Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Immortal's Blood Red Roses: A Skull & Shackles Campaign

Game Master imimrtl

Current Map.


2,301 to 2,350 of 8,093 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>

Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

Huzzah - then I'm reckoning we all crossed with no incident.

Based on earlier comments by the GM - I'm also reckoning it's 12:30 in the afternoon now. I'm guessing at this rate we should reach the wooden fence at roughly (20 squares, based on best guess - total of 4 miles - average moving speed for difficult terrain at 30 feet - roughly 2 hours - roughly 2:30 or 3:00 - on average to get to the wall thing on the map).

As it's late Arodus the sun should be up until at least 8:30 PM - so we should easily be able to get to this thing, and possibly tap over to the wreck beyond by no later than 6:00 - depending on what we find at the wreck, we can head back - and maybe make a base camp a little after 8:00 PM at the walled thingy.

That said - I guess we wait for the GM's next move.


You all do manage to cross without incident. Immediately after crossing the path begins to disappear and the jungle and bog begin to overlap each other. Footing is treacherous and slow as you need to constantly be on the lookout for quicksand. You find two more "statues" in the bog. One next to a small saltwater pond in the shape of a crouching demon but the bones look human. Closer examination shows the bones were cut and carved to look like a demon with horns being placed into the human skull. The other statue is different in that the bones are not put together in the shape of a being but more like a stylized design. Various bones making concentric circles and hung in a tree. You identify 6 different types of bones from you would guess at least half a dozen individuals and animals.

The stench of rot that permeates the bog begins to get stronger as you continue on. It has taken approximately two hours to make it through what you would guess to be half to three quarters of the swamp. Following the river has helped but the thick jungle growth and lack of path has made the trek exhausting and difficult.

Since none of you have slept in close to 30 hours and during that time have battled a storm all night and been trekking through heavy swamp and jungle, I need everyone to make a DC 12 Constitution check or take 1d6 nonlethal and become fatigued. Each hour you continue, you will need to make another check at +2 DC. I'm essentially using the forced march rules as it seemed the most appropriate. I have updated approximately where you are on the map.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

To the GM:

Wow - I am very confused. You have said it has taken us 2 hours to travel less than 1 mile.

But, as I understand it, under core book movement rules our normal movement speed would be 3 miles an hour. Under "difficult terrain" our hampered speed would be reduced to (at most) 1 mile an hour. But you have us moving basically less than a mile - and it has been 2 hours?

Right now I'm wondering; does Skulls and Shackles has different speeds for "Rates and Movements" (such as Kingmaker did for overland movement) and if so, could we please see a chart for that to plan movement in the future?

If the Skull and Shackle book has details in it like that, which significantly effect our movement speed, it would help me a lot when I'm making plans if I could take a look at those rules, especially if it deviates from the book. Specifically in this case, when I used core rules - the map you gave us - the terrain difficulty - to plan something.

My point is, if the game is using its own variant on movement rules (as Kingmaker did) that's cool, but I'm trying my best with the rules, and I simply cannot understand it. If this is a variant rule, used in this Campaign, could you please let me know where I can see it? Thank you.

Con check
1d20 ⇒ 13


Horatio:
There are more variables for overland movement than just difficult terrain or not difficult terrain. The jungle you are moving through is actually more than difficult terrain and so you are moving at 1/4 speed not half speed as you are no longer on a trail and are in fact in trackless jungle. Local Movement


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)
DM Immortal wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

To GM:

Right; I already looked at that chart, and I already factored that in, but again, this doesn't make sense to me.

First - I specifically asked for us to use the river on the map, so we would have a direct and specific track to follow - on the map it runs right down into the open plains. We can't miss it, and we can't get lost; that was my plan.

But, assuming that plan fails - and we can't use the river for a track, and we are just moving forward normally at 1/4 speed, I am still confused.

The indication you made on the map is roughly 3/5 of a mile from our base starting point - with an additional 4/5 of a mile to get out right under the southern lip of the crescent of the mountains. This is a total of (roughly) 9/5 or 2 miles if we rounded up.

The core rules suggest that we move roughly 3 miles an hour. In this case - at 1/4 speed - we'd have moved a total of 3/4 of a mile in one hour - in two hours that would be a total of 1.5 miles. That would mean in a total of 2.5 hours, we'd be outside the jungle - if we wanted to get out of the jungle, as we have not slept in over 30 hours, which is a fairly important detail - as camping in a jungle, as opposed to the base of a mountain with some cover at our backs, seems safer.

