Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Deinol's Crypt of the Everflame

Game Master deinol

Crypt of the Everflame by Jason Bulmahn


201 to 250 of 1,047 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human Fighter 3

Anton looks around with satisfaction at the piles of now inert bones littering the floor near his feet.

Anton turns to Santoval - "My uncle used to tell me stories about undead - probably to keep me from doing things he didn't like. I sort of half-believed they were real. Well, as they say, seeing is believing. Don't let it rattle you!" he laughs, slapping the man on the shoulder.

"Artagan, did you have a chance to look at these bodies? Are they people from the village? People we knew?" Anton's face becomes grim.

"And where is that bloody wailing coming from?"

Perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Trying to determine which direction the wailing is coming from.


The two bodies are badly mauled, but you recognize them as Gerol and Vark, both of whom are friends of the mayor. Blood stains and two additional smashed skeletons indicate a terrible struggle took place. A pair of backpacks are strewn about the floor.

backpacks:
One of the packs contains a large pillow and two quivers (each containing 10 blunted arrows). The other pack has 2 days’ worth of rations, a full waterskin, and a pair of smokesticks.

The wailing sound is very faint and intermittent, you have trouble determining its direction.


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Artagan exuberantly exclaims, "Did you see that! Sarenrae came down and smote the skeletons!"

Artagan's brow wrinkles as he looks over the bodies. "Umm, yea... This one is Gerol, and the other Vark. Friends of the mayor. Oh dear, the mayor is going to be so furious. How are we going to explain this if we ever get back?"

Perception to determine the source of the wailing: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Artagan takes a second to listen to the wailing. "This damn crypt echoes everything... it’s hard to make out what or where the wailing is."

After sifting through the two dead townsfolk’s belongings he looks to the others and shrugs, “What should we do now?”

Liberty's Edge

"I think we should assume the Crypt is overrun with undead. We can either charge to the flame as quickly as possible, assume that any villagers who came here are dead, and simply hope for the best...or we can go slowly, destroy the all the undead and pacify the tomb. Personally I want to charge in, destroy everything in our way, get the flame, and come back with a large, organized group from the town."


Male Halfling Oracle/1

"What if there are survivors and we miss them?"

Artagan moves himself in front of Santoval and stares up at him in as a defiant posture a halfling can be.

"What good would it to be to return with the flame and leave this cryp the way it is? The flame would be meaningless as long as Kassen's tomb is in a condition like this. If we are going to return with a large, organized group from the town, then why should we even bother with the flame? Let's leave now." He says, half bluffing and half hoping to antagonize the brutal fighter into wanting to search everywhere. His heart is set on finding any survivors.

"My vote is to search everywhere, high and low, for any survivors. I couldn't go back knowing someone may still be alive in here... We are their best hope for survival."


Male Human Fighter 3

"I'm with Artagan on this one. Let's clean this place out, and see if anyone is still alive. That wailing could be someone who needs our help, or some spirit that should be put to rest. I don't fear the dead, or undead, whichever the case may be."

Besides, those poor folks over there," he motions in the direction of the slain villagers, "they deserve vengeance."

"So which way? Right or left? I say right, since that's the hand I carry my sword in." he says, smirking.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

I agree as well. We need to search this tomb and make sure there are no villagers left trapped here, and destroy the evil that is infesting this holy place.

Liberty's Edge

Watching common sense fly out the entrance to the tomb, Santoval shrugs. "Works for me.", he says as he walks over to the dais to the left, hops up and walks over to the door. Santoval checks the door over for a moment, looking for any obvious traps, then leans up against it and listens while waving at the other members of the party to be quiet for a moment.

Perception: Door trap +2 (Kobold's Neighbor) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Perception: Listen 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Artagan freezes in place, trying to be silent. He watches Santoval closely. His morningstar lifted next to his shield, he waits for the next onslaught. Sarenrae, guide us in this dire time. Please shine your golden light upon us.

Common sense is for commoners! We are HEROES! =)


The eastern door is not trapped. Listening carefully, Santoval can hear the faint wailing comes from beyond the door.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Yarroth casts around the floor to try and see if he can discover any tracks in the dust.

Survival-Tracking: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

Liberty's Edge

"The wailing is coming from beyond this door. I don't hear anything else, and I don't think that the door has any traps or mechanisms, so I think that we should get moving. I assume we want to keep the same order correct?" he asks, motioning for Yarroth and Anton to come over to the door.


Male

Yarroth:
You spot footprints in the dust that indicate someone fled through the eastern doorway. You also notice marks that look like something was dragged through the western doorway.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

"My friends, the tracks indicate that someone ran through this door here, but the western doorway shows signs of someone, or thing, being dragged through."


Male Human Fighter 3

Anton moves near Santoval outside the eastern door. He readies his shield and keeps his sword drawn and ready.

