Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DMJ's Skull & Shackles

Game Master Jonasty1031

Adventure and danger on the high seas! Can you claim your own Pirate destiny in the Shackles?

Current Map


501 to 550 of 1,114 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

The swim over to the reefs is uneventful and almost pleasant. There are no fins cruising the waters around you and the water is a clear crystal blue. Swimming over top of the reefs, you can see brightly colored fish dart this way and that.

The reefs are anywhere from 10-30 feet below the surface while the sandy bottom they sit on is still some 60-80 feet deep. Treading water, you set the crab pots in place with small weigheted lines and begin scanning the area around you.

Ko'ulu takes a breath and dives below the surface and you can all see him swim to a spot atop one of the reefs. Suddenly he comes rocekting up from the reef top with a crab in hand and a big grin on his face. Now this be fishing! Dumping the crab into the pot, he looks down into the water to try to find another. You all take a cue from him and begin diving down for the tasty creatures.

It's only been moments as you've begun your crabbing when suddenly 3 dark shapes shoot out from within the reefs, hidden by the terrain and the waves. They come towards you, their large claws snapping open and closed as their eel like tails churn the water around them.

Knowledge (dungeoneering) DC 11:
These are reefclaws, weird abominations that resemble half lobster, half eel like creatures. They've got good vision and and can move fairly quickly in the water. Their claws secrete a poison that gave sap your strength and they are resistant to the cold of the depths. They also don't go down easy when they die.

You also know that reefclaw meat, specifically the oversized claws themselves, is a delicacy to most people.

Init:
Callum: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Calvin: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Ko'ulu: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Tully: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Xanxan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Jirobo: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
R1-3: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Map

Surprise round was the three creatures swimming up towards you guys, to end where they are on the map. They're all about 5 feet below the surface which won't impact melee from the surface, you can attack or do whatever without having to dive down, at least for now. The brown blobs are the reefs, the tops of which are between 10-30 feet below the surface, anything else is open water with a sandy bottom between 60-80 feet deep.

Here's the links for the Swim rules and the Underwater Combat rules. Please make sure you understand them and take them into account during the combat. Remember if you don't make a Swim check, or fail by high enough, you sink below the water and will need to hold your breath while fighting. Also, because this is combat, you can NOT Take 10 on Swim checks, these must be active decisions to swim and checks to do so.

Additional rule from Stormwrack: You may use a move action (separate from the normal Swim check) to make a Swim check DC 15 to prepapre yourself for holding your breath. If you make it you may add 4 rounds to the amount of time you can hold your breath, assuming you go under the water as your next available action.

Otherwise, anyone who goes before the creatures on Init may post their Round 1 actions now.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Swim Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Edit: Looks like DM switched enemies to same initiative. Saving swim check for future post after enemies' action. =)


Correct Tully. When it's a clump of the same type of enemy I usually do that to avoid confusion. I erased the last two rolls so the system kept the 14. Sorry for the mixup.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo clutches his sword tight as the clawed monstrosity swims closer, motioning to Xanxan and Jak to flank it while he grabs its attention. The tengu finds his focus as he points one hand toward the closest reefclaw, willing the fury of the storm to manifest from deep within his pysche. The water roils and winds lash as a mini-storm spawns right on the reefclaw for a brief few seconds.

Storm Burst, Ranged Touch vs Reefclaw: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Storm Burst, Nonlethal Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

And since I forgot it.
Swim Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


You will go under water and are now holding your breath.


Alrighty, Calvin's currently delaying which he's probably not going to be too happy with after what's about to happen.

The three lobster like creatures attack with their claws, trying to grab a hold of their soon-to-be meals. The one hit by Jirobo's storm looks a little battered but still resolute.

Reefclaws Round 1 actions:
They will all 5-foot step/swim into melee. For right now, assume that everyone is on roughly the same plane as the reefclaws, there's no vertical dimension to worry about. It will probably come up as the combat progresses but for this round, assume the map is a flat board.

