Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint"

Game Master PirateDevon

Something sinister is happening in Sandpoint and only our heroes can stop it. See what happens when a group loses DM after DM and yet the heroes forge on!


3,151 to 3,200 of 5,583 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>

[ooc]Hey that blows!

Rullis is safe, Kerrec hit just fine and Cam is up. Grrr!


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Hmm... OK, the door is closed.

Camillo will sing to initiate his inspire courage for his fellows and sheathe his blade.

An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Feeling Empowerd by Camillo's Inspiration, Toshio Charges the Yeth Hound to the north of Kithan hoping to lend support. Support each other, we'll sever the head.

Inspired Charge PA1d20 + 7 + 2 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 2 + 1 - 1 = 12
Two Hand Power Attack, Inspired1d8 + 4 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 3 + 1 = 9


Shalelu seems genuinely angry for a moment and not at her attackers as she bodily squeezes into Vidar's square and kicks him over to Kithain's starting position thus taking him out of the line of fire. Those of you who speak elvish catch something about arrogant wizards needing to live and a hard to translate concept around an intended "celebration" that would be cut short in death.

Meanwhile Toshio charges into the room hoping to catch the northern hound unawares but finds the beast too nimble on its toes to land a blow.

GM Screen:

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 121d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Toshio:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Kithian:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Nualia responds to Kithian's savagery with a flurry of attacks of her own. Kithian's defenses are more than adequate to turn the woman's blade but her mangled arm proves to be treacherous indeed as she scratches Kithian when the barbarian stalls but for a moment. Kithian take 4

The priestess takes a guarded step along the dias allowing the southern hound to take her place. The hellhound snaps and bites at Kithian but the animals teeth find no purpose.

So too does the northern hound assault Toshio but like its pack mate this hound falls short of finding an opportunity to injure the samurai.

Kithian up. I'll try to get an updated map soon but you can act if you feel like you know the lay of things. FYI you can 5' step and follow her but it will put you in pretty prime flanking territory for the hound come their turn. (assuming she is still standing ;-p)


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Kitian presses the attack on the demon kisser.

Power attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Damage : 2d4 + 9 ⇒ (2, 1) + 9 = 12


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Based on positioning, Kithan took a 5ft step south and the Sth Hound and Nualia have swapped places.

Toshio sees Kithan step to the side to Press Nualia, leaving a gap between the barbarian and Samurai. Toshio 5ft steps to the south, filling the gap and protecting Kithan from being flanked. He is able to reach Nualia, deciding she is the priority, attacks her with an upward thrust.

Two Hand Inspired PA1d20 + 7 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (14) + 7 + 1 - 1 = 21
Damage1d8 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 3 = 15


GM Screen:

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Nualia screams in a mixture of anger and pain as combat is pressed upon her. In the northern room Bruz takes a shot down the hall but it flies wide. He then curses gently and takes cover behind the wall, disappearing from sight. One lone goblin takes the door and offers a shot at Kerrec which manage to find home in a joint between armored plates. Kerrec take 2

Opening the door from the eastern cavelike hallway a larger goblin bearing a pair of knives emerges, painted with bright yellow paint and moving to menace Rullis but stops short seeming to recognize the threat the longspear poses. Hoots and hollers of other goblins can be heard in the darkness beyond but no other goblins emerge.

Cam Listen DC 15:
Goblins approach from behind. They are in that stairway exit you just came from.

Vidar is at full HP.

By the way, the dice gods have been super merciful to Toshio and Kithian if you guys drop the BBG without taking a single hitI am so gonna be pissed ;-P Though maybe you deserve it considering the last boss fight in a temple you had ;-)


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Camillo ad-libs into his song, "We have company coming down the stairs. Be prepared, my friends."

I believe it is Camillo's turn, right? Does the door in question open toward Camillo or away? Is it solid or can he see through it somewhere?


Actually I jumped the gun slightly, the eastern hall goblin should have come after Rullis, Kerrec and Vidar went...so just for ease I will tie them all together Goblin on one init, Nualia on the other....

