Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Harpwizard’s Heroes of Elsir Vale

Game Master GM Harpwizard

Elsir Vale
City of Brindol


201 to 250 of 10,357 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

Bofus comes down to breakfast with the rest. He's dressed down--no backpack, no rapier, just a dagger and whatever is in his pouches/pockets. He stays uncustomarily quiet during breakfast, still distracted by the quandry he's in. As he's finishing up, he takes out his packet of Thieve's tools for inspection. He looks around to see if anyone besides his new friends are watching . . .

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 WHOA! Hope I get a few more of THOSE when they count!!

. . . and if not, he quietly says to Mantooth without looking up

I'll take it now if you please, my fine friend, and many thanks.
I'll assume Mantooth complies and hands the key over

He swiftly packs the key in with his other tools, wraps up the packet, and tucks it in to his breast pocket. He checks to insure he's got all three important letters--his own, and both of Rotskill's.

As they walk to the event, Bofus addresses his friends as privately as possible.

I'm still VERY bothered by the sabotage--espeically the poison. I don't want anyone to get hurt. I think what I'm going to try to do is talk to the Magistrate, but not give too many details; I want him to know that *I* know what's going on. I also don't want anyone else implicated, so I won't mention any of you unless I really *really* think I need to. Anyway, I think then I'll try to get at least one other judge present, and give my story on the sabotage of the Gauntlet. Anyone think this is a bad idea, or have a different plan? Uh, think about that for a sec--I've got a question for the Captain.

Bofus goes closer to the Captain, and asks him
Sir--can you tell me who actually presides over the Tournament? Who are the judges, arbitrators, rule interpreters, that sort of thing?


Female Half-Elf Wizard/2

Rewind, roll for noticing the magistrate earlier during registration:
Perception:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


Male Human Paladin 9 (HP:68/102, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +6 Reflex, +11 Will)
Bofus Beerswizzler wrote:


I I think what I'm going to try to do is talk to the Magistrate, but not give too many details; I want him to know that *I* know what's going on.

Thordak son of Throtgar wrote:

Ey! Mantooth, what's goin' on up there?

Mantooth greeted both of his diminutive fellow competitors once they had both arrived to the registration tent. Matching Bofus's private tone, Mantooth gestured subtly to the back of the tent. I'm not sure if either of you noticed, but the Magistrate is right over there. Perhaps he will be willing to help us.

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
Mantooth Longbrow wrote:
Mantooth greeted both of his diminutive fellow competitors once they had both arrived to the registration tent. Matching Bofus's private tone, Mantooth gestured subtly to the back of the tent. I'm not sure if either of you noticed, but the Magistrate is right over there. Perhaps he will be willing to help us.

Let me clarify. Since game time had passed and posts were made before I made my first of the day, I combined a few different time frames in one post. First, during breakfast, bofus asked Mantooth for the key. Second, while they were walking over to the event, he asks about "other ideas" and asks the Captain about the officiating of the Tournament.

finally, I forgot to make the perception check:
Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 holy crap!!

yeah, I guess I see him, and can probably read over his shoulder from here!

one more thing: DM, I think it's likely that Bofus will be having at least one private conversation, perhaps more. I'm perfectly OK with NOT having those conversatiosn under spoilers; even though th other folks won't hear it, I'm cool with them reading them. If you're OK with that, I'll skip the spoiler tags, OK?


Male Human 2

Matthias entered the fairgrounds looking around at the crowd of people.
Perception Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
When it was his turn he handed over 5 P.P. from his belt pouch and his letter of sponsorship before searching out Thordak. For the moment he tries to push the letters from his mind, the chilling reality that Humphrey could be in the ownership of the Kaal's by the end of the day was unsettling to say the least.

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
Matthias Teskerwill wrote:

Matthias entered the fairgrounds looking around at the crowd of people.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 3
When it was his turn he handed over 5 P.P. from his belt pouch and his letter of sponsorship before searching out Thordak. For the moment he tries to push the letters from his mind, the chilling reality that Humphrey could be in the ownership of the Kaal's by the end of the day was unsettling to say the least.

please check the ooc board

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

As they approach the registration table, Bofus quietly addresses his friends.

Folks, I'm going to have a go at the Magistrate. I won't talk about anyone else here unless it's absolutley necessary, so my advice is for you all to just go about you business. If anything happens to me . . . it's been fun, and you're all great! Best of luck!

At the table, Bofus takes out his own letter of recommendation, and Rotskill's. He hands his, and his fee, to the official.