Sorry guys, I can't edit the map at work so I'm describing moves. I'll update the map as I can but just make sure to read all the posts clearly and make sure you're clear in any movements you make.
R1 moves one square to the right and full attacks Calvin.
R2 moves one square to the left and full attacks Tully.
R3 remains where it is and full attacks Xanxan.

Alright, lotta dice rolls.
R1 Attack 1 on Calvin: 1d20 ⇒ 9, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2, Calvin Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1 Str, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 17, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 3
R1 Attack 2 on Calvin: 1d20 ⇒ 15, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1, Calvin Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1 Str, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 13, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 3
R2 Attack 1 on Tully: 1d20 ⇒ 2, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3, Calvin Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 ⇒ 12, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1 Str, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 10, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 4
R2 Attack 2 on Tully: 1d20 ⇒ 7, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3, Calvin Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 ⇒ 3, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1 Str, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 12, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 1
R3 Attack 1 on Xanxan: 1d20 ⇒ 20, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4, Calvin Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2 Str, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 13, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 4
R3 Attack 2 on Xanxan: 1d20 ⇒ 6, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2, Calvin Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1 Str, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 12, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 4

Crit confirm on Xanxan for Attack 1: 1d20 ⇒ 19, Bonus Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4

So to sum up after all that:
Calvin - Hit for 4 damage, 0 Str damage, and you're grappled.
Tully - You're missed completely.
Xanxan - Hit for 8 damage, 2 Str damage, and you're grappled.

The campaign tab has been updated with all of that, everyone else may post their Round 1 actions.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum cursed, drawing his boarding axe while swimming around to flank the creature that attacked Tully.

Full round action to swim half-speed (15 ft) around the threat zone, so 5-ft SE then another diagonal SW (so a total of 15-ft movement).
Swim DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Using swim check from earlier, draw dagger and begin Inspire Courage (+1 to attack and damage, saves vs. fear).

Gentlemen, I know not what these shadows from the depths are, but there is menace in their approach. Prepare yourselves!


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Nutz. The map doesn't work at work. (I work at work though...sometimes)

Swim 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Ko'ulu doesn't even take time to think, but reacts with the speed of a man used to the dangers of the sea. He focuses on the moment and drives his body through the waves.

If Ko'ulu is close enough to attack:
Ko'ulu swims toward the nearest monstrosity and thrusts his trident toward it.

Tridented! 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Forked 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

If Ko'ulu is too far away:

Ko'ulu swims as hard as he can, powerful arms breaking through the waves with the ease of years of practice, the trident an extention of his body, not even hindering his movement. He steers towards the nearest person who is wrapped up by one of the eel like beasts, knowing that the creature will be trying to drag his companion to the briny depths.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 18/27)

Xanxan is grabbed and torn at before he can take action. He tries to take a breath of fresh air or at least hold onto what he has.

Swim
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
and also tries to wiggle free.

Escape Artist
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Calvin attempts to pull himself free of the monster's claws, tugging against it.

Calvin attempts to free himself from the reefclaw.
Escape Artist: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Round update coming shortly.


Jirobo weaves a mini storm as the reefclaws swim out from their coral homes. He manages to stun one of them with this although not enough to keep it from latching on to Xanxan. The others attack Tully and Calvin and while Tully is able to fend off the creature, Calvin feels a claw clamp down on his leg.

Calvin and Xanxan both struggle against the creatures and both manage to pry the claws loose, althogh Xanxan looks a little weaker from the attack.

Callum swims around the creature, trying to get into an advantageous position with Tully. Ko'ulu meanwhile barrels towards the creature, stabbing out with his trident and skewering it solidly. It still fights but barely.