"Yarroth, Santoval, stay close. You can shift behind me when I have my shield up, so if something tries to charge out and attack us, I can take the brunt of it."

Anton tries to slowly open the door, creating as little noise as possible.

Is the door made of wood? Does it have a locking mechanism? If it's unlocked, assume I open the door, and try to see inside.

Perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16


The door opens easily. This large chamber contains a maze of pillars that obscure the far side of the room. Next to the door is a pile of empty saddlebags and three brooms. The intermittent wailing can be heard more clearly now, and seems to be coming from the south eastern corner of the new room.

This room is rather confusingly laid out, but basically you can make your way eastward on either the north or south side of some pillars. It looks there is more to the room north.

It looks something like this, letters and numbers for square references.

# = wall
_ = foor
X = Starting spot

--1.2.34
F ##_#
E #___
D X_#_
C #___
B #_#_
A ####


Male Halfling Oracle/1

"I'm no genius, but judging from the other saddle bags, these probably had the components for a couple traps. At least thats what they were supposed to be doing out here according to the other townsfolk. We should be careful where we step."

Artagan pokes his head in and looks around.

Perception to notice any traps: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


Male Human Fighter 3

Anton moves cautiously to his right about 10 feet, toward the southeastern corner of the room, ignoring the saddlebags near the door for the time being.

Diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 5

"Hello? We're from Kassen! Show yourself!" he says loudly, directing it towards the wailing sound. "If you're hurt, we can help!"


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Yarroth continues to look at the dusty floor, trying to discern which direction the person who ran from the room was travelling.

Survival-Tracking: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22


Yarroth carefully follows the trail twisting around the columns. It leads to a door in a southern alcove. It is locked by some mechanism, but you seen no keyhole. As you crept your way along, you spotted a switch in a nearby alcove.
.
.
.
.
@-@ = trail
# = wall
_ = foor
X = Starting spot
Y = locked door
s = switch

--1.2.3456.78.9
H ##_#_#_##
G #________#
F ##_#_#_##
E #@-@-@-@#
D X@#_#_#-#
C #____@-@#
B #_#s#@#_#
A #####Y###


Male Halfling Oracle/1

I will be visiting some friends over the weekend and probably wont be able to post until Sunday evening. Artagan will just follow the group and maybe add some diplomatic assistance if we find anyone alive here.

Liberty's Edge

"This looks suspicious...do we follow the tracks?"


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Yarroth looks over the alcove where the switch is located. He examines the floor and walls for anything out of the ordinary.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


As Yarroth carefully approaches the alcove with the switch, he notices that the floor of the hallway seems to be loose.
.
.
.
.
.
@-@ = trail
# = wall
_ = foor
X = Starting spot
Y = locked door
s = switch
F = floor plate

--1.2.3456.78.9
H ##_#_#_##
G #________#
F ##_#_#_##
E #@-@-@-@#
D X@#_#_#-#
C #___.F@-@#
B #_#s#@#_#
A #####Y###


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Is there any way to spike the floor so it will not move...or is it more like a pit trap? If that is the case, is there a way to trip it, then move along the side..Hmm..I think I have a new idea for my next level!!!


Most likely a pit. You could try dropping some weight on it, or prod it with a pole. Or backtrack around one of the pillars.

Liberty's Edge

Santoval leans over Yarroth's shoulder. "So what do you think? Should we jump over it? Is there a way to edge around it?


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

"Unfortunately traps and such are not really my area of knowledge. If we had a pole or some weights, like a full backpack or such, then we might be able to trip this trap and see if there is room to edge along the sides to the lever. Do we have any of these things??"


Male Human Fighter 3

Anton looks back to the saddlebags near the door that he previously ignored.

"Would these work, Yarroth?"


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Umm...yeah...those should do the trick. Be careful going back. Make sure you follow the same route we took in. The floor is obviously trapped!"


Male Human Fighter 3

Anton grabs all of the saddlebags, and makes his way carefully along the established tracks.

Do I need to roll a skill check here, or take 10? I'm assuming Yarroth is aware of the trail and is going to keep me from making any dumb moves, but if I need to roll to avoid setting off any other traps, let me know.


Following the trail back is not difficult, no check required.

Anton drops a saddlebag on the suspicious area. A 10 foot square area of the floor drops out. Peering down, the pit appears to have a large pile of pillows at the bottom. You'll need to jump over or go around from the north or the west.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

DO we have at least 10' to make a run and jump? If we do, then I will do so, otherwise I guess we go around.

Acrobatics-Jump: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Liberty's Edge

"Whoops. I forgot that I actually have rope. Hold on a sec..." Santoval rummages through his pack for a moment, then pulls a bundle of rope out, spilling some socks and a white shirt out on the flagstones, which he promptly balls up and shoves back into the pack.

