Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DMJ's Skull & Shackles

Game Master Jonasty1031

Adventure and danger on the high seas! Can you claim your own Pirate destiny in the Shackles?

Current Map


601 to 650 of 1,114 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>

(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Tylos goes on deck with a bit of trepidation, unsure as to what the day will bring. Still, he thinks, it's a far sight better than being naked strapped to a barrel in the middle of the ocean.

Seeing the man identified as Mr. Plugg, he bobs his head in answer and says Aye aye, Mr. Plugg. before shutting his mouth again.

Looking around, he notices a pretty human woman motioning him towards her. Going over, Tylos notices the small symbol of Besmara around her neck and immediately puts two and two together from his earlier conversations below.

You must be Sandara? My eternal thanks for your assistance with saving my life. The others mentioned that without your healing I might have succumbed. It appears we will be working together today which is fortuitous in the timing allowing me to give you said acknowledgement and gratitude. I am also in your debt for helping me not to look a fool today in my errands. The heat of the sun is baking his skin and he relishes every opportunity to go on a task below deck.

Acrobatics DC 10 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Con check DC 10 1d20 ⇒ 18

Well that's a good start! :-)


Tylos, don't forget a Daily Ship Action as well, if you plan on taking one.


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

I suppose he will probably just work diligently for the first day to try and keep his head down. He wants to avoid being thrown back into the sea if at all possible lol.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Barroom Talespinner - Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Perform (Sing): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

Fishguts was busy prepping the meal, and had Tully tasked at simple chores. Tully tried to stay in the scant shade afforded by the mainsail as he de-tangled and mended the fishnets. There was little going on around him aside from the rhythmic hammering of Ko'ulu and Jirobo repairing the deck boards.

As he worked, he began unconsciously singing to himself. An officer, with whom Tully had not yet become acquainted, was passing. He stopped and turned to Tully. "You, there. Cook's mate. What's that you're singing?"

Tully had to think for several seconds to put a name to the tune. Oh. It was, I believe, the Dirge of the Candlesticks. It's the story of a crazed captain who lit his topmasts aflame to shed light for a coming battle.

"I know the story. How does a lubber like you know it?"

I'm sorry, but I couldn't say... I'm a bit of a collector of stories, you see.

"Well, shut it! You're massacring the tune!" Random Officer Roll: 1d4 ⇒ 4

"Oh, I didn't think it was that bad." Tully turned to see the gnome Conchobar Shortstone busily scrubbing the deck nearby.

Thank you, good Mister Shortstone. Tully bowed over his tangled nets. I fear I will always be the "lubber" aboard this ship. While you, it seems, have always impressed with your seamanship.

Influence Action - Bluff + Bonuses: 1d20 + 3 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 3 + 5 = 28


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

"Ah, Shivikah, you should have seen him. Ko'Ulu caught more crabs than a sailor in a bordello, and during the fight with the Reefclaws? He moved like a sealion. Twas amazing to watch," Xanxan explains to her, happy to add fuel to the fire as it were.

While he is tempted to go chat other folks up, the venom's damage has him feeling a bit puny-er than normal. So he focuses on his work, and is grateful for the aid he's getting in doing it.

using Con bonus, plus diligence and help for a total of...
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum steps onto the deck and staggers under the heat. Seeing Plugg point at the rigging, Callum moves to climb. Here be hopin' the breeze off the ocean can cool me down.

"Crazy man, what you wearin' the armor for? It not hot enough for you?" Maheem asks smiling as he climbed up beside Callum in the rigging. Callum opened his mouth with a witty retort but choked on it as a gust of hot air entered his lungs setting him to coughing. Maheem slapped him on the back, laughing as they began their work.

Climb checks:

Wearing armor
Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 = 0 ft
Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 = 7.5 ft
Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12 = 15 ft
Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24 = 22.5 ft
Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 = 30 ft
Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16 = 37.5 ft
Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 = 45 ft
Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18 = 52.5 ft

Profession (sailor) DC 10: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 7 + 2 = 26

Halfway through the shift, Callum moves down to the the water barrel to get a drink and cool down. Turning to Aretta who was approaching, "This heat be like the fires o' hell. I don't envy ye swabs what workin' down 'ere. Leastways, I can catch a breeze on occasion, even if it be like a blast o' fire lickin' at me nether regions. Here," he said offering a full ladle of water, "take yer fill o' this. Nothin' like hot water on a hot day te cure what ails ye."

Influence - Diplomacy DC 20+Cha: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 6 + 2 = 22


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo tries to alleviate the scorching heat of the sun by humming a soft tune as he works beside Cog, but his dry tongue soon makes it hard to produce even a whistle from his parched mouth. Every so often he closes his eyes and prays for the winds to send cooling relief across the deck to no avail. His surly comrade doesn't say much beyond a grunt here and there so the tengu matches him in his disposition.

Day Action: Work Diligently
Profession (Sailor) Check: 1d20 + 8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 4 + 2 = 22


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Despite the opressive heat Ko'ulu is in his usual good spirits. Every so often he leans out over the edge of the ship and looks down to the ship's shadow, watching fish gather in the shade.

"Birdy, Jak, Cog, today looks to be a good day, no matter how bad the heat is!" Ko'ulu claps Jirobo on the back with obvious glee.

"Look at the fish Jak, they are all hiding from the sun under the boat. They be easy fishing today!" Ko'ulu claps his hands together. "Yes, today I will teach you good fishing techniques!"

Profession, Sailor +assistance -shirk for fishing1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 8 - 2 = 26

As they work, carving out bad wood, rebuilding railings, cutting new spars and fixing planking, Ko'ulu describes fish, how they think and why they act the way they do. He tells Jak all about the fish hiding in the shade of the boat, to stay cool and hunt the little fish that like the darkness.

Every so often he takes Jak to the railing and shows him how to bait and put out line. Then, as he starts bringing up fish after fish, he shows Jak how to use the offal as bait for the next fish.

Profession, Fisher 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Soon, Ko'ulu has a decent pile of fresh fish, which he takes to Fishguts.

"Ho! Fishguts. I have bright-eyed fishes, freshly caught and gutted for you. Do you want them now or want me to set up a drying pole? Heat like this, it might only take a few hours to dry them out."

