Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Harpwizard’s Heroes of Elsir Vale

Game Master GM Harpwizard

Elsir Vale
City of Brindol


7,351 to 7,400 of 10,635 << first < prev | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | next > last >>

Dungeon Master

• Sunday, Lamashan 7, 4710 • 6 o'clock in the evening

Throughout the day, you have travelled south by horseback along the Old Rhest Road. While you travel, the Elven hunters of the Tiri Kitor soar overhead in wide arcing loops over the forest. During the day, you pass the burned outpost that had once blocked the road. Although the road is now passable, you do not see much traffic upon it. Later as evening approaches you return to Farmer Egdom's Farm near the north branch of the Witchstream. It is here that you decide to make camp.

If you wish to role play a visit with Egdom that will be fine, but I am going to move you forward to Brindol.

Elsir Vale

• Moonday, Lamashan 8, 4710 • 8 o'clock in the evening

The evening was uneventful and you rise early in the morning to travel another day. After a long hard day, pushing your beasts beyond what they are use to traveling, you finally arrive in line at the North Gate as wagons and lines of refugees line the streets trying to get into the city. Eventually, you the queue reaches the gate itself and you are greeted by one of the Brindol Lions at the main gatehouse.

The guard does not recognize you and addresses you as if he has asked this question a thousand times, "There are no rooms in the inns. Are you planning to stay in Brindol for the siege? Do you have any skills you can contribute to help with the defense of the city?"

City of Brindol


Male Gnome Sorcerer/9 - (HP: 46/46 - AC19;FF16;T17 - F+5;R+6;W+7 - Init+9 - Per+11)

Sense Motive: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Since Tirion has no clue whether this guard knows them or is simply clueless by asking such a question to what is clearly a heavily armed group, he simply addresses the guard with a broad smile.

I am sure that Lord Jarmaath with have space for us, and probably will want to speak with us. We are sort of the group who has been harassing the horde. You know, kill a few dragons, eliminate bridges and river crossings, wipe out a few Wyrmlords. Simple stuff like that.

Oh, and we also brought a few scouts for the city's defense. With this Tirion points to the Tiri Kitor and their owls effortlessly gliding across the sky above.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6

Don't ye know us yet? We musta been through this gate two score times...We're tha champions o' tha tournament, an' friends o' Jarmaath!

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 52/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

Thordak, give this guard a break. He's obviously bedraggled and worn out from the stream of refugees coming in!! Good day, Guardsman--as Tirion here pointed out, we certainly bring welcome news, as well as the best scouts you'll ever find, with us!! And we absoultely guarantee the good Lord Jarmaath will want to speak to us personally--I'll bet a platinum piece he'll even rearrange his schedule to see us right away. So may I humbly suggest you put your best foot forward and have word sent to him that the Champions of the Tournament are here to see him, spit spot??

Diplomacy (aiding Tirion): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24 <--success


Dungeon Master

The guard at the gatehouse does a doubletake as he realizes who he is addressing. "Oh my, it is Thordak Son of Throtgar, the Champion of the Bolt and Arrow, and Bofus Beechnut, the Champion of the Gauntlet! And look who else is here! Is that Mantooth Longbrow, Champion of the Sword?! This is remarkable! I remember cheering for each of you at the Tournament of Heroes! What ever happened to all of you? I heard you fled the city after an altercation with Magistrate Jared Kaal. I'm not aware of any warrants for your arrest, but I just wonder why you all left so suddenly. Did you have trouble with the law?"


Male Gnome Sorcerer/9 - (HP: 46/46 - AC19;FF16;T17 - F+5;R+6;W+7 - Init+9 - Per+11)

That all depends on whose version of the law one is speaking of. If you mean the version where junior Kaal puts people in jail to please mummy, then yes. If you mean the version in which Lord Jarmaath rules this good city, then no. Either way, we left to investigate some rumors of hobgoblin attacks to the east. I know that it has been a few days, but we have returned to report our findings to Lord Jarmaath.


Dungeon Master
Tirion wrote:
"If you mean the version where junior Kaal puts people in jail to please mummy, then yes."

"I don't know who you are fella!" The guard remarks, "But that is no way to speak of Magistrate Kaal's mother! Perhaps you would should come in here and answer a few questions. We will not tolerate any disrespect to the authorities in this city!"


