Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Deinol's Crypt of the Everflame

Game Master deinol

Crypt of the Everflame by Jason Bulmahn


1 to 50 of 1,047 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Ekat Kassen was a crusader and fortune seeker who came to serve Lastwall in the year 4515. While he fought with distinction, he soon realized that he wanted more from life and left the Lastwall military to find his fortune elsewhere. His travels took him all over the region around Lake Encarthan, and he decided to settle down in 4522 after a very profitable adventure. Using a sizable portion of his fortune, he set out to tame a small area of the Fangwood on the banks of the Tourondel River, making it a natural stopover for those traveling up and down the river to Skelt. For the next 10 years, the town, which was then known as Kassen’s Hold, grew and prospered.

All that changed when Asar Vergas came to Kassen’s Hold with a host of mercenaries under his command. Asar was an old companion of Ekat, and the two had traveled together for some time before splitting up just after Ekat’s last adventure. Over the years, Asar became sure that Ekat had cheated him after that adventure. Promising great wealth to his mercenaries, Asar raided the town relentlessly for 2 months. Finally, the townsfolk managed to locate Asar’s camp in an ancient crypt deep in the forest, and Ekat himself went out to deal with his old companion.

The battle was terribly bloody, with only a few townsfolk coming back to tell the tale. In the end, Asar was slain and his mercenaries scattered, but Ekat suffered a mortal wound. He died 2 days later, on the 11th day of Neth, 4535. In honor of their beloved founder, the townsfolk buried Kassen in the ancient crypt, interring his bones in a place of honor, above the simple sarcophagi used to inter Asar, his mercenaries, and the townsfolk that lost their lives in the bitter struggle. They placed an eternal flame above Kassen’s final resting place, so that all who visited might find warmth in the wilderness.

Nearly 200 years later, the Crypt of the Everflame has become an important part of the history of the town, now simply called Kassen. The townsfolk view the crypt as a memorial to those difficult first years of the town’s history. Every autumn, a few of the townsfolk make a pilgrimage to the crypt to light a lantern from the flame and bring it back to town, where it is preserved all winter, a symbol of the town’s resilience. Most years, the town mayor and a group of dignitaries perform this quest. Every few years, however, a handful of younger townsfolk are given the honor of lighting the lantern.

You four have been selected to light the lantern this year. For most of you, it marks your coming of age and becoming an adult in Kassen. For Santoval it will mean your acceptance into the community. You have been asked to meet in the village square just before noon. When you arrive, you find only each other.


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Artagan smiles as he walks towards the center of the square, feeling the familiar scratching of the cobblestone beneath his boots. The sun, almost at its zenith, beats down on his tanned skin. He has always felt a strong connection with the sun. Even on the hottest summer days while the other townsfolk sought shade and relief, he remained in its presence. It is a presence that reminded him of his mother's loving embrace.

Today was a strange day for him. Most of his life his eyes had been clouded, revealing little of his surroundings. Recently a bright beam of light has shone around him, a light he can only see, revealing everything clearly. Even in the darkest areas he can see clearly when the light shines down on him. While in the past this light has come and gone for a few hours, today it has remained since the sun's first rays hit the rooftops of Kassen.

Shaking his arm and adjusting the heavy shield, he finally reaches the middle of the square. He thinks it's a joke that he was given such heavy armor and a couple of weapons. I'm just going to grab a flame, how hard can it be? , he chuckles to himself. Looking around, seeing no one, he decides to take a seat and wait. Staring towards the sun, with his eyes open he basks in its light.

Andoran

Santoval strode into the town square in his travelling clothes, his old boots shining with a fresh coat of black polish, the hilt of his greatsword rising over his right shoulder and an easy grin on his face.

Yesterday, once his daily work of mucking the stalls, feeding and exercising the horses of the Watch were complete, he had dove into the preparation for this day; sharpening, polishing, oiling and cleaning the leather of his armor. The stars had come out and spun some distance through their twilight dance before he was finished in his labors. And now he had the chance to show the results and take part in an old ritual of Kassen.

Today I take one more step towards a new home.

Across the greensward Santoval spied the short wiry form of a familiar halfling sitting on a backless wooden bench on the small stretch of cobblestones before the town hall, his face upturned to catch the warm rays of the noon sun. Cheerfully Santoval made his way across the greensward of the square, avoiding a few presents left by the four-legged gardeners to join his friend.

