Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Carpe's Serpents Skull

Game Master Byden

The merchant ship Jenivere has embarked upon a voyage from Magnimar to distant Eleder, in a land of jungles and ancient ruins. Our heroes have been picked up at one of the many ports along the way, and now head for the myth shrouded Mwangi expanse.


1 to 50 of 2,132 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE UNTIL SELECTED.

You are one of a group of passengers aboard the Wyvern Class merchant ship Jenivere. These proud vessels plough the seas of Golarion, and this particular vessel is journeying from Magnimar is storied Varisia. Its destination, distant Eleder, in Sargava a land of jungles and savagery where the Mwangi tribes are barely kept in check by their Chelaxian colonizers.

The Jenivere began her journey some four months ago, so some of the passengers are by now very familiar with ship life. Those newly boarded still find themselves contending with roiling stomachs as they struggle to find their sea legs.

Jenivere Journey Timetable:

Port of Call Days in Port
Magnimar, Varisia Departed
Kintargo, Cheliax 2
Pezzack, Cheliax 3
Corentyn, Cheliax 7
Ilizmagorti, Mediogalti Island 2
Ollo, The Shackles 7
Quent, The Shackles 2
Port Peril, The Shackles 3
Bloodcove, Mwangi Expanse 4
Senghor, Mwangi Expanse 3

Days Spent at Sea 71
Total Journey 104

Life on board is fairly routine, though card games, tall tales, and inventive swearing all serve to pass the time. Sadly the food is not up to much as the ships cook, Rambar Terillo seems to be capable of creating exactly one dish - soup, which somehow always tastes the same no matter what ingredients he claims to have used.

The Jenivere's Captain is Alizandru Kovack, a Chelish man, who is pleasant enough with you and your fellow passengers, but a stern disciplinarian with his crew. He has been making the run between Magnimar and Eleder for some years now all without major incident, which given the perils of the route is fortunate indeed.

The most talkative and friendly crew member is without a doubt the first mate Alton Devers. He is well liked by passengers and crew alike, but seems to chafe under Captain Kovack's disciplinarian regime.

NPC Passengers

Gerik Aberwhinger:
A gnome, by the name of Gelik Aberwhinge, often seen writing, loves to tell long winded, but often entertaining stories. He is immaculately dressed, but possesses a sharp tongue and a slightly cruel sense of humor. Gerik boarded at Magnimar, so has become something of a fixture.

Ieana:
A bookish Varisian scholar who tends to keep to herself, Ieana is traveling to Sargava to explore the ancient ruins there. Rumors aboard the ship alternately suggest that she’s the Jenivere’s owner, a Chelish agent, or Captain Kovack’s secret lover. Ieana keeps mostly to herself, and grows more intent on her studies with each mile the ship travels closer to Eleder.

Jask Derindi:

A prisoner loaded aboard in Corentyn, Captain Kovack sees to this taciturn human’s needs with curt courtesy, but insists he be left alone, sequestered in the ship’s brig.

Sasha Nevah:
This red-haired human boarded the Jenivere in Ilizmagorti. Since leaving Mediogalti Island, the woman’s somber demeanor has gradually faded, revealing a boisterous and optimistic personality. None have yet questioned her about her missing left pinky finger.

Aerys Mavato:

This severe half-elven woman boarded in Port Peril, where she immediately got into a scrape with a crude sailor. She spends most of her time in her bunk, seeming to purposefully avoid fraternizing with the ship’s other passengers.

Ishirou:

A scruffy human of Tian heritage, Ishirou boarded at Bloodcove and waits to reach Sargava with a quiet eagerness. Aloof but not rude, he gives the impression of one who has had a hard life but find himself currently without direction.

It is currently early evening, on a calm warm day, with the evening meal due to be served shortly - could it be soup? Many passengers are on deck awaiting the meal, if in some cases only on the repeated assurances that it is better to have something to throw up. Gerik Aberwhinger, gnome about deck, has just finished regailing those who would listen with a tale of a cunning Mwangi tribesman who managed to outwit an arrogant Chelish noble and win his daughters hand.

