Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Harpwizard’s Heroes of Elsir Vale

Game Master GM Harpwizard

Elsir Vale
City of Brindol


1 to 50 of 10,040 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Dungeon Master

In the small city of Brindol, the Starday evening of Rova the 1st, 4710 was the start of a grand celebration. People from all over Elsir Vale had been waiting in great anticipation for many months for the arrival of this night. Caravans and hoards of people were arriving in the city for the event of the year. . . The Elsir Vale Tournament of Heroes.

The evening is filled with the sounds of jubilant cries as crowds roam the street. Considering that every room in every inn of the city is occupied tonight, you count yourselves fortunate to be staying at The Stone Wyvern. You had heard that it was a nice place to stay, but you were taken aback to actually see the actual petrified Wyvern frozen there in time right in the middle of the common room.

After settling into your rooms, you return to the common room at the appointed time of six of the clock, to join the other guests for dinner. After finding a seat and waiting a short while at one of the tables, a friendly gnome with a large white beard enters from the kitchen, stands up on a stool and rings a small bell to get everyones attention. Conversations quiet down to a hush as everyone turns their eyes to the innkeeper.

Friends, competitors, and travellers from afar, it is my great honor to welcome you to my home, the Stone Wyvern. I am Trabalard Yab, the owner of this establishment and I am here to make your stay a most comfortable experience. Before dinner is served, I have a few rules that I would like to share with you. First, the doors to the inn will be staying open until midnight tonight at which time they will be locked. They will be reopened in the morning hour of 6 o’clock. So be sure not to be caught outside after curfew. Secondly, please keep all food and drink here in the common room. We do not have a problem with rats, but we would like to keep it that way. Lastly, we kindly ask that you do not touch the wyvern. This is an actual wyvern that was petrified more than a century ago by a group of adventurers who were defending local farmers, and we do not want to wake it up! With that said, welcome to the Stone Wyvern and let me know if there is anything that I can do to make your stay a more pleasant one.

The Stone Wyvern

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

A halfling with a cute little rapier on his left hip walks up to the petrified wyvern with a look of wonderment in his eyes. He gets within inches, and makes a very thorough examination; he's obviously very impressed. While he does a complete circuit of the statue, he gives a nod to Trabalard.

So . . . touching this thing might actually wake it up?

The halfling is "being good"--his hands are not straying toward the tempting staute, but if you look closely, you *can* see his fingers twitching.


Dungeon Master

The gnome watches the halfling carefully. Well, I doubt a simple touch could cause it to come alive. After all, it has stood here for many years, but I do worry that some day a spellcaster might show up and restore it to life again. Then we would have a big problem on our hands! You aren't familiar with the arcane arts are you?

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

while they chat, Bofus takes careful note, using Perception if necessary, what kind of . . . decoration the gracious gnome is wearing. Specifically whether he's wearing any jewelry on his right hand
Oh, no--no more than the stories you hear. Nothing like THIS looking up again at the statue in wonderment I'm more into things like puzzling, juryrigging, stuff like that. Magic is beyond me! Man, this thing is remarkable--can I touch it? I really want to feel those scales, the look SO REAL.


Dungeon Master

The gnome does wear a gold wedding band on his finger.

Trabalard blushes in pride at the halfling's appreciation of the stone wyvern. Looking around to see that nobody else is looking, he replies to the halfling, " Well ok, just don't let the other patrons notice. Before you know it, I could get the whole tavern up here trying to take part of Rocky home!

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

Bofus glances about quickly and touches the statue briefly, admiring the detail. Then he extends his hand heartily to the gnome.

Thanks, sir! I'm Bofus, here for the tournament, pleased to meecha!

Bofus attempts to steal the ring and palm it.

Sleight of Hand check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

If he notices the attempt, Bofus will immediately be concilatory:
I was only practicing, you know, warming up. No intentios of KEEPING it, surely, I promise!! this is totally true

if he does not immediately notice the attempt, Bofus will hold the ring for a few moments while they chat further


Dungeon Master

Master Yab extends his hand and offers the halfling a hearty handshake. I am pleased to meet you, Bofus.

Trabalard Yab's Perception Check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Bofus:
It appears that Trabalard Yab did not succeed at noticing your attempt, but you were not successful in acquiring the ring either.

I am honored to have a competitor such as yourself here at the Stone Wyvern. Tell me, my little friend, what event do you plan to compete in?

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
DM Harpwizard wrote:

Master Yab extends his hand and offers the halfling a hearty handshake. I am pleased to meet you, Bofus.

Trabalard Yab's Perception Check 1d20+1

** spoiler omitted **

I am honored to have a competitor such as yourself here at the Stone Wyvern. Tell me, my little friend, what event do you plan to compete in?

My apologies for having forgotten the spoiler tag. :-)

DM:
Since Bofus' folied attempt wasn't noticed, he's not one to give up! He tries to steal the same ring a second time. He's doing so while responding to Master Yab, as he leans in conspiratorially.

