Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

DM Jesse's Kingmaker PbP

Game Master Jesse Heinig

Current map: The Stolen Lands

Swag Bag

Provisions: 41 person-days

Current Party XP Total: 9,727


1 to 50 of 1,903 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

"Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration should be limited to an area no further than thirty-six miles east and west and sixty miles south of Oleg’s Trading Post. The carrier of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior to be encountered. The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope. So witnessed on this 24th day of Calistril, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov and authority granted by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of the Dragonscale Throne."

So says the Charter held by your group, a small assemblage of unusual travelers and fortune-seekers brought together by shared bonds of family or fortune. From the city of Restov it is merely a short hike along the South Rostland Road and then down a rutted trail to the old fortification-turned-trading post at the edge of the Greenbelt.

Oleg’s trading post is surrounded by a wooden palisade that stands 10 feet high. At each corner of the palisade are 20-foot square watchtowers, each armed with a run-down catapult left over from the site’s original use as a border fort.

In your short and uneventful journey to this last outpost of Brevic civilization, you have had a small amount of time to learn about one another and your respective capabilities -- at least, as much as your traveling companions are willing to share. The prospect of exploring these dangerous lands is at once exhilarating and forbidding.

If the condition of the trading post is any indication, security and shelter will be hard to come by in these lands.

Take a post or two to engage in a little banter and perhaps establish something about yourself -- you've just arrived outside the gates of Oleg's trading post, which you can see on the Roll20 map page linked here.


Ranger 2/Stalker 1 | HP 24/24 | AC 17, Touch 13, FF 14 | CMB +4 | CMD 17 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2 | Init +3 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night) | Ki Pool 2/2
Beast Form:
HP 24/24 | AC 19, Touch 14, FF 15 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +2 | Init +4 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, darkvision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night)

A number of emotions passed through Cassandra as she met the group that would be her companions for the foreseeable future. Companions she didn't chose but would nonetheless have to get along with to realize her dream. The first was joy at being chosen. The first hurdle was cleared. But the joy was tempered by anxiety. There was a lot she didn't know and the unknown was always scary. She didn't know the land they were headed or the people she was headed their with. She knew Gronzi Forest like the back of her hand. But there would be no familiar trails or landmarks in this new area. She felt hope, for the future of her people and herself. But also doubt that she could accomplish such an enormous task. She needed to get a message to others and see if they made it. She felt relaxed when she found the entire group was female. None of them had her warrior build and height but all seemed formidable in their own right. But she didn't know what kind of people they were. How accepting they would be of others who were...different. But that would hopefully be a worry for much later.

"Hello," she says as she approaches. "I'm Cassandra. Pleasure to meet you."

Sovereign Court

Female NG human (taldoran) swashbuckler (noble fencer) 3 | HP: 12/28| AC: 20 (15 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 18 | F: +2, R: +7, W: +2* | Init: +6 | Perc: +7, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 2/4| Active conditions: None.

Carinna spent most of the travel time catching up with Korinne and Telmarni, introducing them and hoping that the two would become good friends. Telmarni was like a sister to her and she knew how the rostlanders felt about different species.

Since Korinne initiated her arcane study, the former best friends had little time to chat. They were not travelling alone: a common girl, probably issian, with a crow and a big girl from the wilds. She looked at her muscles and felt a bit o envy.

I wish I could be strong as her… it would help with my skill, I think. But I doubt she is faster than me.

"Hi, I an Carinna Del'annerie, nice to meet you too! These are Korrine and Telmarni."


Female Half-Elf Witch 2 - HP: 16/16 - Init: +1 - Fort/Ref/Will: +2/+1/+4 - Perception: +7 - AC: 11, T: 11, FF: 10 - CMD: 12

The common girl looked wide-eyed at the group before her. To be honest, she didn't look like much. Although she had a crossbow across her back and a dagger at her waist, she showed up in some odd hodgepodge outfit that was part Issian, part Varisian. Indeed, if the small bangles, pouches, and large iron pot dangling from her backpack were any indication, she was better suited as the party's cook than team member.

However, it was the raven perched on her shoulder that hinted there was more to the slight half-elf than met the eye. When meeting up with the rest of the group, the raven had started staring at Telmarni.

"Um, hello!" the girl started, timidly. "I'm Valeska, and I'll be joining the expedition." Petting the bird's chest, she added, "This is Tzerny. Say hello, Tzerny."

Tzerny the raven kept staring at Telmarni and cawed. "Caw... Ca--Can those actually be feathers? Wings? Are you a bird? You look like you've had a human grafted to the front of you."

Valeska rolled her eyes and groaned, cringing and turning around. "Ugh, sorry. No, Tzerny, that's rude. Say something nice."

Tzerny looks at his partner, back to Telmarni, and finishes, "No, you're just... You're the best looking human I've ever seen. All these others are so... hairy. Mammalian. Can you fly?"


Ranger 2/Stalker 1 | HP 24/24 | AC 17, Touch 13, FF 14 | CMB +4 | CMD 17 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2 | Init +3 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night) | Ki Pool 2/2
Beast Form:
HP 24/24 | AC 19, Touch 14, FF 15 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +2 | Init +4 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, darkvision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night)

Cassandra hadn't noticed at first until the...bird, pointed it out. Talking bird. Okay. She was too nervous with first impressions and making a good one. But it was also right. Did she have wings.

Oh my gods could she fly?