If this seems petty, please remember; I am not trying to argue the rules with you, as much as I am literally trying to understand them. What I am looking at and reading says one thing - what I am seeing says something else. I don't understand this, that's why I'm asking - not to give you a hard time, but for some clarification on how these things work in the future, that's all.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

As Rain is out - I'll toss her Con check
1d20 ⇒ 19


Horatio:
You're forgetting the time it took you to climb trees and rig up ropes for people to cross the bog as well as time studying the statues you have encountered. All of that is factored into how far you have gotten. Even following the river so you don't get lost, which is why you have not had to roll survival checks, you are still having to cut through dense jungle. Where you are is accurate based on everything you all have done.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)
DM Immortal wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

GM:

Ah - but I was not forgetting those things.

You will notice I did not take the time to say, as I usually do "well, as we seem to have plenty of time - I'll "take 20" on my perception check to search the bones for loot, and make multiple knowledge checks to gather information on the symbols - and so on."

I presumed our checks were based on the party's "natural roll" via perception - as you have our stats - and to speed things up, you just decided to roll for us; posting the results.

The action for such a search is 6 seconds - so with the four bone statues - that would have taken an additional 24 seconds - 48 seconds if we added another set of Standard actions for knowledge checks to "read the bones" - but I'll generously round up for 1 minute - just to keep things reasonable. Not sure how long it takes to climb a tree specifically (as we had no height on it) - and not sure how long it would take to hitch a line on a branch - I'll be even more generous - and say that would have taken us - all told 90 extra full round actions - plus the first minute, for a total of 10 extra minutes.

However - what I am hearing is that what you have written above, despite my rules lawyering, is the way it is going to be, so I should stop pestering you, else I taste your wrath!

Further, there are no different or unusual rules for overland movement in the Skulls and Shackles book, unlike the Kingmaker game, so I don't need to examine any.

Finally, we will be going through the jungle, at our current speed and pace; I should accept it and move on, not clog the boards with all these useless debates which only push you toward to saying very soon "Game Master SMASH!".

That said - I'll say no more on this subject.

On a related subject - I promise this is not meant as some sort of Machiavellian torture/reciprocity for any games in we've played in the past together. I am truly and sincerely trying to "get it" - not bust your balls.

Knowing a little about myself, I can tell you, if the situation was reversed now - I would be ready to throw my computer through the window via all these questions about "rules vs. how I simply try to run my game realistically" if you were asking me the same things, so I can guess that my questions may be frustrating to you as well.

But I am sincerely am telling you that this is me actually trying to learn, as the majority of the group has things with the rules cold, and I have done everything I can to understand both the rules and how "campaign games" work (while I am personally more used to sandbox games, not campaign style games) and I still seem to be in the dark on many points - which is why my questions keep popping up, not to be evil - but to understand (however, privateers are generally more "understanding" - but if I was really just a pirate, I would be forced to be evil... yo ho ha ha ha!)

Okay - well, to make your day a little cheerier after all these questions - here is something that will brighten it up. A combination of "pirate AND privateer" - but I think when you see it, you'll like it:

Pirate Link

Okay - have a great day, then. And apologies for all the questions, I am just trying to learn how the game works better.

Taldor

Male Elf Magus 1 (AC: 16,13,13; HP: 13; Saves 4,3,3; Init +3, perc +3)

con check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Nonlethal 1d6 ⇒ 3
The long grind and lack of sleep starts to take hold of Variel. Although he is able to push through the fatigue and keep up with the others, he doesn't know how long he can continue. That combined with the emotional toll of the last few hours keep Variel from noticing much around him as he trudges along. Even speech has left him as he focuses his energy more on moving through the swamp.


Rolling Fort Saves to save time:

Sko 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Valeros 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Seijiro 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Dhaavan 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Valeros, with his peg leg dragging him down is having a hard time with the trek and lack of sleep. He takes 1d6 ⇒ 4 nonlethal and is fatigued as long as the damage remains.