So Rullis,->Kerrec->Vidar->Cam

Door opens into the room, so away from Cam, it is solid.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Got it, thanks. I'll wait for the others to post, but Cam will pass on the warning as soon as he's aware (and the DM lets him).


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Realizing that getting out of the way of more fire and THEN drinking the potion would have been better, Vidar smirks at his own arrogance.
It's a damn sight lucky I got people minding me or I would not last long.

Vidar moves into the room where Naulia is, hugging the wall to his left, then he levels the wand in his hand and barks out a short arcane command, making the wand spit bolts of force at the fiendish woman.

Magic missile: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 4) + 2 = 7


Oh you are aware now, so no problem with that. It is now known.


Throwing the removed arrow to the ground, Rullis takes his healing wand and touches it to his own injury. The pain subsides as the wound magically closes and heals itself.

Wand of Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 Yes, Gozreh loves me!

With the arrow wound completely closed, his shoulder feeling fine, and even his burnt skin healed, Rullis puts two hands back on his spear and prepares to resume the fight.

But hearing the sounds coming from the door behind him, he turns to face the new threat...

Rullis is at max HP again.


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec barely notices the arrow wound. Seeing the bugbear take cover behind the wall Kerrec is about to pursue when the painted goblin bursts through the doors. Instead he moves five feet back by the wall next to the door to Nualia's room. He loads his crossbow and fires at the painted goblin as Camillo's inspirational voice focuses him on task at hand.

Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (8) + (6) + 3 = 17


I don't think larger painted goblin has come through yet. Devon retracted that since he jumped the gun.

If they have come through already, Rullis will take a 5-foot step away from him, placing 15-feet between him and the new goblin.


I was going to just have all the goblin act in tandem to make it easier to track, so he had stepped through. A 5 foot step would put you back in your original square/in Kerrec's square.


I had moved 10 feet over (see here). So a 5-foot step back would place me five feet from where I was and next to Kerrec.

There is a reason for the madness...


No no no I am sure that you somehow edited that post. How could I be wrong and you right? I read in my DM Manual that isn't supposed to happen...Consider yourself next to, not on top of, Kerrec. ;-p


Just making sure I get that AoO if he wants to get up and personal with me next round. Assuming he survives Kerrec's attack...


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo continues singing to maintain the inspiration while he turns to face the door and readies an action to cast Sleep (Will DC 13 negates) on the goblins he expects to see opening the door. He ad-libs a tune from a popular lullaby in his battle ballad hoping Shelalu recognizes it and figures out his plan. His sword remains sheathed and his shield readied, so he has a hand free and his AC should still be at its normal level.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Kerrec pivots and offer the crosbow to Rullis's aid as some form of champion enters the hall. The hiss and sizzle of the paladin's bolt make short work of the goblin however as a clean strike to the forehead ends whatever malice the goblin had intended.

Vidar takes to the shrine room and speaks words of power as he gestures with his new wand. Missle of magical energy fly unerringly through the air and strike the priestess of Lamashtu wit ha sound not unlike shattering glass. Battered, bruised and now cut Nualia curses out loud.

Shalelu looks over her shoulder and nods at Camillo as the bard chants his song and turns to the doorway expectantly. As Camillo works to finish his spell Shalelu takes a shot at the northern hallway and fells the sole remaining goblin who assaulted from the painted room.

Gm Screen:

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11 Vs. Toshio
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23 Vs Kithian
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 Trip Vs Kithian
2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 2) + 4 = 8

3d8 + 5 ⇒ (6, 3, 4) + 5 = 18

In the shrine Nualia is assualted by Toshio but keeps her feet. Swaying dangerously from injury, she continues to step back, once more taking a step but this time pulling a potion as she moves. Warily she quaffs the potion and some, but not all, of her wounds seem to close and heal.

Meanwhile the hounds split their attention on Toshio and Kithian. The samurai continues to hone his focus and keeps his blade between himself and the hound that means to do him harm thus keeping it at bay. The other hound however finds opportunity in the wilder strikes and strokes of the barbarian and Kithian is brought to the ground with a vicious bite to the calf, the teeth of the hound piercing deep into muscle and the power of its pull upending Kithian onto his back. Fear threatens
to overcome the oracle as the hound somehow projects its very dark essence like venom into its bite. Kithian is prone, takes 8 points of damage and needs to succeed on a DC 13 Wil save (Fear/ Mind Affecting) or be shaken for 1 round. Remember that standing provokes and you are currently threatened (but not flanked) by both hounds.

