the look of the ship, even Harrigan won't know what to look for. I like "The Nightmare" though." he says as he goes looking for gear to clean down the deck before the blood dries into the wood.

    "I don't know about this Co-captain thing. I never heard about any ship working by committee. I guess we can try it though."

    Ko'ulu is going to start working on cleaning up the top of the ship, sticky blood on the deck is gross in bare feet.


    As the crew scurries off to work, Fishguts approaches the group. Beggin' pardon. Might I suggest we make for Rickety's Squibs before we head straight for Bloodcove? Think Plugg might have had the right idea of squibbing the ship, least ways so Harrigan and his ilk won't recognize us if we were ever to meet them again. As he notices you all begin to recall the location Plugg was heading for and call out the new location, he gives you a nod and a wink as he moves off to check the galley of the ship. Guess I'll be seeing what kind of celebratory meal I can whip up with the stores on this junk, shall I?

    Just my little unsubtle reminder of where you need to go to get the ship squibbed. ;-)


    Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

    Oops. I thought Blood Cove was where we would get the ship squibbed . My mistake :o

    Xanxan nods, "Right you are, Mister Fishguts..." Xanxan grins, then speaks soft, "Tell me, what new members do you think are going to have the hardest time settling in? Have you learned their names of yet? We mean to be good officers and bring the joy back to pirating."

    As Rosie walks by, he whistles her over, "Rosie lass, a moment."
    Assuming she comes over.

    As Rosie asks him, in her own sweet colorful way just what the nine hells does the short little bastard want, sir. No doubt with a smile on her face, Xanxan explains, "We be working on a pirate code of our own, something for the ship to follow. Still up in the air, but if you would, spread word to the other ladies on board... the men will find no pleasure from you lasses lest you be willing, and if they oerly interfere with your duties as crew, you leave me know and I'll make sure I and the others'll settle their hash. If the lads want whores, they'll have to wait for shore leave. If they want lovers, well, they best be charming." He bows and winks at her. "Thought you might like that news."


    Male Human Sea Singer 1

    Tully swung himself into the main shrouds. Your attention, my friends!

    Ladies and Gentlemen! Friends and Strangers! The time has come to declare yourselves! A scant hour ago, you were all 'pressed men, driven under threat of lash and death! Now, I declare you all, each and every one, to be free! Free sailors of The Shackles!

    To you men, Tully nodded towards the Rahadoumi, I offer apologies! Yes, you have twice suffered at our hands! But, you have twice survived those encounters by our mercies! That goes doubly for the two of you! Tully stared hard at 'Narwhal' Tate and Jaundiced Jape in turn.

    You needn't ever fear again! Sail with us! Fight with us! And soon, we will all be surfeit with adventure and riches, wine and fair company! All the delights and debauchery that the free ports of The Shackles can offer us! So I say again, the time has come to declare yourselves!

    Tully swung down from the netting, walking briskly to the officer's cabin. After a few minutes rummaging, he emerged. He unfurled a small sheaf of parchment, and drawing his dagger, pinned it firmly to the mainmast. By signing this parchment, you name yourself a sailor of this fine ship, and under the command of her officers! You take on the duties and responsibilities of her sailing and defense! And you guarantee yourself a share of all her plunder!

    Tully held a quill up high, waiting to see if any would step forward...

    Perform (oratory): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25


    Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

    Ko'ulu sits back on his haunches to listen as Tully starts speechifying.

    "Woooo! Plunder!", Ko'ulu shouts, cheering on Tully excitedly, thumping the holystone on the deck.


    Male Human Sea Singer 1

    The seconds crept by... As they drew longer and longer, Tully deflated like the sails of a ship becalmed...

    Nobody...?

    Rosie shouldered her way brusquely to the front of the crowd. "F#&~s sake, lad! It's the first time anyone ever gave the bastards a choice in the matter! Give 'em a minute to wrap their dumbass heads around it! Hell's bells, I'll sign the damned thing if'n it'll keep you from lookin' like someone tossed your puppy overboard!"

