Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Dan E’s Legacy of Fire (Inactive)

Game Master Dan E

Recruited to reclaim the town of Kelmarane from a tribe of gnolls, six adventurers find themselves caught up in a series of events that may change the face of Katapesh: the Legacy of Fire.


2,101 to 2,150 of 2,347 << first < prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | next > last >>

Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

You should have followed me into the pit little lion! It would have been good to be therrre with a frrriend, even one as foul temperrred as yourrrself...
Grall bellows with laughter before stopping to cough up some blood.

You are right about rage points, here is the quote. "The total number of rounds of rage per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours do not need to be consecutive."
so we will have full rage starting once we wake up again. Good...


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 6 | hp 56/64 (68/76 raging)

"None of us but you could see in that darkness," she reminds him. "We were ready for the demon on both sides; it would have had to come out to some of us, if the elf had not dropped it in a pit and you had not gone in after it instead of letting anyone else share the fight. Many times a warrior has to fight alone, but you chose to fight alone. You could have stayed and fought by my side, but you did not deem me -- any of us -- worthy!"


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

You arrre worrrthy to die by my side at any time Nuverrril. he grins back at her,
The crrreaturrre could scale walls as easily as we walk. You could not rrreach it to fight it if it got out. It could easily scale out and rrreturrrn to the surrrface to rrreporrrt. Orrr it could have drrropped the darrrkness on Sajan and killed him in it.
I am sorrrry, I was best suited to go down therrre and destrrroy it.

He looks at the other party members, I know what you would say, don't act so foolishly...perrrhaps you arrre rrright. But know this, I will sacrrrifice my life to save yourrrs. It has and will always be this way.

He turns his head, not able to look them in the face for the moment...


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 6 | hp 56/64 (68/76 raging)

"Keep your life!" she snaps back. "I never asked for it. I would rather die a warrior's death than live a coward's life, my survival bought by the blood of another while I stood idly by." She stalks off angrily, throwing down her weapons with a loud clatter before lying back down by the fire, her back to the rest of the party.

Qadira

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

Khalid stands silently, listening to the arguement between Grall and Nuveril. After the halfling stalks off, the inquisitor approaches Grall.

"I know you were trying to do what you thought was right, my friend, but there is no need to take such risks. Protecting the rest of us is one thing, but do know that we are stronger if we can work together." Having said what he wanted the inquisitor begins to walk back to the fire.

"Or at least that is what I believe Nuveril was saying in her ever-so-diplomatic way." he adds with a small grin and a wink in the direction of the halfling.


Human Bard 1 Paladin 8 | hp 74/74 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 5/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14
Grall wrote:

Are we even in any shape to try and move out? Most of Linah spells are gone and will not be recovered as they were cast overnight. Most of her channels were burned as well I would imagine?

Not sure if we should rest again and try to head out the morning of day 4? Can we afford to rest again?
Should we chance it and try and make a run for it? I will get 6 more rounds of rage back so I will have 11 rounds worth and we have some scrolls left...

Don't i recover spells each morning as i pray for spells?

"Enough!", Linah snaps at Nuveril when she's at the end of her tirade. "This is not a contest! This is not something we do for glory. We came here to stop the carrion king, and that is what we did. You should be happy that we are healing Grall's wounds instead of burying him here!"


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager
Khalid Al Ha'zareen wrote:

Khalid stands silently, listening to the arguement between Grall and Nuveril. After the halfling stalks off, the inquisitor approaches Grall.

"I know you were trying to do what you thought was right, my friend, but there is no need to take such risks. Protecting the rest of us is one thing, but do know that we are stronger if we can work together." Having said what he wanted the inquisitor begins to walk back to the fire.

"Or at least that is what I believe Nuveril was saying in her ever-so-diplomatic way." he adds with a small grin and a wink in the direction of the halfling.

I know Khalid...she has not found herrr peace and herrr place in all of this yet. She will.

Sarrrenrrrae has given me my purpose in life. I am to oppose Rovagug and it's serrrvants until she calls me to herrr. That day I will stand beforrre herrr and she will lift the pain from me...finally.

