Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Cobalt's Unshackled City

Game Master Craig Mercer

Our heroes are based in Cauldron, the northernmost city in Varisia. There they try to survive missions for the city, intriques, and maybe even save the world... or maybe not.


351 to 400 of 1,361 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

"Mannerhouse? Hmm..."

Terra asks to be part of 1st or last watch as she is a magic user.


I am good with any watch, but one of the responsible group memebers should make the list :)


Male Human Flowing Monk of the Sacred Mountain 2

Alanaes will take the middle watch.

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Soth-Loren: I'll take first watch
Darian: followed by (as we will both need to refresh spells in the morning).
Alanaes: wished for middle
Rogar: didn't care
Terra: and Terra can take last, and also try to study spellbook at that point.

Sound good?


I'll stand with Terra then.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

After some discussion, Darian nods. "That sounds fine, Soth. Let's get a fire started."

Taking some time to set up camp and care for his animals, Darian went about making camp with the efficiency and bored attitude of a career soldier. He took the time to set up a couple of tarps to shield against the wind to make things more comfortable in the camp, and dug a latrine trench a ways down hill.

"Hey Rogar, you mind taking a look around and noting approaches we should be aware of while we're on watch? Anyone know how to make tripwire alarm snares? I had a friend who used to do that. Saved our skins a few times."

Rogar should be able to use Survival to make and camouflage basic snares to make a racket if something crosses our perimeter.

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Not I, though it certainly couldn't hurt.


So, unless I hear otherwise, the watch will be:
1st Soth-Loren and a Varisian, Andrezi
2nd Darian and a Varisian, Eugeni
3rd Alanaes and a Varisian, Henric
4th Rogar and a Varisian, Iozif
5th Terra, Geoff, and a Varisian, Marduzi

GM Rolls:
1d100 ⇒ 75
1d100 ⇒ 95

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Sounds good to me. I can also switch with Rogar, (who I had ment to be 2nd not 4th) if he wants.


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

Assuming no surprises in the night...

Terra studies her spell book during her watch, muttering at times about the cold wintry breeze coming from one of the areas of the forest.


Geoff makes a nuisance of himself by constantly pestering Terra with..."Hey, what's that you're studying?" and "What does that symbol mean?".... as he keeps trying to read over her shoulder... :)


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"I had a friend once who used to ask wizards what the things in their books meant. I don't actually know what symbol he saw, but I know what it did. Ever since then, I figure I'm better of not knowing."


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |
Geoff Barriston wrote:
Geoff makes a nuisance of himself by constantly pestering Terra with..."Hey, what's that you're studying?" and "What does that symbol mean?".... as he keeps trying to read over her shoulder... :)

"...Well, I'm studying- Oh, Well thats a standard conjuration symbol meaning-" Terra tries to answer the questions, but she doesn't really have a chance to. Dammit, give me a chance to answer!

I guess it will take Terra at least twice as long to prepare spells this time! 6_9


The night passes uneventfully, and after a quick breakfast the caravan continues on its way.
The road it follows under the trees is well traveled, and winds between hills, never getting too far from the river. The shade of the forest seems a bit gloomy at first, but as the day gets brighter, it provides welcome shade from the sun.
Zandu rides his hourse scouting in front of the caravan, never too far away, looking for any sign of ambushes and goblins.

GM rolls:
1d100 ⇒ 76
1d100 ⇒ 28

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

I wonder if it may be a better idea that we take the initiative here, and seeketh out these creatures in whatever lair they might have.


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

"But with the flow of time in the forest, going in haphazardly could cause us to age or worse." Terra says in a matter of fact tone.


"Wouldn't it be better to find fresh traces of them?" Zenovia asks. She has been walking close to Terra and Soth-Loren this day, singing snatches of songs and occasionally asking a question about the lands that Soth-Loren had traveled through, or the school that Terra had attended.

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Speaking with Zenovia seems to come easily, and he takes a pleasure in it he rarely finds in life these days. Mendev, is cold, and cruel. The denizens of Hell have tried to break into our world for years, held back my mystic wards of faith forming a wall surrounding the Worldwound. A giant sundering in the very realm of men opening to the pit. Evil seepeth out in all sorts of dastardly ways, corrupting the very lands and eager to work it's will on the minds and souls of all men.

