Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DMJ's Skull & Shackles

Game Master Jonasty1031

Adventure and danger on the high seas! Can you claim your own Pirate destiny in the Shackles?

Current Map


1 to 50 of 1,114 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Images of the night's revelry flash in your mind, good loud music, flirty wenches of questionable morals, and free-flowing delicious wine. The rich smell of stewed beef lingers in your nostrils from the kitchens. It was truly a night worthy of the Pirate capital of the Shackles. Yet you can't seem to remember how it ended. For some there was a gentle slip into unconsciousness brought on by too much wine, or possibly too much additive to your wine. For others, a sharp blow to the head that took the lights out with a snap.

A light burns through the hazy fog of your recollection, waking you fully to the heahache pounding behind your eyes. The pulsing of the pain seems to match the rythmn of floor swaying beneath you and it's almost enough to make you think you're still drunk, except for the nausea that suddenly boils in your stomach. The wine that tasted so good the night before is more like stale ash on your tongue this morning.

Daring to open your eyes you can see the gloomy confines of a ship's interior. You see others around you slowly coming to, faces you recognize from the Formidably Maid the night before also the worse for wear like yourself. Looking around yourselves, you quickly realize that you've been stripped of everything, the only thing on you being the clothes on your back.

Young Tully:
You quickly pat your chest and realize with relief that they left your battered holy symbol around your neck. Apparently they weren't too concerned with you having it.

Calvin the Surgeon:
While Tobias is nowhere to be seen, thankfully the brutes left your pouch of materials strapped to your belt.

The above assumes you bought a spell component pouch after my OOC post. Also, although your familiar is currently missing, you still have your memorized spells from the day before still prepped. Once you cast them though, you'll be spell-less until you find or replace him.

Xanxan:
Casually brushing your hand across your waist you feel a moment of relief as you feel your "tools" (thieve's tools) safely tucked into your waist band.

The light comes from a lantern held by a tall, skinny man in a long coat and breeches and boots. He wears a dark beard braided down his chest and his mouth gleams with gold teeth as he snarls cruelly at the lot of you. Six other burly men stand around him, all armed with saps.

His voice rings out in a shout as the whip in his other hand cracks out above your heads. Still abed with the sun over the yardarm?! On your feet, you filthy swabs! Get up on deck and report for duty before Cap'n Harrigan flays your flesh into sausage skins and has Fishguts fry ye up for breakfast!

Except for the few specific things I indicated above in the spoilers, all of you are stripped of everything but the clothes you're wearing (Callum you're in your fancy clothes but your hat is missing). No armor, no weapons, no gear, nothing.

And on that happy note, we begin!!!


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum rubbed his temples, his head throbbing from the combination of last nights revelry and the beating. The bearded man's shouting didn't help.

He groaned softly and slid his fingers through his dark hair, pressing at his scalp. He then stopped and patted his head. Where? Looking down at himself, Callum noticed that, although he was still wearing his dark coat, much of the lustre had dulled by the filth and vomit. He stood brushing off what he could turning to the bearded man.

Aye, I'm sure the Cap'n must be tangled up in the sail lines waitin' to put us to task, but there's something that needs sayin'...

Callum's eyes went hard as he glared at the men.

Now I thank ye for at least putting me clothes back on when ye came a callin, but which one o' ye blaggards took me hat?


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xanxan makes note of the clothes he's wearing (as well as other things) and raises a blue brow as Goldteeth bellows. He thinks of saying something clever, when the fellow next to him asks about a hat.

"Afraid I've not seen it, goodfellow," The gnome pipes up, "Hope they haven't thrown it over board, the poor thing could be drowned."

Getting to his feet, he salutes smartly to the whipwielder, "Aye Aye, sir. Sir? If I might ask, be ye genuine pirates?" His green eyes are wide with wonder.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin sits up and promptly vomits, narrowly avoiding the man in the fancy clothes. "You were right, Tobias, it did burn much worse that direction. Tobias?" Calvin scrambles to his feet, slipping in his vomit. He looks around the small cabin before turning to the skinny man holding the whip. He puts on a falsely noble tone of voice as he says, "Excuse me good sir, but I appear to have lost my dodo. You haven't happened to see him, have you?"


The bearded man scowled at Callum, his voice harsh. Does it look like I give two s*@#s about yer hat you filthy maggot! Up on deck. His hand snaps forward and the whip cuts through the air, a loud crack filling the hold. A large line of red appears through the new tear in his shirt and Callum is almost brought to his knees from the pain.

Turning to Xanxan he smiled darkly, his lips peeling away from his gold teeth. You bet your little ass we're pirates and if you don't get yourself up on deck for the Cap'n, we'll be the last pirates you ever see.

Now all of you, move!

The man whips Callum with his whip.
Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 20, Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3 nonlethal
Crit confirm: 1d20 ⇒ 13, Crit bonus dmg: 1d3 ⇒ 3

Callum you take 10 points of nonlethal damage.


The man with the whip eyes Calvin, not saying a word as he raises the hand holding the whip. Do you need a lesson in following orders too?


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xanxan winces at the sound of the whip, That was a sting not so savored I'm thinking. Still.. pirates!

"On our way up, Bossun." He guesses at the man's position on the ship, and the small (is there any other kind?) gnome tries to help Callum up the stairway and a nod to Calvin"Come on lads, maybe your hat and your dodo are topside. Sides, no point in keeping the captain waiting." This game's not got any cards I'm ready to play, so tis always better to search the deck for better ones.

If the two don't come along after that, he'll head on his own. Pirates! I'll have to kill the whip man for kidnapping me, course, that's a given, but pirates! I should thank him when I do it. Fair's fair... and both are for later.


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Callum staggers under the blow and leans heavily on the gnome. He wants to see how thick the blood of Stormchaser runs in me, does he? Nay, his blood'll stain the deck before mine. He allows the gnome to guide him while muttering "They no be pirates. A pirate would know thems what needs pressin' and thems what don't."

Callum glanced at the bearded man. "An don' get yer whip in a knot, I be goin'."

