Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Dan E’s Legacy of Fire (Inactive)

Game Master Dan E

Recruited to reclaim the town of Kelmarane from a tribe of gnolls, six adventurers find themselves caught up in a series of events that may change the face of Katapesh: the Legacy of Fire.


1,651 to 1,700 of 2,347 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>

I might have been a wee bit hasty above in relation to Khalid's knowledge check but then I'm not sure how familiar you all are collectively with the setting. Aside from the names the journal did reference "Dogtown" which is a well known mainly gnoll district just outside of the walls of Katapesh. Khalid and any Katapesh resident (ie Zeladiel) would be aware of this. Next update beyond the bronze door!


Human Bard 1 Paladin 9 | hp 82/82 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 6/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14

Recovery
Some of Linah's strength slowly return and when Grall lifts her there's enough to keep her on her feet. The pressure she felt of not being able to live up to the worlds expectations had been pooling up for some time and the edimmu's assault had weakened her to the point that she could not hold it within herself. As much as she felt embarassed of shattering the image of herself it still felt good to let it all out. "I am sorry. I am just a little tired", Linah says wearliy. "Thank you both."

Present
"We must press on. If there are forces looking for the seed, we must make sure that they never possess it."

She looks at Zeladiel. "You or i might not know how to destroy it, but there must be someone who knows. I am sure that my old mentor Khalib can tell us, or point us in the right direction."

I won't be able to post more until saturday, but Linah is ready to push herself forward.


Forging on, the group very carefully makes their way across the posts to the far alcove, Sajan again leaping ahead while Zeladiel takes the more indirect route with his boots.

The passage beyond the alcove is 10' wide and Grall and Sajan take the lead. You are soon at the bronze doors another 40' or so along.

Alert for traps, the two try the door. They are heavy but yield to the two easily enough, opening outwards.

Directly beyond is enough to make even the most jaded tomb raider hold their breath.

An oddly shaped chamber, seemingly some kind of temple with a sand covered floor and a high (30') domed roof. The room shows signs of damage, with deep cracks running across the floors, walls, and ceiling.

But it is what is in the center that draws your eyes. A huge and horrific, bloated, octopus-like thing. From its pale, yellow shapeless body sprout ten long tentacles tipped with cruel barbed pads. The whole thing body, tentacles and all is seemingly frozen in a thick shell of translucent minerals that coats the thing like a second skin.

The beast, the waiting beast it must be, rests over and covers what seems to be a low stone pedastal. The main part of it is hidden beyond the creature's bulk.

A line of runes, drawn into the stone floor and partly covered by sand, surrounds the thing in an even circle about 5' from its body.

On the floor directly beyond the door, words are carved into the stone in a strange language.

Terran:

And lo, those who speak not the truths of Rovagug shall be the first to be consumed by the Waiting Beast, guardian of the Seed.

The beast is large sized although it is difficult to assess precisely how far those tentacles could reach. It is completely motionless.

MAP. Note this is a 10' scale (unlike the previous chamber, AP map a bit borked).


Assume people are waiting for Zeladiel to translate. People might like to knowledge in the interim.


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 6 | hp 56/64 (68/76 raging)

Somehow I doubt Knowledge (nature) has anything to say about subterranean, dry-land octopi encased in minerals. :P 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 Ah, well, it's a low roll out of the way.


Its big! And octopus like!


hp 34/38; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 6

Zeladiel translates. (You may now officially peek at the spoiler :-)

Edit: And casts Gravity Bow.

Sovereign Court

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

Sounds like an aberration to me...

Knowledge(Dungeoneering):1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25


A magical beast but helpfully your ID checks are equivalent. I'll spoiler but assume Khalid immediately relays.

Khalid:

You identify the creature as a sand kraken albeit a particularly large and possibly magically influenced version. A very dangerous creature usually only encountered in the deep desert. Typically the creature keeps its body well buried in the sand attacking those who pass by with its tentacles, each of which has its own secondary brain and can attack independently. The tentacles can be harmed and severed although the only true way to kill the kraken is to destroy its body. Its main advantage is its ability to hide itself, something obviously not applicable here.

The mineral coating on the other hand you cannot identify. It does not seem intrinsic to the beast.

Overall an odd guardian, although one well suited to the particular monstrous leanings of a Rovagugian cult.