Round 2 Status:
Young Tully: HP 16/16, AC 14
Ko'ulu: HP 17/17, AC 14
Xanxan Gimblewabe: HP 7/15, AC 14 (2 Str damage)
Calvin the Surgeon: HP 9/14, AC 12
Callum Carnvegas: HP 20/20, AC 15
Jirobo the Storm Crow: HP 15/15, AC 13
Reefclaw 1: HP 2/13, AC ?
Reefclaw 2: HP 13/13, AC ?
Reefclaw 3: HP 13/13 (5 nonlethal), AC ?

Init: Jirobo, Reefclaws, Tully, Xanxan, Callum, Ko'ulu, Calvin

The map is pretty much unchanged from last time except for Callum's move. Jirobo is up and then I'll post the reefclaws, then everyone else can go. When I post the reefclaws' actions, I'll provide a description of exactly where they're at so people understand their options.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo blinks his eyes in pain under the salty water, his vision dancing with visions of gnomes being devoured by lobsters. With a shake to clear his head, Jirobo grips his sword firmly in his hand as he swims toward the reefclaw. If he talk underwater, he'd be saying something on the lines of, LEAVE XANXAN ALONE, YOU SEA ROACH! Instead, he just plunges his blade down at the reefclaw's head. And in his rush to save his gnomish friend, Jirobo nearly ends up stabbing Xanxan in the head instead of the reefclaw.

Swim Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Attack Roll vs Reefclaw: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Damage Roll vs Reefclaw: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


As some of you attack the reefclaws, they strike out at you, their claws snapping in the water.

R1 full attacks Ko'ulu.
R2 full attacks Tully.
R3 full attacks Jirobo.

Alright, lotta dice rolls.
R1 Attack 1 on Ko'ulu: 1d20 ⇒ 9, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4, Ko'ulu Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 16, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 3
R1 Attack 2 on Ko'ulu: 1d20 ⇒ 19, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4, Ko'ulu Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 9, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 1
R2 Attack 1 on Tully: 1d20 ⇒ 18, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4, Tully Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 ⇒ 14, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 10, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 4
R2 Attack 2 on Tully: 1d20 ⇒ 20, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3, Tully Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 ⇒ 4, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 15, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 4
R3 Attack 1 on Jirobo: 1d20 ⇒ 16, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3, Jirobo Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 15, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 2
R3 Attack 2 on Jirobo: 1d20 ⇒ 7, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4, Jirobo Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 10, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 1

Crit confirm on Tully for Attack 1: 1d20 ⇒ 8, Bonus Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1

Sum up:
Ko'ulu - Hit for 3 damage, 2 Str damage, and you're grappled
Tully - Hit for 11 damage, 1 Str damage, and you're grappled
Jirobo - Hit for 3 damage and you're grappled

As the reefclaws make their attacks, Jak stabs out with his dagger, hoping to use Xanxan's presence as a distraction.

Jak's attack: 1d20 ⇒ 11, Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Current situation. R1 is in melee range with Calvin and is currently grappling (thus also in melee range with) Ko'ulu. R2 is in melee range with Callum and is currently grappling (thus also in melee range with) Tully. R3 is in melee range with Xanxan and Jak, and is currently grappling (thus also in melee range with) Jirobo.

Xanxan, you have flanking with Jak. Callum, Tully, Calvin and Ko'ulu, you currently have flanking with each other respectively but since one of each pair of you is grapppled, none of you benefit from the flanking bonus. If you escape the grapple, then you'll provide the bonus for the other person's attack.

Campaign tab updated with damage, statues, etc. Everyone else can post their Round 2 actions.


Xanxan Posion save, Round 2 DC 13: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10, Str Damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1.
Campaign tab updated.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Knowing that the clawed-eel will take him to the briny bottom if he doesn't act quickly, Ko'ulu thrashes and bites at the beast, trying to break free.

Grapple Break! (std action), str dmg 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (10) + 5 - 1 = 14

Spoiler:
I don't know if Ko'ulu is going to break free or not, but in any case he is going to stay close so he can help flank the creature.