Sleight of Hand 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10 I forgot I wasn't wearing armor on the first attempt!

whispers to YapI ain't much of a warrior . . . I'm going for the . . .
If the SoH attempt succeeded, he'll show Yab the ring now. If it did not, he'll just keep on talking anyway
. . . maze of traps!

are you serious?!?! 2 ones in a row?? I think this thing is broken, can I change dice??


Dungeon Master

Bofus:
I have played for months on this and I have never seen two 1's consecutively. I am sure your future rolls will be better :-)

Yab's 2nd Perception Check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

"Hmmm? I see what you are competing at, my little friend. I will have none of that sneaky finger work here in my establishment! I have heard others complain of your clans coming into town, and I paid them no heed. That will teach me to ignore their warnings! I have a mind to send you off to your room without supper, but I fear that the bed, the table and the candle holders are not fastened securely enough to the floor!


Female Half-Elf Wizard/2

Nearby, a blonde half-elven woman with emerald green eyes sits at a nearby table observing the gnome as he makes his announcements. She is stretched far back but apparently un-relaxed in the chair and keeps shifting as to find a comfortable position in which to rest. At the mention of rats her brow furrows and something like a frown appears on her face.

The mention of the wyvern elicits another response – she sits up straight in her chair and keenly observes the conversation between the halfling and the gnome.

The ranting of the flustered gnome obviously amuses the young woman.


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 8 (HP: 105/105, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6

A burly man-dwarf with a fine long beard stands up and crosses the tavern. He eyes the Wyvern and raps on it with a knuckle curiously before continuing and sitting himself on a stool near (but not next to) the halfling and the gnome. He scrutinizes both of them suspiciously through his beard and calls for an ale from the bartender.

Perception check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Grhrm Grhrm! Bartender, an ale for me! He takes out a long wooden pipe and lights it while he is waiting.


Dungeon Master

Bofus! Now look what's happening! If you want to be sneaky and win your competition, you better practice a lot more. That long bearded dwarf has just touched the Wyvern! A fine example you are setting.

The kind gnome is obviously getting flustered as things (and rings) are getting out of hand for him.

Hey you, man dwarf! Come over here. Didn't you hear my instructions. No touching the Wyvern!


Male Human 2

An amused man sits at the dinner table chuckling softly as he watches the events unfold; it seems that not many are heeding the gnomes rules in regards to the Wyvern. He grows more hungry be the second after a long days journey and calls out to the gnome How long until dinner is served? I'm starving!


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 8 (HP: 105/105, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:
Hey you, man dwarf! Come over here. Didn't you hear my instructions. No touching the Wyvern!

Magically petrified Wyvern! Posh Tosh! Gnomes and their superstition! The thing sounded hollow anyhow!

(Approaching the gnome, but keeping an eye on the halfling) My name is Thordak, son of Throtgar, Master Trabblebab. I do apologize, I was only curious. At least I'm not trying to steal things! It's a fine specimen in a fine tavern. So how about that ale? He puffs on his pipe and tries to look apologetic.

Diplomacy Check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17

I assume Thordak has observed the confrontation between Bofus and the Gnome with a perception check of 20.


Dungeon Master

Everybody in the common room notices the exchange between the halfling and the gnome.

"The name is Trabalard," the gnome corrects the dwarf. He visibly
relaxes after the dwarf apologizes. I am pleased to make your acquaintance. I am glad you like the Wyvern. Rocky has brought a lot of business into the house, but sometimes it does make me a little nervous, especially around strangers. If you would excuse me a moment, Thordak, there is a gentleman that needs my assistance. Roland at the bar will take care of your ale.

The gnome approaches Matthias Teskerwill, and recognizes him immediately.

Master Teskerwill. . . my how you have grown up. What an honor it is to have you here. If you please, dinner will be served shortly. I am delighted to see you in Brindol again. Do give my regards to your family.

The gnome scurries off to the kitchen.


Male Human 2

Matthias only lets a slight frown flicker across his face at the mention of his family, he did not want to offend the kind words of Tabalard and quickly regained his composure giving a thankful nod before Tabalard returned to the kitchen. His attention now turned to the dwarf and he decided to introduce himself. Why hello there do you mind if I join you in an ale before dinner? I am Matthias Teskerwill Matthias said as he extended his hand.


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 8 (HP: 105/105, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
Matthias Teskerwill wrote:
Why hello there do you mind if I join you in an ale before dinner? I am Matthias Teskerwill Matthias said as he extended his hand.

Thordak stops stroking his beard and meets his handshake. Yes, do join. They call me Thordak, son of Throtgar. Roland, another ale for Master Teskerwill! An what will you be competing in on the morrow?


Male Human Paladin 8 (HP:79/95, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +5 Reflex, +11 Will)

Mantooth, sitting by himself at his table, had been leaning backward in his chair to listen to the gnome's speech. When he finished, he turned around to the opposite direction of the wyvern and quickly scanned the faces of the crowd in the tavern. Catching the eye of the man sitting next to him, the paladin turned to face him and offered out his hand in a friendly gesture. Greetings, sir. The name is Longbrow, Mantooth Longbrow. Are you here for the tournament?