Sovereign Court

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

Assumption is correct. Feel free to read the spoiler :)


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

I am Guessing when we enterrr the rrroom the crrreaturrre will come to life orrr set off a trrrap. We should cast some defensive spells first and then Sajan and I should move in followed by the rrrest of you. We have the best chance of rrresisting its grrrasp...

Grall asks for a Bull's STR and a Blur...maybe a bless wouldn't hurt as well.
Do we have Grease?

Sovereign Court

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

In preparation for the upcoming battle, Khalid casts a trio of spells, Shield of Faith, Divine Favor, and Weapon of Awe


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 6 | hp 56/64 (68/76 raging)

"Do you not remember the thief's writing?" Nuveril asks. "This is the way past he spoke of: to 'speak the truths of Rovagug.' Advance mouthing the platitudes of his religion, and the beast should let you pass."

C'mon, it's just a little blasphemy. Sarenrae will understand. ;)


hp 34/38; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 6

"Well noted Nuveril. Still, precautions cannot hurt."

Blur on Grall.

Then detect magic


Zeladiel detects a strong transmuation aura around the beast, a lesser one from the runes. The two seem linked somehow but it is difficult to discern. This whole place reeks of old magic and concentracting on the cantrip quickly gives him a throbbing headache.


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Sajan racked his mind for what the "truths of Rovagug" referred to.

Linah make a roll too. Spending a ki for +4.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30 Knowledge (Religion)

If we must fight, let us do it at full strength. Linah, I am still wounded.

1 channel? I'm loathe to drink potions when Linah has so many left I guess :).


The answer to the riddle does not automatically follow from what Sajan can recall, even though the normally slower witted monk can remember a truly impressive amount about Rovagugian worshipping traditions, their rituals and litanies (perhaps a function of his anti-gnollish crusade).

He can recall several catchisms entire. Bleak stuff, invoking themes of slaughter, freedom for the dread God himself and the consequent destruction of the material plane. Generically, if anything comes close to the "truths" of Rovagug it is in those disturbing prayers.


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Sajan muttered his way through several fragments of prayers to Rovagug, but in the end shook his head.

We can wait for Linah to make a roll but she can't actually score as high as Sajan just rolled, better to move on I feel.

We will have to face it

Still hoping for some renewable healing from the sources available, but if it isn't forthcoming Sajan will drink his newly acquired potion- 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (4, 5) + 3 = 12

If Linah is willing, i'd appreciate the bulls strength. It has the greatest net affect on me as I can get 4 attacks going, plus if this beast needs grappling the str score has even more use.


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

We have some scrolls of Bull's STR as well. It wouldn't hurt to have both of us on Bull's STR.


hp 34/38; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 6

Zeladiel uses the party wand of bull's strength to supplement Linah's own spell. (One charge now removed)

"When everyone is ready, I'll send in an elemental."
Zeladiel pulls out the slightly bent ceramic rod with a shrunken chicken’s foot tied to one end.


Human Bard 1 Paladin 9 | hp 82/82 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 6/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14
Sajan Krama Sumna wrote:
If we must fight, let us do it at full strength. Linah, I am still wounded.

Actually Linah already healed you here. She will never let anyone go wounded unless she can help it.

Nuveril wrote:

"Do you not remember the thief's writing?" Nuveril asks. "This is the way past he spoke of: to 'speak the truths of Rovagug.' Advance mouthing the platitudes of his religion, and the beast should let you pass."

C'mon, it's just a little blasphemy. Sarenrae will understand. ;)

"The foul oaths to Rovagug should not be spoken by anyone", Linah tells Nuveril in a serious tone. She opens her mouth to continue but stops as Sajan mutters some of the prayers. Linah shoots the monk a look of disapproval but makes no atempt to stop him. "You should take care of what you say. You never know who is listening", she tells the monk once he's done, although out of concern rather than to berate.

"Sarenrae will bolster your strength before we move forward. The dawnflower provides" , Linah says then enchants those willing with divine strength. She puts extra emphasis on the dawnflower's name to stress the difference between the godess protective enchantments and Rovagug's destructive force.

