Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Immortal's Blood Red Roses: A Skull & Shackles Campaign

Game Master imimrtl

Current Map.


351 to 400 of 8,093 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Plugg looks over the group shrewdly before turning to Syl and Maheem. Go bring those sorry sacks up here so I can look at em proper like! When they rush to obey he turns back and says So assuming yer tellin the truth about Jape not bein dead, we still got the issue of the fight itself. Maheem there got some injuries didn't result from a friendly brawl. He waits for a moment as Maheem and Syl carry a still unconscious Jape up on deck. Once up there Plugg and Scourge look at him before turning to one of the other officers, the ships mage and Sailing Master by the name of Peppery Longfarthing Well Peppery? You know what caused this?

A blonde woman with a broad brimmed hat and wearing red and black steps forward and looks at Maheem and Jape.

These wounds appear consistent with an attack by some sort of large bird. It is not a difficult thing to summon one of them in a fight although that would be like pulling a sword in a fist fight. We know that some of them have magic but I could not say which one is responsible. With that she moves back to where she was watching with an almost bored expression. You get the feeling she doesn't wish you any particular malice but at the same time couldn't care less what happens to you.

Plugg gives her a frown as she walks away before turning back to the group. Alright here's how it's gonna be. The whole lot o'ye are to get three bashes apiece with the rope fer fighting. With that he encompasses not only you all but Maheem and Syl and you suppose the others down stairs as well. But you lot, He continues, pointing at your group, You get three lashes in addition for turning the brawl inta summat that mighta killed someone. Maheem pipes up and says That one too Mr. Plugg. He was involved as well. Maheem finishes by pointing at Seijiro who was on deck acting nonchalant. You too then. Plugg says before finishing with Now all of ye get to work!

Ok so essentially you all are sentenced to three rope bashes (1 point of nonlethal damage for each bash) and three lashes with the whip by Master Scourge (1d3+2 Nonlethal). All in all probably not that bad of a result considering what might have been lol.

Daily jobs and such forthcoming.


Rain:
1d6 ⇒ 5 Oy! Wench! Yer on lookout duty today so keep yer eyes on the bleedin horizon!

For your job I need dc 10 climb checks to scale 60 feet to the crows nest and then a DC 10 Perception check to successfully complete your job and not get additional punishment.

Seijiro:
1d6 ⇒ 6You are doing ship repairs today with Variel. DC 10 Profession Sailor Check or Dexterity Check to complete successfully.

Variel:
1d6 ⇒ 6You are doing ship repairs today with Seijiro. DC 10 Profession Sailor Check or Dexterity Check to complete successfully.

Horatio:
1d6 ⇒ 2You two! Plugg yells at both you and Dhaavan. Yer both vermin so we'll send ye to catch some vermin. You are sent below to catch rats, beetles, cockroaches and such. DC 10 Stealth, Survival, or Dexterity check to catch enough to be successful.

Dhaavan:
1d6 ⇒ 2You two! Plugg yells at both you and Horatio. Yer both vermin so we'll send ye to catch some vermin. You are sent below to catch rats, beetles, cockroaches and such. DC 10 Stealth, Survival, or Dexterity check to catch enough to be successful.

Valeros:
1d6 ⇒ 4...and you fish boy! Yer on rope haulin duty. So you be quick about it or ye'll get a few more lashes tonight! Hauling heavy coils of rope and doing knot work. DC 10 Profession Sailor or Strength check. In addition make a DC 10 Constitution Check in order to not be fatigued at the end of the shift.

Sko:
1d6 ⇒ 3 Fishguts hands you a harpoon, net and treble hook when you get down to the galley for your assignment. Cap'n wants turtle soup tonight so I need you to fetch me some Leatherbacks. Make sure you get a few decent size so I can make enough. He claps you on the back to say good luck and then sends you off. DC10 Profession Fisherman or Survival check.

Don't forget to give me your ship actions in addition to your duty rolls. You all can talk to whomever you want during the day, I just need a good excuse for you to be wherever that person is. Try to keep the conversations short in time that they would take otherwise someone might ask why your jawin instead of workin. Also remember you can talk to the other members of the crew as well if you want. Ball's in your court now so to speak lol.


M kitsune rogue (pirate)/4; bard(sea singer)/2 AC18 (T 16, FF 12); HP 43/53; saves F +2, R +12, W +4; bab: 4; melee 4(+9), ranged +9; CMB 4, CMD 20; speed 30; init +5(+7); perc +9(11)(+13)

Seijiro glares at Maheem who could have kept his mouth shut and to whom Seijiro had personally done nothing. You've got an enemy now, laddie Seijiro thinks to himself.

He goes about his daily tasks working sometimes hand to hand with Variel and sometimes separately - whereever their repair tasks take them for the day.

profession sailor 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

At some point during the day, he slips down to see the quartermaster. He smiles at her as he approaches a little nervously. "Hullo. I was hoping to arrange the return of my gear. I'm especially in need of the harmonica that was in with the rest. It bears the spirit of my grandfather who played it years gone by when he was young as well. I'm sure his spirit is angry that I've lost it. No telling what he might do if he's mad enough. He never was one to hold his tongue, or his temper." Seijiro gives her a forlorn look.

bluff check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Seijiro:
So you are taking the Shop ship action correct?

Grok grumbles a bit saying things like ...gonna get me keelhauled... and ...have nothin ta trade... and ...need a drink... before she hands you back about 50 gold pieces worth of your stuff saying giving you any more today will look extremely suspicious.

You can pick what gear you get back just keep it under 50gp for now. You can try to get the rest back another time.


F Elf Ranger (Freebooter) 4, Inquisitor 2/AC 18/ HP 48/48, F+8 R+6 W+6 (+2 vs Enchantments)/ Init +4(+6), Perc. +11(+13)

Duty Rolls:

Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Re-roll (Sure Grasp Feat): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Re-roll (Sure Grasp Feat): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Rain bristles internally after the rope bashes and the lashings at Scourge's hand. Her eyes are a striking, dark turquoise (reminiscent of the ocean tossed beneath a brewing storm) and she musters her entire will to not cry out or rebuke Plugg for the punishment. It could have been worse for them had the foul Jape died, but fortunately Valeros and Flynn had seen to it that he had not.

Her silent anger and the recent punishment make her a little unsteady on her feet yet she manages a low "Aye-aye, Mister Plugg", and shaking the feelings off, takes to the ropes as commanded to go man the lookout. Gods, where are my weapons?! The first ten feet of rigging is surprisingly easy to maneuver but she begins to waver a little with her hands and feet as she continues to climb. Taking deep, measured breaths, she manages to keep her footing and not fall. Not my best climbing, but it should not incur the additional wrath of Plugg at this time.

Rain reaches the Crow's Nest in relative time and lifts herself onto the small platform, raising her eyes to the sky then the distant horizon as commanded by Plugg. She lifts her hand to shield her eyes from the more direct sunlight but relishes the wind's cool touch and the open sky. She scans the ocean before her, seeking sign of land or ships (even a brewing storm ahead of them).

Ship actions:
Rain will stay up at the lookout. She will keep an eye out and if Ratline or any other rigger, comes closer, she will try and engage them in conversation to keep building on the initial contact and gain new information.

Diplomacy with Ratline or any other rigger: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Rain spots the long-armed halfling, Ratline, scurrying adeptly through the ropes, wires and chains. She wonders how he has fared after his six lashings of the cat-o'-nine tail. After an appropriate time has passed and Ratline has grown somewhat closer to her perch, she attempts to speak to him, but her eyes never leave the horizon lest Plugg or one of the other monsters look up and believe she is slacking in her duty.

"Ratline, are you alright? Did you know what would go down this morning?"

Off to bed. Good day to the northern hemisphere folk. I'll catch up in my morning.


M kitsune rogue (pirate)/4; bard(sea singer)/2 AC18 (T 16, FF 12); HP 43/53; saves F +2, R +12, W +4; bab: 4; melee 4(+9), ranged +9; CMB 4, CMD 20; speed 30; init +5(+7); perc +9(11)(+13)

yes his ship action is to 'shop'

Seijiro takes what is offered, taking all his equipment back except for his rapier, which he sadly leaves behind. He spends a few minutes wrapping his haramaki around his midsection and tucking a couple of things into it to hide them - his thieves' tools and one dagger - trying to do so without the quartermaster noticing the deception.

sleight of hand 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

"Thankee, ma'am. This will surely help put my grandfather's spirit to gentle rest." He blows a few mournful notes on the harmonica, then slips that into his shirt and under the haramaki as well.