Telmarni now had her full attention. And most felt, on instinctual level at least, having a skinwalker's full attention. It was usually a bad thing.

Imagine anime style, hair waving, backlit, can't see the face but eyes glowing bright. Maybe some grabing hands.


Telmarni, CN Female Strix Black Blade Magus Lvl 3 | HP: 18/18 (NL 0) | AC: 16 (+4 with spells 20 AC)(13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM: 0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 4/4 | Spells 1st 4/4 Cantrips N/A | Active conditions: NA

Telmarni doesn't speak much on the way to the outpost. She is a bit preoccupied for this trip. I hope I do well for Dar-Father.

She startles when attention is on her instead of someone else. "Um? Me?" She flutters her wings slightly and wraps them around, under her arms. "Er... Yes, they are my wings. Though I haven't flown much lately." She looks around a bit before bowing her head slightly. Could... Could you not stare? It is unsettling." Telmarni shuffles behind Carinna.


HP: 30/30 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 14 l F +5, R +3, W +3; +6 vs. charm/compulsion, +4 vs. emotion l Arcane Reservoir (10/10), Consume Spells (2/2), L1: 4/5, L2: 3/3 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +0
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Handle Animal +3, Heal +2, Kn. Arcana +10, Kn. Geography +9, Kn. Local +11, Kn. Planes +7, Linguistics +8, Profession: Baker +6, Ride +4, Spellcraft +10, Stealth +3, Swim +1, UMD +8
Female Human Arcanist (White Mage) 4 l Active Conditions: Mage Armor

I'm assuming that at least part of this conversation is happening when the group first musters and as we get started, hehe.

Korinne had risen early that morning, the excitement of being chosen to be part of one of the groups venturing into the Stolen Lands having meant that she'd had a difficult time falling asleep the previous evening and was quite anxious to get started once morning came. When she arrived at the designated place to meet the rest of her group, she was delighted to see her old friend Carinna had also been chosen and assigned to the same group! Her, a rather tall and athletic woman, a plainly dressed half-elf, and a...

Kn. Local (What is She?): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

"A strix!?" she gasps with surprise. "I've never seen one of your kind before! Where did you come from? Are there more living nearby? What brings you here to Restov?" Though seemingly unaware that she might be making the strix, who she does catch as being named Telmarni uncomfortable, she doesn't seem afraid of her, only excited and curious. Particulars such as strix supposedly being unrepentant slaughterers of humankind do flit through Korinne's mind, but she pushes them aside as unimportant, minor details. "Like Carinna said, I'm Korinne, Korinne Bryden," she continues, offering her hand first to Telmarni and then to anyone else in the group that seems interested in taking it. "I'm looking forward to working with you all!"


Ranger 2/Stalker 1 | HP 24/24 | AC 17, Touch 13, FF 14 | CMB +4 | CMD 17 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2 | Init +3 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night) | Ki Pool 2/2
Beast Form:
HP 24/24 | AC 19, Touch 14, FF 15 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +2 | Init +4 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, darkvision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night)

Warded against nature affects familiars too, unless they are mine. Your crow won't come within 30ft of me.

"Right, sorry," Cassandra looks away but her eyes keep darting back. Wings. Flight. That must be amazing. But her curiosity was quickly tempered. She didn't want to come off weird. But more than that, there was now a job to do. They may be on a road but they had left civilization behind. Which meant they were in her home territory. She shifts remarkably from fan girl to seasoned hunter quickly. She moves to the front of the group, watching for dangers and cataloging all the flora and fauna she was familiar with. She was completely focused on the task at hand.


Telmarni, CN Female Strix Black Blade Magus Lvl 3 | HP: 18/18 (NL 0) | AC: 16 (+4 with spells 20 AC)(13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM: 0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 4/4 | Spells 1st 4/4 Cantrips N/A | Active conditions: NA

... I came from Cheliax. It is not a nice place." Telmarni replies to Korinne, while she tries to hide somewhat behind Carinna before continuing. "I have not seen any other strix." She states.

Telmarni mumbles slightly. "...From books I have read, strix are really only found around the cliffs on the western edge of that devil country."

Sovereign Court

Female NG human (taldoran) swashbuckler (noble fencer) 3 | HP: 12/28| AC: 20 (15 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 18 | F: +2, R: +7, W: +2* | Init: +6 | Perc: +7, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 2/4| Active conditions: None.

Carinna sees Telmarni's discomfort and decides to intervene.

"Alright girls, Telmarni is not a regular strix, she is a Del’annerie and is family!"

She turns her attention to Tzerny.

"Hairy? Who are you calling hairy, you little bird?

Carinna looks at Valeska.

"Nice to meet you Valeska, but I am not sure if I like your bird yet, he is rude… for a bird… I think."


Female Half-Elf Witch 2 - HP: 16/16 - Init: +1 - Fort/Ref/Will: +2/+1/+4 - Perception: +7 - AC: 11, T: 11, FF: 10 - CMD: 12

Tzerny narrows his eyes at Carinna. "You've still got more hair than I do. --Caw!"

Valeska grabs her bird and tuck him under her arm. "That's quite enough out of you! We've got to get along, so no more taunting!"

Looking back up plaintively to Carinna, she adds, "I'm sorry. He can be a handful at times. Really, he's not a bad bird once you get to know him. He's just... not so good with introductions."