Cast Bull's strength from my prepared spells on Sajan
Cast Bull's strength from a scroll on Nuveril if she accepts


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Thanks Linah, HP now updated. Haste on the group just before you send the elemental in might be a wise move.


hp 34/38; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 6

Haste is 1 round per level. Would much rather wait till the first round of combat than use it while the elemental explores.


Staying where you are in front of the door, your spellcasters cast their protective magics, each of you with at least one eye on the still completely unmoving beast. It is impossible, at least at this distance, to verify it is alive but you take no chances.

OK then I have:

Bull Strength (Sajan, Nuveril, Grall (last from wand))
Blur (Grall)
Shield of Faith, Divine Favor, Weapon of Awe (Khalid)
Mage Armour (Zeladiel, Sajan)
Zeladiel's prot evil has expired
Bless (mentioned but Linah hasn't confirmed; she has two though so assuming yes here)

Monster Summoning II and Divine Favor cast in final round. Assuming you will summon the former into a flanking position to start (or maybe Zeladiel wants to have it run around?). That would put Zeladiel in the 2nd rank so order lined up behind the doors, say.

G S
Z N
K L

Cross off the resources. Map up later today so will give you reasonable window to confirm.


hp 34/38; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 6

(Zeladiel was intending to stay up the back, summon Terry in the doorway and have it enter and wander through the room.)


Do I get to whip out this alias again? :P.


I only just got around to removing it from the player tab :)

OK elemental in front, normal party order.


Bwahahaha...


Human Bard 1 Paladin 9 | hp 82/82 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 6/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14

Yeah, bless seems like a good thing to do.

While Zeladiel summons his earthen servant Linah concludes her preparation by betowing a blessing from the dawnflower on the party.

Cast Bull's strength on Sajan
Cast Bull's strength (from scroll) on Nuveril
Cast Bless
I've also decided it would be kind of metagamey (and non-Linah-like) to hold on to the Protection from evil, communal because i think there's other stuff down here, so i'll cast that one two. I was thinking to give 2 minutes a piece to Grall, Sajan and Nuveril. Khalid has one himself (i think) and me and Zeladiel won't be entering melee (i hope:) Sounds good?
Profile updated


Linah Jamil'Kaid wrote:


I've also decided it would be kind of metagamey (and non-Linah-like) to hold on to the Protection from evil, communal because i think there's other stuff down here, so i'll cast that one two. I was thinking to give 2 minutes a piece to Grall, Sajan and Nuveril. Khalid has one himself (i think) and me and Zeladiel won't be entering melee (i hope:) Sounds good?
Profile updated

As you like although I don't think its metagamey for Linah to be unsure whether the many tentacled octopus monster is actually evil as opposed to merely large and ugly looking. At an absolute meta level Khalid's knowledge roll would have been good enough to pick up a particular fiendish taint if one existed.


Human Bard 1 Paladin 9 | hp 82/82 | Bardic Performance 10/10, Channel 6/6, Lay on hands 12/12
Defenses:
AC 27 | F+13 R +14 W +14

Hmm, good point. Didn't really think of that. I'll think i'll take the friendly GM tip and skip the protection from evil :)


Your preparations complete, Zeladiel uses his wand while Khalid casts his shortest duration spell. Didn't mention but I assume the barbs rage this round as well?

The air in front of Grall shimmers and an earth elemental is summoned into existence, the rocky creature turning immediately to Zeladiel for instructions.

It is still turning though when the shell surrounding the beast breaks with the sound of hundreds of shattering crystals, the creature shaking off its calcite coating and coming to life.

You were prepared, so you thought, but not for it to be so damn fast. It should be slow, sluggish after waiting here for the Gods know how long. But in the blink of an eye the space between you is filled with a mass of reaching, writhing tentacles.

Only Khalid with his tremendous dexterity is able to get his feet moving first....

The Waiting Beast

Round 1

The Waiting Beast 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 !
Sajan 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 !
Khalid 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 !
Linah 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Grall 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Zeladiel 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Earth Elemental 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13

Tiebreak 1 WB 2 Khalid
1d2 ⇒ 2

Ordered Initiative

Khalid 26a
The Waiting Beast 26b
Sajan 24
Earth Elemental 13
Grall 12
Zeladiel 7
Linah 5

Effects

Bulls Strength (Sajan, Nuveril, Grall)
Blur (Grall)
Shield of Faith, Divine Favor, Weapon of Awe (Khalid)
Mage Armour (Zeladiel, Sajan)
Bless (all)

Notes
- Light is being provided by Sajan's lantern and light spells around Khalid and Linah (20' light as normal).