Mornin' sir! Bofus Beechnut here to win the Gauntlet of Traps! Here's my fee. Oh, and I have this too. **Bofus makes sure his voice will carry to the Magistrate--he'll turn, or if necessary, even jump up and sit on the table if he's too short!** If you see a tatoo-faced Varisian with no letter, I found this. Seems his name is Rotskill. Woulnd't want to deprive someone of their fair competition, now would I? **Assuming those theatrics got the Magistrate's attention, Bofus addresses him directly from where he's sitting/standing. He waves with one hand, and pulls out a corner of Rotskill's other letter, intended for the Magistrate's eyes only, with the other.** Mornin' Magistrate! I hope your son and his fine family are well!

Bluff (Secret Message to Magistrate: "we need to talk--NOW") DC=15 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Depending on the Magistrate's reaction to either the statement, or the failed message attempt, Bofus will try to get back there to talk to him. I'll duck under the table if necessary.


Dungeon Master
Bofus wrote:
"If you see a tatoo-faced Varisian with no letter, I found this. Seems his name is Rotskill. Woulnd't want to deprive someone of their fair competition, now would I?"

The Magistrate hears your comment about Rotskill's letters and quickly waves the other official aside and says, "Harmon, I'll take over. Go ahead and take a short break. Then, addressing Bofus, he says, "I'll take those letters for you, my fine halfling. Are you all set now for your competition?" He appears slightly panicked and he does not understand or even realize that you are trying to nonverbally communicate with him.

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
DM Harpwizard wrote:
Bofus wrote:
"If you see a tatoo-faced Varisian with no letter, I found this. Seems his name is Rotskill. Woulnd't want to deprive someone of their fair competition, now would I?"

The Magistrate hears your comment about Rotskill's letters and quickly waves the other official aside and says, "Harmon, I'll take over. Go ahead and take a short break. Then, addressing Bofus, he says, "I'll take those letters for you, my fine halfling. Are you all set now for your competition?" He appears slightly panicked and he does not understand or even realize that you are trying to nonverbally communicate with him.

Bofus does NOT hand over the letter.

**in a low voice**
No. I am *not* set for the competition. I fear for my own life and the lives of all the other competitors in the Gauntlet. Let me speak to you in private so as not to cause a panic and an embarassment to these games.

My posting might be a little light this weekend. Feel free to have folks do their events without me--DM, please check email though


Dungeon Master
Bofus wrote:
No. I am *not* set for the competition. I fear for my own life and the lives of all the other competitors in the Gauntlet. Let me speak to you in private so as not to cause a panic and an embarassment to these games.

Let me guess what this is about...Rotskill. I should have known this would get out of control. I have been fighting this battle on my own way too long. Your right, my young halfling, we need to talk, but I cannot right now. This is not the time nor the place. The first event of the tournament is about to begin and I need to get myself over to the arena to help the other officials. Let us meet later today. We still have some time; the Gauntlet will not happen until late this afternoon. Let's plan on meeting after the Archery Event. There is a guard station on the eastern gate that we can meet at. It is quiet, private and that gate is not used that often. Bring anybody you know that you can trust. In the meantime, pass me the letters and I will keep them safe. I will see you in a little while. Good bye for now.


Dungeon Master
Cebrë wrote:

Cebrë delivers her papers and the 50GP follows instructions to the competition area. A hand carved quarter-staff is slung across her back (along with a backpack) but nothing is in her hands. When she finds a suitable spot she sits crossed-legged on the ground and plays a tune on her flute for the enjoyment of the spectators.

Performance: 1d20 + 8 &#8658; (20) + 8 = 28

Cebrë, you sure know how to roll those dice for perform!

A few people walking by stop and listen, but as you continue playing, the crowd grows larger and larger until a huge gathering surrounds you. Although you are aware of the growing numbers, you do not let it distract you from your focussed concentration. As a result, your music carries the crowd on an emotional ride sending chills down their spines and tears of joy to their eyes. The silent crowd stares with abated breath not daring to interrupt this amazing experience in time. When alas you finish your piece, the crowd erupts in a tumultuous roar of approval. Smiling faces greet you and several people throw coins to your feet. You are aglow with exhilaration and cannot begin to hear the the many people singing your praises.

"My lady, you are phenomenonal."

"Where do you come from?

"My grandmother use to play the lute."

"That piece was simply amazing!"

"I love that passage with the quick ascending line of notes!"

"You should give a performances at Vellorian's!

"I never knew a flute could sound like that."

You later count out 34 s.p. and 3 g.p.

Mantooth wrote:
In a lower voice, Mantooth leaned in "Surely, good sir, with all these people in attendance paying admittance, a fee on 25 gp would be more reasonable for the people responsible for giving the show today? "

Harmon, the official at the tent replies, "This fee may seem like a small treasure hoard, but I assure you, sir, this money will barely cover our expenses. You must realize that we have a huge prize fund for the winners of each event."