    The tension of the moment broke like a wave against rocks. It became a jostling scrum to get to the mast and the parchment. In the midst of it, Fipps leaned in close, "I is not writin' so good."

    Tully nodded, whispering back, Just make your mark here, man. Tully dashed off the line, "Fipps Chumlett, his mark" beside which Fipps slashed a large X.

    A moment later, the amused voice of Sandara piped in. "Harrigan never realized where your true talent lay. If we set you behind the sails, no doubt you'd blow enough hot air to sail us straight through the Eye!"

    Tully bowed. My dearest Lady! There is certain to be some celebrating this evening after the work of the day is done. You were kind enough to offer a dance to the lofty Cook's Mate, once. Perhaps you've generosity enough to save a dance for a lowly officer?

    "Careful, there lad!" Sandara laughed. "If you shovel it on too deep, we'll never clear the bilges!" Still laughing, she dashed her name to the parchment and walked off to assume her duties.


    HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

    Jirobo claps with Tully's performance, raising his hand to the sky with a cry, "To freedom, friends. Freedom from the heavy hand of cruel masters. Freedom to sail where we want, when we want, and for what we want. To the Shackles!" Afterward, the tengu wanders off to look for some first aid supplies, even if its only strong proof liquor and rags for bandages. He'll come back with whatever haul he finds to start patching up those who took a few cuts or lumps with the mutiny.


    It was a slow process at first until some of your closer companions stepped forward loudly in support and then it was a quick rush as men and women signed their names under your charter. It was no mystery when Tate moved up that he was only going through the motions, the dwarf unable to hide his scowl and you all knew he would bear handling in some form or another soon enough. The mute Jape simply signed with a resigned shrug and took his place amongst the rest of the crew, his enmity seemingly forgotten with the change in management. Yet when all was said and done there was an almost festive mood amongst the crew as they slapped each other on the back and exclaimed loudly to each other the various exploits they would accomplish as pirates!

    Allowing them their moment of revelry, you eventually get the tasks assigned and the crew moves off with a purpose. Afterwards, the group of you move into the now vacant captain’s cabin and begin to discuss your plans. For while the vague talk of piracy amongst the crew was entertaining and encouraging to see, you’ve all quickly come to the realization that it will be anything but easy to survive.

    While you know you’ve got time, word will eventually reach Harrigan of your mutiny and you’ll have managed to anger one of the fiercest Free Captains of the Shackles. Squibbing the ship we’ll help mitigate the chances of you being recognized but Harrigan will still be looking for your blood long after. And as if Harrigan weren’t bad enough, the Shackles has a phrase for rooky pirates with no clout to their name. Fresh meat. Once the ship is squibbed, you all realize that the only way you’ll be able to keep the other pirates from thinking you’re easy game is to prove you’re not.

    It’s with these heavy thoughts that you make your way towards the coast. After 3 days of travel you spot land and begin to tack southeast along the coast, keeping a constant and wary eye for any sight of a ship. This far from the shipping lanes though you see no sight of a ship and it’s relatively smooth sailing. After another day down the coast you spot what appears to be the area you’re looking for based on Ambrose’s sketchy description.

    Rounding a tall headland peninsula reveals a hidden cove at the mouth of a wide jungle river, its sluggish brown waters staining the waters of the blue sea like an ugly bruise. A series of docks has been built upon this estuary, with buildings concealed beneath the overhanging limbs of the jungle beyond. A wooden watchtower stands upon the promontory of the headland, carefully concealed among the trees to provide a clandestine view of the seas in all directions.

    Sailing into the cove, you easily spot a large flag that rises quickly atop the tower, a red and yellow checkered flag that is quickly answered by a rising blue one from the town itself. Soon after a longboat begins to oar its way out into the cove until it pulls itself alongside the Promise. An older bald man looks up towards your ship while shielding his eyes from the sun as the six men who paddled out with him begin to secure the longboat to the side of your ship.

    Permission to come aboard?! Lower a rope so we can discuss terms, if you please.

