Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint"

Game Master PirateDevon

Something sinister is happening in Sandpoint and only our heroes can stop it. See what happens when a group loses DM after DM and yet the heroes forge on!


2,851 to 2,900 of 5,695 << first < prev | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | next > last >>

Vidar:
No. In essence it was arm "3 of 9". Male. Anything else is basically too hard to figure out.

The room certainly wasn't shut up too long ago as the pickle brine has not dried up. It should be noted that other food storage was under lock and key. It was easy enough for a group of rational humans to break in...idiot goblins half your size might well have found the boards and nails a greater challenge.

Camillo finds the western tower is much like the eastern; tall, hatch door to the top level. Most likely the sentries here were the ones that attacked Orik. Camillo does notice the relatively strong smell of pickle brine on the steps of the watchtower landing leading to the hatch above.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

A man of few words, Toshio takes rear guard while the others investigate.
His katana remains sheathed across his back but he can have it out in an instant when the time comes. He instead draws his Bow, testing it's pull and keeping it in hand.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Dm:
Sorry, am I missing something? That did not make sense to me.

"I'm sorry, who? Naulia sounds female, so we have most likely not dealt with her YET.
But do not worry...erm...I am sure the others will soon remedy that situation."


Vidar:
Rullis asked if you could identify who the ring came from and I was saying, no not really it was a bunch of arms hanging from a ceiling. You could tell it was male but that was about it. Sorry for the confusion ;-)

Shalelu winces at Vidar She means some dark act, I believe the very thing she came to get her father's body for. I have only the vaguest sense of time's passage but I know that she was meaning to resolve her efforts in hours not days. We need to get to her.


Rullis shakes his head at Kithian. "I meant, was Vidar able to recognize the dead guy wearing the ring, or was it not possible? I might have known the person."

At Shalelu's comment he says to the larger group, "So, are we done up here? It's time to take this Naulia down. And we need to hurry for Orik's sake as well."


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo comes jogging back down the stairs, smelling slightly of brine. "I have no reason to delay further. Let's go."


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

This Nualia will not survive us. To many among us owe her a blood dept."


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"True, we need to stop her, and we cannot delay too long, but let us more ahead with caution all the same.
I am ready."

Go easy old man, I doubt she is feeling very romantic at the moment anyway, we finish this and once she has recovered, THEN we'll see if she might still want that dinner.


So are you going to the stair to go down or clearing the floor? Whats next?


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

It sounds like we are going downstairs. Did Camillo get a clear picture of which set of stairs the hobgoblin went down?


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Downstairs. Huzzah!


Bugbear went through the northernmost door in the chief's room to go downstairs but the main complex stairs are off the main trophy room/foyer.Choose but choose wisely ;-)


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Right!


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Whatever the barbarian wants!


"With Orik and Shalelu in the shape they are, trying to head down the back passage may just cause the goblins to come up the other side and kill them. Probably heading directly down the main path is best." Rullis turns towards Vidar, "Do you have any magical ways to lock or seal that other door?"

Rullis says a quick prayer in preparation of the coming battle, ready for the barbarian to charge forward towards one of the paths.


Magic aside there is a decent amount of furniture (and a half broken cross bar that would fit a single door) as well as a few planks with nails. If desired the door could certainly be made more difficult to get through.

Shalelu seems to become clearer and clearer headed and more vital over the course of a few minutes. Joining the group as it discusses its plans she coolly appraises Toshio then does not hide that she turns to the bulk of the group. I am well enough that I can carry the man and if need be drop him to skirmish as last resort. I would rather stay on our heels and struggle then sit in some disease ridden corner of this sty waiting for an uncertain outcome.

I should have mentioned (bad bad DM!) that Shalelu is basically also stripped down to hunting leathers (she basically wears tiered layers of leather then a studded shirt normally) and has no gear, shoes, etc.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

"Such a charm lies within my knowledge, and I could research, prepare and cast it today, but it would require me a handfull of hours.
Do we have such time to spare?"


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio shakes his head. When he speaks there is no disrespect in his tone merely cold fact.
Every piece of information we get about this Nualia indicatesshe is hours or less, from completing whatever she is putting together. We do not have the time to sit idle. The Ranger is an adult and knows the risk. If she wishes to come, let her. Meantime, what of those hobgoblins we killed. Thier armor and weapons should do for Shaleu and Orik for now.