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
DM Harpwizard wrote:
Let me guess what this is about...Rotskill. I should have known this would get out of control. I have been fighting this battle on my own way too long. Your right, my young halfling, we need to talk, but I cannot right now. This is not the time nor the place. The first event of the tournament is about to begin and I need to get myself over to the arena to help the other officials. Let us meet later today. We still have some time; the Gauntlet will not happen until late this afternoon. Let's plan on meeting after the Archery Event. There is a guard station on the eastern gate that we can meet at. It is quiet, private and that gate is not used that often. Bring anybody you know that you can trust. In the meantime, pass me the letters and I will keep them safe. I will see you in a little while. Good bye for now.

At "I should have known . . ." Bofus relaxes some and smiles. At "Bring anybody you know you can trust (to the meeting)," Bofus positively beams. At "Pass me the letters and I will keep them safe," his eyes narrow in suspicion. Damn, I thought this was too good to be true . . . is he sincere, or snowing me?

Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Hmmm . . . a good check, but this *is* a town official. He may be a very skilled bluffer. I'll give one of two answers, depending on how Bofus reads him.

He's Bluffing:Mmmmmm . . . I'm all for this plan, except for one thing. I'd feel muuuuuuch more comfortable handing these letters over in front of witnesses--no offense, Sir, but I honestly don't know you from Rovagug. I'll hand them to you at the Eastern gate after Archery is over, when my friends witness this transfer. Agreed?? Bofus is staying out of arm's reach, NOT shaking hands or anything.

He's NOT bluffing:Bofus hesitates while his hand dips under his waistcoat, looking in the Magistrate's eyes. In a suspicious drawl he says Oooooookaaaaayyyy . . . it goes against my better judgement, but . .. he hands both of Rotskills' letters over I'm taking a huge risk handing these to you, so let it be known, sir, that I still have some proof of sabotage, so while I believe you're telling the truth, I know better than to be SURE you're not just covering your tuckass! Others have read those letters and know as much as I do, so I promise you, this is not just going away when I walk out of this tent. I--WE--will see you after Archery. Thanks for your time.


Dungeon Master

@ All Characters upon registering. The Schedule of Events for the day are as follows:

10 o'clock: The Arrow and Bolt of the Vale (at the Arena)

12 o'clock: The Grand Steeple Chase (at the North Down's Track)

2 o'clock: The Combat of Champions (at the Arena)

4 o'clock: The Arcane Challenge (at Summoner's Field)

6 o'clock: The Gauntlet (at Rogue's Field)

@ Bofus. You do not sense that Magistrate Strickland is bluffing. He is clearly upset by this matter, but you do not think he is trying to "snowball" you. This matter does appear to be taking a toll on him. However, I need you to make your own judgement. This choice may make a difference later on. Please decide whether or not to give him the letters.

@ Thordak. You arrive at the grounds of the arena and there are about ten competitors already on the field practicing shots on a row of targets. Some people are off to the side waxing their bows and some are checking the mechanisms on their crossbows. Most competitors seem nervous as they try to deal with the pressure of competition. However, one half elf wearing a green cloak that you recognize from the Stone Wyvern seems completely relaxed and quiet as he sits on a bench reading a book.


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:
@ Thordak. You arrive at the grounds of the arena and there are about ten competitors already on the field practicing shots on a row of targets. Some people are off to the side waxing their bows and some are checking the mechanisms on their crossbows. Most competitors seem nervous as they try to deal with the pressure of competition. However, one half elf wearing a green cloak that you recognize from the Stone Wyvern seems completely relaxed and quiet as he sits on a bench reading a book.

Thordak is surprised to see the great number of nancies. Even though the fellow is an elf, and could never grow a beard, Thordak decides to introduce himself. He seems like the only other competitor with any sort of gall at all. He walks over an introduces himself.

Well met, Elf. Oi believe Oi recognize you from Master Yab's place? The Name's Thordak, son of Throtgar. Thordak says, extending his hand.

Perception check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

What's the book? Anything else going on in the arena/stands?


Dungeon Master

"Greetings, Master Thordak." The half elf stands and offers you a handshake. I am Atwood Legmar. I come from the Westdeep. Do I understand that I will have the honor of testing my prowess with a bow against a fine opponent such as yourself?

You are able to read the title of the book as The Way of Irori and the Art of Self Perfection. The stands are starting to fill up with quite an excited crowd, but nothing seems out of the ordinary.


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:

"Greetings, Master Thordak." The half elf stands and offers you a handshake. I am Atwood Legmar. I come from the Westdeep. Do I understand that I will have the honor of testing my prowess with a bow against a fine opponent such as yourself?

You are able to read the title of the book as The Way of Irori and the Art of Self Perfection. The stands are starting to fill up with quite an excited crowd, but nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Thordak accepts the compliments graciously. Yessir. But the others look to be a peck of pansies for the most part! Hrarah! Well Oi'm glad Oi've got at least one good competitor to go up against! Oi've never been to the Westdeep, how is't? Oi know it lies on the Dwarfroad, perhaps we'll do trade at some point. Thordak says, using his memory of geography class in Dwarfdergarten.