Taldor

Male Elf Magus 3 (AC: 15,12,13; HP: 24; Saves 4,3,4; Init +2, perc +7)

VAriel hears Plugg pronouncement and can't resist giving a nasty look to Dhaavan. The fight was going our way and there was no need of that type of lethal intent. No finesse at all and now we all pay for it.

Hearing his orders and assignment, Variel heads down to Grok to retrieve his gear and Rosie's fiddle before he starts his duties. Placing the rest in a locker he keeps his spell pouch, pendant, and a dagger on him. First thing he does after getting back top side is give the fiddle to Rosie stating that after this morning's festivities and the punishment tonight he may not feel like dancing. Perhaps tomorrow night would be a better time to have fun.

Realizing that the repairs on the ship would grant him access to most of the ship, Variel does his best to learn the layout as best he can. Figuring to start at the bottom and work his way up. Taking some supplies and telling Seijiro that he is working down below Variel take the chance to Sneak around area A11.

Perception check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Getting a good look around at the lowest level of the ship, Variel finally turns his efforts to his assigned tasks. Hopefully his absence wasn't noticed and even so his excuse would grant him some breathing room.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Luckily Variel had experience in this type of work and the day flew by with Seijiro. Variel will tell Seijiro what he found if they have a chance to converse with just the two of them.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

Dex check to catch rats
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

GM (picking who to talk to):
While the sentence is being pronounced, Dhaavan is looking over the crew trying ot pick out anyone who's got some kind of positive reaction to the face that the new batch took on Plugg's bullies. He makes a note of anyone he doesn't know that look like they're no friend of the Officers with whom he can leverage his involvement. Now someone out there must have got jumped by these scalawags 'afore, and be likin seein a body stick it back to 'em. Just need an easy mark what'll help me since i'm in trouble today. Dhaaven wants to find someone that would not disapprove of the fighting, or that looks sympathetic to him and the others, preferably with Tattoos. Definately looks for someone that ins't happy or amused by their punishment. Lemme know if i need a roll to pick a good suitable target for my diplomacy.

Action: Influence:

Diplomacy
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16
While he works, Dhaavan occasionally scrambles up out of the bilges on occasion while chasing a vermin, or heading up decks to dump the ones he's caught so far, looking for one of the individuals he picked out earlier in the day. He catches the individual where he's not being watched too closely, and while stretching and looking somewhat busy, he says " 'Hoy there, well tonight ain't gonna be much fun, eh? But i guess thats whatcha get fer taking a scrap a li'l too serious?" He says with a shrug, accepting of the fact that he's in for a beating and really more making small-talk than complaining. "That kind o' thing routine? fights breakin' out an' such or it ever get less exciting 'round here?"

If he's not immediately rebuffed, he catches up with this person, offering "Hey so the folks here have some decent Ink. I myself can carve a Tattoo fair decent, if you or any o' yer mates'd be interested, one night." HE shows off the Varisian Tattoo on is shoulder, and opens his collar to reveal Jack in tattoo form flying over his shoulder on his collar-bone, as well as a few non-magical design he's got along his forearms.

Horatio:
WHile in the bilges working, Dhaavan quietly to Horatio says, "It were a good thing for yea to check up on Jape like that. Takes an impressive sort to go helping a body in the middle of a scrap. I honestly do appreciate the sentiment, in a body." Looking around, he whispers, when nobody's around, "Oye, so i happen to come cross a few things, think they're Rain's, so if yea see her at some point send her my way to pick 'em up. That said, she is the more fiery sort, and so maybe it aint' the best idea to give her her weapons at this point. I just figure i'm not really the one what should make that call. I figure I best lay a li'l lower to avoid causin' us even more troubles." he says giving an apologetic look.

"Sometimes it's hard to keep my cool in a fight like that. I don't want trouble, and i don't start scrapes, or push folk around, and i don't react well when a body tries to start something with me."

Dhaaven clearly doesn't see how Horatio mistrusts him and is instead admitting to his mistakes in the brawl. He also hives Horatio the information about Rain's weapons, as the two of them seem to get on, and it's not like Dhaaven wants to hide them, Rain's just on the other side of the ship.

[spoiler=Variel]Sure that the book mage could likely tell Dhaaven was the one that summoned the bird, when he sees Variel below decks working on repairs, he chases an imaginary roach over to the elf, and whispers, "Thanks fer not fingering me as the one what called the bird there this mornin. It was a mistake, but I'm not much good in a fight, without summons. I appreciate it." Dhaaven moves away after scuttling feet, before returning to add "I also got a few things, what may be Rain's an' haven't had time to tell her. So I'm leavin it to you and Horatio to let her know i got her stuff. Tryin not to attract attention to it tho."


Rain Taneththir wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Rain bristles internally after the rope bashes and the lashings at Scourge's hand. Her eyes are a striking, dark turquoise (reminiscent of the ocean tossed beneath a brewing storm) and she musters her entire will to not cry out or rebuke Plugg for the punishment. It could have been worse for them had the foul Jape died, but fortunately Valeros and Flynn had seen to it that he had not.

He doesn't hit you right then. The punishments are at the end of the day and I need to roll for the lashes for the nonlethal damage. Great response though!

Taldor

Male Elf Magus 3 (AC: 15,12,13; HP: 24; Saves 4,3,4; Init +2, perc +7)

Making sure no one else is around,

Dhaavan:

I won't rat a fellow companion who is in the same situation as I am. Owever, I strongly urge you to consider your abilities and how to use them in this company. I don't know for sure, but Plugg made the moment about multiple caters in the group. I can only hope he is referring to you and Sko, but with Peppery there it is very likely that she could read my 'journal' and now what I am capable of. If not than so much the better for me. As it is, I would like no one to know what I can do until the time comes.

After a moments pause to check again that no one else is present, I as well have my gear back but have it stowed away. Perhaps giving Rain's back would be a good idea but as long as she is cautioned to not be aggressive right now. If I see her during my repairs I will let her know. Which locker is yours?

We are all trading water and sinking fast at this rate. I hope everyone can do their tasks and we can put today behind us.

Before leaving Dhaavan, Variel will cast prestidigitation on himself and Dhaavan to clean themselves up a bit. Again only if no one else is looking.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

Ret-Conned reaction to the punishment
Dhaavan winces at the note of the bird's attacks, but tries not to look like he's responsible. Damn, had i know this would be such trouble, I'd not have summoned the dammed animal. Oh well, lesson learned, I guess.

At the additional punishment of two whips from the Scourge being pronounced, Dhaavan glances around at the others, assuming that at least a few in this lot would have guessed that it was his fault. He takes a deep breath, wishing he had a god to prey to and ask for help, but there's not mercy from the heavens, and no mercy here either. Fact of life. Looks like i got enemies on the crew, and likely earning enemies among the press-ganged. Got to make what friends I can while I got the chance, or this'll be a short voyage for me. Letting out a sigh, he wonders Dammit Besmara, what in the nine have you gotten me into here! I don't think my body can even take that kind of a beating. he waits patiently, resigned as duties are assigned.

Oh gods, the surgeon. He seems alright, but I can't shake the feeling that he's giving me the eye sometimes. Hope it's just my imagination. "Aye sir!" Dhaavan says, hustling below decks, eager to get out of the line of fire for a moment.

Variel:

Jack climbs out of Dhaaven's shirt, and keeps a lookout for the two as they talk, hopping about at the entrance to the bilges chirping if the two aren't going to be alone for long, ready to return to his place on Dhaavan's flesh.
"It's locked, and she's up at the lookout. If you see her afore I do, let her know I'll unlock it tonight so she can get that stuff off my hands, she'd be doing me a favor. I can't afford much more trouble as it is, and if anybody looks into there and sees it, I'm good as dead I figure," he observes with casual resignation. "Hope she appreciates the risk I took holdin' onto it for her." he adds almost to himself.

WHen Jack returns he whispers

Infernal:
[b][i]"Hopefully that's two markers i got from the elves, for the book and the gear. Valeros I owe but he can only collect if I'm alive, and then there's the ladies on the crew already. Not many of friends compared to a lot enemies, Jack. Not many friends at all.
He sighs and gives the bird a little affectionate scratch as it nestles into his shirt once again.