Ishirou - the golden skinned Tian with a thick white head of hair and beard and a fine looking foreign blade upon his back, despite rather shabby clothing - stands to one side of the group looking faintly uncomfortable. The pretty red headed Sasha Nevah is doubled over laughing and slapping her thigh, while there is nothing to be seen of the half elf woman Aerys, or the scholar Ieana who is no doubt buried in a book again.

Please feel free to role play with one another and the NPCs until tomorrow night when I will advance things. Do not advance to dinner, do not collect watery soup ;)

Consult the table to see how long you have been on board, roughly, and this should tell you how well you know everyone. Unless a player wishes to remain aloof - let us know asap if you do - you can assume you have their basic information if they have been aboard for more than a few ports. If you wish to set up an aquaintence pre RP please do so in the discussion thread or via PM.


Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2

NPC Passenger Pic Links

Aerys Mavato, Gelik Aberwhinge, Ishirou, Jask Derindi, and Sasha Nevah


***INACTIVE*** HP 24/24, AC 17/T11/FF16, F: +5/R: +2/W: +4; Init: +1, Perc: +1 Chelaxian Human Life Oracle/3

Dotting.

Dragolan is, as described in the Discussion thread, a large and generally happy man, with long reddish hair and beard. Shipboard life being what it is, there will probably have been opportunities for him to show that he is a skilled mundane healer with some magical healing as well. Small unattended objects near him tend to move when he isn't looking, a state of affairs he accepts with equanimity.


Alexite was walking around the deck, his reserved seat at the dinner table empty. The Sargavan wasn't feeling very well; his sea legs hadn't quite kicked in as the sailors told him they would and the food wasn't helping any.

He saw the large man of whom he had heard had helped a couple of other people on board with a similar problem and decided to at least ask him about it. However, there was something odd about this man. Alexite prided himself on his awareness but he couldn't quite pinpoint what it was.

He greeted Dragolan, "Good evening, sir. I was wondering..."

There it happened again and there was no denying it; he'd seen it up close now and his own eyes. His original query forgotten, the ranger could not help himself, "There," he pointed to the man's spoon. "Did you see that? It moved! Did you do that?"

TAG Dragolan
Just trying to start a conversation with the other one that posted so far.


***INACTIVE*** HP 24/24, AC 17/T11/FF16, F: +5/R: +2/W: +4; Init: +1, Perc: +1 Chelaxian Human Life Oracle/3

Without batting an eye, Dragolan snags the errant spoon. "No, I didn't. I really shouldn't complain about anything that makes it more difficult for me to eat this...soup." He shudders slightly. "A minor annoyance, no more."


Dragolan Canario wrote:
Without batting an eye, Dragolan snags the errant spoon. "No, I didn't. I really shouldn't complain about anything that makes it more difficult for me to eat this...soup." He shudders slightly. "A minor annoyance, no more."

The ranger took the response in stride. He was smart enough to recognize when a subject was 'off-limits' with someone; he had his own.

He shrugged, "I thought the spoon had moved but maybe I'm seeing things. Sea life hasn't been agreeing with me if you know what I mean. Actually I came over because I saw you helping other people. Is there anything that can be done about my... condition? I feel 'funny' and can't seem to hold down even the watery soup that passes for meals on board this ship?"

Later
"So what brings to Sargava if I may ask?"


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

A reedy half-elf of obviously Chelish ancestry steps onto deck as Gerick finishes his story. Regarding the crowd, his lips turn up in a half-smile. "Are you sure that's a Mwangi tale, Gerick? I seem to recall hearing a similar one, only it was a gnome who married off his daughter when he was outsmarted a badger. Or was it a mole? I never can keep it straight - you're people have the most unusual affections for burrowing animals."

Overhearing the conversation passing between Alexite and Dragolan, he leans up against a nearby crate. "The soup again?" he interjects. "I admire our cook's talent - it is no easy feat to so perfectly recreate such an unremarkable flavor from such a wide range of ingredients. I think he must have tutored under a truly masterful chef. However, if you find yourself tiring of the cuisine, there's a simple spell I've been using to enhance the flavor of my own soup during meals. It wouldn't be much trouble to include a second bowl in its effect." He turns towards the side of the ship, staring out over the endless wave. "Generally I abhor such frivolous use of magic, but a hundred days on such fare is at least eighty-seven days too many, by my counting."


