Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Corvus' Carrion Crown PBP (Inactive)

Game Master CorvusRed

United by the death of a common friend and teacher, five heroes must face the horrors of Ustalav's past.


1,301 to 1,350 of 2,308 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>

female Half-elf Cleric-4

Iesha comments "I don't think destroying the place will work. Lady Hawkram said the five strongest spirts were fighting her and trying to escape. Those of us who were present at the town hall know what these spirits can do. We've also seen a rise in undead as the evil here affects the surrounding area. Every effect caused by these lost souls seems to have been designed to destroy the town that survived when they perished. I think we must destroy these main spirits first. Lady Hawkram also asked that we retrieve her husband's badge of office and give it to her. This will symbolically imbue her with the position and allow her to dispell the weaker spirits."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

"It's naught I'm seeing in there. Best we move on. And we have th' need, we'll return."


Female Human Bladebound Magus 4; Initiative +5; Perception +2; hp 22/34; AC 15 (11 touch, 14 flat-footed); Fort. +5/+6; Ref. +2; Will +4

"Very well," Eloise says, but her eyes do not leave the chains until everyone has moved away from the room. "Whereto next?"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

"A space I'm seeing to th' north of us, nigh to the outside wall. There first?"


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

"After you."


MAP

Area S13

The door creaks open, and the light reveals a horrifying sight.

Another privy, run down and collapsing from the onset of the years.

A long tense moment passes, all manner of horrific and revolting ideas of what objects could be haunted to what unsettling effect pass through the party's heads. But, thankfully, by the grace of whatever god would shine their influence over haunted bathrooms, nothing happens.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Peredur closes the door carefully, perhaps to avoid disturbing anything that might remain. "Back to th' hallway, then through th' door at th' north end?"


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

"Ah...as long as we're here...I'll catch up with you folks."

Heck pauses with his hand on the privy door, then reconsiders and follows along to the doors at the end of the north hallway.


Female Human Bladebound Magus 4; Initiative +5; Perception +2; hp 22/34; AC 15 (11 touch, 14 flat-footed); Fort. +5/+6; Ref. +2; Will +4

"Do it against a nice, clean wall if you can't hold it in," Eloise says, grinning. "You don't want whatever's down there to get ticked off by your tinkling and rise up while you're busy. You could get a nasty case of constipation that way."


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

Heck gives Eloise a shrug.

“We’ll all crap our pants when we die anyway. No point in taking time out now.”


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

"A comforting thought, to be sure...", says Talia with a smirk.


Female Human Bladebound Magus 4; Initiative +5; Perception +2; hp 22/34; AC 15 (11 touch, 14 flat-footed); Fort. +5/+6; Ref. +2; Will +4

"A good reason to go into battle hungry," Eloise says, still grinning. "If nothing else, you can frighten the enemy by looking at them with hunger in your eyes."


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

Sour Heck nods to Talia.

“I always try to look on the bright side. No use being a gloomy sort, with the world so horrible on its own! For example, I was thinking that it must be tremendously comforting to have a crow for a friend. You know that when the worst happens, at least someone you love will get a good meal.”

He raises an eyebrow at Eloise.

“Next time giant spiders attack, do your best to look hungry, and I’ll do my best to look unappetizing.”


Map

Area S14

Peredur leads the party back to the center hallway, past the stairs up, and the remains of the stairs going down. The haunting strains of what must be the Piper's flute drift down the stairs, but the party moves past to the north door. Peredur pushes it open, and reveals another mostly ruined room, illuminated by the sunlight that manages to get through the one small window.

Several moldy cots lay strewn around this room, while doors to smaller, more private sleeping cells hang askew to the west. Judging from the rest of this room’s decor, this must have once been the prison’s infirmary.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

"I'm thinking to see what's beyond th' small door across there. Shall we?" Alert for any apparition or other attack, Peredur advances into the room.


female Half-elf Cleric-4

Iesha cautiously follows Peredur into the room. "I wonder if any of these medicines are still viable?"


Female Human Bladebound Magus 4; Initiative +5; Perception +2; hp 22/34; AC 15 (11 touch, 14 flat-footed); Fort. +5/+6; Ref. +2; Will +4

Eloise makes a gesture, mutters a Word -- and then draws her sword again. "Better safe than sorry," she says by way of explanation.

Detect Magic, followed by readying my weapon.


DM SCREEN:

Iesha 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Peredur 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Sour Heck 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Talia 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Eloise 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
P: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Detect Magic:

Four distinct and similar auras of conjuration/healing magic are together on a shelfo n the back room.