Ko'ulu you are able to break free. Doesn't let you attack this turn but it does mean that Calvin will get a flanking bonus on his turn.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

These creatures are frightfully deadly, my friends! Take all due caution in engaging them, but kindly engage them in all haste!

Maintain Inspire Courage (2 rounds used)

Escape Artist Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Swim Check: 1d20 ⇒ 12

Tully twists and turns, struggling out of the creature's grip and swimming back as far from it as possible.

1/4 speed for Tully will be 7.5 feet. If I can get out of 5-foot step range, I will.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

"Aye Tully, let's have at 'im!" Callum says focusing on the creature before swinging his spike of his axe into it while it is occupied with Tully.

Freeebooter's Bane: Allies within 30ft (so just Tully and Callum) gain a +1 to attack and damage against this specific creature.
Swim Check DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Attack w/ flanking, IC, FB: 1d20 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 16
Damage w/ sneak attack, IC, FB: 1d6 + 2 + 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 2 + (6) + 1 + 1 = 13 (piercing)

Obviously, if Tully moves out of flanking position before Callum's attack, with the reefclaw no longer involved in grappling, the Attack would be 14 and the damage would be 7 (instead of the 16 and 13).


Tully, with the 7.5 movement, you can get 5 feet away, which takes you out of melee. However, this will provoke an AoO. Do you still want to do that?


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 18/27)

Xanxan feels his muscles stiffen and weaken even as he tears free. Jirobo coming to his rescue, the gnome tries to return the favor and strike at the same one. Perhaps if they gang up on it, they'll have a chance.

Leave my friend alone, you shell shelacked sea rat! The gnome thinks fiercely.

His rapier slides forward trying to find a weak spot in the damn thing's shell. Finesse may yet achieve what dwindling might would have no chance of.

Looks like sneak attack bonus is unlikely if I'm reading you right , but just in case I'll put that possibility under it. He has touched by the sea so that reduces any attack penalties for under water by 1

swim (Str of 7 really hurts it)
1d20 ⇒ 3

The Hit roll. he has weapon finesse, so str loss shouldn't matter since his dex is the same? If I'm wrong on that, adjust it please. Racial bonus and bardic inspire courage also counted in
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
dmg with str penalty counted in, along with bardic bonus
1d4 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3
If sneak attack can apply...
1d6 ⇒ 2


Male Human Sea Singer 1

I wasn't sure how it worked only moving part of a square (I haven't done very much aquatic combat), so I was kind of comparing it to climbing, where we got credit for partial progress. If I can't effectively get away, then I'll maintain Inspire Courage, escape grapple and swim to keep my head above water, but remain in melee.


With climbing and swimming, the partial movement stuff is rounded down to the nearest 5-foot increment when you're in a combat situation. It's only when you're not in combat that you ignore this and can count credit for the partial movement.

So in this case, you can get 1 square away, taking you out of melee as they don't have reach, it will just provoke AoO. You can't five foot step while swimming. Standard action to escape grapple, move action to swim away 7.5 feet which rounds down to a 5 foot square for combat purposes.


Male Human Sea Singer 1
DM Jonasty wrote:

With climbing and swimming, the partial movement stuff is rounded down to the nearest 5-foot increment when you're in a combat situation. It's only when you're not in combat that you ignore this and can count credit for the partial movement.

So in this case, you can get 1 square away, taking you out of melee as they don't have reach, it will just provoke AoO. You can't five foot step while swimming. Standard action to escape grapple, move action to swim away 7.5 feet which rounds down to a 5 foot square for combat purposes.

Got it, I think. I'll avoid the AoO, if I still may. =)

Does gaining an actual swim speed give you the ability for a "5-foot step/swim"? This is just for future reference/future spell selection.


Yes, a swim speed allows you to 5 foot step, at least as far as I understand and am concerned. And you'll avoid the AoO and stay in melee, understood and I'll account for that accordingly.