    Welcome back! Everyone should be ready to go by this point, leveled up to 4. I’m still working on getting the campaign info tab updated for this next part but otherwise we’re ready to get started again. With the lapse in posting and the wonkiness of the boards, I’m understanding and expecting that some people might take a few days to find their way back so I just ask you to be patient with them and/or me as we get things going again in Part 2 of the Skull & Shackles AP: Raiders of the Fever Sea!


    Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

    During those three days of travel, Xanxan takes time to chat up and talk to the Rahadoumi sailors. On those days they get bilges, he casts prestidigitation to help get the grime off them. "Ain't anyone who hates the bilges more than I, so lest I can do is reward hard work on it with a bit of a quick cleanse." Slackers may find themselves struggling to find their own ways to clean up.

    Xanxan hopes to win their loyalties with charm and firm kindness.

    I leave any details to the GM, Xanxan has a weak spot for the ladies if any new crew are female, but he honestly wants to win all six over. Just take the best roll out of each pair.
    Charmer rogue trait, Diplomacy combo Day #1
    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

    Charmer rogue trait, Diplomacy combo Day #2
    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

    Charmer rogue trait, Diplomacy combo Day #3
    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

    He also keeps an ear out for how the crew scuttlebutt might be going. He particularly keeps an eye on Tate.

    Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
    Sense Motivation: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
    ------------

    Quote:

    Sailing into the cove, you easily spot a large flag that rises quickly atop the tower, a red and yellow checkered flag that is quickly answered by a rising blue one from the town itself. Soon after a longboat begins to oar its way out into the cove until it pulls itself alongside the Promise. An older bald man looks up towards your ship while shielding his eyes from the sun as the six men who paddled out with him begin to secure the longboat to the side of your ship.

    Permission to come aboard?! Lower a rope so we can discuss terms, if you please.

    Xanxan nods, "Aye. You bring us no trouble and we can do business."

    Quieter to Rosie, "Let em up one at a time, but keep an eye on the the ones that are quiet and make sure they don't try nothing funny. "


    (Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

    Tylos looks over the cove and the man in the longboat. Smiling he looks over to one of the others with smoother tongues to do the talking as they had agreed on the way here.


    Male Human Sea Singer 1

    The flags rose the masts, each one dipping once in acknowledgement of the other. Almost the moment that was done, a small skiff put out from a side dock filled with men. They knew there business well, and with the smallest amount of effort, swung their boat into the lee of the ship, quickly latching hold with boathooks.

    Tully watched impassively. He had no real station during normal sailing and was perfectly justified, at the moment, with hanging easily in the shrouds as Callum guided the ship into the harbor. Everything around him felt as placid and calm as the glassy sea. Nevertheless, he kept a wary eye on the boat and her crew.

    Perception Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
    Knowledge (local) Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

    Man in the boat wrote:
    Permission to come aboard?! Lower a rope so we can discuss terms, if you please.

    Sense Motive - Versatile Performance (oratory):1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

    Xanxan Gimblewabe wrote:
    Aye. You bring us no trouble and we can do business.

    Tully casually slid down to the deck. Any parley that required them to "discuss terms" would require his attendance. Tully grabbed a single coil of rope and tossed it to the man in the sternsheets. Can you give us your word that you bring no fever or mortal ague aboard our ship? he laid the lightest stress upon those last words. I fear we've little in the way of deck space, as we re-reeve the standing rigging. Sadly, this means we can only receive you and one of your mates. The rest will have to make themselves as comfortable as possible riding our lee. Your pardon, of course.

    DMJ:
    I changed my skills slightly from my post earlier. I dropped 1 point from acrobatics and climb, and put them into appraise. These were points gained at the new level, so nothings changed from previous levels. I'm just playing a hunch that this will be useful in outfitting the ship. Also, I'm strongly considering taking levels in the Inner Sea Pirate prestige class, and this is a prereq.


    Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

    Tully:
    Tully wrote:
    I'm strongly considering taking levels in the Inner Sea Pirate prestige class, and this is a prereq.

    Me too! ;) It's an interesting class and has many options for different styles.