Male Human 2
Thordak son of Throtgar wrote:
Matthias Teskerwill wrote:
Why hello there do you mind if I join you in an ale before dinner? I am Matthias Teskerwill Matthias said as he extended his hand.

Thordak stops stroking his beard and meets his handshake. Yes, do join. They call me Thordak, son of Throtgar. Roland, another ale for Master Teskerwill! An what will you be competing in on the morrow?

Matthias receives the ale and takes a large swig before saying

Thank you, It's a pleasure to meet you, The horse is my specialty I'll be competing in the steeple chase, and what about yourself? he settles into his stool and takes another gulp of ale


Dungeon Master
Mantooth Longbrow wrote:
Catching the eye of the man sitting next to him, the paladin turned to face him and offered out his hand in a friendly gesture. Greetings, sir. The name is Longbrow, Mantooth Longbrow. Are you here for the tournament?

“G...g....greeting sir”, the large man replies with a particularly bad stutter. M...m....my name is Durgin Fortkeep. . . but you can call me D....D....Durgin. I...I...I’m here to compete... w...w...with the sword... h..h...how bout yourself?


Female Half-Elf Wizard/2

Cebrë slips up from the table and walks softly to the statue, holding a mug of something in her left hand. She observes the statue for a few moments as one might observe a piece of art, then takes a sip from her mug. She repeats this a few times with a whimsical smile on her face. Occasionally she cocks her head, squints or rubs the end of her nose.

DMHW:

Cebrë is simply trying to ascertain if this "statue" is a result of a spell.
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 8 (HP: 105/105, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
Matthias Teskerwill wrote:
Thank you, It's a pleasure to meet you, The horse is my specialty I'll be competing in the steeple chase, and what about yourself? he settles into his stool and takes another gulp of ale

I'll be competin' in the archery competition Thordak says, wiping brew from his beard. But I'm really more of a fighter, I just registered too late to get into the Open Melee. Just my luck, it was; I was on the way here and I got stopped by some bandits. I took the skin off a few of 'em with moi axe, lost 'em in the woods. I ran into a couple of 'em later, recognized em, I did! Chased 'em to the river, but they jumped in and got away! Limy buggers! What they didn't know is that river was full o' hellfish! Hraaaaahrahrahraah! Anyways, got delayed an' all the spots were taken! Probably woulda won too!

Thordak takes another drink from his tankard and looks around the tavern again, then turns to Teskerwill.

A lively group we got here. Wot's a matter with the man in the corner? That one that's 'avin' trouble speakin'? An wot's with the elf broad?


Male Human Paladin 8 (HP:79/95, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +5 Reflex, +11 Will)
DM Harpwizard wrote:
“G...g....greeting sir”, the large man replies with a particularly bad stutter. M...m....my name is Durgin Fortkeep. . . but you can call me D....D....Durgin. I...I...I’m here to compete... w...w...with the sword... h..h...how bout yourself?

Mantooth retracted his hand slowly, as Durgin had not shaken it in greeting. Though he was surprised at the man's odd way of speaking, Mantooth did not show it on his face. Instead, he offered a light smile with his response It's nice to meet you Durgin. I'll be competing in the open combat as well. Maybe we'll face one another on the 'morrow. Where do you hail from, Master Fortkeep? Hearing the dwarf growl a question about Durgin, Mantooth glanced in Thordak's direction and quickly raised both his eyebrows as if to say he had certainly did not have an explanation to offer.


Dungeon Master

Cebrë Hath'we:
You are unable to recall seeing the sight of a petrified creature in your own personal experience. From your book knowledge, this seems to fit the description of some transmutation magic. However, what convinces you most is that as you look at the detail of the Wyvern, you are doubtful that any person could have actually hand sculpted this statue from a block of stone.

Mantooth Longbrow wrote:
It's nice to meet you Durgin. I'll be competing in the open combat as well. Maybe we'll face one another on the 'morrow. Where do you hail from, Master Fortkeep?

"S...S...Sorry" the gentle man replies as he offers Mantooth Longbrow his hand. The man has large hands and surprisingly a very strong grip. " I, I, I am from D...D...Drellin's F...F....Ferry. A s....s....small village to the w...w...west...on the D...D...Dawn Way. I have b...b...been pra....pra...practicing. This is m....m....my first t..time at the Tournament. N...N...Norro Wiston wrote m..m..my letter of sp...sp..sponsorship.


Male Human 2
Thordak son of Throtgar wrote:
Matthias Teskerwill wrote:
Thank you, It's a pleasure to meet you, The horse is my specialty I'll be competing in the steeple chase, and what about yourself? he settles into his stool and takes another gulp of ale

I'll be competin' in the archery competition Thordak says, wiping brew from his beard. But I'm really more of a fighter, I just registered too late to get into the Open Melee. Just my luck, it was; I was on the way here and I got stopped by some bandits. I took the skin off a few of 'em with moi axe, lost 'em in the woods. I ran into a couple of 'em later, recognized em, I did! Chased 'em to the river, but they jumped in and got away! Limy buggers! What they didn't know is that river was full o' hellfish! Hraaaaahrahrahraah! Anyways, got delayed an' all the spots were taken! Probably woulda won too!