As you continue on, the stench of rot gets more and more pronounced. Hoards of flying insects have been buzzing around you in a near constant haze as you go through the swampy water and thick foliage. It is almost another hour before you reach a clearing in the jungle canopy. Now in addition to the stench of decay and rot, an unpleasant odor of cheap perfume comes wafting through the light mist. A huge tree stands in the middle of the clearing, draped with some sort of huge tent. Lurid, painted faces cover both the tree trunk and tent, and both are decorated with rotting humanoid body parts and carpets of squirming insects.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

"Lets move back a little." Dhaavan whispers to the group in the clearing, pausing and slinking backwards as not to alert anything living in the tent.

Stepping away form the tree into the foliage, Dhaavan suggests "This could be something belonging to the Grindylow. We should approach carefully and from different angles. Those with stealth can move into a flanking positions while those without wait here for a charge. Jack can scout out the area, and I can communicate via a Message spell so we coordinate our attack if there's any of the buggers there. It gives em less time to turn on their prisoners if we surprise them."


While the party plans, Jack looks around from atop Dhaavan's head looking around for signs of movement of sneaking and slinking foes.
Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

Keeping a careful lookout, Jack will quietly tell Dhaavan, in Infernal that they've been seen and to prepare, but allow the enemy to think they have the upper-hand.


Jack Thrush:
There is whispering occurring within the tent in a language you can't understand. The voices are rasping and vile sounding but sound somewhat female.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)
Dhaavan wrote:

"Lets move back a little." Dhaavan whispers to the group in the clearing, pausing and slinking backwards as not to alert anything living in the tent.

Stepping away form the tree into the foliage, Dhaavan suggests "This could be something belonging to the Grindylow. We should approach carefully and from different angles. Those with stealth can move into a flanking positions while those without wait here for a charge. Jack can scout out the area, and I can communicate via a Message spell so we coordinate our attack if there's any of the buggers there. It gives em less time to turn on their prisoners if we surprise them."

"Dhaavan, lad - your pal Jackie boy? Can you deliver spells through him? I'm curious - is there anything out there that may be magical... We've seen enough strange totems and other dark things; I'd not be surprised if some bloody Mwangi priestess with her god's cursed Juju witch's power may be living there..."

Seeing the tent, and smelling the cheap perfume, I shake my head in disgust.

"Great... that's all we need, a Juju princess!"

Taldor

Male Elf Magus 1 (AC: 16,13,13; HP: 13; Saves 4,3,3; Init +3, perc +3)

Seeing the tent brings Variel out of his labor. Looking around, Variel asks quietly, Hey Dhaavan why don't you just call out and introduce ourselves. Well cover you but no sense causing and altercation if you can just speak nice to them.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

Giving Flynn a confused look, dhaavan says, "Nope, no idea how to do that, but i wonder if i can figure out how to channel magic through Jack. But another time."

"If this stuff has been the work of the Grindylow, I doubt there's going to be any negotiation with those beasties, but if some priestess lives here, I can see what I can do."

GM what kind of checks would we need to identify whether these markings and masks are something the Grindylow would make, or if there are other cultures that could be in the Shackles that would use this kind of decoration, like juju priests, as Flynn suggested

I just want a little more information before walking up to a scary house.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

I glance at Variel -

"Announcing our presence loudly may not be a good plan, Val."

"Never mind the rot and stench; if folk are living there now, they're either sick with some kind of fever from wallowing in those corpses, or they're likely straight out insane to be covering their house with that filth. Anyhow, the fact that the folk who used human remains to decorate this joint doesn't scream out "friendly" to me. If there's folk in there, and we announce our presence openly - they may decide to hit us with something from range; either on account of madness, or maybe caused their just pushed by simple barbarism," I respond quietly.

"Maybe it'd be better to step back into the woods and just give this place a wide berth? We can move around it, and not be the worse for wear - and with all the signs of dead folk, that place could be ripe with disease as well." I add, squinting at the place, searching it for any signs of movement, other than the flies.

GM - I'd like to cast Detect Magic on the tent - but don't know our range from it; or if we have cover. Meanwhile - seeing what we see, I plan on dropping a knee and taking some cover behind a bush or tree or something. If I'm too far for the range to be effective, I'll simply retain cover until the group decides what to do.

