Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

DM Dan E’s Legacy of Fire (Inactive)

Game Master Dan E

Recruited to reclaim the town of Kelmarane from a tribe of gnolls, six adventurers find themselves caught up in a series of events that may change the face of Katapesh: the Legacy of Fire.


301 to 350 of 2,347 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

HP: 49/49 AC: 22 Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 7
Grall wrote:

Underrrstood.

he nods for the rest of them to follow.

Khalid silently nods in acknowledgement and follows...


hp 44/44; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 7
Nuveril wrote:

After leaving Mohandis

You're unsure how much of your explanation of a jinn binder goes straight over Nuveril's head, but she seems to understand the basic concept. "Then ... a jinn binder is like a slaver of jinn, forcing them to give up their own volition and serve him. And a jinn seal ... is like the brand or the whip that enforces their enslavement? Then I understand." She looks subdued. "They were right to be offended, although I acted in ignorance. If ever we meet again, I owe Mohandis' people an apology." Unwilling to remove her amulet entirely, she nevertheless tucks it beneath her clothing so that it is not immediately visible.

Zeladiel stops, stunned, then rushes to catch up to Nuveril.

"Where did you get a Jinn Seal from? Can I see it? What else does it do?"


Zeladiel:

You can make a knowledge arcane check to see what you know about a jinn seal.


OK pushing things a bit as I am away this weekend so last substantive chance to post and it won't hurt for you to think on what is below for a bit.

You follow who you can only assume is Rasoul as he makes his way unerringly west, making barely a whisper of noise across the rock as he goes.

The journey takes nearly an hour, up an increasing slope, before the man takes you around a wall of rock. From this point nearly the entire southern face of Pale Mountain is laid out before you to the north. It is an awe inspiring sight, the pale granite thrusting up thousands of feet above sea level and dominating the surroundings.

A few miles away, wedged into a wide precipice along the south western face of the mountain sits the crumbling ruins of a massive temple complex, the House of the Beast. Perhaps the grand cathedral to Abadar in Katapesh city is larger, the Lambent Citadel, the great fortress-temple to Sarenrae in Solku, more imposing, but if so neither by much.

Its crumbling spires and domes bask in the pale grayish glow of the morning light. The scope of its creation seems implausible in such a remote location, yet it isn’t hard to question why its architect might choose such a spectacular setting. Indeed, it seems unlikely that there exists another so close to the realm of the Gods.

Passing centuries have weathered its stone construction, and while some of the outer walls remain standing, they have collapsed in several places, mocking the stationary defences and leaving the way to the temple grounds open. Among broken flagstones and empty fountains, dry thorny shrubs and a few short trees poke through packed clay soil sprinkled with shards of bone. Nearly everywhere lichen grows on toppled stones and ruined works.

The temple would almost appear deserted if not for the ominous feeling of dread and the few dozen gory warnings hung upon the outer walls, what looks like headless bodies thick with swarms of black flies.

Rasoul points further to your left, a large gnollish encampment sprawls about three quarters of a mile to the west and below the temple on a large level section, a careless blob of mismatched tents. It is hard to guess just how many inhabitants there are, two-fifty, three hundred, maybe more, with scores of armed gnolls wandering amidst waist high piles of refuse and dozens of small fires giving up streams of greasy black smoke to the skies.

The ranger snorts. You see? It looks like they have been here for a while. You poke that. He points to the temple. And you'll be up to your armpits in 'em. If I was you I might be thinking about going home.

Those who wish can also make perception checks.


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14


MAP OF THE TEMPLE COMPLEX IS HERE .

Below is a key with more detailed descriptions of the areas marked. Scale is 20' a square. Red dots incidate doors you can see. Strongly suggest you look at this carefully. The mountain juts up hard close to the eastern edge of the complex.

The Northwest Tower

Two small minarets guard the entrance of a low stone structure topped with the ruins of a small dome.

North Gate

A lopsided minaret, its stacked layers sloppy and precarious, casts a long shadow across the interior courtyard. A weatherworn coil of stairs scrambles about its perimeter, ascending a hundred feet or so. The stairs slope slightly toward the outer edge and no rails exist to prevent an unsteady climber from tumbling off onto the shards of rubble below.