M kitsune rogue (pirate)/4; bard(sea singer)/2 AC18 (T 16, FF 12); HP 43/53; saves F +2, R +12, W +4; bab: 4; melee 4(+9), ranged +9; CMB 4, CMD 20; speed 30; init +5(+7); perc +9(11)(+13)

Once all his gear is stashed about his person, the only thing showing being the one dagger that is visibly tucked into his sash, he goes back to work. His heart a little lighter knowing where all his gear is, and having most of it, he actually works harder the rest of the day.

Variel:
Variel especially might notice that Seijiro seems to be working harder and with a little bit less of a sour attitude. He even whistles from time to time while working.

Towards the end of the day, he remembers about the punishments to be meted out and his attitude changes again, growing less pleased with himself as evening grows closer. He occasionally, when opportunity allows, casts narrow-eyed glances at Maheem who ratted him out. Even Syl hadn't said anything about his presence in the hold.

There's a special place in hell for snitches and rats. Maheem just earned himself a berth there. No reason not to help him experience a little hell before he gets there, though....


Human Druid (Shark shaman) 2, Barbarian (Beast Totem) 1/AC: 13/HP: 30/F +7, R +0, W +6/Init. +0/Per. +7

Job Check:
Survival (DC 10): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Ha! Let's see that Plugg ba$/@^d complain about this catch!

Day Action:
Rather than talk to one person specifically, Sko takes his free time to mingle among the crew (avoiding Plugg's toadies) asking questions about what they thought of last night's meal, what tonight's meal is going to be (Captain's orders), is there ever anything wrong with the food and whatnot. One on one communication isn't really Sko's strong point so he wants to become a familiar face to the crew and be associated with something that everyone finds important: food.


Male Gillman Oracle (Waves) 4; AC 14 (T 11, FF13) / HP: 34/34 / F +4, R +3, W +5 / Init: +1 / Percep: +0

Valeros moves off to the ropes and begins hauling, his skin already drying under the baking sun. He keeps his head down and tries to focus on his work, knowing he's got a number of lashes coming his way tonight and trying to avoid any more.

Day Time Action: Work Dilligently
Profession sailor: 1d20 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 4 = 12
Con check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)
Dhaavan wrote:

Dex check to catch rats

1d20+2

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **...

Response to Dhaavan:

As I work with Dhaavan I think for a while, than talk to him a bit while we work.

”The language that you spoke – I do not know, but I now suspect that it is the language of either devils or demons?” I say, somewhat rhetorically as I move forward with my statement without allowing him much of a chance to continue.

”I do not know – I merely suspect – but the evidence is writ strongly there. The foul sound of the speech – the power that you wield – the stench of sulfur from the arrival of the creature, somewhat symptomatic of the stenches of the Hells, or so I am told, and of course – your heritage. From Cheliax – a nation of those who summon such creatures, it is said, eh?”

Sensing Dhaavan’s response I hold up my hand.

”No – do not protest – it is not my business to meddle in how people earn their bread; I have healed men who have done far worse than you have, for healing is my business. So long as it does not hurt me or mine – your actions are between you and the gods. Even so – I should add, be cautious of such things. It is written that such beings are powerful – and they would seek to twist the very soul of the creature who called them out from the darkness.”

”Even so, I offer a bit of advice; a man can either control his passions, or be controlled by them. If you are tempted to such actions again – do what you can to stay your hand until the opportunity presents itself. After all – there is always time for revenge,” I add the last with a knowing glance.

”As for the elven woman – I shall pass on your information to her, do not fear on that account.”

Working a moment in silence – I ponder something.

”You look badly off, sir – and I would not have you suffer any further damage this evening, if I can help it. Therefore – if you will permit me – I shall do what I can to aid you in your recovery.”

”To speed the work – I know little of the ways of the magi – and much of my lore is from books. I would be eager to know more of people from other cultures, and hear tales of your life and experience. I have heard of such magic as yours – but wielded only by dark cultists and evil men. I have never seen one who would be an ally to me use such power to aid me. I am curious to know more… What can you tell me about your history, if you do not mind? I would be happy to learn,” I add politely, curious to know what the boy will share.

Heal Check on Dhaavan to make sure he is still alright and not damaged if he is going to receive the lash tonight. FYI – I am still a little fuzzy on if the lash can kill him or not – but I suppose that depends on his Con Check. I’m not actually trying to “heal him” – just want to get a sense of how bad off he his, and if he might need some healing between now and then. Just let me know.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 = Cursory check on his condition – to see if anything should be done, like “Extra Healing” – or if he needs magical aid between now and then. This should be a "standard action" - and take no more than six seconds; but if he does need magical healing, I want to know before his lashes.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

FYI – I like to write, and generally post my character’s “thoughts” so that people have a better understanding of my character’s motives. But, as that is seemingly not for everybody – I shall continue to do so in “spoiler form”. If you want to read them – feel free. If you don’t read them, they won’t affect you either way. It’s just what my character is thinking so you understand where he’s coming from –since there is no “body language” in PbP.

Thoughts leading to motives before my duties and “actions”.:

Below decks is hot – abysmally hot…

I glance at Dhaavan as we continue to work “collecting” vermin, my jaw still sore and my body still aching from the fight. I glance aloft and see the sun peering through the beams and gauge it briefly.

This is going to be a long day…

I move from place to place in the cramped hold; seeking not only scurrying rodents or other such beasts – but also I try to put my mind to work on what needs to happen next. As I consider possibilities while I work, I am secretly pleased at the mundane duty. It is not fun, to be sure – but something about a repetitive task involving physical labor is very freeing to the mind, once you are in “the rhythm” of that task.

Even so – I must first catch these filth while I think.

Dexterity Check to catch vermin
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

More thoughts:

First things first, though – I want some arms!

While I may not actually use weapons in another skirmish – I would prefer to have some weapon on me. I do not know why specifically – but when I armed, I feel safer. The enemy is less likely to try things if they know I can kill them. Even Dhaavan’s rash actions earlier today, at the least it may forestall such a clumsy attempt to bully us into submission.

Even so – where would I get weapons – or my gear, for that matter…

That was easy enough to deduce. The ship had a quartermaster in the form of the half-orc. It seemed that persuading this scum to return gear was apparently an easy task for the rest of the crew; therefore – I shall attempt it myself.

Even so – what can I offer the half-orc to persuade it to give over the gear? I have no money to give – and I have no things to barter with. What would cause a half-orc to sunder things in his possession and return them to me?

Well – what do I know of half-orcs – that is my first clue.

They’re tribal, having both leaders who are matriarchs or patriarchs – the general rule of their government being that the strongest lead. This means they obey strength – and strength holds power over them to bend them to my will. Even so – what strength do I have?

I am a single person – with no gear, and no weapons. How can I convince her of power?

Perhaps he will not need to consider your physical strength, if he believes you are wizard of shaman – or perhaps a priest to some dark orcish deity? Such beings have great strength, and it is often hidden from view…

That seems the best course, then. As I have no coin and am unarmed if I could trick him into believing I am a powerful wizard – or some dark being with hidden powers – than he may convinced to give my gear out of fear for some “curse” I should lay on it – perhaps a hex or the “Evil Eye”, as they call it.

I ponder a moment longer.

Certainly it would easy to convince him to return my firearm, I should think. To a half-orc such a weapon would likely seem to be a complicated and somewhat unwieldy piece of scrap – if he didn’t disgard it already; that could be done, and easily.

Assuming he has never seen a firearm – he may have; for that you should best watch carefully, and play it by ear…

Well – at the least I may be able to get my weapons back. Especially my mother's dagger…

Yes – that could work!

My mother had died when I was young – but she had left me a “keepsake”. A dagger – well made, though not by some master crafter; even so – it was well made, fashionable, and forged from a metal called “Cold Iron”. It was for fighting demons and devils – my mother had said – though she had never actually used it on such things. Even so – this weapon could be a catalyst to prompt the half-orc.

Aye – a wise plan, that.

The dagger – unusual in make, fashioned from Cold Iron – made to slay devils and demons… A person who used this weapon, indeed – who owned that weapon – it was not too unlikely to believe such a person would be attached to “powerful gods” – and this could be the leverage I need to prompt the half-orc to return my gear.

Excellent.