The bones on the altar spark and flare brightly, taking on a an almost purple and pink flamed hue. Pieces of the bones continue to turn to ash and glow not unlike fiery embers. It will be but a few more seconds, maybe half a minute, before the bones are consumed entirely by the unearthly flame that consumes them.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Vidar curses as the tide of battle shifts in favour of the foes.

For a moment he is undecided on where to aim his arcane wrath.

On one hand Naulia is dangerous, on the other hand Kithian clearly needs aid, plus getting rid of the hounds would free both him and Toshio to finish Naulia.
I wish I could destroy the bones, but magic missiles cannot affect such targets!

In a split seconds decision, Vidar swings the wand to aim at the hound and barks the command word again.

Magic Missile on Kithians hound: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (4, 2) + 2 = 8


Was there anything else coming from behind the fallen painted goblin that Kerrec put down?


Nothing emergent. Its dark but there are voices/cackles/general goblin chicanery, fairly mute though.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Could Toshio reach the bones? Thinking to knock them off the alter and dispupt the ritual.
Or how bad does she look after healing?


Toshio could easily take a protected step and knock them off the altar. Nualia looks fairly rough...but she could probably take a stab or two and stay on her feet if the last few seconds is any indicator.


"Nice shot!" spouts Rullis after the arrow flies over his shoulder and strikes the goblin before him dead. With no further immediate threats coming from that direction, he turns around only to see Kithian pushed to the ground by another one of those foul beasts. "Kithian!" Dropping his spear, he charges towards the alter, drawing that silver dagger once again. When he reaches the beast on top of the barbarian, he trusts the small blade forward, trying to draw the beast away.

Charge, Silver Dagger Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Wil sv: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Well Hells, gota get up if I am going to kick these dogs butts.

Stand up.


Kithian Darlok wrote:

Wil sv: 1d20+2

Well Hells, gota get up if I am going to kick these dogs butts.

Stand up.

I just want to be sure you are clear that standing will provoke AoO on you. You okay with that Kithian?


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Yup, unless I just want to lay around and get docked a days pay for sleepin' on tha job.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Not to mention the flogging that would come from being caught at it.


Shaken, but not stirred Kithian attempts to rise to his feet in an attempt to take back on the hounds that assail him and the samurai. The hounds sensing the vulnerability of the barbarian take the opportunity to snap and bite at the man as he attempts to rise.

GM Screen:

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 (Trip Attempt)
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 (Trip Attempt)
2d6 + 4 ⇒ (4, 2) + 4 = 10
2d6 + 4 ⇒ (5, 5) + 4 = 14

Despite the most valiant efforts Kithian is unable to take to his feet, the struggle to gain footing and rise creating too many moments of a lowered defense. Though Toshio provides some measure of distraction the fury of the hounds combined bite deep into Kithian's arm and leg and hold him on his back, savaging his flesh for the trespass. Kithian takes 24, is once more prone and needs to make 2 DC 13 Wil saves or the shaken effect will continue. My notes have our heroic half-orc at 3 hp. RULLIS --> If you want to change your specified action due to these circumstances, feel free.

The northern doorway continues to be silent, Bruz apparently sticking to cover to wait for something or having otherwise fled back to the northern corridors. From the east a loud deliberation in Goblin penetrates the hallway with apparently some measure of infighting ceasing whatever assault was inteded to follow the champion.

The southern doorway opens with a group of 4 goblins packed into the lower entry looking to come upon the group unawares. Seeing that Camillo is singing but caught for the moment in the door, the goblins are forced to do nothing but look on for a heartbeat as they assess their options.

I've got Rullis, Kerrec, then Vidar, Shalelu Cam then Toshio to wrap the home team this round. Things are taking a turn for the brutal gents, unfortunate but kind of gripping.


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Well that could have went better, had hoped one would have missed at least.

Wil Sv: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Laying on his back again, Kithian swings at the wounded hound.

