Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Corvus' Carrion Crown PBP (Inactive)

Game Master CorvusRed

United by the death of a common friend and teacher, five heroes must face the horrors of Ustalav's past.


751 to 800 of 2,308 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>

Male Human (Varisian) Rogue (burglar, cutpurse) 2

Alzano follows the others away from the ruin, mumbling under his breath. "I went to Harrowstone and all I got was my throat ripped out by exploding skeletons..."


Chickens. The whole lot of you.

The party returns to town at roughly noon, with the meeting in roughly six hours, if there is any business you would attend to, please state, otherwise we will go to the meeting.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Buk, buk, buk.

"We have th' time to do some queries on th' warden, and we can speak with th' councilor about his forebear after th' meeting. Town hall or temple?"


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

"If we're to research the old Warden, which do you think might hold more information about him? I suggest we go there."

Not our fault ya made it all scary-like! ;)


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

"It's thinking I am that th' town hall be th' more likely place."


female Half-elf Cleric-4

"Let's go there, then. The Councilman might be there as well."


"I agree, let us find out as much as we can about the Warden, his wife and the Councilman's kin. I don't like operating blind, so to speak, and it appears we are indeed working against malevolent forces. I suggest we approach the Sheriff and tell him to issue a notice that no-one is to approach Harrowstone for just now until we can find out what is going on."


You do find Councilman Hearthmount outside the Town Hall, discussing something with Sheriff Caeller. They do not note your approach, being deep in conversation.


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

"I've not met the Councilman before. Does someone wish to make introductions?


"Greetings Councilman Hearthmount, Sheriff Caeller. I'm glad that I've caught you both at the same time. Sheriff, we've just returned from Harrowstone and we encountered the undead. I suggest you warn the people away from that location for just now. Councilman, what can you tell us about your kin that was at Harrowstone?"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

"Sheriff Caellar, we can set your mind at ease regarding th' lady, here. Mistress Kendra spoke well of her. Councilor, this is Talia Senshir, another of th' late Professor's colleagues, come to pay her respects."


The two men listen intently to Aleksandr and Peredur.

Caeller: "More undead? It would seem that place is certainly the source of our troubles... And I will ensure the town knows to leave the ruin alone when we meet tonight. Peredur, your words are well noted, but it is my job to be suspsicious, do not take it personally, any of you."

Vashian Hearthmount shakes hands with Talia quickly.

"A pleasure." He nods at Aleksandr "My great-uncle was a guard there, and he was killed in the fire that destroyed the place. You saw his name on the monument, I gather? He moved here to work the prison. In fact, this town exists solely thanks to that prison, it was founded to support it. Many names on that monument are families still in town today, though we have had to find new purpose and tasks in light of the destruction of Harrowstone."


Aleksandr nods. "We fear that whoever is desecrating the monument is daubing someone's name in letters. The only two residents are your kinsman and the Warden's wife. Do you know anything of her?"


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

"I take no offense, Sheriff. Given the current happenings in your fair town, suspicion of strangers is quite understandable."

Talia curtseys towards the Councilman, saying, "The pleasure is mine, Councilman. We were wondering if there might be records of the Warden and his wife somewhere in town?


female Half-elf Cleric-4

Iesha also curtsies politely.

"We honor the bravery of those who fell. We would like to make certain, whatever has happened after all this time, that their efforts to restrain the prisoners was not in vain. To that end, any small bits of information you might have would help."


The councilman nods to Talia.

"The church of Pharasma keeps extensive records of all deaths in town, I'm sure there is note of the warden and his wife's passing therein, though I know not what else you will find there. I personally know nothing of her, or her husband , only that they both clearly perished in the fire."

To Iesha he turns then

"I understand your motivations, surely. Do you truly feel it is the influence of some spirit from the prison, mayhaps the building itself motivating the dead to rise? The murder of your friend even?" He thinks for a minute. "I do not believe that the warden or his wife lived in town, they resided upon the prison grounds. If any information of them survives, it would probably be within the prison or their home yes?"

Caeller inserts himself into the conversation:

"We will be discussing the murder of Taanyth at the meeting tonight, as well as the other odd happenings. The town knows not of the risen dead, but we have decided they must be warned. People will want solutions, and action, so please attend. You have made yourselves known hereabouts, some people may even trust you. Your input may be invaluable during the discussion."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Peredur listens to the councilor silently. Back to the church archives, again. Then a question occurs to him.