Taldor

Male Elf Magus 1 (AC: 16,13,13; HP: 13; Saves 4,3,3; Init +3, perc +3)

That may be fine for you to leave, but I am not until I search this place as well. Who knows if the is another mention of Shanxia here. I am not taking the chance to miss something else. I understand your concern, but if we always adopt a shoot first and talk later then everyone will be dead and we won't have found any information. It's a risk I am willing to take. If Dhaavan does not want to announce himself then I will. He just has a better flair at it than I do. The trappings may be no more than a scre tactic to protect them. Just as a rose has thorns to protect, so they try to protect themselves.


Two things jump out at you......metaphorically that is. One, this tent is sized for someone human sized, not the goblin-esque size of Grindylows. Two, the markings do not look like they are consistent with what you saw on the bones of the statues.

You are about 30' away from the edge of the tent closest to you. A big tree rises out of the middle of it with the tent draped around it. The tree is about 10' in diameter and the tent extends out another 10-15' around it.

Horatio: You do not detect any magical emanations.

DM Eyes Only:
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 17


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)
Variel Nightstorm wrote:
That may be fine for you to leave, but I am not until I search this place as well. Who knows if the is another mention of Shanxia here. I am not taking the chance to miss something else. I understand your concern, but if we always adopt a shoot first and talk later then everyone will be dead and we won't have found any information. It's a risk I am willing to take. If Dhaavan does not want to announce himself then I will. He just has a better flair at it than I do. The trappings may be no more than a scre tactic to protect them. Just as a rose has thorns to protect, so they try to protect themselves.

I shrug at Variel's determination.

"Alright then - go to it. I won't stop you; but - seeing as how you're looking to be pacific - maybe you could leave your bow with Rain - or any who can use it - we can hang back here - and if things go south - you got some cover fire. And if you're fine with stepping up and seeing who's there - well... Like I said - I won't stop you."

Guessing that Variel's determination to find details on his past will encourage him to move forward in any case - and knowing that walking forward with arms may not be a good plan, if there are folk there - I'll wait in the trees with cover.

One person advancing slowly and no weapons out or ready is much less likely to cause a stir than all of us. So - realizing that Variel intends to go forward, I wait - hoping he'll give up his ranged weapon for someone in the party to use for backup, if he needs it.

Meanwhile - if something bad does happen - I don't intend to use my "special ammo" when there's a chance it could effect Variel. So I'll take a few seconds to "switch rounds" - so that there is no problem.

For now I'll be hanging back to offer cover fire - and have Rain NPC'd doing the same, if she is given the bow. Otherwise, I'll have her hide. I don't trust the place that smells of death and disease - and in any case, why tip our hand on our numbers. I don't know who will go with Variel, though. But I guess I'll find out.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

"Don't know who's here, but I'll go greet the resident. If yea got weapons, I'd appreciate if you're ready to move in if she's hostile. Whoever's got ranged weapons have em ready, and if a couple of the more quiet of us can move up so I'm not out there all my my lonesome, I'd appreciate it."

I'd at least like to wait till Jiro and anybody else with some decent stealth is in position, and we've heard from a couple other party-members regarding how to deal with this tent-dweller.


M kitsune rogue (pirate)/4; bard(sea singer)/2 AC18 (T 16, FF 12); HP 43/53; saves F +2, R +12, W +4; bab: 4; melee 4(+9), ranged +9; CMB 4, CMD 20; speed 30; init +5(+7); perc +9(11)(+13)

where do you want Seijiro to sneak up TO exactly? technically he could try to sneak all the way up to the tent, it's not like it has windows or anything.

stealth for wherever you want Seijiro to be: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

If jiro and any others just move close, not all the way behind the tent, but around the sides, if there is a fight, Dhaavan's in front, and the rest of the group if behind him, with any stealthed team-members able to move in from the sides.

"Alright then, lets move around to around the front and approach the entrance, that way we are closer to the door."

Dhaavan wants to sneak around from the 30ft away, so we are not directly in front of an entrance to the tent, but we can see it from out vantage point. Then Jiro can move to the other side of the door, Dhaavan approach from the front. How's that sound?
stealth: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

Jack scouts a little bit, taking a look around, flitting through the trees and looking in from the leaves at what's in the entrance to the tent, and the lovelie ladies residing within... =/
stealth: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (6) + 18 = 24
perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


The tent flaps are closed so you will need to open them to look inside.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)
DM Immortal wrote:
The tent flaps are closed so you will need to open them to look inside.