Today’s Action – when I have a sufficient collection of bugs and vermin, I shall move to dump it, and speak to the quartermaster; this does not prevent me from continuing to go back to work – I am merely using this chance to dump the stuff as a chance to talk via the “good excuse to be there” part. My intention is to convince the half-orc with the gear that I am a “powerful being” – a slayer of demons and devils, as evidenced by my equipment; specifically the dagger. My intention is to try to convince the half-orc to give me whatever I can take. I suppose that to do this I will have to attempt to “Bluff” rather than Diplomacy – but it is more in keeping with the character, I think. However, if that is not appropriate - I can roll a "Diplomacy" check instead - I am not sure on the protocol here - but am gambling on a hunch. But it's what my character would try, based on what he knows about orc culture. Please let me know of any changes I need to make in this case, if at all. Thank you!
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23


Rain Taneththir wrote:

Rain reaches the Crow's Nest in relative time and lifts herself onto the small platform, raising her eyes to the sky then the distant horizon as commanded by Plugg. She lifts her hand to shield her eyes from the more direct sunlight but relishes the wind's cool touch and the open sky. She scans the ocean before her, seeking sign of land or ships (even a brewing storm ahead of them).

** spoiler omitted **...

Ratline looks at you curiously before saying quietly I heard them on their way down to you all. I woulda warned ye but I found out too late ta do much ta help. I'm sorry ye get pinched by those bastards but don't go thinkin of retaliatin any time soon ye hear? Plugg looks to be wantin you folks ground down somethin fierce. I'd say try and keep yer heads low the next few days and see how things go. Ye let me know if I can help with anything...though I won't help if I'm gonna risk getting the old one way salt bath. He smiles tentatively before going back to work.


Variel Nightstorm wrote:

Hearing his orders and assignment, Variel heads down to Grok to retrieve his gear and Rosie's fiddle before he starts his duties. Placing the rest in a locker he keeps his spell pouch, pendant, and a dagger on him. First thing he does after getting back top side is give the fiddle to Rosie stating that after this morning's festivities and the punishment tonight he may not feel like dancing. Perhaps tomorrow night would be a better time to have fun.

Rosie almost squeals with glee when you give her the fiddle. She turns a smile on you and says If you weren't so tall I might kiss ya, ye scoundrel. She strokes her fiddle for a moment before looking at you with a somewhat chagrined face. I'm sorry about you and yours gettin waylaid like that. I wish I woulda been there with ye givin them a bit o'Bessie here. she says patting her handaxe.


Dhaavan wrote:

Dex check to catch rats

1d20+2

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **...

Dhaavan you see a woman who looks like she might come from the Shackles itself who shakes her head when Plugg pronounces the sentence. She doesn't look like she agrees with you all either but at least she is not enjoying your misery. You notice she goes around in barefeet like some of the crew but hers look extra calloused like she never wore shoes in her life.

She has what look like tribal tattoos down her arms and across her shoulders. Fanciful whorls and and such in black and red ink.

You catch her on a break coming down into the hold for a new winch for one of the sails. She looks around furtively as you talk to her but stays to listen.

Fights? It happens but nothing like that. That seemed organized it did. You all were foolish to fight with them like that though. Yer lucky Jape didn't end up dyin. Even so I can't say I like what they did.

Barefoot Samms attitude moved from indifferent to friendly towards you.


Sko wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

Sko heads to the stern to set his lines early in the day and before long has caught his first leatherback. A monstrous thing it nearly snaps the thick line before Sko and Fishguts manage to pull the thing in. At near 100 pounds, Sko has a feeling the fishing gods are with him this day. The rest of the day goes well landing a couple more smaller ones before landing an absolute monster of a leatherback near the end of the day. Fishguts capers about with glee at the catch and sets to work preparing the meal.

As you mingle with the crew you get the sense that they are impressed with your fishing and seem amenable to chatting with you. Before long though, Fishguts calls you down to the galley to help him with the meal.


Valeros Jaloksin wrote:

Valeros moves off to the ropes and begins hauling, his skin already drying under the baking sun. He keeps his head down and tries to focus on his work, knowing he's got a number of lashes coming his way tonight and trying to avoid any more.

Day Time Action: Work Dilligently
Profession sailor: 1d20+4+4
Con check: 1d20+2

Valeros you are able to complete your task successfully...barely but all the effort leaves you very tired by the end of the day.


Horatio Flynn wrote:

FYI – I like to write, and generally post my character’s “thoughts” so that people have a better understanding of my character’s motives. But, as that is seemingly not for everybody – I shall continue to do so in “spoiler form”. If you want to read them – feel free. If you don’t read them, they won’t affect you either way. It’s just what my character is thinking so you understand where he’s coming from –since there is no “body language” in PbP.

** spoiler omitted **

Dexterity Check to catch vermin
1d20 + 3

** spoiler omitted **...

Grok rubs her head as you walk in muttering under her breath. Not another one... When you start speaking about yourself as a "powerful being" she is at first skeptical but then as you are talking her eyes widen a bit and she seems to start believing a bit. She doesn't give you all your gear but gives you some of it back. You get 80gp worth of your gear back. Pick it as you choose but make sure it is worth only a max of 80 gold. Your gun counts as 10gp for this purpose due to the fact that it is in "broken" condition for anyone but you as per normal.

Taldor

Male Elf Magus 3 (AC: 15,12,13; HP: 24; Saves 4,3,4; Init +2, perc +7)

Any luck with the perception check in the bilges? Don't expect anything but just curious if there is anything else of note.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)
DM Immortal wrote:
Horatio Flynn wrote:

FYI – I like to write, and generally post my character’s “thoughts” so that people have a better understanding of my character’s motives. But, as that is seemingly not for everybody – I shall continue to do so in “spoiler form”. If you want to read them – feel free. If you don’t read them, they won’t affect you either way. It’s just what my character is thinking so you understand where he’s coming from –since there is no “body language” in PbP.

** spoiler omitted **

Dexterity Check to catch vermin
1d20 + 3

** spoiler omitted **...

Grok rubs her head as you walk in muttering under her breath. Not another one... When you start speaking about yourself as a "powerful being" she is at first skeptical but then as you are talking her eyes widen a bit and she seems to start believing a bit. She doesn't give you all your gear but gives you some of it back. You get 80gp worth of your gear back. Pick it as you choose but make sure it is worth only a max of 80 gold. Your gun counts as 10gp for this purpose due to the fact that it is in "broken" condition for anyone but you as per normal.

"Well done! Fear no evil; I shall see that the darkness shall pass you by..." I say softly but firmly, nodding to her.

Excellent – thank you.

Gear Taken:

Pistol – 10 GP
30 shots/gunpowder – 30 GP
Ornate Cold Iron Dagger – 5 GP
Gunsmithing Kit – 15 GP
Rapier – 20 GP

Total GP = 80 GP

I shall attempt to hide my rapier, 25 shots and the gunsmithing kit for now. I would like to carry the pistol, 5 shots and the dagger on me; but “concealed” if possible. Please let me know what I need to do this, or how it can be accomplished. Mainly – do I have time make a thorough check to hide it, or do my "daily duties" prevent it? Your answer will effect my next decision. Thank you.

Also - what is Dhaavan's current medical condition? Will he need healing or "Aid" before he gains the extra lashes?


Variel Nightstorm wrote:
Any luck with the perception check in the bilges? Don't expect anything but just curious if there is anything else of note.

Sorry I missed that.

The lowest deck of the ship, the bilges are a foul, damp place with thick cobwebs above and 1–2 feet of dark, brackish water that stinks abominably below. A ladder leads up to a trap door that opens in the lower hold (area A10), and a single bilge pump rests near the stern. The bilges also double as the ship’s brig, and six sets of manacles are fixed to the bulkheads in the forward portion of the deck. There are also a number of boxes packed with straw strewn about among the water and other detritus. You find within a badly stinking but still serviceable set of leather armor, three heavy maces with the heads like leering skulls, and 12 pieces of various silver coinage. In addition to those, underneath a box in the corner, you come across a beautifully made and engraved handaxe that after it is cleaned and polished will probably be worth a fair amount of gold you suspect.

DM Eyes Only:
1d6 ⇒ 2

loot you found:
Leather Armor
3 heavy maces
12 SP
Masterwork Handaxe


Horatio Flynn wrote:

Grok rubs her head as you walk in muttering under her breath. Not another one... When you start speaking about yourself as a "powerful being" she is at first skeptical but then as you are talking her eyes widen a bit and she seems to start believing a bit. She doesn't give you all your gear but gives you some of it back. You get 80gp worth of your gear back. Pick it as you choose but make sure it is worth only a max of 80 gold. Your gun counts as 10gp for this purpose due to the fact that it is in "broken" condition for anyone but you as per normal.