Callum then turned to the gnome, "Thank ye lad. I be Callum Carnvegas, an' I'd say it's a pleasure to meet ye, but..." he said softly, motioning at the surroundings with his hand. He then straightened up and turned back to speak to the other prisoners, "an' I think yer in the right mind. As the lad said, we best head topside. An' don' let these fellas sour ya on sailin', there's naught better than the open sea."

With that he began to make his way to the deck.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
Callum Carnvegas wrote:

Callum staggers under the blow and leans heavily on the gnome. He wants to see how thick the blood of Stormchaser runs in me, does he? Nay, his blood'll stain the deck before mine. He allows the gnome to guide him while muttering "They no be pirates. A pirate would know thems what needs pressin' and thems what don't."

Callum glanced at the bearded man. "An don' get yer whip in a knot, I be goin'."

Callum then turned to the gnome, "Thank ye lad. I be Callum Carnvegas, an' I'd say it's a pleasure to meet ye, but..." he said softly, motioning at the surroundings with his hand. He then straightened up and turned back to speak to the other prisoners, "an' I think yer in the right mind. As the lad said, we best head topside. An' don' let these fellas sour ya on sailin', there's naught better than the open sea."

With that he began to make his way to the deck.

Xanxan heads up with him, his own voice low, "Xanxan Gimblewabe, and rest assured, I'll never stop lovin' the sea. Been a sailor most of my life, and while I'm anything but a patient fellow, one thing I've learned... all things change when the tide turns right." He smiles with a grin almost too wide for his small head.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Awakening with a groan, Jirobo rubs his feathered scalp, feeling the large knot pulsing faintly upon it. The little birdman rolls to his feet at the sound of a cracking whip meeting flesh, "This not inn or lighthouse. Where is this?" His eyes blink fast as he shifts his head back and forth to take in the surroundings. Jirobo ruffles his feather as he hops forward to do what the yelling man tells him to do.

He takes a moment, while falling in line behind a gnome helping a much larger man, to check his possessions only to discover he has nothing but the literal cloths on his back. Jirobo quivers with anxiety, almost on the cusp of a panic attack, "Where is my coins? Pretty shiny coins, oooh mother is going to be so angry at me if no bread and sugar is brought back. She will say 'Jirobo, you are naughty. Did you spend all our coins on some pretty stone again?'. But no mother, I not touch a single pretty thing."


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
Jirobo the Storm Crow wrote:

He takes a moment, while falling in line behind a gnome helping a much larger man, to check his possessions only to discover he has nothing but the literal cloths on his back. Jirobo quivers with anxiety, almost on the cusp of a panic attack, "Where is my coins? Pretty shiny coins, oooh mother is going to be so angry at me if no bread and sugar is brought back. She will say 'Jirobo, you are naughty. Did you spend all our coins on some pretty stone again?'. But no mother, I not touch a single pretty thing."

Noticing someone is following them up, Xanxan whips his head around ready for ANOTHER human, only to find a creature he's never seen before, "A birdman? You're a bird...and a man! I've never met a birdman before. Do you lay eggs? Do you fly south in winter? I... oh sorry, I'm Xanxan and I do not lay eggs. They took everything from us as well. Are you missing eggs?"


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12
Xanxan Gimblewabe wrote:


Noticing someone is following them up, Xanxan whips his head around ready for ANOTHER human, only to find a creature he's never seen before, "A birdman? You're a bird...and a man! I've never met a birdman before. Do you lay eggs? Do you fly south in winter? I... oh sorry, I'm Xanxan and I do not lay eggs. They took everything from us as well. Are you missing eggs?"

Jirobo takes several calming breaths as he looks over the curious gnome, "My name is Jirobo, or Jiro my mother calls me sometimes. I am not birdman, I am tengu. You are very short for a pink man. You a halfling? I lay no eggs, I'm a cock. Mother says when a cock and a hen love one another then the hen will lay eggs. I never met other hen than mother before. You know where we are, Xanxan?" Somehow, talking to the excitable gnome seems to settle Jirobo's anxiety or at least diverting his attention from the more pressing matters at hand.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

The gnome grins widely at that answer SO many wordplay opportunities, so little time. "A tengu eh? Neat! You are the first tengu I've ever met. And I? I am no halfling, I am a gnome...the first gnome you've ever met. That MEANS something. Exactly what, I know not. But something nonetheless. And I'm afraid I don't even know the name of the ship we're on... but I do know the captain's name is Harrigan. Goldteeth snarled it as us loud enough. Looks like we've been crimped but proper."


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

The glare from the lantern feels like sharkteeth driven through his eyes, as Ko'ulu awakens, his eyes heavily lidded. He grimaces as he rolls over, his brain feeling like cotton batting pissed on by a drunk cat. Despite the agony between his ears, he moves with the ease of one long used to the sea, rolling to his feet in a crouch, his bare feet slapping the deck.

Finally the words of the bearded man, and the crack of a whip make its way through his mind, and a wash of fear focuses his mind with crystal precision.

They are armed, I am not. There are six of them and..., Ko'ulu glances around, none of these look to be worth anything in a close fight.

Ko'ulu smiles broadly and unclenches his fists.

"Hey boss man, you say we are on duty? That be great boss man! I needed to get on a boat, what great luck for Ko'ulu."

Seeing the bearded man impatiently pointing with his whip, and the men behind him tapping their saps, obviously looking for an opportunity to use them, Ko'ulu nods his head, still smiling, and makes his way up the passage to the deck.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

The crack of the whip shattered his sublime unconsciousness.

Darkness. Shouting. Bedlam. Panic. Young Tully flailed around on the floor like a newborn foal. First elbows, then knees, and finally feet found the deck, forcing their owner, almost without his volition, to standing.

Light. Men. Many men. More shouting. Another whip crack. Comprehension swelled within him like a tide. But, then the wave hit.

Pain blasted through his eyes like hot needles. He staggered. The bulkhead rushed forward to meet him, too fast. His skin was cold. His skin prickled, then he was drenched in sweat. He wanted to hold on to the bulkhead, it was solid, stable, but now it was rushing away from him. Vaguely, in the deep recesses of his mind, he was aware of a desire, almost a need, not to appear weak in front of these men. Then every desire left him and all he knew was the exquisite horror of his nausea.