Knowing that Artagan would sense his presence, but most likely not “see” him wave as he approached across the green, Santoval restrained his exuberance and merely walked over, plunking down on the bench next to him. He kicked his legs out and leaned back, emulating Artagan and drinking in the sunlight.

”Seems like a nice day to take a walk.”, he observed, breaking the silence.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Standing in the shadowy darkness at the edge of the square, Yarroth prepared himself to meet his new companions and set out for their adventure to the ancient crypt. This is my chance to show the town I am not just some foundling. I will prove to them my worth!
With those thoughts still running through his head, Yarroth steps from the shadow into the warm morning light. "Hail and well met my friends. Are you both prepared for our adventure?" He squats down in front of the other two, close, but staying out of the sunlight they are obviously enjoying.


Male Halfling Oracle/1

"Indeed it is, Sir Benedict," Artagan humbly and respectfully replied in an almost childish voice. Looking down he continued the conversation, "How did you get your boots so shiney?" A big smile ran across his face as he looked back towards Santoval, revealing almost every tooth in his mouth, but before the human could reply, Yarroth stepped from the shadows and startled the halfling.

"Oh, hello there Yarroth. I'm sorry I didn't see you there." The halfling eased back into a comfortable position on the bench. "I hope everything is going well. All of us really appreciated that venison you caught the other day. It was deee-licious!" He smacked his lips and smiled to the elven ranger.

"Weren't there supposed to be four of us?" He asks the two

Andoran

"I will have to second that, Yarroth. You certainly have the eyes of the eagle...and a bow to match! I was able to dry a bit of the venison that you gave me and it is now waiting in my pack to be enjoyed on the way to the crypt." , Santoval said, cracking one eye open to see Yarroth for the barest moment before returning to basking his face in the warm sunlight. "Artagan, you are going to have to knock off that 'Sir' stuff one of these days. While I appreciate the thought, I am no knight or nobility, I am just a simple citizen. I don't consider myself any better or worse than anyone else, so please don't push me above you.", he chided gently.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

"I am glad that you enjoyed the venison. I hope that I can put my 'eagle eyes' to good service on this adventure of ours! And where is that gnome? He was suppose to be here awhile ago."


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Getting up, Yarroth stretches his legs and lets out a jaw poping yawn. "So Artagan, do you have any feelings about this adventure? I know you sometimes have an insight that we do not."


Male Halfling Oracle/1
Yarroth the Younger wrote:
Getting up, Yarroth stretches his legs and lets out a jaw poping yawn. "So Artagan, do you have any feelings about this adventure? I know you sometimes have an insight that we do not."

Artagan cocks his head to the side a little at the question. "Well I only know what they say around town. It all sounds pretty simple to me. Grab the flame in a lantern and bring it back to town."

He looks to the others who are just as well equipped as he is. "But I don't understand why we need all this 'giddup'." He chuckles a little, "Maybe they are thinking of sending us to war and this whole flame thing is conspiracy or maybe a cover-up. Not sure which, but you know the Mayor..." He looks back and forth really fast with a paranoid look. "He isn't standing nearby is he?" He finally lets loose a loud chuckle and jumps up from the bench.

"I'm sure with you two fine fellas I have nothing to worry about. Even IF we do go to war!"

EDIT: Can I roll a diplomacy to see if I know any more about getting this flame? Artagan would have gathered information before we arrived in the town square by asking those who already finished the quest what had happened. Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Yarroth laughs and gently claps the halfling on the shoulder. "No, you are safe, the mayor is nowhere to be seen. And either is our gnome friend. Hmmm, I wonder how long we should wait? The morning is passing and we have a ways to go."

Andoran

"That is right Artagan. Yarroth and I are almost your own private army. We just need to get you a charger and a tall hat and you can lead us into battle.", Santoval teases, grinning. "As for getting moving...I am not worried. I think the whole point of this is for us to bring the flame back at night so everyone can see it. So for the moment, I think we are fine. Anyways, I think the Mayor is supposed to talk to us before we get going. I think patience, and soaking up the last bit of this autumn sun is the best thing for us right now."


Male

Artagan:
You have heard a few villagers left for the tomb a few days ago to set up tricks and traps. Despite the solemn talk about town, you know the tests of the quest are created by the villagers to make it more exciting. While rumor has it some people have been injured in past years, you don't believe there will be any real danger.