@ Linah, I am cerrrrtainly glad you arrre healing my wounds vs. the otherrr choice... he grins at her. He then lays his head down in her lap as she tends to his massive wounds and falls into a deep sleep, shutting out the pain for a while.

I know, woe is me...lol.


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 6 | hp 56/64 (68/76 raging)
Linah Jamil'Kaid wrote:
"Enough!", Linah snaps at Nuveril when she's at the end of her tirade. "This is not a contest! This is not something we do for glory. We came here to stop the carrion king, and that is what we did. You should be happy that we are healing Grall's wounds instead of burying him here!"

"I do it for glory!" Nuveril retorts. "Why do you think I am here? Why did I leave my tribe? Not for Kelmarane, not for you, and certainly not for your Sun-Lady who turns a blind eye to the sufferings of those who follow her. I will not die for any of you. If I die, I die for me, to earn my place among the warrior-ancestors."


hp 34/38; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 6

"And how much glory will be enough, Nuveril?"

Zeladiel makes his way wearily back to the campfire, and dreams of fallen friends long gone.
After awakening, he studies his book intently for an hour, then asks Sajan for the greatsword. He lays it gently down and mutters some words over it to gain insight into its abilities.

identify


Even with his spell Zeladiel has a lot of trouble with the sword, the weapon obviously powerfully enchanted as well as being empowered by one of his opposition schools.

Bending all of his concentration to the task he succeeds though, although his brush with the necromantic magic used in the creation of the thing makes it difficult for him to hold down his rough breakfast.

Greatsword +2 of lifestealing

As you break hopefully your last camp underground you look around at each other. Unresolved tension from last night's argument evidently remains. You are dirty, smelly and tired. Above waits an uncertain although clearly highly unfriendly reception. How many gnolls remain and how many have fled with the Carrion King's demise? How must mischief has the devious jann been able to work? How powerful is this remaining priest?

Grall:

You can't help but note that you still have encountered no sign of your aunt..

Shortly it seems you will find out.

Sajan has been quiet since last night's battle and avoided the argument thereafter. The monk is not skilled at keeping his emotions hidden though and clearly had some issues with Grall's actions. The Vudrani has often declared his own role as protector of the group. While he and Grall work so often in tandem it is not difficult to surmise that the monk saw their balance at least partly upset.

Without making an issue of it the monk makes sure he is at point as you journey upward, lantern in hand.

Linah to confirm her spells and the group generally to confirm any preparations before we proceed.


Human Bard 1 Paladin 8 | hp 74/74 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 5/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14

Cast Lesser restoration on Grall: 1d4 ⇒ 2
Cast Lesser restoration on Grall: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Cast Lesser restoration on myself: 1d4 ⇒ 1
Oh, nice timeing.

"If glory is all that you seek then perhaps you shall seek it elsewhere", Linah replies and immediately regrets her choice of words. She sighs and tries to wipe the fatigue out of her eyes. "This is difficult enough without us fighting eachother. You have your beliefs and i respect them, but please try and find your enemies outside of the group."

Spell selection is up to date

Grall wrote:


@ Linah, I am cerrrrtainly glad you arrre healing my wounds vs. the otherrr choice... he grins at her. He then lays his head down in her lap as she tends to his massive wounds and falls into a deep sleep, shutting out the pain for a while.

Oh, how sweet :)


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

Grall will ask Zel to cast a scroll of blur on him just before we open the throne and will have his potion of enlarge in his hand ready to drink.
Maybe a bless on the party? Maybe we should hold on on the Bull's STR in case they are not waiting right at the throne area?


Human Bard 1 Paladin 8 | hp 74/74 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 5/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14
Grall wrote:

Grall will ask Zel to cast a scroll of blur on him just before we open the throne and will have his potion of enlarge in his hand ready to drink.

Maybe a bless on the party? Maybe we should hold on on the Bull's STR in case they are not waiting right at the throne area?

I can always hold on to the bless until we enter combat. It's not like i can contribute with much else :)


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

I don't want the sword, but maybe I should hold onto it forrr now since I can use it best?

Grall is up to max Con & HP again...feels good to have my hit points and rage back!

