Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint"

Game Master PirateDevon

Something sinister is happening in Sandpoint and only our heroes can stop it. See what happens when a group loses DM after DM and yet the heroes forge on!


3,851 to 3,900 of 5,797 << first < prev | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | next > last >>

Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

The rogue nods, "Looking for traps first and foremost, but I'm hoping that creature would have found and disarmed everything while he was stuck in here. Wouldn't seem profitable to set traps if he was locked in here along for a thousand years."


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Kithian pulls himself together, picking up his empty potion bottle and dropped magical longsword before giving Vidar a grin. " Challenge accepted."

He moves off after Toshio and Camillo passing by Rullis, gripping the cleric's shoulder as he passes. "Thanks for the help back there."
The barbarian moves on and takes position near the front.


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerric had been leaning against the wall. He could only shrug when Kithian quipped about Toshio being possessed. He felt exhausted, the lack of rest the past few days it seems has been taking its toll. Seeing the others about ready to continue on, Kerrec says a small prayer to Abadar to give him strength and steels himself for what might be ahead.


Rullis nods as Kithian walks past. "It's the least I could do. I'm just amazed you can take those hits and still keep on fighting." There is a little bit of admiration in his voice as he says this. He then follows the others in.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio looks at his sword. Twice now he had needed magic cast upon it just to hit his foes.
I shall have to get this permanently, enchanted.....


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Kithian smiles and winks at Rullis. "Havent you heard? I am All-That-Is-Man."


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo calls back, "Funny - I thought she said 'Man-Is-That-All'! I must have misunderstood."


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"No, he is just confused. He is unused to being able to hear his own thoughts over the din of all the raucous singing normally going on in there."


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Kithian looks at Camillo in shock. "Hey! That halfling has a big mouth! And yes, Vidar I have my own theme music. Better than what our bard gives us to listen to. Sounds like two stray cats breeding then getting ran over by a wagon."


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo, grinning, turns to the barbarian and bows with a flourish. "It is such a rare pleasure to be recognized in one's own lifetime. You honor me, sir."


The rooms to either side are actually more like closets, and well combed over ones at that. Amid the racks and shelves there surely must have been a variety of wonders to be held, considering the lengths to which the items were stored. All that remains, aside from a few aged pieces of stone and wood (surely containers back in their prime) is a single stone box. A solid square featuring ornate scroll work, the alabaster box is 3 inches to a side and weighs roughly 6 lbs. The lid is obvious but held one with cleverly hidden set of seams designed to let the lid slide off but hold firm were the box to be jostled about say in a bag or backpack.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"Hmmm, being trapped for millenia probably heightened this creatures rage to truly epic proportions, most likely it smashed what was here in the first place.
So why not this box as well?"


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo checks the little container for traps carefully before attempting to pick it up to see if it is simply stuck down. Or an illusion.

"Do you see anything with you magesight? Perhaps it is more than meets the eye."


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"Nothing yet allow me a few more moments to concentrate master Duin."

Vidar detected nothing with his detect magic spell?


No magic no traps. Totally real


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

The rogue will try to open the box, then.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"If there is magic, it is blocked by the box, I have read about such boxes...if it is, I would very much like to examine the box itself before we sell it. An item like that would be worth a small fortune to the right buyers."


It doesn't take long for Camillo to find the pressure point on the lid so that it slides easily along a well worn groove. The top of the box slides off and Camillo sees white, pristine, sand.


Rullis leans in to get a look, then says basically to himself "Why would you keep a box of sand?"

Would Rullis know of any shoreline in this region that would have a beach of clean, white sand like that?

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Knowledge(Geography): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec's eyes widen surprise. "And why would such a creature be binded here to guard it?"

Looking around, "There must be more to this chamber than what we see here."

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Rullis can't think of anywhere nearby with sand that pristine though it was rumored that stretches near Magnimar were that bright hundreds of years ago.

Kerrec sees nothing hidden or otherwise undiscovered.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

If you believe it had value or a secret, should you take it with you?


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

" Maybe it was something else and just turned to sand?"


Rullis ponders for a moment before saying, "Unless its from near Magnimar, but that still wouldn't explain why you'd keep a box of it." Looking over at Vidar, "Could it be used for some kind of magical focus? He seems to be grasping at straws here.

As he looks back, he hums softly and draws on his divine connection...

Cast Detect Magic, focusing on the sand now that the box has been opened. It's a long shot, but thought I'd try.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo pulls a dagger. Carefully, gently, he probes the sand to see if something perhaps is hidden within.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"I can think of three possibilities at the moment, two have already been voiced.
Something that was destroyed, the sand itself holds value for some reason, or it is used to hide something.
Salt can be used to keep certain beings in check, maybe sand can be used to trap some entities as well?"


Rullis' notes nothing magical about the sand.

As Cam inserts the dagger he meets firm resistance on the blade for a second as the blade reaches the bottom. It has scraped against something that isn't sand and isn't the box.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Looking up, "There is something in the sand. Anyone have a bag to pour the sand into in case it is significant? Trying to avoid dumping it on the floor..." Even as he asks, he is looking around for something that might serve the purpose.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"Well, master Darlock has a helmet. It is not like it is currently protecting anything of significant value or use. Unlike his codpiece if you ask his own opinion."