The men around him were talking, and moving. He was gasping for breath. He eased himself back onto his feet. Movement was agony. He crashed again into the bulkhead. Oh gods! Is the whole of the world moving beneath my feet?

He had to follow them. It was important. It was necessary. He fetched up hard against the sturdy Mwangi leading him. Uuhnf! Apologies, friend. Swallow the bile. Don't think about it. Breathe. Please. I ignored the lessons the Asmodeans tried to teach me. Can you tell me, which of the hells is this?


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu looks over his shoulder after the man bumps up against him. Pretty boy. They are going to eat him alive...too bad.

"You are still in the world man. This isn't hell...we got plenty of fresh air, lots of hard work, terrible food and probably no pay...but we are on the water, and the ocean, she's a good place to be alive." Ko'ulu smiles, a flash of white teeth in the gloom of the passage way.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

The man smiled kindly. That was welcome.

His words were nonsense of course. "Fresh air"? Tully had never smelled anything less fresh in his life. The very wood around him was impregnated with the stink of humanity, mold, vomit, and even less pleasant aromas. "Hard work" was trying to goad his mind into studying his lessons and learning his ledgers. But, he had left that past life behind him. "Water"? "Ocean"? That was the sheerest tomfoolery! He was in some storeroom below the Formidably Maid, surely. Perhaps this man was as post-drink addled as Tully felt. But, why in all the gods' name won't this bloody floor stand still?!

He nodded. The others were moving. He couldn't get a proper look at them, yet. Daylight was the answer. Up the stairs. Sanity was at the top of the stairs.

He held his hand out to the man. T-Tully. A-at your service, sir.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin is angered by the man's unhelpful nature. He stares at the man - his face calm, but his eyes closing slightly. He envisions the man's whip transforming into a snake and then turning to bite the man's neck. He projects this image to the man.

Evil Eye Hex - DC15 Will Save. No intention to attack, just to freak out.

Regardless of whether it works or not, Calvin will follow the others to the deck. He moves close to Jirobo and whispers quietly, "Were you a man first or a bird? The combination is flawless. Who crafted you?"


Will save: 1d20 ⇒ 3


The man looks at the whip in his hand with revulsion before turning to the group of you. You think you're being cute you little bastards! You're so quick to learn your first lesson already?! With a wave of his hand, the men around him move forward and give you all a solid thumping with their saps.

This is not intended to be a full combat. If you guys want to actively try to attack them back, you can and we'll go on Initiative at that point but you get the impression that it's a one and done type of thing, at least from them for now. And the attack is on all of you because he has no way of telling which of you hexed him.

Sap attack on Calvin: 1d20 ⇒ 16, 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 nonlethal
Sap attack on Tully: 1d20 ⇒ 15, 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 nonlethal
Sap attack on Jirobo: 1d20 ⇒ 12, 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 nonlethal
Sap attack on Xanxan: 1d20 ⇒ 10, 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 nonlethal
Sap attack on Ko'ulu: 1d20 ⇒ 15, 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 nonlethal
Sap attack on Callum: 1d20 ⇒ 7, 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 nonlethal

Calvin, Tully and Ko'ulu are hit.

I'll post the next update once I have a general sense of how people will react to this.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin buckles under the blow and falls to his knees. He looks to the others who were hit and feels badly - his little trick was the cause for the "lesson." If only Tobias were here. He keeps me out of trouble...

He stands back up, head down, and follows the others out of the cabin.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xanxan turns to see not just other prisoners, but the club wielding gang. The latter rushing up behind them , he immediately ducks..and is rewarded as a club arcs over him... rather than fight back, he fakes helplessness, "I didn't do anything, I swear it!" I'm only PLANNING to kill goldteeth someday

He also turns his eyes on just what the Crimps with clubs, and if he can still see Goldteeth from here, what they and that man might be wearing as well... particularly keys, or maps, small knives in boots, that sort of thing.

He can't make a play just yet, but its always good to know who carries what in case you get a chance to pick them clean later.

Perception": 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

If he sees too good a chance to grab a small weapon and squirrel it away, he might change his mind and try it.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo shuffles from one foot to the other, wringing his feathered hands at Xanxan's words ring in his head, "We are on a ship? I have never been on a ship. At least not since I hatched. Mother says we sailed on a ship once but I was a mere egg at time. Is the ship going to sail far away? I shall be in big trouble if I am gone a long time." His eyes dart over to 'Goldteeth' and his nasty whip, sizing up the much larger man. He whispers to Xanxan again, his voice low as not to draw the attention of the larger predator watching them like so many slabs of meat, "I don't like man with the whip. Mother says you should never hit others. Bad karma-juju follows. Like big wave that follows an earthshaker."

Jirobo is startled from out of his hushed discussion with Xanxan the gnome as another large pink man slides close and seems to dissect the tengu with his eyes. His questions however get Jirobo's feathers up as he whispers a hasty correction at the man, "Crafted? Tengu hatched like every other being. Old spirits who molded the world from muddy ocean in the beginning give form to the first tengu to be the eyes of the spirits. I am Jirobo, not bird or man but tengu." Jirobo suddenly stops as the other bad men following 'Goldteeth' close in and swing hard leather clubs at them. The little tengu ducks low and cringes next to Xanxan.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

A sharp pain catches Ko'ulu aside his head, staggering him into the passage wall with a wooden thud. The world swims, dissolves into jagged shards, before reforming into the gloom of the passage in the bowls of the ship.

Ko'ulu pushes against the wall to stand back up and tastes the coppery tang of blood in his mouth. I bit through my lip...I guess its to be expected that they act like a gang of thugs...

Ko'ulu turns around and looks again at the bossman and the other sailors, his eyes narrow for a second as he searches for the one who hit him.

DM:
Gotta add some flavor, sorry.
The closest sailor, a sun-browned long-limbed plank with a gold hoop in his ear and though his nose, is still eyeing him, his sap held loosely in his hand.

Ko'ulu grins at him, blood limning his teeth into a horrid rictus, a small trail dripping from his chin and onto the floor with a plink-plink.

"I like you...I think we are going to be friends, man."