"Did they live in th' small manor house outside th' prison, or inside th' prison itself?"


Caeller chimes in again.

"They would've lived in the manor house, aye. No man would bring a wife to live among the likes they kept there. She were saint enough to agree to live on the grounds at all." he pauses. "The building to my knowledge was not damaged in the fire. I wonder what happened to her that she died?"[/b]


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

"Mayhap she were in th' prison, though that would be passing strange."


female Half-elf Cleric-4

Iesha nods. "Something happened up there. We found traces of blood-stained runes, in Varisian, etched into the foundation of the prison itself. While we couldn't determine their purpose, we did recognise one element. The name of the warden, Lyvar Hawkram, repeated over and over."


The councilman and sheriff's expressions grow confused, then grave.

"That is most unsettling. Any idea as to their nature or origin? Are they recently made?"


female Half-elf Cleric-4

"It looked like someone had tried to summon the ghost of Wardan Hawkram, though for what purpose was unclear."

KN:Religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

She pauses, then continues, cautiously "If everything there was in balance...the spirits of the warden and the guards keeping the spirits of the prisoners in check...and something disrupted that balance, perhaps...But I am no expert on the undead and I do not believe we have time to send for one. These incidents seem to grow more and more common."


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

"It would, of course, be our honor to attend the meeting, and we thank you for the information you've provided us." Talia frowns slightly, then says, "While it may be difficult to determine the point at which the writing was made at the prison, we'd be willing to look into it. It would not surprise me if they occurred around the time that the disturbances started."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Peredur adds, "Th' presence of blood in th' writing seems a sign that it weren't made too long past. Mayhap that's what th' Professor went there to see?"


Now might be a good time to review the Professor's Journal!

The Professor's Journal:

16 Gozren, 4701 – The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers, I see that now. Undeath is their fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at easy, as I thought it might. Their desire to live eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

4 Abadius, 4711 – It is as I had feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravnengro. But what could it be?

6 Calistril, 4711 – Whatever it is that the Way seeks, I am no convinced that their goal is connected to Harrostone. In retrospect I suppose it all make sense—the stories they tell about the ruins are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town on edge about them still, I'd rather not let the others know about my curiosity, there are plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I'm a demonologist or a witch or something.

10 Calistril, 4711 – It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something—no, strike that—someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire... everyone. The Temple of Pharasma must have such a list.

12 Calistril, 4711 – I see now how ill prepared I was when I last set out for Harrowstone. I am lucky to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to investigate futher) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation—hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to defend against spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the church of Pharasma used to store them in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items.

15 Calistril, 4711 – Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative that the Way does not finish. My caution has already cost my too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I don’t have time to update my will, so I'll leave this in the chest where it''ll be sure to be found... should the worst come to pass.


female Half-elf Cleric-4

Iesha speaks up, after checking to see that the only people who can here her are her friends and the concilman and the sheriff."I think we can somewhat confirm that, Talia. According to his journal -we can show it to you, sirs- he had long had suspisions that the necromantic group known as the Whispering Way had interest in one of the spirits of Harrowstone. He believed they were interested in one of the five last prisoners brought there, which is why we were interested in them. However, given the runes we found..."

She pauses, monetarily distracted. "However, the main point I wanted to make is his last entry, on the day before his death."

Again she pauses, trying to remember the phrasing.

"I believe it went something like this: Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative that the Way does not finish. My caution has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I don’t have time to update my will, so I'll leave this in the chest where it'll be sure to be found... should the worst come to pass."

She shudders. "I fear he failed to stop them."


Male Human (Varisian) Rogue (burglar, cutpurse) 2

Alzano finally speaks up from the back of the group, "What if he didn't? What if what we've seen in the town isn't a result of the Whispering Way succeeding... just a run-up to if they do?"


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

"We can do some more research in town, if necessary, but I fear we will need to make a thorough examination of the prison to see if we can discover how far along this Whispering Way were to their goals, and if they succeeded. Though I suggest attending this meeting and getting a good night's sleep before we visit the prison..."


The councilman looks hard at the sheriff.