MAP.

An interesting decision for Khalid.


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

It dosn't look like it has reach Khalid, you should probably rush right in to get the flank...


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 6 | hp 56/64 (68/76 raging)

*koff* Initiative 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 Nuveril won't rage until her initiative (assuming she gets to participate in this encounter ;P) pre-emptive adrenaline seems a little odd to me.

Sovereign Court

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

Khalid says a quick prayer, pronouncing judgement on the guardian as he moves into the room and awaits either Grall, Sajan, or Nuveril to enter into a flank with him before striking...

Activate Protection Judgement, Move to (O,20), if by chance it has Combat Reflexes AC = 29 vs. AoO.

Delayed (Until Flank achieved) Attack:1d20 + 9 + 2 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 9 + 2 + 4 + 1 = 25 (divine favor, outflank, bless)
Damage:1d6 + 5 + 2 + 2 + 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 2 + 2 + (4) + (3) = 20 (divine favor, weapon of awe, precise strike, frost)

Here's hoping who ever flanks scores a crit...I'll get another swing due to outflank


Nuveril wrote:
*koff* Initiative 1d20+5 Nuveril won't rage until her initiative (assuming she gets to participate in this encounter ;P) pre-emptive adrenaline seems a little odd to me.

Ugh fail sorry. Thats what I get for typing in by hand rather than copying macro.


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Do you have a Shortkeys macro set up for init etc. now then? What reach does the creature appear to have?


I have a crib file on a zip drive as I post from multiple computers. Was just too lazy to grab it from the car after midnight. Sorry again Nuveril. Reach is about to be demonstrated. Think Khalid's action is technically a ready as opposed to a delay given he moves first.

Khalid lunges forward, the inquisitor using his incredible mobility to get in close under the storm of tentacles over his head. A single tentacle comes in low and Khalid adroitly hops over it, making it to the creature's side (O,20) and bathing its disgusting yellow form in soft white light.

AOO (combat reflexes) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19 miss
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Before the rest of you can follow the beast sets itself, shuffling forward (it shifts to P,Q,20,21) and sending its tentacles out like a billowing wave of yellow flesh and barbs. Khalid had it true, it seems like each tentacle is capable of operating independantly and all together it is a co-ordinated and horrific assault.

Those in the front catch the worst of it but the beast's tentacles are apparently long enough to touch even those at the back although Sajan and Grall provide a measure of cover. It has 30' reach with the tentacles, 10' with its bite.

Khalid sidesteps one tentacle but is clouted in the shoulder by a second, which winds around his left arm disturbingly quickly, the sharp barbs cutting into his skin.

Tentacle 1 vs Khalid 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (8) + 16 = 24 miss vs AC 25
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Tentacle 2 vs Khalid 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35 hit
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Grapple 1d20 + 17 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 17 + 4 = 24 (grab) success, Khalid grappled
Constrict 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Zeladiel's elemental is caught by two tentacles before it manages to do more than take a single plodding step. One grabs the hapless thing while the second rips its rocky head clean off, the remaining body fading away as its connection with the material plane is brutally severed.

Tentacle 3 vs Elemental 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (6) + 16 = 22 hit
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Tentacle 4 vs Elemental 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19 hit
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Grapple 1d20 + 17 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 17 + 4 = 38 (grab) success, elemental grappled
Constrict 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Grall meets a tentacle front on with his falchion, nicking its sides and driving it back. A second comes at him cunningly from the top. It looks like a sure strike on the out of position barbarian but the tentacle passes harmlessly through what should have been his head, fooled by the blur.

Tentacle 5 vs Grall 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17 miss
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Blur 1d100 ⇒ 64

Tentacle 6 vs Grall 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (15) + 16 = 31 hit
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Blur 1d100 ⇒ 14 miss !!

A heartbeat too slow to defend with his usual effectivness, Sajan is hit twice, one tentacle ripping into his hip while the second gashes his chest. The first tentacle wraps itself around his arm holding the lantern and the monk is reeled forward (fortunately to R,22 straight into Khalid's flank) although he manages to keep his footing.