That's fine about the bless, just worried that if they are waiting for us then it will be hard to get off some spells as well as be healing us but probably a better plan.

Qadira

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

"That would seem to be reasonable, Grall." the inquisitor says, preparing for the battle to come.

Once we are past the slime pit, and ready to head back up to the garden, Khalid will cast See Invisibility, Weapon of Awe and Shield of Faith. Just before heading back up into the Carrion Throne room, he will cast Divine Favor


It will probably help to clarify that you make it back to the garden without incident. Going to assume you buff and head up the steps, Sajan and Grall in the lead, all lights sources used, the former triggers the door mechanism while Khalid casts his divine favor, up you go. Unless you tell me differently.


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

Grall's bur probably wouldn't be cast until we are ready to go into the throne room. Other than that fine with me...


Your standing in the garden. So as I understand the plan is.

Enlarge (Grall, Sajan) (scrolls)
Bulls Strength (Grall, Sajan, Nuveril) (scrolls and spell)
See Invisibility (Khalid)
Weapon of Awe (Khalid)
Shield of Faith (Kahalid)
Mage Armor (Sajan, Zeladiel)
Light (Khalid, Linah) on their weapons
Bullseye lantern (Sajan)

Just as you trigger the mechanism (presumably Sajan in the lead?) and enter room

Blur (Grall) Zeladiel to cast
Divine Favor (Khalid)

Sound right? OK the one problem I have with this is that enlarged Sajan and Grall aren't going to physically fit on the steps (nearly 7' tall each so they end up 14'). They can have potions out though.

Can Linah do a check on consumables at some point, it is not clear to me how many wand charges / scrolls you have left.


Human Bard 1 Paladin 8 | hp 74/74 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 5/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14

Updated my inventory. I have one wand of cure light wounds with 36 charges left. I've removed 3 scrolls of Bull's Strength to buff Grall, Sajan and Nuveril. The enlargements have to wait until we move from the stairs. I can give one scroll to Zeladiel so we can enlarge both Grall and Sajan on the same round.


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

Good to me. Let's hope thee is something on the other side...


Human Bard 1 Paladin 8 | hp 74/74 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 5/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14
Grall wrote:
Good to me. Let's hope thee is something on the other side...

I wouldn't mind an empty temple that lets us walk out and back to Kelmare unmolested :)


OK its going to take me some time to get the map up so we can ret-con prep as we need to.

With your preparations mostly complete you move up the steps. The way to the main temple is closed, the block of stone beneath the Carrion Throne in place. As Sajan reaches for the mechanism, Grall closely behind, Khalid and Zeladiel begin to cast their spells.

As the monk's hand brushes the lever, there is an explosion of force and sound, a sonic blast that rushes outwards over the monk and Grall. Almost unbelievably especially given the close confines, Sajan manages to move up and out of the way, emerging unharmed.

Glyph of Warding 5d8 ⇒ (5, 1, 8, 8, 7) = 29 sonic damage (ouch)
DC 16 reflex save for half

Sajan Reflex 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23 pass and no damage with evasion

The monk reaches out to complete the task and the slab pivots with a grinding noise. Not waiting to see how Grall has fared he darts into the room above to a chorus of gnollish yips...


hp 34/38; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 6

One scroll of Blur removed. Mage Armour and Pearl of Power marked used too.

Zeladiel is carrying the party wand of Bull's Strength (9 charges).
Bull's Strength, lasting minutes, should also be precast.
Ditto Gravity Bow and maybe Enlarge Person, though Dan points out the space reasons against an early Enlarge. Spells from Zeladiel would be cast before the spells from scrolls, wands etc, since they last 6 minutes as opposed to 3.
Zeladiel also has Haste, Stinking Cloud and Fireball as first round options- the latter two avoid friendly fire best on the first round. While Haste is awesome for position and bonus attacks, the bonus attacks won't kick in until positions are already set up, making it a tempting 2nd round spell.


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

Grall attempts to avoid some of the damage...
Reflex Save 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23 still ouch
But still takes a blow from the sonic blast, although he was able to avoid some of it...