Telmarni, CN Female Strix Black Blade Magus Lvl 3 | HP: 18/18 (NL 0) | AC: 16 (+4 with spells 20 AC)(13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM: 0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 4/4 | Spells 1st 4/4 Cantrips N/A | Active conditions: NA

Odd. This pbp is showing up as inactive. Just thought I'd let you know.

Telmarni walks away from Carinna a couple steps. "I don't mean to be impatient, but how much longer till we get to... Oleg's?" As she wonders how much farther they all have to go.


Odd. I checked the campaign page and it says active. If it becomes a problem I'll ping Paizo support. Anyway, just got home after six hour drive. Will update tomorrow after I've had morning coffee.


The journey to the trading post is obviously a bit curious, as there's a lot of banter among the members of this unusual charter group, but fortunately the troubles plaguing the Greenbelt haven't migrated further north... yet.

When you arrive at the ramshackle trading post, you're struck with the thought that it seems very unusual to place a trading post in a location that has so little traffic that there's nobody with whom to trade.

Atop a low-slung building with a few shuttered windows, there's a middle-aged man grunting and replacing roof shingles. He spares a momentary backward glance in your direction as your group arrives at the gate, but doesn't stop working on patching the roof.

About thirty seconds later, a woman who looks like a farmwife -- middle-aged, with her hair bound up in a kerchief and wearing an apron over her skirts -- comes out of one of the back buildings and hustles in your direction. She stops a short distance from your group at the front gate and says, "Hello! We've been expecting you! Please, come in, sit down, put down your bags and make yourselves comfortable." With all the bustle of a concerned mother hen she gestures for you to come inside and sit at the outdoor tables by the fire pit.

If you let me know your username on Roll20, I'll give you control over your character token, so you will be able to move your character around the map.

Sovereign Court

Female NG human (taldoran) swashbuckler (noble fencer) 3 | HP: 12/28| AC: 20 (15 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 18 | F: +2, R: +7, W: +2* | Init: +6 | Perc: +7, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 2/4| Active conditions: None.

"Oh... we are final here!"

Carinna knew that her adventures were just starting and that she would spend most of her future days on the wilds but, for the moment, a little of comfort would not be bad.

"Thank you milady, you are very kind. My name is Carinna Del'annerie and these are my companions Kerinne, Talmarni, Cassandra and Valeska."

Carinna knows that an all-female group was not what was expected. She tries to see if the woman is somehow disappointed.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

I am 'Caio C.'!


Female Half-Elf Witch 2 - HP: 16/16 - Init: +1 - Fort/Ref/Will: +2/+1/+4 - Perception: +7 - AC: 11, T: 11, FF: 10 - CMD: 12

I am John B.

Valeska meekly holds back and curtsies demurely, letting Carinna do the talking.


Carinna's attempt to get a hunch about the woman only sees that she seems excited to have visitors.

The farmwife curtseys and says, "My name is Svetlana Leveton, and up there on the roof of the boarding rooms is my husband Oleg."

The man on the roof turns briefly to give a noncommittal grunt. He waves a tarring brush and goes back to tarring the roof shingles.

"Don't mind him, he's just being grumpy," says Svetlana. "We received word from a courier that there was going to be a group of chartered explorers coming this way, followed by a contingent of guards a few days later. We've very glad to have you here," she says and curtseys.

"M'lady, we are gratified by your presence and very happy that the authorities in Brevoy have answered our call for help with the bandits in the area."

You're pretty sure that nobody mentioned bandits attacking the trading post. You also notice that there doesn't seem to be anyone else here besides these two.

"I've prepared some stew and warmed up some bread, and I have a bottle of wine that I've opened for the occasion as well!" Svetlana says eagerly. She turns and looks back at her husband nervously, and after a few moments he obviously can no longer maintain the charade that he's working on the roof -- the shingle he was patching is now patched -- so he clambers down the ladder and joins his wife. He looks the group up and down, a sour look crossing his sweaty face as he wipes his tar-stained hands on a dirty rag.

Svetlana waits expectantly for your reply.


HP: 30/30 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 14 l F +5, R +3, W +3; +6 vs. charm/compulsion, +4 vs. emotion l Arcane Reservoir (10/10), Consume Spells (2/2), L1: 4/5, L2: 3/3 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +0
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Handle Animal +3, Heal +2, Kn. Arcana +10, Kn. Geography +9, Kn. Local +11, Kn. Planes +7, Linguistics +8, Profession: Baker +6, Ride +4, Spellcraft +10, Stealth +3, Swim +1, UMD +8
Female Human Arcanist (White Mage) 4 l Active Conditions: Mage Armor

ON THE ROAD

"Oh, right, right...I'm sorry," Korinne apologizes as Carinna comes to Telmarni's defense. "I meant nothing by it and if Carinna and her family vouches for you then that's good enough for me!" she continues, cheerfully. "You just reminded me that there's so much out there that I've yet to see!" However, her smile does drop for a moment. "I've heard a lot of things about Cheliax and none of them were good. I'm glad you were able to leave."

As the group continues on, they find that Korinne is a chatty sort, alternating between catching up with Carinna and learning more about the rest of her companions, even Tzerny.

ARRIVAL

"I'm Korinne Bryden, it's good to meet you both," Korinne smiles, offering her hand first to Svetlana and then Oleg for a shake. "And some stew sounds wonderful, if it's not too much trouble. We got an early start here and so there wasn't much time for things like breakfast!" Suddenly, a thought occurs to her. "Did you say bandits? You've had bandit trouble this far north?"

