Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

DM Jesse's Jade Regent

Game Master Jesse Heinig

Current map: Brinewall Castle

Our caravan

Our caravan travel log

Current Party XP Total: 10,057


1 to 50 of 2,411 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

4711 A.R. (I think. I can't find anything in Jade Regent that states the actual starting year, or online, either.)

Sandpoint is a moderate town, not as sprawling as Magnimar a day and a half of travel to the southwest, but still with over a thousand residents, several bustling industries and its own share of local color.

Some of that local color is the Rusty Dragon, one of two travelers' rest stops in Sandpoint. The Rusty Dragon takes its name from the sizable iron sculpture of a dragon that looms over the roof of the building. Time and weather have taken their toll on the sculpture, thus giving the large wooden building its name.

The owner of the Rusty Dragon is the famous Ameiko Kaijitsu, who is the scion of one of the four aristocratic families of Sandpoint. Though she also owns the Sandpoint Glassworks, she prefers to spend her time in the Rusty Dragon, chatting with patrons, swapping adventuresome tales, and occasionally regaling visitors with her musical skills.

The Rusty Dragon is the preferred stop for adventurers and mercenaries, partly due to the "Help Wanted" board where people can pick up odd jobs, partly because of the spicy food and Tian Min flair that Ameiko brings to the place, and partly due to the fact that the only other lodging house is a sleepy little place preferred by quiet merchants and tradesmen.

Today, as the sun nears noon, the Rusty Dragon has its share of trade, though it's a bit underwhelming -- a pair of travelers en route to Magnimar and a handful of locals looking for a spicy lunch; plus, of course, Ameiko's younger brother Kenji, her dwarven friend Jinda, her family's retainer Hiro, and the strangely distant and nigh-feral half-elf woman who has sometimes lurked about the establishment.

Sheriff Belor Hemlock arrives just before noon, accompanied by a heavily scarred half-orc man. The sheriff goes to the "Help Wanted" board and places a scrap of parchment up against the board, then hammers it home with a small stubby peg, using the butt of his dagger as a mallet.

The sheriff says to his half-orc associate, "I appreciate your enthusiasm for protecting the community, but it's not going to help us at all if you disappear into the swamp like those other folks. People have a tendency to underestimate goblins. This may not be a dragon or a giant or anything like that, but I certainly wouldn't recommend this task without a full complement of trained soldiers, or at least some irregulars."

Ameiko, catching the tail end of whatever this discussion is, pours a pair of mugs of local ale and comes around to hand one to the sheriff and the other to the half-orc. She glances at the poster and says, "Goblin bounty again? I thought that was all taken care of after the unpleasantness."

Sheriff Hemlock shakes his head ruefully as he accepts the mug of ale from Ameiko. He speaks in heavily accented Taldane, influenced by his Shoanti origins, and says, "Apparently the goblins in the Brinestump Marsh got their hands on a shipment of fireworks. They've become emboldened by their success and they're preying on travelers along the road there -- hells, even one of the caravan masters reported a run-in. A group went in the Brinestump to look for the goblins three days ago, and we've heard nothing. Looks like we have no other choice -- ten gold pieces per goblin ear, three hundred more for bringing in the head of the chief."

Ameiko sidles around behind the bar and leans on it. She chuckles and replies, "That explains the sparks and explosions in the sky last night. Looks like the goblins were having a party."

Sheriff Hemlock grunts and takes a gulp of the ale. He wipes his mouth and says, "Well they're sure pulling one over on us. Nobody even has a map of the Brinestump anyway. They could be anywhere. I don't suppose you want another adventure?"

Ameiko seems to think about it for a second, but then she stands and holds up her hands defensively. "Oh, no! I'm a respectable businesswoman. I have responsibilities here." She waves to indicate the Rusty Dragon. "Why, if I were going to take up a life of adventure, I'd have to sell this place! And then where would you get free ale?" Her eyes twinkle with the teasing.