Male Gnome Sorcerer/9 - (HP: 46/46 - AC19;FF16;T17 - F+5;R+6;W+7 - Init+9 - Per+11)

Tirion simply shakes his head. Unless you want to have a number of your superiors very grumpy, you should just escort us to Lord Jarmaath. If you have any questions, I will wait, but I ask that you summon Sergeant Teyani Sura as she knows us. Either way, the good paladin of Iomedae here, Sir Mantooth Longbrow will also vouch for me, and unless you are no longer trusting paladins of Iomedae in this city, I would think that would be enough.


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6

He's with us, Thordak says to the guard, patting him on the arm An' as fer authorities, Oi pay respect where respect is due, an' that's to Jarmaath. Oi understand yer just doin' yer duty but make sure that yer loyalty lies in tha right place--with tha good folks who live here an' with tha right an' just leader, Lord Jarmaath. You have a good day now... Thordak says before continuing on.


Not in use

Edvard stands impassive, staring at the guardsman before him with a dismissive expression... and filing away a few questions to ask with respect to the previous travails that the group seems to have fallen foul of.


Male Human Paladin 9 (HP:68/102, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +6 Reflex, +11 Will)
Tirion wrote:
"Either way, the good paladin of Iomedae here, Sir Mantooth Longbrow will also vouch for me, and unless you are no longer trusting paladins of Iomedae in this city, I would think that would be enough."

"Indeed, the dark gnome speaks the truth. He is a just and valiant ally, and regardless of his political standing, he is to be welcomed to Brindol. I am Sir Mantooth Longbrow, Knight of the Elsir Vale, and I kindly ask that you let him pass without any further dealy."

Diplomacy 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27


Dungeon Master

The guard looks at Mantooth, then Tirion, and then the rest of you and declares, "Very well, go ahead and find Lord Jarmaath. But I warn you, dark gnome. Do not go speaking ill of Verasa Kaal again in this town again. A Brindol Lion cannot overlook such infractions easily, especially with Magistrate Kaal in charge. Now go ahead and make your way to the keep and explain your business to the guards there."

Entering through the north gate you move through the crowded city streets making your way up the hill to the keep. You are moving along slowly when all of a sudden a man comes running up to you on the street.


Town Speaker of Drellin's Ferry

The speaker of Drellin's Ferry appears out of the crowd and enthusiastically addresses you.

"My friends, you have made it to Brindol! I am pleased to see you safe. If you had not warned us when you did, the people of Drellin's Ferry would most certainly have perished. We've heard reports that plumes of smoke were rising up from Drellin's Ferry. Nobody has gone back to investigate, but we know that the Red Hand is approaching. The situation is still tense and very sad, but at least we have made it to Brindol safely and we have our lives. We also have you to thank for it!"


Not in use

Holding his tongue as they move past the guard, Edvard is again out of the loop as they are accosted once more.

Heh - part and parcel with coming into a long-standing game late :P


Dungeon Master

You'll get to know these npcs. Some are more and some are less significant. Feel free to ask about any of them. In character may even prove useful.


Not in use

DMHW - I will as and when Edvard would see the need to ;)


Male Gnome Sorcerer/9 - (HP: 46/46 - AC19;FF16;T17 - F+5;R+6;W+7 - Init+9 - Per+11)

Tirion waves at the Speaker.

Speaker, I am glad to see that you, and hopefully all your people, made it here safely. Do you know whether the citizens of the other towns to the east safely evacuated? If they did not, I fear for their welfare.


Town Speaker of Drellin's Ferry

"As far as I know, all of the people from Drellin's Ferry have safely arrived, but I cannot speak for the residents of the other towns. However, if they value their lives, I am sure they will flee to Brindol. Well, I do not want to hold you up, but I saw you and wanted to let you know that we are here safely. If you need me, you will find me with most of the villagers from Drellin's Ferry encamped in the park in front of the cathedral. Be well, my friends."

The Speaker of Drellin's Ferry departs back into the crowds.


Captain of the Lion Guard of Brindol

A moment later you reach the gate to Brindol keep where a familiar face grins at your arrival. He limps out from the guard hut and greets you each with a strong embrace.

"Well met, my friends!" Lars Ulverth says as he leads you into the courtyard. "Am I ever glad to see you return! I heard from Sergeant Sura that you were heading north into the Blackfens and I feared for your lives. You don't look too worse for wear, but I see that you like to push your beasts of burden to the extreme. Have you tamed that Hippogriff of yours any more, Thordak?! I don't think we have much corn to be offering you when we are preparing for a siege!"