"Well done! Fear no evil; I shall see that the darkness shall pass you by..." I say softly but firmly, nodding to her.

Excellent – thank you.

** spoiler omitted **

Also - what is Dhaavan's current medical condition? Will he need healing or "Aid" before he...

Concealing an item or weapon requires a Sleight of Hand check. Unfortunately it is trained only and I don't think you have it. Also I am not sure about Dhaavan's condition. I don't remember him getting hit too badly but I'm not sure. Remember you heal 1 point of nonlethal damage per hour so by the time the "bloody hour" rolls around you will have gotten back 10 or so nonlethal HP.

Taldor

Male Elf Magus 3 (AC: 15,12,13; HP: 24; Saves 4,3,4; Init +2, perc +7)
DM Immortal wrote:
Variel Nightstorm wrote:
Any luck with the perception check in the bilges? Don't expect anything but just curious if there is anything else of note.

Sorry I missed that.

The lowest deck of the ship, the bilges are a foul, damp place with thick cobwebs above and 1–2 feet of dark, brackish water that stinks abominably below. A ladder leads up to a trap door that opens in the lower hold (area A10), and a single bilge pump rests near the stern. The bilges also double as the ship’s brig, and six sets of manacles are fixed to the bulkheads in the forward portion of the deck. There are also a number of boxes packed with straw strewn about among the water and other detritus. You find within a badly stinking but still serviceable set of leather armor, three heavy maces with the heads like leering skulls, and 12 pieces of various silver coinage. In addition to those, underneath a box in the corner, you come across a beautifully made and engraved handaxe that after it is cleaned and polished will probably be worth a fair amount of gold you suspect.

Sweet.

During the day when appropriate, Variel will slowly add the items to his locker except the armoras that is too large to conceal. All of the items will get a liberal dose of prestidigitation to clean them up and hide where they may have come from. As Dhaavan and Horatio are down in the bilges with me, I will share the fact that I found three heavy maces and offer 1 each to them if they would like. The handaxe I will keep for myself but in the locker for now.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

Score! Got another one! And she's got sweet tatts!

GM - Barefoot Samms:

Dhaaven nods at the assessment that the attack was planned. "They said Plugg wanted our crew taught a lesson. Hopefully after the bloody hour we won't have more lessons for a little while."

Checking out her tribal markings, he asks, "Where are those from? I'm Varisian, so that's why mine have this design.". When he gets the chance he chats, and asks, "any your mates dig these, or you want so me ink added?" if there are others at night time that may want a tatt, Dhaavan'll want to influence them and get himself known for Tatto-craft.


Horatio, I've written your response.
Horatio:

Dhaavan pauses when Horatio stops him, after accusing him of being from Cheliax. He waits patiently as the surgeon advises him. "There is fire in my veins, yeah, i'll admit it. Come from my mother, and it's no fault of mine, but that's the last time you'll ever accuse me of being Chelaxian. My father were a Varisian, and i bear Varisian marks and use Varisian magic. I'm born Varisian and raised Varisian, and nobody's gonna call me out as some Cheliax dog. Are we clear?" Dhaavan is clearly trying not to let his anger get the better of him. He would look Cheliaxian if it weren't for his cloths which is why he wears such loud Varisian garb, the spitting image of his mother.

"I deal with my blood best as I can, And it were Jack what taught me his speak, whatever language it be, and wherever the creatures I call come from speak it too, which is fine with me. Now I ain't interested in starting fights or gettin revenge, and you can trust me if i can trust you, I swear it. But as you can see, I ain't one to be crossed cause I don't pull punches when push comes to shove."

Taldor

Male Elf Magus 3 (AC: 15,12,13; HP: 24; Saves 4,3,4; Init +2, perc +7)
DM Immortal wrote:
Variel Nightstorm wrote:

Hearing his orders and assignment, Variel heads down to Grok to retrieve his gear and Rosie's fiddle before he starts his duties. Placing the rest in a locker he keeps his spell pouch, pendant, and a dagger on him. First thing he does after getting back top side is give the fiddle to Rosie stating that after this morning's festivities and the punishment tonight he may not feel like dancing. Perhaps tomorrow night would be a better time to have fun.

Rosie almost squeals with glee when you give her the fiddle. She turns a smile on you and says If you weren't so tall I might kiss ya, ye scoundrel. She strokes her fiddle for a moment before looking at you with a somewhat chagrined face. I'm sorry about you and yours gettin waylaid like that. I wish I woulda been there with ye givin them a bit o'Bessie here. she says patting her handaxe.

If you were there with Bessie we might be Ina bit more trouble. Not hat I wouldn't have wanted your help. I just think you could have handled them without the need of Bessie. As far as that kiss, well how about you planting one on me tonight when everyone can see it. Especially some of those other guys that think their the gods gift to women...


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

To Variel – in Dhaavan’s presence:

Not speaking elven, as Variel is nearby and I don’t mind him hearing, a bit while we work.

”My thanks, sir. I confess that the mace is not a weapon I am very well skilled in, however – but it could prove useful.”

Moving in somewhat conspiratorially – I speak to them in a hushed voice.

”I have a hunch that there are likely other such caches on board the ship – we should keep an eye out for them, and – if possible – share such locations that we searched. We do not want to search the same place twice,” I add.

”Tonight at evening meal we should share such information – also – if either of you have met those aboard who you feel are trustworthy – let us share that as well. You noticed that only a few of these folk seem to be under Plugg’s thumb? There are likely more that are sympathetic to our cause, and by finding ready allies – we may improve our chance of survival, eh?”

Pulling away so I do not distract from my work, I add a final comment –

”If either of you are worried about being overheard – remember – we can always leave each other written messages so that no one may overhear us,” I add, than go quickly back to work.


F Elf Ranger (Freebooter) 4, Inquisitor 2/AC 18/ HP 48/48, F+8 R+6 W+6 (+2 vs Enchantments)/ Init +4(+6), Perc. +11(+13)
DM Immortal wrote:
Ratline looks at you curiously before saying quietly I heard them on their way down to you all. I woulda warned ye but I found out too late ta do much ta help. I'm sorry ye get pinched by those bastards but don't go thinkin of retaliatin any time soon ye hear? Plugg looks to be wantin you folks ground down somethin fierce. I'd say try and keep yer heads low the next few days and see how things go. Ye let me know if I can help with anything...though I won't help if I'm gonna risk getting the old one way salt bath. He smiles tentatively before going back to work.

"I believe you when you say you would have warned us if you had opportunity." Rain mulls over Ratline's advice not to retaliate and not to give Plugg further cause to punish them in the next few days. But if the scoundrel was determined to ground them down, then it seemed that no matter what they did not do, they would find trouble ordered by Plugg and perpetrated by those bilge-sucking hands working for him. Has no one tried standing up to Plugg or Captain Harrigan? They seem despised, definitely feared by the crew, yet no one does a thing about it ... Most strange. She looks Ratline in the eyes and pledges to keep her head down for now.

When Ratline goes back to work, Rain lifts her eyes back to the wide ocean and skies, concentrating her sight in segments of the ocean laying before her at this height. Plugg keeps me aloft while my friends are below. Is it a scheme to isolate me from the others and break our steadfastness?, these thoughts move in her mind.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

DM:
Does she see anything of particular note from the Crow's Nest?

After 30 minutes have passed, Rain once again subtly motions to gain Ratline's attention, relying once more on his helpfulness. She asks quietly, "Ratline, where is the Wormwood headed? And for what purpose -- that is, what business is it carrying out in this part of the ocean?"

Depending on how Ratline answers, if he indeed has an answer, then ...

Being that she is not the one navigating the Wormwood and is not privy to the charts to determine their exact location, Rain attempts to figure out where the ship is currently sailing/headed. She is familiar with the treacherous coastlines and waters of the Shackles and hopes this knowledge can aid her in this.

Survival check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

DM:
If this is not possible at this time, then please disregard.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

Horatio, Dhaavan responded to you. Also Dhaavan didn't take any damage in the fight, so he's s@*$# & span, no worries. The problem is that it is going to take 3 damage from the rope, and between 3 and 5 from the whip, so Dhaavan will take 6 to 8 non-lethal and pass-out if he takes 8 total. so he's going to pass out even if scourge rolls minimum damage. So GM that's something that is going to happen.