Dungeon Master

"The Westwood is an untamed place of great natural beauty, but I would warn against travelling through there unprepared. . ."

The half elf is interrupted by the sound of a great bell ringing. A herald calls out. "Welcome travelers from near and afar. We are now prepared to begin the Elisr Vale Tournament of Heroes. Could we please have all competitors in the Arrow and Bolt competition proceed to the line for the start of the event.

Thordak, please plan on a crossbow shot at 150 feet away. This is in your second range increment which will give you a -2 on your attack.

You count about fifteen competitors once they all line up. There are fifteen targets laid out across the field. The herald steps to the side holding up a red flag. Many of the nervous archers and crossbowman fumble with their weapons. One half elf stands there holding his bow, the sight of grace and elegance. One half orc with a crossbow accidently fires prematurely and hits a fence post not far from the herald. A judge comes running out and gives him a stern reprimand. Watch what you are doing you big oaf! Somebody could get hurt if you are not careful!

A moment later as competitors step up to the line and the judge calls out. Ready your shot. . . Aim . . . . Fire at will!

The arrow and bolts fly in an impressive sight. Most shots missed, but the following few were notable.

Atwood Legmar First Shot 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Durbag's First Shot 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (11) - 3 = 8


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:

A moment later as competitors step up to the line and the judge calls out. Ready your shot. . . Aim . . . . Fire at will!

The arrow and bolts fly in an impressive sight.

Atwood Legmar First Shot 1d20 +3

Durbag's First Shot 1d20-3

Thordak takes careful aim and...shoots!

Thordak's first shot: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Thordak loads another bolt in his crossbow...

So my +2 Dexterity modifier is negated by the -2 range penalty? Also how many shots do I take?


Dungeon Master

@Thordak. You are correct that Dex and Range cancel each other, but don't forget your +1 BAB. You are +1 total. You will take three shots. More if we have a tie.

Rules for Archery:

The archery contest uses the standard to hit rules. Treat the target as if it has three regions of different Armor Class. Each contestant may fire three arrows or bolts from 150 feet away. Hit rolls that hit AC 10 strike the target in the outer ring. Hit rolls that hit AC 15 strike the target in the second ring. Hit rolls that hit AC 20 or better strike the target directly in the center. For purposes of scoring, count misses as zero points, hits to the outer ring as one point, the next inner ring as two points, the inner ring as three points and hits to the center as five points. There may be more than one hit to the center. The contestant with the highest total point score wins. In the case of a tie, each tied contestant gains three more shots until one prevails.

The red flag goes up again and the judges run out the the targets to inspect. After they come back, they announce the following: One point has been scored to Atwood Legmar and two points have been scored to Thordak, son of Thotgar!

Prepare for your second shot. Ready. . . aim . . . fire!

Leland Toll's Second Shot: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14

Atwood Legmar Second Shot: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Durbag's Second Shot: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (16) - 3 = 13


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:

Prepare for your second shot. Ready. . . aim . . . fire!

Leland Toll's Second Shot: 1d20-2

Atwood Legmar Second Shot: 1d20+3

Durbag's Second Shot: 1d20-3

So, not that it changes anything, but that first shot was an 18...

Thordak raises his crossbow to his shoulder and aims before he...shoots again!

Thordak's second shot whizzes off into the woods.


Dungeon Master

The judges carefully check the shots and announce the following. Two additional points have been scored to Atwood Legmar, one point has been scored to Durbag Krisk and one point has been scored to Leland Toll. Our current standings are the following: Atwood Legmar has the lead with 3 points. Thordak, son of Throtgar is in second place with 2 points, and Durbag and Leland Toll are tied for third place each having one point. The crowd cheers in great response.

We are now ready for the third round of firing. Contestants take your positions. Ready...Aim..

Time seems to stand still as Thordak hears the call of a familiar voice out in the crowd. It is Dalgar, the Western Witch of the Eastern Witchwood.

Yohooo!! Yooohoo.... Thorry. I am here cheering for you!

The crowd stares in anticipation, waiting to see the third and perhaps final shot. The judge calls out ...Fire!

Atwood Legmar's Third Shot 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Durbag Krisk's Third Shot 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (9) - 3 = 6
Leland Toll's Third Shot 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (10) - 2 = 8


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:

We are now ready for the third round of firing. Contestants take your positions. Ready...Aim..

Time seems to stand still as Thordak hears the call of a familiar voice out in the crowd. It is Dalgar, the Western Witch of the Eastern Witchwood.

Yohooo!! Yooohoo.... Thorry. I am here cheering for you!

The crowd stares in anticipation, waiting to see the third and perhaps final shot. The judge calls out

Fire!