I have also ventured through lands of mist and mystery, the dark lands of Ustalav. Things that are mere legend in many lands are truer in that dark place, said to be the resting place of the very Whispering Tyrrant, and that the decendants of it's wickedness still hold much influence.

I have travelled, only for a breif time through the lands of Falcons and Freedom's Call. Andoran, though only a youth amongst great nations, it holds a lingering flame of hope, and an acceptance I am not familiar with. For good and for ill, and I wonder if that same fire in their hearts and speech will burn them one day.

I have travelled through the northlands, lands of cold and ice. Where men are hardy and sing drunken songs of a history of wyrms. Victory in combat seemed the greatest of their acheivements, from commoner to chieften, though I was warned that to go any further would lead to another wicked land of trolls and witches, and I was not eager for another crusade. . . his expression goes to a frown with that memory.

If Terra doesn't mind, I have a little backstory for us:
I met Mistress Terra, not so long ago, as we where part of a campaign to locate a priest of Sarenrae and his young daughter. A princess of Qadira, the wife and mother, had asked our help. It became obvious something was amiss, and it was only through Terra's quick mind and studious nature, we would never had discovered the princess was some sort of elemental look-alike, attempting to kill the father and daughter of the woman it had already murdered through us.

If you don't like it, feel free to ignor it

From there, I met the others and travelled to a land known as Riddleport, not known for its honest labor. It wasn't long before we met thee, on our way to a land called Cauldron. Would you know of this place?


"Yes, Riddleport is well known as a den of thieves, and only a Sczarni would willingly go there," Zenovia replies. "Cauldron is a different city, although we have not been by there for several years."

"It is atop a extinct volcano, ringed by a tall wall, and the city itself slopes down into the crater. There is a lake at the center, and its depth is unknown. Four major streets run through the city, each a level down from the one above. They are Obsidian, Magam, Lava, and Ash nearest to the lake."

"The rich and wealthy live near the crater's rim, while the poor live at the water's edge, and have to put up with occasional flooding. In the rainy season, the waters fill the lake, and the temples there use magic to control the flooding. I recall there is a merry festival that occurs as the rains start."


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

Terra listens quietly to Soth and Zenovia.

Terra blushes when Soth mentions the Qadira princess. "N-no, I, I just thought that I heard an auran accent slip trough a few times when she spoke. I thought it was weird... Y-you were the one who called her out on it..."

Terra rolls her eyes when Zenovia explains about Cauldron. And what if that Valcano is not so extinct as they thought? Who in their right mind builds a city in a volcano... Despite Terra's disdain, she is obviously interested about the city and the way it was made.

When Zenovia asks Terra of her school, Terra responds, "Well, I grew up in Korvosa, and attended the Acadamae. You know, the famous one. I majored in Conjuration. To pass, we had to summon-" Terra looks to Soth again for a moment. "S-summon...things..." Terra finishes weakly.


"Things? What sort of things?" asks Zenovia, her eyes alight with curiosity.

Before Terra has time to answer, Zandu rides back in haste from his position of scout, his mount wild-eyed.
"There is something in the woods ahead, and it makes my horse skittish," he quickly says to the group, and then shouts out in Varisian.

Varisian:
"Halt the caravan! Danger ahead!"

"It does not feel like an ambush, and the lay of the land is open. Still, there are more dangers in the world other than goblins."

In short order the caravan grinds to a halt, and the men all ready their weapons as the women herd the children to the safety behind the men.
Zenovia remains near the front, shaking off her mother's attempt to drag her back with the children.

Varisian:
"I'm not a child anymore, mother. I can help."

The road ahead looks quiet, the trees are a fair distance from the road and the Sun lights the path. Then in the distance (maybe 100 feet), a large shadow moves along the treeline, and a odd animalistic sound breaks the silence...
Nature Knowledge DC 15 to identify the sound.

Knowledge Nature:
Owlbear.

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Summon things? not sure if she meant to hide something or wasn't sure how to explain something else. Her meekness, her studder had always been very cute. I just wish she had more confidence in herself, and her achievments. For herself and her own happiness. I've always been curious, what a life at academy would be like. You are very lucky. with a soft smile.To be born with such a powerful mind and will, and blessed to be able to explore and flex it through a prestigious school. I envy you, much

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Druid2

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Rogar quickly makes his way to the front of the group, after hearing the sound it takes him a moment to discern it's origin...Owlbear's!... "There be no doubt that is the call of an Owlbear, ge the children to safety these things can be deadly know for killing all in it's path and I be thinking we will experience more then one." Rogar draws his club and redies an action to cast Shillegah at first sight of the beasties. "They cany be reasoned with, so expect a fight."