The sheriff finishes the mug of ale and puts it on the bar. "Well," he says, "If any swords-for-hire come through here, now's the time. I can't have Sandpoint under siege again as happened to my predecessor." He points with his thumb at the half-orc and says, "Already have one volunteer, but I'm not one to recommend that a good man head out alone to his death."


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

Kenji looks up from the plate of picked over food and half listens to the conversation. The sheriff coming to tack a page on the board is not uncommon, nor is it when he tries to keep people from losing their fool heads. But the mention of going on a local goblin bounty hunt, Kenji looks up from his plate and watches intently.

When Ameiko comes back behind the bar and gestures at it in her last statement, she can see Kenji giving her a smile that all to easily is read as a pleeeeeeeaaaaase?.


Male Dwarf Arcanist 1| HP 10/10 | AC10(14) T10 FF10(14) | F2 R1 W3 +2 vs poison and spells | Init +0 | Per +0 | Darkvision 60ft
Remaining:
Arcane Reservoir 4/4 Spells per day 2/3

Noticing Kenji's pleading look, Jinda decides to speak up.
"While the ambiance here in the dragon is excellent, I think I could use a bit of adventure. Stretch my legs, bash in a few goblin skulls. Hmm... pauses the dwarf, scratching at his beard, " now that I think on it, if Hiro came along this would be a perfect opportunity to get Kenji some experience in combating local threats. What say you Kenji?" Jinda gives Kenji a big theatrical wink.

Besides the coin is getting low, and while Ameiko's establishment is worth it, I'll have to get moving along quite soon if I don't acquire more soon.


Male Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (Sword Saint) 1 / Brawler 1 | HP 19/19 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | F+5 R+4 W+1 | Init +2 | Per +5 | Challenge used 0/1 | Resolve used 0/1 | Martial Flexibility used 0/4

Hiro's ears perk up as he overhears the conversation between Ameiko and Sheriff Hemlock from his customary seat by the door. The perceptive bouncer also observes the pleading expression on Kenji's face at Ameiko's mention of adventure.

Jinda Copperflask wrote:
" now that I think on it, if Hiro came along this would be a perfect opportunity to get Kenji some experience in combating local threats. What say you Kenji?"

At the dwarf's words Hiro catches Ameiko's eye, arching one eyebrow questioningly as he struggles to keep a knowing smile from his face.


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

Kenji sees the opportunity seem more likely. Endorsement from friends! His pleading smile gets a little more hopeful. Yes! He looks to Ameiko and mentally prepares to use his trump card... doing the dishes every day for a month AND sweeping the floors too.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Ameiko tenses up for a moment as Jinda makes the suggestion to send Kenji off on a dangerous trip. Her ever-present smile wavers for a moment as she glances over at Hiro, the family's bodyguard. Then she forces her smile back up and says, "If it were up to me, I would never have let myself go traipsing around the countryside for a year! Besides, if Kenji's off adventuring, how will all the dishes get done?" She chuckles for a moment, as if trying to steel herself, then sighs and says, "But, you know, I suppose I wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't have those experiences -- good and bad alike." She comes back out from around the bar and grips Kenji by the shoulders. "All right, little brother, this is your big chance. It's a big responsibility and it's not going to be nearly as fun as you think it is. There's going to be times when you just want to come home -- and my door will always be open for you when you do." She suddenly grabs him fiercely in a protective hug, and murmurs under her breath, "Because I don't know what I would do if I lost the only family left to me."

After she releases Kenji from the embarrassing show of sibling affection, she turns to Hiro and, one hand on her hip, half-jokingly points a finger at him, saying, "Now you'd better bring him back home alive! Why, you haven't had to bodyguard anyone in this town in the better part of five years! So I expect you to sharpen up that sword." She nods her head firmly for emphasis.

