Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Cobalt's Unshackled City

Game Master Craig Mercer

Our heroes are based in Cauldron, the northernmost city in Varisia. There they try to survive missions for the city, intriques, and maybe even save the world... or maybe not.


201 to 250 of 1,361 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

"I don't know much about goblins, nor do I speak their language." I bet the gibberish goblins speak qualifies as much for a language as a dogs bark would... Terra muses to herself as she continues to eat her meal.

Rogar Ungart wrote:
Upon entry he scans the room for his friends and silently seats himself and finally says "Good to see that no ones missing any limbs. So what did I miss?"

"Nothing important." Terra replies between bites of her food.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"We got in another fight trying to help people who didn't want it. Or deserve it. So pretty much the usual. How 'bout you?"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Druid2

"While you were "causing havoc" I was at the Library collecting some information of our coming destination, I also heard a rather startling rumor." Rogar then pauses to add some dramatic effect. "Rumor has it an organized group of goblins has been ambushing those who pass up the road to the Cauldron, witch may prove to be a slight problem for our trek."


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

"...Maybe fate wants us to match up against these goblins."


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"Does seem to be a recurring theme today. We were just talking about those goblins. I want to go see if there's a bounty or a reward or anything. Looks like we're going to do it regardless, but we might as well check into what's already being done about it, and what people are offering for people to fix the problem."


"Hah! If you could call that a fight! Those stupid guards only got in the way and let the thief escape."
Geoff exclaims as he rubs the knot on his head from the guards cudgel.
"I like the idea of hunting the goblins. At least they can't be mistaken for innocent bystanders and I definitely could use the money." Geoff adds with a smile.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Druid2

"Goblins tend to use more devious tactics in their raiding and that is not even common among there kind, the raids are nothing new but now it appears as if under...new management."

Knowledge nature:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

I would assume this is the appropriate skill for knowledge of goblin tactics or ways.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"Let's split up and ask around about what's being done about them right now. I'm thinking, guard post, mayor's office, or whatever functions as a mayors office in a place like this, and maybe the market? Talk to a town crier or something and see what they say?"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Druid2

"Like the guards in this slum of a town will be of any help. We should consider a council with the mayor or...whoever functions as mayor of this place" Rogar pauses for a second considering his words. "Now that I think about it perhaps we should avoid the "mayor". We can probably learn what we need on the streets"


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"Good point Rogar. My ideas usually end up with someone getting knocked around. I swear it's not my fault. Think we should go to the market then?"


Rogar:
Your knowledge of Goblins indicates that while they are capable of raiding, presistant and organized raiding is the sign that something more powerful than them is behind their actions.

I feel compelled to point out that your information was that the goblins were raiding between the Lucky Monkey and Cauldron, not the Lucky Monkey and here (Riddleport). I would also point out that the reward was said to be offered by one of the Generals, which indicates that Cauldron is offering the reward, and not Riddleport.


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

My know-it-all wizard is going to steal you words DM Cobalt...

"Er... Darian... I believe that goblins were raiding between the Lucky Monkey and Cauldron, not the Lucky Monkey and Riddleport. and umm, the reward was said to be offered by one of the Generals, which indicates to me that Cauldron is offering the reward, and not Riddleport..." Weren't you listening?


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"Oh. Gotcha. Like I have any idea where we are and where other stuff is. I've never been in this part of the world. Glad you're here. I'd be lost inside a day. Guess that means we can leave then?"

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3
Geoff Barriston wrote:

"Hah! If you could call that a fight! Those stupid guards only got in the way and let the thief escape."

Geoff exclaims as he rubs the knot on his head from the guards cudgel.

Perhaps these guards had been corrupted, and where in on it? This city is filled with scumb and villanry, it seems. I mean what sort of a respectible crew goes to an establishment whose very staff dresses as vile demons and devils of the pit, and obviously take after thier inspirational models to seduce away thine money and mind?", while giving a "um um, you should be ashamed" look around the table. :p

I did mention it was on the way to our destination, I thought?