Calvin attempts to stab his spear into the crustacean flanked by Ko'ulu.

Swim check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8, Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8

Update coming shortly.


The water around you churns as you all fight off the reefclaws. Jirobo is unable to connect with the best and it retaliates by clamping a claw down on his thigh, the pressure intense.

The other two clamp down on Tully and Ko'ulu but they're able to pry themselves free. Callum takes advantage of Tully's clever escape to stab the creature viciously. Calvin is unable to replicate this with Ko'ulu's escape.

Xanxan and Jak catch theirs between the two of them and put a few holes in it by the time they're done, although Xanxan slips beneath the surface trying to fight the thing off.

Round 3 Status:
Young Tully: HP 5/16, AC 14 (1 Str damage)(Poisoned)
Ko'ulu: HP 14/17, AC 14 (2 Str damage)(Poisoned)
Xanxan Gimblewabe: HP 7/15, AC 14 (3 Str damage)(Poisoned)(Underwater, holding breath)
Calvin the Surgeon: HP 9/14, AC 12
Callum Carnvegas: HP 20/20, AC 15
Jirobo the Storm Crow: HP 12/15, AC 13 (Grappled)
Reefclaw 1: HP 2/13, AC 14
Reefclaw 2: HP 0/13, AC 14 (Staggered)
Reefclaw 3: HP 6/13 (5 nonlethal), AC 14

Init: Jirobo, Reefclaws, Tully, Xanxan, Callum, Ko'ulu, Calvin

Jirobo's up for Round 3, then I'll get the reefclaws done and then everyone.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo gives out a quick squawk before the reefclaw drags him under the waves. The little tengu struggles in the reefclaw's tight grip to no avail. He momentarially forgets about his sword in hand and wills the fury of the storm to come again and wash this foe far, far away.

Swim Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Storm Burst, Ranged Touch vs Reefclaw: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Storm Burst, Nonlethal Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Concentration Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Jirobo, as the Grappled person or Grapplee, you can't use your Storm Burst unless it's a Free/Swift action. You're "at the mercy" of the reefclaw, so to speak. You can either try to become the grappler or you can try to escape.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12
DM Jonasty wrote:
Jirobo, as the Grappled person or Grapplee, you can't use your Storm Burst unless it's a Free/Swift action. You're "at the mercy" of the reefclaw, so to speak. You can either try to become the grappler or you can try to escape.

So no spells or attacks with light or one-handed weapons? I was checking the rules for being grappled earlier in the PRD to make sure what I could do other than escape and it sounded like they were allowed, spellcasting or spell-like abilities with a Concentration check though. I'm paste the part I was confused on down below.

Being Grappled:
If You Are Grappled: If you are grappled, you can attempt to break the grapple as a standard action by making a combat maneuver check (DC equal to your opponent's CMD; this does not provoke an attack of opportunity) or Escape Artist check (with a DC equal to your opponent's CMD). If you succeed, you break the grapple and can act normally. Alternatively, if you succeed, you can become the grappler, grappling the other creature (meaning that the other creature cannot freely release the grapple without making a combat maneuver check, while you can). Instead of attempting to break or reverse the grapple, you can take any action that doesn't require two hands to perform, such as cast a spell or make an attack or full attack with a light or one-handed weapon against any creature within your reach, including the creature that is grappling you. See the grappled condition for additional details. If you are pinned, your actions are very limited. See the pinned condition in Conditions for additional details.

Grappled:
Grappled: A grappled creature is restrained by a creature, trap, or effect. Grappled creatures cannot move and take a –4 penalty to Dexterity. A grappled creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and combat maneuver checks, except those made to grapple or escape a grapple. In addition, grappled creatures can take no action that requires two hands to perform. A grappled character who attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability must make a concentration check (DC 10 + grappler's CMB + spell level), or lose the spell. Grappled creatures cannot make attacks of opportunity. A grappled creature cannot use Stealth to hide from the creature grappling it, even if a special ability, such as hide in plain sight, would normally allow it to do so. If a grappled creature becomes invisible, through a spell or other ability, it gains a +2 circumstance bonus on its CMD to avoid being grappled, but receives no other benefit.

