Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Fflash's Shackled City Campaign

Game Master DM Fflash

Chapter 5: The Demonskar Legacy
The Demonskar: Vaprak's Voice


1,651 to 1,700 of 4,790 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>

Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 8

I know opinions may vary, but I'd just as soon let the kobolds go before having to guard them, etc. Maybe an ultimatem, and see them to the exit before we continue on. Thoughts?


Male Stonechild Stonechild 4 / Fighter 3/ Cleric 1 (HP 108 AC 28) (Fort 16 Reflex 10 Will 10) alignment LN

do we have a map of the complex? have they identified all the rooms on the map?

Speaking to Elder Nowazi:
Speaking in Celestial
Elder do you understand me?
In Dwarven
Elder do you understand me?


Male Half Elf Rogue 7

I think we should bring the Kobolds with us..Not necessarily bound, but unarmed as guides


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

I am with Nowzai, I have no desire to try and take the kobolds with us and have to worry about guarding them. I honestly believe that the captain just wants to leave, from his point of view this was an awful job, he lost most of his people and his brother betrayed him, I am willing to bet he is going to go as far away from here as possible.

My other other thought is he is a merc, we could offer to pay him to show us around the rest of the complex instead of trying to take him prisoner.


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 4/Order of the Bow Initiate 2/Deepwood Sniper 1
Malcolm Reigns wrote:

I am with Nowzai, I have no desire to try and take the kobolds with us and have to worry about guarding them. I honestly believe that the captain just wants to leave, from his point of view this was an awful job, he lost most of his people and his brother betrayed him, I am willing to bet he is going to go as far away from here as possible.

My other other thought is he is a merc, we could offer to pay him to show us around the rest of the complex instead of trying to take him prisoner.

As long as they leave all of their weapons I'm happy to let them go. I think the captain is the only one with anything left, Nowzai can you tell them we'd like to let them leave, but can only do it if they are unarmed?


Male Stonechild Stonechild 4 / Fighter 3/ Cleric 1 (HP 108 AC 28) (Fort 16 Reflex 10 Will 10) alignment LN

I would prefer to follow Malcolm lead. Once we have the wands we can leave together


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 8

Celestial:
Yes, I speak it.

I'd leave the captain his bow, for defense in the jungle. But the rest will leave disarmed.


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

I am kinda opposed to leaving them with any magic items, his bow included. Letting them leave with any spoils is almost rewarding them for being a part of the killing of the cleric

Just so everyone knows, I speak Dwarven and Undercommon if we ever need to speak in private about anything


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

"If we allow you to leave, are you bringing the spiders with you?"


"Spider things? No, they talk to me brother."


Male Stonechild Stonechild 4 / Fighter 3/ Cleric 1 (HP 108 AC 28) (Fort 16 Reflex 10 Will 10) alignment LN
Nowzai al'Nazari wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

I'd leave the captain his bow, for defense in the jungle. But the rest will leave disarmed.

In celestial:

Elder if we let them leave, do you think they are smart enough to cut the cable and strand us down here


Um, still looking for an answer from you guys ...


Male Stonechild Stonechild 4 / Fighter 3/ Cleric 1 (HP 108 AC 28) (Fort 16 Reflex 10 Will 10) alignment LN

i want to leave together after the wands are found.


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 8

Celestial:
Indeed, they may. I do not trust their absolute compliance and it is wise to keep an eye on them, but unless Epik is going to guard them, we do not have time to waste escorting them about.

To the group...

"That is perfectly valid. Shall we lock them up in a side-room until we are ready to leave together?"


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

"I agree that putting them somewhere until we can leave safely is a good idea"

I am going to go pick up my light that I threw


Gonna assume that you lock them in a storeroom, leave the Captain with his weapons, and enter the rest of the complex from the door by Triel's chambers (the one that Malcolm spiked originally)

If you wish to continue engagement with the Captain in flex time, feel free to do so via using the title The Black Claws

I'll get an update out later this evening for exploration. If you want to do any prep, use items, cast spells, or have anything in your hands other than your main weapons, let me know before I post.