Male Human Flowing Monk of the Sacred Mountain 2

Alanaes does a few quick stretches to limber up before the coming battle. "Owlbears, huh? Any suggestions on how to fight these things? I've never encountered one before."

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

You say an Owl-bear, brother? How do we fight an Owl-bear?, as I take a position besides Lady Terra and Mistress "Zen".

What talents do you have in battle, Lady? Stand by me, with a look back at her mother as if to say I shall protect her, I swear it., and let us keep calm. Be ready to find your target, and watch what other's do. How they react.

@ Rogar You are the expert, so I shall follow thy lead.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Druid2

"I be doubting there will be more then two of them beasts, tend to travel in pairs. Nevertheless even one is a worthy adversary, they have the keenest of eyes so a stealthy route is not in our favor, never actually had to fight one of the things afore but I know they can be deadly in melee combat, just don't let one grab ye or you'll never be getting free."

Survival (TO look for tracks potential dens of owlbear etc):1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

I do realize I just said all this without making a nature check but I take it my 21 was enough to tell this much about them.


Geoff rides up from behind Soth-Loren and claps him on the shoulder.
"How, my friend?" Geoff says with a wide grin.
"Why the normal way I presume. Stick the pointy end in! Finally, something to do!"


Rogar, the 21 nature check was enough to tell that much about them.

Map

Map Key:

Each square is 5'.
Blue rectangles are wagons, brown ovals are horses.
OB is an owlbear.
Zen is Zenovia.
Zan is Zandu.
T is Terra.
SL is Soth-Loren.
R is Rogar.
Al is Alanaes.
G is Geoff on his horse (the dog is assumed to be next to you, by the horse currently).
D is Darrian.

Init:

Terra 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Geoff 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Soth-Loren 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Alanaes 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Darrian 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Rogar 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Zandu 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Zenovia 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Owlbear 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Init order is:
Geoff
Alanaes
Owlbear
Rogar
Terra
Zandu
Darrian
Zenovia
Soth-Loren

Round 1!

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

I can't see the map. It says we need permisions. :)


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

hp 19 | Temp 0 | NL 0 | Total hp 19
AC 13 | touch 13 | flat-footed 10 | CMD 14
Fort +1 | Ref +3 | Will +3 | Immune magical sleep
____________________________________________________________________

Round '0' Init 10

...Oh, umm, well, we uh, summoned..."

Quote:

Before Terra has time to answer, Zandu rides back in haste from his position of scout, his mount wild-eyed.

"There is something in the woods ahead, and it makes my horse skittish," he quickly says to the group, and then shouts out in Varisian...

"Oh, darn! Something in the woods! Sounds bad! Guess that story is going to have to wait..." Despite the situation, Terra seems relived. ...I gotta learn to keep my big stupid mouth shut! -_-'

Terra raises a little eyebrow. "Owlbears? For real? The Owlbear has got to be the most ridiculous creature ever. I mean, seriously? The images in text books always looked so funny. I wonder what they look like in real life!"

Same problem with map. Waiting to post action for round one till I can see it!


Sorry, Sorry!
I had to fix something on the map, and failed to reset the view permissions.
Fixed for now!


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

hp 19 | Temp 0 | NL 0 | Total hp 19
AC 13 | touch 13 | flat-footed 10 | CMD 14
Fort +1 | Ref +3 | Will +3 | Immune magical sleep
____________________________________________________________________

Round 1 Init 10
Terra shifts toward Darian, draws a wand and touches him with it.

Darian becomes enlarges for one minute.


Round 1, Init. 22

Geoff vaults from his horse and draws his sword in one smooth motion. He then steps forward in a defensive stance.

actions:
move to dismount, free to draw sword in first round of combat, standard to assume total defense.
Status- AC-22, hp22/22


Male Human Flowing Monk of the Sacred Mountain 2

Round 1:
Init: 20
HP 21/21, AC 17

Alanaes double moves down the path, hoping to draw the owlbear out of the trees. "Watch my back, everyone, as I attempt to draw the beast out."