Thordak takes another drink from his tankard and looks around the tavern again, then turns to Teskerwill.

A lively group we got here. Wot's a matter with the man in the corner? That one that's 'avin' trouble speakin'? An wot's with the elf broad?

A fighter eh? I used to be in the military myself, here in Brindol actually, dealt with a good deal of bandits in these parts. They are a nasty bunch.

Matthias peered over his shoulder to inspect the man in the corner and then turned to the elf before looking back to Thordak

Perception Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

I'm not sure about the man, but the elf seems very interested in the Wyvern for some reason, I wish you good luck tomorrow in your competition! The next round of ale is on me

Matthias raises his hand and asks the bartender for another round

another ale for me and my new friend please

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
DM Harpwizard wrote:

Bofus! Now look what's happening! If you want to be sneaky and win your competition, you better practice a lot more. That long bearded dwarf has just touched the Wyvern! A fine example you are setting.

The kind gnome is obviously getting flustered as things (and rings) are getting out of hand for him.

Hey you, man dwarf! Come over here. Didn't you hear my instructions. No touching the Wyvern!

Bofus is clearly embarrassed that he failed--TWICE--and appears abashed as conversation continues. He waits back at his stool, nursing a wine, until the proprieter has a bit of a lull in activity.

Sir . . . please . . . allow me to apologize. I was only honestly warming up--as you can see, I clearly need it! I give you my word that I'd have immediately returned anything that found its way into my hands, and you have my word that nothing shall find its way into my hands while I stay here unless coin is exchanged for it. Can you find it in your hear to forgive me? extends hand, puts on charming smile

even though Bofus is sincere, he's using his "schmoozing" skill since his "sincerity" isn't his strong suit

Bluff check 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Female Half-Elf Wizard/2

Cebrë yawns, walks back to her table, remains standing and proclaims,

When's dinner? I hope this place doesn't serve pixie sized portions!
I'm practically starving. Look!
(while looking down in mock terror at her navel) I believe my bellybutton is about to touch my backbone!

She waits several moments, wipes her mouth on her sleeve, slams her cup down on the table, and with an imitation of a dwarven accent demands,

More ale!


Dungeon Master
The embarrassed halfling wrote:
Sir . . . please . . . allow me to apologize. I was only honestly warming up--as you can see, I clearly need it! I give you my word that I'd have immediately returned anything that found its way into my hands, and you have my word that nothing shall find its way into my hands while I stay here unless coin is exchanged for it. Can you find it in your hear to forgive me?

Master Bofus, you seem to be a friendly enough sort. I am a very trusting person by nature, but I clearly don't get many halflings in my inn. I am willing to give you another chance. However, I will be keeping a close eye on you as well as my things. If I find anything, and I mean anything missing from this inn, I am going to hold you personally responsible. I have no problem sending for Captain Ulverth, Captain of the Brindol Lions to come down and bring you back to his gaol. Now I don't have time right now to tarry about. Perhaps you could do me a favor and entertain my guests with those things that halflings do. Can you do some acrobatics, dancing or something like that? I am afraid that I am already late getting this dinner out. The frantic gnome races back into the kitchen and starts calling to his chef.

DC 10 Perception Check:
You notice that the man at I9 seems to take a particular interest in Bofus' conversation with Trabalard.

In a short while Master Yab, the innkeeper, calls you all to sit down as dinner is about to be served. Bottles of wine are laid on the tables and a large roast boar with an apple stuck in its mouth comes out from the kitchen on a silver platter. A delicious spread of potatoes, carrots and beans comes out with the meal. After everyone has been served a large helping, the gnome gets up on his stool and rings his charming little bell.

I raise my glass in a toast to all of you. May you all have great success in your competition tomorrow and in all of your future endeavors. The gnome drinks.


Male Human Paladin 8 (HP:79/95, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +5 Reflex, +11 Will)
DM Harpwizard wrote:

"S...S...Sorry" the gentle man replies as he offers Mantooth Longbrow his hand. The man has large hands and surprisingly a very strong grip. " I, I, I am from D...D...Drellin's F...F....Ferry. A s....s....small village to the w...w...west...on the D...D...Dawn Way. I have b...b...been pra....pra...practicing. This is m....m....my first t..time at the Tournament. N...N...Norro Wiston wrote m..m..my letter of sp...sp..sponsorship.

Mantooth listens to the man carefully, looking at the man as he speaks. He wonders if his source of stuttering comes from Durgin being nervous or if it appears to be a speech impediment

Perception check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

It'll be a first tournament for both of us, then, Durgin. You've been practicing, though, you say? What weapon do you prefer to wield, sir? Mantooth continued to converse with the man, hoping to find something that Durgin would open up about as he began to eat his freshly served pork.

