Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint"

Game Master PirateDevon

Something sinister is happening in Sandpoint and only our heroes can stop it. See what happens when a group loses DM after DM and yet the heroes forge on!


3,551 to 3,600 of 5,765 << first < prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | next > last >>

Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"Yes, I would lay low odds that a vault is better guarded than the rest of the structure..."


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

"And I suspect if there are any traps to worry about, they would be on an unlocked vault. If it's truly undisturbed, this could be bad. If it's been opened, who knows. Stand back, I don't want my mistake to get someone hurt."

Taking 20 on the search for traps, starting in the area just before the door, then on the door itself. And I think I may have been shorting myself a point on the trap checks because there is one missing in my character sheet. Taking 20 gives him a 27 for Perception or Disable Device checks.


It appears the door is trap free. The lock ,were it intact, is quite elaborate and difficult to open, but long since rusted and broken. Magical traps may have faded and the door is down a corri hidden in the tomb. The creators may have felt the shadows were adequate defense to looters.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo shakes his head in disbelief. He tries to open the door, tension obvious in his shoulders as he prepares to throw himself away from the portal if he's missed something.


MWAAHAHAHAA I got HIM! Camillo will now....*cough cough*

The door opens into a larger chamber and the sight is both breathtaking and depressing in equal measure. The sound of sloshing water fills this room, which has nearly collapsed entirely into a large tide pool. What few walls do remain intact here bear detailed and impressive carvings of incredible treasuries filled to overflowing with coins, gems, jewelry, and other items of value. To the east, the walls depict a carving of a towering mountain, its peak carved in the shape of a stern face just above a great palace. Below, the side of the mountain’s valley cradles an immense city of spires.

In the pool, the remains of what must have once been an incredible
treasury lie in the sloshing waters. shattered urns, crumbled stone chests, rusted bits of once beautiful armor and weapons, and other long-ruined treasures from an ancient past lie below. Most impressive of them all is a large, coral-encrusted helmet sized for a giant; the helm measures nearly five feet across, and its full-face guard bears an expression of twisted rage and fangs. The helm itself appears to be made of gold.

Kno History DC 30 (Not a typo):
the city depicted is legendary Xin-Shalast, a city rumored to be hidden somewhere in the Kodar Mountains. Tales speak of the city as having streets of gold and buildings carved from immense gems, but although countless explorers have sought it (and many have died or vanished), none have ever managed to locate this fabled city. Most scholars agree that it never existed at all, that it was a fictitious location invented by the ancients.


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

"By Abadar's Vault!" Kerrec exclaims. "What treasurers this room must of held."

Kerrec makes his way to the helm, never having seen such a remarkable thing before.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo carefully moves toward the pool, borrowed sword drawn and 'charged' - if it's moving, either it is occupied or connected to the tidewater. Or both.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio enters keeping his sword drawn. That helm, It's value, must be incredible....


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Screw what its worth, immagine the size of the sum batch that wore it!


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Knowledge History; 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

"It is definatly Thassalonian, but I cannot be more exact than that...
Oh for a month in the grand library in Absalom, I must make a sketch of it and research it in Magnimar or korvosa."


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Knowledge: History1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Knowledge: Nobility 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

It certainly predates any study I have made


Rullis keeps vigilant on his watch, monitoring the intersection of passages and listening to the comments coming down the empty halls, the only sign he is not alone down here. His spirit lifts a little with the knowledge that no danger confronted them around this corner.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"The size does seem to indicate a creature of sizable proportions, but it is also likely that said creature was in fact mostly humanoid in form.
Few pieces of lore point to creatures using armour otherwise, and certainly not ceremonial armour, which any armour made out of gold, must be considered to be...unless it is enchanted."

Vidar focuses a fraction of his arcane energies into a simple detect magic incantation.