Rage Rounds: 18/18
HP: 74/88
AC: 18
Blur: 29/30
Bull's STR 27/30
Enlarge*not started yet

Stinking cloud first round maybe to negate archers and line of sight spell casters??


Revised buff list

Enlarge (Grall, Sajan) (scrolls)
Bulls Strength (Grall, Sajan, Nuveril) (scrolls and spell)
See Invisibility (Khalid)
Weapon of Awe (Khalid)
Shield of Faith (Kahalid)
Mage Armor (Sajan, Zeladiel)
Blur (Grall)
Divine Favor (Khalid)
Gravity Bow (Zeladiel)

Light (Khalid, Linah) on their weapons
Bullseye lantern (Sajan)

Not going to have this up before the weekend so feel free to roll your own initiatives in the interim.


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

Init 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Qadira

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

Initiative:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

BTW, typically Sajan goes first since he has much better defenses than Grall. Then again I think that is the case with everyone.


hp 34/38; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 6

Initiative 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
(Gravity Bow marked as cast.)


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 6 | hp 56/64 (68/76 raging)

Initiative 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Human Bard 1 Paladin 8 | hp 74/74 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 5/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12


Please read the description below carefully in conjunction with the maps.

Clearing the stairs and emerging on the stone platform surrounding the throne, Sajan swings his lantern in a full circle as gnoll cries resound around the temple, an almost deafening cacophony.

The gnolls have been busy in your absence.

The fire pits are dark, their fires extinguished and the full chamber is in darkness except for your own light sources.

The pit of carrion, rubble and garbage has been excavated. Where before the contents were level ten feet below the pit lip, the half closer to you has been dug out to the floor a good 25' down, the material transferred to the other side which slopes up. A barrier about 8' high spills over the pit lip and now blocks sight of the platform to the south and indeed most of the rest of the room except for a path on each side of the room and the far steps, which curve around above it.

Sajan's light goes round clockwise and he illuminates enemies as he goes.

Four gnolls block each of the southern channels, two with scimitars and heavy shields and two with those heavy compound bows. They look like the vestiges of the Carrion elite in their black cloaks and chainshirts.

Behind them and the source of most of the noise look like dozens, perhaps scores of gnolls. They crowd the great stairs and it seems the areas directly below and above them. Armed with a variety of weapons they shake them and howl at the first sight of the group. Whether they are ready to launch themselves into battle though is unclear.

In the half circular channel around the pit, your immediate vicinity, the light bounces off a score or so of shambling figures. Gnolls. Or at least they were in life. Their bodies still bear the mark of the carnage you inflicted on them a few days before. Two are missing arms, several have holes that you can see all the way through. The gnolls that defended the King's chamber, raised by unholy magic to do so again. They stumble forward toward you, arms outstretched and their moans add to the gnoll's calls. They do not bear weapons.

Beyond the barrier the sound of chanting rises. You can hear growls from there as well even over the rest of the noise.

Gnoll Killers

Round 1

Initiative

Sajan 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Carrion Guard Archers 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Carrion Guard 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Gnoll Zombies 1d20 ⇒ 14
??

Ordered Initiative

Khalid 25
Nuveril 22
Carrion Guard 16
Sajan 15
Gnoll Zombies 14
Carrion Guard Archers 12a
Linah 12b
Zeladiel 9
Grall 8
?

DM only:

ph 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
pa 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4
z 1d20 ⇒ 12
tt 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
u 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Effects

Bulls Strength (Grall, Sajan, Nuveril)
See Invisibility (Khalid)
Weapon of Awe (Khalid)
Shield of Faith (Kahalid)
Mage Armor (Sajan, Zeladiel)
Blur (Grall)
Divine Favor (Khalid)
Gravity Bow (Zeladiel)

Notes

- Note darkness rules as normal. A light spell (Khalid, Linah) casts 20' of normal light and a further 20' of dim light. Sajan currently has his light pointed north showing the nearby zombies.

- The 8' high barrier of carrion and rubble is blocking LOS to the middle of the chamber.

- The pit is 25' deep at its northern section, it slopes up to the barrier at the south.

