Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Cobalt's Unshackled City

Game Master Craig Mercer

Our heroes are based in Cauldron, the northernmost city in Varisia. There they try to survive missions for the city, intriques, and maybe even save the world... or maybe not.


901 to 950 of 1,361 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>

Female Human (Varisian) Bard (Sound Striker) 3; HP 23/23; AC: 15, T: 12, FF: 13; CMD: 14; Init +3; Percep +5

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

"Hmmm... While I understand the differences in beliefs between the two churches, as you said there's certainly nothing within the two doctrines that should put them at great odds," Emyralda agrees with Brother Ruphus.

The young Varisian woman glances out the window and notices the time. "High Priestess Jenya, Brother Ruphus, thank you for your hospitality this morning. We certainly wish to help you with this mystery. However, Sir Brightblade and I have a commitment to assist our companions with rooting out the goblin tribe that's plaguing the road to Cauldron. We should be back in a few days. Would you be willing to meet with us again when we return?"

Soth-Loren, do you have anything else you want to ask Jenya? Or should we head back to rejoin the others?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

"That doesn't even begin to describe him Taravel."


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

Darian shrugged. "He was some kind of general or something. Kefka. Said his name was Kefka. Laughed a lot for no good reason. He gave me the creeps."


Emyralda, Soth-Loren

"I would be pleased if you would visit after your return. May Sarenrae's light guide your path," Jenya says.
Brother Ruphus merely nods his head, but he does look pleased.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard (Sound Striker) 3; HP 23/23; AC: 15, T: 12, FF: 13; CMD: 14; Init +3; Percep +5

Promising to return to the temple once they fulfill their obligations against the goblins, Emyralda (and presumably Soth-Loren) take their leave of Jenya and Ruphus and return to the Drunken Leviathan to meet up with their companions.

"Well, we've had a rather disturbing meeting with the acting High Priestess at the Temple of Sarenrae," Emyralda announces to the others and proceeds to tell them of the murders that have occurred at the temple. "Soth-Loren and I offered to help them with the mystery once we deal with the goblin problem. How has your morning been?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

"Hmm, I heard about those a while back. Had the city scared for quite some time. We went to the academy and Terra got some new spells. I restocked on my arrows, and we had an encounter with one of the city generals in the library, and he said something about us being destined for greatness or something along those lines. Well," He starts as he takes a bite into a meal, "Are we gonna head out hunting today?" He says with a look of eagerness on his face


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

"OK then, Lets go! Er, If you guys are ready to, that is..."


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

Darian looks down at his half finished drink and his now-empty plate and seems to ponder them for a moment, then he drinks down the rest and stands up.

"Sure, why not. I know better to argue with Terra when she gets that look."


Female Human (Varisian) Bard (Sound Striker) 3; HP 23/23; AC: 15, T: 12, FF: 13; CMD: 14; Init +3; Percep +5

"Sounds good. Just let Soth-Loren and me grab a quick bite to eat and we'll be ready to go."


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

"Eat quickly...I'm ready to go looking for some of those goblins," Tara adds excitedly, her energy bubbling to the surface.


Dispite the want for quick action, the re-equiping for a journey of several days to get to where the goblins were attacking caravans takes most of the rest of the day.

The next day the group sets out, winding down the mountain path back through the villages of Red Gorge and Alford. Soon enough, the remains of past caravans destroyed by the goblins are seen along the side of the road, and the road again passes under the eves of the Lurkwood, bounded by the River Velashu to the west.

The few caravans you have passes (traveling to the north to Cauldron) have been well armed and large. They have either had no contact with goblins, or have had only minimal brushes with goblin scouts.

What is the plan of action?
Scout for traces of goblins?
Travel and see if you get attacked (as a smaller group)?


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

Tara examines the remains and the ambush sites looking for any sign of which way the raiders might have gone.

Survival 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Female Human (Varisian) Bard (Sound Striker) 3; HP 23/23; AC: 15, T: 12, FF: 13; CMD: 14; Init +3; Percep +5

If possible, can we ask the passing caravans that had minimal brushes with goblin scouts just where they encountered them?

Also suggest we scout for traces of goblins at the sites of the destroyed caravans.

And... Ninja'd by Taravel!

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

Felix looks for any sign of goblin tracks
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
Survival: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

Terra keeps her eyes open for trouble as they travel.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

As they reach the sight of the closest reported attack, Darian leaned back in Smoke's saddle and glanced around.

"This isn't the spot where we were attacked, but we might as well take a look around. See anything Felix?"