On Roll20, I'm Kristin W.


Ranger 2/Stalker 1 | HP 24/24 | AC 17, Touch 13, FF 14 | CMB +4 | CMD 17 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2 | Init +3 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night) | Ki Pool 2/2
Beast Form:
HP 24/24 | AC 19, Touch 14, FF 15 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +2 | Init +4 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, darkvision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night)

On the road.

Though she is in hunter mode, Cassandra keeps an ear out for the conversation behind her. She smiles as hears that things are going well for the winged woman. That bod well for her own eventual reveal. Best let them get accustomed to one demi-human first before springing another.

At Oleg's

Cassandra nods and waves when introduced but remains quiet. Carinna seemed a lot more comfortable talking with people than she was. She decided to let the Taldoran handle it while she looked around.

Sturdy wall. Watchtowers could use some work. Outer area's clear though. Good view. Not very many people here though.

She stops wandering when she hears of bandit trouble and guards on the way. No one mentioned that. Then again, the charter specifically mentioned "striving against banditry" though. This was the perfect opportunity to make a good first impression then. She hopes Carinna has the same thought because she wasn't likely to say it out loud.


Telmarni, CN Female Strix Black Blade Magus Lvl 3 | HP: 18/18 (NL 0) | AC: 16 (+4 with spells 20 AC)(13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM: 0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 4/4 | Spells 1st 4/4 Cantrips N/A | Active conditions: NA

Telmarni is glad that they finally made it to the trading post. When they got to the gate, she tucks her wings under her arms trying to make it look like she is wearing a interesting piece of clothing made of feathers. She stands behind Carinna when a woman hustles out to greet them.

Telmarni is quiet until she hears her name called. She speaks in a quiet, calm tone. "Hello." She looks around the entry to get a sense of it.
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

When she hears what happened about Bandits, Telmarni looks a bit nervous and leans close to Carinna and whispers to her. "I didn't know we are to take care of bandits. Were we only suppose to map out the.... Greenbelt? Right? Um, but what ever you choose, I will help you."

Spencer R. or Telmarni for Rolld20


Svetlana gratefully shakes Korinne's hand when offered. As soon as Korinne asks the question about bandits, Oleg throws his hands up in the air and rolls his eyes dramatically. "By the pustulent arse of Urgathoa!" he says in a near-roar. "That's just wonderful! We sent a letter to Brevoy telling them that we need soldiers because of the bandits here and instead we get random strangers who don't even know!" He swings his beefy arms angrily and fumes, with a scowl scribbling across his already-weathered face.

Svetlana lays a hand gingerly on his arm. "It's not these folks' fault that the Mayor of Brevoy didn't tell them," she says. "You know we need the help before the bandits come back."

She turns back to you and says to Korinne, "Pay him no mind. We'll give you free room and board if you stay and help deal with the bandits." Oleg grunts and stares at the ground, kicking an imaginary stone, but says nothing. Svetlana continues, "Please. We're all alone out here and I don't know when the soldiers from Brevoy are going to arrive."


Female Half-Elf Witch 2 - HP: 16/16 - Init: +1 - Fort/Ref/Will: +2/+1/+4 - Perception: +7 - AC: 11, T: 11, FF: 10 - CMD: 12

"Well..." Valeska offers from the back, "we are the chartered explorers Brevoy said they'd send. We've got the document here, signed and everything. So we aren't really random..." Looking around the assembled group, she sighs, "Yes, okay, we're kind of random."

"Buuut..." she continues, an odd lilt to her voice apparent, "We certainly know that bandits are a common sight in parts such as these. I'm quite sure we can prepare a little something for them."

Tzerny ruffles his feathers and adds, "I like the idea of stew, though."


Telmarni, CN Female Strix Black Blade Magus Lvl 3 | HP: 18/18 (NL 0) | AC: 16 (+4 with spells 20 AC)(13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM: 0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 4/4 | Spells 1st 4/4 Cantrips N/A | Active conditions: NA

Telmarni's feathers become a bit more fluffed due to Oleg's outburst. Looking towards Corinna then to the woman, named Svetlana, she decides if nothing else, they should help. With a place willing to let them stay for free will be a good base of operations.

Telamrni takes a deep breath before stepping forward. "I believe Carinna and I will help anyway. We were sent here for a purpose, and we can't return unless we do it. And I think the others do wish to help as well. So you can count on us." She turns back to the group and lets speaks in a soft, maybe unsure tone. "Right?..."


Oleg gives Tzerny a long, hard stare. Finally the grizzled trader says, "I see you brought the circus sideshow, too."

Svetlana smacks Oleg on the arm and gives him a commanding glare. He looks somewhat sheepish and then says, "Do what you need to do." He turns and stalks off to the tables by the firepit to fetch some of the bread and stew that Svetlana advertised.

"I'm very sorry about that," Svetlana says sweetly. "Please, come have a bite to eat. If there's anything I can do to make you more comfortable, or to answer any questions you have, please, just let me know." She wrings her hands a bit, appearing concerned, and gives a nervous smile, as if worried that her husband's bad attitude may ruin everything.

"Oh, um, we only have four rooms in the bunkhouse, so I'm afraid two of you will need to share a room. I'm very sorry about that," she adds as she turns to join her husband by the fire pit.