Maps

Zoomed out MAP

Battle map MAP

Perception DC 15:

You can see that the excavations have unearthed a wide tunnel that extends through the northern wall of the pit, just to the right of the platform section your standing on

Linah and Zeladiel are just below on the steps. Call it 5' of movement to make it to Khalid's square which is the entry point.

Khalid up.


Khalid:

I will advise if something comes into vision with see invisibility.

Qadira

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

Perception:1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22

"Heads up. It looks as if they have unearthed a wide tunnel in the northern wall of the pit, gods only know what will be coming through it." the inquisitor says, calling forth Sarenrae's judgement to protect him before moving to hack into one of the zombie gnolls.

Swift action: Protection Judgement = +2 AC (25 Total, 29 vs. AoO). Move to (-F,19), Attack Zombie Gnoll in (-G,19).

Attack:1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 9 + 2 = 31 (divine favor)
Damage:1d6 + 5 + 1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 5 + (4) + 2 + 2 = 17 (frost, divine favor, weapon of awe)

Confirm:1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 9 + 2 = 12 (divine favor)
Damage:1d6 + 5 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 16 (divine favor, weapon of awe, Flame of the Dawnflower)

Well at least that "1" was burnt on a confirmation and not a normal attack...


Khalid's blade arcs deep into the neck of the closest zombie, dropping it near instantly.

Nuveril


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 6 | hp 56/64 (68/76 raging)

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Following the light Khalid bears, Nuveril ducks around Grall and swings her hammer at the knee of the nearest undead gnoll standing between her and the surface.

Move to -F 17; Attack zombie in -G 17: hammer 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 10 + 1 = 31 damage 1d6 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 9 + 1 = 11
confirm 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 10 + 1 + 1 = 16 maybe damage? 2d6 + 18 + 2 ⇒ (1, 4) + 18 + 2 = 25 = 36 total damage if a 16 doesn't hit

Round 1, Init 22
Power Attack, Gnoll Hunter, Power Attack, bull's strength, Low Blow
AC 22, CMD 23

Not sure if Gnoll Hunter applies to undead gnolls? If not, take 1 away from hit and damage (although rolling 1s on damage, I'm going to miss it with zombie DR in play and the wrong kind of weapon). :P


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

Grall will drink the potion of Enlarge and stay in the 4 squares D,E/16,17.

He yells out to the Gnolls,

Gnoll:

I am Grall, slayer of the Carrion King. On my back lies his axe, truth of my claim of victory over him. Grall turns his back to them so they can see it plainly.
Bring forth any who would stand against me and my claim...I am the hunter, you are prey!

Grall enters his rage...

Rage Rounds: 17/18
HP: 92/106
AC: 16
Blur: 28/30
Bull's STR 26/30
Enlarge 10/10
CMB: +14 CMD: 27


Nuveril also drops her target with a single hit, her hammer smashing straight through one knee and shattering the other for good measure. Folding onto its face the zombie jerks once before lying still.

Type becomes undead but no problem on the crit.

The scimitar wielding guards hold their positions. Delaying

Sajan moves quickly through the gap Khalid and Nuveril created, drinking his potion as he goes and trusting on his agility and magical defenses to defend against the horde. -I,-H,17,18

Lots of zombies to move and Linah will need a map update so chain to be continued.


Grall wrote:

Grall will drink the potion of Enlarge and stay in the 4 squares D,E/16,17.

He yells out to the Gnolls,
** spoiler omitted **

Grall enters his rage...

Rage Rounds: 17/18
HP: 92/106
AC: 16
Blur: 28/30
Bull's STR 26/30
Enlarge 10/10
CMB: +14 CMD: 27

Not a mechanical action as such but a little more than that going on. Give me an intimidate check.


As per discussion thread Alex seems back so I'll let him take his action as normal.


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

intimidate 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Sajan drunk the potion in his hand, swelling to ogre-size once again. He then leapt over the others to land on the beginning of the eastern turn, trying to give the others room enough to fight.

Jump to -IJ/2021 as part of movement. Won't roll Acro as he has auto-pass and then some.


With only a slight flex of his knees Sajan leaps over part of the pit landing between three of the zombies.