GM:

Can Dhaaven ask an NPC for a favor without using an action? If he can, he'd try to ask Sandara about maybe getting some healing when he passes out after the whipping.
Sandara
While hunting vermin, Dhaavan sends Jack to flit around and find Sandara, so he can go directly to the woman, as opposed to needing to look around for her. When Jack reports back, Dhaavan goes up with a few rats to toss over the edge and chum the waters.
[ooc]Diplomacy:
asking a favor
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21
"Hey there. Well, this morning was pretty wretched, and tonight is going to be even worse. I really do hate to have to ask a favor, but..." he pauses for a moment rather ashamed "Well i don't know if I can handle the beating I got coming, and not sure if all the rest of us can, and you mentioned being on the Queen's good side. So would it be too much to ask if you are able to do use any healing magics, enough to get us back on our feet at some point? Don't want to get you into trouble for helping us, but..."


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

To Dhaavan and Variel:

I grin somewhat at the boy’s staunch determination to prove his honor.

”Lad,” I say, my smile genuine ”I apologize then for my assumption, if you would prefer. I thought I heard in the cantina that you were of Chelaxian descent, and merely presumed it. If it offends you – again; apologies, that was not my intent.”

”Actually,” I add in a somewhat laconic tone ”my intent was to know who I sail with – and who would be an ally; rather than making enemies.”

”As I said before, how a man makes a living is no particular concern of mine, provided it does not hurt those I care about. As for bloodline or heritage? Nay - that is the least of my concerns. I prefer to judge a man by his actions - not that of his ancestors.”

"As for Cheliax - I know something of their culture. Enough to make me have concern for them - but not so much that I would doubt or despise a man from the land simply because he laid claim to being born there, or even having family that lived there."

”As for me? Well lad, when a man comes under my knife for aid – no matter what his blood, I will do what I can to help them. I have even helped Imperial Marines from Cheliax,” I add with a somewhat dry tone ”Though, in truth, I owe the Imperial Navy of Cheliax no particular favor or debt."

"Still," I continue "I recall once when a ship I served on picked up a man adrift at sea, he was given to me to take care of. I learned from his ranting – he was somewhat feverish at the time – that he was in fact an Imperial Marine. Yet what could I do? Kill him? Nay – I did what my duty demanded; I opened his skin so I could bleed out the puss, then I cut out the rot and finally bound his wounds and commended his spirit to the gods. I did what I could for the man and from then his fate was his own. And he survived; though he had lost his arm…”

I chuckled somewhat to myself.

”He left the ship and returned to the Empire of Cheliax. For him there was no trial for being an marine in the service with an enemy nation - instead he was ransomed off back to his family because of their wealth."

"Yet several months after the incident a courier arrived with a letter for me. Apparently this marine was a nephew to a somewhat minor baron – and that wished to thank me for the service I had done and presented me with Writ of Meritorious Conduct from the Empire of Cheliax – sponsored by this Baron regarding his nephew.”

”In the letter, the marine wished to formally express his gratitude for what I had done. He informed me – in the letter – that though his duty demanded that he remain at his post, and – should the situation arise when he must face me as an enemy; he would do so to the limit of his ability – even so – he wished to personally extend his thanks to me, and inform me that he did sincerely pray that such an occasion would not occur – preferring rather that we may one day meet again in peace.”

I chuckle again – the story distracting me from the work – and I was glad at the chance to talk and do something other than simply labor below deck or suffer abuse from Plugg and his cronies.

”I am no friend of the Empire, nor Cheliax as a whole – but you see? I do not judge a man by either his bloodline, nor do I judge a man based on his profession. Instead I prefer to judge a man by how he treats me.”

I pause to wipe away some sweat from my brow shortly after I stab and skewer another rat with a sharpened stick.

”Now – as for your magical beasts and the tongues you speak? Again – I know little of you, as I mentioned – but I would know more. I prefer using my wits to some crude means of completing a task, though it may seem an ironic statement given our current duty. Yet I prefer the pursuit of lore, not base labor – and I enjoy learning besides, merely for the sake of knowledge. If you have tales to tell, or knowledge you would share – feel free; for I would learn of whatever you wish to share with me.”

”For myself? I could tell you tales of the shaman priests of the Mwangi tribes who, with their warriors – would make raids against our settlements. I could tell you of white-washed colonial manors filled with nobles resplendent in their military dress uniforms and ladies wearing dazzling and elaborate dresses even in the summer's heat; or the estates and fields owned by wealthy farmers who ran their lands like a small city state; I could tell you of naval battles with raiders and slave catchers – and the occasional forays from Sahuagin – and other things more fierce and deadly… A fair exchange of tales to pass the time; but in truth – I should like to learn, and to study – and perhaps know more of the things that you do.”

”Of course – this applies to either of you,” I add somewhat expansively to Variel – as we are all working in the same station it seems. Either way, my offer is both sincere and genuine – learning about a person is something I find personally interesting – and any information they wish to share would be something I would enjoy very much.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

Horatio & Variel:

Dhaavan listen as Horatio explains himself, and softens considerabely as teh man apologizes for the misunderstanding. "I ain't got such impressive tales, more unfortunate events what lead me back to the sea. Can't get away. See the family always wandered along the coasts, frequented ports, and when we finally went inland, the caravan we traveled with would get hit by bandits and brigands all too much. I was just a brat at the time, anyway, we get cross this river fort, and out Guide gets hisself killed in an attack. Goin into unfamiliar lands with no idea where exactly the next town is ain't no good idea with a young one with ya, so the folks took me and theri other brats back to the river and down along it figuring we're sure to run into some town or port, and we follow it all the way down to the delta.

Dhaven narrates the tale calmly, but at this point there's a bit of a chuckle as he tells his mates, "Were a few people followed my old man, figurin' a Varisian knew a thing or two more about wandering than a fat merchant what hired guides to figure out his way round. Good thing too, for us and them, cause the traders never made it to the city what they were headed to. One o' the few survivors of the raid made it to the river and caught a boat down to the delta town, where we stayed and told us about the slavers that found 'em." He waves his hand as if this was a matter of course, "Story of my life really. All storms and ports, raiders and pirates. They tol' me Ol' Queen Pirate Bessy had her eye on me, so when i struck out on me own, i came on down to the Shackles, her turf, so as to make it a bit easier on myself, and look where it got me."

Valeros & GM:

Dhaaven approaches Valeros when he comes down to fetch some rope, " 'Hoy, Valeros, Thanks for the hand today. Um, thing is, I'm not really 'specting to handle the whipping that well, and what yea did with Jape..." He trots to catch up with the Gillman lugging the lines, trying to give him a hand, "Well, if yea can spare it, got any juice left i'd be most appreciative if ya might lend a hand ta help keep me up on my feet is all. Yea been workin real hard, so I figure if I'll introduce ya to some o' the more amicable crew ye'll be able ta make some more friends?"

GM you said that the attitudes would carry over once the crew viewed the party as a cohesive unit, which would take a while. If Dhaavan introduces party-members like Valeros to the ladies he's friendly with, while everyone's mulling about will the Attitudes encompass him and he can help improve attitudes for the both of them?

Can Dhaavan use his night action to influce a new NPC while making it clear that one of the other party members and he are crew? or would it take an Influence action from the party-member to collect the influence Dhaavan has earned? or would the party-member be able to influence one of the people Dhaavan has influenced to further improve their attitude? Say get Barefoot Samms the rest of the way to Helpful from the Friendly attitude he's already earned?


Dhaavan wrote:

Score! Got another one! And she's got sweet tatts!

** spoiler omitted **
Horatio, I've written your response.
** spoiler omitted **

Dhaavan with Barefoot Samms:
I'm from the Sodden Lands. These are me tribal markings. I was born a member of the Suliete Tribe. Didn't much fancy the Sodden Lands though. I wanted to be out on the open sea. No idea about any of the others if they want additional tattoos. I wouldn't want any of me tribals touched as they are sacred to my people but perhaps something on my leg. I been wantin a Kraken fer a while now but who knows. We can talk about that later though, best get back to work afore the boss man gives you another lash.

Variel Nightstorm wrote:


If you were there with Bessie we might be Ina bit more trouble. Not hat I wouldn't have wanted your help. I just think you could have handled them without the need of Bessie. As far as that kiss, well how about you planting one on me tonight when everyone can see it. Especially some of those other guys that think their the gods gift to women...