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

I think we were against leaving the Captain any weapons, at least 2 of us were


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

Have we searched all the caves?


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 4/Order of the Bow Initiate 2/Deepwood Sniper 1
Malcolm Reigns wrote:
I think we were against leaving the Captain any weapons, at least 2 of us were

The Black Claws

I'm not happy with any weapons remaining, especially if they are locked up. They either surrender or they don't, and that has always included the laying down of arms. If some of us are concerned they won't survive in the forest, we can discuss returning weapons after they are released...


Male Human Paladin (Oathbound Paladin - Fiends) 8; AC 21, HP 75/88, Fort +16, Ref +10, Will +13, Init +1, Greatsword +14(+9)/+9(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Tracked Resources:
Spells 3/3 1st, 3/3 2nd; 3/3 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 14/17 LoH(4d6), 1/1 DB (+2)

Tie the kobolds up. Do not leave them weapons. We'll come back for them on the way out.


The Black Claws

Draconic:

"Let me be sure I understand this ... I don't attack you, I give you the body of my dead brother, ask leave to move on and you wish to tie us up and leave us in a room without any protection while you go hunt dead things? I understand the people I'm dealing with now. Reinforces my view of humans."

The kobold turns and speaks to Nowzai and finishes with a strange look. He unlimbers his bow and promptly breaks it across his knee, throwing the pieces to the ground, and then does the same with his arrows. The other elites stare at him with their mouths open, tongues hanging out.

"Go now."


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 8

The Black Claws

Nowzai cannot but roll his eyes. "We're not tying them up. Take them to the barracks and bar the door. I will guard the door while the rest of you explore."

Draconic:
"Indeed, you surrendered. And the fact is, you and your elites have been hostile towards us before, leaving us little reason to trust in your benevolence. If a temporary incarceration is more inconveniencing than losing your lives, then your priorities are terribly misplaced."

"You heard me argue for your armed release, and as long as you keep the peace, I will ensure you and yours leave safely. Even the paladin here must honor your surrender. Do we have an understanding?"


The Black Claws

Draconic:
Hostile in response to attack/trespassing, yes. It does make it better that I can't stand humans, but that's for another discussion.

I've met your demands, and we will play nice, for now. If we are left untended too long, I will take matters into my own hands for the safety of my people.

As you escort him into the barracks, he sits on a bed and looks up at you all, steadily appraising you.

Draconic:

I find it amusing that you assumed my death was the option to surrender. I didn't wish to kill you because there's no money in it. In order to assuage you and your friends' skittish nature, I'll give you my word that the Black Claws will never take a contract without ensuring that your band is off limits. Doesn't mean I won't kill you in self-defense, but we won't come looking for you nor will we fight you on behalf of someone else

Apologize for the delay in getting the other notes about the ruins out. Had to do some emergency relocation of stuff yesterday in preparation for the cable dude today. Look for the post later tonight along with an updated exploration map


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

I would like to search the rest of the caves before we leave starting with the room that was empty except for traps, traps always make me curious what they were protecting :)

Perception rolls as needed (Magma has some awesome search rolls as well)

And I wasted a 20 on a search...sad, at least it wasn't 2 like Magma :)

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13


You guys are aware you can take 20 on search rolls, yeah? Just adds time.


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 8

The Black Claws

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Nowzai returns the appraising glance.

Draconic:
"My friends are as minded as a herd of cats, and just as frivolous. I do not wish your deaths, or any other grievance undeserved. But I am older, and they lack the years of patient perspective."

"We are after the wands your former employer stole from Cauldron. As you say, we were once at odds, but now there is no need for conflict. Indeed, if you are a mercenary, what are your rates?"