Western Gate House

Protruding from beyond the safety of the western temple wall stands a fortified gatehouse built around a forty-foot-diameter dome covered in pale blue, flaking mosaic tile. Behind the dome stand a pair of slender spires. The top of the northernmost spire sheers off at a jagged angle about three-quarters of the way up, while the other bears extensive cracks circling its foundation. Several smoke trails drift up into the sky from several holes in the roof. They look like uncontrolled fires left to burn themselves out.

The Three Minarets

A trio of towering minarets stand a near staggering 150 feet tall at the center of the temple courtyard, well above even the towers of the other buildings in the complex. You can't see any ground-level entrances, although a set of open window arches appear to permit access at forty feet above the ground and each has a viewing platform at one hundred and twenty feet from which the view must be dizzying.

East Gate

Along the east wall stands a thick gatehouse of ancient stone flanked by pale, crumbling minarets. On either side, worn steps burrow into the structure and twist inward, leading up to an open patio of cracked-tile mosaic.

Dry fountains and a worn stone trough indicate traces of what was once a lush and well-tended garden.

Bronze Dome

In the southwest section of the temple rises a large, bronzeplated
dome set atop a raised stone foundation.

The dome is badly cracked and a gaping hole mars the southwest wall. Several large, brownish-black, egg-shaped objects lie about the yard surrounding the dome, clearly visible from your position.

The Great Dome

Rising from the center of the temple grounds is a tremendous dome of stone, brass, and crumbling plaster. The great dome sits on a octagonal base, inlaid in intricate geometric patterns with thousands of colored glass tiles.

Time and the elements have reduced their once bright colors to faded pastel hues of blue, green, and yellow. In several places, the tiles have been completely worn away, exposing plaster and brickwork beneath.

Its a complex description and bear in mind this is what you can see from where you are so ask away if anything is unclear.

Sovereign Court

HP: 49/49 AC: 22 Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 7

Perception:1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12


Male HP(104/104 or 125*/125*) Gnoll Barbarian 7 - Invulnerable Rager

Grall will take his time and study it intently. taking a 10 for a total of a 20 or if I can take a 20 he will for a 30 total.


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 7 | hp 72/72 (86/86 raging)
Zeladiel Araxyll wrote:

After leaving Mohandis

Zeladiel stops, stunned, then rushes to catch up to Nuveril.
"Where did you get a Jinn Seal from? Can I see it? What else does it do?"

Nuveril eyes Zeladiel warily. "The amulet," she growls, pulling it out again for him to see. "What it does is offend our hosts yesterday, as if we walked into a halfling village with a slaver's net and manacles swinging at our belt. Who left it in Kelmarane ... I don't know," she concludes, looking away. "It ... it must have been dropped there accidentally. Perhaps it belonged to the gnolls." She seems uneasy about the item's provenance.


hp 44/44; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 7

"Since when were you worried about offending people?" murmurs Zeladiel distractedly while studying the amulet.

DM DanE:
Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 7 | hp 72/72 (86/86 raging)

"Just because my people's ways are not as yours does not mean that we do not have our own laws of behavior," she tells him dourly. "To deliberately offend one's host is as unacceptable as to ask one's guest to remove his weapons. Also," she hesitates, "beyond the ways of my tribe, slavery is anathema to me. Inadvertantly to be seen carrying the badge of one who enslaves another...." She shakes her head. "It shames me personally." Her cheeks color beneath the dust of the road again.


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9
Nuveril wrote:
Also,"[/b] she hesitates, "beyond the ways of my tribe, slavery is anathema to me. Inadvertantly to be seen carrying the badge of one who enslaves another...." She shakes her head. "It shames me personally." Her cheeks color beneath the dust of the road again.

And yet you continue to wear it... Sajan notes perceptively, no tone of accusation in his voice but simply stating a fact. This... surprises me. After our talk of diseased tribe members.


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 7 | hp 72/72 (86/86 raging)

"It ... is not all the janni told me," Nuveril goes on reluctantly, her cheeks burning with shame and her gaze on the rocky ground. "He said I should not be able to wear it. Not unless ... there were a taint in my blood, something that it calls out to and finds response, something that does not want to let it part from me. He says that in my blood is either wizard or jinn."


hp 44/44; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 7
Nuveril wrote:
" He says that in my blood is either wizard or jinn."

Zeladiel looks up from the amulet and studies Nuveril herself.

"We are not our ancestors. They are part of us and they leave their mark. But it is we who create our own destiny and choose our own paths. We who forge our own legacy and make our own choices. They do not rule us unless we let them."