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Artagan nods in agreement to Santoval as he paces back and forth showing just how nervous he is about this whole thing, "I hope at least one of you is good at dealing with traps... I've heard rumors that some of the villagers go out ahead of us and set up traps and tests. Maybe that's where they are right now."


Male Human Fighter 3

Rushing towards the town square, a broad-shouldered stocky young man with dark hair plastered to his forehead with sweat approaches. "Hope...I'm...not...too...late" he blurts out between breaths. Setting a heavy looking pack down, he stretches out his hand in a gesture of friendship to anyone who will take it. I'm Anton...from up on Rabin's farm....they told me to meet at the town square...bring back the flame...this is my opportunity... he trails off. "Good to see you all here."


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Laughing as he grasps the mans' hand he say, "Anton! I did not know you were coming along with us!! Glad to have you aboard.


The bells atop the Temple of Erastil toll their midday song, echoing throughout the quiet town of Kassen. As the peals begin to fade, the first of the townsfolk make their way into the square, dressed in black, as if attending a funeral. They slowly fill the square, moving quietly across the cold, hard ground, their eyes downcast and mournful. After a few moments, a murmur passes through the crowd as it slowly parts to let Mayor Uptal through. He leads the way with a tarnished silver lantern. Behind him, an old pony drags a cart laden with backpacks and supplies.

Once he reaches the center of the crowd, Mayor Uptal stops and calls out to the assembled townsfolk. “Once again the winter winds blow through the Fangwood, marking the end of another harvest. There are wolves in the woods, howling at our walls, and serpents in our shadows, waiting to strike. Just as it was one hundred and seventy-four years ago, when Kassen himself left these walls to protect us, so it is today. Where are the heroes? Where are the brave folk that will venture out to Kassen’s tomb and retrieve the flame to keep this community safe for another winter?”


Male Human Fighter 3

"Yarroth! Thanks - as a matter of fact I was a bit taken aback - one of the town elders told me they had selected a gnome this year, but they were nowhere to be found - probably an illusion gone bad, and he couldn't find himself!" he laughs, a little too earnestly. "I mean, nothing against gnomes, wonderful folk and all...I'm just glad they told me I could come along, I've been working so hard on my combat skills, even though my uncle tells me it's a waste of time." his face darkens for a moment, but then Anton is smiling again. "Just glad to be a part of something bigger than chores on the farm for once!" Anton proceeds to rustle through his backpack, which appears to be somewhat hastily packed. He knocks over a wooden shield and a set of scale armor, both of which look fairly new. "I've got some smoked bacon and cheese here, if anyone else skipped breakfast."


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Artagan steps towards Mayor Uptal's voice. He begins raising his hand but then lowers it. After a short while he raises it again. "Uhmmm, I'm not sure what to do, but I'm here with these three brave men to recover the flame." The halfling becomes emboldened after he mentions the rest of his fellows. Yes! We are the Heroes that will quest for the flame. No matter what hardships or challenges we face... we will recover the flame! For our honor and our families... we will recover the flame! For everyone here in this village big and small... we will recover the flame! Fear not fellow Kassenians, the everburning flame is in good hands! The small halfling's voice almost booms as he shouts out his final exuberant sentence. He pauses a moment while the echoes of his voice fades from the town square. Mayor Uptal, we humbly accept the quest set before us.

Diplomacy roll to pump up the townsfolk and inspire his comrades, if needed: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

Artagan looks back towards the rest of the group trying to inspire them to join in on his, hopefuly, stirring speech. He ticks his head from the group towards the mayor as if reeling them in to speak up.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Yarroth moves in behind the others, feeling a little uncomfortable with all the attention the halfling is attracting. Still he readies his weapons, checks his armour and prepares to depart with the others.

Andoran

There isn't much more that needs to be said after that speech, Santoval thought to himself.

He stood with his comrades, fighting a wry smile on his face despite the solemnity of the proceedings. He just couldn't help but feel strongly about this ceremony, his excitement over the prospect of acceptance into his new home swelling deep within his chest.

And these men at my side are going though the same ceremony...one that has been repeated every year for generations. That is a very strong bond.

Artagan wrote:
"Mayor Uptal, we humbly accept the quest set before us."

Santoval nods in agreement to Artagan's words and gives the mayor and his neighbors a small salute, crossing his right arm across his chest in the style of Andoran.