Ko'ulu turns and resumes his trek up the passageway to the sunlight and air.


If the lantern light was a shard, then stepping out on deck was like a lance of burning heat as you all squint your eyes against the bright noon-day sun. Steadying yourselves against each other, you all confirm what many of you suspected. Stretching out around you was nothing but the rolling blue waters of the Fever Sea. A dark smudge on the horizon might have been land and Port Peril but if it was then it was too far distant to make out any details.

The sky was an empty, beautiful blue without a cloud in it. The waters below the ship were a startlingly clear turquoise, so clear you swear you could almost see the bottom. The heat of the day was already baking down and it seemed to be a perfect day in the Shackles. The weather of course was in stark contrast to the situation you currently found yourselves in.

Coming up on deck you see a bunch of people spread out around the mainmast of the ship, looking up towards the higher deck on the stern of the ship. Standing up there you see two men, looking down on the gathered lot of sailors. One of them is a large, barrel-chested man with the dark skin that clearly marked him of Garundi descent. His head was shaved bald, he sported a long beard bound in gold rings and an eye patch hid where his left eye used to be. Hands resting on the rails his face stern, he could only be the captain.

The other man stood slightly behind and to the side of the captain, a younger man in a long coat with an open shirt on underneath. He was balding but trying to hide the fact with a long black ponytail falling down his back from the ring of hair he did have left. He wore a sneer easily on his face and there was a well used and wicked looking cat-o'-nine-tails hanging at his waist.

The captain watches as the six of you are brought up the stairs. Glad you could join us at last! Welcome to the Wormwood! My thanks for "volunteering" to join my crew. My name is Barnabas Harrigan. That's Captain Barnabas Harrigan to you, not that you'll ever need to address me. I have only one rule he pauses before continuing don't ever speak to me. I like talk but I don't like your talk. Follow that rule and we'll get along fine.

As he's speaking you can see that you six aren't the only new members of the crew. Standing close to you are four other individuals who seem to be in the same predicament you find yourselves in. It's pretty easy to gage this as they, like you, seem fairly clean compared to the rest of the crew and they too look a bit uneasy at their new situation.

Harrigan leans forward and looks to you six and the four other new people near you. Oh, and one more thing. Even with you new recruits, we're still short-handed, and I aim to keep what crew I have. There'll be a keelhaulin' for anyone caught killin' anyone. Mr. Plugg! At this, the balding young man steps forward from behind the captain. If you'd be so kind as to make pirates out of these landlubbers, it'll save me having to put them in the sweatbox for a year and a day before I make pies out of 'em.

With that, Harrigan walks off heading for his private quarters. As he does so, Mister Plugg comes down the stairs towards the lot of you, an unpleasant smile on his face. The other veteran sailors move off to be about their tasks as the ten of you face the captain's first mate.

Alright you filthy bilge rats, you heard the Cap'n! My name's Mr. Plugg and I will make pirates out of you, or I'll kill ya' trying. I don't know what good any of you soft lot will be but we'll find out soon. First thing's first, we need a new rigger as our last one was a bit too far into his cups the last time he went up to work. Plugg tilts his head up to look at the crow's nest high up at the top of the mainmast before barking orders to the lot of you. Get your asses up those ropes to the crow's nest, on the double!

The four other press-ganged crew scramble at Plugg's orders towards the ropes and guidelines on the side of the ship, starting to climb meekly towards the crow's nest.

The crow's nest is 60ft above the ship. Unless you have some ability I don't know about, you move at 1/4 speed on a successful Climb check or 1/2 speed with an accelerated climb. It is a DC 10 Climb check to get up the ropes (or DC 15 if you're using accelerated climb). With 30ft movement, assuming normal Climb movement and no failures, you'd be looking at 4 rounds to get up there or 8 successful checks. To save time, please post 10-15 Climb checks at once so that we'll be able to determine how long it takes you to get up there. Please also note which, if any, of those checks are using accelerated climbing.

If any of you are not climbing, please indicate what it is that you're doing instead.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Jirobo jumps at the crack of Mr. Plugg's voice before scrambling toward the numerous ropes, nets, and masts towering overhead. The little tengu gulps as he tries to plot a path up the lines toward the top. It's easy, Jirobo, no harder than climbing all those stairs at the lighthouse. Oh mother, father, I'm in so much trouble. His hands clutch at the first hold as he starts to attempt his ascent.

Climb Checks:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 81d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 101d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 81d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 151d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 141d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 41d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 181d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 161d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 121d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 121d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 201d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 201d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 161d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 161d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin looks to Plugg and says, "I don't suppose you've seen Tobias have you?" Assuming the answer will be "no," Calvin begins the climb.

Climb Checks - normal speed
15d20 ⇒ (19, 2, 8, 10, 17, 18, 13, 20, 18, 7, 10, 7, 6, 1, 9) = 165

If I fall - which it looks like I do, several times - I will cast "Feather Fall" and resume climbing.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xanxan blinks at the light, then looks around noting the new bloods. Then the captain speaks.

It's a good thing he was warned not to talk to him, because Xanxan's mouth opens for a moment, but fortunately no words pop out.

Then...Mr. Plugg speaks

Quote:
"Alright you filthy bilge rats, you heard the Cap'n! My name's Mr. Plugg and I will make pirates out of you, or I'll kill ya' trying. I don't know what good any of you soft lot will be but we'll find out soon. First thing's first, we need a new rigger as our last one was a bit too far into his cups the last time he went up to work. Plugg tilts his head up to look at the crow's nest high up at the top of the mainmast before barking orders to the lot of you. Get your asses up those ropes to the crow's nest, on the double!"

Xanxan's eyes shoot up to the crow's nest. It's a dangerous job, on even legal ships, many a man has fallen to his death from such heights. It's a lonely position, one with a birds eye view on everything..

Right where I want to be. Normal sized fellows like me ain't the best for climbing, but I dare say I've got more experience than some.

Xanxan salutes like the trained sailor he is, "As you like it, Mr. Plugg."