Tentacle 7 vs Sajan 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28 hit
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Grapple 1d20 + 17 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 17 + 4 = 31 (grab) success, Sajan grappled
Constrict 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Tentacle 8 vs Sajan 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (7) + 16 = 23 hit
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

A tentacle whips past Sajan to attack Nuveril a few paces behind. The halfing is hit visciously in the face, blood spurting from a very possibly broken nose. Caught by the leg she is pulled in right after Sajan (to Q,22 not a flank).

Tentacle 9 vs Nuveril 1d20 + 16 - 4 ⇒ (20) + 16 - 4 = 32 (cover) hit poss crit
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Confirm? 1d20 + 16 - 4 ⇒ (20) + 16 - 4 = 32 (cover) crit (oh my)
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Grapple 1d20 + 17 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 17 + 4 - 4 = 29 (grab, cover) success, Nuveril grappled
Constrict 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Tentacle 10
1=Linah 2=Zeladiel
1d2 ⇒ 1

The last snakes through to grasp at Linah. With a moment more to prepare than Sajan and Nuveril the weakened priestess is ready though, interposing her heavy shield and using the fact that the tentacle is near at the end of its reach to keep it away from her body.

Tentacle 10 vs Linah 1d20 + 16 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 16 - 4 = 17 (cover) miss vs Linah's ff 20
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Sajan may have been pulled in against his will but his positioning provides an opening which Khalid is quick to take. The beast's body might look soft but it is extremely tough, the inquisitor's divine favor is just enough to drive Tempest through what the inquisitor guesses to be a vital spot.-2 to hit from grapple offset by its -4 to dex from grappling. Assume a strike on the body rather than a tentacle.

From the beast's gurgling shriek it is hurt. Far from done though, its shifts its body round to bite at the inquisitor. Held as he is the inquisitor cannot dodge effectively and takes a bite to the side that leaves him barely conscious... 4hp I believe?

Bite vs Khalid 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 11 - 2 = 26 (grappler) hit
2d6 + 3 ⇒ (2, 6) + 3 = 11

Well that was a lot d20s. You are up starting with Sajan. To recap it has shifted forward 5'. Khalid is at O,20 in a flank with Sajan. Nuveril is at Q,22. Khalid, Sajan, Nuveril and the beast have the grappled condition. Remember your - 2 to hit and hand restrictions. Recall mechanically it cannot maintain on more than one person so not a lot of point trying to break unless your desperate to move.

If you intend to aim at tentacles (including those holding you) please specify. Destroying a tentacle obviously frees you (or someone else) from grapple. We'll assume its obvious based on what Khalid told you that damaging a tentacle doesn't harm the main body.


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Still not sure about its reach. Do the tentacles also threaten 30 feet?

Also- conditional CMD: 32 CMD for grapples + trips. I assume this was surpassed by a 31 by virtue of flat-footed CMD? Finally, is each tentacle treated as a separate creature for the purpose of maintaining grapples etc.? How can Sajan go about grappling the creature and denying it tentacle attacks, if that is even possible.


Male HP(88/88 or 106*/106*) Gnoll Barbarian 6 - Invulnerable Rager

Does it appear to have a finite number of tentacles that it attacked with?
Zeladiel, I will wait forrr you to get yourrr speed magic up so we can destrrroy many of its tentacles... he seems to be waiting for a confirmation before moving.


1. 30' reach with the tentacles as above.

2. Yes Sajan only grabbed on the 1st hit due to flat footed (although the 2nd hit would have stolen that 20 on Nuveril for the grab). Reflected in "A heartbeat too slow to defend with his usual effectivness..". Edit: I make his normal sized ff CMD vs Grapple 30 yes?

3. Grapple rules fabulously bad at handling mutli-grapples and monstrous multi-limbed grapplers but following them the best I can. It didn't take the -20 to grapple with each limb independantly. It can grab more than one person in a full attack sequence but can't maintain on more than one graplee at a time as that requires a standard action for each. If Sajan succeeds on an opposed grapple check I would treat that as him becoming the controlling grappler as normal. I believe that wouldn't immediately free Khalid and Nuveril (although it would force the beast to drop them without the option of maintaining) but denies AOOs as usual.