Power Attack: 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 1 - 4 = 22 Crit!
Confirm Crit: 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 1 - 4 = 9 Dang it

Damage: 2d4 + 9 ⇒ (3, 1) + 9 = 13


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Dont forget that I have DR 1/-.


Mhhm yes so that should be 6 HP then. Yeah I thought I missed with one actually but the penalties for prone (which you are before successfully standing post AoO) are pretty terrible as they rob your AC not DEX. Its a crappy scenario. Somehow I think between the samurai, wizard and cleric the round will turn around thus dashing my dreams of TPK...heh.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio considers knocking the bones.away, but Nualia seems to be transforming into...something. It may be too late. Better to kill her now.
Two Handed Inspired Power Attack1d20 + 7 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 1 - 1 = 25
Damage1d8 + 4 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 1 + 3 = 9

Confirm Crit Two Handed Inspired Power Attack1d20 + 7 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 1 - 1 = 8
Damage1d8 + 4 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 1 + 3 = 16

For my Family!


Looking at the current map, I think it would take me a double move to get there as it is about 40 to 45 feet. So charging and attacking was a better use of my movement. But now that I'm there... Do we have an updated map with the positions of everyone?

Seeing Kithian take another major beating, Rullis looks for an opportunity to step away from the beasts, grab the wand in his off hand, and administer aid to the fallen barbarian without putting himself at risk. (I'm hoping there is such a spot that I can five foot to, be five feet from Kithian but 10 feet from either hound.)

Wand of Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

One of those things I have to constantly verify, but doesn't using a wand avoid provoking the attack of opportunity?

The goblins in the south door triggered my readied action, right?


But if I can get out of the hound's threatened area first... If I can't, I'd probably just attack again as it is not worth taking extra damage just to heal the same amount.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Using the wand doesn't provoke. Drawing it does.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Is it a new round after Vidar missiled the hound?

Seeing the hound still not down and Kithian in trouble, Vidar aims the wand at it again.

Magic missile: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (2, 1) + 2 = 5


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec, seeing that Kithian is under siege, decides to turn his attention that way. Loading his crossbow he shouts to Camillo. "Camillo, we have delayed any sort of flanking maneuver here! I'll hold the portal if you can make it past me into the room!"

He then takes aim at one of the injured hounds.

I don't think Kerrec is within 30' for his point blank shot. Add 1 to the rolls if I am mistaken.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + (3) + 2 = 7


SON OF A B#@!&! THIS DAMN THING ATE MY POST!


GGRRR. Truncated due to irritation:

1. My mapping stuff is messed up. Trying to fix it but maybe we can make due.

2. I will allow a charge with a wand. Wands and Touch attacks make you armed so I say you can run recklessly towards anyone just as good with those things as a weapon.

3. Here is the current layout of the hound fight:

0H0
HKT
0X0
N00

H= Hounds
K= Kithian
T= Toshio
X= Nualia's

Make your choices accordingly.

4. Draw provokes, Use does not, spot on.

5. Vidar your previous posting about missles will hit after Kerrec's declared action.


What's the N on the mini-map?

Well, if I can charge with a wand and use it without an AoO, then I'll charge Kithian (sounds strange) ending up on the side of Toshio away from Nualia and jab him with a wand. See above roll.


Ahh! X is the last position of Nualia, N is her current position (just so folks could be clear how she moved)


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Not to be a pain, but you have a lot of things going on. Camillo is still awaiting a ruling on his readied action.


Ah yes the other thing that got eaten earlier I knew there was something else... Sleep is a one round cast... Invariably it doesn't really matter for them: on their init they open the door, their turn is over and you cast, OR they open the door, you cast, and their turn is over regardless of results. Tecnically speaking you couldn't have readied Sleep as a 1 round cast but I inferred that you began to cast so that you could time your response as best as you could. At the start of your init you may place your template (you can catch all 4) and then act normally...so same net result, technically not a readied action.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Gotcha. That's what I'll do, then - complete the casting it to catch them all on my turn. The rest of my action might depend on whether they succumb to the spell or not.

3,151 to 3,200 of 5,583 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.