Casting detect magic


GM Screen:

Cam 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Vidar 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Rullis 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Toshio 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Kithian 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Kerrec 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Cam 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Vidar 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Rullis 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Toshio 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Kithian 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Kerrec 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Praise be to whatever god(s) each of you hold dear that Camillo was wary of the circumstances, for no sooner does Vidar speak his words of power that the giant helm erupts from the water, two vicious man sized claws scrabbling at the bard in an attempt to lift him off his feet. Luckily the claws snap closed mere inches from the bard's face.

All of you are quick to react save for Kithian, obviously too caught up in his musings on the helmet's former bearer. It would seem that a large crab of some kind has taken the helmet up as residence.

I really don't think there is need for a map on this, there is plenty of room to gang up on the thing, just remember that it is large and has reach o certain kinds of movement will get you clawed. Kerrec and Cam are effectively in melee. Kithian and Vidar are threatened by it but are not threatening (having specified they were look around the pool and at the helmet.) Toshio is out of the crab's range and Rullis is down the hall but a move action to walk in the space.

Surprise Round™
Crab ◊
Cam ∙
Kerrec ∙
Vidar ∙
Kithian ∙(Flat Footed)
Toshio ∙
Rullis ∙


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Vidar stumbles back in surprise, but quickly recovers, studying the creature.
5' step back, out of range if possible, and also trying to get closer to Kithian.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

FIGHT!


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo steps to the side five feet to aid a future flank before trying to strike the enormous creature.

Attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec, responding to Vidar as the mage is casting: "I have hard time imagining the helm is nothing more than a flight of artistic fancy. What sort of humanoid grows to be that larg..... Whoahhhhh!!!" The emerging crab cuts off Kerrecs thoughts.

Kerrec also takes a 5' step back (hopefully out of range but will take the AoO if still in range) and fires off a bolt at the crab while trying to avoid its large claws.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (7) + (2) + 2 = 11


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Just to clarify, Camillo did not step back, he stayed adjacent to the crab. He shifted right or left to put himself closer to a future flank once the other warriors gather in close.


Hearing the splash and outbursts from those down the hall and around the corner, Rullis rushes to their aid. Seeing the giant crab thing, he halts and keeps his distance, staying about 20-30 feet back as possible behind everyone else. Sparks crackle between his fingers as he readies himself for battle.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio takes a step to the side for a clear line and shoots the thing.
Ranged Attack-2 Str damage for bow1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 - 2 = 23
Damage1d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

He then drops his Bow, knowing Kithian is a moment off charging it, Quick drawing his Katana, and closes to be if the edge of it's reach (so a 5ft step will put me adjacent next round- I am avoiding an AOO for moving through it's reach.)


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Holy hells! You see the size of that crab?"


The group has good reflexes as the lot of you scrabble for better positions. All of your attacks strike true and the blue green ichor that oozes from the wounds proves that you have, at the very least, wounded the creature.

GM screen:

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
1d6 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
2d6 + 12 ⇒ (6, 2) + 12 = 20

Driven by instinct the crab strikes out, looking to press its surprise. With one claw it strikes out at Camillo smashing hard into the bard with its hardened claw. Cam take 12 With the other claw the crab looks to press its advantage over th large threat found in Kithian. Swinging out, the claw open and grabs the half-Orc up. The blow is hard enough but the crab manages to latch onto the barbarian and starts to squeeze the life from him. Kitian take 20 but subtract 2 for your DR as it was a strike then constrict, so two attacks.

Cam
Kerrec
Vidar
Kithian
Toshio
Rullis


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo takes a devastating blow from the giant crustacean.

He strikes back before tumbling back out of the creature's reach. His player hopes!

Attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Acrobatics to get back out of reach - anywhere but here, please! 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

Whew! Any other time, I would bemoan that 20 not coming on the attack, but I think I will take it this time!

"Agh! Shoot it! Shoot it!"


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec loads another bolt. He aims at the crab's eyes, hoping to kill it or make it let go of Kithian.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (7) + (2) + 2 = 11


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"A Crustacian of EPIC proportions! And I have just the spices for a nice meal."