After a short consultation, Ko'ulu leaves the fish with Fishguts, waving at the very busy Tully on the way back out to the deck.


Tylos, Xanxan and Jirobo work hard through the heat, focusing on completing their tasks so as to avoid the lash in the evening.

Tully:
The man moves off without another word although his eyes shoot hate towards you, more so than a simple butchering of a song would indicate. Kroop lowers his voice and leans towards you. It's hard to tell where that man's head ends and Plugg's arse begins. Give a care with him, as you would Plugg or Scourge.

You notice Conchobhar watching your little dressing down by the officer and use it to your advantage. You can see the gnome visibly struggle not to preen as you compliment his pirating skills and he gives you a respectful nod as you return back to the galley.

You just managed to bring Conchobhar up from Unfriendly all the way to Friendly! Also, with your random officer check, since you wrote it as a "he" perspective, I'm using your random dice roll for the two male officers remaining, which would be the second of the two on the list.

Callum:
Aretta takes the ladle gladly and dumps a scoop full of water over her head before taking another lalde full to drink from. Hotter in hells, you're right for sure. She gives you a look as she passes the ladle back before moving on. Some men would argue there's better cures for some ails but it's nice to see you ain't one of 'em.

You've shifted Aretta from Unfriendly to Indifferent.

Ko'ulu:
As you bring your haul down into the galley, Kroop gives you a laugh. Well that's certainly fresh enough, fresher for sure than what I was gonna make. Much obliged and I'll spread the word that you's what deserves the thanks for the bounty this evening.

If you choose to take the Influence action as your Night Time Ship action in the evening, you may add a +2 bonus to the check for your success in providing some fresh food for dinner.

Sorry for the delay, internet at work has been hating on the boards. Update coming shortly.


The day winds down and food and rum are soon served. It's an especially enjoyable meal as it's the first time in a long while that none of you faced the lash during bloody hour. It helped that Ko'ulu and Callum were sleeping off the whippings the other night but regardless of how you got there, it was a welcome feeling that helped perk up your spirits.

Rum rolls for those that drink:
Callum: +1d4 ⇒ 2 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 4 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Xanxan: +1d4 ⇒ 4 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 5 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Ko'ulu: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 6 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Tylos: +1d4 ⇒ 2 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 2 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 ⇒ 1
Jirobo: +1d4 ⇒ 4 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 5 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Tully: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 7 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 ⇒ 5

The crew settles in for a quiet evening, made all the more mellow by the pervasive heat that was barely abating as the sun sank. Hopefully the following day would bring some reprieve.

Please post your Day 12 Night Time Ship Action(s).


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum quietly dumps his rum, taking care not to spill it on someone. He glances around, unsure if he was spotted. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I'll either get another chance te get caught, or I'll be sleepin'.

Stealth DC ?: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Savouring the freshly caught and cooked fish, Callum smiles at Ko'ulu, "Well, don' that beat all. Fresh food two nights in a row, an' it be cooked te perfection. Well done sir, I doff me hat te ye."

After finishing his meal, Callum moves over to Syl. "Tell me, lass, I know ye don' have much like fer the dance, that much be clear. How ye were able te avoid the boy's advances I don' know. But no matter, what is it ye do te keep sane on this here vessel with no little bit o' celebratin'? An' please don' tell me it's the rotgut whats helpin'."

Influence - Diplomacy DC 15+Cha: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 2 = 27


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Xanxan enjoys a really great meal. Is glad for a lack of lashings.
But the gnome is torn between going places he shouldn't or just laying there in the heat.
He tries to sneak away the rum again.

Stealth
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

Not sure I can take things much longer... a gnome needs change, excitement, fun...and it's been a whole day since an overgrown sea roach tried to kill me. Still, I'm weak, and picking locks and risking a run ain't wise under that condition.

Turning to Aretta , just because she's near by, he admits, "Been a sailor near all my life. Neer been a pirate. Aren't we supposed to be raiding somewhat or someone? You ever pirated another ship?" He's honestly curious and trying to be amiable.

Night action, influence: Using Charmer so best of two rolls, and the plus 2 mentioned in NPC section is counted in.
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu salutes Callum with his spoon, flinging a few bits of rice around.

Then the rum is poured once more.

Do I get whipped again? They want me to drink, they are forcing me to drink, but I don't trust them...I don't trust that they don't drink when we do. We should all drink together, it is good, proper...traditional. They way the gods intended. I really don't know what to do...except get whipped again. And I am not about to lie about it.

Ko'ulu carries the rum around for the rest of the evening, torn with indecision. He wanders over to where several sailors are tossing the Hog across the deck. He winces when it impacts the decking, knowing that he is going to be sanding the marks out the next morning.

Well I am going to be repairing that tomorrow anyways...

"I will play...how much do we wager?"

Ko'ulu wagers a gold then throws the hog.

Night action: Gamble, Hog Lob 1d20 + 6 - 4 ⇒ (1) + 6 - 4 = 3


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Tylos drops to the deck when his shift is up, tired and sore but alive. He murmurs a few words and his clothes clean themselves. Cast Prestidigitation.

When he gets his meal he looks down in wonder at the fresh caught fish. Well I sure didn't expect to be dining this well when I was brought on board. My complements to the chef!

When his rum is passed to him Tylos wrinkles his nose at it and begins to decline but when he sees Sandara give the slightest shake of the head he takes the cup. After being so dehydrated he does not want to have anything with alcohol to drink for fear of exacerbating the issue and stunting his recovery. Thinking quickly he uses the spell he had already active and creates a crude thin covering over the rum in his cup and makes a big show of "draining" his rum before placing the cup in his pocket. Let me know what, if any, kind of roll you need for this. I figured since my stealth is abysmal I might be able to supplement it with a bit of magic. If that's not ok that's fine too though. :-) I can't imagine that would work more than once or twice lol.

Also do you think I could do an entertain roll with a magical display of some sort? Maybe not today but I'd like to be able to do that at some point if it is cool. Again if not that's fine too. If I can then that is what I will do but if not then I will gamble a little bit with Ko'ulu, placing a gold on him to win.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully enjoyed the meal that Ko'ulu and Fishguts had provided. Unfortunately, the day was far too hot for him to begin another impromptu dance upon deck. So, he spent the last hours of the doldrums lounging within the eave of the railing, to stay out of the dying rays of the sun. A few of the crew wandered over to speak, but mostly he spent the evening in silent reverie.

