Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion

DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint"

Game Master PirateDevon

Something sinister is happening in Sandpoint and only our heroes can stop it. See what happens when a group loses DM after DM and yet the heroes forge on!


6,351 to 6,394 of 6,394 << first < prev | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | next > last >>

Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

And I am going to secretly add a shot of vodka to a random tankard every third serving, thus invalidating the whole thing.
Because I'm a bastard like that.
Mwahahahahahaha!


The group makes it way out of town and back down by way of the coastal road to Foxglove Manor. Like before the house seems perpetually cloaked in clouds and wind but there is still a sort of lightness to the air from the last time.

Armed with the instructions from Zantus the manor awaits a purification...

To a certain extent we can hand wave this unless there are specific things folks are hoping to check on or accomplish in the house?


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3/UC Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 32/32; Effect:

It feels like there's something else, but I'm good with handwaving and moving along. We've spent a lot of RL time in the manor, it seems.


Male Half Orc Barbarian 4 / Oracle 1, Perception +6, Darkvision, Fort +7/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :59

I am good with it.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

Lets hand wave it for now, if it's not enough, I'm sure we'll be back for it later.


The group heads down to the basement, treading carefully and attempting to avoid the various negative energies that sit idly throughout the house. Being forewarned seems to help as the group experiences no other visions or strange emotions yet the feeling of ominous threat remains as you wind back through the basement and into the caverns below.

The passage of time has not served the area well as undead and living flesh continues to rot. Sadly the gentle sighing of wind that carries air through the cave carries the noxious smells throughout. The group does its best to cover mouths and otherwise stave off the stench as best they can.

As the only party member connected with divine energies Sayniek intones the words from the scroll as Cam sprinkles the festering man shaped fungus that was found in Aldern's hideaway wth the holy water and materials provided by the church. The effect is obvious as the man shaped fungus almost seems to shift and inaudibly scream, a green and brown shadow acting out a cruel pantomime of death. Soon the show is over as the mold turns grey and then to ash, an effect not unlike a slowly moving fire with no heat that consumes the mold along the walls and out into the caverns and surely up into the house above.

More importantly the act seems to carry a "lightness" to it as energetically the group feels somehow less watched or menaced. The gruesome remains of violence are still everywhere to be seen but the group can seem to sense just in their bones that the house itself is no longer a threat.

Are you going to burn it down like the Mayor wanted or leave it for now to deal with some other time?


Female Assimar(Idyllkin) Oracle of Battle/3 - Paladin/2 [HP 56/56; AC27,T13,FF26; F+11,R+6,W+10; Per+7; Init +1]

When she finishes, Sayniek looks at the house.

While this is a place where great evil and horrors took place, I feel than vengeance for what occurred has been done with the destruction of the lich like sentience that perpetrated throughout the home. If you all feel the need to burn this place to the ground, I shall not stop you. However, I do not see the need to do so, and, thus, shall not aid in the burning.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3/UC Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 32/32; Effect:

"I don't think it's necessary. There is a history - a tale to tell - of what went wrong, what led the elder Foxglove to choose his path. I would like to return and study that."

"But there are other tales waiting, so if the group chooses to destroy the manse, so be it."


At this point I am going to assume the party is just Sayniek, Vidar, Cam and Kithian. Cristiel hasn't posted for weeks in any game that I can see. I have PM'd him but we may be down to a cadre of 4. Assume the magus is on patrol with her cousin and we will move on. I'll give the vote to burn a day otherwise I will move on in 24


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

"I would say that it is only fair to allow the one who advocated the burning of said structure the most passionate to be the one to make the final decision."

If that is the case, should we look to recruit new blood? I've grown quite comfortable with the 6 player group.


I will give Cristiel a couple of days to answer , just in case. After that we can look at another round of new blood. I might look at recruiting from other games I am in rather than a full on opening but we can discuss in a couple days. I'm also willing to consider extending invites to players you might know if anyone is in another game and knows somebody...


Female Assimar(Idyllkin) Oracle of Battle/3 - Paladin/2 [HP 56/56; AC27,T13,FF26; F+11,R+6,W+10; Per+7; Init +1]

I am good with 4 or 6. With the current 4, we have decent healing, decent skills. A full arcane caster. A mostly full divine caster (-2 levels). And solid front liners.