Then suddenly, he rises and stalks off in the direction of travel.


Human Cleric 7 | hp 36/51 | channel 6/7
DM Dan E wrote:


The ranger snorts. You see? It looks like they have been here for a while. You poke that. He points to the temple. And you'll be up to your armpits in 'em. If I was you I might be thinking about going home.

"There is more than our lives at stake. We can not turn back", Linah says breaking her silence. The cleric had been quiet without a word ever since the ranger's short introduction. There was something about the man that made her feel unsecure and left her uneasy. She had felt like a little girl and that one wrong step would earn her a scolding she would never fully recover from. So she had kept quiet and in the background, as to not gain his attention. But when the words came so did some of her confidence. Why she choose those words as her first to him she could not say.

Laying flat on her stomach she looks down at the great structure before them. Even with the horrific symbolic significance of the House of the Beast, she could not help to be impressed.

Perception check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Male HP(104/104 or 125*/125*) Gnoll Barbarian 7 - Invulnerable Rager

They Gnolls arrre not ourrr concerrrn, theirrr masterrrs arrrre Rasoul. What do you think is the best way to apprrroach the temple unseen?


Grall wrote:
Grall will take his time and study it intently. taking a 10 for a total of a 20 or if I can take a 20 he will for a 30 total.

Hrmm, don't think this is a take 20 scenario, taking 10 is fine.

Grall:

Straining your eyes you think you see movement near the eastern gatehouse and perhaps a glint of metal.


Zeladiel Araxyll wrote:

"Since when were you worried about offending people?" murmurs Zeladiel distractedly while studying the amulet.

** spoiler omitted **

Zeladiel:

Again you don't get much I'm afraid. Its obviously connected with genie binders. You seem to recall something about different kinds of genie seals, the first a construct of the genie binders magic, the second an item or device that assists the genie binder and/or uses the power of a bound genie. What this particular thing does continues to elude you.


Grall wrote:
They Gnolls arrre not ourrr concerrrn, theirrr masterrrs arrrre Rasoul. What do you think is the best way to apprrroach the temple unseen?

The ranger gives Grall an "in a minute" gesture. He points up and and a little to the right of the temple complex, a point where sight from the temple would be blocked by the curve of the mountain.

It takes a few moments for you to see what he is pointing at, it looks like a fissure or cave entrance. A font of something: mist, steam, it is hard to be sure from this distance, twirls upwards out of the hole.

When he's sure you've all seen it, the ranger beckons you back around the rock wall, he seems to be taking extraordinary care.

Looks like all the main Carrion tribes to me, Circle, Three Jaws, Al’Chorhaiv, Wormhollow. Most o' the smaller.

He turns to Grall, studying the gnoll and thinking. He seems a bit incredulous that your still going through with it.

Getting close should be easy enough, plenty 'o cover up to the walls. I reckon the main part is under the ground. Whole area is riddled with tunnels. Its the rock, easy to work.

He spits with some deliberation on the ground. Any 'o them buildings could have a way under but thats not much good for defense. Even if they was there once, gnolls might have blocked em up. Wouldn't be hard.

As I see it, you got three main options.

First, central dome will be the front door, got to be a way down from there for sure. Expect lots o' gnolls though, you'd need to kill 'em fast and quiet.

Second, might be a way underground from one or more of those three minarets. Can't see a way in from the ground. You'd have ta climb 'em in the dark though or the gnoll's see ya for sure.

Third, maybe you can find another tunnel in from that hole. Gnolls wouldn't see and you might avoid their defenses all together but then it might just go nowhere and only the gods know all the monsters that live in the dark holes in this mountain. Can take you around there if you want.

Or you might have another way with your fancy spells and such. I'd avoid that west gatehouse though. Something happened there. Place didn't set itself on fire.


The ranger watches you calmly as you stand there thinking.

Sovereign Court

HP: 49/49 AC: 22 Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 7

"It would seem our best option, in order to conserve our resources would be to see if we can find a route in though the cave. A direct assault would be foolish and attempting to enter through the minarets could be done, but would use too many of our already limited resources."

Khalid turns to the group...

"Sajan and Grall take point along with Rasoul, at least until we are in the cave. Once in we may be better off to take advantage of Grall's darkvision and let him on point. Grall, the first opportunity we get, I want you dressed as one the Carrion tribe members, if only to limit suspicions should you be seen before the rest of us. Zeladiel, you'll be next so that the light sources we have to use will be further back and less likely to draw immediate attention. Any questions or concerns? If so, please speak them now."