As the party walks into the room, the flotsam of the ruined infirmary starts to rattle and shake. Scalpels, forceps, glass jars and the like slide around on counters and the floor.

The source of the disturbance soon reveals itself. A skeletal humanoid seems to slip into the party's sight, swathed in ethereal rags and red eyes burning with hatred, floating above the room. It lets out a piercing shriek, that seems to cut right through the party.

In a burst of feathers, Kieli flees, shrieking back down the hallway.

The creature then vanishes.

Surprise Round

Will saves:

Iesha 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Peredur 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Sour Heck 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Talia 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Eloise 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Sour Heck and Talia are gripped by an unnatural and powerful fear. Status Effect: Frightened

Knowledge: Religion DC 12:

This is clearly a poltergeist. Naturally invisible and intangible, they can only attack through telekinetic manipulation of the world around them. They can instill unnatural fear in the living.

Round 1
Initiative
Sour Heck - Frightened for 1d4 ⇒ 2 rounds
???
Eloise
Iesha
Peredur
Talita - Frightened for 1d4 ⇒ 3 rounds.

Frightened:

A frightened creature flees from the source of its fear as best it can. If unable to flee, it may fight. A frightened creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. A frightened creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Knowledge (Religion) check (incl. +2 for undead-related): 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 2 = 27

"'Ware, 'tis a poltergeist! Our blades won't bite on th' thing!"


female Half-elf Cleric-4

KN_Religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

"When I asked if those medicines were still viable, I didn't mean I wanted to test them!"

She summons Shelyn's energys and channels them toward the undead creature.

Channel_Energy_to_harm_undead: 1d6 ⇒ 2


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

Talia shrieks, and dashes after the crow, calling, "Kieli! Wait!"


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

DM Corvus, Sour Heck gets a +4 on will saves vs. fear, energy drain, death effects, and necromantic effects from the "Haunted Eyes" dirge bard power. Does a 17 save successfully vs. the fear?

My bad, since the bonus isn't listed in my description block...I just thought it was too long to fit in.


a 14 would have saved against the effect, so Heck is NOT affected by the fear and may act normally


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

Knowledge(Religion): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Sour Heck has no idea what that thing was, but he knows that the dead sometimes linger because they have unfinished business. He tries to think what clues a glimpse of the thing gave about what task it might be straining to accomplish, what duty left long undone has it anchored here.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

“It’s constipated!” he yells. “Lead it to the privy!”

That crazy bard. Does he take nothing seriously? Well, things can’t be that bad if he’s not frightened.

Sour Heck has begun to Inspire Courage. +1 morale to saves vs. fear, +1 competence to attack and damage.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.
DM Corvus wrote:
a 14 would have saved against the effect, so Heck is NOT affected by the fear and may act normally

Or what passes for normalcy for Sour Heck; who can tell?


The rattling becomes suddenly violent, and a spray of the miscellaneous debris seemingly hurls itself at the bard, leaving him with a few cuts and bruises.

attack roll1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
damage 1d4 ⇒ 3


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Damn me, there's naught I can do without knowing where it is. Peredur gets out his bow and nocks one of the ghost touch arrows, waiting for some sign of the creature. "Iesha! Use a haunt siphon on th' spirit!"


female Half-elf Cleric-4

Iesha will use a haunt siphon as her round 2 action.


Female Human Bladebound Magus 4; Initiative +5; Perception +2; hp 22/34; AC 15 (11 touch, 14 flat-footed); Fort. +5/+6; Ref. +2; Will +4

"Wait!" Eloise shouts. "There are items of healing magic in this room! Over there! If someone can just run in and out with them, we need not fight this battle!"

Turning to Peredur, she asks: "What of magic weapons? Would those touch the thing?"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

"It's not knowing I am, but 'tis worth a try--if you can find th' thing."


Round 2

Initiative
Sour Heck @ -3 hp
Poltergeist @ -2 hp
Eloise
Iesha
Peredur
Talita - Frightened for 2 rounds.

The spirit howls and keens as Iesha's holy energy burns away at it. It's howl turns to anger and it hurls more debris at her.

attack roll 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
damage 1d4 ⇒ 4

Iesha, if you wish to adjust that action please feel free to do so, in light of Heck and Eloise acting before you this round.


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

Sour Heck shields his face with his hands to protect his eyes from flying splinters. He shouts to Eloise, “Grab them, then, and let’s leave this poor, stopped-up spirit in peace!”

Sour Heck withdraws from the room in the second round, chasing after Talia to keep the group together. He does not maintain his Inspire Courage performance, but the +1 to fear saves/attacks/damage will persist for 2 more rounds.