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3
Rogar Ungart wrote:
If asked if he needs anything he will politely decline he has a hate for inn food.

Might I extend my offer to buy our first meal to thee as well, friend. I didn't know where you had gone, or I would have awaited thee."


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2
Soth-Loren the Raven Knight wrote:


I did mention it was on the way to our destination, I thought?

yeah, you did. I was just confused. Darian's a little thick, and he was hit in the head earlier...


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

What time of day was it again?

"Did you guys want to rest here then, or leave at once?"

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Well, it has only been about 30 mins since we got off the boat, or so. I say we rest, and just start as a fresh day. But, I don't care that much.


Soth-Loren is correct. It has only been a short time. We can skip the day, and have you setting out and traveling if that's what you want.

Also, I'm finding it hard to work on a map of the area, but I'm still working on it. I swear I will get something done soon, so that you can have some idea of what is around. And plot any adventures you want to try beyond what I have planed.


So, I take it from the lack of comments that you people favor jumping ahead in time?
If so, do you want to stop at the Lucky Monkey to get more information and maybe try to hook up with a caravan, or just move on and see what happens?


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

More info is always good. Getting on a caravan could be a nice bonus if possible, lets do that!

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Sorry, my internet is really bad this whole week, if not longer. I'm really trying to keep in the game, but I have to go out into the field for a 24 hour shift now just to even get online every few days, until the base gets fixed. I don't care if we skip ahead or not. I would perfere to stop by the tavern (on the way) for more info, but we could probably do that with a caravan as Miss Terra likes. I'd also like to "see what happes" as well. :)


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

What they said.


Yes, definitely want to stop at the Lucky Monkey


The night at the inn passes quietly (or drunkenly if you party in the common room until late), and the next morning dawns.
The road out of Riddleport looks to be lightly used, and after cutting through the steep hills that surround the city, heads eastward. A brackish swamp lies close at hand on the right (towards the sea), and a dark and tangled scrub lies on the left.
It is notable that no farms or homesteads are seen (usually cities have a belt of farms around them), but this may only be that the farms are to the other side of Riddleport, or that it depends on the port to feed itself.
Toward the end of the day, your road ends in a junction with a north-south road that shows signs of being much more traveled. In fact, a good campsite is found a short distance along it, with signs that it has been used within a few days.

The next two days you travel north in rolling hills, small copses of woods and over small brooks. The mountains to the east are visible and impressive (known as the Stony Mountains), and a great river meanders not too distant to your left. (The river is more than likely the same one that flows into Riddleport, the Velashu.) The mountains to the north (the Red Mountains), where you are headed, remain as a set of peaks in the distance. The copses of trees grow into larger patches of forest, although never dominating the grassy lands around them. Across the river to the west, the land seems to flatten out, and the trees are far and few on that grassland. Good campsites continue to be found, although no one seems to be camping at them while you travel (but they still show signs of recent usage).

Afternoon on the third day, you arrive at a large, rambling, two-story wooden inn sheltered by a copse of trees, with the sign Lucky Monkey swaying in the light breeze. In the grassy yard in front of it, three groups of wagons are circled in camps. Two of the camps are obviously merchants from the looks of the wagons, but the third is a caravan of brightly decorated covered wagons. The two merchant camps have a single guard on watch each, eyeing you as you come into sigh. The third camp has a handful of children running about it, and some women doing mundane tasks. The children halt their play to stare at you as you arrive.

Local or History Knowledge DC10:
The brightly colored caravan is a Varisian caravan, which is usually an extended family and friends of Varisian travelers. They are known to wander across the lands, living and trading out of their caravan home, like gypsies.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

Darian waves to the children from atop his grey horse Smoke. He liked kids.

"I think there's a circus here." he said over his shoulder with a grin. "Look at those wagons."

[ooc]not even going to bother with the knowledge check. I like Darian better not knowing anything.[/b]


Male Human Flowing Monk of the Sacred Mountain 2

Untrained Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
I assume Alanaes would have known about the Varisians anyway, since he trained under a Varisian man.