Nodding to Shalelu and trying to ignore Vidar's gaze as it runs up and down the elf's body, "Orik doesn't have the time either. We should block one of the doors as best we can and head down the other. Let's see if one of the keys will work on this back door." Rullis will grab the set of keys that unlocked the closet door and will check if they work on the chief's door used by the bugbear.


Shalelu sneers at the bodies of the hobgoblins but nods at Toshio's point and kneels to strip the bodies of gear she can use. "Orik" will need nothing. I will use these weapons. To emphasize she pulls the weapons from the hobgoblins and swings them with skill to "test" them. Lead on.

Shalelu looks to Toshio and speaks in the ringing tones of Tian,

Tian:
One Kaijitsu leaves, another long lost returns. Your arrival is suspicious. Your prudence and apparent goals, welcome. Let us resolve this "Nualia" issue before us so we may speak of such things without burden. (Though accented her Tian is precise and most importantly, formal and respectful in ways that the Western languages sometimes lack.)

If the main stairs are your objective I would like a marching order please. (One at a time)


I'm assuming Rullis and Vidar would be pulling up the rear with Shalelu carrying Orik. I would want to be no more than 25 feet back from the lead person, so 5th or 6th position as farthest back.


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

Me first!

Kithian chuckels and shakes his head after watching the ranger practice with the hobgoblin weapons. "I think she will be just fine. If any thing she can mean them to death."
The barbarian once again takes Reggie by the colar with his left hand and readies his falchion in his right. "Lets find and kill this icehole, I am getting hungry."


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec will go ahead of Rullis.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo is willing to bring up the rear or scout ahead, as the party prefers.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

She is stubborn, or is it just determination? I better watch out for her, she may not admit it, but I doubt she is quite as ready as she thinks yet.
But she is beutiful...

Vidar runs a hand through his thick beard as he ponders.
An interesting language, I shall have to learn it myself...


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio appraises the elf as she swings the hobgolbins sword. At her words he says nothing, merely nods and moves to the front of the line behind Kithan, motioning for Camillo to bring up the rear. They know we're coming, if he get ambushed, the best thing you can do if inspire our sword arms and aid Orik and Shaelu. That armor is somethimg, but not much. Besides, the Barbarian will lilely kill everybody before the rest of us can pull our swords.
Toshio didn't say it, but it would also keep Camillo safer, despite the fact, he was more capable than Toshio had first given him credit for.


So Im looking at:

Kithian
Toshio
Vidar
Kerrec
Rullis
Shalelu/Orik
Camillo

This sound about right?


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo sketches a shallow bow. "Happy to defer to those with a better grasp of tactics." He will carry sword and shield as we proceed.

I'm fine with that order.


Let's do this...


Allright. I am wrestling with the next map a bit but we can do this next part.

The stairway transitions on a switchback 15 feet or so into solid stone. Unlike the patchwork aove the stone is smooth and well worn but obviously master crafted. As Kithian rounds the switch to exit to the next floor he is met not by a door but by a variety of pieces of furniture and a table which apparently have been used to barricade the stairs. Apparently there is an intention to delay you as much as possible to reaching Nualia.


Rullis mutters quietly to the others once he gets a view around the corner, "They already blocked this one for us. Shall we try the other one?"


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

I would have expected better defences from a prepaired enemy. Even one leading goblins.
This Nualia wasn't expecting us and thier defences will be hasty. Camillo would you give this a quick search and let's move past this.

Perception to search for traps1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 4

Such a pain...


Shalelu's voice echoes down the stairwell, They knew you might come but were expecting more time or more awareness. Nualia has beset her areas with challenges, I gleaned this much from their gloating as they beat me. The goblins, on the other hand, allowed their ignorance and pride to rob them of their opportunity to see you coming and you took advantage it would seem. Hopefully Nualia's arrogance will reveal she put too much faith in their ability to stall you.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

"Of course."

Perception vs. Traps 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


Camillo:
Just a bunch of stuff stacked together.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

"Looks to me like the only danger we face here is if this haphazard pile of trash falls on someone."

Does the pile completely block visibility onto the next floor? How many of us can be on the stairs leading up to the pile if we end up firing our bows toward a defender?