Right - so... Million dollar questions:

What is going on with Valero/Sko? Are they going to be NPC'd, or what?

And - can we get an overhead map, if one is possible? Or are we freaking out over nothing?

Finally - I am currently at the ready - but I'm not entirely sure where until I see a map, if there is anything going down. Currently I'm behind a tree with Rain, for now. Hopefully she has Variel's bow, if not, she is merely readying herself - about ten feet from me, if she needs to be.

I guess we'll see what happens next.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

Well, I'm going to have to take the kids to their swim lesson soon, so I'll toss up Dhaavan's action now cause i don't want folks to have to wait on me and i won't have my computer for a while

I'd say only the heavies should be behind the tree cause they can't stealth, but they can rush in around the tree and get behind any enemies that come out of the tent. Dhaavan directs Jiro to the farthest point from our location where he can see the door, so he is the only one who moves a long way around the tent, and can flank from the side. Ranged fighters would be well suited to be at the closest point to our durrent location in case whatever comes out is a threat, in which case they can ready shots to fire at whatever comes out if they get a signal from Dhaavan via message. DHaavan approaches from the fromt, covering the movement of others by not being stealthy, so it sounds like one clumsy fellow approaching. He has his potion of invisibility on hand so he can drink it and move if need be.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32
Dhaavan comes out of the trees, saying "Hoy, in there. Sorry to come on yer land like this, we're moving on shortly but need some information."

Aquan:
"If yea didn't understand that, how's this tongue. We don't want trouble just information"

Infernal:
"We come for information not a fight, and will move on, but wanted to approach since we stumbled upon this place."

Ignan:
"Doubt this means anything to yea but if you know this tongue there's that"

His hand is up in a gesture of peace but his body is tensed for a fight if the residents decide to bring one on. He is non-threatening, but not helpless...


A feminine voice comes out of the tent. Welcome traveler to our boudoir. We shall attend your every need and that of your companions. Please, enter and refresh yourselves.

Map for you.

Let me know where you want to be but don't move anything. I will move them.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

Any way we can get coordinates? As it stands, it's kind of hard to show you - also - as it is, we're practically adjacent to it. I wasn't planning on moving 20 feet from the entrance at this time.

For now I guess I'd be at least 20 feet behind Dhaavan, but likely more. That kind of puts me off the map - also - I would have preferred to be in angle when he isn't in front of me - so, basically - leave me where I am, I suppose; but if I could be 10 feet further back from the tree, I probably would have been.

If Variel gave Rain his bow - she would be ten feet to the right of me.

If he did not give her his bow - she would be where she is now, I guess. But again, I would have assumed we both would have been 10 feet farther back.

I kind of figured that there was kind of a gap between the treeline and this tree, that's all.

Current actions...

I draw my pistol out slowly and take a bead on the place - seems a little odd that people would be attending to my needs in a swamp on a deserted island decorated with bone totems surrounded by reefs and a deserted village and dead things...

Rain will ready her bow - but does not specifically level it quite yet. She is still wary, but more disgusted at the idea of a brothel - and even more disturbed at what type of creature would get "serviced" by such folk in a swamp.

Meanwhile - we're waiting...


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

Dhaavan's directly in front of the entrance, at the treeline, not moving up yet.

He'll reply, "Thank you for your offer of hospitality. May I ask who you are that you live on this island here and have such particular aesthetic sensabilities. Is the carving and statues around the island your handywork?" His tone is carefully and diliberately complamentary as an artist, and student of ritual and spellwork. Yet he steps forward only a little, still in the square just out of the treeline

I'm assuming the tent is in a clearing, but I can't see the map right now on my phone so I can't exactly tell. Don't want to be right at the door.

He beacons fot the others and whispers via a message spell to Flynn and Rain

aquan:
"can you get someone to pull the flap back from behind the door so Jack and I can see in?"

He also uses Detect magic to look for auras of various spells, watching for illusion and transmutation in particular, in case od disguise or alter self spells in particular

Taldor

Male Elf Magus 1 (AC: 16,13,13; HP: 13; Saves 4,3,3; Init +3, perc +3)

At parents anniversary. So quick post.