Male Raven Familiar - HP 5/5 - Init: +4 - Fort/Ref/Will: +1/+4/+4 - Perception: +3 - AC: 14, T: 14, FF: 12 - CMD: 6

Indignantly, Tzerny replies, "I've plucked plenty a coin from a circusgoer, thank you very much."


HP: 30/30 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 14 l F +5, R +3, W +3; +6 vs. charm/compulsion, +4 vs. emotion l Arcane Reservoir (10/10), Consume Spells (2/2), L1: 4/5, L2: 3/3 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +0
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Handle Animal +3, Heal +2, Kn. Arcana +10, Kn. Geography +9, Kn. Local +11, Kn. Planes +7, Linguistics +8, Profession: Baker +6, Ride +4, Spellcraft +10, Stealth +3, Swim +1, UMD +8
Female Human Arcanist (White Mage) 4 l Active Conditions: Mage Armor

"It's no trouble and of course we're all interested in helping!" Korinne says, giving a reassuring look to both Telmarni and Svetlana. "I was just a little confused because even though the charter mentioned mapping the area and dealing with banditry if we encountered it, we didn't know that banditry was already happening. We'll do what we can, though you should probably tell us more about what's been happening while we enjoy that stew," she adds as she moves to join the others around the fire pit.

Diplomacy (Keep Calm): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

"Oh, I'd guess that Telmarni and Carinna would probably want to share a room since I think Tel is probably more comfortable with her." She then gives Tzerny a curious look as he responds to Oleg's verbal jab. "Really? I'd think there would be more of interest at a circus than gold..."


Male Raven Familiar - HP 5/5 - Init: +4 - Fort/Ref/Will: +1/+4/+4 - Perception: +3 - AC: 14, T: 14, FF: 12 - CMD: 6

"Of course!" Tzerny replies. "There's the food, too. Sweetrolls, meatballs, bonbons, the occasional rat sick on a sweetroll... I've spent many years at the circus. There is much to learn from watching people when they have fun. And many ways to keep that fun going."

He hops off Valeska's shoulder to walk over to Korinne. "But you can't stay at the circus forever. Lives, they have a way of changing. Completely."

Sovereign Court

Female NG human (taldoran) swashbuckler (noble fencer) 3 | HP: 12/28| AC: 20 (15 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 18 | F: +2, R: +7, W: +2* | Init: +6 | Perc: +7, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 2/4| Active conditions: None.

This couple is desperate! They were hoping to get the help of a full regiment of soldiers and is stuck with five young girls...

Carinna remains calm, even if her pride is a bit hurt by Oleg's reaction.

"They mayor told us nothing about helping you, but rest assured that we will help you even so. Our age is misleading: Korinne was the best apprentice of Miss Adula, Cassandra is a great Hunter that worked for the Medvyeds, Valeska knows a lot about the arcane and the mystic and Telmarni and I both trained extensively with our swords."

Aid Another (Diplomacy): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Carinna discretely shows her Aldori sword, hoping to impart the general respect that an Aldori Swordlord would get, even if she was not one of them.

"Trust us, it is all I ask. We are eager to help."


I'm going to move the group tokens on the Roll20 map over to the outdoor tables by Svetlana and Oleg.

Svetlana seems visibly relieved as the group reassures her that they are there to help. She hurries to deliver bowls of warm soup and warm bread, and true to her word she opens a bottle of wine and pours out cups for everyone.

Oleg seems a bit surly still, but he doesn't say anything hostile nor does he move to cause any trouble.

"Is there anything else I can tell you or help with today?" asks Svetlana eagerly.

Sovereign Court

Female NG human (taldoran) swashbuckler (noble fencer) 3 | HP: 12/28| AC: 20 (15 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 18 | F: +2, R: +7, W: +2* | Init: +6 | Perc: +7, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 2/4| Active conditions: None.

Carinna thanks Svetlana for the food and wine.

"Thank you Mrs. Leveton, the food is delicious." It wasn't really that good, but Carinna was starving. "I know this is not the talk to have while we dinner, but could you tell us everything you two know about these bandits? Where they hide, or from which direction they come, how many are they and what are their practices?"


Telmarni, CN Female Strix Black Blade Magus Lvl 3 | HP: 18/18 (NL 0) | AC: 16 (+4 with spells 20 AC)(13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM: 0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 4/4 | Spells 1st 4/4 Cantrips N/A | Active conditions: NA

Telmarni accepts the bowl of soup with a smile. "Thank you." As she takes some spoonfuls of the stew, she looks towards Carinna. "We should also examine the fort itself. See if there are improvements to be made. And if possible, make areas that help with hiding. Just in case if they come here unexpected."


HP: 30/30 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 14 l F +5, R +3, W +3; +6 vs. charm/compulsion, +4 vs. emotion l Arcane Reservoir (10/10), Consume Spells (2/2), L1: 4/5, L2: 3/3 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +0
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Handle Animal +3, Heal +2, Kn. Arcana +10, Kn. Geography +9, Kn. Local +11, Kn. Planes +7, Linguistics +8, Profession: Baker +6, Ride +4, Spellcraft +10, Stealth +3, Swim +1, UMD +8
Female Human Arcanist (White Mage) 4 l Active Conditions: Mage Armor

"No, I guess no one can stay in the same place forever," Korinne nods in reply to the raven as she takes a sip of the wine. "Thank you Svetlana, this is delicious! What was I saying? Oh right! Yes, circumstances eventually change and a person may have to find something new to do."