Climb checks:

Accelerated Climb": 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
rest will be normal pace
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
[1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Should he start to fall, he'll try to catch himself or tumble as soft as possible, then try once more

Acrobatics": 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

Blinking his eyes to get used to the light, Callum listened to 'his' captain and then to Mr. Plugg's orders.

"Aye aye, Mr. Plugg."

Looking up to the crows nest, Callum shrugged off his coat and quickly tossed it onto a nearby barrel. As he approached the rigging, he took note of the wind and the tautness of the ropes leading up to the crow's nest. He spat on his hands and placed them on the bottom ropes to get a feel for them as he took a couple of deep breaths. All right Cal, ye've done this a thousand times. In storms no less. Let's go! he thought as he grunted, jumping up on the rigging, and quickly began his climb.

Checks:
With Callum quickly checking things out and taking a calming breath along with his former life on a ship, would it be possible for him to take 10? If so, Callum will take 10 on accelerated climbing for:Take 10 = 10 + 5 = 15.

Here are some fluff rolls if you wanted them for Perception (wind/ropes), Survival (wind) and Prof-sailor(ropes/history) respectively:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9, 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19, 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

If he is too distracted and thus unable to take 10 he'll climb normally, the first being accelerated and then, realizing he was too distracted, normal speed for the rest. He might try to pick up speed if someone passes him, however (No landlubber is going to beat me at this!). Just use the right die at the right time. Should he need an Acro check, feel free to use one of the other rolls, except that it's +2 instead of +5.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24*accel
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


Male Human Sea Singer 1

There was a flash of light behind his eyelids. It was several seconds before Tully realized he had found the deck for the third time in the few minutes since he had been snapped to consciousness. A dull throbbing pain in the back of his head surged forward to mingle with the sharp, piercing pain in the front. Someone struck me!

The Mwangi was bloodied. The others were cowering, or scrambling up the gangway as quickly as they could. There was little else to be done. I am under the power of brutal men, who meet obedience with as much brutality as defiance. Stay your tongue. Breathe. On your feet. Breathe. Take the first step. Now the second. Breathe. Keep at it.

The sunlight was a horrible blessing. Nothing in all of Tully's short life was more desirable and less welcome. Inheritor be merciful! This is a ship! What's more, a ship far from land! The Mwangi was right!

As the sun clears the morning fog, lucidity burned away the clouds within his mind. Shouting became words. And those words... "Wormwood", "Captain Barnabas Harrigan", "Mr. Plugg", "volunteering?".

DM:
Knowledge (Local) check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 Feel free to disregard if you feel like I didn't perhaps spend enough time in Port Peril to gain any useful information.

Mr. Plugg wrote:
Get your asses up those ropes to the crow's nest, on the double!

Tully didn't hesitate. An escape, even momentary, from this delirium filled nightmare was necessary. Time. I need time to think. Up the rigging. Sanity is at the top of the rigging.

Regular Climb Checks:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Don't ever speak to him? Think he is such a big man...can't be that good, otherwise he would keep a crew...At least I am on the ocean...I will bide my time.

Ko'ulu watches the young man from the passage take to the rigging like a monkey.

I hope I can do half as well...

He reaches out, grabs a ratline and swings himself up to the rigging and begins to climb.

No reason to climb fast though, I don't need to stand out...

lots o' climbing:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Check #10 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

The air isn't cooler, so much as fresher. The breeze gets stronger the higher that Ko'ulu climbs, stripping away the stench of bilge, rotten food and stale water that every large ship exudes. Soon he is enjoying himself as he moves up the ropes. The voices from below are muffled by the wind and creak of rope and sail.

In the crow's nest, Ko'ulu grins at the young man who climbed up with solid skill. "The ship, she moves with the wind and wave man. You don't seem to be liking her breathing too much, do you?" He asks as the crow's nest moves nearly five feet from side to side with the movement of the ship. The slight tilt of the deck is also magnified by the crow's nest's distance above it, and the seemingly solid perch hangs out over the water, rather than directly over the deck.

Spoiler:
Too much geometry and trig recently...

Ko'ulu spits a bloody gob over the side of the nest to the water below before turning back to the young man. "I am Ko'ulu. What do they who know you call you?"


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully didn't fear heights. At least, he had never believed that he feared heights. But then, the spires of Westcrown stood straight and level, and they never, never moved.

The climb had been nothing. The rigging was sturdy enough and Tully was an agile climber. With his eyes firmly on his destination, he made the ascent without so much as a pause. He never considered scrambling over the side, as a proper seaman would. But, rather, shimmied up the backstay, clambering through the "lubber's hole" without a hint of irony.

Respite. Tranquility. They evaporated like a mist. Iomedae! Lady, be merciful! The crows nest canted at an impossible angle. Beneath his feet, rough planks felt like ice, and every moment he felt he would slide off into... what? There was nothing! Empty air for hundreds of feet down into a limitless ocean. If only it had been still it would have been merely terrifying. But with every pitch and roll of the ship the mast traced a broad oval in the clear blue sky. Every twist and turn felt like a malicious giant was trying to shake him loose.

Tully closed his eyes, arms crooked firmly around the mast. What have I done, Lady?

The Mwangi hefted himself over the side with a true seaman's grace. Tully gave no thought to the fact that he had disdained the "lubber's hole".

Ko'ulu wrote:
"The ship, she moves with the wind and wave man. You don't seem to be liking her breathing too much, do you?"

They enjoy brutality below. Will they take joy in my suffering up here, as well?

Ko'ulu wrote:
"I am Ko'ulu. What do they who know you call you?"

The... The Jacks at the docks called me Young Tully. Or just... Just Tully, if you please, sir.


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

"Tully man, eyes to the horizon. She doesn't move, it might help." Ko'ulu says, braced to the corner and moving with the swell as one born to it.

"You need to save your boots for land. Man, your feet can't hold you, your toes can't grip the ropes if they are covered. You did good getting up here though, the others, not so much luck for them."


After a couple of minutes of climbing you all return to the deck where Plugg is waiting. Some of you might have some potential but the rest of you aren't fit for bait! Apparently Besmara decided to curse me with you wretched lot.

He points to Callum. You handled yourself well enough up there. You're my new rigger. He turns to the remaining nine of you. The rest of you lot would hang yourselves if I assigned you up there.