Oh, and how was Shalelu able to outfit herself from the dead hobgoblins? If she lacks a bow, Camillo is willing to surrender his. He's not bad, but he's heard stories of her prowess - if push comes to shove, he'd rather she had the bow in her hands in a fight. The only problem is that it has a pretty good pull for a shortbow (+3).


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec scratches his chin thoughtfully. "Perhaps we can use this to our advantage."

Devon, would the table be able to be used as cover as we enter the room? I mean if two people carry it with the others following behind, could it work as a large shield?


Shalelu has a longsword and a bow currently. The draw on Camillo's bow is a little too much for her, especially right now.

The pile is mostly one large table that covers the door but also a bunch of chairs and other furniture like crates, boxes and cages. There is enough junk stacked deep enough you can't see out past it. There is 5 feet of level ground off the steps so only 2 people (1 on the landing, 1 on the steps) will be able to see out the doorway effectively were it cleared out. To Kerrec's question the answer is "yes" but because of the limited space two people maneuvering the table would be sharing a square. Bonus to AC for cover (with partial miss) but you would lose Dex with whoever shared the square.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

"I don't like this. While we are in this deadend looking at this pile of furniture, they could be coming up behind. I'm going back to keep a lookout."

Camillo will move back to the head of the stairs, waiting and listening just inside the closed door.


Rullis follows behind Camillo to head up the stairs and joins him on lookout duty.

"Fresh air... sorta." he mutters.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Toshio begins hastily removing what furniture he needs to so they may slip past and continue onward.


GM Screen:

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

No sounds other than rain and thunder sound through the keep though Shalelu notes that the horses are restless.


Hearing Shalelu's comments and not bothered by the storm, Rullis says quietly to Camillo, "I'm gonna take a peek. Be right back." He moves quickly to the front entrance and cracks the door open enough with one hand to look around outside, his other hand holding onto his spear with the base on the ground.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo tenses, waiting.


Male Human Samurai2 AC 18/11/16, HP 19/19Conditions: Nil, F5/R2/W1+2vs Mind Effecting

Pharlap? Toshio pauses in his work, but is willing to let Rullis check on the horses. His steed was powerful and smart and by appearences so was the other horse. It would take many goblins to trouble those two and Toshio had to trust his horses judgement, he had proven capable so many times already....On second thought. Pharlap was NOT a jittery animal.

Kithan can you take over clearing this? I need to check Pharlap


Male Half-Elf Paladin 3

Kerrec moves to help Kithian. Looking at the table. "What do you think Kithian?", patting the table as he speaks. "This would make a good shield and perhaps a better battering ram if we move into trouble thorugh the door."


Male Half Orc Barbarian 3 / Oracle 1, Perception +5, Darkvision, Fort +6/ Ref +1/ Will +2, Init +4, AC 18, HP :47

" Looks good enough to me." Kithian attempts to pick it up and hold it before him like a body shield.


Rullis peeks out the doors and sees that the horses are standing in the dirt and mud in front of the keep looking somewhat water worn and bedraggled. The new horse roots about aimlessly while Pharlap stands about more attentive though not completely at ease.

When Toshio makes his way upstairs to the door Pharlap turns and gives the samurai a look that is a cross between "just doing my job" and "how much longer am I gonna have to stand here?"

Meanwhile downstairs Kithian is able to get a solid hold on the table but can't move it without a solid push. The other junk is packed tight enough that any attempt to remove the table would not only require some effort but surely send some of the junk tumbling about.

GM Screen:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 8 - 2 = 8

Camillo:

Amidst the whispered conversations down stairs and across the room, you hear a single muffled "thud" of a door coming closed too hard and a short expletive follows. The sound was faint but probably the throne room.


Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2/Rogue 2 AC 21/14/17, hp 25/25; Effect:

Camillo whispers, "Toshio, Rullis - company!" With a grin, he adds, "Bring the horses! Lady Shalelu, come with me - I may need your bow! Vidar, tell the others!"

"Check the throne room, we'll check the other door." He points to the double doors that lead to the throne room, but heads toward the "back way" that opens up at the base of the tower, moving stealthily and motioning for the ranger to do the same.

Stealth 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

DM Devon:
His quick plan is to get to the door below the tower and listen. If he hears something coming, he wants Shalelu by the door to the entry with her bow ready while he will go for the sneak attack on the first foe through the door.

2,851 to 2,900 of 5,695 << first < prev | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Devon's RotRL aka "The Heroes of Sandpoint" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.