"Come here stablehand!" Ulverth yells to a young boy, "Help bring these horses into the Lord's stables and be sure that they are fed and watered. We have business to attend to with Lord Jarmaath."

"So who is this vagabond that you've brought in from the wilds?" He asks as he looks over Edvard.

"I am Captain Lars Ulverth, chief commander of the Brindol Lions." He says as he offers the witch a hearty handshake. "You keep good company in these parts to be hanging out with these folk."

"If you'll come with me, I can bring you up to see Jarmaath immediately."


The High Lord of Brindol

Ulverth leads you through a series of hallways of the keep to the High Lord of Brindol's office. The Lord looks up from a map he is studying as you enter the room. A warm smile comes to his face as you enter.

"Mantooth, Bofus, Thordak, and Tirion. You are a most welcome sight at a time like this!" Jarmaath comes forward and embraces each of you.

When he reaches Edvard, the Lord looks him straight in the eye with a steady gaze and declares while grasping his hand in a hearty clasp, "I am Lord Kerden Jarmaath, the leader of the free people of Elsir Vale. Who do I have the pleasure of welcoming to my keep?"

After introductions, Jarmaath continues, "So much has happened since I last saw you. When I sent you west to investigate a few hobgoblin raids, I had no idea that you would send word back that a horde of dragons and all sorts of villainy was on its way to wipe out the people of the entire vale! What is all hell has broken loose?! Never in my day would I have thought that I would be dealing with such evil! Now please come in and sit down and let me hear of what news you bring. How are you all faring in these dark times?"


Male Human Paladin 9 (HP:68/102, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +6 Reflex, +11 Will)
Jarmaath wrote:
"Now please come in and sit down and let me hear of what news you bring. How are you all faring in these dark times?"

"Lord Jarmaath, I am pleased to be back in Brindol and to see you again. So much has happened since we last saw you. After we learned of the Red Hand Horde and their route to conquer the vale, we also discovered that the Red Hand was breeding an army of deadly dragonspawn creatures known as Greenspawn Razorfiends. We found the hatchery hidden in the old sunken city of Rest. It was there that we met Wyrmlord Saarvith and the black dragon, Regiarix. However, the light of the Inheritor was with us and we defeated them both. We then destroyed the hatchery along with dozens of razorfiend eggs. This was a small victory, but we have much to do still, for we believe that the Red Hand has forced a Lich to create an army of undead for them. The problem is that we do not know where to find this Lich."


The High Lord of Brindol
Mantooth wrote:
" This was a small victory, but we have much to do still, for we believe that the Red Hand has forced a Lich to create an army of undead for them. The problem is that we do not know where to find this Lich."

"In the name of Iomedae, a Lich?!! Are you certain?! The situation is far worse than I thought! We are not in any position to defend against the horde as it is! What hope is there in fighting undead on top of it! I just don't understand. I know that the Lich would be interested in great power, but why would it work with the Wyrmlords and the Red Hand? This is the part that I do not understand. The hobgoblins, the giants, the ettins, the dragons, and now the undead are all uniting under the banner of the Red Hand. Who is behind all of this and how do they acquire such power? The evil in this land has been vast, but they have never been united before. This is beyond anything I have ever seen!"


Not in use

To Captain Lars:

At the Captain's words Edvard frowns at him for a good few seconds before speaking in Elvish "À bois noueux, hache affilée" in a steady and even tone before adding "I am Edvard of the Witchwood. How is it that a cripple serves in a role such as yours?" though the extended hand is not taken to shake.

Given that he has no history with Lars, Edvard has taken the use of the word Vagabond as an insult of sorts and responded in kind.

Elvish:
"You must meet roughness with roughness"

With Lord Jarmaath:

When the Lord presents his hand Edvard pauses for a moment, before answering "I am Edvard of the Witchwood... A free person of the vale, but by no means your subject." and then extending his hand to be shook.

To Jarmaath's response Edvard adds "The lich may not be in league with them and there is reason to suspect coercion... but regardless it is a problem that needs pursuing." leaving the reason for the suspected coercion out of his words, thinking that the less people know of the artifact of evil they carry the better.