Sidling back by the bar, she pauses next to Jinda and leans down, places one hand aside her mouth and says sotto voce, "These two have loaves of bread for brains. You better make sure they don't get into any serious trouble."


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

Kenji's eyes go wide as he is hugged, and he seems to be actually shocked he was allowed to go. He shakes his head and can't get the grin off his face. He runs over to Hiro and shakes his fists in excitement. He is too excited to hear his sister's appeal for... intelligent supervision, and instead whispers excitedly (and therefore not really whispering) to Hiro.

"Can you believe it!" He exclaims, his voice cracking. "I finally get to go! I can do it!" he seems all the gladder for having Hiro and Jinda going with. "Ah this is going to be so good. We're going to kick some goblin butt! You won't be sorry, sis!"

He whirls away from Hiro before he can actually give a response, his excitement running his brain at a million miles a second. However it loses traction as he realizes Lyraesel was still in the tavern. He stares at her for a few seconds, a thought rattling around in his brain for several moments before it finally falls into the right place. Then he glances over to the Sheriff.

He mutters something as he walks over to the sheriff and the half-orc. "Rule 6... get help when you need it." could be heard if someone was listening in.

"Sheriff Hemlock?" he asks. "You said the goblins were in the Brinestump Marsh right?"

He tips his chin towards Lyraesel. "If she's willing to guide us, I think we'd stand a better chance of getting back to town when we're done."

He's not being misogynistic or anything; he doesn't know if she can fight, but he does know she's survived for two years in the woods around Sandpoint and should be able to help them navigate the marsh safely. If anything, he's trying to get her involved. He doesn't know how she felt about the goblins anymore, but in his mind a chance to stick it to the things that killed her mom would be great... He certainly wasn't going to get the chance to do the same. He also has heard Ameiko's stories forwards and backwards and can tell them almost as well as she can, so he's made his own little set of 'rules' to help him out.


Female Half-Elf Druid 4 (Wolf shaman)

Sitting quietly in corner enjoying her meal in silence,Lyraesel freezes when she hears mention of goblins. In a single moment her mind rushes back to the moment she returned to town years ago to the smell of fire and a sense of fear and panic, to looks of sympathy and pity, only to find her mother lost to her at the hands of the vile little monsters.

They were dealt with, and a large number goblin tribes were wiped out for a bit, none of which had mattered to her at the time. She'd almost lost her mind then.

But now...if goblins were starting to attack people again.....they to be stopped.

"I will hunt them with you." the half elf says quietly, her voice that of someone accustomed to going days or even weeks without speaking aloud.


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3
Lyraesel wrote:

Sitting quietly in corner enjoying her meal in silence,Lyraesel freezes when she hears mention of goblins. In a single moment her mind rushes back to the moment she returned to town years ago to the smell of fire and a sense of fear and panic, to looks of sympathy and pity, only to find her mother lost to her at the hands of the vile little monsters.

They were dealt with, and a large number goblin tribes were wiped out for a bit, none of which had mattered to her at the time. She'd almost lost her mind then.

But now...if goblins were starting to attack people again.....they to be stopped.

"I will hunt them with you." the half elf says quietly, her voice that of someone accustomed to going days or even weeks without speaking aloud.

Kenji blinks as Lyraesel responds far sooner than he had expected. His eyes shift from her to the sheriff, and he shrugs. "That wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be." he admits, scratching his head.

He snaps his fingers. "Ah, right! Rule 1." he, beaming, runs off to get his pack.

Rule Number 1: "If you're going to adventure, be prepared." Rule Number 6, from the post before, is "If you need help, go get it."


AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 hp 23/24 Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +6 Defensive Abilities orc ferocity

Magnauk looks over the quick responding individuals willing to fight to protect the town. His heart beams slightly at the bravery. Smiling he claps his hands,

Great. It is great to see you all ready and willing to protect Sandpoint. I am Magnauk Hailstrom and I once lived here for a short time many years ago. I consider this my home even if I haven’t been here for some time.