As night fell in earnest, it was clear that by staying out of sight and silent, most of the officers had decided to pay him very little attention. Staying to the shadow of the railing, he slipped in behind one of the officers as he entered as small cabin of which Tully had seen very little.

Stealth Roll for Rum: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Night Action - Searching Section A4a - Sneak: Stealth Check:: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Perception (Take 20): 20 + 3 = 23


Callum:
At your words Syl blushes a deep red, slugging back her rum and sputtering a bit on the brew. Coughing herself clear, she gives you an appreciative look. Guess I could learn to dance, if'n it was with a suitable partner. Her face flames up again and she moves off quickly, but not before giving you a smile over her shoulder.

You shifted Syl from Indifferent to Helpful.

Xanxan:
Aretta gives a laugh at your question. Here's a little tip squirt. What they don' tell you bout being a pirate is that there's plenty of boredom as well, it ain't all pillaging an' robbin'. I'm guessing soon enough cap'n'll have something for us. And when he does, you'll get your loot I tell you!

You shifted Aretta from Indifferent to Helpful.

Ko'ulu:
1d20 ⇒ 16

Tilly scoops up your coin after her toss landed a number of feet further than yours, giving you a wry grin and a good natured ribbing. Don't worry hun, I'm sure a woman beating you isn't always a bad thing. Just this time!

You lost your 1 gp.

Tylos: I've seen some board posts on the supreme versatility of Prestidigitation which I happen to agree with. Both of your proposed uses are fine. Mechanically for the hiding of the rum, you'll cast the spell which will allow you a Bluff check instead of Stealth to pretend that you're drinking it. Then you can dump it later in secret. For the entertain check, you can make a Spellcraft check, same DC 20 as the normal Entertain check would be, to simulate your successful weaving of an entertaining illusion or similar. Go ahead and make the rolls now since we're still waiting on Jirobo to post.

Tully:
Keeping a low profile, you position yourself near the door to the unexplored area and when one of the officers you haven't met goes in, you manage to wedge your foot in place and scan the room while the woman's back is to you.

Your eyes take in the Wormwood's armory and it is rather well stocked. Weapons are stacked meticulously along all the walls and there are chests on the floor which doubtless contain other items of interest. As the woman turns to leave you remove your foot to let the door shut and as you do you notice her resetting a wicked looking harpoon rigged to skewer anyone opening the door carelessly.

Because of the way you described your exploration, I deciced to be generous and give you the results of your search. Cause otherwise normally you would have noticed the trap/locked door and not been able to do anything lacking Disable Device as you are. So huzzah to you for bypassing a trap/locked door by use of excellent RP description. :-)

I'll give Jirobo another hour or two to post his action otherwise we'll move on from there.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo enjoys the fish at the evening repast, gobbling down his portion with finger-licking satisfaction afterward. The tengu wishes to show his appreciation for the meal to Ko'ulu so goes off to find the man. Jirobo takes the time on his way over to dump his rum as well. Once up beside Ko'ulu, Jirobo taps him on the arm while he watches others throwing around a heavy pigskin object, "Many thanks for delicious fish tonight, friend Ko'ulu. It was very good to eat things other than stew." The tengu takes a gander at the game they are playing, fishing out a coin of his own to give it a try. Mother is already going to be very mad that I'm this late, she couldn't get any madder if I lose one coin of the grocery fund.

Jirobo steps up, hefting the greased 'hog' carefully in his hands as he winds up and slings it as hard as he can.

CMB vs Hog: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 2 - 4 = 16
Stealth Check vs Rum: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Spellcraft check to Entertain the crew. 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Bluff check which ends up being worse than my stealth lol 1d20 ⇒ 6 looks like I'm getting lashed lol.

After attempting to hide not drinking his rum, Tylos moves around the crew, introducing himself and putting on minor performances with his magic. If he still has an illusion spell in memory then he will create fantastical illusions of dancing women, ship battles, and sea monsters. If he doesn't he will create minor lights and enhance the flavor of the food, putting a literal twinkle in his eye, sound effects that make noises of stomping boots and making it sound like peoples mugs of rum are humming to them.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

"Good toss Birdy! You did much better than I did today!"


Jirobo:
1d20 ⇒ 18

You hurl your pigskin and watch as it lands just short of the one thrown by Rosie. She gives you a smile as she reaches for your gold piece. Better luck next time tweety.

You lose 1 gp.


Prep rolls:

Tully:
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 5
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 5
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 14
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 20

Callum:
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 5
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 14
1d20 ⇒ 6
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 6
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 5
1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 3

Ko'ulu:
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 6
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 5
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 11

Tylos:
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 6

Xanxan:
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 14
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 14
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 12

Jirobo:
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 14
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 6
1d20 ⇒ 5
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 5
1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 11


The next morning brings a welcome relief from the heat as the temperature seems to have returned to normal. Still a warm day, the wind is blowing strong and the heat isn't oppressive. Climbing up on deck, you are greeted with the sight of the ship's longboat being lowered into the water.

Plugg calls you all forward. Standing next to him is a dark skinned woman with a nose that has broken on more than one occasion. Tully recognizes her as the woman he saw in the armory the night before. This is Riaris, the Wormwood's gunner and master-at-arms. You lot have managed to learn how to work on a ship, now it's about time you learned how to take one! You give her 100% or you'll wish you had.

Riaris motions for you to follow her and she proceeds to climb down the ropes along the side of the ship and into the longboat. After you climb aboard, you each grab an oar and begin rowing a short ways away from the Wormwood. She calls a halt and you sit floating about 40 feet away from the ship.

If you're to plunder a damn ship, you better f&**ing be able to take it first! You c#@!s seem like strong enough sailors but that don't mean s#~@ to me! It's f$*%ing simple enough, throw the grappling hook, tie of the rope and then get your lazy asses up to the ship! It won't be a simply sail though, as you'll have to deal with some of the crew throwing s%*$ at you, and I do mean literal s@%* in some cases! This will give you a taste of what it's like in the chaos of battle! So get to it and don't you dare fall off those ropes ladies! Riaris's tirade makes Rosie sound like a chaste monk by comparison.