The inquisitor waits to see if the group agrees with the plan or has other concerns...


Male HP(104/104 or 125*/125*) Gnoll Barbarian 7 - Invulnerable Rager

DM Dan:

Grall's eyes are drawn back to the Gnoll's below the temple, preparing for war. He hopes he can save them, or at least part of them. The rest will either become fodder for Rovagug or die by this groups blades.
He has no illusions that he can change them, but he hopes that he can at least save part of them, maybe even find a few worth saving. He can only hope, for now he will do what must be done...once more.

He nods at Khalid and then looks expectantly at Rasoul and Sajan.


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 7 | hp 72/72 (86/86 raging)

Nuveril nods a little sourly. She is not happy about being placed behind the spell-slinger but partially mollified by the knowledge that Sajan and Khalid will be similarly placed. Besides, as she glances down at the size of the gnoll encampment, it is not as if there will not be gnolls enough for my hammer to find.


Khalid Al Ha'zareen wrote:

"It would seem our best option, in order to conserve our resources would be to see if we can find a route in though the cave. A direct assault would be foolish and attempting to enter through the minarets could be done, but would use too many of our already limited resources."

Khalid turns to the group...

"Sajan and Grall take point along with Rasoul, at least until we are in the cave. Once in we may be better off to take advantage of Grall's darkvision and let him on point. Grall, the first opportunity we get, I want you dressed as one the Carrion tribe members, if only to limit suspicions should you be seen before the rest of us. Zeladiel, you'll be next so that the light sources we have to use will be further back and less likely to draw immediate attention. Any questions or concerns? If so, please speak them now."

The inquisitor waits to see if the group agrees with the plan or has other concerns...

Rasoul nods curtly at Khalids instruction. As you wish. I'll watch your spare gear if you like.

He at least seems eager to be about it. Perhaps he wants to get you off his hands.


Grall wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

He nods at Khalid and then looks expectantly at Rasoul and Sajan.

Grall:

It occurs to you that for all your preparation you know basically nothing of what gnolls you can expect to find in the temple nor the carrion king himself.

Your people are pack based and know their own by sight and smell. The disguise plan will work a lot better if there are different tribal groups you can exploit.

Will you have to battle your aunt? Perhaps only Serenrae knows.....


OK assume this is the plan.

Rasoul doesn't waste any time, taking you back around the ridge section and cutting a wide circle around to the north east. He seems to have scouted the way in advance and moves confidently and quickly although he keeps a constant watch for threats.

Linah's expensive investment in mithril armour seems to be paying off, the priestess no longer lagging behind the rest and making far less noise than she used to in her old breasplate.

It takes nearly two hours to work your way round and at noon you find yourself on a level section a hundred feet or so below the cave opening. A few minutes examination reveal a steep, overgrown identation(not quite a path) which zig zags its way erratically upwards.

Rasoul simply grunts at this evidence of the cave plan's merit. Between the seven of you you have no shortage of trackers but a thorough search finds no sign of anything passing recently.

DM:

1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 16

Up closer the cleft looks like a fanged maw cut horizontally through the pale cliff side, a dark fissure lined with stony outcroppings. Black streaks stain the earth outside the opening, sooty residue as if from some great heat. The exhalations are some kind of natural gas expelled in uneven blasts from the crack like the noxious breath of the mountain itself.

Well this is as far as I go. Rasoul says bluntly. I'll be watching.

He turns to go but then seems to think of something. Oh. If it looks like the gnolls are going to take you I'd strongly recommend killing yourself. You don't want them to take you alive.

He has one last look for Grall and one for Khalid before disappearing into the rocks. As he leaves it might occur to some that you never tried the method of verification that Kadisa suggested. Assume those who remembered just didn't feel the need.

The way is precarious and the wind picks up as you climb but you manage it without incident with some care. As you approach the entrance your nostrils fill with the foul aroma of rotting eggs. Apparently exploring the cave will not be kind to your sense of smell.

Reaching your destination, Zeladiel and Linah incant their light spells and you carefully look inside. The opening runs about thirty feet before widening into a larger chamber that looks somehow naturally lit. A wave of sweltering heat hits you like a physical blow, especially after the last few freezing nights.