He moves to each on giving a genuine smile and offering a hand shake. His calm and clear voice go against his rough look.


Male Dwarf Arcanist 1| HP 10/10 | AC10(14) T10 FF10(14) | F2 R1 W3 +2 vs poison and spells | Init +0 | Per +0 | Darkvision 60ft
Remaining:
Arcane Reservoir 4/4 Spells per day 2/3

The lad is more likely to defend me than the other way around. What was I thinking... being a town savior seems like a good way to impress Ameiko..muses Jinda as he glances towards the elven volunteer. "The more the merrier! and woe be to any goblin that stands in our path!" boasts Jinda, clearly not as confident as he is trying to sound.

Then in a whisper to Ameiko,"No worries, lass. I'll be the brains of this operation, and this half-orc gentleman appears to be quite capable in a fight. Your brother is as safe as a babe in his mo... err... umm... He'll be quite safe in our care."

Stupid! Stupid! Dwarf... mothers are a sore subject with them. Idiot...

I assumed I would know of the parental issues in passing, not details but that the topic is upsetting for the Kaijitsu's. I have run Rise of the Runelords and am trying to make sure I keep the "secret" knowledge from Jinda.


Male Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (Sword Saint) 1 / Brawler 1 | HP 19/19 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | F+5 R+4 W+1 | Init +2 | Per +5 | Challenge used 0/1 | Resolve used 0/1 | Martial Flexibility used 0/4
Ameiko wrote:
...she turns to Hiro and, one hand on her hip, half-jokingly points a finger at him, saying, "Now you'd better bring him back home alive! Why, you haven't had to bodyguard anyone in this town in the better part of five years! So I expect you to sharpen up that sword." She nods her head firmly for emphasis.

"As you command, Ameiko-sama," Hiro replies with a bow, his formal tone belied by the smile on his face. "On my honor, I will see him home safely. With Lyraesel as our guide and Jinda to supervise us, we should have Kenji back before too many dirty dishes accumulate."

Magnauk-Halistrom wrote:
Great. It is great to see you all ready and willing to protect Sandpoint. I am Magnauk Hailstrom and I once lived here for a short time many years ago. I consider this my home even if I haven’t been here for some time. He moves to each on giving a genuine smile and offering a hand shake.

"Hiro Takemashi," Hiro introduces himself as he shakes the half-orc's hand. "When do you wish to set out for the Marsh?"


Ameiko practically beams. "Well, that was quick! I have every confidence that you will get to the bottom of Sandpoint's 'goblin issue," she says. "Remember, if you're going into the marsh, bring a spare pair of boots."

Sheriff Hemlock replies to Kenji's query, saying, "Yes, they somehow got their hands on a cache of fireworks and now they're brazenly striking out at people who travel past the swamp. We can't let this escalate into a full-on attack like the last time. Unfortunately, nobody's ever bothered to make a map of the swamp, so there's no way to know exactly where the goblins are holed up. The whole place is a massive briar of rushes, thickets, and muddy pools; you could be five feet away from a goblin hiding the tree roots and not even see him."

Hemlock thinks for a moment, then says, "There's an old fishing trail that leads off the coast road, though, and it goes up to a shack that was sold a few years back to an eccentric halfling. Name's . . . Walthus . . . hmm . . . Walthus Proudstump, that's it. Apparently he enjoys the marsh. He might have a better idea of where to look." The sheriff shrugs. "Or you could just set up a search pattern and work your way through the entire marsh. Probably take a couple days. Your call."

"Regardless," says the sheriff, "I have a few militia patrolling the old coast road, but our strength is pretty thin. I can't spare any of the irregulars to go wandering through the marsh. Hence why the aristocrats have authorized the reward for dealing with this problem."

"Anything else?" asks the sheriff.