DMHW:
I have no idea who Norro Wiston is. Should I?
Knowledge of Nobility Check 1d20 ⇒ 2
Like that's going to ring any bells


Dungeon Master
Mantooth Longbrow wrote:
It'll be a first tournament for both of us, then, Durgin. You've been practicing, though, you say? What weapon do you prefer to wield, sir?

I am g..good w..with a sword. I am h...hoping to win the p...purse of g...g....gold f...for the f....farm.

Mantooth:
Although Durgin appears awkward, he seems to genuinely appear to have a speech impediment. You have heard of Drellin's Ferry, but you are not familiar with the name Norro Wiston. He must be someone important in his village.

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
DM Harpwizard wrote:
The embarrassed halfling wrote:
Sir . . . please . . . allow me to apologize. I was only honestly warming up--as you can see, I clearly need it! I give you my word that I'd have immediately returned anything that found its way into my hands, and you have my word that nothing shall find its way into my hands while I stay here unless coin is exchanged for it. Can you find it in your hear to forgive me?

Master Bofus, you seem to be a friendly enough sort. I am a very trusting person by nature, but I clearly don't get many halflings in my inn. I am willing to give you another chance. However, I will be keeping a close eye on you as well as my things. If I find anything, and I mean anything missing from this inn, I am going to hold you personally responsible. I have no problem sending for Captain Ulverth, Captain of the Brindol Lions to come down and bring you back to his gaol. Now I don't have time right now to tarry about. Perhaps you could do me a favor and entertain my guests with those things that halflings do. Can you do some acrobatics, dancing or something like that? I am afraid that I am already late getting this dinner out. The frantic gnome races back into the kitchen and starts calling to his chef.

** spoiler omitted **

result:
Perception check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Bofus will keep an eye on this guy. I don't want to be on the hook for anything another shady character does! What does he look like/wha'ts he equipped with?

very good, I'll see what I can do!
Bofus never performed before, but he'll call attention and perform some suitable acrobatics and sleight of hand (card/coin tricks, stuff like that) to try to keep some of the crowd busy/entertained
Acrobatics check1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Sleight of Hand check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Quote:


In a short while Master Yab, the innkeeper, calls you all to sit down as dinner is about to be served. Bottles of wine are laid on the tables and a large roast boar with an apple stuck in its mouth comes out from the kitchen on a silver platter. A delicious spread of potatoes, carrots and beans comes out with the meal. After everyone has been served a large helping, the gnome gets up on his stool and rings his charming little bell.

I raise my glass in a toast to all of you. May you all have great success in your competition tomorrow and in all of your future endeavors. The gnome drinks.


Dungeon Master

Bofus:
The man at I9 is a Varisian with tatoos on his face and a bandana wrapped around his head. He sits quietly with a drink in his hand quietly observing. He has a rapier attached to his belt. He purposely pretends not to be paying any attention to you or your conversation with Trabalard, but you suspect differently.

If you are inclined to oblige Master Yab's request and perform, I would roleplay it outside of the spoiler. Perhaps get everyone's attention after dinner and do either acrobatics or a sleight of hand, but not both. You may keep or reroll either check.

A large man, one that many of you suspect is a member of the tribal folk from the north, appraoches angrily. His face is covered in a red dye and he looks very intimidating. He walks over to Fortkeep, knocks over the man’s glass and interrupts Mantooth and Durgin’s conversation. Shut your trap and stop yappin about tournament. I will crush both of you t’morrow. He grabs a piece of boar off of Durgin’s plate and sits back down at his own table.

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
DM Harpwizard wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

DM:
OK, let's take a closer look at this guy, under cover of a performance! I'll keep my previous Sleight of Hand result of 22 for a juggling/ledgermain style performance. I'd also like to make a Sense Motive check on the Varisian dude--what is his angle? I'm hoping my doing some public performance might clue me in to whether he's actually caring about ME, or something else.

Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
If I think he's really not on the up & up, I'll attempt a Bluff check to send him a secret message: "Don't take advantage of me, bub!"

Bluff 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Quote:


A large man, one that many of you suspect is a member of the tribal folk from the north, appraoches angrily. His face is covered in a red dye and he looks very intimidating. He walks over to Fortkeep, knocks over the man’s glass and interrupts Mantooth and Durgin’s conversation. Shut your trap and stop yappin about tournament. I will crush both of you t’morrow. He grabs a piece of boar off of Durgin’s plate and sits back down at his own table.

Well, *there's* a friendly fellow! Hey, everyone . . .why don't we lighten the mood a little. You've got a couple of empty plates? And an empty mug?? Normally an empty drinking vessle is a mortal sin, but in this case, it'll allow me to do this! . . . Hey, miss, what's that behind your ear??

The halfling manages to put on a reasonable juggling/sleight of hand show, complete with some coin hiding, shell-games, and other tom-foolerly

The Sleight of Hand performance was a 22 on the skill check, so it's a not-half-bad little impromptu show!