"No reports of anyone about the ruins lately?" the sheriff shakes his head solemnly.

"And the runes you spoke of were the only signs you saw of any activity there by this 'Whispering Way'?" The councilman looks very uncertain for a long moment.

"You must come tonight to the meeting. I will see you then, I must meet with the council. Come Benjen." With that, they hurry off.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Peredur watches the two officials leave. "D'ye think we should have spoken of th' burning skeletons coming out from th' water?"


female Half-elf Cleric-4

"I don't know. I was unsure of telling them of the Whispering Way's involvement, but they need to be warned. Perhaps, depending on how the meeting goes, we can alert them afterwards."


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

"That makes sense. Are there any suggestions on what we should do prior to the meeting?"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

"Th' plan to look into th' history of th' Warden and his wife still seems a good one."


Male Human (Varisian) Rogue (burglar, cutpurse) 2

"Do we have time? Takes the better part of a day to find something useful in those dusty tomes."


female Half-elf Cleric-4

"You have a point, Alzano. Perhaps we should simply head back to the Lorrimor home and review what we do have. Talia can review Professor Lorrimor's papers and we can fill her in on what we've discovered."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Peredur nods in agreement. "'Tis a fine idea, it is."


Kendra is visibly relieved when the party arrives back at the house, she calls for a hot meal immediately, and then presses for details.

"You have returned, thank the gods..." She looks each member over for signs of battle or wounds. "What happened up there?"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Peredur has blisters on his face and hands, but no other visible wounds. "Passing odd, th' place is. There be a pond up to th' prison ruin, black water, an' after Iesha touched it there came three burning skeletons out of it to fight us. Strange writing along th' foundation there be as well, th' warden's name, over and over."


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

"To my way of thinking, the place is definitely haunted, Very strange feelings about it. We were able to defeat the undead that attacked us, but I fear we may have to return to discover what has truly happened, and if there's a way to stop the recent unpleasantness. We did not venture inside the prison itself on this trip.

"We'll be attending the meeting in town this evening, and thought to catch up here before then. Thank you for offering food; it is most welcome." Talia smiles and bows to Kendra in thanks.


female Half-elf Cleric-4

Iesha will take the time to eat and clean up, dressing in her best and making sure her birthmark shows.


The sky begins to darken, and the sounds of locals walking past draw the heroes and Kendra to the town hall. People mill about outside, others move in and take seats. One of Caeller's deputies stands by the door.

Six rows of benches fill the main room, with chairs lining the wall. A stage with a lectern takes up the wfar end of the building. Maybe a half-dozen lamps have been lit along the walls to stave off the encroaching night.

Kendra walks to the front of the room, and sits at the end of the right front bench. There is room there for a three more of the party to join her. The council is huddled on the stage talking quietly, Caeller leans against the wall to the right of the stage, watching the crowd gather.

Hearthmount speaks, his voice carries over the crowd easily.

"Please be seated, we will begin in a few minutes."

Where will the party sit, stand or loiter?


Male Human (Varisian) Rogue (burglar, cutpurse) 2

Alzano grabs a chair by the wall near the bench where Kendra sits. He leans back with arms folded as he waits for the meeting to start.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

Feeling a bit out of place, Peredur likewise moves up to sit next to Kendra. He whispers to her, "What do you think about this?"


female Half-elf Cleric-4

Iesha sits with Kendra and observes the room and tries to read the mood of it's occupants.

Sense_Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 16


Male Half-Elf Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger archetype)| Init +5|Perc +14/+16 for undead| HP 36/36| Saves F +6/R +7/W +3; +4 vs. ench.

I think you get to add your WIS bonus to the roll, Iesha.


Female Changeling Witch 4; Init: +2; Perc: +0 (+9 - Kieli); Fort: +2; Ref: +3; Will: +4 (+2 vs Fear)

Talia walks slowly down the side isle, observing the people of the town and the room's occupants, before greeting Kendra with a smile and sitting beside her, listening quietly to the whispered conversations around her.


female Half-elf Cleric-4

Iesha's roll plus her Wis bonus: 16+3=19


Aleksandr stands next to Alzano.

"I think that despite attempts to stiffle the news about the walking dead, word has clearly gotten around."