As one the horde staggers forward. There is no direction to their attack, no co-ordination, as they move toward the closest warm flesh, those that have a direct line managing to launch attacks after their shambling run. Sajan finds himself quickly surrounded, the giant monk using a series of sweeping kicks and punches to hold the undead back. None of the zombies attempt to aid the others but the sheer number has the result that the monk always has several at his back and the attacks keeping coming.

Striking one back, he turns just in time to take a brutal punch in the stomache, driven with nearly all of the force the negative energy filled creature can summon. He takes another clip to the side before he can fully regain his balance but manages to avoid being clubbed to the ground by the mob. Several moves provoke, going to assume Sajan would attack one of those with a charging flank (neither of which hit) unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.

Slam vs Sajan 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 = 26 (flanking) hit poss crit
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Slam vs Sajan 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 2 = 23 (flanking) confirmed!
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Slam vs Sajan 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 4 + 2 + 2 = 18 (charge, flanking) miss
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Slam vs Sajan 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 2 = 22 (charge) hit
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Slam vs Sajan 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13 miss
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Slam vs Sajan 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 2 = 13 (charge) miss
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Slam vs Sajan 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 + 2 = 14 (charge, flanking) miss
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Slam vs Sajan 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 2 = 10 (flanking) miss
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Several shamble toward Nuveril and Khalid although only one is close enough to launch an attack. Perhaps distracted by the mass around Sajan, Nuveril is slow to respond, a swinging arm drives past the halfling's shield and smacks her solidly in the side of the head. Only the halfling's small size and agility stops the blow from being worse.

Slam vs Nuveril 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 = 26 (charge) hit poss crit
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Crit confirm? 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 4 + 2 = 21 (charge) no crit vs AC22!
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

The western archers re-position themselves slightly and fire at Grall, the only open target presently in view. There is no discussion between them and the nearby guards, they seem to be working to some plan of attack.

The first shot is good, grazing the gnoll's arm. The barbarian almost anticipating the searing pain of the poison the gnolls favor before it runs up his arm. The second zooms in at an almost identical angle to the first but continues to fly right past the gnoll, the shooter fooled by the blur. Fort save please

Arrow vs Grall 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 hit
1d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
1d100 ⇒ 86

Arrow vs Grall 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 hit
1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
1d100 ⇒ 5 blurred the second poison arrow!

The eastern ones hold their shots, perhaps waiting for a clear shot perhaps a specific target to present itself.

Khalid 25
Nuveril 22
Carrion Guard 16
Sajan 15
Gnoll Zombies 14
Carrion Guard Archers 12a (eastern on delay)
Linah 12b ACTING
Zeladiel 9
Grall 8 *
?

Going to try more repetition of the initiative order to make it clearer whose turn it is. * is you've posted.

MAP


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Sajan would take the first AOO that presented itself, which in theory might end up negating that first crit. As its also a flanking attack, seems logical. Its just irritating that now it appears i'm trying to justify hitting the one that critted him, when it would be his AOO anyway... Acting as bait for a bunch of zombies, my plan was just to down the first one that provoked. If that first one didn't, then fair enough.

As the first zombie approached him, Sajan attempted to send it tumbling to the ground with a leg sweep.

1d20 + 17 ⇒ (3) + 17 = 20 VS CMD

Assuming success, 1 hit on Sajan for 5 damage.


J,19 is one square to the west and prone.


hp 34/38; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 6

Behind Linah, Zeladiel puts his head tentatively above the steps and takes in the view. Using the steps for cover, he fires an arrow that lands amidst the eastern gnolls (F26) and bursts into a bank of fog that engulfs everything within twenty feet. The sounds of retching and gasping come from within the cloud.

Stinking Cloud (Fort DC 17)


Human Bard 1 Paladin 8 | hp 74/74 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 5/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14
DM Dan E wrote:
Linah 12b ACTING

Acting? Pfft, Linah is for real!