Taravel and Felix find plenty of signs that goblins have been around, but alas, too much time has passed, and their tracks are faded and only lead a short distance into the woods before fading completely.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"I can't even see what you're following anymore. Let's just go back to where we were hit. That's probably the freshest trail."


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

Taravel shakes her head. "Yes, there's no sign of which way they went after raiding here. It'd take a much better tracker than me to follow these faded paths. I guess where they encountered you is a good place to start. "

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

"The tracks have been here a while. Let's try to find better ones where you guys were attacked."


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

"In hind sight, maybe we should have taken one prisoner and got the location from them."


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

"That is a good idea for the future, Terra. Let's always keep one alive for questioning."


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

Terra adjusts her glasses and helps the others search for clues or tracks.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Signs of goblins are everywhere, and easy to find. Too easy, it seems, and that makes trying to track them harder, since there are so many traces.
Perhaps checking at obne of their more recent attacks would yeild fresher tracks, you feel.

Everyone has good perception rolls to find traces, but the two survival rolls made weren't very good to track older tracks. Remember, you can assist someone's survival roll by making a DC10 check on survival (just let me know who you are assisting).


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

Untrained Survival to Aid Felix: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17


Female Human (Varisian) Bard (Sound Striker) 3; HP 23/23; AC: 15, T: 12, FF: 13; CMD: 14; Init +3; Percep +5

DC 10 Survival (Aid Another): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 - not likely!

Emyralda glances about, unable to make heads or tails of the multitude of goblin tracks.


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

When the group gets to a more recent encounter location, Terra tries her best to help.
Survival (Aid) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Darian, how did you make your text green?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

Felix, aided by his friends, looks for more tracks

Take ten for a total of 23


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

Survival aid 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


Checking at a site that looks more recent, Felix scours the ground carefully, looking for a trail that he can follow. Everyone else helps by pointing out what traces they can find, and following slowly behind the ranger.
The trail of the goblins leads deeper into the woods, heading for the rough foothills of the mountains. Soon, it becomes easier to follow the trail, as more tracks join in. It looks as if you've found one of the paths the goblins use to reach their lair.

I need a perception roll from Felix now.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23


You easily spot the crude trap that lies in the path. If you push foreward, you will trigger a branch to lash back, several pointed stakes tied to it. It is easy enough to avoid by walking around the trigger sticks.

Still, this is a bit more than simple goblins would do to protect their trail.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"Hold on. I don't like the idea of this catching someone else. If you clip that vine will it release the tension? Will it make noise if we set it off on purpose?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

"That might be true, but it's not what i'm concerned about. These aren't traps goblins usually build, it seems a little too advanced for them. I fear they might have some intelligent leader, perhaps a bugbear or hobgoblin."


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"To me that just means 'easier to hit'.


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

"But that also means that they hit harder, too. We need to be careful if someone is marshaling the goblins."


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

"Lets take care of it on the way out, no reason to accidently raise an alarm or injure ourselves."


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

Darian shrugs and nods.


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

"...U-unless you really think we should..." Terra quickly adds in response to Darien's silent answer.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"No, you're right. Why take the risk now. We can get it later."


The party continues along the trail, leaving the trap unsprung behind them. Soon, one of the small streams that wander down from the mountains to the River Velashu borders the path on your right hand side. More trails join the path you are following, which thickens out to almost be a road.

Survival DC 10 (Tracking):
Signs of wagons are also visible on the path now.

A constant roaring sound slowly fills the air as you move foreward.
Perception Rolls from everyone.


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

Survival 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

"Quiet everyone, I hear some strange voices up ahead," Tara warns the rest of the group.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

Trecking through the forest, I'm going to assume Darian is no longer mounted and is leading Smoke on foot.

Darian freezes.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard (Sound Striker) 3; HP 23/23; AC: 15, T: 12, FF: 13; CMD: 14; Init +3; Percep +5

Perception check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Felix looks intently ahead

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Oblivious to all, Soth-Loren walks straight into the back of whoever was before him when they stop.


For those that make their Perception roll...
Over the constant roar, you hear the gutteral, high-pitched titter of voices from ahead (around the bend).

Those that speak Goblin:
It is laughter, and shouts of encouragement such as would be shouted in a game of some sort.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard (Sound Striker) 3; HP 23/23; AC: 15, T: 12, FF: 13; CMD: 14; Init +3; Percep +5

Emyralda loads a bolt in her crossbow and gives her companions a questioning glance, waiting to see what they wish to do.


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

While waiting to see if anyone can tell what the voices are, Tara pulls her wand of Mage Armor and uses a charge on herself.

Wand now has 49 charges. AC is now 15.

901 to 950 of 1,361 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Cobalt's Unshackled City All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.