Kinda like you, right Korinne?

As she munches away on her meal, she nods as Carinna asks her questions about the bandits and Telmarni offers suggestions on the defense of the fort. "Thafhs wight, ee neef tanow numbrfs, fings wike dat," she agrees, spraying crumbs everywhere in the process.


"From what I can recall," says Svetlana, "they first showed up about three months ago. They demanded that we give them all of the furs and trade goods that we'd gotten from hunters and trappers, or they'd burn the place down and..."

"And take her away," rumbles Oleg. "They always show up at sunrise on the first day of the month, so far. Originally they were a dozen strong, the leader was a woman with a pair of hatchets, and she had a hooded man with a bow and a bunch of assorted rabble. Threatened to cut my hand off and take my wife away with them."

Svetlana chokes back a brief sob, and Oleg takes her hand in a display of compassion unexpected from the big man. "Took my wife's wedding ring right off her hand. Said it was a fair trade for not lopping off my own hand."

Svetlana composes herself and adds, "They always seem to be in a hurry. They can't be camped very far from here."

Oleg continues, "Last visit was just the hooded man and a few of his bandit companions." He pauses for a moment as if chewing on a thought, then says, "Next visit should be tomorrow morning. I'm no military man, but I'm of a mind just t' have you wait in the bunkhouse until the bandits are busy loading all the furs and loot on their horses, then charge out and take 'em by surprise. 'course, you can do whatever you think best." Svetlana nods in agreement.


Telmarni, CN Female Strix Black Blade Magus Lvl 3 | HP: 18/18 (NL 0) | AC: 16 (+4 with spells 20 AC)(13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM: 0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 4/4 | Spells 1st 4/4 Cantrips N/A | Active conditions: NA

Telmarni finishes her meal and returns the bowl to Svetlana. "Thank you. Do you happen to have a large piece of paper and some ink? Or maybe charcoal to draw with?" As she asks calmly.


Ranger 2/Stalker 1 | HP 24/24 | AC 17, Touch 13, FF 14 | CMB +4 | CMD 17 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2 | Init +3 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night) | Ki Pool 2/2
Beast Form:
HP 24/24 | AC 19, Touch 14, FF 15 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +2 | Init +4 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, darkvision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night)

Cassandra does what she always has, stay silent and listen first. It helped in the wild so she figured it would help here. She listened impassively about the bandits. Sure they sounded bad, but from personal experience you couldn't always trust the impressions of others. "Walk in their shoes before you judge their path" her granddad always said. "Did they leave anything of theirs behind?" she asks. As her first words this entire conversation, they were quite odd. "The soup is good," she says a little later and looking away.


Female Half-Elf Witch 2 - HP: 16/16 - Init: +1 - Fort/Ref/Will: +2/+1/+4 - Perception: +7 - AC: 11, T: 11, FF: 10 - CMD: 12

Having finished a small meal, Valeska narrows her eyes, and pulls out her pot. "Would you mind if I do a little brewing by the fire? I want to have something for them for tomorrow."

She looks her raven over. "Tzerny, we should regularly have the herbs for curatives, but maybe... an enlargement potion would be in order?"

Sovereign Court

Female NG human (taldoran) swashbuckler (noble fencer) 3 | HP: 12/28| AC: 20 (15 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 18 | F: +2, R: +7, W: +2* | Init: +6 | Perc: +7, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 2/4| Active conditions: None.
Svetlana wrote:
"From what I can recall," says Svetlana, "they first showed up about three months ago. They demanded that we give them all of the furs and trade goods that we'd gotten from hunters and trappers, or they'd burn the place down and..."

"Furs and trade goods? No coins? Humm... looks like our guys are planning to survive the winter. You can't eat or wear gold right?"

Svetlana wrote:
Svetlana composes herself and adds, "They always seem to be in a hurry. They can't be camped very far from here."

"Their hurry could mean that they are not indeed far from here. They want to come back to their camp before the night falls."

Carinna thinks for a while.

"I see no reason not to expect that their numbers will be reduced again, since they see no resistance here."

Valeska wrote:
"Tzerny, we should regularly have the herbs for curatives, but maybe... an enlargement potion would be in order?"

"Hum, not for me, thanks... see I am pretty quick and my training is based on my speed and small size. Being big would just hold me back. Perhaps Tel or Cassandra would like them..."

It would be better just to follow them to their camp, but we would run the risk of finding all of them... obviously to much for us...

"I agree with you Mr. Leveton. An ambush it is! But we must make it right... none of them can escape and we need one alive so we can discover their camp. They are bandits and our orders is to punish them with the 'law of Brevoy', by hanging or sword."

Carinna looks for Telmarni, helping her with the planning of the ambush.

"Cassandra, Tel and Valeska could hide in the roofs and as soon as they start to load the supplies, you send some arrows and bolts at their leader, no talking before, they had their chance to make things right." She looks at them. "With the leader down, you focus on the other ones nearest to the entrance of the fort. Me and Korrine will stay hidden inside the barn and attack them when you start. I think I can take care of one or two, but if things get ugly, Tel can Always fly to our help. And remember, we need just one alive. What you think?"