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

Can our characters locate the spirit by the noise it makes, and attack it with the usual 50% miss chance for total concealment?


Absolutely. There is an epicenter of the telekinetic disturbance that is clearly identifiable.


female Half-elf Cleric-4

OK, I'll try something else.

Iesha rushes to the shelves containing medical items, hoping to grab as many as possible, saving them and denying the creature weapons as well.

Dex: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Try...


Female Human Bladebound Magus 4; Initiative +5; Perception +2; hp 22/34; AC 15 (11 touch, 14 flat-footed); Fort. +5/+6; Ref. +2; Will +4

"Have at you, unquiet dead! Be still!" Eloise roars, and she charges the center of the chaos, her blade leading the way. For a moment, it seems that power crackles around the sword.

Swift action to expend one point from Eloise's arcane pool and add a +1 modifier to the sword. Attack roll: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21. Damage if successful: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10. I'm basically hoping to at least scatter the mess and force the poltergeist to regroup, if not actually harm it.


50% miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 91. Eloise hits for 1/2 damage

Just waiting on Peredur.


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

+1 to your hit and damage from the Inspire Courage, Eloise! (Not that it matters in this instance...)


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Sorry, in meetings most of the day.

Round 2:

With an apparent target in sight, Peredur looses a +1 ghost touch arrow past Eloise into the center of the telekinetic storm. Pharasma, guide my aim!

Bow attack on center of effect; incl. firing into melee penalty, Inspire Courage, arrow enchantment, and favored enemy bonus: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 2 + 1 + 1 - 4 = 23
Damage (if applicable; incl. Inspire Courage, arrow enchantment, and favored enemy bonus): 1d8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 1 + 1 = 7


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

Round 2

The echo of Talia's footsteps can be heard down the hall...

:)


Round 2 Wrap up

miss chance for Peredur 1d100 ⇒ 42

Peredur's shot ricochets off the stone walls, harmless.

Iesha grabs two of the potions. The third one is swept up by the poltergeist's telekinetic storm. The last rolls out of her reach.

Talia steps out of the front door of the prison into the daylight, and the fear that gripped her starts to recede.

Round 3
Initiative
Sour Heck @ -3 hp
Poltergeist @ -7 hp
Eloise
Iesha - 4 hp
Peredur
Talia - May act normally next round.

The spirit now hurls debris at Peredur, but he ducks below a gurney, and the rubbish rattles harmlessly to the ground.

attack roll 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


female Half-elf Cleric-4

Round 3: Iesha once more tries to grab any remaining medical items.

dex: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

Much better.


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

Round 3: Sour Heck trots after Talia, picking shards and splinters out of his skin as he goes.

The +1 to fear saves/attacks/damage from Inpire Courage lasts for one more round.


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

Talia leans down, her hands on her knees, breathing quickly and trying to avoid passing out from fear. She hears Kieli cawing from a nearby tree.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Round 3:

Emerging from under the gurney and advancing on the spirit, Peredur draws the flask of holy water he got from Iesha and pours it onto where he thinks the undead is located.

To hit vs. touch AC, incl. favored enemy and Inspire Courage: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 21
Damage, incl. favored enemy and Inspire Courage: 2d4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4, 2) + 2 + 1 = 9


There is an audible hiss, and a burst of smoke. floating bits of medical equipment and garbage clatter to the ground.

Iesha finds the following:

3 x potion of cure light wounds
2 x healer's kit
3 x bloodblock doses.
3 x antitoxin vial
3 x smelling salt
2 x soothe syrup vials


Male Human (Ustalavic) Bard (Dirge Bard) 4 (Initiative + 6, Perception +7, AC 13 (10 touch, 13 flat-footed), Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +4, HP 30/34))

Sour Heck walks stiff-legged up to Talia.

“Guess I should have used the privy after all.”

“Those heroes have probably killed it by now; want to head back to the infirmary and see if they can treat our wounds? I’m reluctant to expend this wand’s power on a few cuts.”

He plucks one last shard of glass from his eyebrow.

“No matter how they sting.”


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Peredur relaxes as the storm of debris subsides. "Likely I should have done that sooner. Still, we survived, and have found some mightily useful items." He looks out into the hall. "Where's our witch?"

ETA: Are there any old bodies in here?


No bodies, the infirmary was empty at the time of the riot.


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

"Heh," Talia exclaims. "Give me a second to catch my breath, then yes, let's return. I don't know what came over me back there. I was filled with a fear I've never before experienced."

A few deep breaths later, and Talia heads back inside with Sour Heck, Kieli riding on her shoulder once more.

1,301 to 1,350 of 2,308 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Corvus' Carrion Crown PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.