With you able to see (at least for now) Grall and Sajan switch places and the monks enters stealthily to take a look.

DM:

sp 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
ss 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

Sajan:

Moving with very little noise up the corridor you look into the chamber.

Reeking trails of steam and acrid smoke eddy in the eerie light shed by flickering bluish flame that pops and whistles erratically from a crack in the cavern floor. The later is covered with variously sized piles of ash

In the middle of the room, a table made of ancient oak supports a
few woven baskets and a decrepit clay bowl.

There are three exits, the northern and eastern chutes that drop downward out of sight.

Between the table and the northern entrance an odd creature lounges in one of the ash piles. Humanoid in shape its about Nuveril's size although much rounder, almost a ball with arms and legs. Grey like the surrounding rock, it has a set of small leathery wings, thin horns, and a mouth that looks far too big for its face.

It looks unaware of you. No cover/concealment in the cave, if you enter it will see you.

Map is HERE . Technically only Sajan can see this at this point. Feel free to retcon any other preparations you want to make or any last questions for Rasoul.


hp 44/44; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 7

"I have a cantrip that will allow up to five of us to communicate in whispers over some distance. I'll set it up now, if nobody objects."
Zeladiel starts casting ignoring Nuveril's grumblings.

message - exclude Linah then Nuveril unless someone objects.
mage armour - me. Will use Pearl of Power to mage armour Sajan too, if you want. Lasts 5 hours.
light - on arrow loaded in bow.


Male HP(104/104 or 125*/125*) Gnoll Barbarian 7 - Invulnerable Rager
DM Dan E wrote:
Grall wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

He nods at Khalid and then looks expectantly at Rasoul and Sajan.

** spoiler omitted **

When he thinks about it Grall has several questions for Rasoul as they move towards the cave entrance:

1.Does he know which tribe seems to be guarding the temple? If so which one is it and what can he tell me about them and their customs?
2. Are there any other tribes that interact directly with the temple that he has seen? Can he give me some details about the other main tribes down there.
3. Can Grall think of any distinguishing features or markings when he thinks back on his encounter with his Aunt showing her tribe or anythig marking her as special or something to do with the temple?

Grall will also leave some of his heavy gear behind with Rasoul, mainly things like tents or extra rations. He will keep a day on him just in case and any gear useful for light of climbing.


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 7 | hp 72/72 (86/86 raging)

Nuveril winces in disgust as the stench of the cave's air reaches her nose but then grins. "Ought to interfere with anything that can detect us by scent," she explains.


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Sajan's always up for mage armour, thanks. I don't plan on ever getting bracers of armour so I hope your ok to keep preparing it.

Possible enemy, follow my lead to subdue, not kill he whispers using Zeladiel's spell.

Sajan will rush the creature, using his surprise round to charge and attempt to trip it.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26 Trip VS flat-footed CMD (won't provoke AOO if hes flat-footed)

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17 Initiative


Grall wrote:
DM Dan E wrote:
Grall wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

He nods at Khalid and then looks expectantly at Rasoul and Sajan.

** spoiler omitted **

When he thinks about it Grall has several questions for Rasoul as they move towards the cave entrance:

1.Does he know which tribe seems to be guarding the temple? If so which one is it and what can he tell me about them and their customs?
2. Are there any other tribes that interact directly with the temple that he has seen? Can he give me some details about the other main tribes down there.
3. Can Grall think of any distinguishing features or markings when he thinks back on his encounter with his Aunt showing her tribe or anythig marking her as special or something to do with the temple?

Grall will also leave some of his heavy gear behind with Rasoul, mainly things like tents or extra rations. He will keep a day on him just in case and any gear useful for light of climbing.

Rasoul's responses are clipped and to the point.

1.Does he know which tribe seems to be guarding the temple? If so which one is it and what can he tell me about them and their customs?

Above ground, only seen Carrion tribe or those dressed in their colours, warriors in black. No females or pups. Their customs are pretty much what you'd expect from those that have thrown in with the Rough Beast. Kill it, eat it, for the main. They're disciplined though, much more than the others and they worship their king o' carrion almost as a god himself.

2. Are there any other tribes that interact directly with the temple that he has seen? Can he give me some details about the other main tribes down there.

Could be any of the tribes from the outside camp. He can give you a more detailed run down of these if you like and I'll just assume it forms part of your knowledge if it becomes relevant. I've heard the Carrion King levies warriors from the other tribes to supplement his own numbers but in the black they all look the same to me.