Captain of the Lion Guard of Brindol
Edvard wrote:
"I am Edvard of the Witchwood. How is it that a cripple serves in a role such as yours?"

Lars Ulverth gives Edvard an appraising glance and a scowl at his refusal to shake his hand. "Hah!" The imposing man replies with a disgusted laugh, "If you would have asked, you would know that the limp comes from a wound received in a tragic battle with an ogre in which my true love was slain. I suppose it is my innate stubbornness that refuses to have the wound healed magically. I will respect your companions agreement to keep you around and forgive your lack of understanding, Edvard of the Witchwood, but you are lucky that none of the Brindol Lions were around to hear you, for they would have taken issue at your words and would likely have sliced you through the gullet for your lack of respect to their commander. You see, when you get to be in a position like mine, honor and respect are far more important in commanding an army than a bad leg, especially when their loyalty to me is beyond reproach."


The High Lord of Brindol
Edvard wrote:
"I am Edvard of the Witchwood... A free person of the vale, but by no means your subject."

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Edvard. I am delighted to hear that you are a free person of the Elsir Vale, and although it is clear that you do not accept my rule of this land, can I assume from the company that you keep, that you are indeed here to support me and the rest of the good people of the Elsir Vale in our resistance to the doom that will surely follow should we not unite?"

Edvard wrote:
"The lich may not be in league with them and there is reason to suspect coercion... but regardless it is a problem that needs pursuing."

"Coercing a Lich is no simple task. To be honest, I am unaware of any in this land that would have the power to perform such a task. I fear that we may be outmatched in this war. We are working as hard as we can to prepare our defenses, but we will be of no match if the Lich chooses to enter the city. We only had a slim hope to begin with, but this news casts all that hope into shadow!"


Male Gnome Sorcerer/9 - (HP: 46/46 - AC19;FF16;T17 - F+5;R+6;W+7 - Init+9 - Per+11)

Tirion listens to the exchange between Edvard and Lord Jarmaath before responding.

Well you lordship, I think that we have one tool that the Horde thinks it has. We have an object of pure evil which seems to be the soul of a lich. Our assumption is that the one referred to as the Ghostlord is this lich and while I hate bargaining with undead, I think that the change of circumstances of us possessing its soul may be used as a lever to make this Ghostlord to withdraw his aid from the Horde.

Tirion pauses for a moment: I believe that this Ghostlord is actually not an ally of the queen of dragons and her goblin horde, rather, I think he is an unwilling servant.


Not in use

To Captain Ulverth:

Spitting to the side Edvard replies with a touch of venom "Respect and honor... yet your first word to me is vagabond." he then raises his shirt to uncover his stomach and chest - a mess of ill-healed and brutal looking scars. "Neither scar nor loss makes you special Captain... you would do better to keep your pain in your heart and not your leg." and he walks on past the man.

With Lord Jarmaath:

Carefully choosing his words and maintaining a steady gaze "I fight the Red Hand... but not for you, nor for your people."

Aaaand Tirion just spills the information wholesale... so much for the subdued and understated approach.


Male Gnome Sorcerer/9 - (HP: 46/46 - AC19;FF16;T17 - F+5;R+6;W+7 - Init+9 - Per+11)

Tirion has a 21 Charisma and an 8 Wisdom, he has been known to speak without thinking from time to time.

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 52/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

Before the Captain answers Edvard's scar display, Bofus slides between them. Captain, good to see you again!! I hope you're able to maintain order amidst the chaos that the refugees are bringing? As Bofus goes for getting the Captain's attention, he beckons the larger man lower. Edvard is a bit of a loner, not much for what we might call "polite conversation." And, truth be told, you pegging him as a vagabond was a little crass, don't you think?? I wager he wasn't all that off base to be offended. I certainly hope you can forgive our friend the slight he simply thought he was returning!

***********
As Jarmath starts to show dispair at learning about our foes, Bofus tries to intervene here, too. My good Lord, don't dispair!! You konw how many times we were told we'd get eaten by the black dragon and his little goblin rider?? We took *them* out! Don't underestimate what we're capable of!! All the same, it's rpobably best if the knowledge that a lich is among our foes is kept close to the breast, savvy?


Captain of the Lion Guard of Brindol
Edvard wrote:
"Neither scar nor loss makes you special Captain... you would do better to keep your pain in your heart and not your leg."

Ulverth looks at Edvard with wide eyes, but holds his tongue. Once the witch departs out of earshot, he looks at Bofus questioningly.