Vidar retreats another step back and then unleashes his magical wrath on the dull-witted creature.

5' step back followed by Magic missile.
Magic missile: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (4, 2) + 2 = 8


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio steps in and swings hard at the crab, trying to chop through shell.

Attack1d20 + 8 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 8 - 1 = 19
PA Damage 1d8 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 3 = 8


Toshio I'm gonna assume a charge otherwise you will illicit the AoO traversing the first line of threatened squares to close to the crab.

Cam peddles back and rolls away so quickly his sword swipe serves mostly as a feint and finds no purchase against the crab. Aggh! Shoot it! Shoot it!

Kerrec attempts to oblige but the crab is surprisingly robust and well covered in its helmet, add a flailing half-orc and the odds are difficult at best. Kerrec's bolt strike against the helm ineffectually.

Vidar's magic flies true as always and the glass like shards of arcane energy smash into the crabs carapace. There is a kind of gurgled cry from the crab as the newly formed hole in its shell oozes blue/green ichor.

Kithian is up.


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Power attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Damage 2d4 + 9 ⇒ (1, 4) + 9 = 14


Assuming Toshio and Kithian didn't splatter the thing...

Rullis rushes up to Camillo's side, glancing at his wounds as he zaps the crab. "Hang in there Cam."

Lightning Arc - Ranged Touch Attack (w/ Precise, Point Blank): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Possible Electrical Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


I need to modify Kithian's reaction slightly as I don't think I was clear he is currently being grappled so a falchion attack is a no go but say, a throwing axe would be easy to pull out and chop at the thing with and I have noted damage assuming that. Sorry for the confusion

Kithian chops at the crab as he struggles against its grasp and Toshio charges in stabbing at the creature with his sword. Toshio's blade finds a soft spot and is rewarded with blood and a scream but the carapace of the crab rebuffs Kithian's attempts to harm the creature.

Rullis steps forward, leaning down to look over Cam and flings out his hand with the the power of his thunderous god. Lightning arcs towards the crab and arcs around the helmet as the crab offers its unearthly scream again. Despite the display the crab continues to stand.

GM Screen:

1d6 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
1d6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

The crab continues to squeeze the barbarian hoping to drive the half orc under the shallow water but despite the pain, Kithian keeps his feet and stay conscious. Take another 10 from a constrict attack, still grappled.

With its other claw the crab attempts to strike back at Toshio and lands a solid smashing blow against the samurai's sword arm. Take 8 Toshio

Cam
Kerrec
Vidar
Kithian
Toshio
Rullis


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

"Aid Kithian, I will stay out of reach for a moment."

Camillo finally remembers to starts singing, aiding his allies with a combat song about a sea monster ravaging a village and how it was defeated by those defending the town.

He moves backward another step and draws a potion CLW from his belt.


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec sees the life being squeezed out of Kithian and worry begins to truly creep into the paladin's mind. He quickly loads another bolt and asks for Abadar to guide his just hand. Whispering to himself: "Where is your soft spot...."

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 Realized I need to be taking two off for firing into melee.

Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + (5) + 2 = 11

Attack to confrim crit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Damage if Crit confirms: 1d8 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + (5) + 2 = 13


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

That's a truly inspired shot. However, energy damage is not generally doubled on a crit. A burst weapon deals d10 instead, if that's applicable.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Having stored his wand in the backpack, Vidar curses to himself and retrieves it, wondering if he will be too late to do any good.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Even without the extra die Kerrec wraps it up nicely

Kerrec levels the crossbow, Where is your soft spot... and is rewarded for his diligence as the crab turns itself towards the paladin and reveals a soft orb like eye. The bolt looses with the sound of snapping cord and the soft sizzle is barely heard over the din of battle as the magic of the crossbow transfers its electrical charge.

The bolt collides with the eye and the orb explodes in a shower of milk colored viscera. The crab offers another clicking warble as its suddenly seems to find its own weight too much to carry and shudders to the earth releasing Kithian from its slackening claw as it collapses and dies.