After loading and cranking his crossbow, Thordak decides to be more careful, and licks a finger and extends it into the air to test wind interference.

Knowledge, Nature Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

He ignores foolish onlookers. He prays to Torag.

Thordak shoots!

Thordak's third shot: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Torag helps with the least effort possible, but Thordak thanks him nonetheless.

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
DM Harpwizard wrote:


@ Bofus. You do not sense that Magistrate Strickland is bluffing. He is clearly upset by this matter, but you do not think he is trying to "snowball" you. This matter does appear to be taking a toll on him. However, I need you to make your own judgement. This choice may make a difference later on. Please decide whether or not to give him the letters.

My "he's not bluffing" statement above stands since I think he's not bluffing, including my handing over the letters.

Bofus heads over to the Archery range to cheer on Thordak.


Dungeon Master

The judges walk across the field to inspect the targets. While you are waiting for their return, Atwood turns to Thordak and speaks. I believe the wind took my arrow. It would not have affected your bolt as easily. I believe that this competition will end with just the two of us, Master Dwarf.

When the judges return, they announce to the crowd, All of the shots have missed their targets except for one shot that barely makes it within the outer ring. That shot belongs to . . . Thordak, son of Throtgar. We now have to break the tie for 1st place. To determine the winner, three more shots will be made by each contestant. We will look at the results of those three shots and the contestant with the highest score will be declared the Arrow and Bolt Champion of the Vale. Atwood, you will shoot first followed by Thordak. You may fire when ready.

The half elf steps up to the line, slowly attaches his arrow, and in a slow graceful movement he pulls back the string to his bow, concentrates, and lets the arrow fly.

Atwood's Fourth Shot 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

The arrow hits the target in the outer ring.

Thordak, it is now your turn.


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:

The judges walk across the field to inspect the targets. While you are waiting for their return, Atwood turns to Thordak and speaks. I believe the wind took my arrow. It would not have affected your bolt as easily. I believe that this competition will end with just the two of us, Master Dwarf.

When the judges return, they announce to the crowd, All of the shots have missed their targets except for one shot that barely makes it within the outer ring. That shot belongs to . . . Thordak, son of Throtgar. We now have to break the tie for 1st place. To determine the winner, three more shots will be made by each contestant. We will look at the results of those three shots and the contestant with the highest score will be declared the Arrow and Bolt Champion of the Vale. Atwood, you will shoot first followed by Thordak. You may fire when ready.

The half elf steps up to the line, slowly attaches his arrow, and in a slow graceful movement he pulls back the string to his bow, concentrates, and lets the arrow fly.

Atwood's Fourth Shot 1d20+3

The arrow hits the target in the second ring.

Thordak, it is now your turn.

Thordak prays/grumbles to Torag as he winds up his crossbow and notches a bolt. He takes a deep breath, aims, and...FIRES!

Thordak's fourth shot: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Once again, Torag does his part, but only just.


Dungeon Master

The Judge calls out, "The current standing in the tie break is Atwood 1 point and Thordak 1 point. Master Legmar, you may shoot when ready."

The graceful half elf notches his arrow and pulls back the string to the bow and releases the arrow.

Atwood's Fifth Shot 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Once again, the arrow finds its target, hitting the outer ring!


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:

The Judge calls out, "The current standing in the tie break is Atwood 1 point and Thordak 1 point. Master Legmar, you may shoot when ready."

The graceful half elf notches his arrow and pulls back the string to the bow and releases the arrow.

Atwood's Fifth Shot 1d20+2

Once again, the arrow finds its target, hitting the outer ring!

Thordak is true to his faith, and prays to Torag again. He winds up his crossbow and loads another bolt. He FIRES!

Thordak's fifth shot: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19 +1 Prayer = 20

Torag is a just god, and Thordak says so.


Male Human Paladin 9 (HP:68/102, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +6 Reflex, +11 Will)

DMHW:

Ok, consider my 50 gp given to the official. I was just trying to see if I could do something fun with my diplomacy.

Also, you named someone "Durbag"? That's unfortunate.

Mantooth stands in the crowd, admiring the men's ability to hit their mark at such range. He can only hope that Sarenrae provides him with the means to succeed in his own competition.


Dungeon Master

Upon inspection of the target, the judges announce. "Atwood Legmar has hit the outer ring for 1 point and Thordak, son of Throtgar has hit the inner ring for five points!" The Score is now 6 points to 2. Thordak leads!

The crowd burst out in exuberant cheers!

The half elf nods to you respectfully.

Atwood Legmar, you may now take your third shot of the tiebreak!

Atwood Legmar's sixth shot 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

The tension mounts as it is unclear yet if Atwoods's shot has hit the center ring or not.

"Impressive shot Legmar," announces the judge. "Thordak, you may now shoot your third shot of the tiebreak."