Round 1, initiative 12b
ac 19, touch 11, fleet-footed 20
fort +7, ref +4, will +9
cmd 16
hp 43/43
effects: light, bless

Linah takes a deep breath before following her companions out of the hole. The sight of the crowded hall almost halts her step and roots her to the spot but she does not allow herself to stop. She closes her eyes and throws herself into the mercy of her diety, unleashing a burst of positive energy in the mids of the undead horde.

Move to H19 provoking one AoO
Standard action to channel positive energy to harm undead: 3d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 4, 6) + 6 = 19 (DC15 will save for half, channel resistance bonus does not apply)


Linah rushes past the closest zombie but it is seemingly intent on beating Nuveril's brains in and it does little more than throw her a half-hearted slap which she brushes aside.

AOO Slam vs Linah 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 miss
1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

The priestess' channel takes the form of a pulse of brilliant white light that has even many of the gnolls yipping in disquiet. The blast of positive energy has a more material effect on the undead in range though. Seven are blown apart, re-animated flesh flying everywhere with the remaining four in range substantially damaged.

Will saves starting from -G,18 and going around. Eleven in range.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 fail
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22 pass
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16 pass
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14 fail
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12 fail
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11 fail
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 fail
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 fail
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 pass
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 pass
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12 fail

The brave priestess' show of might draws attention from the eastern archers, both firing their nocked arrows at her. The first misses a wound by a hair, glancing off her armour just below her exposed neck, while the second grazes her leg, the painful poison pumping into her as well. Fort save please.

Arrow vs Linah 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 2 = 18 miss vs AC 19
1d8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 2 = 8

Arrow vs Linah 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 2 = 21 hit
1d8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 2 = 10

A moment later and Zeladiel pops his head through the stair opening and responds, the elf conjuring a familiar ghastly green cloud right over the four eastern gnolls. With all of the noise its impossible to tell how many of the gnolls were affected but no arrows will be coming out of there any time soon.

DM only:

fort
a1 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
a2 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
s1 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
s2 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Grall drinks his potion, growing nearly as large as Sajan. His challenge rings around the chamber. Several of the far gnolls go so far as to cower away from the mighty barbarian and even the elite guards don't seem keen to rush in and try his strength but there is no answer to his challenge, at least yet....

Beneath your feet you can hear something scraping against the rock, coming closer up the wide tunnel the gnolls have dug out. Something large from the sound. Something very large ...

From beyond the barrier there is further chanting in gnoll.

Gnoll:

THKOT TAL! AVATAR OF DESTRUCTION. FATHER AND MOTHER TO OUR DREAD KING. COME! COME! DESTROY OUR ENEMIES!


Gnoll Killers

Round 2

Ordered Initiative

Khalid 25 ACTING
Nuveril 22
Carrion Guard 16
Sajan 15
Gnoll Zombies 14
W Carrion Guard Archers 12a
Linah 12b
E Carrion Guard Archers 12c
Zeladiel 9
Grall 8
?

Effects

Bulls Strength (Grall, Sajan, Nuveril)
Enlarge Person (Grall, Sajan)
See Invisibility (Khalid)
Weapon of Awe (Khalid)
Shield of Faith (Kahalid)
Mage Armor (Sajan, Zeladiel)
Blur (Grall)
Divine Favor (Khalid)
Gravity Bow (Zeladiel)
Jump (Sajan)

Notes

- Note darkness rules as normal. A light spell (Khalid, Linah) casts 20' of normal light and a further 20' of dim light.
- The 8' high barrier of carrion and rubble is blocking LOS to the middle of the chamber.
- The pit is 25' deep at its northern section, it slopes up to the barrier at the south.
- Stinking cloud is 20' high. It blocks LOS beyond 5'.

MAP

Qadira

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

Khalid, more than just a little impressed by Linah's bravery and power, moves to hack into another zombie.

"Avatar of Destruction? That sounds problematic at best."

[ooc]Move to (-I,18) via Linah's square, Attack (-I,17)

Attack:1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 9 + 2 = 14 (divine favor)
Damage:1d6 + 5 + 1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 5 + (6) + 2 + 2 = 20 (frost, divine favor, weapon of awe)

2,101 to 2,150 of 2,347 << first < prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Dan E’s Legacy of Fire: House of the Beast All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.