"Those colored wagons belong to a traveling band of Varisians, actually. They are a fascinating people, though I suppose they are somewhat tarnished by a reputation for thievery and trickery. My mentor was a Varisian..." Alanaes continues to follow Darian toward the Lucky Monkey.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"Oh." Darian says, slightly disappointed that the colored wagons are not a circus.


Yes, i forgot that Alanaes. You should have a basic knowledge of varisians, just as any who lived around Varisians should. But since most of the group seems to come from places other than around here...


Geoff is Varisian and speaks the language.


I admit I missed that also Geoff. But mainly because Adori Duelists tend to be from Brevoy, which is the other side of the Inner Sea from Varisia.

Taldor

Actually, Brevoy is just East of this area (though a long distance) it is made up mostly of people of mixed Varisian and Taldan descent.


"Wanderers, hah! Thieves and cutthroats more like. Don't trust them at all!" Geoff says in a disgusted tone.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Druid2

Rogar takes in his surroundings but knows little of Varisian nature he whispers to his group while he advances towards the inn. "Why are they...starring at us."


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"Have you taken a look at us, Rogar? We kinda stick out. Comes from being armed to the teeth."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Druid2

"You make a point friend I have always stuck out in the crowd. Perhaps it's my beard..." Rogar mumbles several other thoughts aloud as he slowly trudges forward.

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

"So, these colorful folks are travelers? Mayhap I should inquire of them of goblins in their travels?" I'll step away from the others and approach the "Varisians" with unarmed and with a gentle smile. Arms raised to show I mean no harm, I'll see if they let me approach.

"Lord and Lady's of the Roads, I am Sir Soth-Loren Brightblade, Priest and Anchorite of the faithful of Ragathiel, Bastion against the invaiders from the demon realms, former battle chaplin of Mendevian high crusade, and Knight-servant or the celestial righteousnesses. Might I ask thy council, wisdom, and knowledge? It is said that Goblin-monsters are attacking en force in these parts, or around them. Know yee of this?" without really indicating anyone in particular, so as to not offend any leaders.

Skill check:

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 +7 if vs female[/dice]

I do not have Know: Local or History, and can not use untrained. I don't really see much of a reason I would have much knowledge of Varisian Gypsy folk, so probably shouldn't be able to Roll Untrained.


The children gather at a respectful distance around the group, eye them the way children do at anything new and interseting, whispering amoung themselves.

At Soth-Loren's greeting, one of the younger women smiles warmly and says, "Greeting and well met, Sir Priest."
A middle-aged woman cuts her speech off. "Zenovia, he wants information, not to flirt." She gives you a polite nod and continues. "Your pardon, Sir. Our leader and men-folk are in the inn currently discussing the matter of goblins with the others here. I am sure that they would apperciate your councils."

The girl makes a comment in Varisian...

Varisian:
"Mother, it doesn't hurt to be polite..."

To which the woman replies...
Varisian:
"Making eyes at a handsome outlander is more than being polite!"

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

"I thank thee for thy direction, milady, and" with a look toward the younger girl, a soft smile, though I do not understand their dialogue, "and thy smile and warmth. It is a wonder still to see even a bit of goodness in the worlds, and even the smallest things might brighten the day as a candle against the dark. Zenovia. . . I shalt keep thy name in mind for my prayers, petitioning good luck and safe travel for thee and thine peoples.", but not seeming to understand the flirting nature, but rather sort of oblisious and genuinely courtious <or that he's probably being set up or played with :) >.

"Is there any customs or form of address or entrance we might adhere to before entering, so as not to disturb or insult a host, dear lady?"


There is a small bit of laughter from the women.
"It is only an inn," she relies, "So your politeness will suffice. And the two merchants and their men are there also inside also." She gestures at the two other groups of wagons.

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

With a bow, I'll thank them again and return to my friends, incase they didn't hear.