Male Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (Sword Saint) 1 / Brawler 1 | HP 19/19 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | F+5 R+4 W+1 | Init +2 | Per +5 | Challenge used 0/1 | Resolve used 0/1 | Martial Flexibility used 0/4

"I suggest we find this Walthus Proudstump," Hiro suggests to his new companions. "He sounds like our best means for finding the goblins. Lyraesel, do you know how to find the old fishing trail the Sheriff mentioned?

"By the way, Sheriff. Who were the group who went after the goblins three days ago?" Hiro asks.


The sheriff replies to Hiro, "Small band of hired swords -- you know, veterans of some skirmish or another who've decided that their sword-arms are the best way to earn a living. Seems like they had some idea of what they were doing, at least from a fighting perspective, but no idea if they got lost in the marsh or just gave up and left."


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

Kenji comes bursting back into the room a scant couple of minutes later, a backpack stuffed with more things than he possibly could have packed in the time he was gone. He must have had one already prepared. He's got an extra pair of boots hanging from his teeth by the laces as he finishes struggling to get the pack settled on his back.

"Imph rddde..." he mumbles, remembering his mouth is occupied, he spits out the bootlaces and catches the boots in his hands. "I mean I'm ready!" he says excitedly, lacing the boots to the side of his backpack.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Half-Elf Druid 4 (Wolf shaman)

"It should be easy enough to find." Lyraesel says picking up her gear.

Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14


Ameiko vanishes into the kitchen for about two minutes and comes back with a small wrapped cloth package. "Keep this dry," she says as she hands it to Kenji. "There's some rice cakes, and some pickled ginger, and of course some of the local cheese. Just in case you're gone for more than a day!"


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3
DM Jesse Heinig wrote:
Ameiko vanishes into the kitchen for about two minutes and comes back with a small wrapped cloth package. "Keep this dry," she says as she hands it to Kenji. "There's some rice cakes, and some pickled ginger, and of course some of the local cheese. Just in case you're gone for more than a day!"

Kenji will unlimber his backpack, carefully putting the food away. He shoulders it again and smiles at his sister.

"Thanks!" he exclaims. He hesitates, aware of everyone around him, but decides to go ahead and hug her anyways. While embraced, he whispers "Don't worry, I'll make you proud and come back in no time. You can trust me!"


Female Half-Elf Druid 4 (Wolf shaman)

Thinking foe moment, Lyraesel turns to Hiro. "There are actually two paths. The one the sherriff speaks of is the newer of the two,"


Male Dwarf Arcanist 1| HP 10/10 | AC10(14) T10 FF10(14) | F2 R1 W3 +2 vs poison and spells | Init +0 | Per +0 | Darkvision 60ft
Remaining:
Arcane Reservoir 4/4 Spells per day 2/3

"This Brinestump Marsh. What other dangers besides goblins reside in it?" queries Jinda. Don't say trolls, I really hate trolls. Oh and spiders they aren't my favorites...


"Hmm. Vipers, mosquitos, poisonous toads, that sort of thing," says the sheriff. "Nobody's ever seen anything bigger, at least not in recent memory. I guess if you give any stock in the Soggy River Monster there's that, but I think that's more of a local legend than anything."


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

Kenji thinks, asking to no one in particular.

"But would those mercs know about the old path?"

He shrugs, his pack bouncing. "If we find them we can try to rescue them."

-Posted with Wayfinder


Female Half-Elf Druid 4 (Wolf shaman)

"The older one, no. Very few people alive would know about that one. I could only think of three or four who might. The newer one they may have heard of." Lyraesel replies to Kenji's inquiry.


AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 hp 23/24 Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +6 Defensive Abilities orc ferocity

Looking at Lyraesel

You seem to know your way around the marsh. I believe you should decide which path would get us to this Walthus Proudstump the fastest. I believe if we find the Mercs at all it will be deeper in than that.

checking his gear to ensure it is secure Magnauk looks up at everyone.