If I can't do anything else then...
Escape Artist Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Spear fishing (poison, flank, power attack) 1d20 + 6 - 1 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (10) + 6 - 1 + 2 - 1 = 16
Speared (power atk) 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12

Swim (poisoned...stupid fish) 1d20 + 10 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 10 - 1 = 28

Holding his breath beneath the waves, Ko'ulu watches the eel-thing dance between him and the doctor, trying to escape. Ko'ulu pens it in, keeping it from diving down, and driving it toward the doctor. The moment it turns to focus on the doctor, he lances forward, kicking with his legs as he jabs forward.

if its dead:
Seeing the creature in its death-throes, Ko'ulu turns and swims toward the last moving eel.


Ahh the oh so confusing grappling rules. Jirobo, you are correct, I was going off memory on that last post. Assume your Storm Burst action is fine and I'll go off that for my updates.

Reefclaw turns coming shortly.


The reefclaw gripping Jirobo is suddenly buffeted by a swell from below and Jirobo suddenly finds himself floating free as the creature floats between himself, Xanxan and Jak, dazed and unconscious.

The reefclaw attacking Ko'ulu continues to do so, still smarting from the trident thrust into it's side earlier.

The final reefclaw looks like it's on its final legs. Lashing out feebly with the last of its strength, it attacks Callum. The light fades from it's eyes but almost instantly, the beast thrashes around spastically in the water, its body locked in the throes of death.

R3 is unconscious due to nonlethal from Jirobo.
R1 does the normal full attack on Ko'ulu. (Since it missed, your attack will go off normally. Death throes to follow.)
R2 is Staggered, attacks once on Callum. When they die, they go into a death frenzy attacking randomly whoever's in melee with them, thus the craziness after its final attack.

R1 Attack 1 on Ko'ulu: 1d20 ⇒ 10, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4, Ko'ulu Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 18, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 4
R1 Attack 2 on Ko'ulu: 1d20 ⇒ 3, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4, Ko'ulu Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 10, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 2
R2 Standard Attack on Callum: 1d20 ⇒ 16, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2, Callum Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 4, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 1

Death Frenzy Randomization:
Attack 1: 1d100 ⇒ 52, Attack 2: 1d100 ⇒ 29
High is Callum, Low is Tully

Death Frenzy attacks:
Attack 1: 1d20 ⇒ 17, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4, Callum Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 7, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 2
Attack 2: 1d20 ⇒ 13, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3, Tully Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 ⇒ 15, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 12, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 4

Sum up:
Ko'ulu - Missed completely.
Callum - Hit for 3 damage, 1 Str damage.
Tully - Missed by the death spasm.

Seeing the thrashing of the dead reefclaw near Callum and Tully, Jak decides to stay his hand from attacking the unconscious reefclaw in front of him and instead looks to see if anyone else will need help. Basically delaying to see if he's needed after all the PC's finish up.

PC Fort saves that were previously poisoned, DC 13.
Xanxan: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19, Str damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1
Tully: 1d20 ⇒ 18, Str damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1
Ko'ulu: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14, Str damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2


As Ko'ulu's strike pierces its side, the last threatening reefclaw spasms next to him, striking out in death.

Reefclaw Death Frenzy Randomization:
Attack 1: 1d100 ⇒ 87, Attack 2: 1d100 ⇒ 86
High is Ko'ulu, Low is Calvin

Death Frenzy attacks:
Attack 1: 1d20 ⇒ 3, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3, Ko'ulu Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 7, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 2
Attack 2: 1d20 ⇒ 11, Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1, Ko'ulu Poison Fort save (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2, Grab attempt: 1d20 ⇒ 5, Constrict damage on sucessful Grab 1d4 ⇒ 3

Ko'ulu is missed both times. Alright, end of combat update coming shortly.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Seeing how the other reefclaws have been killed or knocked out. Callum grabs the nearby creature and begins to stuff it into his pot. "Send us out here like this. Let's see how they like what's fer dinner. Giant crab what with a side dish o' poison," he mutters. He takes a few deep breaths, a little weak from the poison, but his anger at the attack keeps him going.