Alright. Next, can any of you sorry sacks cook?

Based on Callum's expressed intention to not be outdone, his rolls would allow him to speed to the top whenever he looked like he was dropping behind.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

Xanxan wipes his brow after the climbing Not my best by far, but Callum seemed a decent fellow from my short talk with him. So good on 'im. Well won.

He gives a respectful nod to the hatless one.

Quote:
"Alright. Next, can any of you sorry sacks cook?"

"I could probably burn water, Mr. Plugg... err so no, sir."


Male Fisherman 4, Hp: 31/31, AC 17, T:12, FF:15, F+3, R+0, W+1

Ko'ulu just stands there, looking stupid.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

The shouting from the main deck had grown quite insistent by the time Tully was able release his grip on the masthead, and begin his descent down the backstay. The journey down, somehow, seemed to take an eternity. Unable to look up or down, Tully continued walking hand-over-hand down the rope, his mind's-eye fixed resolutely on the anticipated end of this trial.

The solid "thunk" of boot leather striking deck beam was a very reassuring sound. Tully took a calming breath, delighting in the newly perceived solidity of the main deck, and opened his eyes to-By the nine hoary Hells! A Strix! The solid "thunk" of backside striking deck beam went unnoticed.

The Strix were the bogeymen of Chelaxian legend. Man-like, winged demons who delighted in hunting down and killing humans. Parents disciplined their children with such tales, "Do your chores, or the Strix will carry you off to their eyries!"

Tully was never really skeptical. But, he'd never imagined that he might actually see one. Yet, standing before him was unquestionably a man-shaped bird. The creature rolled a surprised eye upon him, clicking his beak with little jerky movements. Wait... Do the Strix have beaks? Somehow, he didn't think so.

Tully did a scrambling crab-walk back towards the ship's rail, though the creature didn't seem too interested in murdering him.

Mr. Plugg wrote:
...can any of you sorry sacks cook?

Cook? Who could ever think of food on this nightmare ship? Tully had never cooked anything in his life. On the other hand, the ship's galley was probably about as far from the crows nest, and a man-hunting Strix, as he could get.

I think maybe I could give it a try...


Male Human Freebooter 3 / Pirate 1 [HP 37/37 || AC 17, T 12, FF 14 || F +4, R +7, W +2]

During the climb, Callum found himself neck and neck with the young man and Mwangi. He was even falling behind. Pulling on his reserves, he raced up the last length, making it barely before the other two.

Ko'ulu wrote:
"I am Ko'ulu. What do they who know you call you?"
Young Tully wrote:
"The... The Jacks at the docks called me Young Tully. Or just... Just Tully, if you please, sir."

"An' I be Callum, Callum Carnvegas. Ye've given me a run fer me gold an' I've a sense ye've got a bit of the sea in ye. Tully, ye'd best do listen to Ko'ulu, he's doin' right on ye by advice on gettin yer legs at this height."

Smiling he then turned to shout encouragement to the others noticing them returning at the call of Mr. Plugg. "Heh, ye were hot on me heels too, weren' ye Xanxan," he laughed in the fresh air. "Ah! It was a good run all o' ye!"

I don' know how they done it, but mayhap they pressed a good crew here. We'll see how long they can keep it.

He paused for a few breaths and to take in the view, before climbing back down the rigging to the deck where he collected his coat and stood beside the others.

Mr. Plugg wrote:
Pointing to Callum, "You handled yourself well enough up there. You're my new rigger." He turns to the remaining nine prisoners. "The rest of you lot would hang yourselves if I assigned you up there."

"Now I think they all done well enough, and many came close te gettin' atop me. Still, I defer te yer better judgement. Thank ye fer me duties," he said making to doff his hat towards Mr. Plug and remembering at the last minute it wasn't there and turning it into a salute and a nod.

He then stepped back to listen to Mr. Plugg's search for a new cook and looked around to see if he could find signs of his hat on the rest of the crew.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6

Calvin, seeing that he was beaten handily, let go of the netting and fell back down slowly. After landing on the rocking deck, he surveyed the ship to see if Tobias could be seen.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21


Male Human Sea Singer 1
Callum Carnvegas wrote:
An' I be Callum, Callum Carnvegas.

Tully could only gawk as the agile seaman swayed easily with the exaggerated swoop and roll of the crows nest. He bowed as much as possible without releasing his hold on the mast. Your servant, sir.

Sadly, it's not my legs that concern me, but my wings. Or, rather, my lack thereof.

OOC:
Place this conversation back in the nest.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
Quote:
"Smiling he then turned to shout encouragement to the others noticing them returning at the call of Mr. Plugg. "Heh, ye were hot on me heels too, weren' ye Xanxan," he laughed in the fresh air. "Ah! It was a good run all o' ye"

"Well, for those of us of normal stature, there's a bit more of a challenge to making great bounds even upward, but as I said, I've been a sailor all me life." He nods in agreement, "Good run by many I'm thinking as well."

He considers the four others, how they did Maybe we'll need allies before all is said and done to get out of this. Those four are quiet mind. Probably scared. Still, it makes folks harder to know when they don't speak up.

Perception check among the four
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Sense motive if that helps
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Callum: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Tully: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Calvin: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Xanxan: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Jirobo: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Ko'ulu: 1d6 ⇒ 3


As Tully spoke up Plugg gave him a look before nodding his head. Eh, you can't be much worse than the drunk. Alright you're a cook's mate now. Report to Fishguts in the galley.

With that he turns to the remaining eight of you. Looks like you lot are my new swabs! He waves over the man with the whip before turning back to you with an evil smile. Some of you have already met Master Scourge, our boatswain and master-at-arms. You lot will follow his orders to the letter. If he says jump, your asses better already be in the air! And he reports to me, so don't let me hear any bad news. Sometimes he can be a bit soft on you fresh fish but know that I won't be so kind!

With that Plugg moves off, directing Callum to follow him. As Tully moves towards the door to the ship's galley, Scourge moves forward with a dark grin on his face.

Day 1:

Callum:

Plugg leads you towards the center of the boat before pointing at the mainsail. You're to be monitoring and trimming the mainsail. You keep those ropes taught and raise and lower the sail as needed.