Bofus wrote:
"Edvard is a bit of a loner, not much for what we might call "polite conversation." And, truth be told, you pegging him as a vagabond was a little crass, don't you think?? I wager he wasn't all that off base to be offended. I certainly hope you can forgive our friend the slight he simply thought he was returning!"

"Well, you really picked up some cheery companionship there, my friend." Ulverth replies sardonically. "Ahh, perhaps you are right. Maybe the vagabond comment was a little crass, but you must admit, he looks like he just came out of the swamps! At first I thought that you had taken him in out of the refugee camps out of pity. I just didn't expect . . . . well it doesn't matter. I'll just let Jarmaath deal with him now. Now he's a man who has mastered the art of diplomacy and I'm sure he will be able to handle Edvard of the Witchwood easily enough. As for me, I much prefer my sword."


The High Lord of Brindol
Edvard wrote:
"I fight the Red Hand... but not for you, nor for your people."

"Well, you are most welcome here in my city and I am delighted to accept your assistance. However, I do hope you will permit me to get to know you better."

Tirion wrote:
"Well you lordship, I think that we have one tool that the Horde thinks it has. We have an object of pure evil which seems to be the soul of a lich. Our assumption is that the one referred to as the Ghostlord is this lich and while I hate bargaining with undead, I think that the change of circumstances of us possessing its soul may be used as a lever to make this Ghostlord to withdraw his aid from the Horde."

"Ahh, well that would explain it! For say you have retrieved this phylactery? Splendid work! Have you kept it safe? Where is it now? Well, I have heard rumors of the Ghostlord, but he has not made himself known in any of the years that I have lived here in the vale. He must possess a great evil power. Do you really think you can bargain him?"

Bofus wrote:
My good Lord, don't dispair!! You konw how many times we were told we'd get eaten by the black dragon and his little goblin rider?? We took *them* out! Don't underestimate what we're capable of!! All the same, it's rpobably best if the knowledge that a lich is among our foes is kept close to the breast, savvy?"

"My dear Bofus, I have missed your optimism! You have always played the odds and won, and I do hope your are right, but from the roster of creatures that you sent forth, I just don't see how this is going to end well. We simply do not have the resources to fight this kind of army. The Brindol Lions and the Brindol Guard are only so many in number. We will be able to hold them for a while, but sadly, this is going to end badly, my friends! The numbers just do not work out!"


Not in use

Edvard allows a smirk to show upon his face and replies "All knowledge gives power and has a price... if you give up equal to what is requested, then I will answer your questions."

On the topic of hand, Edvard is more direct and does not allow the fact that the phylactery's presence becoming known to give him any pause "They have numbers yes, but that weight of savagery is only kept together through the weight of a forceful mind and hand. Cut off that hand, and the body will fall away. It would be thus if the Ghostlord's support could be excised from the Hand."

"Bargain perhaps, threaten perhaps, reason... likely not. But the fact remains that at present we do not know of where it dwells."


The High Lord of Brindol
Edvard wrote:
"All knowledge gives power and has a price... if you give up equal to what is requested, then I will answer your questions."

"Forgive me, Edvard, I am not clear what knowledge and what price you are referring. All I know is that I must do everything in my power to protect the people of the Elsir Vale and if we do not use everything at our disposal, the price will be a great many lives!"

Edvard wrote:
"Bargain perhaps, threaten perhaps, reason... likely not. But the fact remains that at present we do not know of where it dwells."

"Well, as I've mentioned, I heard of the legend of the Ghostlord, but I have never known whether the stories were true or not. I certainly do not where it's tomb was located. Perhaps Deitrovicca Manturiel at Brindol Academy would be able to assist you. I find that his advice and knowledge second to none."


Male Gnome Sorcerer/9 - (HP: 46/46 - AC19;FF16;T17 - F+5;R+6;W+7 - Init+9 - Per+11)

Oh, and regarding defending your good city. I am hopeful that it will not be just the Brindol guard and Lions. We have spoken with a tribe of forest giants who have no love for this destructive chaotic evil horde. Also, Thordak has spoken with the Hammerfist dwarves and as I am sure you were told, we have brought a number of airborn elven archers with their magnificent owl mounts. Thus, I think that you will find your ability to withstand this siege may be greater than you think.