Dungeon Master

Bofus:
The Varisian smiles at you with a sinister grin, and replies silently using some innocent inconspicuous gesture of his hands that you completely understand to mean: Let's hope nothing goes missing. You do not suspect he is out to get you as much as he would like to take advantage of the opportunity that has presented itself.

DC 15 Perception Check for anyone in the room that succeeds at the check:
The Varisian (at I9) and the halfling, Bofus, seem to be communicating with each other with their hands in some strange non verbal language. You cannot understand the meaning at all.


Female Half-Elf Wizard/2

Cebrë watches the scene unfold with amusement.

Perception check =1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
Cebrë Hath'we wrote:

Cebrë watches the scene unfold with amusement.

Perception check =1d20 + 2

the Halfling notices the blonde and winks

My, don't *you* have pretty eyes . . .

As he winds down, he shouts out THREE CHEERS FOR OUR GRACIOUS HOST, MASTER YAB!! DON'T FORGET TO TIP YOUR SERVERS, FOLKS!!

Perception check for above: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


Male Human Paladin 8 (HP:79/95, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +5 Reflex, +11 Will)
DM Harpwizard wrote:
A large man, one that many of you suspect is a member of the tribal folk from the north, appraoches angrily. His face is covered in a red dye and he looks very intimidating. He walks over to Fortkeep, knocks over the man’s glass and interrupts Mantooth and Durgin’s conversation. Shut your trap and stop yappin about tournament. I will crush both of you t’morrow. He grabs a piece of boar off of Durgin’s plate and sits back down at his own table.

Mantooth rose to his feet, moving his gaze back and forth between Durgin's recently soiled table setting to the man responsible. Come now, sir, what was the reason for that? That kind of poor sportsmanship is not necessary, especially before the tournament has even started. Why don't you come over and join Durgin and I?

DMHW:
Diplomacy 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
This is an attempt to get the tribal individual will lighten up
Perception Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Can I use this to see if I can see what Bofus is doing and also to size up at the angry man?


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 8 (HP: 105/105, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6

The elf has the right idea! More ale!

Thordak watches the performance, but is more interested in his boarsteak than the halflings antics. He does, however, keep an eye on him and also on the rude painted man. He does not go cross-eyed, he just alternates where he looks every so often.

Perception check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

@ Teskerwill Who does that punk think he is? Stealing from a stutterer! I oughtta! An what's that halfling up to now? I thought ASL was banned in these parts ever since that sorcerer at the market theater sent out a swarm o' swamp wasps... Pretendin' he was "translatin" for the hearin' impaired! I heard he got tricked, bought a prank staff; turned into a snake an' bit 'im next time he tried to cast sumpin! Guess he was angry eh!? Hrahahahahahaa!

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

I'm assuming that there has been *some* positive reaction to the little show, and maybe even a few more silvers as tips . . .

Once the scene quiets down a bit, Bofus beckons to Master Yab. "A word, good sir?"

DM:
Bofus speaks in a quiet tone, clearly trying not to be overheard. Look, I know we got off on the wrong foot, and frankly, you're quite right to mistrust me, given how I tried to trick you, even if it was in good fun. But I know people, and--don't look yet--that gent over there with the bandana is bad news. He heard you threatening to hold ME responsible for any theft, and he means to take advantage of that. I fear for the safety and possessions of your patrons, your establishment's reputation, and for MY reputation as well. Please, sir, have a care. I beseech you to keep a close eye on ME, so you'll know that I'm completely innocent, but also keep a close eye on HIM too. I'm just mischevous--HE'S a villain, I can feel it in my marrow. I hope my little performance bought me some small measure of goodwill from you; please believe me now!

Diplomacy Check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21 (I'd much rather use Bluff, but I'm not bluffing. Hoping to get some mileage out of the performance maybe?) Edit: Natural 20?!?! SCCCCHHHHHWWWWIIIIINNNNGGGG!!! First one of the campaign!!

I also fully intend to keep an eye on Bandana Boy; I'll follow him if he leaves, shadow his movements in secret, and catch him in whatever act he tries to pull.

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)
Mantooth Longbrow wrote:
DM Harpwizard wrote:
A large man, one that many of you suspect is a member of the tribal folk from the north, appraoches angrily. His face is covered in a red dye and he looks very intimidating. He walks over to Fortkeep, knocks over the man’s glass and interrupts Mantooth and Durgin’s conversation. Shut your trap and stop yappin about tournament. I will crush both of you t’morrow. He grabs a piece of boar off of Durgin’s plate and sits back down at his own table.

Mantooth rose to his feet, moving his gaze back and forth between Durgin's recently soiled table setting to the man responsible. Come now, sir, what was the reason for that? That kind of poor sportsmanship is not necessary, especially before the tournament has even started. Why don't you come over and join Durgin and I?

** spoiler omitted **

Bofus is watching this scene with interest. He's particularly cognizant of anyone who might take advantage of the possible bruhaha!