Your daily task requires either a Profession (sailor) or Strength check. Additionally you also need to make a Con check to see if you are Fatigued at the end of your shift.

Tully:

You make your way into the galley to find a round man in an apron generously helping himself to a bottle of wine. He looks you over as you walk in before taking another swig. So Plugg wants you to help me does he? Fair enough. Name's Ambrose Kroop, ship's cook. Although folks seem to call me 'Fishguts' often as not.

He waves a hand around the galley before continuing. This is what we have to work with you and I. It's an easy enough job although you get no love from the crew for screwing it up, let me tell you. You'll help me cook the meals, serve the meals, catch the food for the meals when necessary. Simple enough.

He moves towards you, the smell of wine strong on his breath as he lowers his voice for effect. You watch yourself around here. This ship is poison, it is but don't let anyone hear you say that out loud. The hull listens, see, and the cap'n hears it all. Poison the Wormwood is, though, rotten to the core. You'll not meet a more nasty, sour piece of work than Cap'n Harrigan in all your days at sea, and his crew's the same, 'specially the first mate, Mr. Plugg. Vicious little sod, he is. He'd take his own mother's liver to the butcher to make pies with , he would. But they leave me alone, mostly. They know I can't 'arm 'em.

With that he moves back towards a counter and begins working. Well then let's get to it.

As Kroop isn't fall down drunk, your task today requires no check. You do however get the impression that this might not always be the case and that if so, your job might be all the harder on your own.

Everyone Else:

Scourge calls you around him before assigning tasks. He points to a mop and large block of sandstone before looking at Ko'ulu. I want this deck so clean Besmara herself would be pleased to eat off it. Mop it and scrub it with the holystones.

Your daily task requires either a Strength or Con check. No matter the choice, if you fail the check you are Fatigued at the end of your shift.

He turns to Xanxan and Jirobo. You two, midget and chicken. You're to haul the ropes that need hauling and make sure no knots develop in the lines.

Your daily task requires either a Profession (sailor) or Strength check. Additionally you also need to make a Con check to see if you are Fatigued at the end of your shift.

Lastly he points at Calvin, a completely unpleasant smile on his face. Today you're my b@+@@ bilge boy. Get down into the bilges and keep that area clean and clear.

Your daily task requires a Strength check. Additionally you also need to make a Con check to see if you are Fatigued at the end of your shift.

Before posting responses, make sure to read the OOC thread and the Campaign Info tab carefully to understand the nature of the "game cycle".

Additionally, anyone who is "unaccustomed" to life on board a ship needs to make a DC 5 Fort save or be Nauseated for the day due to Seasickness which may impact any checks you make for the day. Include this in your post please. I leave it to your discretion as to whether or not your character would need to worry about this. Callum and Ko'ulu probably are fine where as Jirobo might need to deal with this. But it's up to you each of you to determine.

Also, when posting your checks and what daily action you'll be taking during work, feel free to elaborate on what you do and how your job work goes. This doesn't need to be just a series of skill checks and that's it. Give it some flavor. :-) Also I've left the DC's off of the skill checks as I want it to be a bit of a mystery at first. I'll include them later as we go forward.

I'll post responses to your various updates as appropriate.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)
Quote:
He turns to Xanxan and Jirobo. You two, midget and chicken. You're to haul the ropes that need hauling and make sure no knots develop in the lines.

Xanxan makes a note of scourge's name So gold teeth has yet another one. , and nods, "Aye," He looks to Jirobo, "let's look lively and get to it. It's hard work mind, taking skill with knots or just good muscle. But we can get to 'er."

Used to the sway of merchant ships, a pirate ship is little different in that so Xanxan's sealegs are old companions to him. Not sure how ship wise the Tengu is, he'll train him a bit if he can.

Profession Sailor roll
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Constitution roll
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Today, Xanxan works happily despite that it is labor, humming and whistling as he does. And sometimes speaking odd poems, "The autumn wind's a pirate,
Blustering in from sea;
With a rollicking song, he sweeps along,
Swaggering boist'rously.

His skin is weather-beaten;
He wears a yellow sash,
With a handkerchief red about his head.
And a bristling black mustache.

He laughs as he storms the country,
A loud laugh and a bold;
And the trees all quake and shiver and shake,
As he robs them of their gold.

The autumn wind's a pirate,
Pillaging just for fun;
He'll snatch your hat as quick as that,
And laugh to see you run!"

Creator of poem, one Mary Jane Carr

Daily Action.- sneak...

While he hates to leave Jirobo alone for too long, he's eager to see other parts of the ship, most particularly he'd like to eavesdrop on the Captain and the higher ups to learn where they are heading. While Xamxam would be cautious about going TO the captain's cabin, he certainly wouldn't mind getting round side to it and seeing if he could hear through the wood.

If he should stumble instead onto either a dodo or a hat, he'll abandon that plan and try to retrieve one of em. No point in not helping a fellow Crimpee out.

some rolls that might help. Hope I'm doing the action right. I know it says no chance of detection but I get paranoid. :)

Perception": 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Stealth to hide if he sees someone about to spot him": 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


Xanxan:
As you're working, you try to get an idea of what the captain's cabin is like or what goes on behind the closed doors but it proves difficult as you only catch glimpses of the room. At one point you catch a few minutes to yourself, loitering near one of the doors to the cabin but a glance is still all you manage.

It appears to be a finely appointed room with a large bed in the center. There appear to be 4 port holes along the walls that one could squeeze through with some effort. That's all you manage to see before you hop back to work so as to avoid being spotted.

A Perception check of a 7 isn't enough to give you much but at least you weren't caught trying to spy on the captain. Don't worry, if the task says you won't be detected, then you won't be.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 27/27)

DM and anyone else who wants to peek:
Xanxan gets back to work with all due haste and hums another ditty as he does so.

Well, no doubt any captain gets the Sea Lion's share...but I knew that. I think perhaps its time to consider how to get rid of Mister Scourge, the Captain, and Mr. Plugg... but how, and in what order?

He feels a burst of impatience, but that will just make him pick up the pace with the phyical work.