VAriel would hand the bow to whomever can use it as he would be next to Dhaavan since he asked Dhaavan to approach. No weapons out and remaining silent and letting Dhaavan do the talking. If Dhaavan enters so will Variel.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)
Dhaavan wrote:

Dhaavan's directly in front of the entrance, at the treeline, not moving up yet.

He'll reply, "Thank you for your offer of hospitality. May I ask who you are that you live on this island here and have such particular aesthetic sensabilities. Is the carving and statues around the island your handywork?" His tone is carefully and diliberately complamentary as an artist, and student of ritual and spellwork. Yet he steps forward only a little, still in the square just out of the treeline

I'm assuming the tent is in a clearing, but I can't see the map right now on my phone so I can't exactly tell. Don't want to be right at the door.

He beacons fot the others and whispers via a message spell to Flynn and Rain
** spoiler omitted **

He also uses Detect magic to look for auras of various spells, watching for illusion and transmutation in particular, in case od disguise or alter self spells in particular

In Infernal:

"Gods damn it, lad - get the hell away from that creep show and get your ass back here! This is Val's caper - he's got the edge with his swords, you're supposed to be backing his move, not leading the bloody charge! Now fall fall back a step - try getting a spell prepped or something!"

"Val wants to see if they got any news on that elven thing, so he's on point here, not you! And stop with the bloody Aquan - if these whore's are related to Grindy's they may know the lingo, eh?"

I add with a growl via the message spell.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)
Variel Nightstorm wrote:

At parents anniversary. So quick post.

VAriel would hand the bow to whomever can use it as he would be next to Dhaavan since he asked Dhaavan to approach. No weapons out and remaining silent and letting Dhaavan do the talking. If Dhaavan enters so will Variel.

Sweet - at that news, Variel - Rain will knock an arrow and ready the bow... She doesn't trust this place, and Horatio's tone has made her extremely edgy. She moves a little away from him (maintaining her "technical" position), uncomfortable around the tone and temper, though she cannot understand his language.


Again, no magical auras.

The voice laughs, a bit raspy this time though We are just shipwrecked women who have tried to make a home here. As for those statues, no those are not our work. The Grindylows put them up. Now do you wish to come in and have your questions answered?


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

Right...

Disgusted at the lack of action, I move forward both slowly and cautiously - I am now right next to Dhaavan; my pistol is out and ready.

Dropping a knee to minimize my height or size, I raise and level my pistol at the entrance -

Then I cast "Mage Hand" at the tent flap and twitch it aside to see what's in there.

I should be in range, if I'm right next to Dhaavan, and a flap of cloth should be less than five pounds. If there is a witch in there, I am sincerely hoping that my action will prep me from any attack she may try to pull... If it's nothing but a bunch of strumpet's pulling my chain, they're about to get a rude awakening in not decorating their place with a bunch of bloody bones.

FYI - I can't move my character on the map, and there is no grid at this time. Can either of those things be adjusted?

My eyes narrow, waiting for what may happen next.

Alright you whore, let's dance...


You twitch the flap aside and the interior is quite dark. It is difficult to see but you do barely make out two silhouettes against the canvas of the rear wall of the tent, sitting at a small table. You cannot see their features but you would guess they are wearing dresses and wide brimmed hats like the kind you would see on a woman taking a stroll along the beach. You aren't sure but you think the hats have veils also. Again it is hard to see.


When the flap moves they slowly stand up and beckon you in.


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

When the tent flap open via Mage-hand dhaavan observes what's inside ready to react. He let's Variel take point in terms of walking, but will continue to do the talking.

How many are there and what do they look like?

what dhaavan asks if thay aren't threats:
he'll lounge at the door and that's about as close as he'll get, heading Flynn's warning, and trying to give him a shot inside if he can. One hand in his large coat pocket holding the potion, ready to drink and asks "Well, we've had a couple friends taken by the Grindylows and want 'em back, so we need ta know where they are, for one thing. Also my mate here found a ring wit' the word Shanxia on it, same as a blade what we found, so if ya know anythin bout what that means, then we'd appreciate enlightenment."

"Is there anything you'll be asking in return? A price for your information, so we knows the cost be?" he inquires as well before they tell him anything.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

I let out a disgusted sigh at this dancing around business. I reach into my pocket and pull out a silver piece with my free hand.

I cast “light” on it – then I flick it into the opening of the tent onto the table they're sitting around.