If we are ready and Lyraesel knows the way I believe we should be off then. If everyone else agrees.


Female Half-Elf Druid 4 (Wolf shaman)

Do I have any idea which is more likely to lead to Walthus?


Male Dwarf Arcanist 1| HP 10/10 | AC10(14) T10 FF10(14) | F2 R1 W3 +2 vs poison and spells | Init +0 | Per +0 | Darkvision 60ft
Remaining:
Arcane Reservoir 4/4 Spells per day 2/3

Well no point in putting off the inevitable.
Quickly finishing his ale, Jinda hops off the bar stool. " They call me Jinda Copperflask, Mr. Halistrom. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. If you'll excuse me, I'll get my kit and meet you all out front."

Jinda heads up stairs, gathers his equipment and settling his hat on his head, marches out the front door of the Rusty Dragon. His battle axe looking out of place with his wizardly gear.

Ah the road, I've missed you.


Lyraesel would know that the new fishing route is on the Lost Coast Road closer to town. It heads over several bridges where fishermen often wile away the day trying to catch fish in the bogs. Then it turns west and goes to Sog's Bay, and to an old shack near the waterline. This shack is where Walthus Proudstump lives.

Since this party isn't big on Knowledge: Local, though, nobody really knows anything about the halfling, why he lives in the swamp, or what he does for a living.


The hastily-assembled group shoulders their packs and sets off in search of profitable adventure!

As you glance back over your shoulder while leaving the Rusty Dragon, you catch sight of Ameiko waving to the group, biting her lower lip nervously.

The trip along the Lost Coast Road takes the party on a quick twist to the southeast along a promontory south of town, then back southwest across the Ashen Moor. The trip along the road is only about two and a half miles, taking perhaps an hour.

The Brinestump Marsh rises ahead of the group like a fog-shrouded terror. Twisted cypress and mangrove trees rise from low-lying ground fog, and the whole area is covered in reeds, thickets, and thornbushes. The locale is rife with the noise of living things -- birds, frogs, insects, and perhaps larger beasts.

It looks something like this.

Lyraesel is passingly familiar with the Marsh. Fishermen sometimes come here to catch mudskippers, carp, and smelt. Of late, though, the place has been home to rumors of a strange Soggy River Monster that prowls the fens -- although nobody claims to have actually seen this supposed creature.

The new fish trail leads south into the marsh and passes over a rickety wooden bridge. As you cross the bridge, branches claw at your hair and packs. The air is cold and damp due to the mist. Strange, long-legged insects sometimes land on your packs, and crawl up onto your shoulders or across your faces before they are waved away.

You cross the first bridge and push your way onto the dense thicket beyond, following the muddy trail as best you can. Lyraesel points out that Sog's Bay is just to the west of you, on your right, only perhaps a fifth of a mile away, but it's so heavily obsucred by bushes and trees that you can barely see more than a handful of paces away (maximum Perception distance in swamps is 2d8 × 10 feet).

In the midst of the marshy rise between two bridges, you spot a badly-mauled corpse. It looks like an animal, half-eaten, surrounded by three-toed footprints.


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

During the first portion of the trip, Kenji is hyped up. He does a few mock kicks and punches, tiny licks of flame squeezing out and dispersing a few inches from his fist.

As the marsh grows more oppressive, he become increasingly more wary. Until he very nearly spasms and falls into the muck the first time a long legged insect lands on his face. He rights himself, smiling sheepishly at the group members staring at him.
"... Sorry." he mutters, rubbing the back of his head.

When the corpse is discovered, he raises his hands and spreads his feet to shoulder width.

Kenji is going to take full defense action and scan the area for attackers while someone else more experienced looks at the body. Also Kenji is squeamish.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Female Half-Elf Druid 4 (Wolf shaman)

Lyraesel crouches near the carcass, studying it's wound and the tracks, hoping to determine what animal had attacked it and which way it went.