_____________
After a brief pause to regain his train of thought.

Where is this person at the Academy? I should like to speak with her. If we are to get to the Ghostlord before the horde gets here, we will need to move quickly. In all likelihood, the horde will be here within a few days, perhaps a week at best I would think. We all know that the components of this horde are all chaotic monsters which on a good day usually kill their own. As Edvard alluded to, it is only through the power and fear instilled by the Wyrmlords and their draconic allies that it is held together. We have so far eliminated two of the reptiles and two Wyrmlords. There are only three more left that I know of. Each one that is killed weakens their hold on the horde. Our goal is to have it break apart like a smoke ring in a stiff brease by eliminating the caustic tar that is holding it together, the Wyrmlords.


The High Lord of Brindol
Tirion wrote:
"Also, Thordak has spoken with the Hammerfist dwarves and as I am sure you were told, we have brought a number of airborn elven archers with their magnificent owl mounts. Thus, I think that you will find your ability to withstand this siege may be greater than you think."

"Is this true Thordak? I did not know that your kin, the dwarves of the Hammerfist Hold, had agreed to come fight at our side. Do you think Othrek Hammerfist will come himself? Either way, this is good news indeed! And you have brought elves with you? No, I did not hear of this until now! Where do they come from? I did not know that the elves would support us. If they are anything like the ones I met many years ago in the Blackfens, they much prefer to stay independent and only mind their own affairs. Now tell me more of these giants. This may pose a problem for the people of Brindol. They are certainly not accustomed to the larger humanoids and I doubt they would welcome them into their city."

Tirion wrote:
"Where is this person at the Academy? I should like to speak with her."

"Professor Deitrovicca Manturiel is actually a he. Have you met him before? He is affectionately known as the Harpwizard at Brindol Academy. He is rather knowledgeable on quite a few subjects. Perhaps he knows enough of the history of this old Lich to help you find the tomb. He is a very busy man, but I cannot think of anything more important that what you are doing!"

Tirion wrote:
"In all likelihood, the horde will be here within a few days, perhaps a week at best I would think."

"From what I have heard from Teyani Sura and the reports from the west, the Red Hand Horde has reached Drellin's Ferry and are moving east from there. The best source of information we have is this map that you sent along with Matthias." Lord Jarmaath pulls out the Map you recognize from Wyrmlord Koth's lair. "It indicates the route and the days at which the Red Hand plans to sack each town. According to the map they do not move very quickly. It indicates that they will be in Drellin's Ferry on day 5, Terrelton on day 12, Nimon's Gap on day 19, Talar on day 25 and Brindol by day 35. I heard that you destroyed Skull Gorge Bridge. At the very least that should give us another few days. Let's just hope the map is not a decoy for a more sinister plan."


Not in use
Lord Kerden Jarmaath wrote:
"Forgive me, Edvard, I am not clear what knowledge and what price you are referring."

"You seek to know more of me... that knowledge could be used to gain power over me. The price would be an exchange of similar knowledge of yourself - so we would each be equally disadvantaged." pausing to allow the reasoning to sink in "If you seek to truly know of me, then you must also strip yourself bare."

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 52/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

Don't worry Tirion, I'll take you to D. M. Harpwizard, I wanted to talk with him anyway. Oh and, don't we have something that, er, the good Lord Jarmaath here might find interesting? I"m not sure who has it--that pendant thing? Who's got it?

Oh, and we should introduce Killiar Arrowswift to Lord Jarmaath, I'm sure the Lord would want to meet the Captain, no? And we should get the elves coordinated with Captain Laars so the can scout and stuff.


The High Lord of Brindol
Edvard wrote:
"You seek to know more of me... that knowledge could be used to gain power over me. The price would be an exchange of similar knowledge of yourself - so we would each be equally disadvantaged." pausing to allow the reasoning to sink in "If you seek to truly know of me, then you must also strip yourself bare."