”It’s good coin – you want more – why don’t you just get off your ass and come out here and say hello proper like – and maybe you ought step slow, eh? It’s been a pox-mucked basterd of a day – we’re tired and pissed – and we don’t have time for any gods’ cursed games.”

My hand is still holding my pistol, and I'm still looking at the tent - I don't like the stench of the rot and disease. I haven't slept in nearly 34 hours - I'm tired, I'm hungry, and I'm sick of the poxing heat on this whoreson island, as well as the fact that I got mates that are likely in hot soup - and if it was up to me, we'd have walked around this nonsense and pushed on to find them.

But we're here - and I got no reason to play any more games. If there was a dance to do, then at this point I just assume we either throw down rather than blab.

Meanwhile – I guess I’ll toss up a “perception roll” once the lighted silver piece hits the table.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Human Fey Tattooed Sorcerer 1 (HP: 7, AC:13 /F:1,R:3,W:4/ Init. +3 / Perc. +6/+8)(Jack's Perc: +13/+15)

Dhaavan's expression solidifys into a polite smile, still lounging, he says, "No need to be hostile or antagonistic, Horatio. These ladies are offering us assistance and hospitality. I appologize for my dear companion, he's tired and rather cynical. The decorations here are rather off-putting, understandably so with Grindylow neighbors to keep at bay."
diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32 to keep them from acting violently to the threatening gesture.

"Take it easy Flynn. You almost sound like a highwayman or a pirate tellin these ladies to 'come out slow' and brandishing that hand-cannon of yers like ya were gonna rob-em, which we ain't" dhaavan says to flynn turning to the women for that last assurance

Damn, iwe neet these folks friendly to get some information, hopefully this don't go too sideways before we get anything useful


Male Gillman Oracle (Waves) 4; AC 14 (T 11, FF13) / HP: 34/34 / F +4, R +3, W +5 / Init: +1 / Percep: +0

Immortal, I don't know if you just put my icon off to the side as a place holder but I'm actually fine with it there.

Valeros watched as Flynn yelled into the tent at whoever was inside. Charming as ever. The man's tact is as rough as ever but he's right to play it safe in this instance.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

The light spell glowing a cold light hot from the coin on the table, and the flap moved aside with Mage Hand.

"You can be all the polite you want to boy, just do it outside!" I growl back - than add...

In Infernal:

"What the hell's the matter with your bloody wits! Even if these folk are as nice as peaches and cream - don't you see the signs? They're swarming with files - they reek of death - and the stench of rot's on 'em high!"

"Now I don't give a good gods' damn how wonderful they are - but if they got the pox, more'n likely as they're whores - or even worse - malaria, the "black death" or any other type of jungle rot... damn it; you get the plague on you for palling around the door and we're all dead!"

"Now get your ass back here - that's a bloody tight, enclosed area with no air moving through it - it's likely filled with disease - and if you breathe it in, and it starts to make your lungs fill with blood or your skin turn black like any with that plague, then there ain't nothing I can do to save your ass."

"So get back into the fresh air and away from the stench of those rotting totems that are on the tent, and god knows what else they're breathing in and out!" I yell, more angry that I have to waste more gods damned time with all this pox-mucked, lovely "chit-chat" when whatever is in there is sitting in what is likely to be a host of bacteria and other diseases!

I've warned them enough on that hash... If they keep wasting time breathing in the rot...

Gods help us all!

Meanwhile - we have friends to save, not whores to bed!


As you flick the lighted coin into the tent the two "women" shriek and fling themselves at you all, their hats falling away and revealing rotting faces and long thick tongues.

Initiative:
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Average: 19

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
1d20 ⇒ 6
1d20 ⇒ 11

Average: 13.5

No surprise round due to how careful you all were, just normal initiative.


The two ghoul whores charge out and attack, one biting Dhaavan and one biting Horatio.

Whore 1 on Dhaavan 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
+ Fort Save vs disease 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
+ fort save vs paralysis 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Whore 2 on Horatio 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
+ Fort Save vs disease 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
+ fort save vs paralysis 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

whew were you two lucky at no paralysis lol.


You all's turn.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)

I believe Rain's "readied action" should have beat their initiative, as she would have fired at them the minute they ran out of the door.

If that is not going to happen - that is fine; but there was a reason she had her action readied.