Male Human Fighter 3

Not sure quite how to respond to the halfling's address, Anton kneels in what he hopes is an appropriate display of humility. "I...uh...um...I'll do my best." he says uncertainly.

Looking at his companions Santoval and Yarroth, he says quietly "I think I'll let Artagan do the talking, and I'll stick with what I know best."

"If one of you fine gentlemen could help me don this armor, I think we'll be just about ready to depart." Anton checks his weapon belt, making sure his longsword and dagger are free in their scabbards. An unloaded light crossbow hangs at his hip, as well as several bolt quarrels. A heavy wooden shield, with shoulder straps to be carried at this back, lies against his pack.

He ties a blue and scarlet scarf around his right arm, kissing it lightly before he does so. "Desna's luck be with us" he says.

Since I didn't give a detailed gear description before, I'll just do it through the narrative. I don't have any exotic items, just standard adventurer gear, equivalent to a light load (95 lbs.) for my Strength.


Mayor Uptal hands Artagan the tarnished, silver lantern. “Bring fire back to Kassen.” He then hands each of the heroes who stepped forward a backpack.

The mayor once again speaks to the townsfolk. “I present to you the brave heroes who will follow in Kassen’s footsteps to retrieve the Everflame! Some of them may not return, but I say to you that their sacrifice shall not be forgotten. Go, brave heroes, and do not return until you have the eternal fire.” With that, the mayor points to the south, the direction of Kassen’s tomb. The townsfolk begin waving goodbye with cold, solemn looks on most of their faces.

Artagan's backpack:
5 days’ worth of rations, a small tent, a winter blanket, a full waterskin, and 50 feet of hempen rope.

Yarroth's backpack:
5 days’ worth of rations, a small tent, a winter blanket, a full waterskin, a box containing tinder and three tindertwigs, and a labeled potion of cure light wounds.

Santoval's backpack:
5 days’ worth of rations, a small tent, a winter blanket, a full waterskin, three torches, and a small bottle of local brandy.

Anton's backpack:
5 days’ worth of rations, a small tent, a winter blanket, a full waterskin, a grappling hook, and a trail map.

I apologize for my terrible cartography.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Yarroth looks through the backpack, then nods his head in the direction of the Mayor. He shoulders the pack then goes and helps Anton get his armour on. Once finished he waits for the others.

Andoran

Santoval flips the flap on the backpack, and roots around for a moment examining the contents ("Well isn't that something.") before securing the pack and settling it snugly on his shoulders.

ooc for DM:
What do we do with our gear that we already bought? Are we assuming that the townspeople instructed us to only bring our weapons and that we should only be utilizing what they gave us? If so, I will assume that I have my flint and steel, whetstone, and additional waterskin on my person and just take what the townspeople gave us in the pack. That would make my equipment load=

Greatsword
Club
Dagger x3
Studded Leather Armor
Travelers Clothes
Bone flute, strung on leather strap and hung around neck
Flint and steel
whetstone
Waterskin x2
rationsx5
tent
winter blanket
backpack
torches x3
bottle of brandy (yum!)

"Well fellas, there is road to walk under our feet, sun above us and adventure before us...I think that its time for us to leave town." Seeing the others begin to shoulder their packs, Santoval turns and begins heading south, out of town.

Incidentally, I have no idea what sort of terrain we are in. Is it hilly/plains/forested/farmer's fields/mountains? Is this a nice road or a crummy road?


There is no restriction on what you can bring with you. The town just wants to make certain you have the basics. Feel free to adjust your gear to leave redundant stuff behind if you wish.

The town is built along a river, and is surrounded by the Fangwood Forest. The path out of town isn't quite a road, but it is an easy walk.


Male Human Fighter 3

I'm just going to assume that the gear that was given to me by the town is not stuff I would have selected at character creation, so duplicate items will just count as one item (grappling hook, for instance).

As Anton shuffles through the pack the townsfolk presented him with, he pulls out a piece of parchment with a somewhat rudimentary representation of the surrounding wilderness outside of Kassen.

"This looks sort of familiar," he says, spreading the map out on the ground - using some small rocks to weight down the corners. "Yarroth, I know you're more of an outdoors type than I am, but I've had to track down some stray pigs from time to time out along the river here." He points to the area southwest of town. "I've never been as far into the forest as this area here, marked as the Broken Glade, but it looks like that's where the trail branches, and takes us past the shore of the Gray Lake, and through the Serpent Gorge to the foothills of the serpent here." He points to the appropriate part of the map.