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:

Upon inspection of the target, the judges announce. "Atwood Legmar has hit the outer ring and Thordak, son of Throtgar has hit the inner ring!" The Score is now 6 points to 2. Thordak leads!

The half elf nods to you respectfully.

Atwood Legmar, you may now take your third shot of the tiebreak!

Atwood Legmar's sixth shot 1d20+2

Thordak winds up his crossbow for the last time, and prays to Torag really really hard. He returns the elf's man-nod, but in secret has no desire to lose to an elf.

He raises his crossbow, draws a breath, aims, and releases his bolt.

Thordak's sixth shot: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Thordak chuckles a remark about Torag liking to keep his followers on their toes.


Dungeon Master

The judges rush to the target where the inspection is made. Upon their return, they confer with each other and the announcement is made.

"It is with great pleasure that I present to you the winner of the Arrow and Bolt Competition at the Elsir Vale Tournament of Heroes. Please stand and give it up for a dwarf from the Hammersmith Hold, Thordak, son of Throtgar!

The crowd burst into wild cheers and whistles. The lovely Dalgar comes running across to smother you in an enormous embrace with kisses upon your cheek.


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:

The judges rush to the target where the inspection is made. Upon their return, they confer with each other and the announcement is made.

"It is with great pleasure that I present to you the winner of the Arrow and Bolt Competition at the Elsir Vale Tournament of Heroes. Please stand and give it up for a dwarf from the Hammersmith Hold, Thordak, son of Throtgar!

The crowd burst into wild cheers and whistles. The lovely Dalgar comes running across to smother you in an enormous embrace with kisses upon your cheek.

Thordak makes sure he doesn't get pecked, wondering if Dalgar just wants his money.

Sense Motive check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Survival Check, Embarrassment: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Err, hello. He says gruffly and awkwardly as the part of his face not covered by beard turns bright red.

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

Bofus goes over to Thordak while he's in the unwanted embrace.

Splendidly done, sir! Well struck indeed! But, madame, if you'll excuse us, I must have a word with the victor. Thordak, may I have a word? he pulls Thordak away from his . . . admirer.

He also nods to each of his new friends from the Inn to join them apart from the crowd. he speaks low, keeping an eye out for spies.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Folks, the Magistrate wants to meet me and "anyone I can trust" at teh Eastern guard gate to discuss the issue of the Gauntlet, and of his . . . problem. I didn't speak for any of you, but I invite you all to meet us there right after Thordak receives his award and this event is done. Thordak--great shots!! Well done.

Bofus leaves to head toward the eastern gate, but still wants to see Thordak get his award.


Male Human 2
Bofus Beerswizzler wrote:


Folks, the Magistrate wants to meet me and "anyone I can trust" at teh Eastern guard gate to discuss the issue of the Gauntlet, and of his . . . problem. I didn't speak for any of you, but I invite you all to meet us there right after Thordak receives his award and this event is done. Thordak--great shots!! Well done.

Bofus leaves to head toward the eastern gate, but still wants to see Thordak get his award.

Matthias listens to Bofus' proposal carefully before divulging his situation to the group.

I ran into Jared Kaal, one of my less favorable acquaintances from when I used to live in Brindol. I was somewhat forced into a wager involving the steeple chase, I must be victorious or I will lose my dearest possession, my noble steed Humphrey.I will come with you to the gate but my event is next I may need to go prepare before this business is taken care of. I will do whatever i can to help though.
Matthias will follow to the eastern gate but take care to get to his event in plenty of time.
even if that means not going to the gate at all


Male Human Paladin 9 (HP:68/102, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +6 Reflex, +11 Will)
Bofus Beerswizzler wrote:

Folks, the Magistrate wants to meet me and "anyone I can trust" at teh Eastern guard gate to discuss the issue of the Gauntlet, and of his . . . problem. I didn't speak for any of you, but I invite you all to meet us there right after Thordak receives his award and this event is done. Thordak--great shots!! Well done.

I will come to the eastern gate with you. I have plenty of time before my event and I am as ready as I will ever be. Mattias, if you need time to prepare please take it, you would not want to lose your horse.

Mantooth follows Bofus, waiting with him for Thordak if need be.


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
Bofus Beerswizzler wrote:

Bofus goes over to Thordak while he's in the unwanted embrace.

Folks, the Magistrate wants to meet me and "anyone I can trust" at teh Eastern guard gate to discuss the issue of the Gauntlet, and of his . . . problem. I didn't speak for any of you, but I invite you all to meet us there right after Thordak receives his award and this event is done. Thordak--great shots!! Well done.

Bofus leaves to head toward the eastern gate, but still wants to see Thordak get his award.