DM:
does Big Red have any pretty baubles? :-) He's clearly a jerk, and I would have no problems relieving him of anything tasty
Perception Check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


Male Human 2
Thordak son of Throtgar wrote:

The elf has the right idea! More ale!

Thordak watches the performance, but is more interested in his boarsteak than the halflings antics. He does, however, keep an eye on him and also on the rude painted man. He does not go cross-eyed, he just alternates where he looks every so often.

Perception check: 1d20 + 6

@ Teskerwill Who does that punk think he is? Stealing from a stutterer! I oughtta! An what's that halfling up to now? I thought ASL was banned in these parts ever since that sorcerer at the market theater sent out a swarm o' swamp wasps... Pretendin' he was "translatin" for the hearin' impaired! I heard he got tricked, bought a prank staff; turned into a snake an' bit 'im next time he tried to cast sumpin! Guess he was angry eh!? Hrahahahahahaa!

He replies

I've never seen him before, awfully rude though, shouldn't behave like that in public.
He looks over at the man with the painted face and shakes his head disapprovingly

Perception check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

everybody should be concentrating on the tournament tomorrow, not on making a scene.
He remarked to Thordak.


Female Half-Elf Wizard/2
Bofus Beerswizzler wrote:

the Halfling notices the blonde and winks

My, don't *you* have pretty eyes . . .

Cebrë winks at the halfling.

Bofus Beerswizzler wrote:

As he winds down, he shouts out THREE CHEERS FOR OUR GRACIOUS HOST, MASTER YAB!! DON'T FORGET TO TIP YOUR SERVERS, FOLKS!!

Hear hear! A toast to the excellent Mr. Yab, and to all the brave folks competing tomorrow!

Oh dear....it appears my mug is empty again!

Cebrë turns her mug upside down and frowns a few moments before bursting out into laughter.


Dungeon Master
The Amazing Bofus wrote:

Well, *there's* a friendly fellow! Hey, everyone . . .why don't we lighten the mood a little. You've got a couple of empty plates? And an empty mug?? Normally an empty drinking vessle is a mortal sin, but in this case, it'll allow me to do this! . . . Hey, miss, what's that behind your ear??

The halfling manages to put on a reasonable juggling/sleight of hand show, complete with some coin hiding, shell-games, and other tom-foolerly.

The audience really appreciates the performance given by the halfling, Bofus, and a splendid applause is given along with a few whistles and cheers. Nearly every one in the common room was impressed with his pull the coin out of the ear trick.

Bofus:
The deeply concerned halfling wrote:
Once the scene quiets down a bit, Bofus beckons to Master Yab. "A word, good sir?"...Please, sir, have a care. I beseech you to keep a close eye on ME, so you'll know that I'm completely innocent, but also keep a close eye on HIM too. I'm just mischievous--HE'S a villain, I can feel it in my marrow. I hope my little performance bought me some small measure of goodwill from you; please believe me now!

The gnome looks you seriously in the eye, trying to give you the stern eyeball, but then bursts out laughing. ?Well bless me, ? he replies, I may have heard some stories about tricky fingers and halflings, but nobody every told me how charming they can be. Bofus, you are certainly a character I will not soon forget. Your performance was a charming delight and a number of patrons have already come to me and expressed their appreciation for your art. How can I possibly hold a grudge against you? However, I do share your concern for that Varisian. He is a little too quiet for my taste. I have been around the Inn business a long time. In fact I got this place from my father, Yabaling back in . . ., but wait that is another story. Anyway, as I was saying I agree with you, he seems a little too sinister for my taste. Bofus, could you do me a favor and keep an eye on him for me. You do have a gift and I would very much appreciate it if you put it to good use.

Regarding the barbarian, you are unable to notice any baubles. :-)

Mantooth wrote:
Come now, sir, what was the reason for that? That kind of poor sportsmanship is not necessary, especially before the tournament has even started. Why don't you come over and join Durgin and I?

The giant of a man stands up and stares down at you, not quite certain how to react to your words. Finally he speaks, I must be ready for battle! I must have quiet to focus mind. But maybe you be right, Dogar needs more food. The great giant of a man sits back down at your table. You marvel that the chair holds his weight.

The great feast is followed by a large helping of apple cobbler. The tensions seem to have lulled in the common room as guests chat and visit in anticipation of the upcoming events. You are all enjoying the conversation and the atmosphere when suddenly the door flies open and an imposing, highly decorated guard walks into the common room accompanied by two soldiers carrying halberds. You cannot help but notice that he walks with a pronounced limp in his left leg. When he reaches the base of the Wyvern, one of the soldiers beats the base of his halberd against the floor three times to get your attention. When all is silent, the man steps forward and graciously bows low. He then addresses the room in a commanding voice.

I am Captain Ulverth, Commander of the Lion Guard. I come on behalf of the High Lord of Brindol, Kerden Jarmaath. He sends his respects and asks me to graciously invite all of the competitors to attend a ball tonight in your honor in the great hall of Brindol Keep. We are here to accompany you. All I ask is that you bring with you, your letter of sponsorship. We will wait a moment if you need to get them.