Alright, here's the mechanics. Normally you would need to make an attack roll to get the grappling hook to set and then tie off the rope to the longboat. To save time, just assume you succeed. The AC to hit is 5, so if you want to actually roll and see how well you did, go for it.

The real checks are the Climb checks to get to the Wormwood. Each round you can make 2 climb checks, each DC 15. Each success means you move 7.5 feet up the rope. At 40 feet from the ship, this means you need 6 successful climb checks to make it to the ship, if everything goes smoothly. If you fail the check, you make no progress. If you fail by 5 or more, you fall in the water and have to do it over again.

Additionally, each round you are being pelted at with s~%#, water, empty bottles, and other odds and ends from the ship. If I indicate you are hit with something in a certain round, you must make a Reflex save, DC 10 or lose your grip and fall in the water.

Whether through failed climb checks or failed ref saves, you ultimately get 3 attempts to make it to the ship. If you fail the third time, you simply wait in the longboat and row back with Riaris after it's over. I am giving you all the mechanics around this so that you can make a bunch of rolls all at once and you can write your own detailed post on how well or poorly you do. Have fun with it! Once everyone has either made it to the ship or failed 3 times, I will update from there.

Rounds you need to make Ref saves while climbing. Rounds past 6 are included in case you need them due to failed climb checks, falling in, etc. If you fall in or need to restart, simply use the next round count in your list.

Tully:
Rounds 1, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17

Callum:
Rounds 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 15, 16

Ko'ulu:
Rounds 1,2,4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17

Tylos:
Rounds 1, 2 ,3 ,4 ,6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17

Xanxan:
Rounds 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 11, 12, 14, 15

Jirobo:
Rounds 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 12, 13, 15

If you have questions feel free to ask, otherwise I look forward to seeing how well (or not) you do.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Climb and Reflex Checks:
Round 1.1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13 0ft
Round 1.2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18 7.5ft
Round 2.1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12 7.5ft
Round 2.2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11 7.5ft
Round 2, Ref: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 Fall in water.
Round 3.1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 Fall in water.
Round 3.2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10 0ft
Round 3, Ref: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Round 4.1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 Fall in water.
Round 4.2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 0ft
Round 4, Ref: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Round 5.1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16 0ft
Round 5.2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 0ft
Round 5, Ref: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Round 6.1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 0ft
Round 6.2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 0ft
Round 6, Ref: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Round 7.1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21 0ft
Round 7.2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19 0ft

Jirobo frowns at the line in front of him. He had little luck with the rigging and while this was over nice soft water, it appeared just more of the same. The tengu gulps as he grips the rope and starts to shimmy out onto it. He quickly makes a little progress up the rope but then gets stuck on the rope. Unable to pull his frame further up the rope, Jirobo becomes a literal sitting duck for the debris the crew still on the Wormwood fling down at them in droves. With a meaty thunk, a bottle smashes into Jirobo's face that sends him tumbling down into the water with a splash.

Jirobo surfaces and paddles back to the boat to give it another try. The next attempt is even less successful as the tengu slips right off the wet rope before even being able to let out more than a brief squawk. A bit of offal pelts the tengu in the head as he surfaces again, the man who made the lucky shot starts laughing on deck, betting he could get Jirobo a second time. Fully demoralized, Jirobo drags himself back on to the longboat and gives it one final attempt. As he dodges the followup shot from the braggard up above, Jirobo misjudges his grip on the rope and tumbles off into the sea once more.

Finally finished, Jirobo barely pulls himself up onto the longboat and just lays there panting.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Dice:

Climb 1 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Reflex 1 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
SPLOOSH!
Climb 2 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Reflex 2 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Climb 3 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Climb 4 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Reflex 4 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Climb 5 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Reflex 5 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Climb 6 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Reflex 6 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Climb 7 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Reflex 7 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
YARRRRR!!!!

Ko'ulu shrugged at Riaris' tirade. Dockside fishwives were both louder and more inventive. However, as Ko'ulu gazed up at the ship, he thought This looked to be a bit more interesting. He could hear the crew murmering and snickering, just out of sight, and safely out of the way of the grapples.

Ko'ulu stood in the boat at Riaris' command, balancing low as he got some spin up on the rope. Two quick rotations and he released, sending the iron hooks over the railing to clank on the deck. He pulled fast, and the hooks dug into the wood. Ko'ulu winced, knowing that he would soon have to repair more damage. Focusing, he took the line in hand and swung from the boat to the side of the ship, skimming the waves across the short distance.

He quickly got his feet under himself and started walking up the side of the ship, watching carefully as he placed his feet.

CRACK! Something hard bounced off his skull and he spun down into the water, the sounds of laughter drifting from the crew above.

Ko'ulu glared up at them and grimaced, planted his feet and climbed. Refuse, bottles, chunks of rotted wood and worse pelted down. Ko'ulu merely gritted his teeth and continued stomping his way upward as the items bounced off of him. It seemed like it took forever, but soon he was at the railing and pulled himself over the edge. A particular fetid piece of fishguts slid off his chest and plopped on the deck as he stood panting from the exertion.

Ignoring the garbage tossers, Ko'ulu turned and watched the rest of the crew climbing.

"Plant your feet and pull like you mean it!" Ko'ulu shouts encouragingly.


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Tylos looks over at Riaris in horror as she points to him to go. How in the nine hells am I going to do this? he thinks. Looking it over he abruptly smiles and a fifty foor long curved black wall of smoke appears 5 feet out from the ship, blocking those on the rail from seeing those on the rope. Once that is done, he climbs onto the rope and all of a sudden is 5 feet up the rope. He was in one spot and then the next. He continues this all the way up to the ship.

Since he is not actually climbing and teleporting the whole way up and is somewhat protected from the debris by the wall would he still need to make checks? If you still want me to make them, they are below. I just thought Tylos's mind would go for the less obvious solution to his weakness lol.