Thordak agrees, looking back over his shoulder warily for his admirer. sure, Oi'll be over as soon as Oi get moi trophy an... He trails off, distractedly. Oi don' know about that Dalgar woman. How am Oi gonna get rid of her? She says she's a witch, which might help us but Oi don't really wanna ask her...

Thordak pulls his beard worriedly. He listens to Bofus and then returns to get his trophy and moneys.

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

As folks start to answer before Bofus actually leaves, he stops to listen gratefully.

to Matthais:
Eesh, you bet your *horse* against the Kaals? That makes me nervous for you, my friend. Tell you what--I have an eye for certain things. I'll make sure that I can get down there before the steeplechase, and if you'll allow me, I'll take a look at your steed before you start. The Kaals . . . well, I don't trust 'em half as far as I could throw 'em.

Thanks for joining me, guys. You're all good folk, and I hope this can get squared away quickly. Thordak, I'm not sure what to make of that woman either. We'll keep an eye on her. C'mon--the sooner we head down there, the sooner we can cheer on Matthias to victory!


Dungeon Master

After the announcement of Thordak's win, the dwarf is bombarded by numerous, enthusiastic, fans.

"That second shot of the tie break was unbelievable. How could you even see the inner ring from that distance?"

"Hey Dwarf, How did you stay so calm in all that tension?"

"Hey Thordak, can I have your autograph."

Mister Thorbak, Do you give lessons on how to use a crossbow?

"Thordak, son of Throtgar, I was honored to compete against you." Atwood Legmar bows to you in respect. "You will always be welcome at my home in the Westwood."

"What kind of crossbow and bolts do you use? Are they dwarven make?"

"Thorry, you were so cute out there with your little crossbow," Dalgar says as she affectionately tugs on his beard. "I hope you don't use that on animals!". . . "Well you look a little busy right now with your fans, I better get back to my booth in the commons. Come see me if you want to pick up some herbs and ointments."

"I hear a crossbow is a really easy weapon to fire. Much easier than a bow."

"That shot was worth every copper that I paid for admission to this Tournament."

A short while later, Borar Monsk, the chief judge, steps onto a podium in the center of the arena and announces. "Thordak, son of Throtgar, please step forward and claim your prize." After the dwarf reaches the podium, Minsk places a gold medallion around his neck and hands him a bag of coins. You estimate the madallion to be worth about 75 g.p. if you ever decided to sell it. The bag contains 250 gold pieces. Presenting our new Champion of the Arrow and Bolt at the Elsir Vale Tournament of Heroes, Thordak, son of Throtgar! Horns sound out in a glorious fanfare, celebrating your victory.

A short while later, as people start to clear out of the arena, some of you make your way toward the eastern gate to meet up with Magistrate Strickland. At the eastern end of the 'downs' there is a stone hut next to the gate and two of the Brindol Lions sit on a bench outside, sharpening their blades against a whetstone. As you approach, one of them stand up and says to you. Hey, what do you want? There are no events over here!"


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:

After the announcement of Thordak's win, the dwarf is bombarded by numerous, enthusiastic, fans.

A short while later, Borar Monsk, the chief judge, steps onto a podium in the center of the arena and announces. "Thordak, son of Throtgar, please step forward and claim your prize." After the dwarf reaches the podium, Minsk places a gold medallion around his neck and hands him a bag of coins. You estimate the madallion to be worth about 75 g.p. if you ever decided to sell it. The bag contains 250 gold pieces. Presenting our new Champion of the Arrow and Bolt at the Elsir Vale Tournament of Heroes, Thordak, son of Throtgar! Horns sound out in a glorious fanfare, celebrating your victory.

A short while later, as people start to clear out of the arena, some of you make your way toward the eastern gate to meet up with Magistrate Strickland. At the eastern end of the 'downs' there is a stone hut next to the gate and two of the Brindol Lions sit on a bench outside, sharpening their blades against a whetstone. As you approach, one of them stand up and says to you. Hey, what do you want? There are no events over here!"

Thordak responds to his fans as graciously as he can. He shakes Atwood Legmar's hand and welcomes him to his halls as well. He doesn't have time to respond to all of the admirers, but does give an autograph to a child.

To the one who says "I hear a crossbow is a really easy weapon to fire. Much easier than a bow." he mutters, in a low voice, Run out a pace, an' Oi'll show you how easy it is to fire!

Thordak enjoys the acclaim, and the gold very much. He less enjoys having his beard pulled by other people. He tries to figure out what to do with his enormous bag of gold.

Knowledge, dungeoneering check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

He eventually decides to carry it, strapping his crossbow to his back and tucking his medallion into his shirt. He makes his way to the east downs, trying not to bring any fans with him.

Stealth Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

When he arrives and is questioned by the guard, he responds. Oh, Oi was jus' goin fer a walk. You boys mind if Oi borrow your whetstone for a minute, moi dagger could use a sharpenin'?