The water continues to gently eddy, the blood of the crab bubbled and churned to some unknown destination in the depths of the water. The room is quiet once again save for the creaking, moaning and panting breath of a battle quickly over.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"Well...that was unexpected.
But it may prove to be a blessing tonight, there is enough here to feed an army.
And believe me when I say that crab meat only gets sweeter and more succulent as a crab grows in size..."


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

"OK, ow. Check on Kithian, I can wait."

Since we are not in the crush of battle, Camillo will let Rullis do his thing rather than consuming his potion at this time. He re-places his potion and leans against the wall while he catches his breath.


Rullis rushes forward, grabbing onto the wooden leaf hanging around his neck as he does so. Without even examining the wounds, already knowing Kithian to be in dire straits, begins chanting to himself, channeling the blessings of Gorzeh as he places his other hand over the gaping wound in the Barbarian's side.

Convert Remove Paralysis to Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (6, 8) + 3 = 17

Once we've ensured that the crab thing is not getting back up...

Channel Positive Energy: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 4) = 9


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio sheaths his Katana and retrieves his bow.

Truly a skilled shot, Kerrec. Kithian, are you alright?


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Recorded the healing, I'm good, thanks.

"How much of that monstrosity was helm and how much was crab?"


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Kithian staggers out of the water and his wounds begin to heal as Rullis administer his god's aid. Fine now, thanks Rullis." The half orc grins at his friends and slapps Vidar on the back. damned thing had a crush on me! But seriously, where in the nine hells are we going to find a pot big enough?


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"Well...IF we could get it back to Sandpoint, there is enough of it that we could hold a celebration, commemorating our victory over the foul conspiracy to destroy town.
It might become something of an annual celebration even."


"Whose going to kill the giant crab every year for this annual celebration? And we still need to get this thing back to Sandpoint before the meat goes bad."


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

And through multiple doorways. Unless Vidar has a spell to make Kithian large enough to carry it


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec nods at Toshio recognizing his compliment. Listening to the conversation:

"It would probably be easier to carry in pieces I would think."

Kerrec peers into the water around the crab, checking to see if any other things of value lie in the pool.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


1 person marked this as a favorite.

GM Screen:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

Vidar & Kerrec:

Within the pool you spot the glimmer of a few different coins and the remnants of a few more stone vessels. Its possible there is treasure to be found here in the shallows if you want to spend the next few minutes to "fish" for it.

Vidar:

Now that the crab isn't scuttling around you can see that large sections of the interior of the steel and gold helm are actually bronze. Of course this means the helmet actually had some protective value and is only gold plated. None the less given its size you are confident that if you could get the helm out of the treasury and back to town you could melt down the gold for an easy profit of 2,000 gp and, if one of the smiths is feeling generous, probably sell off the scrap steel and bronze for another 200-300 gp.


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec looks at the others after gazing into the pool. "There seems to be some trinkets left in the pool. Perhaps once we make sure this area under Thistletop is safe, we can salvage what is left from this room."

Kerrec will load another bolt into his crossbow and make ready to leave once the others are ready as well.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"Bronze...
The helmet is only gilded, not solid gold.
But I think if we could somehow get it back to town we could melt it down for a substantial ammount of coin.
We may even get some money from the dross the remains once we get the gold plating removed."

Vidar walks over to the helmet and knocks against the bronze of the helmet.
"It was made with protection in mind, so it was not ceremonial as I first suspected.
Someone must have worn this helmet in ages past."

Vidar tries to make an educated guess as to how large the humanoid that wore it may have been.


GM Screen:

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Vidar:

Having spent most of your studies on either magic or history your mind draws only the general notion that giants or their kin might have worn the helmet but you just can't seem to remember enough about the various groups to make a guess which specific kind might have worn the helmet.

3,551 to 3,600 of 5,765 << first < prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.