Plotting bloody revenge and sailing... that's the pirate's way, after all.


Male Human Sea Singer 1

Tully had frequently struggled with seasickness during his journey south to Port Peril. Normally, it only harassed him when the seas ran wild. But, with all the strain and anxiety he was under, his stomach, never the strongest, was on the verge of revolt.

Seasickness:
Fortitude Save 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11

Fishguts wrote:
Name's Ambrose Kroop, ship's cook. Although folks seem to call me 'Fishguts' often as not. This is what we have to work with you and I. It's an easy enough job although you get no love from the crew for screwing it up, let me tell you.

Greetings, Master Ambrose. This is an impressive setup, though I suspect it is only your expertise that makes this job so easy. From the little I've seen of this ship, I can guess only too well the difficulties the crew can put you through.

Tully guessed that a small amount of deference and sympathy, a rarity in this ship, would be enough to win the cook over.

Sense Motive:
To determine if the results of his flattery1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

Fishguts wrote:
You watch yourself around here. This ship is poison, it is but don't let anyone hear you say that out loud. The hull listens, see, and the cap'n hears it all. Poison the Wormwood is, though, rotten to the core. You'll not meet a more nasty, sour piece of work than Cap'n Harrigan in all your days at sea, and his crew's the same, 'specially the first mate, Mr. Plugg. Vicious little sod, he is. He'd take his own mother's liver to the butcher to make pies with , he would. But they leave me alone, mostly. They know I can't 'arm 'em.

Tully filed away Fishguts ominous warnings. He suspected that with a tiny bit of prodding, and perhaps a prodigious amount of drink, the cook could become a fount of information. Even though Tully was barely a novice to sailing, and completely inexperienced as a pirate, he was a born conversationalist and storyteller. Fortunately, there was a wealth of topics about which he wished to inform himself. The politics of The Shackles, famous or notorious ships and captains, locales of importance and landmarks, unique creatures and races of the region. When the topics ran short, the technical craft of cooking kept Fishguts prattling on.

Diplomacy:
To improve Fishguts' attitude. 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

DM:
I'm not sure if this is relevant at this point. Part of my campaign trait, Barroom Talespinner: In addition, once per week you can make a DC 15 Knowledge (local) or Intelligence check to see if you know a popular legendary pirate tale, the telling of which grants you a +1 trait bonus on checks made to influence NPCs on the Wormwood. If it is: Knowledge (Local) Check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Tully:

You spend much of your time while helping Kroop chatting about various stories you've heard in the Shackles and other such topics. As you both carry on you get the impression that the man, while somewhat indifferent to your and your new companions' plight, is a friendly enough sort. With or without the wine. While the cooking and raw food might give your stomach something to complain about, you could think of worse people to have to work with.

You are correct with your use of the trait. Unfortunately, even with the additional +1 from it's use, your Diplomacy is not enough to sway Fishguts' attitude. Although the attempt does inform you of his current attitude. You now know that he is currently Indifferent to the PC's.


Human Witch 2 || HP 14/14 || AC 12 Touch 12, FF 10 || Fort +1, Ref +2, W +3 || Init +2, Per +6
GM wrote:


Lastly he points at Calvin, a completely unpleasant smile on his face. Today you're my b$%!* bilge boy. Get down into the bilges and keep that area clean and clear.

Calvin, while not pleased with this task, wasn't overly surprised. He had spent many hours in the bilge on the ship he grew up on. His captain often sent him there after one of the sailors complained of nightmares or found one of Calvin's failed experiments in his footlocker. It wasn't all bad. It gave him time alone to concoct new experiments. And it's where he first met Tobias.

He assumed the bilge wouldn't be that difficult to clean today - they had just been docked and surely it would have been flushed out in port. He was wrong. It appeared the area hadn't been pumped or cleaned in weeks. The water was shin-deep - or waist-deep on his new comrade - and smelled to high heaven. Nearly gagging, Calvin removed his shirt and wrapped it around his face to keep out the noxious smell.

Moving to the rusted and slimy bilge pump, Calvin began the tedious work of pumping out the waste. Fortunately, Scourge doesn't follow Calvin down into the space - choosing instead to let loose a tirade of cursed threats for what would happen to Calvin if the space wasn't spotless when he returned. Calvin chuckled to himself when noticed that Scourge refused to look him in the eye.

At one point during the day, Calvin snuck up to the hold above to search for Tobias.

Action: Sneak

Strength Check: 1d20 ⇒ 20
Constitution Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Calvin works incredibly hard - so hard that he is exhausted when the day is complete. But the bilge hasn't looked this good since the day the ship was built.

GM:

I'm not sure how to play my missing familiar - do I sense he's somewhere on the ship with me? Should I give up? I don't want to be annoying with the search, but Tobias is Calvin's best (only) friend.


HP 27 || AC 15, T 13, FF 12 || F +4, R +4, W +8 || Init +7, Per +12

Fort Save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Quote:
He turns to Xanxan and Jirobo. You two, midget and chicken. You're to haul the ropes that need hauling and make sure no knots develop in the lines.

Jirobo is completely lost as he has never set foot on a ship before this day. The rolling of the ship upon the ocean's waves nearly set his stomach to bubbling up but he is finally able to keep his bile down and trots after Xanxan. Luckily, Xanxan seems to know what he's doing so the tengu follows the gnome's lead, pulling ropes and making sure they go into tangle free spools.

Xanxan wrote:
"Aye," He looks to Jirobo, "let's look lively and get to it. It's hard work mind, taking skill with knots or just good muscle. But we can get to 'er."

Jirobo tries to keep up as best he can, working his body as hard as he ever has tried, "Ropes just like string I used to play with. Round and round go the little strands, yonder and over again and again." He begins to hum along to the song that Xanxan sings, not really knowing the words himself but picking up on the underlying melody soon enough.

Jirobo will be working diligently at least this first time, too scared and lost to do anything else but what the big mean guys with whips tell them to do.

Strength Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Constitution Check: 1d20 ⇒ 17

1 to 50 of 1,114 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMJ's Skull & Shackles, Part 1: The Wormwood Mutiny All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.