"I'm ready when you fellows are." says Anton.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Yarroth looks at the map that Anton is pointing to and comments, "I know this general area. The hunting in that area is usually poor, so I have not had much exposure to it, but if I remember the path is good and fairly easy to follow. If you want I can lead the way?"


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Artagan's shoulders slump forward at the response from the Mayor and the townsfolk. He grabs the backpack as if it was a chore and with his head down, he follows behind the rest of the group.

Under his breath just loud enough for the rest of the group to hear he mumbles, "You'd think all of the townsfolk had training in the theaters. Great thesbians they are... Oh the great dreary task at hand - lets all play it up... How can they not chuckle at themselves?"


The first two hours of the journey pass without incident. The narrow path winds through the raked claws of the trees, now bereft of their leaves, which crunch loudly underfoot. Up ahead, a fallen tree trunk blocks the path. Suddenly a trio of snarling humanoids leaps up from behind the log, all greenish skin and fearsome tusks, bellowing vulgar challenges.

Now that we've gotten to the exciting part, I must warn you that I'm going to be at a convention all weekend. I will try and keep things going, but if I'm silent for a while that's why.


Male Human Fighter 3

"They don't look happy to see us." Anton says. "Best to be prepared if this turns ugly."

Initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Anton pulls his shield from his back and straps it to his forearm, and draws his longsword from the scabbard. He takes a step back in a guarded stance, anticipating a fight.


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

With his bow at the ready, Yarroth prepares to defend the party.

Initative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

What convention are you going to??


I probably should have you guys pick a standard marching order.

I'm going to Strategicon, near LAX.

Andoran

Santoval frees the greatsword from his back, swings it around and plants the point in the dirt. He proceeds to casually leaning on it scratching the side of his nose as he looks at the humanoids blocking the path.

"You know," Santoval observes conversationally, "There seem to be three of you, and four of us. Not to mention that I have a sword bigger than two of you put together, Yarroth here has a bow nearly as tall as himself, Anton eats iron nails for breakfast and Artagan here is a sorcerer of terrible and mighty powers. I am pretty certain that you can find easier prey in the woods who won't bite nearly as hard."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Assuming they are further than 30ft away:

"What is it? Robbers? Who's up there?" Artagan searches around trying to see what is ahead. He moves closer against Santoval and puts the man between himself and the crude voices he hears in the distance.

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


The fearsome green-skinned humanoids snarl and continue to approach, huge axes at the ready.

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 18

Anton:
Knowledge Local: 1d20 ⇒ 3
You have no idea what these creatures are.

Artagan:
Knowledge Local: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18
These must be orcs! Fearsome, barbaric humanoids known for raiding civilized lands. You have heard that they will fight on to their dying breaths.

Santoval:
Knowledge Local: 1d20 ⇒ 2
You have no idea what these creatures are.

Yarroth:
Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
You have no idea what these creatures are.


Sorry for going dark all weekend. It was crazy busy and I got little sleep.

Santoval's Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

The creatures charge forward together, quickly crossing the distance to your group.

Vs Anton: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Vs Artagan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Vs Santoval: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

(Anton's Damage: 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6)
The fierce creature swings his axe, catching Anton with its blade. Anton seems startled, but the blow does not phase him.

Artagan barely steps aside in time to avoid the axe that swings toward him.

(Santoval's Damage: 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8)
Santoval is struck by a fearsome blow, which slices deep into his leather armor.

Anton:
Will Save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
You realize that the creature is just an illusion, and you are actually unharmed.

Artagan:
Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Santoval:
Will Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Santoval is up next.

Andoran

"Argh! By beak and claws! You are not walking away from this!", Santoval shouts, a wild look in his eye as the greatsword comes around in an low arc.

Marching order? We were taking a sunlit stroll into the woods...who thought we would get jumped? Santoval begins his rage. hp+2=8hp currently, Con +4, Str +4. Melee attack +5. Round 1 of 6/day

Attack: Greatsword against enemy that struck him. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Damage: 2d6 + 5 ⇒ (1, 3) + 5 = 9


Male

Santoval's swing is barely deflected by the green-skin's studded leather jerkin.

Marching order isn't that important right now, but you'll want to have one for when you get to the crypt.

Yarroth is up next.


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Yay! Back to the action.