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28


Lyraesel studies the carcass and quickly concludes:


  • The animal was a wild pig.
  • It was not killed by goblins. The pig was killed by a stabbing wound from a weapon, but was then also gored by several biting, tearing wounds.
  • The tracks are not humanoid and not animal. Whatever the three-toed tracks are, they are from an upright, walking creature, but it is probably at least as heavy as an elf, maybe a human. It has a long, loping stride, even in the marshy ground.
  • The tracks head southeast into the thick brambles. This is not along the same direction as the road.


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

"Lyraesel, what is it?" Kenji asks, turning a slow circle.

Perception : 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Well.... crap.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Female Half-Elf Druid 4 (Wolf shaman)

"Odd, upright but not goblin, maybe as heavy as an elf or human. It used a weapon but also bit and tore like an animal. Long stride, so it is probably tall, and moves easily in the marsh." the druidess mutters as she tudies the tracks and the pig's injuries.


Male Dwarf Arcanist 1| HP 10/10 | AC10(14) T10 FF10(14) | F2 R1 W3 +2 vs poison and spells | Init +0 | Per +0 | Darkvision 60ft
Remaining:
Arcane Reservoir 4/4 Spells per day 2/3

Jinda readies his axe for combat and moves the edge of the clearing towards the path they were following. Peering down the trail looking for a sign of a disturbance or something waiting for them.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 18

"Think we should investigate that odd creature, or just move along to the hafling's domicile."


AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 hp 23/24 Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +6 Defensive Abilities orc ferocity

Magnauk looks around pulling his weapon and shield reading himself for anything.

What sort of foul bog creature does this? Mix of animal and thinking being?

Magnauk mumbles lightly and then starts to turn slowly around.

Casting Detect Evil


Though the group pauses and circles up, the sounds of wildlife in the marshes are omnipresent and nothing larger than a bird or a squirrel disturbs the bushes nearby. Whatever did this either is well-concealed, or has left the area.


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

Kenji relaxes after several minutes of tense waiting. Sighing, he lowers his hands.

"Well that was a letdown." he said. "Maybe we scared it off since we're in a group?"

Totally NOT going to suggest we split up here. Anyone making a sense motive, like DC 10 would see that he's actually relieved there wasn't a fight.


Female Half-Elf Druid 4 (Wolf shaman)

"If a predator like this was still near, everything else would be silent. It must be long gone."


Male Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (Sword Saint) 1 / Brawler 1 | HP 19/19 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | F+5 R+4 W+1 | Init +2 | Per +5 | Challenge used 0/1 | Resolve used 0/1 | Martial Flexibility used 0/4
Lyraesel wrote:
"Odd, upright but not goblin, maybe as heavy as an elf or human. It used a weapon but also bit and tore like an animal. Long stride, so it is probably tall, and moves easily in the marsh."
Magnauk-Halistrom wrote:
What sort of foul bog creature does this? Mix of animal and thinking being?

"The Sheriff's Soggy River Monster, perhaps?" Hiro muses softly as he warily scans the surroundings, his hand gripping the hilt of his sheathed katana as he moves to stand protectively near Kenji.

Jinda Copperflask wrote:
"Think we should investigate that odd creature, or just move along to the hafling's domicile."

"I suggest we proceed on to Proudstump's. In addition to knowledge of the goblins' location, he may have some insight as to this mysterious creature as well."

Kaijitsu Kenji wrote:
Anyone making a sense motive, like DC 10 would see that he's actually relieved there wasn't a fight.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

"Do not worry, my friend," Hiro says to Kenji, clapping the younger man's shoulder reassuringly. "We'll get the chance to test our abilities soon enough."


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

Kenji nods his head.

"Yeah..." He says, his voice trailing off as he edges around the slaughtered pig. "It'll be a test... of who could kick the most goblin butt!" his exclamation rings a little of nervousness being willfully ignored by foolish young bravado.