Technically the "destroy the tentacle, free from grapple" thing is my invention and I think the strict RAW leaves you grappled regardless. However thats a step too silly for me and inconsistent with the part of its stat block that says "destroyed tentacles can't make attacks".


Grall wrote:

Does it appear to have a finite number of tentacles that it attacked with?

Zeladiel, I will wait forrr you to get yourrr speed magic up so we can destrrroy many of its tentacles... he seems to be waiting for a confirmation before moving.

10 tentacles as above.


hp 34/38; AC 17; Init +5 Male Elf Wizard (Evoker) 6

Zeladiel backs away from the writhing tentacles.
"One haste coming up."

Sovereign Court

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

DM Dan E:
Just a side note:
Combat Maneuver Defense: Each character and creature has a Combat Maneuver Defense (or CMD) that represents its ability to resist combat maneuvers. A creature's CMD is determined using the following formula:

CMD = 10 + Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + Dexterity modifier + special size modifier

The special size modifier for a creature's Combat Maneuver Defense is as follows: Fine –8, Diminutive –4, Tiny –2, Small –1, Medium +0, Large +1, Huge +2, Gargantuan +4, Colossal +8. Some feats and abilities grant a bonus to your CMD when resisting specific maneuvers. A creature can also add any circumstance, deflection, dodge, insight, luck, morale, profane, and sacred bonuses to AC to its CMD. Any penalties to a creature's AC also apply to its CMD. A flat-footed creature does not add its Dexterity bonus to its CMD.

So as written, all of the extra bonuses for this fight (+5 total) that are adding to Khalid's AC are also going into his CMD, therefore for his current CMD is 25 not 20. The grapple check of 24 will not do the job.


HP -12/64, AC 19/18/16 CMD 29, Speed 50 feet, F +8, R +8, W +11, P +12, In +4, AOO +12, EF 6/6, Ki 9/9

Sajan delayed, knowing he might need the edge Zeladiel's magic provided.

So for final clarity, i'm in a position to attack the main body (at the penalties for being grappled?


Khalid:

I made it your base of 20 (which I believe includes dodge) plus 4 for sof and judgement for total of 24.

Have I missed the last point, can't see it sorry.

Edit: Did I miss an upgrade on sof, let me check. Edit 2: Yup, sorry!


Guys I missed the 6th level upgrade on Khalid's sof. Makes his CMD 25 rather than 24 which means the grab missed by the hair on his arm, saving him 8hp and leaving him ungrappled.

Sajan is adjacent, can full attack the main body at - 2 to hit (although has a flank to cancel). With Grall and Sajan delaying to after Zeladiel's impulse, we're at Nuveril's impulse seeing if she will do the same. Zeladiel has declared his cast so happy for Grall/Sajan to post as soon as she does.

Sovereign Court

HP: 39/42 AC: 23 (SoF) Init: +6 Kelishite Human Inquisitor 6

DM Dan E:
We're 6th level now, SoF goes to +3

Edit: Damn Ninja DM's ;)


Khalid:

Further to above did Khalid have some strength damage that further reduces his CMD or did he heal that?

Edit: Found it, you were down 3 str from poison. However. You would have healed 1 overnight plus because you pretty much spent the rest of the day in the garden you had enough time for Linah to long term care you for the 2nd point. Putting you down only 1 and thus good.


Female Halfling Barbarian (superstitious) 6 | hp 56/64 (68/76 raging)

Since Grall technically can't ask Zeladiel for a haste until after her init when he's no longer flat-footed, I don't think she has any IC justification to wait.

Spitting her own blood out of her mouth, Nuveril tries to set her feet and brings her hammer down heavily on the tentacle that is trying to squeeze the life out of her.

Rage (round 5/16); Hammer 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30 damage 1d6 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

Round 1, Init 18
Power Attack, bless, bull's strength, grappled
AC 18, Touch AC 17
Fort 12, Ref 7, Will 6 (7 vs. spells & supernatural & SLAs)

HeroLab is handling all the conditions, but it doesn't seem to be taking away her shield bonus for being grappled. If you can't do anything that requires two hands, wouldn't that negate using your shield? AC should probably be 16.

1,651 to 1,700 of 2,347 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Dan E’s Legacy of Fire: House of the Beast All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.