"My dear Edvard, I do not wish to gain any power over you. I am a former Andoran Knight and I hope to bring justice and peace to this land. I have no desire to control you, but to help you find your place in this world. I see that you are not comfortable opening up to me, and that is fine. We will take things at the pace you wish to go. If you care to share anything with me, that will be fine. If you prefer to remain silent, I will respect your wishes. However, you should know that I wish to know you better not to achieve an advantage over you, but that we may understand each other better and build upon our commonalities. I we had the time, I would hope we could share in a meal and conversation where we would tell stories and share our history with each other. Unfortunately, with the impending attack of the Red Hand, I am afraid that I have far too much strategy to plan and discuss before we will find such time for leisure. In the meanwhile, I trust you will stay with us here in the keep with the rest of your friends as my guests until you are ready to leave. Knowing these folks as I do, I suspect that it will not be a long stay. However, if there is anything that you need, please see Captain Ulverth. He is in charge of security in this keep and I am certain that he would be happy to arrange accommodations and help you in any way he can."

Bofus wrote:
"Oh and, don't we have something that, er, the good Lord Jarmaath here might find interesting? I"m not sure who has it--that pendant thing? Who's got it?"

Lord Jarmaath looks at the pendant with wide eyes and declares, "Where did you get this? This was my pendant from many years ago when I was a young knight in this land. I lost it in a battle we fought against a very young black dragon. I had just come back from Andoran and was eager to prove myself. So a group of Brindol Lions and I were traveling north in the region north of Rhest Lake where we ran into a very young black dragon. We fought hard and wounded the beast, but it managed to escape us. We did not kill the beast, but we did find its hoard and rob it of all of its treasure. I mean we figured that it belonged to the people of the Elsir Vale anyway. Well anyway, I lost this pendant in that battle against that black dragon. I thought it was gone forever. So where exactly did you find it?"

Bofus wrote:
"Oh, and we should introduce Killiar Arrowswift to Lord Jarmaath, I'm sure the Lord would want to meet the Captain, no? And we should get the elves coordinated with Captain Laars so the can scout and stuff."

"I would like to meet this Killiar Arrowswift. I do not know the elves all that well, and I would look forward to making his acquaintance. I understand that they are formidable warriors. So, what must we do to make them welcome?"

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 52/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

I believe the dragon you fought and drove away was the same dragon we ended only days hence! Or else it was a relative--or maybe an enemy. In any case, it was in this dragon's horde, hidden away. I, for one, am pleased to return your property to you sir.


The High Lord of Brindol

"Bofus, you are marvelous! If I should ever lose an item again, I shall know who to put on the job of finding it. You never cease to surprise me and your generosity is second to none. This is simply incredible. Imagine, after all these years that I should become reacquainted with this old pendant!"

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 52/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

Quite a coincidence, eh? Just delicous!! But you're too gracious, My Lord. It's a no-brainer to return this to you, generosity doesn't enter intoit!! I'm sure we're all happy to get your property back to you.
.
Now, we've got some property we'd like to exercise, if you catch my drift--that dragon didn't ONLY have your pendant, what what?? Maybe we can catch each other up on the goings-on this evening over a pint or three, and tomorrow after my friends and I see the Harpwizard we can stimulate your local economy some!!


Male Human Paladin 9 (HP:68/102, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +6 Reflex, +11 Will)
Jarmaath wrote:
"I would like to meet this Killiar Arrowswift. I do not know the elves all that well, and I would look forward to making his acquaintance. I understand that they are formidable warriors. So, what must we do to make them welcome?"

"Well, Lord Jarmaath, the elves of the Tiri Kitor are presently circling the city of Brindol on their giant owls as we speak. They are a serious band of hunters, but I would count yourself fortunate to have them on our side. Their leader, Killian Arrowswift, is a tall elf who smiles little, but takes his job very seriously! I suspect that if he had come to compete in the Bolt and Arrow competition at the Tournament of Heroes that Thordak would not be our reigning champion. If you wish to allow them to land on the towers of your keep, I would be willing to escort them in?"


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 9 (HP: 115/115, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
Mantooth Longbrow wrote:
Jarmaath wrote:
"I would like to meet this Killiar Arrowswift. I do not know the elves all that well, and I would look forward to making his acquaintance. I understand that they are formidable warriors. So, what must we do to make them welcome?"
"Well, Lord Jarmaath, the elves of the Tiri Kitor are presently circling the city of Brindol on their giant owls as we speak. They are a serious band of hunters, but I would count yourself fortunate to have them on our side. Their leader, Killian Arrowswift, is a tall elf who smiles little, but takes his job very seriously! I suspect that if he had come to compete in the Bolt and Arrow competition at the Tournament of Heroes that Thordak would not be our reigning champion. If you wish to allow them to land on the towers of your keep, I would be willing to escort them in?"