Can't see the map from work unfortunately, but if I recall it correctly, I have some space to move up without getting into its range.


MAP

The owl bear lumbers forward, moving faster than its bulk and strange appearence would indicate. It again gives a wierd howl (almost a cross between a screech and a roar), which is answered by another, farther off down the road (and out of sight).

The owlbear moves forward 30'.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Druid2

Rogar double moves forward 40ft a short distance behind Alanaes.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"Whoah, what the-" Darian says twitching as he begins to grow. "Oh. Hey now. Heh heh heh." Drawing his now-massive sword he spun it in his hand for a moment and then began to move forward.

I'll post my round 1 action once it's a little closer to my turn.

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

That's what I am waiting on too. Way to much can change.


uh...you guys are next (except for the two NPCs, everyone else has gone)..

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Was jsut explaining I'm still here, just waiting.

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Round 1, Init = Dead Last
HP: 18, Ac: 14, Touch: 11, Flat Footed: 13

On my turn, I shall move to stay near Miss Zenovia, and cast BLESS, for a +1 Attack and Save vs fear. For a moment, he begins to remember calling down the divine powers to help and protect those he cares for, and it feels good.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

I was waiting on the NPCs. Regardless, I'll post this afternoon.


Sorry, work has been rough the last few days, and my posting has suffered. It should be better now. And for convience, the NPCs will hold until the bottom of the round next time, and then go.

Zandu pulls out his bow, nocks an arrow, and lets fly at the beast.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Miss!

Zenovia begins to sing a lively song in Varisian, which lifts the spirits of those who hear her voice.

Varisian:
The song is about a brave hero who stood his ground and saved his caravan home.

Inspire Courage for +1 Attack and Damage, added to Soth-Loren's Bless +1 to Attack and Save vs Fear.

Waiting on Darian to finish, and then next round.

New Init order is:
Geoff
Alanaes
Owlbear
Rogar
Terra
Darrian
Soth-Loren
Zandu
Zenovia

MAP


Round 2, Init. 22

Geoff moves up to Rogar (F9) and assumes a defensive posture.
"Big bugger, isn't he?" Geoff whispers with a smile to Rogar as he draws even with him.

status:

AC-18
hp 22/22

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Actually Bless is a moral bonus that doesn't stack with Bards (God I hate that!!!!), which was why I was waiting. I wouldn't have just wasted a spell.


Bless is a morale bonus +1 to hit and fear.
Bard Inspire Courage is a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm
and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.
So the Fear effects do not stack (both morale bonuses), but the to hits do stack (one morale and one competence).
For further refenence, Prayer gives a gain a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks, while each of your foes takes a –1 penalty on such rolls. So it also stacks with Bless and Bard Song.


Male Human Flowing Monk of the Sacred Mountain 2

Round 2:
Init: 20
HP 21/21, AC 21 (17 normally)

Alanaes stops where he is and enters a fighting stance. He calls out to Geoff, who has moved up as well. "Geoff, allow the owlbear to come to us. We will fight him on our terms." Alanaes smiles at his companion, and steels himself for the vicious onslaught sure to come from the owlbear.

I must be as the mountain, solid and unyielding. I must be ready to endure.
I must be as the river, flowing and free. I must be quick and ready to redirect the oncoming attacks.
The river flows around the mountain.

Alanaes enters total defense (+4 dodge to AC).


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

Darian jogs out directly in front of the beast, drawing his shield and shouldering his massive sword. He raises his arms over his head to get it's attention.

"Hey ugly!" he says, kicking a rock towards the thing, trying to make himself a viable target.

"Guys, try to get him to come to me, then close in."

Move to R8 and go full defensive. Current AC 24


I hope I've put people where they wanted to be on the map.

As Darian moves up and yells at the owlbear, it pauses, as if deciding which target to attack, then continues on its course to Alanaes.
It reaches out to swipe at him with a claw as it lumbers close, but finds that the tasty morsel just out of its reach.
In the near distance, sounds of a second owlbear continue to get closer.

The owlbear again bellows in fustration that it has not reached its prey!

MAP

Rogar is up next.

Init:
Init order is:
Geoff
Alanaes
Owlbear
Rogar <---
Terra
Darrian
Soth-Loren
Zandu
Zenovia

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3
DM Cobalt wrote:
and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.

My mistake.

351 to 400 of 1,361 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Cobalt's Unshackled City All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.