Ranger 2/Stalker 1 | HP 24/24 | AC 17, Touch 13, FF 14 | CMB +4 | CMD 17 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2 | Init +3 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night) | Ki Pool 2/2
Beast Form:
HP 24/24 | AC 19, Touch 14, FF 15 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +2 | Init +4 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, darkvision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night)

Cassandra nods along at breakfast but says nothing more. An ambush was a sound strategy but she didn't feel comfortable attacking someone she hadn't gauged personally yet. Trade goods were as good as gold but who could they possibly be selling to out here? Likely they were using them to survive. Or at least she hoped.

After breakfast she pulls Carinna aside to talk. "I am going to go find them tonight." Great start. "I feel if I talk about this in front of Oleg he'd get mad because of the treatment he's gotten but I don't feel comfortable attacking them without actually meeting with them. I want to know why. I want to see if they can be dissuaded. Avoid bloodshed. Sometimes people do things they don't want to in order to survive. They follow the wrong person because that person is strong and they are weak. But I am not good at...convincing others so I am not sure how well it will go." She then turns a bit sheepish. "So the ambush probably won't work."


When Telmarni asks for paper, Oleg gives her a slightly quizzical look, then pushes himself up off the bench and goes into one of the buildings. He comes back after a couple of minutes with a piece of paper and an inkwell. "Kept this around in case someone needed it to make a map. Got a whole sheaf back there," he says with a jerk of his thumb back to the storage area.

In reply to Carinna's question about the trade goods he says, "Most of the folk who come to trade here are trappers an' hunters who sell furs they trap in the Greenbelt. I resell those furs to the occasional merchant who comes this way an' trades furs for goods like pots and pans and knives and such." He shrugs and says, "Not a lot of coin changin' hands. Wouldn't matter anyway, these bandits would raid the till if I did come into too much coinage. Could sell furs for coin if the bandits were dealt with, 'course, but who needs coins out here?"

Once the bandit problem is resolved, Oleg can buy and sell goods, and he can place orders from Restov for unusual gear, but until the bandits are dealt with he won't risk holding on to large stashes of coins as they'd just be stolen anyway.

You have much of the day to set up any defenses you want or create blinds for hiding or cover -- remember Oleg said one of the bandits has a bow -- but the old siege weapons are too badly broken to be repaired even with simple mending spells without a couple weeks of work by a skilled carpenter. Anything that anyone wants to do during that time? Looks like Valeska making potions and Cassandra scouting the location for the bandits, anyone else?


Female Half-Elf Witch 2 - HP: 16/16 - Init: +1 - Fort/Ref/Will: +2/+1/+4 - Perception: +7 - AC: 11, T: 11, FF: 10 - CMD: 12

"I'll have time to prepare one potion tonight," Valeska mentions. "I can prepare a healing potion, but we might want more offense instead. In that case, I also know recipes to double a person in size, or a ward that turns away weapons. The ward interferes with armor, so it's probably best for Korinne if she's joining the battle by Carinna's side. Otherwise, enlargement for Cassandra would be the other option. Better for being in melee than an archer, however."

Thinking a moment, she adds, "Oleg and Svetlana, are there archers among the bandits? Do they show more strength in melee or at range?"


"They all have bows. I'd imagine they hunt for food sometimes out in the forest," says Oleg helpfully.


Ranger 2/Stalker 1 | HP 24/24 | AC 17, Touch 13, FF 14 | CMB +4 | CMD 17 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2 | Init +3 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night) | Ki Pool 2/2
Beast Form:
HP 24/24 | AC 19, Touch 14, FF 15 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +2 | Init +4 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, darkvision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night)

I am going to wait until very close to night to head out so I have the rest of the day to help prepare what we decide on. Would like to wait for Carinna though.


Telmarni, CN Female Strix Black Blade Magus Lvl 3 | HP: 18/18 (NL 0) | AC: 16 (+4 with spells 20 AC)(13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM: 0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 4/4 | Spells 1st 4/4 Cantrips N/A | Active conditions: NA

"Thank you. With this, we may be able to plan a bit more better." Telmarni thanks Oleg for the supplies.

She turns to Carinna after putting the paper flat on the table, each corner being held down by either a stone, or something else that is heavy enough. "Carinna, I am going to try to get a idea of the area from above. I wont be far." She walks away from the table, spreads her wings and takes flight, going up at 45 degree angle so she doesn't have to strain herself. Once she feels she is high enough, she will survey the area, including Oleg's for defensible positions.
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Int Check to remember positions correctly: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
I think she did well.
With that in mind, she comes back down to land to scribble on the paper of the layout of the outpost and the general area around the outpost.


HP: 30/30 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 14 l F +5, R +3, W +3; +6 vs. charm/compulsion, +4 vs. emotion l Arcane Reservoir (10/10), Consume Spells (2/2), L1: 4/5, L2: 3/3 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +0
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Handle Animal +3, Heal +2, Kn. Arcana +10, Kn. Geography +9, Kn. Local +11, Kn. Planes +7, Linguistics +8, Profession: Baker +6, Ride +4, Spellcraft +10, Stealth +3, Swim +1, UMD +8
Female Human Arcanist (White Mage) 4 l Active Conditions: Mage Armor

"Interferes with armor...? Oh!" Korinne snaps her fingers. "I know just the spell you mean! I can actually ready that one for tomorrow for myself if need be, so maybe the enlargement potion would work better?" She begins ticking off spells on her fingers. "Let's see, for an ambush...I can make someone stick to the ground, I can make an area really slippery, I can fire off little magical darts, or I can dazzle people with colors. If you want to keep people alive, making them stick to the ground or dazzling them with colors would be the easiest way for me to help with that."