    Callum smiles as he guided the ship into cove, his hands lovingly gripping the wheel. Despite gaining a likely enemy in Harrigan, these past three days had been good. He had left his old ship in search of something more and, after nearly a month of hardship under those scalywags Plugg and Scourge, he found it. Good friends and a ship to call their own. Life was good.

    Barking orders to reef the sails to bring the Promise up short and allow the longboat to approach, he tied down the wheel and moved down to the others to 'greet' their guests.

    "If ye be here representin' Rickety Squibs, I be thinkin' we got much te chat about."


    HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

    Jirobo calls out the flags as they appeared from his perch atop the main mast crow's nest. The last few days had passed in relative ease with the tengu tending to everyones' lingering ailments on the ship which went from numerous to few as there were no more Scourge and Plugg to tear down the body and mind. Jirobo slides down the ropes to land on the deck as the boarder is making his way up over the side of the ship.


    What the hell?! I posted a response after Tylos but not only does it not show up anymore, I also don't see any indication of the rest of your posts on my games list. Friggin' boards!!!

    The older man climbs up the side of the Promise along with one of the oarsmen from the boat. The old man is unarmed and all the oarsmen carry are dirks stuffed into their waists. Looking you over and listening to your questions the bald man gives a laugh.

    Hah!, if you lads are worried about trouble you might want to rethink sailing the waters of the Shackles. Trouble's all you're bound to find. As far as sickness, there ain't much more'n a case a crabs amongst my men. The oarsmen on the ship laughs loudly and calls out a colorful remark to the ones waiting below who laugh at each other.

    Seeing Callum come down from the wheel, he nodded at his question with a smile. Seein' as I'm Rickety Hake, I think it's safe to assume I represent Rickety's Squibs. So captain of what I assume will soon be formerly known as the Man's Promise, what exactly can I help you with?

    (Based on all your various rolls.) Rickety seems an honest enough person for the Shackles and doesn't seem to have any hidden agenda or feelings so far. Given the lack of armament of his men he'd be hard pressed to try to take the ship by force. You know that he's actually fairly well liked amongst the various pirate factions because everyone's used his services at one point or another and he's in turn as fair as any merchant in his dealings with the various pirates, not having any sides. It'd be a quick and easy way to have the majority of the Shackles come down you if you were to kill him for no reason.


    Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

    The gnome smiles, "Well, I think he's guessed right off what we'd be wanting." Xanxan addresses Rickety, "This is a fine ship, but the name and look o her need a change. Rumor has you're the man to turn her for a fair price and keep liptight about it."


    Male Human Sea Singer 1
    DM Jonasty wrote:
    Seein' as I'm Rickety Hake, I think it's safe to assume I represent Rickety's Squibs. So captain of what I assume will soon be formerly known as the Man's Promise, what exactly can I help you with?

    We greet you in peace, Master Hake. I am Young Tully, Quartermaster of the fair ship, nee Man's Promise. I think you've guessed rightly. But business, I've always found is best discussed over a drink. We've had not but rotgut bilgewater since this voyage began. Perhaps there is a more comfortable place to hammer out the details?

    I meant to put this in my last post, but during the voyage to Rickety's Squibs, Tully will do a thorough and careful inventory of the ship and all its cargo and supplies.

    Rolls for knowledge, etc., to help with negotiations for squibbing the ship:
    Appraise: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
    Knowledge (engineering): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
    Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
    Versatile Performance (oratory) - Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22
    Profession (sailor): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


    Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

    Callum smiles. "Aye, as they say, ye have it aright. The Man's Promise be a promise to no man 'ere an' so we be needin' te make some changes. Somethin te better suit our tastes. Can we assume ye be takin' payment in spoils as much as coin?"


    As soon as you indicate your intentions for the ship, Rickety immediately begins roaming up and down her decks, leaning over the side at various places to look over the hull of the ship. The whole time he mutters to himself strings of numbers and info, listening in you recognize about 1 in 3 words and the math is quickly lost on some of you. After about 30 minutes, he moves back to the center of the deck.