3. Can Grall think of any distinguishing features or markings when he thinks back on his encounter with his Aunt showing her tribe or anythig marking her as special or something to do with the temple?

Grall:

Nothing other than the description I gave you at the time. A gnoll with arcane powers is so rare its usually a big deal though, she might well get away with being tribeless in a way other gnolls couldn't.

Note I've always figured from Grall's background that his parents where itinerant raiders and slavers rather than part of one of the big tribes. Works either way for me though.


Sajan:

Sorry if my description was unclear but I think the table will block a charge. Want to get into position and go for initiative on the trip?

Edit: Assuming those wings aren't for show the trip may not work anyway. Grapple?


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

DM:

If I can't just leap onto the table as part of my movement, sure. But i'll be taking a different action probably.


DM:

?init 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Sajan:

Note edit to post above but moot anyway. Yeah the movement restrictions on charge are so specific I at least don't think you can fit in a jump.

You rush into the room using your superior speed to cut past the startled creature and block its way to the closest (northern) exit.

Unfortunately it manages to react faster than you were expecting, withdrawing out of your immediate reach with an undignified grunt and a frenzied flap of its wings that somehow manages to get the fat creature aloft. It flies up 15' to the roof near the eastern exit but seems reluctant to fly down itit looks like it has the move, turning to regard you grumpily.

Take your action and we'll process the others. The roof level isn't even and you figure if it ventures into the northern half of the chamber or so you'd be able to grab at it.


Human Cleric 7 | hp 36/51 | channel 6/7
DM Dan E wrote:

Well this is as far as I go. Rasoul says bluntly. I'll be watching.

He turns to go but then seems to think of something. Oh. If it looks like the gnolls are going to take you I'd strongly recommend killing yourself. You don't want them to take you alive.

"That will not be necessary", Linah replies with devotion. "We thank you for your help. Until we meet again, walk in the light". She curtseys then walks into the cave and the darkness beyond.

Linah halts at Sajan's command, waiting for the giant to act.


Assuming you guys are going to head into the cave straight away, going to resolve an action from him first though.


Human Cleric 7 | hp 36/51 | channel 6/7
DM Dan E wrote:
Assuming you guys are going to head into the cave straight away, going to resolve an action from him first though.

Just wanted to get a post in to show i'm still here :) Linah has been pretty quiet lately


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Let me know if this isn't possible/feasible but I couldn't see positions on the last map and still don't know them. Proposed action follows.

Sajan steps up onto the table and leaps up into the air after the creature, grabbing onto its wings roughly mid-air.

Assuming the table is 3 foot high or so, Sajan needs to get about 6 feet + vertical jumps worth to reach it for his standard action. If my thinking is totally off on this I will spend a ki point to get +20 on the jump check.

1d20 + 19 ⇒ (10) + 19 = 29 7 feet, if my understanding of the situation is off and he obviously needed much more than this i'd spend the ki point for 12.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23 Grapple

Edit: Ok thanks. Ki point spent.


Was hoping my descriptions would suffice but clearly not sorry. Its over by the eastern exit which is a clear 10' from the table. So short answer your fine but need to spend the ki. Updating shortly.


The rest of you dash into the cavern just in time to see Sajan make a superhuman leap, a full twelve feet of the ground, and almost casually snatch a small leathery winged creature out of the air. Humanoid in shape its about Nuveril's size, although much rounder, almost a ball with arms and legs. Grey like the surrounding rock, it has thin horns, and a mouth that looks far too big for its face.

It opens and closes the last rapidly, struggling in Sajan's grip.

Mmmrrshima ddrrimma! Trrismmmsh degi grrismish! Its voice is deep and rumbling. Spluttering away it switches to common.

You darre to lay hands on Andgrronakrraks! By the holy rrocks of Trremerre you will rrelease me human or feel my full magical powerr!

Elsewhere in the room, reeking trails of steam and acrid smoke eddy in the eerie light shed by flickering bluish flame that pops and whistles erratically from a crack in the cavern floor. The later is covered with variously sized piles of ash

In the middle of the room, a table made of ancient oak supports a few woven baskets and a decrepit clay bowl.

There are three exits, the northern and eastern chutes that drop downward out of sight. Sajan is grappling the creature just above the eastern chute.

Map is above. Those bar Sajan will take a move action to enter the room and can take another standard/move if they wish. Feel free to make knowledge checks as well.