She laughs and says We'll see. But you get the impression that a fight she has no problem with but a kiss in front of others scares the crap out of her.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)
DM Immortal wrote:


Dhaavan with Barefoot Samms

Barefoot Sams:
Dhaavan nods when she says she wouldn't want her tribals messed with, "Of course. I'd never alter my clan Tat for love nor money but later o- AH HA..." He darts off, and dives somewhat comically, barely missing a rat, and shouts something at it that sounda likfe a very ugly sort of curse word at the rodent. NOdding to Samms, he continues his work.
What sort of Craft DC would it take to make a Kracken tat?

Male Gillman Oracle (Waves) 4; AC 14 (T 11, FF13) / HP: 34/34 / F +4, R +3, W +5 / Init: +1 / Percep: +0

Valeros shrugs at the thin man's words. He could tell by looking at him that Dhaavan would not take well to a ship's punishment. I've got a few more whippings coming my way tonight than you do so I can't promise that I'll be in any shape to help you out. And you still owe me from earlier, already starting to rack up more debt are ya?


Rain Taneththir wrote:


When Ratline goes back to work, Rain lifts her eyes back to the wide ocean and skies, concentrating her sight in segments of the ocean laying before her at this height. Plugg keeps me aloft while my friends are below. Is it a scheme to isolate me from the others and break our steadfastness?, these thoughts move in her mind.

Perception: 1d20+9

** spoiler omitted **

After 30 minutes have passed, Rain once again subtly motions to gain Ratline's attention, relying once more on his helpfulness. She asks quietly, "Ratline, where is the Wormwood headed? And for what purpose -- that is, what business is it carrying out in this part of the...

Aside from a peaceful moment where you spy a large pod of dolphins leaping and chasing alongside the boat and a fun moment where you see Sko almost go over the side laughing as he pulls a large sea turtle on deck, you don't see much other than that.

Ratline looks over from the knot he is working on and says Not quite sure, Rain. If I had the charts I could make a guess but the Captain keeps them locked up tight in his cabin. I suppose we'll find out when he tells us. My guess though is we are heading for the shipping lanes to see if we can't catch us a fat little merchant ship or two. he finishes with a grin before going back to work.

You are also not quite clear where you are as well. Without knowing your position but you would say you are heading north west. The Captain seems to be changing course fairly regularly but is heading in that general direction. There are a multitude of places he could be going in that direction depending upon where you all are currently.


Dhaavan wrote:

Horatio, Dhaavan responded to you. Also Dhaavan didn't take any damage in the fight, so he's s###& & span, no worries. The problem is that it is going to take 3 damage from the rope, and between 3 and 5 from the whip, so Dhaavan will take 6 to 8 non-lethal and pass-out if he takes 8 total. so he's going to pass out even if scourge rolls minimum damage. So GM that's something that is going to happen.

** spoiler omitted **

Dhaavan + Sandara:
I'll do what I can for you all but I can't make much in the way of promises. I'll make sure you don't die is the best I can do. she whispers.

Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)
Valeros Jaloksin wrote:
Valeros shrugs at the thin man's words. He could tell by looking at him that Dhaavan would not take well to a ship's punishment. I've got a few more whippings coming my way tonight than you do so I can't promise that I'll be in any shape to help you out. And you still owe me from earlier, already starting to rack up more debt are ya?

"Aye, I figured, but it don't hurt to ask. Not lookin' for more debt, but it's easier owing two to one person than have debts to two people is all," Dhaavan notes with a bit of a grin. Looks like i got myself in with someone that collects for certain. We'll see where this leads I guess. "Why you got more pain coming at you than the rest o' us? Was it that dip yea took yesterday? What was that all bout anyway?"

Sandara:
Dhaavan smiles. [b]"It's all I can really ask. 'Preciate it.


Male Gillman Oracle (Waves) 4; AC 14 (T 11, FF13) / HP: 34/34 / F +4, R +3, W +5 / Init: +1 / Percep: +0

I wasn't all that cautious with tossing the rum ration last night which has earned me a date with Scourge's whip. That plus the fighting this morning means I've got an unpleasant night ahead of me. And the swim? Valeros raises a hand, the skin already dry and cracked. Call it a skin condition due to my heritage. I have to keep myself wet daily, otherwise things go real south real quick.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)
Valeros Jaloksin wrote:
I wasn't all that cautious with tossing the rum ration last night which has earned me a date with Scourge's whip. That plus the fighting this morning means I've got an unpleasant night ahead of me. And the swim? Valeros raises a hand, the skin already dry and cracked. Call it a skin condition due to my heritage. I have to keep myself wet daily, otherwise things go real south real quick.

"Ouch. Sounds unpleasant. On both counts. Looks like this'll be a pretty bad night for all of us," Dhaaven says with a frown.


You all reach the end of your shifts, the day speeding past near the end just when you would slow it down. The dread of the lashing making the time fly by. Eventually the bell tolls and the crew is assembled.

The Captain comes onto the stern deck like he does every night to watch the punishments put forth by Plugg and Scourge. He doesn't smile or have much expression at all.

Plugg and Scourge on the other hand look delighted as they usually do when getting to inflict pain on others. Plugg pulls out a long length of rope with fat knots worked along its length while Scourge unlimbers his whip. The cat stays at Plugg's waist, apparently you haven't yet seen a crime that necessitated the cat's more firm touch.

Scourge reads out the crimes to the crew. Jape, Syl, Fipps, Maheem, Arretta, Tate, Rain, Seijiro, Variel, Sko, Horatio, Dhaavan, and Valeros, you will all receive 3 bashes with the rope for fighting with a crew member on the high seas. In addition, Rain, Seijiro, Variel, Sko, Horatio, Dhaavan, and Valeros, you will all receive three lashes for maiming a fellow crew member on the high seas. Valeros! In addition to all of that, you will receive six lashes for leaving the ship without authorization! You look at Valeros in dismay as you had hoped they would lessen the charge of lashes.

The others you fought with this morning all go up and receive their stripes with the rope. They shoot you murderous glares after covering up their welts and going to stand with the crew. When it is your turn they look on with firm smiles.

Ladies first. Plugg says with a disgusting smile and a mocking bow. Rain is taken forward and tied tight to the mast with her face pressed against it. Her shirt is pulled up and out of the way though she is still covered in the front.

Plugg pulls back and the rope slams against her back with a sickening thunk. He does it twice more before Scourge steps up and cracks his whip to limber up. Turning to Rain he flings his arm forward and a line of blood wells across Rain's back. Two more lines of blood cross her well tanned skin and after the last lash she passes out from the pain.

You each take your turn getting stripped to the waist and tied roughly to the mast and getting your stripes and lashes.

Punishment:

Under the punishment below I will put your total damage. Remember you are fully healed from this mornings fight. Also you heal 1 point on nonlethal damage per hour per level. Once you reach 0 hp you can awaken groggily but still functional with the Staggered condition and at 1hp you are in pain but otherwise able to function without issue. Some of you who pass out will awaken with enough time to perform a night action. Anyone who has -2 hp or -1 hp after the lashes can get a night action. Anyone who is below that cannot. Once past 0 hp the hp turns into lethal damage. Lethal damage is healed at a rate of 1hp per day per level. The nonlethal damage will heal first so once you are to 0 hp in any respect you will be awake. Let me know if you need further clarification on the discussion thread. The unconscious time frame is how long it takes you to heal to 0. If your total lethal damage exceeds your normal max hp, I will wipe away the nonlethal due to the fact that you require 8 hours rest to recover 1 lethal hp by which time your nonlethal will be gone.

Rain Lash Damage (1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4) +3 bashes = 14 total damage - 4 lethal (Unconscious 4 hours)

Seijiro Lash Damage all nonlethal (1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5) +3 bashes = 17 total damage - 8 lethal (At -1 HP and bleeding out)

Variel Lash Damage all nonlethal (1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5) +3 bashes = 14 total damage - 4 lethal (Unconscious 4 hours)

Sko Lash Damage all nonlethal (1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5) +3 bashes = 16 total damage - 3 lethal (unconscious 3 hours)

Horatio Lash Damage all nonlethal (1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3) +3 bashes 13 total damage - 3 lethal (unconscious 3 hours)

Dhaavan Lash Damage all nonlethal (1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4) +3 bashes = 13 total damage - 6 lethal (unconscious 6 hours)

Valeros Lash Damage all nonlethal (1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5) +3 bashes = 38 total damage - 25 Lethal (at -12 hp and bleeding out if I calculated properly)

As you are all tied, all of you pass out from the pain at some point.