The Black Claws

The kobold raises his head and cocks an eye ridge. Looking around the room he counts his men and says,

Draconic:

"Depends on what you want us to do. 500 gold per week for guarding a facility or personal bodyguard escort service. We won't travel into human cities. If you want us to go on this raid into the death caverns and help you find the last two wands, it would be 500 gold for the raid plus 30% of what we loot in there. Same rate per day if you want us to go on any other dangerous excursion. We don't attack travelers or conduct banditry or vandalism, not because of any moral obligation, but it draws the attention of the law and we'd rather not do that. Those are my rates."

He pauses for a moment.

"For humans, I charge double."

Spider Caves

Other than the creepy spiders watching you, you don't find anything else in the caves.


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)
DM Fflash wrote:

The Black Claws

Spider Caves

Other than the creepy spiders watching you, you don't find anything else in the caves.

This include us taking 20?


Malcolm Reigns wrote:
DM Fflash wrote:

The Black Claws

Spider Caves

Other than the creepy spiders watching you, you don't find anything else in the caves.

This include us taking 20?

Well, you both rolled a couple 20s, so yes.


Exploring north and leaving Nowzai guarding the kobolds, the party uncovers a ton of unoccupied rooms, once belonging to the Black Claw elite corps.

Armory (north)
Triel's key open's this locked door. Weapon and armor racks line the walls as well as a wine rack with several (17) unopened bottles.

The racks contain 7 longswords, 7 rapiers, 11 longbows, 3 suits of studded leather and 6 suits of chainmail.

Appraise DC 15:

The wine bottles are worth around 50-100gp each

Mess Hall
This room is a combination mess hall and lounge.

Office
A plain desk and unremarkable chairs sit in the far end of this room. Several broken chairs are stacked in the corners of the room.

Captain's Chambers
A couple simple beds and an unlocked chest with basic clothing items are in this room. An archery target sits on one wall

Entry Room
This room is empty. It looks like an entrance foyer.

Barracks
Contains a dozen bunks. Not all the beds look lived in.

North Entrance
This room was trapped (but we're going to say that the Captain told you about it, since he would have but I forgot)with small spikes that come out of the floor when the western door is opened. There are hidden balconies accessible by recessed knotted ropes where archers could have good visibility of incoming trespassers from the eastern door.

Prison
This room contains four small cages and sets of arm and leg irons on the walls. The key ring that Triel had accesses the cages and irons.

Torture Chamber
This room contains a desk, a chair, and a strange apparatus that looks like a wooden bed covered with various iron straps and spikes. The device looks uncomfortable.

Unfinished Trap
The rough, unfinished floor of this room seems to be pockmarked with hundreds of tiny holes drilled into the floor. There is no indication as to the purpose of these holes, but it must have taken someone months of mind-numbing work to drill them all.

Disable Device DC 20:

This looks like the trap in the Northern Entrance room above, but no spikes or trigger exist.

Entrance to Caverns
This long room is partially collapsed. The northwestern portion has been destroyed by an ancient lava flow, but two circular lava tubes seem to provide access to the caves beyond.

Map here

And I forgot earlier, you all receive 1,800xp for the fight/traps plus 400 for negotiating with the Black Claws


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 8

Can I determine if the Captain has a particular draconic heritage?

1d1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27

EDIT: Is the dice roller showing you "1d1d20?"


The Black Claws

Nowzai al'Nazari wrote:

Can I determine if the Captain has a particular draconic heritage?

Knowledge (arcana)]1d20+13

EDIT: Is the dice roller showing you "1d1d20?"

Knowledge Arcana DC 25 (your roll):

Now that you look closer, he distinctly has black dragon heritage. He seems closer to the dragon bloodline than most kobolds, perhaps accounting for his increased size and intellect.

Yes to the 1d1d20 question


Male Human Paladin (Oathbound Paladin - Fiends) 8; AC 21, HP 75/88, Fort +16, Ref +10, Will +13, Init +1, Greatsword +14(+9)/+9(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Tracked Resources:
Spells 3/3 1st, 3/3 2nd; 3/3 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 14/17 LoH(4d6), 1/1 DB (+2)

Let's proceed to the area west of the "unfinished trap" room. Dalamus, please confirm there are no active traps in the room.