I would almost prefer sticking with 4 good posters than trying to get 2 more to fit in. Probably my favorite campaign over the past several years, a campaign that is now almost 4 years old, only has 4 players. <-- DM Devon is in the campaign and it is the most un-optimized group in history.


Hey we are WAY optimized....for getting into trouble. That is about all we are really good at, everything else is luck. As to new blood I think that is why I wouldn't do an open call, I would go looking for folks I know that already have a decent post rate and sustained presence on the boards. We'll see.

With the group sensing that the true threat has passed the decision to burn Foxglove Manor to the ground is tabled for a later date. Even the weather seems to give a subtle nod to the cleansing as the clouds seem to dissipate and the wind dies down to another average day on a seaside bluff.

Moving on to the next objective the group heads back to the coastal road and then along the way to Magnimar. Day settles to evening, and the group camps before making its way to the gates of the city by mid morning. In case forgot to mention it you are all on horses/ponies. Those of you who didn't have one were supplied one on loan from Goblin Squash Stables.

Magnimar. City of Monuments. Where to?


?


Female Assimar(Idyllkin) Oracle of Battle/3 - Paladin/2 [HP 56/56; AC27,T13,FF26; F+11,R+6,W+10; Per+7; Init +1]

Sayniek would look for a chapel to Ragathiel since there are not that many, but a city like Magnimar is likely to have one.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3/UC Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 32/32; Effect:

Camillo will ask around to see if he can locate the townhouse. I don't remember what all was on our list, but there might be some shopping going on for less-available items.

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 Gathering information

He won't give Foxglove's name unless the address itself is insufficient. He'd rather let on that he's been hired to make a delivery from up the coast and he's new to Magnimar. Basically true, in other words.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

"Hmmm, I recommend we find a place to stay first and foremost, a base as such. Afterwards, we can spend the rest of the day pursuing individual goals."


All things are possible in Magnimar as the party remembers. A shrine to Ragathiel is easily found as are accomodations of any desired level. Just let me know what level you want and I will find a place to put you.

Camillo is able to ply his easy smile and likable personality to get directions to one of the nicer sections of they city on the north side and the bard is able to recall that based on where the directions take him, there should be a couple of shortcuts that will get the group to the townhouse faster but, more importantly, unnoticed by most passersby.

Armed with directions the group settles into for the day the bustling city around them creating a promising distraction from the business relating to Foxglove....

Its probably mid afternoon by the time you are all sorted with beds/rooms, finding the Archangel's shrine and pressing flesh and swapping smiles for directions that aren't too obvious. How would you like to handle the rest of the day?


Male Half Orc Barbarian 4 / Oracle 1, Perception +6, Darkvision, Fort +7/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :59

Kithian grins at the others and points back down the street. " I saw a bar back that away! What say we see how tuff these city folk are?"


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

Folding his arms over his chest and drumming the fingers on his left hand against his biceps, Vidar considers for a moment.
"Yes, a few tankards to wash away the road dust might be good idea. Perhaps a bath as well.
Tomorrow we can investigate the town house."


So the drinking twins are drinking. Shocking. Sayniek and Cam anything else for the day?


Female Assimar(Idyllkin) Oracle of Battle/3 - Paladin/2 [HP 56/56; AC27,T13,FF26; F+11,R+6,W+10; Per+7; Init +1]

Not really for Sayniek. Probably polish her armor and sharpen her sword.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3/UC Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 32/32; Effect:

I'm inclined to seek out common accommodations. Clean(ish) and functional, not needing anything fancy.

As for what to do, edit forthcoming...

Camillo will be chatting up locals looking for some general information on: where one might find a vendor of enchanted mithral armor, where one might find enchanted gear in general, and whether there have been any odd goings-on around town. He's going to be asking in roughly the area of the Foxglove townhouse in the belief that he can avoid speaking of Foxglove altogether - things in this neighborhood, which is what he is interested in, are going to be what comes most naturally to mind.

Diplomacy to gather information: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 Jeez, for a roguish bard, my skills are so weak. *sigh*


The night passes with is usual tempo, Kithian and Vidar drink, insult each other, drink, almost fight, drink, actually fight, drink, make passing almost positive statements about each other, drink, and so on.

Sayniek does her best to polish, sharpen and so on preparing herself for the next day.