She gasps as Telmarni takes flight to get an idea of the lay of the land in and around the fort, momentarily distracted. "That's amazing...I wish I could fly, but I'm not that adept with magic yet to do it. Maybe one day..."

After watching the strix for a few moments, she suddenly remembers that they were talking about an ambush. "Oh, sorry! Got distracted. I'm happy to move wherever you need me, perhaps in the barn like Carinna said. And if we take people alive, what are we going to do with them once we've spoken to them?"

Korinne has Mage Armor on her list, hehe. She's also talking about the spells Adhesive Spittle, Grease, Magic Missile, and Color Spray, respectively.


Female Half-Elf Witch 2 - HP: 16/16 - Init: +1 - Fort/Ref/Will: +2/+1/+4 - Perception: +7 - AC: 11, T: 11, FF: 10 - CMD: 12

Valeska nods excitedly with Korinne's commentary. "I'll be putting them to sleep! There should be plenty left to choose from. I can also summon clouds for cover from their arrows, but that can interfere with our own arrows. Maybe I should hypnotize them..."

She pours some broth from the stew into her pot and sets it on the fire. "Okay! Svetlana, you make an excellent broth, wonderful for keeping someone big and strong. Tzerny, you know the ingredients to get me. Cassandra, I'll give you the potion when it's done. Just drink it if you want to get big."

As she carefully picks through some gathered dried flowers she carries, she adds, "I'll hold a cure spell tomorrow for emergencies, but I hope to rely more on simple binding wounds and bed rest after the battle. I can stabilize anyone who needs it easily enough if things go wrong. If we can get away without relying on my magic, I can pop the spell in a potion after the battle for when we really need it. Oh! if I do that, I'll be able to prepare some glowing oil tomorrow evening. Either way, I'll have something to cook up."

Sovereign Court

Female NG human (taldoran) swashbuckler (noble fencer) 3 | HP: 12/28| AC: 20 (15 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 18 | F: +2, R: +7, W: +2* | Init: +6 | Perc: +7, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 2/4| Active conditions: None.
Cassandra Lupin wrote:
After breakfast she pulls Carinna aside to talk. "I am going to go find them tonight." Great start. "I feel if I talk about this in front of Oleg he'd get mad because of the treatment he's gotten but I don't feel comfortable attacking them without actually meeting with them. I want to know why. I want to see if they can be dissuaded. Avoid bloodshed. Sometimes people do things they don't want to in order to survive. They follow the wrong person because that person is strong and they are weak. But I am not good at...convincing others so I am not sure how well it will go." She then turns a bit sheepish. "So the ambush probably won't work."

Carinna shakes his head as Cassandra talks to her.

"I am sorry Cassandra, but I do not agree with you. According to Oleg, there are a dozen bandits out there. I cannot imagine a favorable outcome of two girls going to talk to them, in their camp, to convince them to stop robbing people. We will get killed on the spot and this whole mission will end before it even starts."

She makes a pause before continuing.

"If you are convinced that these unknown bandits might be good people, fine, when we make our ambush, we ask them to surrender before we shoot! Besides, I am not trained to walk silently in the woods and we cannot see in the dark like the wolves."


Ranger 2/Stalker 1 | HP 24/24 | AC 17, Touch 13, FF 14 | CMB +4 | CMD 17 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2 | Init +3 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night) | Ki Pool 2/2
Beast Form:
HP 24/24 | AC 19, Touch 14, FF 15 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +2 | Init +4 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, darkvision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night)

Cassandra almost lets something slip that she shouldn't say. But she closes her mouth takes a different route. "I wasn't suggesting you or anyone else go with me. And there shouldn't be too many. Oleg said a hooded man and a few henchmen. If they are going to show up tomorrow morning they will be camped close tonight. I can get close during the night and see what I can do. I can find my way in the dark." She shrugs and takes on a more confident air. "We may not even have to fight if I play my cards right. I can at least hamper them to give us more time. You have to admit at least a little scouting is in order."


Male Raven Familiar - HP 5/5 - Init: +4 - Fort/Ref/Will: +1/+4/+4 - Perception: +3 - AC: 14, T: 14, FF: 12 - CMD: 6

"I'll join you," Tzerny announces. "We can see them at night better this way."


Ranger 2/Stalker 1 | HP 24/24 | AC 17, Touch 13, FF 14 | CMB +4 | CMD 17 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2 | Init +3 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night) | Ki Pool 2/2
Beast Form:
HP 24/24 | AC 19, Touch 14, FF 15 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +2 | Init +4 | Senses: Low-Light Vision, darkvision, Scent | Perception +10 (+11 at night)

Cassandra looks wirily at the talking bird. That was going to be hard to get used to. "Um...thanks but I think I am good. Besides, aren't raven's diurnal. You can't see at night."


Male Raven Familiar - HP 5/5 - Init: +4 - Fort/Ref/Will: +1/+4/+4 - Perception: +3 - AC: 14, T: 14, FF: 12 - CMD: 6

Tzerny lets out a low, guttural caw.

Staring at Cassandra, he replies, "Might I suggest that you have no idea what I'm capable of?"

Valeska looks up from her brew and blanches. A wooden spoon slips from her grasp and lands in the cauldron with a plop.

1 to 50 of 1,903 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Jesse's Kingmaker PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.