Hey! Oi could beat that pointy-ear! Oi beat tha other one... Thordak grumbles.

Turning to Lord Jarmaath, Aye m'lord, Oi spoke with moi clan an' with Othrek himself, an' they're on their way. Oi'm not sure if Othrek'll come himself, but Oi imagine he will. Oi also put our engineers te work on a coupla weapons te add to yer arsenal that Oi designed te fight dragons. We'll need te sequester a coupla spots on yer towers for 'em, but Oi think they'll be right effective. Have we got some clerics about? Tha weapons'll need te be blessed te get through tha dragons' hides...


The High Lord of Brindol
Mantooth wrote:
"If you wish to allow them to land on the towers of your keep, I would be willing to escort them in?"

"If they are out there right now, let us all go up to the high tower and greet them ourselves."

Thordak wrote:
"Aye m'lord, Oi spoke with moi clan an' with Othrek himself, an' they're on their way. Oi'm not sure if Othrek'll come himself, but Oi imagine he will. Oi also put our engineers te work on a coupla weapons te add to yer arsenal that Oi designed te fight dragons. We'll need te sequester a coupla spots on yer towers for 'em, but Oi think they'll be right effective. Have we got some clerics about? Tha weapons'll need te be blessed te get through tha dragons' hides..."

"This is good news indeed, Thordak! Dwarven engineers are known to be the best and if they've been working on tools for our defense, then you bring hope to my heart. I will alert Ulverth and have him tell his men to keep an eye out for the arrival of your clan."

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Thief/9 Init: +12 HP: 52/53 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 15 (19 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

Bofus will make sure that anything strategery-related that Jarmaath needs to know, he knows. AFter the conversation . . .

So, Tirion, shall we be off to see the Wizard? Then we can all do our resupplying, and discuss our next steps?


The High Lord of Brindol
Bofus wrote:
"So, Tirion, shall we be off to see the Wizard? Then we can all do our resupplying, and discuss our next steps?"

"Before you depart, my friends, please come up to the high tower and let's meet these elven friends of yours."

Lord Jarmaath leads you along several hallways and up a spiraling staircase that comes out onto the roof of a great rook. From the top the view of the city and the surrounding countryside is magnificent. Nearby, the elves are soaring the winds on their owls.

"Will they listen to you if you call for them to land?"


Not in use
Lord Kerden Jarmaath wrote:
"My dear Edvard, I do not wish to gain any power over you. I am a former Andoran Knight and I hope to bring justice and peace to this land. I have no desire to control you, but to help you find your place in this world."

Edvard inclines his head to give a nod "I know my place in the world... and at present it should be in the company of your man Manturiel" leaving many things unsaid in reply to the Lord's extension of an olive branch by means of Diplomacy.

DMHW:
FYI - I'm playing Edvard's lack of open-ness and secrecy off dealings with the seelie and unseelie court - which went poorly in the past. Knowledge of one's true name, and his history could be twisted into power and influence... at least that's what I'm trying to portray.
So regardless of whether Jarmaath plans to hold it over Edvard, by telling him he increases his exposure as someone else could find out the same information from Jarmaath and then use it against Edvard.


Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

Upon recognizing you and seeing you wave on the high tower of Brindol Keep, Killiar Arrowswift signals for his companions to land their great owls on the tower. Eight other elves land their great raptors and the top of the rook soon begins to feel rather crowded. Killiar dismounts and approaches Lord Kerden Jarmaath and stands there with a grim expression on his face looking at back and forth at both the party and the lord. The silence is awkward, but he does not say anything.


Dungeon Master

Edvard:

I like the way you are playing it. There is a long history of non communication and apathy between the humans and the elves. You are welcome to elaborate on that. Jarmaath is a leader trying to unite and protect his country, but his people do not necessarily have the same diplomacy skills as the Lord himself.


Male Gnome Sorcerer/9 - (HP: 46/46 - AC19;FF16;T17 - F+5;R+6;W+7 - Init+9 - Per+11)

Smiling, as he is want to do, Tirion steps up: Lord Jarmaath, may I present Killar Arrowswift, elven hunter, scout and marksman extraordinaire.

Then moving his hand to bring in the other owls and their riders.
And these great warriors, eyes in the sky if you will, are under his command.

7,351 to 7,400 of 10,635 << first < prev | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Harpwizard’s Heroes of Elsir Vale All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.