You awaken in the hold, a wash of energy crawling its way over you. The feeling is akin to being surrounded in warm water.

DM Eyes Only:
2d6 ⇒ (1, 2) = 3 2d6 ⇒ (3, 5) = 8

Opening your eyes you see that you are gathered in the lower deck. Sandara is kneeling in the middle of you all and looks up as you awaken. Shhhhh! She whispers. You must pretend you are still injured tonight. It would not go well for me if it was known I helped you beyond saving your lives. With that she turns without another word and heads back up the stairs towards the main deck. As you look around you see that Valeros is still not awake but does not look as if he is in any danger of dying.

Everyone gets 11 HP back. That should put everyone aside from Valeros back to full. Valeros is at -1 currently and will wake in the morning at 0 hp.

You begin to hear the crew start to come down the stairs and guess that it is late and time for bed.

If you decide to wait for morning to talk you will have about 1 hour before you are required on deck after you wake.


M kitsune rogue (pirate)/4; bard(sea singer)/2 AC18 (T 16, FF 12); HP 43/53; saves F +2, R +12, W +4; bab: 4; melee 4(+9), ranged +9; CMB 4, CMD 20; speed 30; init +5(+7); perc +9(11)(+13)

Seijiro wakens and nods to Sandara in thanks, saying nothing to her aloud since she she shooshed everyone. To the others he whispers softly, "Is everyone else alright? How is Valeros?"

He stays down a bit longer and watches the rest of the crew come down the stairs. Instead of closing his eyes though, he merely narrows them and watches.

He has one intention and one only this evening and he carefully observes the rest of the crew that night as they come down and prepare for night.

DM:
Seijiro is watching to find out which locker belongs to Maheem. Shouldn't be hard to determine with careful observation, right? Just in case it's necessary - here's a perception check:
perception check 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


Seijiro wrote:

Seijiro wakens and nods to Sandara in thanks, saying nothing to her aloud since she she shooshed everyone. To the others he whispers softly, "Is everyone else alright? How is Valeros?"

He stays down a bit longer and watches the rest of the crew come down the stairs. Instead of closing his eyes though, he merely narrows them and watches.

He has one intention and one only this evening and he carefully observes the rest of the crew that night as they come down and prepare for night.

** spoiler omitted **

Seijiro:
Maheem's locker is near the forward part of the deck clustered with some of the others who fought with you this morning.

Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

Dhaavan glances at Sandara and gives her a smile and nod. Her secret is safe. "Thank you" he whispers to her almost silently.

He takes a look at Valeros thinking That lashing would have killed me for sure. Now i feel like an idiot for even thinking he could afford any healing. Hells below, that's brutal. looking at the marks still there after the healing that totally cured him.

He whispers, "Flynn, there anything you can do for him tonight? So as he'll be up in the morning? If he's still down, and misses call, that'll be another lashing for him, even though it's cause he's out cold. I can stay up with yea while yea do it, lend a hand?"

Heal skill:

Treat Deadly Wounds*

Note: You must expend two uses from a healer's kit to perform this task. You take a –2 penalty on your check for each use from a healer's kit that you lack.

When treating deadly wounds, you can restore hit points to a damaged creature. Treating deadly wounds restores 1 hit point per level of the creature. If you exceed the DC by 5 or more, add your Wisdom modifier (if positive) to this amount. A creature can only benefit from its deadly wounds being treated within 24 hours of being injured and never more than once per day.
Time: 1 hour.
If you use two uses of the Healer's kit, you get a +2 total bonus to your heal check. If you expend a single use, you get no bonus (the +2 from the healer's kit, and the -2 for using one use cancel each other out) No uses gives a -4 penalty. You make DC 20 you'll restore 1hp, if you make DC 25, you'll restore 2 points.

Should the good doctor agree to assist Valeros with his healing skills:

infernal:

"Jack, Keep an eye out so as the good doctor an I aren't interrupted" he whispers quietly to the bird.
Perception: keep a lookout for anyone disturbing us healing Valeros.
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16
Heal: Aid Another to add +2 to Flynn's check
1d20 ⇒ 19

[ooc]Dunno how many people can assist in medical treatment, but if two people can assist Flynn...
Dhaavan looks at Rain, asking "You want to give us a hand with this fellow? He's going to need some pretty serious help sooner rather than later. If he don't get in the water, he'll get really sick, and leaving him too long without being able to get dunked... I dunno the details, but I'm concerned is all." If Rain gets to try, and makes her DC 10 check, that's a total +4 form aid, and +2 from the med-kit, which may help.

Regardless... before the others get downstairs, Dhaavan whispers to Rain, "I got some stuff for yea in my locker. Be careful about gettin it, and you gotta promise ye'll be patient 'afore yea use it." Dhaaven looks about to make sure there's nobody newrby to overhear still, then puts a finger to his lips giving her a quiet conspiratorial "Shhhh" and grin.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

My thoughts:

I look at the probable spy among us. Although he received the most damage – it was indeed an extremely good boon that someone was on hand to heal him as quickly as they did….

But despite my suspicions I am still a doctor and will take what steps I can to aid in the healing of this individual.

Even so – I am no fool – we may even now be being watched; and if we aid the person punished, it is likely that they will try to do us some form of harm. Seeing Dhaavan’s intent to examine his surroundings – I shall attempt to assist him in what he is doing.

Perception Check to aid Dhaavan to make sure we are not being watched for the work we are doing.
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

To the GM:

As “Treat Deadly Wounds” takes an hour, if I start this procedure, how will it affect us during the doling out of “Rum Rations”? In other words, I don’t want to be half-way through it only to be interrupted for our evening meal, and have to waste the entire procedure.

The second question – as this takes 1 hour, if I attempt it – will it compromise my “nightly activities”? It really won’t matter – as I intend to do it anyway – but if you could let me know if I could do this and another “Night-time” activity – I would be very grateful. Meanwhile – I will wait to take the action until I am firmly convinced that the “Coast is clear”, as it were. Just let me know what’s what on the Heal checks via Nightly Task and Rum Rations please.Thank you!

Heal Check to “Treat Deadly Wounds” – should have a +2 for Dhaavan’s “Aid Check” if he succeeded, otherwise the bonus remains at a +9.
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

To Dhaavan:

”You were generous to help this man; it was a good gesture,” I add as I probe the slices on his back gently with my fingertips – seeking for any damage to the muscle under the skin that was magically healed.

”That was some nice work from the lady with the magical healing. I wish that I had such powers to aid people; still – I am no priest, and though I spent time in the temple, my opinions of the gods are at least generous enough to believe that they would not welcome hypocrisy.”

The work is slow going – yet I continue.

”This is not the real difficulty, though,” I add somewhat thoughtfully.

”The true challenge, as I see it – is that he must be immersed in water or he will suffer. Yet if he launches himself overboard – as he did before – he may suffer the same punishment – or worse, for it trying it a second time.”

”Something must be done to make sure that he can be helped without compromising his health consistently each day, or risking worse punishment for being caught again and again. We should bend our mind to consider how to best that difficulty.”


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

I believe that the Heal Check is successful. However, if Dhaavan is allowed to “Aid Me” in the check – than I should have a total of 25, instead of 23 for my Heal Check – which means that Valeros would get back +1 HP per level and +1 for my Wisdom Modifier – in this case, he should have a total of +2 HP back – if Dhaavan was able to formally aid me with the Heal Check. Meanwhile – if there were any stealthy pirates about – it looks like I was unable to assist in seeing them. Hopefully there was not. Even so – I would at least wait to make sure I had the full hour of interrupted time to work before starting, though. Either way – I just burned 2 uses with the kit.

To Dhaavan:

Seeing our work completed, I turn and give him a nod of my head.

”I should think that if he again informs you that you “owe him” that you can say truthfully the debt has been repaid, and with interest,” I say somewhat dryly.

So Valeros would either be at +1 HP if Dhaavan could aid me. If he could not – then he should be at 0 HP – staggered, but able to heal slowly on his own, I think - though I am not sure.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

We don't have to deal with Rum Rations tonight, cause we were unconcious.

Vlaeros also has spells left, so he can CLW himself up nicely, and then figure out what to do about getting in the water, then sleep for 8 hours, depending, so he gets his spells back. got to run, but will RP on my return to my computer

351 to 400 of 8,093 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Immortal's Blood Red Roses: A Skull & Shackles Campaign (Gameplay) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.