    Alright, she seems a good and sound vessel and I can for sure help you get her redressed nicely. It'll take me about 6 or 7 days to complete the work and you're looking at 2,000 gold for all of it, a fair price to be sure. If you want, while I'm at it I can install you some smuggling compartments into the hull, 500 gold a piece but ain't no one gonna find what you hide in them and it shouldn't take me any more time! Or if you have any other requests we can negotiate a price although it will add to the work for sure.

    To be clear on specific numbers and info. You guys have a 3 masted sailing ship (S&S Player's guide pg 25). It will cost you 2000gp to squib it and it will take 6/7 days. You can add 5-foot smuggling compartments into the hull for 500gp per compartment with no increase to the work time. Additional modificaitons may be bought from the S&S player's guide if you have the money and want to add the extra time.


    Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

    Xanxan looks to Callum, "Seems we've got a bit of a stayover, Captain." He looks to Rickety, "if a tired sailor might ask, what's about here a lad could do while he's waiting for those days? And is there any able bodied sailors looking for a crew to join?"


    Male Human Sea Singer 1

    Her trim and lines are good, but I can't help but notice she gripes as she swings. Often, it is necessary to let her head drop off a point or two before we tack. That can hardly improve when she's fully laden, I would think. I suspect her rudder is a touch too narrow for her breadth. What would be the time and cost required to install a new one more suited to her frame?

    Just some fluff for the gameplay thread.


    After a few minutes of discussion on prices and modifications, you finally reach a deal with Rickety. He spits in his palm and offers it to Callum, who returns the gesture. Rickety's man climbs back down into the longboat with the rest of them and they begin making their way back towards the small settlement.

    Rickety stays aboard your ship and directs you to follow the longboat. Follow my lads up into the estuary. From there I'll have a few small cutters tow the ship into the drydock proper. As you approach the settlement you can see a massive roofed building next to the water which can only be the drydock. A number of small docks jut out into the water and soon enough a few small cutters come out and Rickety's men begin climbing up on to the ship to begin bringing her in.

    Rickety climbs down a rope ladder into a waiting boat and indicates that you all and the crew should follow. There are a number of vessels that line the Promise to ferry everyone over. Grabbing what possessions you want to bring, you and the crew descend and are quickly ferried over to the shore.

    Moving through the small village you see what was once a grand building with broad wings extending from its ground floor at the end of the docks. An octagonal dome rises above the roof and is capped by a cupola. It was obviously a fine villa in its day but time and the harsh sun and rains of the Slithering Coast have faded its paint and cracked its boards, leaving it a gray ghost of its former self.

    A painted board above the veranda names it as Rickety's Squibs. Smaller less grandiose hovels and sheds clapped together of flotsam and jetsam surround the larger building and merge into the jungle behind it. Men and women, mostly human, move around slowly in the heat as you head up to the large building. The jungle canopy above provides some welcome respite from the oppressive sun but you're still soked in sweat within moments.

    As you enter the main foyer of the building Rickety waves an arm around him. Welcome to the Commons folks. You are all free to stay here while we work on your ship free of charge. Any food or drink, or if you need any equipment, will need to be purchased from the "market" here but the rooms are on the house. We've got a decent enough taproom if you fancy a drink or two. Otherwise take your ease and we'll get to work post haste. With that Rickety leaves you to your devices and begins gathering some of his workers to start planning the work on the ship.

    The Commons has a "market" of sorts, so you can sell any loot you may want and buy some things as well. There are plenty of people around if you're looking to shore up your crew, you can attempt to hire some of them. The rooms are pretty run down but they're ok, you know that Rickety stays in the building as well as some of the other townsfolk but the majority of them live in the huts outside.

    If you want to do any shopping or other activities let me know. What I really need to know is what everyone's general plan is for the next 6-7 days while the ship is being worked on? I don't need anything super specific, if you just want to while away the days drinking and playing cards, just indicate that. Just want to have an idea of what people are doing.

    901 to 950 of 1,114 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>
    Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMJ's Skull & Shackles, Part 1: The Wormwood Mutiny All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.

    ©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.