He looks over at Tully, "How ye doin' lad? Hold on te yer pot, te help te keep ye afloat." Callum then takes his own advice, and rests on the pot, once finished filling it as the poison courses through his body.

Query: Did Callum take 6 damage altogether (2 from first attack, 4 from frenzy)?

Edited to add results of more evil poison effects.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Dodge...dodge...DODGE...DODGE!!! Whew.


Book keeping. The poison last for 4 rounds or until saved against.
Callum Poison Fort save 1 (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Callum Poison Fort save 2 (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Callum Poison Fort save 3 (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 1
Callum Poison Fort save 4 (DC 13): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15, Poison damage on failed save: 1d2 ⇒ 2

Callum will overcome the poison on his own on the 3rd save. If anyone can/wants to make a Heal check to provide a +4 bonus to any of Callum's earlier saves, you may do so in your post. Roll 2 of them, cause they do apply to the specific checks he makes.


Callum Carnvegas wrote:
Query: Did Callum take 6 damage altogether (2 from first attack, 4 from frenzy)?

The reefclaws' normal attacks deal half damage cause they're not Piercing. Thus 2+4 becomes 1+2, for the 3 you took. The reall damage from them was from the constrict which wasn't affected by the water combat but you were missed on both grapple attempts.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum, realizing the poison was still coursing through his body attempts to suck out the poison through his wound.

Heal check (DC 13): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Let's apply the +4 to the earliest save to make the 9 into a 13.


You all catch your breath and some of you hang on the crab pots for the little help they provide. Blood flows in the water and you're all just happy that more of it isn't yours.

PC's Final End of Combat Status:
Tully: HP 5/16, AC 14 (1 Str damage)
Ko'ulu: HP 14/17, AC 14 (2 Str damage)
Xanxan Gimblewabe: HP 7/15, AC 14 (3 Str damage)
Calvin the Surgeon: HP 9/14, AC 12
Callum Carnvegas: HP 17/20, AC 15 (1 Str damage)
Jirobo the Storm Crow: HP 12/15, AC 13

Callum works at stuffing one of the dead reefclaws into the pot near him. As you scan below you, you can still see dozens of small crabs scampering all over the reefs below you.

Alright, here's the rules for crabbing, now that you've dealt with the immediate threat of the reefs.
You need a successful Perception check followed by a Swim check, both DC 10, to spot a suitable crab and then swim down to get it. This is essentially a full round action, strictly for the purposes of determining how long it takes you. Feel free to roll a bunch of combos of these in your updates to save time.

It takes 4 crabs to fill one pot and you have 4 pots to fill. You notice that Callum filled an entire pot with a single reefclaw. If you want to try to do this with the others you may. The other dead reefclaw has sunk below, needing the same DC 10 Perception but it requires a DC 15 Swim check to bring up due to its weight. The final reefclaw isn't dead yet and is still hovering unconscious in the water.

Finally, please keep in mind those of you with Strength damage the impact this will have on Swim checks, both for the crabbing and the eventual return to the ship. The crabbing rolls need to be made individually. When it comes time to return to the ship, those that are still able may Take 10 on swim checks.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 18/27)

While weak as a kitten, Xanxan is feeling vengeful and will kill the unconscious Reefclaw before it can awake if he can. Then shove it in a pot.

I assume it is helpless and thus no rolls needed?