Climb Checks:
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6

Reflex:
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


Tylos: Could you please elaborate on how you're generating the wall of smoke? The teleporting thing I take to be your shift ability but I didn't see how you generated the smoke. That being said, the wall of smoke could work as you expect assuming I determine how you did it, etc. If so, that will negate the need for the Ref saves potentially, or at least provide you with a possible bonus.

As far as the teleporting with Shift idea, you're going to end up making the climb checks either way. You can use the Shift idea but the teleportations are not instantaneous so you'd have to grab the rope when you appear each time. Or you could use Acrobatics to balance on the rope but the DC would be a lot higher than 15. (I know you were think of a Nightcrawler Bamf! scenario but it's not gonna turn out exactly that way. Although cool visual lol.)

If I need more checks from you I'll let you know but otherwise I just need confirmation on the wall of smoke thing and I'll go from there.


Also to clarify based on Ko'ulu's post, you're not climbing up the side of the ship. One end of the rope is fastened to the long boat, the other is grappled on to the Wormwood. So you're shimmying up a taught rope line over open water. Ko'ulu, your post is fine because regardless of the description you made the right checks so huzzah to you sir but just to clarify for everyone else who maybe need to get inventive with how they'll accomplish this.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Boarding Action:
Throwing the Grappling Hook: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (9) - 2 = 7
1. Reflex 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
1. Climb 0 ft. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
2. Climb 7.5 ft 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
3. Splash! 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Second Attempt
4. Reflex 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
4. Climb 7.5 ft. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
5. Climb 7.5 ft. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
6. Reflex 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
6. Splash!
Third Attempt
7. Climb 7.5 ft. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
8. Reflex 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
8. Climb 7.5 ft. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
9. Splash! 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Tully leaped to the task with exuberance! This was the kind of game he had been waiting for ever since he began the journey to The Shackles!

He didn't make it even ten feet out of the longboat.

Embarrassed, he climbed back and made another attempt. Just as he reached the point where he had fallen earlier, a rotten tomato smashed into his face, startling him, and he took another spill into the drink.

His third try left him coughing water and beginning to regret the belief that he was suitable pirate material...


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)
DM Jonasty wrote:

The next morning brings a welcome relief from the heat as the temperature seems to have returned to normal. Still a warm day, the wind is blowing strong and the heat isn't oppressive. Climbing up on deck, you are greeted with the sight of the ship's longboat being lowered into the water.

Plugg calls you all forward. Standing next to him is a dark skinned woman with a nose that has broken on more than one occasion. Tully recognizes her as the woman he saw in the armory the night before. This is Riaris, the Wormwood's gunner and master-at-arms. You lot have managed to learn how to work on a ship, now it's about time you learned how to take one! You give her 100% or you'll wish you had.

"Aye, sir,"Xanxan finds it funny that with his talk last night of real pirating, now it looks like the very next day they're trying to teach him some of it.

Quote:

Riaris motions for you to follow her and she proceeds to climb down the ropes along the side of the ship and into the longboat. After you climb aboard, you each grab an oar and begin rowing a short ways away from the Wormwood. She calls a halt and you sit floating about 40 feet away from the ship.

If you're to plunder a damn ship, you better f*~~ing be able to take it first! You c!#!s seem like strong enough sailors but that don't mean s&+@ to me! It's f$+~ing simple enough, throw the grappling hook, tie of the rope and then get your lazy asses up to the ship! It won't be a simply sail though, as you'll have to deal with some of the crew throwing s&&! at you, and I do mean literal s+@% in some cases! This will give you a taste of what it's like in the chaos of battle! So get to it and don't you dare fall off those ropes ladies! Riaris's tirade makes Rosie sound like a chaste monk by comparison.

"Aye, Mistress Riaris, we won't let a little lingering poison slow us down one whit," He says with a deadpan face.

His reduced muscle worries him more than a little in truth, though he is determined not to let that worry show as he obediently prepares hurls the grappling hook as directed.

Not his best , but not bad considering the venom's damage either.

Xanxan starts to climb, "Reminds me of the time I was seeing a VERY tall Ulfen lass."

climb checks

Spoiler:

Str down by 2 so minus 1 counted in.
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Reflex saves

Spoiler:

Round 1
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Round 2
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Round 4
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Round 6
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Round 7
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Round 11
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Round 12
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

A few acrobatics rolls if that helps to dodge, catch himself,or whatever...
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

The gnome has a rough start, falling in immediately as his stiffened muscles betray him. Dogged and determined he tries again. The weaving debris proves to be no trouble as he weaves around or ducks it. But just as it seems he's making progress, he muscles give out yet another time and he plummets again to the water.

History repeats itself as the gnome charges up the ropes at a good click yet again, and then... at that same exact spot almost 20 ft up the rope, his strength fails him and down into the water he dives, though damn if he doesn't make it a pretty dive.

He comes back up to the long boat, and pulls himself to join the others that just couldn't do it and says "And that, children, is why there are no half Ulfen half gnomes."


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)
DM Jonasty wrote:

Tylos: Could you please elaborate on how you're generating the wall of smoke? The teleporting thing I take to be your shift ability but I didn't see how you generated the smoke. That being said, the wall of smoke could work as you expect assuming I determine how you did it, etc. If so, that will negate the need for the Ref saves potentially, or at least provide you with a possible bonus.

As far as the teleporting with Shift idea, you're going to end up making the climb checks either way. You can use the Shift idea but the teleportations are not instantaneous so you'd have to grab the rope when you appear each time. Or you could use Acrobatics to balance on the rope but the DC would be a lot higher than 15. (I know you were think of a Nightcrawler Bamf! scenario but it's not gonna turn out exactly that way. Although cool visual lol.)

If I need more checks from you I'll let you know but otherwise I just need confirmation on the wall of smoke thing and I'll go from there.

Sorry for the miscommunication. The smoke wall thing is a silent image. Also since the teleporting thing is a swift action all I was going to do the rest of the round was hold onto the rope or is the climb check to grab back on again everytime I teleport? One more thing and it's probably obvious but I can never tell. When it says 5' plus 5' per two levels that means 3rd and 5th right? Not 2nd and 4th.

All that being said is it possible for me to go last and hold the smoke for the other members of the crew before I start to climb? I hope I'm not going overboard with the magic usage for you guys. It's just I'm a skinny little bookworm and would rather not be eaten by sharks lol.