As the orcs get closer, Artagan is able to make out their features. When the orcs start to attack the group he shouts, "Watchout! They are orcs! They'll fight to the.." . Artagan dodges the orcs attack barely making it out unscathed. "To the bitter end!"


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Taking careful aim at one of the creatures, Yarroth fires his bow.

Attacking the orc on Artagan
Attack-Range: +4 for skill, -4 firing into combat
1d20 ⇒ 7
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


The arrow flies past the orc, barely missing Artagan.

Yarroth:
Will Save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
That isn't an orc! It's just an illusion!

Anton is up next.


Male Human Fighter 3

Anton blinks as the strange creature connects with its axe - strange, that didn't feel right at all! and glancing down quickly, focusing his concentration for a moment, he sees no wound. "Artagan, my friends!" he shouts - "What strange magic is this? These creatures...they are not real!"

Not sure of how to proceed against a threat he perceives to be an illusion, Anton continues to maintain a defensive posture.

Anton chooses total defense this round, +4 dodge bonus to AC.

Santoval, I might be wrong, but your attack bonus seems low. BAB (1) + Str bonus (moral bonus Str 21, +5) = 6.


Male Halfling Oracle/1

Will save to Disbelieve: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Anton's words bolstered Artagan's courage enough for him to look up from cowering behind his shield. With the orc clearly in sight, he is able to notice the illusions before him. Unsure what to do, he shouts with a bit of excitement and a little fear, "Anton's right! This is probably just one of the tests!"

Would any of us know of a wizard in town that could create these illusions?


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

Yarroth sets his bow down and bellows out a laugh. So this is what we have to look forward to? Shadows and images? HA!" He moves forward to search for his arrow, ignoring the imaginary foes.

Andoran

Will Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

"Well ain't that something...", Santoval mumbles, coming out of his rage and breathing very hard. He can just barely see through the creatures now, as if they were painted onto glass, allowing him to catch glimpses of trees and sunshine through the nearest creature's chest. Patting his chest, he was able to determine that the blood and split armor, was a similar illusion.

"I am racking my brain and I don't think I know anyone who could pull something like this off. The prudent thing is to deal with anything we come across as if it were created by someone who is interested in harming us...whether or not that is the actual truth."


Male Human Fighter 3

As the rest of his companions are able to finally see the creatures for what they were, illusions, Anton relaxes his guard. "Santoval speaks wisdom. It's always better to stay vigilant, regardless of whether or not what we are fighting is actually real! he says, chuckling.

"I know of no one in town who can create such illusions however, and this does concern me. The townsfolk may have created illusions to frighten us, but a clever enemy could take advantage of us taking things for granted."

"I'll stay in front from here on out." Anton says, rapping the flat of his blade against the heavy wooden shield strapped to his arm. "What formation do you fellows think would give us the most advantage in case we are attacked by something more robust than figments?" he asks.

"Whatever you decide, I feel we should continue on this path to try to reach the Broken Glade before darkfall." he says, pulling out the trail map and indicating the direction. "I'll keep my shield and sword at the ready."


The town does have a wizard, Holgast, who lives in a tower on the south side of town. Although Holgast is very knowledgeable, he is old and quite forgetful, meaning that the townsfolk (the mayor in particular) only consult him if the need is truly great. Holgast spends most of his days wandering about his tower, reading books, smoking his pipe, and taking naps. As none of you are wizards who studied under him, you have no idea what his capabilities are.

As you realize the orcs are an illusion, they fade from view. You find yourselves unharmed.

The rest of the day's travel is uneventful. It is late afternoon when you reach the Broken Glade and find the fork in the path. A cold wind begins
to rattle through the leafless forest. There is now no sign of civilization in sight.

Do you wish to camp here, or push on for another hour or two into the forest?


Male 1/2 Elven Ranger/Rogue 2/1

"I suggest that we camp here for the night."
Survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Looks like a nice, safe place to camp.


Yarroth finds a good spot to setup camp. A small dip that can be easily converted into a fire pit protected on three sides by bushes.

Do you want to setup a watch rotation for the night? Are you cooking dinner, or eating cold rations?


Male Human Fighter 3

"I wouldn't mind a hot meal. I'll gather some kindling, see if I can find some game nearby, and take first watch."

Survival 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

"Oh, instead of a bonfire we may just want some hot coals once it gets dark, for warmth."

1 to 50 of 1,047 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Deinol's Crypt of the Everflame All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.