Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint"

Game Master PirateDevon

Something sinister is happening in Sandpoint and only our heroes can stop it. See what happens when a group loses DM after DM and yet the heroes forge on!


3,451 to 3,500 of 5,801 << first < prev | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | next > last >>

Will you allow a 5-foot step in addition to a standard action on a surprise round? It seems you can, but it is not clear.

If 5-foot step allowed:
Rullis backs up away from the shadow creature, he immediately grips his wooden leaf and starts chanting. A shimmering magical field surrounds him, hopefully protecting him from these shadowy creatures.

Free Action: 5-foot step to B-4.
Standard Action: Cast Shield of Faith (+2 Deflection to AC)

If not allowed, simply move to B-4.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Rullis, perhaps a knowledge: Religion check to id them?


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

I forget if you can charge in suprise or not. If not Kithian will go full defense.


Knowledge(Religion): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Hmm... Rullis, I hope this does not screw up your plans too much (I don't think it will) but I think Kerrec will be looking to step 5' to B4 so that he keeps line of sight on the Shadows in D4 and B9.

Kerrec shakes his head thinking his eyes are playing tricks on him as the shadows seem to move from the walls. Hearing Toshio yell "Lookout" spurs him into action and he steps back to fire at the creature that was once next to him.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + (6) + 2 = 9


I'll allow the step, charges are special in surprise and are allowed, Rullis where might you go if Kerrec takes B-4?

Rullis:
Shadows. The souls of those who cannot move on usually from some grief or terror stricken demise. Unlike ghosts or other undead a shadow tends to be less intelligent but still capable of great harm. Their touch drains strength and those who die to such wounds risk rising as one in death. Due to their incorporeal natures mundane defenses are ineffective but magical deflection still applies. IMMUNE to nonmagical damage. Someone has the vicious long sword you might remind the group.


Bumping into Kerrec, Rullis finds himself backed into the corner (B-3) instead. Seeing Toshio's arrow fly, Rullis yells, "Don't let these things touch you! If you've got magic, use it! Your arrow won't hurt it."


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo's turn only option is movement...

"It needs to be magical? I can help with that!"

Camillo moves past his friends into the room. "Wait! What are these things?"

Move to B6


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

As he moves, he will ready sword and shield, of course.


Toshio's arrow flies wide as he shouts a wraning to the others. Kerrec steps over to the side and aligns his crossbow to the nearest shadow and fires. The bolt crackles with electricity and the shadow lets out an unnatural echo of anger as the energy and magic of the bolt seemingly tear into its very substance.

Rullis back peddles himself and warns the others of the shadow's touch while Camillo enters the room looking for superior positioning.

GM Screen:

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Init:

Kithian
Toshio
Kerrec
Camillo
Vidar
Rullis
Shadows


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"Yes yes...huh?"
Vidar, initially too invested in his examination of various objects did not fully register the goings on around him at first.
Then the very really insistence of the voices around him penetrated his scholarly reserves and he looks up.

"Seven hells! Can't we even open a door without someone wanting our blood!?!"


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio took the viscious longsword off the Hob. Can't remember if he gave it to anyone. Channel energy would be good ;)


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

I believe Camillo was the only one to say anything, but he can't afford the war of attrition that sword brings at this level or probably ever. It's all yours, as far as I'm concerned..


Camillo has the +1 longsword dosent he?


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Wish I gave it to Kithian now..

Toshio moves foreward into the room, drawing the +1Viscious Longsword? as part of the motion and attacks the Shadow in the south east corner, keeping along the wall to delay a flank from the side.

Two Handed Power Attack1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 1 = 23
Damage1d8 + 4 + 1 + 3 + 2d6 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 1 + 3 + (5, 5) = 22
Damage to Toshio if it hits1d6 ⇒ 1

Whew! Sweet rolls. It was worth it that time


I considered channeling, but I didn't focus on channeling for Rullis so his DC is only 11. Plus last round I couldn't get them all within range. Will probably move and try this round since I'm not next to them and can move.

I don't think anyone stated they claimed the viscious longsword.

Ack, I wrote this last night, but never submitted.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:
Kozaric wrote:

Camillo has the +1 longsword dosent he?

Yeah, the one from the mutated goblin champion under Sandpoint. And he knows it's magical. That's why he rushed into the room when he heard magic was necessary.

Qadira

Male Human Desk Monkey 2/ Logistics Guru 3/ Over-educated 2/Gamer 6

Fyi im in hospital, not super serious but my posting will be delayed.

Qadira

Male Human Desk Monkey 2/ Logistics Guru 3/ Over-educated 2/Gamer 6

Kithian oh Kithian what shall you do with your action...


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Oops! Protection from evil


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec loads his bolt, thankful the magic his crossbow is imbued with works against the shadow creatures. He takes aim at the same creature he injured previously.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + (6) + 2 = 9


With Kerrec and Kithian not moving, and Camillo and Vidar unlikely to interfere, I'll post now and change if necessary.

Stepping in front of Kerrec, ducking to avoid being shot by his crossbow, Rullis slips within range of all the shadows before releasing Gorzeh's fury. A wave of energy washes over the group, and hopefully hurting these dangerous foes.

Move Action: Move to B-5
Standard Action: Channel Positive Energy against Undead (Will Save DC11)
Potential Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 4) = 7

Conditions in Effect:
- Shield of Faith (+2 AC, AC currently 18/14/14) - 29 rounds remain


Kithian utters his prayers and his defenses are heightened against the evil at hand.