Tylos, you're correct the climb checks are to grab back on to the rope each time you 'port. It's not an exact science and you still have to deal with being suspended over the open ocean. If you had levitate or some similar effect going, then it'd be no problem but you do have to contend with the time you're not porting, as that's a full round action's worth of time.

As to the smoke wall for the others, you would not be allowed to maintain it by Riaris. She would order you to remove it for anyone but yourself. I can throw this in an RP post if you'd like but that's the gist of it.

Once Callum updates, we'll go from there.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Reflex saves:

Round 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Round 3: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Round 5: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Round 7: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Round 8: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Round 9: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Round 11: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Round 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Round 16: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Climb checks:

-5 for accelerated climbing
Round 1:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (4) + 8 - 5 = 7
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (5) + 8 - 5 = 8

Round 2:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (20) + 8 - 5 = 23
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (8) + 8 - 5 = 11

Round 3:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (8) + 8 - 5 = 11
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (16) + 8 - 5 = 19

Round 4:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (17) + 8 - 5 = 20
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (2) + 8 - 5 = 5

Round 5:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (6) + 8 - 5 = 9
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (8) + 8 - 5 = 11

Round 6:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (7) + 8 - 5 = 10
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (4) + 8 - 5 = 7

Round 7:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (9) + 8 - 5 = 12
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (9) + 8 - 5 = 12

Round 8:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (4) + 8 - 5 = 7
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (14) + 8 - 5 = 17

Round 9:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (15) + 8 - 5 = 18
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (18) + 8 - 5 = 21

Round 10:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (11) + 8 - 5 = 14
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (9) + 8 - 5 = 12

Round 11:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (3) + 8 - 5 = 6
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (18) + 8 - 5 = 21

Round 12:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (12) + 8 - 5 = 15
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (9) + 8 - 5 = 12

Round 13:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (5) + 8 - 5 = 8
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (13) + 8 - 5 = 16

Round 14:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (15) + 8 - 5 = 18
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (6) + 8 - 5 = 9

Round 15:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (20) + 8 - 5 = 23
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (11) + 8 - 5 = 14

Round 16:
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (9) + 8 - 5 = 12
1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (16) + 8 - 5 = 19

Summary:

Round 1: Failed climb & failed reflex save
Round 2: 0 + 15 + 0 = 15 ft
Round 3: 15 + 0 + 15 = 30 ft, Successful Reflex
Round 4: 30 + 15 = 45 ft

Success in 1st half of 4th round.

Ahh, a good bit o' practice this. 'Bout time we had some practice at piratin'.

After tying down the line Callum grabs the rope to begin his travel but he can't seem to get a proper hold on it. Even though he hadn't yet made a move along the rope, a large glob of human waste comes careening across the water and smacks wetly against his face. Spitting and wiping the filth from his face he glares out over the water to witness that damned dwarf, Tate, laughing histerically at his well aimed toss, some of the other sailors chuckling along with him.

Callums eyes narrow as he wraps himself around the rope and began to pull himself along the rope as fast as he could. There were a couple of moments where he almost lost his puchase, while more filth splashed against him but his anger at Tate allowed him to hold on and continue moving to finally reach the ship and pull himself up. Standing he glares over at the ugly dwarf, who was standing at the edge of the ship, and points, "You!"

2nd half of 4th round, move action for Freebooter's Bane

Callum then charges the dwarf, crossing his arms to shove at him.

Bull rush (incl. charge & FB) vs. Tates' CMD: 1d20 + 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 3 + 2 + 1 = 26

Tate stumbles back under the force of Callum's fury and goes flying off the edge of the ship, Callum's eyes like daggers as he watches him plummet into the ocean. Callum sends a gob of spit down at the dwarf before turning and glaring at tose other sailors who had laughed at him earlier, "Anyone else feel like laughing?" he growls before moving to grab a wet cloth to begin cleaning off the filth.

Intimidate DC 10+HD+Wis: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Edit:
Edited to remove the extra round I had placed as I was originally thinking on doing Freebooter's Bane then, but changed my mind since it sounded better on deck. Forgot to remove it before I submitted. Doesn't matter though I guess


By the end of "practice" everyone is tired and ready to return to the ship. As Callum climbs aboard the Wormwood Riaris unties the rest of the lines and starts rowing back with those of you that didn't make it. A few second later there is a commotion followed by a sudden splash. Scrouge's voice rings out over the water. Man overboard! Riaris, Tate's in the water! Haul him up with you. Riaris hollers a confirmation and in short order has a dripping and angry Tate in the boat and rowing back to the ship.

Climbing up the side and back on board, you all see a tense moment on the ship as Callum stands facing Plugg, whose face is red. Tate looks ready to run at Callum but notices Plugg's temperment and decides to hold his peace.

Carnvegas, I'm getting sick of your s*+% with Tate! Fightin's one thing but you threw a man to the sea's mercy and I will not have you killing one of me crew! Be thankful he was retrieved otherwise you'd be cleaning the barnacles from the bottom of the ship! As it is, I'm sick of dealing with you. Mr. Scourge! It's a day in the box for Mr. Carnvegas. And keep someone posted on the box during that time. I don't want any of his friends getting any cute ideas of sneaking him anything.

As Callum is thrown into the box, the bloody hour begins and those who screwed up during the day end up tied to the pole. Additionally, those of you that Riaris reported as failing the task receive six bashes with the heavy end of a rope to help remind you that failure always has a price. After that, Tylos joins Ko'ulu at the post for trying to avoid drinking his rum. Tylos's face blanches as his shirt is pulled free but Ko'ulu just stares resolutely forward, his back already a tapestry of scars from the constant whipping of the journey.

Jirobo, Xanxan, Tylos and Tully will take 6 points of nonlethal each from the rope bashes.