Diplomacy Check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3


Dungeon Master
Thordak wrote:
When he arrives and is questioned by the guard, he responds. "Oh, Oi was jus' goin fer a walk. You boys mind if Oi borrow your whetstone for a minute, moi dagger could use a sharpenin'?"

Ha Ha. . . Keep on walkin, Dwarf.


Male Human Paladin 9 (HP:68/102, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +6 Reflex, +11 Will)

Diplomacy check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Mantooth approached the men with his hands out in greeting and to indicate no hostility Good morning, sirs. The magistrate asked us to meet him here after registering. Have you seen him?

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
Mantooth Longbrow wrote:

Diplomacy check 1d20+8

Mantooth approached the men with his hands out in greeting and to indicate no hostility Good morning, sirs. The magistrate asked us to meet him here after registering. Have you seen him?

Bofus was also nearby; when he saw the throng around Thordak, he decided he could congratulate him in priavte later, so he headed for the east gate before Thordak was done soaking up the adulations.

Bofus knows a silver tongue when he hears it, so after hearing Mantooth's attempt to persuade the guards, Bofus holds his tongue. He's prepared to bluff them if Diplomacy fails. In fact, I'll see what kind of mood their in, and what kind of reaction they had to Mantooth's declaration, in order to give me a better idea of how to bluff them. don't know if that would work, but i'm trying to gain a bonus to bluff :-)

Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


Dungeon Master
Mantooth wrote:
Mantooth approached the men with his hands out in greeting and to indicate no hostility. Good morning, sirs. The magistrate asked us to meet him here after registering. Have you seen him?

The guards both stand up at your arrival. "Did you say, the Magistrate?," the taller of of the two guards asks, taken a sudden interest. The two guards look at each other questioningly, and then reply, "Well, . . . actually no. Did he say he wanted to meet you here?"

@Bofus, with your sense motive you do not detect any deception. The guards genuinely appear to not have seen him.

"You are welcome to wait here if you like."


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:
Mantooth wrote:
Mantooth approached the men with his hands out in greeting and to indicate no hostility. Good morning, sirs. The magistrate asked us to meet him here after registering. Have you seen him?

The guards both stand up at your arrival. "Did you say, the Magistrate?," the taller of of the two guards asks, taken a sudden interest. The two guards look at each other questioningly, and then reply, "Well, . . . actually no. Did he say he wanted to meet you here?"

@Bofus, with your sense motive you do not detect any deception. The guards genuinely appear to not have seen him.

"You are welcome to wait here if you like."

After they have been subdued by his more diplomatic friends, Thordak says to the guards So, er...How about that whetstone?


Dungeon Master

Very well, Master Dwarf, but I hope you know what you're doing with it. So what's with that large sack? Did you rob the thieve's guild or something? The two guards slap each other and laugh at their own dim witted humor.

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 53/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
DM Harpwizard wrote:
Very well, Master Dwarf, but I hope you know what you're doing with it. So what's with that large sack? Did you rob the thieve's guild or something? The two guards slap each other and laugh at their own dim witted humor.

I think I'll take advantage of this. :-) I'll stealthily make my way to a side of the guardhouse that the guards are not on, under cover of their jocularity. I want to try to either look in a window, or listen if i'm too short, to see if anyone is in the guardhouse.

Stealth 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20
Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:
Very well, Master Dwarf, but I hope you know what you're doing with it. So what's with that large sack? Did you rob the thieve's guild or something? The two guards slap each other and laugh at their own dim witted humor.

It's full o' bones! Thordak mutters, looking at them over the blade of his newly sharpened dagger. He tosses their whetstone back and hopes it hits them because they are laughing and not looking.


Dungeon Master

@Bofus. You are able to discretely walk around the back of the guard house. The guards do appear to notice your absence. It is a small one room stone hut. Peering through a barred back window, you are able to see a room with table and chairs. However it appears to be empty.

Please let me know if any of you are choosing not to come to this meeting or are planning to come late. Otherwise I will assume that you are all here.


Male Human Paladin 9 (HP:68/102, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +6 Reflex, +11 Will)
DM Harpwizard wrote:

"Did you say, the Magistrate?," "Well, . . . actually no. Did he say he wanted to meet you here?"

"You are welcome to wait here if you like."

Perception Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Making sure to continue the conversation long enough for Bofus to carry about his business, Mantooth continued Yes, Magistrate Strickland asked us to meet him here later. Unsure of whether or not to tell the guards what their true business was, Mantooth did not lie but was instead somewhat economical with the truth. It was somewhat unclear why he had us meet over here, but I can only assume it has to do with the tournament.

Sense Motive 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Male Human 2

Matthias stands next to Mantooth becoming wary of the fact that the magistrate has not yet arrived.
Perception check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

201 to 250 of 10,357 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Harpwizard’s Heroes of Elsir Vale All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.