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

What is the description on the pool room by the captains room?

How about the Gauntlet?

Have we not been in the room with the double doors at the end of the Gauntlet room?

Have we found the Secret door in the Northern Storage Room, North of the Gauntlet or is that a mapping error? Just not sure if that is where the halfling took us when we confronted Triel.

On the bottom right of the map that is blacked out is there a cave across the water?


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

Found some of them. Posting all the rooms here to help us search

Guardroom
This room opens into a wide, oddly shaped room. It is empty except for the arrow slits in the wall allowing you to look into the Gauntlet, below.

The Gauntlet
A long hallway with vaulted 20 foot ceilings is empty from double doors to double doors with the exception of the faintly visible arrows slits on the northern wall (as seen through the southern wall arrow slits)

Storeroom
This room contains two weeks of dried food rations and drinking water stored in large barrels

Barracks
This room contains several bunks. It looks like a dozen people ... or creatures ... could sleep here.

Mess Hall
This room contains a table and several chairs. A cabinet against one wall contains wooden eating utensils, plates, and the like. They don't seem to have seen much use recently.

Wizard's Parlor
This room is a breath of fresh air. While still a little warm, the air is dry and nowhere near as foul in here. A well-made desk sits against the opposite wall, which looks like it has been partially melted by an ancient lava flow. A bookshelf sits against the northern wall, and the room is well lit by a softly glowing continual flame that hangs from a chain set into the ceiling.

Storage
This room has dust markings on the floor like many things were stored here but is currently empty. In casual observance, Dalamus notices a discoloration on the northern wall and finds a secret door there. (marked on map)

Abandoned Webs
The corners of this room are clogged with webbing but a 5-foot-wide, 8 foot tall web-lined tunnel leads to the south.

The Nest
The door to this room is stuck fast with webs as the party discovers once it forces it open. Spiders the size of small dogs skitter away as you push the door open. They watch you with 24 eyes.


Malcolm Reigns wrote:

What is the description on the pool room by the captains room?

How about the Gauntlet?

Have we not been in the room with the double doors at the end of the Gauntlet room?

Have we found the Secret door in the Northern Storage Room, North of the Gauntlet or is that a mapping error? Just not sure if that is where the halfling took us when we confronted Triel.

On the bottom right of the map that is blacked out is there a cave across the water?

Pool: egregious error on my part in map labeling (it's the empty Entry Room listing), but we'll assume that someone sees through the illusionary floor to see the pit full of water in the center of the room. Consider yourselves lucky. Possession arrow now switches to the DM.

Gauntlet: you've only seen it through the arrows slits from the south. You've not been in it, thus you've not been through the double doors, either.

Yes, Dalamus noted the secret door as you went by it. You haven't entered it, yet.

Bottom right of map: the walls disappear into the darkness there, so you can't see beyond the black. May be a cave, may be a passage, may be 5' until the wall.


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

How close did Magma have to be for the wands he was carrying to react to the other wand?

Is the gnoll's cave that the captain said is north of Triel's room, the area north of the Entrance to Caverns marked on the map?


Magma says about 10 feet

Who are you asking? The Captain is back in the southern barracks with Nowzai


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

I was asking you, if needs be I will go ask Nowzia to ask the Captain if the gnoll's cave is inside this complex or outside of it. I wasn't sure if he clarified that for us before

"So the pool is interesting since it was hidden behind trap, though the Captain did say to avoid all water I wonder if he meant this water too or just the demon, I wonder what fun in lurking in this pool. Any thoughts?"

I will also ask the captain about the pool when I go back to ask him about the cave


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 8

The Black Claws

Despite himself, Nowzai smiles at the Captain's rejoinder.

Draconic:
"I see you are not without a sense of humor. I would find your services useful to our current endeavor -- rather have you working for us than against -- but I am afraid my companions would have none of it, given our most recent confrontation. Perhaps after things have settled down."