Cam for his part meets with mixed success. Magnimar is huge and vendors abound trafficking in mithral and magic and he gets the lead on a handful of shops that can meet his needs. (Basically anything you want can be bought so let me know what you buy, lol). As for the opicof "strange doings" stories range in tone and scope but nothing leads back to Foxglove or his neighborhood. The few people who even deign to talk to the usually affable bard about seem completely uninterested in offering anything other than stock talking point about how either the area is getting over run by riff-raff or the rich in the neighborhood need to be brought down a peg or two.

Otherwise the night passes without event andthe group rises, eats their wheaties, and meet to move on. (On to Foxglove's or any other stop before?)


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

As Vidar feels the headache of the previous nights excesses begin to recede, he digs into the heavy breakfast with gusto, serving to sponge up the remaining alcohol in his body, and reducing the headache further.

"Right, I seem to recall that we all agreed to look into the townhouse today, correct?
Does anyone need to do anything before we do, or can we proceed directly after breaking our fast?"


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3/UC Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 32/32; Effect:

Camillo seeks someone that will take his +1 chain shirt in trade for a +1 mithral chain shirt. He is expecting to need to commission it being made unless someone has one already in stock. It appears to me that the price would be 2100 gp - 625 gp or 1475 gp by the book. I don't know what other factors may figure in.

In the morning, Camillo awakens from a pleasant dream of picnics and beaches, meadows and clouds, and is momentarily disoriented to find himself in a strange room. With a sigh, he realizes where he is and why and begins to prepare himself for the day.

By the time he has come down to the common room, the familiar smile and twinkle in his eye have returned.


Male Half Orc Barbarian 4 / Oracle 1, Perception +6, Darkvision, Fort +7/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :59

Kithian stumbles to the table and flops down onto a seat, placing his head on the table. "Ale, and half a pigs butt. Oh and eggs, tell em throw some eggs. Tell em to throw some eggs in there too."


Female Assimar(Idyllkin) Oracle of Battle/3 - Paladin/2 [HP 56/56; AC27,T13,FF26; F+11,R+6,W+10; Per+7; Init +1]

Sayniek, who was at the table talking with the proprietor in her perfectly buffed armor, with her helmet on the chair next to her, smiles as each of her socially challenged companions appear, each in their own uniquely disconcerting manner.

Morning all, I am sure the bright sunny day will do wonders for you all in a while.

After taking another perfectly cut bite of her flapjack, she looks up again.
So, it is the townhouse today. Should be interesting. I wonder what the foppish noble kept in there. Ragathiel is not to keen on breaking and entering, but considering what we know of the boy, I doubt my Lord would consider this research to be unjust.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

Vidar merely waves a fork in an airy circle, dismissing the breaking and entering part.

"Possession is nine tenths of the law, so the deed should certainly prove sufficient warrant for us entering and "researching" as you say.
I do not believe even the finicky Abadarians would find reason to complain in this case."


Male Half Orc Barbarian 4 / Oracle 1, Perception +6, Darkvision, Fort +7/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :59

"We are business for the town of Sandpoint...if that business involves kicking in a few doors, we have done much worse. Where is my ale?"


Female Assimar(Idyllkin) Oracle of Battle/3 - Paladin/2 [HP 56/56; AC27,T13,FF26; F+11,R+6,W+10; Per+7; Init +1]

Saying looks sourly back at Kithian:
It is barely breakfast time and we have a long day ahead of us. I rather doubt that starting on the bottle this early in the morning is wise. If you want to drink with me again this evening, then we can continue our prior competition.

You can almost see a twinkle of mirth in the eyes of the usually serious holy warrior.


Cam no commission, you are good to go. Price looks right to me.

The group continues the conversation as it makes it was to the Grand Arch District, not far from Starsilver Plaza. Even early in the morning the area bustles but Cam's timely research the day before leads the group on some paths less well traveled.

As the group approaches they notice that the three story tall house has had its ground floor windows boarded over and a cursory glance into the small courtyard that serves as a back yard area also shows the back door is boarded over. A pair of guards walk the street but don't seem to notice the group or if they do, don't seem to care that they are looking at things.

The most obvious entrance, of course, is the front door. The day continues around the group as it contemplates its next steps...

How are we going in?


Female Assimar(Idyllkin) Oracle of Battle/3 - Paladin/2 [HP 56/56; AC27,T13,FF26; F+11,R+6,W+10; Per+7; Init +1]

When I was growing up, an old logger came home drunk in my home town one night and his wife refused to let him in. He went out to the garage, got his chainsaw, and cut a new door next to the locked door, which he announced to his wife was his door.