Rain takes her shot with the bow at this time; but before she does - she uses "Freebooters Bane" on the creature closet to her.

"Look out - they're attacking! Kill that thing quickly," she yells out at the creature closest to her.

Attack on the one on the right with the short bow
1d20 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 16

IF it hits
1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Again, I still have no way to move my character, nor can I give you coordinates to where he would move. This complicates things a lot - is there anything that can be done to fix this?

In any case - Horatio will take a five foot step back and fire his pistol at them.

He uses a Swift Action to tap up Archeologist's Luck

Attack with pistol
1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 1 = 17

If it hits -
1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 1 = 6

After Horatio shoots, he draws his shortsword as a "free action".


Just tell me where you want to move. Like Seijiro did, just say 4 squares up and two left or something like that and I will move you.

Rain's shot hits and lodges in the creatures shoulder and Horatio's shot hits as well, blowing a hole through it's belly.

The drawing a weapon is fine for now but after the battle I need to clarify how that works with a five foot step.


Male Human Gunslinger 1 (Buccaneer), Fighter 1 (Lore Warden), Bard 4 (Archaeologist) - (AC 18 / HP 49 / F +6, R + 9, W +6 / Ini + 3 / Perc. +12)
DM Immortal wrote:

Just tell me where you want to move. Like Seijiro did, just say 4 squares up and two left or something like that and I will move you.

Rain's shot hits and lodges in the creatures shoulder and Horatio's shot hits as well, blowing a hole through it's belly.

The drawing a weapon is fine for now but after the battle I need to clarify how that works with a five foot step.

Good times about the hits - I thought "Five Foot Step" was classified as "no action" for time. If we can't move our characters, can we at least get a grid/coordinates? Also - is there any way we can get a chance to keep track of HP for our party members like before? This new sheet won't allow us to keep track of HP, movement, or anything else, so it's hard to know who has what, or how they are doing; an especially tricky point in PBP - as some people may not post until tomorrow; and they may have missed what happened.

By "blowing a hole through it's belly - did that drop it, or wast that poetic?

Finally - I am currently at the grid below where I was in a strait line one 5 foot step to the south.

Also - given circumstances - Rain may move up to help her comrades next round - unfortunately, her current position prevents me from doing an accurate movement count. Can that be fixed also? Thank you for all your help with this, and I appreciate your efforts with this. Thanks!


Male Gillman Oracle (Waves) 4; AC 14 (T 11, FF13) / HP: 34/34 / F +4, R +3, W +5 / Init: +1 / Percep: +0

Seeing the "women" charge his companions, Valeros rushed forward. Raising his blackened hands, flames flickered across his fingertips before a sheet of fire roared out over the ghouls.

Can't quite gauge things on the map but I think I can move and cast to get them.
Move action to get closer, then cast burning hands on the ghouls. Looked at the template and I should be able to get them without hitting the others.
Burning Hands, DC 14 Ref for half: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5 fire damage

If I'm unable to get close enough, then I'll single move to get closer and then cast Shield of Faith on myself.

Taldor

Male Elf Magus 1 (AC: 16,13,13; HP: 13; Saves 4,3,3; Init +3, perc +3)

Wow leave the boards for an evening and the flip of a coin starts a fight, literally.
info on drawing weapons and actions.

Being rushed by the woman from the tent Variel is taken by surprise at their actions. Quickly coming back to his senses, Even though they were trying to get information and Dhaavan did his best to be calm the fight still broke out. Variel draws his cutlass as he moves (5ft step) beside the woman and swings at the woman in front of him. Variel hopes to down the one quickly so the better manipulate the situation with the other. Pausing only momentarily to imbue his weapon the cutlass slices downwards but the fatigue of the long day throws his aim off and he misses.
Attack 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Human Druid (Shark shaman) 2, Barbarian (Beast Totem) 1/AC: 13/HP: 30/F +7, R +0, W +6/Init. +0/Per. +7

Sko hurries out as the ghouls burst forth. He'll double move (his speed is 35' due to his Fleet trait) and he should be able to make it to the square that's in the column of the "O" in Whore and the row above where the ghouls currently are.

2,301 to 2,350 of 8,093 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Immortal's Blood Red Roses: A Skull & Shackles Campaign (Gameplay) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.