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 8 (HP: 105/105, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6

Ooh, sounds like a party! I knew a fella once, always going to some party or another! Very fond of cakes he was; not very bright though...

Thordak finishes his cobbler and gulps the last of his ale down. Wiping his mouth and beard with a cloth, he stands up and makes his way around the table to join the guards.

Good even sirs, Thordak, son of Throtgar here! He proceeds to take out a small comb and run it through his long beard several times.
Well, I'm ready, what about you folks?


Male Human Paladin 8 (HP:79/95, AC: 28, Touch: 16; +10 Fort, +5 Reflex, +11 Will)

Mantooth, after listening carefully to the captain's greeting and invitation, patted Durgin and the barbarian on their shoulders simultaneously. What do you say we see what awaits for us at the competitors' ball, gentlemen?
Diplomacy check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Walking away from his new acquaintances, Mantooth made his way over to stand next to the Dwarf, facing the captain. In his hand was a sealed letter of sponsorship, ready to be shown as needed.


Male Human 2

Just perfect, thought Matthias, just what I wanted to be dealing with, the brindal lions, the night before the tournament. He rolled his eyes and gulped down the rest of his drink before walking over to the guards keeping his head down avoiding the gaze of the men trying to disguise himself.

Disguise check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Andoran

Male Halfling Thief/8 Init: +12 HP: 21/51 AC: 28 Touch: 19; Perception 14 (18 traps; TRAPSPOTTER)
Attacks:
Rapier: +15/+10 (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +2 ench); Bow +14/+9(+1) (+6 BAB, +6 Dex, +1 size, +1 bow/+1 acid arrow)

Bofus takes a moment to survey what's going on. If DMHW requires a Perception check to notice Matthias trying to blend in, here it is
Perception check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
huh, maybe Matthias did a good enough job!

He then jumps up on to the green-eyed half-elven lady's table.

A ball?? Wonderful! I'm not to go without a charming young lady on my arm--shall we, Miss . . . ? Holds out his hand.

DM:
Bofus is also glancing over at Bandana Boy to see his reactions to all this, and also trying to make eye contact with Yab to indicate "sorry, gotta do what I gotta do . . ."


Female Half-Elf Wizard/2

Cebre's eyes widen at the halflings mounting of the table and she claps vigorously at his performance, letting out a full, musical laugh.

Just a moment!

She then darts off suddenly and returns in a few minutes with her things.

When she returns her mood has darkened to the polar opposite of her previous one. She mutters,
I hardly have anything to wear to a ball.


Dungeon Master

Captain Lars Ulverth escorts you from the Stone Wyvern at a leisurely pace as he tirelessly limps along and talks much like a tour guide. He points out various buildings along the way.

This here on the left is the Teskerwill Manor. (#14 on map of Brindol) They are one of the founding families of Brindol dating back to the Rhestan days. Their primary interest is horse breeding. Much of their stock of horses have been donated for use by the Brindol Lions. Although their family patriarch, Owen Teskerwill is reluctant to give up their finest horses.

This here is the most distinctive building in Brindol, the Cathedral of Erastril. It is a remarkable sight to see the sunlight enter on the massive stained glass window on the eastern side and then repeat itself later in the day on the western side. (#17)

As we approach the keep you can see a building over the other side. That is the Kaal Manor. You can see that it commands an impressive view of the vale to the east of Brindol. (#13) The Lady Verrasa Kaal is a shrewd merchant who owns more businesses and holds more outstanding markers than anyone else in Brindol. It seems that nearly everybody in Brindol owes the Kaal family something, and for the most part she is content to let those debts hang over their heads.

Here we are approaching the Brindol Keep at the top of the hill. (#18) Although this place has traditionally been the home of the city's ruler, for many years the ruling lord instead dwelt in one of the newer, more luxurious mansions lower down the hill, letting the old keep serve only as a garrison, town hall, and prison. With the start of Lord Jarmaath?s rule, the old tradition has been restore; Jarmaath and his servants now dwell in the keep. The old-timers of Brindol welcomed this return to tradition with open arms, and the younger residents are just happy that someone relatively young is in charge of the city for a change. Lord Jarmaath is one of the best, and best loved, leaders Brindol has ever had.


Man-Dwarf Dwarf Ranger 8 (HP: 105/105, AC: 22, Flat: 19, Touch: 15, +14 Perception(+2 on Stonework/fe/ft) Hunter's Tricks: 6/6
DM Harpwizard wrote:

Captain Lars Ulverth escorts you from the Stone Wyvern at a leisurely pace as he tirelessly limps along and talks much like a tour guide. He points out various buildings along the way.

This here on the left is the Teskerwill Manor.

At the mention of the Teskerwills, Thordak drops back and pulls Matthias to the side.

Whispered to Matthias: Hey, isn't that you? What's this all about? If We're running into trouble I'd like to know!

1 to 50 of 10,040 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Harpwizard’s Heroes of Elsir Vale All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.