We have two drunk guys in the party, so this might be an option. Not sure about the chainsaw though. Perhaps a flamberge or saw-tooth saber would do the job.


Nah they aren't drunk, they have built up some serious tolerances. Besides I think RAW Kithian could chop the existing door down faster than chopping a new one in the same wall...


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

"Well, it strikes me that if we wanted to do this as painless as possible, we could march over to yon guards, declare our intention to search the manor and provide the relevant documents (possibly with a small bribe for expedience) and have done.
The downside to said plan is that these guards MAY be conscientious enough to require us to go through proper channels, thus costing us a day, at the very least."


Female Assimar(Idyllkin) Oracle of Battle/3 - Paladin/2 [HP 56/56; AC27,T13,FF26; F+11,R+6,W+10; Per+7; Init +1]

Sayniek shrugs:
The papers are official. The guards . . . She glances over at them. Do not appear to be so.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3/UC Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 32/32; Effect:

"Better to distract them from the fine job they are doing. Or enter through a route they don't expect."

What can we tell about these guards? Are they dressed like professionals or did we identify them because they are doing the 'pace' in front of the building? If they are marching back and forth, how far are they ranging back and forth? Is there any visible indication of guards in the back? Is the back reasonably accessible without attracting the guards? Are there second-floor windows that might be opened to allow ingress?

I'm thinking a distraction with a front-door entry is going to have to be timed very well and have limited chance of success. Someone climbing to a back window or using magic to attain same could drop a rope to the others. Of course, the paladin in the group may throw a wrench into any such ideas. To that end...

"Sayniek, what are your thoughts?"


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

"Hmmm, we could distract the guards and take down the door. Unfortunately, they would see the door being down on the return part of their patrol"


Female Assimar(Idyllkin) Oracle of Battle/3 - Paladin/2 [HP 56/56; AC27,T13,FF26; F+11,R+6,W+10; Per+7; Init +1]

Do we have actual documents allowing us to enter/investigate the home? I tried to find any post related to this, but do not seem to be able to find one. I am wondering as it will affect how Sayniek "approves" of going into the home.

While the others are discussing things, Sayniek will attempt to use her Detect Evil ability to determine whether the guards are evil aligned, although she does not expect to detect much from normal humans as their evil natures are usually transient.


No the guards are basically just patrolling that area of the district/street, official Magnimar types they don't even seem to care. (Think local walking patrol) You have approval from the Sheriff and Mayor to look into things but its not like they drafted you an official order. Part of that (some of you may recall) is because the Magnimaran justice system can be a bit intense and/or they assumed it wasn't an issue. I will remind you all that you do have the key to the house and its not like the guards appear to be giving any kind of concern about who is coming or going (assuming folks are not being weird.) I will also remind you that Cam, Kithian and Vidar are actually officially deputized by Hemlock. (Though that would take some time to confirm if it became disputed.) The backyard is relatively secluded (5ft tall wall) but the noise of undoing the planks might be an issue. Someone could climb to the second floor but its broad daylight so...that might be an issue.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

"Well, perhaps we should simply act like we belong. Enough confidence and swagger can usually sell any lie, so I imagine it would sell the truth even better.
Let us proceed, if the guards question us, we show the key and simply say we are here to take inventory, which would hold up even under a lie detection spell."


Female Assimar(Idyllkin) Oracle of Battle/3 - Paladin/2 [HP 56/56; AC27,T13,FF26; F+11,R+6,W+10; Per+7; Init +1]

Sayniek shrugs once more:
We have the key and we have the approval of the officials in Sandpoint. Might not carry much weight here, but it is official and lawful. Lets just open the door and walk in. If anyone questions us, we tell them that we were given the key and asked to investigate the home due to family issues near Sandpoint.

She pauses and thinks for a moment.
Perhaps if we are questioned, it would be best for me to not be present in the conversation. I understand what must be done, but do not think that I would be the best to do it.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 5

"Well, if we need a mild bluff or just friendly conversation to win someone over, master Duin is here to take care of that.
And if strong-arming or veiled threats are needed, master Darlock or myself can see to that."


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3/UC Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 32/32; Effect:

"If they are simply walking a patrol of the block, let's give them time to turn the corner. Perhaps no questions will be necessary."

6,351 to 6,394 of 6,394 << first < prev | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.