Toshio meanwhile moves forward with the wicked serrated sword of the fallen hobgoblin commander. Swinging the blade in a high arc there is menacing hum to the blade as it flies through the air. The hum gives way to a screech, the sound of nails on slate, for but a brief flash of a second as the blade strikes the shadow. Toshio feels an ever so faint "bite" in his hand but the shadow wails in utter agony as its essence turns to smoke and ceases to be. Behind it the sarcophagus, no doubt the tomb of its former body, cracks with a loud *kerACK* as the shadow is sent to the next realm.

Kerrec holds fast and levels the crossbow again. The bolt flies true and strikes the creature center mass. Like before the hiss of lightning obviously pains the shadow but unlike last time the shadow's wail grows in volume and a second *kerACK* and broken tomb proves the shadow is no more.

Cam Cam Cam Caaaaammmm then the wizard. Rullis channels at the end of the lineup and lets see if you guys actually have the audacity to single round my damn encounter.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

This doesn't look like a real danger. I'll save my magic for now.

"You gentlemen have this one in the bag! Rest in peace again what?!"

Holding.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

I'm not clear which shadows have been struck. Camillo will move to B8 and engage the shadow in B9. If that one has discorporated, he will move to B10 and swing at the one in C11 instead.

Camillo moves forward cautiously, enhancing his blade and striking at the nearest creature.

Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Damage 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Confirm? 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Damage 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


If there is only one left (Assuming Camillo eradicates it), Rullis will save his channel for more effective means and instead zap the remaining one.

Lightning Arc (Ranged Touch Attack with Precise/Point-Blank): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Electrical Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


D4 and D9 are gone. Shadows are immune to critical hits. With that being said channel or arc Rullis?


With only two left and seemingly going down easily, Rullis will target the one Camillo hit with his arc.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

I wasn't sure, better to err with extra rolls. Lousy damage for a crit, anyway. :p


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

I am awesome


Stab. Swing. Zot! KerACK!

Another shadow is felled with Camillo and Rulis offering steel and lightning in equal measure. The hall rings with the decaying scream of the shadow and dust lightly fills the room.

Undeterred by the falling of its peers, the remaining shadow flies to Toshio and strikes out with it shadowy limb.

GM Screen:

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
If hit 1d6 ⇒ 3

Toshio proves too slow on his feet and his armor offers no protection against the flickering umbral fingers of the outreached hand. Toshio's skin crawls like ice and his heart beats in utter panic as the samurai's very strength is pulled from his body. 3 Strength (Temp)


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Oh! Damn, I should have stepped in, a magic missile just then might have stopped it dead...(deader?) Well, might as well save it now, it is only one left.
Conserve your strength.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio feels his blood chill as the undead thing saps his vitality, like an animal in defense he lashes out wildly.

2 hand power Attack, Str damage1d20 + 7 - 2 - 1 ⇒ (9) + 7 - 2 - 1 = 13
PA Viscious damage, str damage1d8 + 1 + 3 + 2d6 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 3 + (1, 1) = 8
Viscious Weapon damage to Toshio1d6 ⇒ 3

He then takes a 5ft step back to get some distance away from his foe.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Kithian and Kerrec are up, correct? Or are we waiting for the bard again?


Ah yes, to be clear I need Kithian and then I can narrate his and Toshio's action which will then lead to Kerrec and "the bard" [dunh dunh dunh].


Kithian watches as th others mow down the attackers then looks at his sword. Need me some magic. Rullis, can you make my sword magic?


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec loads another bolt and aims, being careful to not hit Toshio as he fires.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (7) + (4) + 2 = 13


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

I'm not sure what movement is necessary or if Camillo can get into flanking - or at least potential flanking position - with anyone. If he can set up the flank, he will.

Attack w/ Arcane Strike 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Damage 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Not including flanking bonus or sneak attack, of course.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

"Do you want mine, Kithian? It's got magic, and I can make anything I wield magical, if only for a moment.


Glancing over at Kithian, "Yes, but it only lasts for a short time."

I'm kinda waiting to see how things play out here. If Vidar takes doesn't take it down but at least injures it again, I will use my lightning arc to hopefully finish it off. If Vidar doesn't damage it and Kithian is considered to be holding his action, I will move up next to Kithian and cast Magic Weapon on his blade and let him finish it off.


Kerrec will hit but Cam and Toshio will fall short. Vidar?


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Hmmm, I don't want to use a spell in case there are more enemies later, but I have to do something...ah!
Vidar reaches out to put one hand on Kerrec and imbue him with a fraction of his power, boosting the Paladins natural agility.

+2 dex for one round.


Looks like Rullis is already next to Kithiann...

Holding onto his wooden leaf, Rullis reaches out and touches the hilt of Kithian's sword with a quick chant. Magical energies imbue his weapon. (Cast Magic Weapon - 3 minute duration)

"Strike it down!"


I love the enchantment train that just formed. "Our powers combined" and all that. Okay Captain Planet, I mean Volrton, er, I mean Kithain roll me some shadow splattering swordplay.


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Kithian roars as he jumps at the shadow, swinging his blade with all of the strength he can muster.

Power Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Damage: 2d4 + 9 ⇒ (2, 1) + 9 = 12


Don't forget the +1 to damage for the enchantment.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Plus roll to crit


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

They're immune to crits, per the DM, or Camillo would have scored one, too.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Forgot


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Thought you couldn't crit a shadow

3,451 to 3,500 of 5,801 << first < prev | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.