Whip rolls, 1 is an automiss:
Ko'ulu 1: 1d20 ⇒ 12, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 2: 1d20 ⇒ 5, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 3: 1d20 ⇒ 2, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 4: 1d20 ⇒ 15, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 5: 1d20 ⇒ 10, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal
Ko'ulu 6: 1d20 ⇒ 10, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal
Tyos 1: 1d20 ⇒ 17, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 nonlethal
Tyos 2: 1d20 ⇒ 16, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal
Tyos 3: 1d20 ⇒ 4, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 nonlethal
Tyos 4: 1d20 ⇒ 4, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal
Tyos 5: 1d20 ⇒ 15, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 nonlethal
Tyos 6: 1d20 ⇒ 20, Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 nonlethal

As the two men are untied from the post and hauled away, Kroop and Grok dole out the food and rum, a nightly habit that continues although both look worriedly at the sweatbox and the thought of Callum going hungry tonight.

Rum rolls for those that drink:
Callum: +1d4 ⇒ 4 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 7 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Xanxan: +1d4 ⇒ 1 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 7 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Ko'ulu: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 6 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Tylos: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 5 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 ⇒ 2
Jirobo: +1d4 ⇒ 3 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 2 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 3 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Tully: +1d4 ⇒ 1 to Cha and Fatigued for 1d8 ⇒ 3 hours, 1d3 ⇒ 1 Con damage, Fort save DC 5 to avoid addiction 1d20 ⇒ 16

Campaign tab updated with the various damage above. Everyone post your Night Time Ship Action(s). Callum you obviously don't need to do that although feel free to descibe how you handle the box. You of course also don't need to worry about the rum this night either.

Tylos and Ko'ulu are unconscious for the evening unless they receive enough healing of some kind to bring them awake. Otherwise they'll just have to sleep it off.


Quick update! Tylos is actually dying/dead due to the nonlethal!!! The way I handle death due to loss of hit points is that if at the start of that particular PC's "turn" they haven't been healed to the point where they're not dying/dead, then they're a goner. What that means in this case is the PC's have 1 ROUND worth of actions to aleviate Tylos's situation otherwise he's a goner. Assume he's a move action away from any of you right now. Jirobo, I hope you've got a CLW tucked away for a rainy day.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

You're in luck, I've got all three ready and waiting today!

Jirobo rubs the raw spots where the rope bashed him. After a day of humilation on the water being pelted with gods' know what, the tengu is sore and disheartened as he and the rest of the crew is forced to watch Callum being wedged into the small chest then Ko'ulu and the new crewmate, Tylos, beaten to the cusp of death. The elf, in particular, appears to take the beating badly as he slumps unconscious to the deck, blood bubbling forth from the ragged whip wounds across his delicate skin.

Jirobo holds a hand up to his beak in shock as he rushes forward after Scourge and Plugg finish their punishments to squat down beside Tylos. Quickly surveying the extent of the wounds, Jirobo starts whispering to the winds for their soothing relief on this poor soul. With his hands glowing softly, Jirobo runs his talons gently across Tylos' wounds, stitching them closed with invisible needle and thread.

Round 1.1: Move Action to Tylos.
Round 1.2: Cure Light Wounds on Tylos: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Round 2:Cure Light Wounds on Tylos: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Once it appears that the elf is stablized, the tengu reaches over and gives Ko'ulu a similar treatment.

Cure Light Wounds on Ko'ulu: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Thank you Jirobo. You're my new favorite bird man!

Tylos winces as each lash falls against his back. The tender sunburned skin bursts easily from the whip, his blood pouring from the wounds. Eventually falling unconscious from the pain and only being held up by his bonds. Blackness takes him...

Yikes...remind me to not get caught next time lol.

Night Action: Don't die.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Xanxan winces as Callum's fate in the box is decreed. And with a guard, how the hell can I help the man? Blast and double blast.

He takes the bashes with the rope in surprisingly good humor, after all, sure beats the lash.

And speaking of the lash....

He moves to the Tengu as Jirobo works hard, [B]"Saved his life, you did. You're a good fellow, Jirobo. We all owe you a great deal."[/B.]

Stealth to avoid the booze
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

His earlier inability to climb the rope proper has him thinking a bit of a rest would do him some good. Maybe tomorrow he can find a way to slip a spell to cool Callum during the day; watchman or not.

Night action, sleep.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

What purpose does it serve to beat men past unconsciousness? They learn no lessons from that.

His back still smarted from the draws of the starter. His pride stung him more still. He knew that there were better sailors, better fishermen... But, failing to climb a rope, failing to board a ship, failing to live up to his pirate fantasies, had him reeling.

It was a low moment for Tully, that Fipps Chumlett decided to come and rub salt in the wound. "Huh huh huh. Stupid lubber. Dat were my tomato what dropped yer into de sea. Mebbe I should nada thrown it. Yer suck so bad, yer woulda fell anyway. Huh huh huh."

Tully was up like a bolt, seething at the fat, bully's words. Would you care to put your money where your fat mouth is?

"What yer mean, lubber?"

Tully slammed a crate down in front of a water cask. Fishing into his belt pouch, he pulled ten gold out and slapped it onto the improvised table.

"Ten?!"

Ten. Tully nodded curtly. Unless you are too cowardly to take a lubber's wager.

Night Action: Gamble - Arm Wrestle
Strength Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

When the Fishguts came around with the food, Tully's blood was still so high, he found he had little appetite. Curiously, angry and shamed as he was, he felt a strong desire for the comforting embrace of the rum. It took a strong act of will to cast it aside.

Stealth for Rum: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


Jirobo manages to get to Tylos just in time and stabilize him. Tylos will be out of commision for the night but isn't dying tonight. Also his healing will bring Ko'ulu to consciousness. Campaign tab updated to reflect this.

So at this point, I just need Ko'ulu's and Jirobo's night actions. Callum and Tylos can't take any and Xanxan and Tully already did theirs.


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Yay for not dying!


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum stands stoically as he is stripped of his gear before being shoved into the small metal chest. Cramped inside the box, Callum strips off some bits of clothing to use to protect from the metal, but also to collect his sweat that was bound to come. Well done Cal, ye're stuck in the sweats. Ye be lucky if ye survive... Bah, mayhap I'll be able te suck some of the moisture from these te survive long enough. Still... it were worth it te see Tate flounder in the sea.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo keeps vigil over Tylos for a couple hours to make sure the elf is no longer knocking on gates to the Boneyard. He eats and dumps his rum per normal routine. Sometime in his watch, he slumps backwards, snoring softly.