"I find your heritage a point of interest, however. It is obvious that you share the blood of black dragons, and much more prominently than any lesser kobold. I have never seen the like. It is an hallmark of your strength and cunning. Do you trace your bloodline back to a draconic scion?"


Male Stonechild Stonechild 4 / Fighter 3/ Cleric 1 (HP 108 AC 28) (Fort 16 Reflex 10 Will 10) alignment LN

How is everyone before we face the Gnoll. i am down 31 HP


The Black Claws

The Captain considers Nowzai for a long time, moving about the barracks and checking on his elite kobolds who show an inordinate amount of discipline. He mostly ignores the normal kobolds, the ones he called slaves, and treats them much like one would a dog, with a level of distracted affection, barking orders every so often.

He takes so long to respond that Nowzai begins to feel he won't respond.

Draconic:

"I think I may be interested in helping you given you come up with the money. You all seem to have that "success-oriented" look about you."

"I and my brother are descended of the All-father, directly. I am not certain how he will take the news of my brother's demise. It confounds me."

He fingers the two amulets around his neck, which now look like 2 parts of a whole.

Meanwhile, after about an hour or 2 of exploration, Malcolm returns to get answers to his questions.

Draconic:

"Yes, the water is dangerous... like I said earlier. We don't swim around in it. The gnoll's caves are not outside. I said they were north of the priestess and west of my rooms. There's a crumbled wall in the back of one of the chambers that lead to them. Easy to find."


Male Human Paladin (Oathbound Paladin - Fiends) 8; AC 21, HP 75/88, Fort +16, Ref +10, Will +13, Init +1, Greatsword +14(+9)/+9(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Tracked Resources:
Spells 3/3 1st, 3/3 2nd; 3/3 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 14/17 LoH(4d6), 1/1 DB (+2)

Epik provides one LOH for Magma:

HP=31 + 2d6 + 4 ⇒ 31 + (4, 1) + 4 = 40

Anyone else need healing?


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

I am down 23 hit points if you have a chance Epik. Thanks!


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 8

The Black Claws

Did the Spider have a similar amulet? Does it look at all familiar?

Nowzai repeats the Captain's explanation to Malcolm...


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

"Does he know why that water is dangerous? Is there a creature in it or some sort of a mechanical trap that will cause you to drown or something?"


Nowzai al'Nazari wrote:

The Black Claws

Did the Spider have a similar amulet? Does it look at all familiar?

Nowzai repeats the Captain's explanation to Malcolm...

The Captain took one of the two amulets he's wearing off of the Spider before he gave you his body.

Draconic:

"I don't know how any of the traps really work, I just know how to avoid activating them. This one was simple. Stay on the edges of the room. Don't enter the water."


Male Human Gunslinger lvl 6 (AC 21 / HP 73 / Init +7 / Fort +9 / Ref +12 / Will +6)

Assuming Nowzai relays that "Thank you again for your help, we hope to wrap this up soon so you and your people can leave."

Can we get close enough to the edge of the water for the wands Magma is carrying to sense if there is another wand in the water?

I will relay to the team where the gnoll's cave is


Male Human Paladin (Oathbound Paladin - Fiends) 8; AC 21, HP 75/88, Fort +16, Ref +10, Will +13, Init +1, Greatsword +14(+9)/+9(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Tracked Resources:
Spells 3/3 1st, 3/3 2nd; 3/3 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 14/17 LoH(4d6), 1/1 DB (+2)

2 x LOH for Malcolm:
2d6 + 2d6 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (1, 1) + (4, 2) + 4 + 4 = 16
0 LOH and 2 CLW remaining


The wands don't activate, bit you don't need them to. You can clearly see at the bottom of the water filled pit, perhaps 20 or 30 feet deep ... Hard to tell ... a wand lying there.

1,651 to 1,700 of 4,790 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Fflash's Shackled City Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.