"The colorful ones instruct me that their menfolk are with, already holding a council about the goblin issues. We aught to join them, and learn of thier plans. Oh, and dust anyone know what "yourt vick orttah, doannu" and "Voartin van-inchev noxtrae scirgade, ztimmas koatile!" means?", after sounding it out very slowly, and probably incorrectly. "I am not familar with this language, so just smiled in return."


Geoff smiles at Zenovia and whispers to his companions, " Well...maybe they aren't ALL thieves and cutthroats."


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |
Soth-Loren the Raven Knight wrote:
"The colorful ones instruct me that their menfolk are with, already holding a council about the goblin issues. We aught to join them, and learn of thier plans."

Terra nods. "Lead the way..." When asked about speaking their language, Terra shakes her head.


Moving on... (unless someone wants to keep speaking to the Varisian women outside)

Stepping into the front double doors, you find yourselves in a large room, about 40' deep by 80' wide (although irregularly shaped), with a 20' x 20' stage for preformaces at the righthand end. The bar itself is across from you, winding along the back wall. Nine large tables dot the room, and it looks like three curtained alcoves lead to another three private tables.
Besides the bartender and a pair of barmaids, the room is occupied by three groups.
One of the groups is three men, appearently discussing something around one of the tables on the far left side of the room.
The other two groups are almost mingled together around the central tables. One looks like about 20 or so men from both merchant caravans (drivers and guards), and the other is about 8 men dressed in brighter clothing. They seem to be sharing a song about the romantic perils of a wandering maid when you walk in.

"Greetings travelers," the barkeep shouts out. "Welcome to the Lucky Monkey. Sit, and rest your loads for a while."

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

"Greetings to thee, good sir. We are travelling to the city of Cauldron, and became aware of a goblin infestation. The women-folk without advised us seek more knowledge here. It is also late in the day, and we should seek shelter. I would purchase a room for the night, and see a menu for suppper. Are there any temples in the area, friend?"


"More travelers to Cauldron, eh?" the barkeep comments. "All these good folk are also wishing to travel to Cauldron, or parts further. Indeed, the caravan masters are discussing that even now. As you have no doubt heard, goblins have been raiding caravans more often, and with some semblence of direction. A wonder that is, and it has many good folk worried as to what it portends. I've heard that one of the Cauldron Generals, General Golbez, has made the offer of 5 gold per goblin ear, although which ear I didn't hear. And a reward of 1000 gold for the head of the one that directs these goblins."

"As for rooms, we've got several rooms for 2 gold a person, good sir. Includes dinner and breakfast too, and use of the baths. Or there is the common room for 5 silver, although it is a bit crowded now." He indicates the other men in the room.

"I'm afraid there are no temples around these parts, good sir. Indeed, I've had sound word that we are the only building within a hard day's travel of here. But we do have a shrine to Desna, if that would work for you, sir."

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

I'm not trying to upstage anyone, so I kind of feel bad about doing all the talking. . .

"All these travelers seek passage to Cauldren? Are the raids inded that bad, that they congrigate here and need to plan action." towards the innkeeper. "I need no gold for goblin ears nor taking heads, but my companions and I did come to help erradicate this threat to the good folk. Does anyone know where to search, or who might be directing."


I know what you mean... com'on people, post a little. Even if it is only internal monologue.

"As I hear it, the goblins are attacking caravans as they travel to the north of here," the barkeep continues. "The tend to raid 'round about mid-trip, so's I've heard."

"As for searching, just head on up the road. They'll attack you, if you don't look too strong, or so's I've heard."

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

"Masters of war tell us that to draw out an enemy, to direct their attacks, one should appear as weak, and to hold out an easy target within their grasp. Dust thou know if there be a common target, sir?"


"Merchants and travelers, or so's I've been told. Patrols of Cauldron's guardsmen don't get attacked, but they can't escort every merchant or traveler."

"And large merchant caravan's don't get attacked often either, or so's I've heard. Part of the reason that folks thinks something smart's leading them, 'cause goblin's will usually attack without any sense or tatics."

201 to 250 of 1,361 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Cobalt's Unshackled City All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.