Night Action: Sleep
Stealth Check vs Rum: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu awakens to find Jirobo standing over him.

"Eh Birdy. Morning already?" he asks groggily before realizing that no light leaks down the gangway from above. Seeing that it is dark, and smelling the fish stew, Ko'ulu pats his belly and gets to his feet.

"Thank you for healing me Birdy. I would have missed dinner! Ko'ulu is not as strong when he is hungry!"

Ko'ulu makes his way up onto the deck and gets a big bowl of the sloppy stew, which he wolfs down. When the rum comes around, he just stares silently at the person apportioning until they move on.

Then he rises, slaps his hands together and goes to find the hog toss to win some money.

Action, gamble

"I am going to put down 5 golds this time!" he says, grinning as he slaps the golds down on a barrel-head.

Hog! 1d20 + 6 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 6 - 4 = 19

Ko'ulu gets a good grip on the hog this time, sending it flying a good distance across the deck.


Tully arm wreslte opponent: 1d20 ⇒ 3, possible Str damage: 1d2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Ko'ulu hog lob opponent: 1d20 ⇒ 20

Tully:
With a vicious grin you slam Fipps's hand on to the barrel top, who lets out a yell as the cut glass shards cuts into his flesh. Gripping his bleeding hand to his chest, he moves off and gives you a glower as you collect your winnings.

You won 10gp.

Ko'ulu:
You curse under your breath stunned, as you watch Maheem's pigskin fly just a bit further than yours. You're beginning to wonder if maybe there's some curse on you or possibly the rum is actually what's helping the crew win. You shake your head as you move away, five gold lighter and a helluva' lot more frustrated than when you started, wondering if this is some kind of sign.

You lose 5gp.

Update coming soon-ish.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

HAH! Tully screamed, as he slammed Fipps' hand to the table. There was a spray of blood as jagged glass shards cut into the fat man's wrist. Fipps let out a cry of pain, and Tully let loose his hand. The red mist of anger that had clouded his vision vanished.

What am I doing? Am I becoming one of these bloodthirsty pirates?

He reached up and grabbed the holy symbol draped around his neck.

Too much brutality... I am forgetting myself...


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu stood in slack jawed amazement at the pig, lying a full foot beyond his toss. Then he smiled, shruged and clapped Maheem on the shoulder.

"That be a good toss man! I don't know if I could have tossed it as good myself! I gotta eat more fishy stew to be as strong as Maheem! Maybe tomorrow."

Ko'ulu grins and heads off to bed, passing by Tully handily defeating an opponent at arm wrestling.

"Yo Tully-man! You got better luck than Ko'ulu tonight! Look stronger too!"


About an hour before the bell calls you on deck, Sandara moves over to Tylos and lays a gentle hand on his shoulder. A warm blue light suffuses his form and his eyes snap open briefly. She looks down at him. You and your new friends aren't making this voyage any easier on yourselves. Be careful. After that he nods vaguely and drifts back to sleep.

CMW on Tylos: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (6, 3) + 3 = 12

Heading up on deck later that morning to the bell, none of you can help yourselves from glancing at the locked iron chest bolted to the deck that Callum was confined to during the night. Plugg moves up to the group of you, not even sparing a glance towards the chest.

Carnvegas tweaked my last nerve with that stunt yesterday and frankly, I've grown sick of dealing with all of you lot. All of you are to man the bilges today. In fact, you might as well move your hammocks down there and save yourselves time as I think I'll have you manning those pumps for the rest of the trip. He gives you all a wicked grin. Of course if any of you have a problem with your new job assignments, I'm sure we can find another chest for you.

Everyone but Callum is working in the bilges today, even Tully. This requires a Strength check, DC 12. Additionally you need to make a Con check, DC 10, or be Fatigued at the end of your shift.

None of the NPC's are able to help you today with your task, not wanting to risk Plugg's wrath this soon. Although as before, since you're all doing the same job, those of you who would like can use the Work Dilligently Day Time action and give some/all of your bonus to one of the other PC's for their check.

Otherwise, the Campaign tab has been updated and you may all post your job checks and Day Time ship action. Callum, sorry for the delay but feel free to let us know how you're doing in there. ;-)


(Male Wizard(Spellbinder) 4, Hp: 20/20, AC 12(16w/MA), T:12, FF:10, F+1, R+3, W+4)

Tylos awakens groggily. The healing took away the physical pain but her divine magics leave the memory of the horrible incident intact. Feeling the ropy scars that cross his back, Tylos fills himself with a murderous fury before seeking the calm void that his meditative techniques allow.

Same memorized spells as before except switched out Grease for Infernal Healing. That is if I had time to memorize as I wasn't sure.

Tylos silently plots numerous tortures and horrors for Plugg and Scourge while heading down to the bilges with the others. Once every hour, Tylos will go and clean each of the people down in the bilges with him. The filth and grime falling off for a time and giving those with him some measure of comfort. Once down there in a quiet voice he says So when do we kill the bastard? I have a few ideas on how to do it. He says with a grim expression.

Prestidigitation to clean each PC


Tylos, spell memorization is fine in the morning, you can always assume you leave yourself enough time for that before the morning bell. Also fon't forget your Day Time ship action and job checks.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

How protected is the chest? Any chance to slip a prestidigitation on the box to cool it and not be noticed?

Xanxan listens to Plugg. The bilges. I think I might prefer the box, but it won't do Callum no good to have company when I could be working on revenge. But where to go??

Down into the bilges they go, "I hate this place." He admits outloud once they get there. "Fool officers don't care about the job getting done right so much as making a punishment of it."

Quote:
Once down there in a quiet voice he says So when do we kill the bastard? I have a few ideas on how to do it. He says with a grim expression.

Xanxan grins at the elf, keeping his voice low too,"I knew you were a kindred soul. Me, I'm for killing Scourge, but I've no love of Plugg either.

If you got away to get either of them and make it look like an accident, i'd love to hear it. Otherwise, if we take one down, they'll not let it rest and we'll be up for keelhauling. And that, lads, can only be fought with mutiny."

601 to 650 of 1,114 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMJ's Skull & Shackles, Part 1: The Wormwood Mutiny All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.