No rolls needed although I will remind you of the Death Frenzy risk, just in case you want to change your mind or confer with your companions. ;-)


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Seing Xanxan move with purpose towards the unconscious creature he cupped his hands around his mouth to allow his voice to carry. Xanxan, be careful! he shouts, They lash out when they die! Kill it from a distance!


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 18/27)

Xaxan pauses, "Oh, blast. I got nothing to kill it from a distance with? Anyone else? I hate to let a perfectly good pot full go to waste and sides, I dearly want revenge."


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Still feeling the sting of the large claws of the beast, Jirobo waves Xanxan off of killing it, "Just hurt it to cusp of death, Xanxan. Fresh reefclaw will be much taster than hours dead reefclaw, I'm sure." He gives the reefclaw that attacked him and the gnome a severe rap on the head.

Afterward, Jirobo peers down into the water, looking for a nice fat crab to drag up to the pot. One large one shuffled under one of the shelves of the coral but the tengu spots him, swimming down to pluck up the snapping sea roach. Jirobo pops it into the crab pot as he checks to make sure the reefclaw is still out of it, giving it another rap on the head if needed.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19
Swim Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Nonlethal Damage on Reefclaw: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu watches the other crabby crabbers working for a momement, then he grins and dives down toward the reef, searching for the hollow the reefclaws came from.

Ko'ulu is +8 to hold his breath from Fort+Endurance, so he is going to stay down for a bit. Holding breath for 9 rnds and searching.

Swim 1(poision) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Swim 2(poision) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Swim 3(poision) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Swim 4(poision) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Swim 5(poision) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Swim 6(poision) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Swim 7(poision) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Swim 8(poision) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

Swim 9(poision) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully's spinning, thrashing gyrations were enough to tear free of the reefclaw's grasp. As its claws snapped viciously at the young man, Callum swam up behind, driving the spiked end of his boarding axe through the creatures back. Tully dove as the creature flew into a frenzied death-spasm. He came up coughing water, and gasping for air, but without further injury.

Callum cursed, and grabbed the abominable creature, stuffing it into the crab pot.

Callum wrote:
How ye doin' lad? Hold on te yer pot, te help te keep ye afloat.

*Cough* Well enough, *Cough-Cough* thanks to your timely intervention. Are these hideous creatures truly edible? They do not encourage the appetite from what I can see of them.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Swim Check: 1d20 ⇒ 5
Swim Check: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Swim Check: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Tully spots the last reefclaw lying on the coral bottom. Diving down he tries to lift the creature, but flounders his breath escaping in great bubbles. Panicked, he thrashes under the water, finally clawing his way to the surface.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Swim Check: 1d20 ⇒ 16

Summoning his courage for a second attempt, Tully manages to drag the dead-weight of the creature back to the surface and stuff it into the crab pot.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]
Tully wrote:
*Cough* Well enough, *Cough-Cough* thanks to your timely intervention. Are these hideous creatures truly edible? They do not encourage the appetite from what I can see of them.

Callum shrugs. "They look te be related te some crab or some lobster, 'cept for the slimy bit on the back. I don't rightly care whether they can be eatn'. I'm hopin' a big dish o' the poison done gets put into Plugg 'n Scourge's gullets.


While the rest of you manage to cram another reefclaw into a pot, Ko'ulu shoulders the brunt of the work as he dives over and over to the reefs below. Every time he seems to surface with a big crab clenched in his hands. It takes only moments for the pots to be filled and soon you're swimming back towards the ship.

If you can and choose to Take 10 on the swim back, please indicate if that's what you're doing. If you can't (due to poison damage for instance) then please include Swim checks for the swim back, (say 20 rolls so I can judge your ultimate final success). DC is still 10. If anyone swimming back wants to aid someone else in their swimming, they can but you are not able to Take 10 and your Swim check DC is 15, not 10. You would also then want to include 20 or so rolls to help speed things up.

501 to 550 of 1,114 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMJ's Skull & Shackles, Part 1: The Wormwood Mutiny All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.