Sovereign Court

HP: 49/49 AC: 22 Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 7

Khalid enters the chamber, drawing Tempest along the way, and attempts to discern what sort of creature Sajan has in his grip...

Knowledge (Arcane, Planes, or Religion):1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20 for Dungeoneering or Nature subtract 1.


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 7 | hp 72/72 (86/86 raging)

Nuveril enters scowling, her weapons at the ready. "What is the point of coming here if we do not intend to kill anything?" she hisses at the Vudrani. Ready to attack if it gets loose and comes in range ... or anything else does


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

If Sajan is still grappling the creature on his initiative, he will attempt to force it to the ground by pinning it.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25


Khalid:

Its an earth mephit a creature from the elemental plane of earth.

It has a breath weapon of a swirl of rocks, can soften stone and earth and can unreliably summon more of its own kind.


Never really comfortable with these quasi-like combats and on reflection I doubt you are either. We've been a bit slow lately and thus I'm not sure whether people have had a chance to post or just decided not to do anything. But I don't want to spend a lot of time on an encounter that was only going to cause a challenge if your opponent managed to get away. Assume everyone is moving up but not taking any overt hostile actions while Sajan pins the thing.

As Sajan's grip tightens the creature appears to panic, opening its mouth wide. Unbelievably, it rapidly spits out a stream of small rocks that hit a surprised Sajan squarely in the torso, bruising him.

1d8 ⇒ 8 bludgeoning damage
Reflex 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 7 - 2 = 6 (grappled condition) fail

Seeing its most powerful attack fail to fell its attacker the creature sags and the monk pins it forcefully.

You do not know who Andgrronakrraks is! You should not treat Andgrronakrraks this way! You humans are not acting as humans should! It manages miserably, unable to do more than wriggle.

You can tie it if you like, its not practically getting out of the pin.


Also I neglected to include.

Knowledge Dungeoneering DC 15:

Looking around the room you can't help but feel that everything you are seeing, feeling and smelling about this cave complex is not what it should be. The level of geo-thermal activity is simply completely inconsistent with the geology. The Barrier Mountains are extremely stable, a legacy of the extensive underground network connecting the surface with the Darklands below.

If you can make a DC 25 I'll cough up some more information.

Only Khalid has ranks here I think.


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Max damage and a 1 on the save? Why do you hate Sajan so much :P.

Sajan ties the thing up, finally answering Nuveril.

Because we do not yet know its purpose. Do your tribe slaughter any creature that moves when travelling the plains?

Tied up and effectively helpless, Sajan presents the creature to Khalid.


Sajan Krama Sumna wrote:

Max damage and a 1 on the save? Why do you hate Sajan so much :P.

I had to laugh. It was a low DC even with the -2 and I was expecting a humorous evasion.

Sovereign Court

HP: 49/49 AC: 22 Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 7

Knowledge (Dungeoneering):1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

"It is an earth mephit a creature from the elemental plane of earth. As Sajan has already found out, it has a breath weapon of a swirl of rocks. The creature can also soften stone and earth and can unreliably summon more of its own kind."

Khalid looks around the chamber and a slightly confused look crosses the inquisitor's face...

"Something just isn't right. I can't help but feel that everything we are seeing, feeling and smelling about this cave complex is not what it should be. The level of geo-thermal activity is simply completely inconsistent with the geology. The Barrier Mountains are extremely stable, a legacy of the extensive underground network connecting the surface with the Darklands below."

Turning his attention to the creature Sajan has in his grip...

"What is going on here? If you prove to be useful, you may yet survive this day...if not you most assuredly will not."

Intimidate:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


DM:

1d6 ⇒ 5 x 10

The mephit quails in response to Khalid's direct threat. +4 for size difference.

Do not kill Andgrronakrraks! Andgrronakrraks is a frriend! Yes, yes, a frriend to the humans! Untie Andgrronakrraks and he can go fetch the fierry ones for you. You wish a favour yes?

And Andgrronakrraks is generrous, generrous and helpful! He will not tell the fierry ones that you mistrreated Andgrronakrraks. They are verry fond of Andgrronakrraks and may be unhappy. But Andgrronakrraks will not tell!

It takes a while for him to get it all out. He's a slow, ponderous speaker.

301 to 350 of 2,347 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Dan E’s Legacy of Fire: House of the Beast All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.