The crowd is agitated, and it is clear to see. Some of the people seem guarded, trepidatious; others seem on the edge of panic. Many people wear Pharasman holy symbols around their necks.

The seats around the party are the last to fill up, only when Zokar and his son sit in the row behind do other locals fill in the bench. The friendly barkeep smiles and pats Kendra on the shoulder.

Vashian Hearthmount takes the podium and clears his throat loudy, bringing the townsfolk to a reluctant silence.

"We have gathered you here to address the rumors that have been spreading throughout the town these last few days." His gaze sweeps the crowd. He is clearly in his element here. "There is an evil gnawing at the heart of this town, we are beset by malevolance and in growing danger. Our sleep has been troubled. Monsters beset us. The dead... do not rest easy. We cannot rely on the palatinate of Tamrivena to help. We are, as we have ever been, on our own. But this does not mean we are doomed. We are resiliant, we will persevere; your council is even now searching for solutions."

He pauses here for emphasis. People grumble and converse loudly after a moment as Hearthmount lets it settle in. He has done little to ease the fears of the town; in fact he may have made it worse...

Iesha:
You catch a look from Councilwoman Mirta Straelock, the friendly one you were introduced to the other day. She gestures at you and points to the podium with a nod


female Half-elf Cleric-4

Iesha nods to the Councilwoman and rises, taking a deep breath as she walks to the podium.

"Most of you may wonder why I, who am just a visitor, should rise to speak about this situation. True, I and my friends here came originally simply for the funeral of our mentor and friend. We learned, through notes he left us, that he believed there was a threat to this town."

She pauses, then continues."We, to honor him, chose to stay and see if his fears were justified. It would appear so. With the death of one of us, we are now commited to ending this threat and protecting this town that the professor so loved."

She looks up at the gathered crowd. "As a Priestess of Shelyn, I can only say, do not let this ruin your lives. Go about your normal business, though practical precautions would not be out of place. Your local priests, dedicated to Pharasma, are well able to deal with those blasphemies to her way. Let them guard the town while we head up to the old prison, where we believe we will find the source of these...incidents. We will find the cause, root it out and put an end to it. Not only due to the death of our friend, or because Professor Lorrimor would want us to, but because it is the only right thing to do!"


Iesha's Diplomacy 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Talia:

Talia grows warm, unnaturally and unseasonably warm. After a few moments, she is sweating noticeably

The crowd grumbles as Iesha takes the stage, and sit in sullen silence as she addresses them. When she finishes, the murmuring and grumbling start up again. Uneasy expressions still there.

Someone stands in the back:

"And we're to put our trust in strangers? Not bloody likely!"

Murmurs turn to shouts of agreement. Others stand and shout, raising fists in anger fueled by fear/

Kendra glances around, a worried look on her face, and the council-members exchange apprehensive looks. Hearthmount brushes Iesha aside none-too-too gently and retakes the stand.

"My friends, we have the utmost faith in these friends of Lorrimor, they have proven themselves to be most capa--"

It is here that the fear and anger turn to terror.

The wind raises to a cacophonous wail, and the lights around the room flicker wildly. The door slams open, and Caeller curses, and moves to close it again.

Talia bolts upright, of no volition of her own it would seem. Sweating profusely, she mumbles something under her breath.

perception DC 15 and Talia:

”Burn as we burned” she whispers

The flickering dance of the lights reaches a fever pitch and the flames errupt from the lanterns, dousing the walls and floor and unlucky citizens in flame.

Screams errupt from the crowd: the agony unlucky enough to be caught in the flames cutting through the panic, and people lurch away from the burning walls and burning people.

The councilmembers look truly panicked now.

"Do something!" one of them blurts, uselessly.

Initiative:

Alzano 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Aleksandr 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Talia 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Iesha 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Peredur 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Kendra1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

ORDER:
Peredur
Kendra
Alzano
Iesha
Aleksandr
Talia

Your map is here, if you have any difficulty opening or understanding, please let me know. Initiative order is posted on the page as well. Please denote movement by grid coordinates, and I will update it at the end of each round.


notes:
Fighting the fire by hand will involve a CMB check.


Dragging townspeople from a burning square is a standard action.


Moving through the crowd is permitted at half speed.

751 to 800 of 2,308 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Corvus' Carrion Crown PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.