"Let me tie off this rope to this pillar here, and then grab whatever is at the bottom of the pit before we go messing with the switches. Also that will allow us to climb out if we fall in jumping over the pit."

Santoval ties off the rope to the nearest pillar to the north, making sure to stay on the path, then climbs down the rope to the bottom of the pit, taking care to avoid any dangers at the bottom.

Perception: searching the pit 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Anything worthwhile he will grab. Then Santoval will climb back out.


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Artagan peers over the edge as Santoval drops down into the pit. Noticing the pile of pillows he jests, "Now is no time for a nap, Santoval." Not really laughing at his joke, he goes back to searching over the rest of the pit.

Keeping in mind the 30ft dark vision: Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22


Male Human Fighter 3

"I'll tell you what. You spry fellows can go pit jumping if you like, but I'll stay right here when you hit the switch, and tell you if anything happens." Anton grumbles something about armor, and then crosses his arms in front of his chest and waits.


Yarroth easily leaps over the exposed pit. He pulls the switch, but nothing happens. A six seconds later the switch clicks back to its original position.

Santoval finds nothing but pillows in the pit.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

"Hmmm..can someone try to open the door when I throw the switch. Maybe it unlocks it, but we have to push it open."
Yarroth waits until someone is at the door then throws the switch

Liberty's Edge

"Ready...throw the switch!", Santoval says, then tries pushing and pulling at the door in an effort to open it.

Perception: door 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Artagan watches them curiously, trying to stay out of their way. "Let me know if you need my help," he says nervously.


Santoval hears some gears moving in the door when the switch is pulled, but it does not open.


Male Human Fighter 3

"Alright, I know all of you are probably quite a bit more clever than I am, but I can think of a solution to get the door open. It involves a lot of noise, some sweating and swearing, and a whole lot of bashing and smashing. I'll give you a few more minutes to figure it out, then I'm going to try to break it down by force, agreed?" Anton kicks at the ground and paces around in a circle impatiently. Indignantly, he leans up against the wall. "Take your time, I'll be right here."

I really do want to see if you guys have any ideas here, my character is impatient, not me!


Male Halfling Oracle/1

"Maybe there is a way around it? We haven't looked everywhere yet."

Artagan motions back to the way they came and to the different passageways they had left behind to follow the tracks.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Yarroth sighs in frustration. "Maybe there is another way, but we must be careful of further traps. Even if the pits do have pillows, it would still hurt to fall all that way."

Yarroth jumps back over the pit to stand by the door.
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

Liberty's Edge

"I suggest we start by looking through the rest of this room...carefully. This "switch" thing smacks of a simple test of teamwork. I bet if we look around we will figure out what is going on fairly quickly."

Santoval is going to check the remainder of the room. He expects more pillow traps off the path and will be on the lookout for them.

Perception: Traps 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


Male Human Fighter 3

"Alright, we'll try it that way. My offer to dislocate my shoulder trying to open it still stands."

Anton moves to the northeast corner, looking around at the walls. "I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking for." he mutters.

Perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

Liberty's Edge

"I think that it will either be obvious, or we won't find a thing and we will be back to your plan Anton, then Artagan's. I figure as long as you are willing to break your arm, the least I can do is watch" Santoval slaps Anton on the shoulder, a big grin on his face.


To speed this up a bit, I'm just going to abstract it a little.

Artagan's perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Yarroth's perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Artagan's reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Yarroth's reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Artagan's damage (non-lethal): 1d6 ⇒ 5
Yarroth's damage (non-lethal): 1d6 ⇒ 3

After a thorough search of the room, including Artagan and Yarroth stumbling into a pair of pits, you find two more switches in alcoves.

In Yarroth's pit was a small sack, in addition to the pillows. Inside is four platinum pieces and a small scrap of parchment that reads “three to open, but be quick, for the door will only open for those who work together.”

You've now identified where all the pits in the area are and can move around safely.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Ahhh..thanks DM..I figured that it must be a multi-switch system...just was not too sure where all the switches were...lol

Now that all the switches had been located, and all the pits found, Yarroth speaks with his companions. "We need to positions one companion at each switch and on the count of 3 all will throw their switch and then hurry back to the door...which, I hope, will be open!"


Male Human Fighter 3

Perhaps Artagan should wait by the door in case any of us aren't fast enough, and his small size could allow him to squeeze through and open it from the inside? Either that or put the big dumb fighter (me) near the door to try to keep it open! Well, let's just try to throw the switches at the same time and see what happens, I'll keep the description vague so you guys can figure out where you want to be.

Anton takes up his position, and indicates to the rest of the party to do the same at the other switches, and the door. "Desna willing....Alright, on the count of three....1...2...3 - THROW THE SWITCHES, AND RUN FOR IT!"

201 to 250 of 1,047 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Deinol's Crypt of the Everflame All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.