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

If provided with a suitable container (a bag laid flat on the ground would work), Camillo will carefully pour the sand into/onto the container so as not to drop whatever lies within.


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Kithian roars with laughter and slaps vidar on the back. Good one!


Sorry had to leave town and had a sick little one.

Splaying a large sack on the ground, Cam sets the box lid aside. Turning the box over, anxious to capture the sand for future use, the group notes that the sand turns from white to black as it pours onto the sack. Coming to the end of its reserves there is a glint of metal as something falls from the box; a ring of metal on metal twisted together. One strand is of a metal that is almost silver like but more white and the other a golden purple. Both strands meet on the front of the ring forming one half of a circle that features an elaborately faceted purple gem that seems to have a black star at its heart.

As the ring fall from the box and strikes the sand pile, the sand turns white again.


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

What the hells is that?


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec kneels down next to the ring. "Before we touch this ring, I believe it best we use whatever power we have magical or divine to ascertain if it presents any danger."

As Kerrec asks for Abadar's guidance to detect evil, "I will be disappointed if all this trinket does is turn sand from white to black."


LOL

The ring emits no evil.


Digging into his pack, Rullis rummages through the platinum surgical tools he collected yesterday. "Well, it's not magical. But it certainly has magical properties." Finding a clamp, he reaches down and locks them onto the ring and holds it up in the air to inspect it. "Maybe someone in town will know what it is. I wonder if we need the sand to transport it safely."

Do I see any elven writing on it? :)


Actually I will throw this one out since the order of actions is a little unclear, anyone who is running Detect Magic can see this ring is magical, it simply was not detectable when buried in the sand.

Yes there is, in fact, elven writing. It says "Property of S. of M.E. Return for reward. 'Don't mind the eye'" :p


Rullis studies it for longer. Detect Magic concentration, Spellcraft to identify auras.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo watches the casters work, taking note of questions to ask later. I've got to find out what it is they see when they do that.


Moderate Evocation but the function is beyond Rullis' current reckoning.


Rullis hands the ring in the clamp over to Vidar. "A pretty strong magic at that. Looks like made by an Evoker, but I can't make out anything else. Can you read that writing?"


There isn't actually any writing FYI I was just being silly about that part.

GM Screen:

Vidar Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

Vidar:

A ring that emits a shield made of solid force. It can be activated with just a thought and the force itself is strong as steel. The materials used are quite valuable, more so that even the high quality metals and gems featured in most magic items these days. That said there seem to be no other properties than this shielding effect as far as you can determing.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"Let me see...ah, I see. Well, allow me to demonstrate the quite valuable find we have here."

Vidar places the ring on his finger and then activates it to demonstrate its powers.


With a thought the ring springs to life, a slight hum fills the room as Vidar presents a shield made of pure energy. The color is a reddish purple color almost like light and the shield is the same shape as the multi-pointed star that has been featured throughout the complex.


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Seeing that there was no malevolence attached to the ring, Kerrec becomes quite interested when Vidar puts the ring on to demonstrate it's properties.

"That is forged from powerful magics. It would seem to help greatly protect one who is lightly armored like yourself Vidar."


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Kithian grins and shakes his head, never one to pass up an opening."Great, something else he can hide behind. Guess two warriors isn't enough. You know he learned some of those attack spells instead of all the mumbo jumbo ones, he might get in on doing some damage to the big scary monsters also."The half orc laughs and slaps his stomach as he continues. "I mean really, would a fireball or lightning bolt kill ya? "


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Vidar smirks a little as he allows the shield to dissipate and then removes the ring.
"I would contend that it would make more sense to give it to our resident scratching post, it might stop him from constantly napping on the job and leave all the REAL work to his friends."

"As for lightning bolts and fireballs not kiling me, true.
...
But they might kill you..."
Vidar says with a straight face, only allowing a slight twitch of his lips that MAY have been a smile to appear after a full minute of silence.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

The ring, is not that useful to my mind. If a warrior wanted a shield, he would carry one. Though I see the attraction for hiding such a shield. I agree that you should wear it vidar.
Your magic HAS been useful and letting your wizard fall is never a good plan.


Rullis reaches out with his dagger to tap the shield, but Vidar dissipates it before he has a chance. "Interesting, but why did it turn the sand white?"

Darn, I was hoping it was the one ring to rule the runelords...


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"I don't think you fully appreciate the possibilities such a tool offers.
It gives you a shield of force that will automatically wield itself for maximum protection, thus leaving a warrior with TWO free hands, for using two weapons, or a two handed weapon.
Thus you can have a warrior fighting recklessly with maximum damage potential in mind, and yet receive the full benefit of carrying a shield, something normally impossible."

"As for the sand, it is my belief that it was of that colour from the very beginning.
I would like to examine it more, it DID after all block my attempts to scan for magic previously...
But let us leave this place; we have some paperwork and some celebrating to do now."

3,851 to 3,900 of 5,797 << first < prev | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.