The kid means well, and once the first fight is over he'll start to get a real feel for it. Training and instinct should take over.


Male Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (Sword Saint) 1 / Brawler 1 | HP 19/19 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | F+5 R+4 W+1 | Init +2 | Per +5 | Challenge used 0/1 | Resolve used 0/1 | Martial Flexibility used 0/4

"Indeed!" Hiro chuckles in agreement with Kenji. "Now let us go find Master Proudstump."


Moving on through the marsh and leaving the gutted pig behind, the group crosses a second bridge, then follows the trail as it turns to the west.

A muddy trail leads up to a swampy lagoon. The open ocean is visible just beyond these shallow waters, while an old two-story building, its walls soggy with moss and its roof sagging with age, sits on the lagoon’s eastern shore. The house is perhaps a bit like this.

The brush is a bit cleared around the entrance to the house, and the trail leads up to the front door on the eastern side of the structure.

The more intelligent members of the party realize that the two-story house is sized for a human, not a halfling, even though Walthus is ostensibly one of the latter.


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

Kenji leans over to Hiro and whispers:
"Hey... does that look... not right to you?"

He straightens and leans back on his heels, thinking. "Maybe he didn't make it himself?" He asks aloud, confused.

He's going to look around for anything out of place. Perhaps they are at the wrong house.
Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

That was a good roll. Probably wasted on the scenery... :p


The house is obviously quite old. Perhaps Walthus isn't the original owner.

A quick check shows a few things:


  • The house is obviously still lived in.
  • There are barefoot halfling footprints around the premises.
  • Around back there's what appears to be a walled-in back yard. The wall's made out of uneven stone and could probably be climbed with some effort, if for some reason you decided that the front door was not to your liking.


Female Half-Elf Druid 4 (Wolf shaman)

"Well, do you want to go in?" Lyrasel asks the half orc.


AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 hp 23/24 Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +6 Defensive Abilities orc ferocity

Magnauk goes to the front door and knocks and yells out.

Good Master Proudstump we are a group who have been sent here by the sheriff of Sandpoint in order to get information about the goblins in the area. If we may have a moment of your time please.

Magnauk stands relaxed and calm giving off an air of serenity so that he may not look a threat.


After a moment there's a sound of wood scraping on wood -- perhaps a chair moving -- followed by a reedy voice. "Hello? Just a moment!"

You hear the tiny pitter-patter of halfling feet, then the door creaks open. It actually remains stuck the first time it's pulled on, rattling in its frame but not moving, but after a second yank it grudgingly opens.

On the other side is a rather bruised and dirty halfling. He has dark circles under his eyes, sweaty matted hair, and muddy feet. He looks rather like he fell down some stairs and into someone's mud wrestling match.

Walthus Proudstump

"Um, my house is kind of a mess at the moment. Sorry about that! What exactly did you need to know? The sheriff's not wrong, there are certainly goblins about."


Male Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (Sword Saint) 1 / Brawler 1 | HP 19/19 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | F+5 R+4 W+1 | Init +2 | Per +5 | Challenge used 0/1 | Resolve used 0/1 | Martial Flexibility used 0/4

"Are you alright, sir?" Hiro asks in concern. "May we be of assistance? Did goblins do this to you?"


Male Human - Minkaian
Stat Bar:
HP 30/30, AC 15, T 15, FF 12, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4, Init +3, Perception +8
Burn:
Burn 0/5 Today 0/15 Persistent nonlethal damage
Elemental Aesthetic Kineticist 3

Kenji looks at the muddy halfling and raises an eyebrow.
"We are looking for the ones that swiped a bunch of fireworks. Any idea where they're hiding?"

He uses his hands to imitate an explosion, wiggling his fingers and making a *boom* sound with his lips.

"Would have been really hard to miss, especially at night."

He smiles encouragingly.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

-Posted with Wayfinder

1 to 50 of 2,411 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Jade Regent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.