Lydran Entelios wrote:
However, if you find yourself tiring of the cuisine, there's a simple spell I've been using to enhance the flavor of my own soup during meals. It wouldn't be much trouble to include a second bowl in its effect." He turns towards the side of the ship, staring out over the endless wave. "Generally I abhor such frivolous use of magic, but a hundred days on such fare is at least eighty-seven days too many, by my counting."

The ranger didn't quite understand the math the scholar, now magic-user, was using. Two days of this soup were enough for him. He decided to take him up on the offer, "Do you take requests? I'm not feeling very well and it's been my experience that my stomach will tolerate sweet things a lot better. My mother used to give me thick, pineapple syrup to cure me of any stomach ache." His mind drifted off for s second remembering lazy summers at the plantation but quickly turned to half-elf.

"In any case, anything you can do to make it taste different than yesterday's soup will be appreciated." The ranger extended his hand, "I'm Alexite, Alexite Krupt from Sargava. And you are..."

TAG Lydran


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Lydran grasps the man's wrist and gives it a single, firm shake. "I'm Lydran, a scholar from Cheliax. I don't know that I can recreate the exact taste of pineapple - I've only tried it a few times, you see - but sweet? Sweet I can certainly do." He crosses his arm, propping them up on the rail as he turns back towards the sea.

"I've heard and read all manner of stories about Sargava," he continues, "But, sadly, in Cheliax, unbiased information can be difficult to come back. Seeing as we're bound for Sargava, I don't suppose you could shed any light on wild tales of cannibalistic tribesmen, worshiping demonic apes and snatching helpless colonists from stilted houses with straw roofs?"


Lydran Entelios wrote:
"But, sadly, in Cheliax, unbiased information can be difficult to come back. Seeing as we're bound for Sargava, I don't suppose you could shed any light on wild tales of cannibalistic tribesmen, worshiping demonic apes and snatching helpless colonists from stilted houses with straw roofs?"

Alexite chuckled, "Just that, wild tales but every wild tale has a bit of truth to it. I haven't seen any demon-worshiping apes but I did fight off Bandu tribesmen on the mining hills in northwest Sargava. The Bandu are slavers but save some of the their slaves to offer them to demons. So if you are close enough to a tribesman to tell that his face is painted green, you are in trouble."

The ranger shook his head, "I'm sure one of the survivors thought they were being chased by apes and started the rumor. As for the cannibals, just stories some of the colonials tell to keep the natives under control."

His curiosity peaked, "Cheliax eh? Is it true that devils walk the streets there?"

Hey DM Carpe, feel free to shut me up if you think that Alexite would not know this or would know things differently.


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

"It depends on where you are. In Egorian, certainly, though I wouldn't call them omnipresent. They don't run rampant through the streets - they aren't living there, they're serving. Every devil you meet in Cheliax is there for a reason, a purpose. An imp might be serving as a wizard's familiar. A bearded devil might be aiding the city watch on a patrol. A barbed devil might be guarding a bank. There's always a purpose for them." There is a vaguely appreciative tone in his voice as he speaks, though he quickly moves on. "And of course House Thrune's influence is as total as they would like. Some communities, especially in the countryside, merely pay lip service to the forces of Hell, and others covertly resist it. In smaller towns, it's rare to encounter a binder who is able to control devils of any real power, and there, their influence is barely felt at all. Deviltry is by and large the purview of nobility. The higher one wishes to climb, the more vocal they must be about their devotion to Asmodeus and their willingness to embrace diabolism, but I don't imagine life has changed much for the average Chelish peasant since the Thrune Ascendancy."


***INACTIVE*** HP 24/24, AC 17/T11/FF16, F: +5/R: +2/W: +4; Init: +1, Perc: +1 Chelaxian Human Life Oracle/3

Forking back in the conversation a bit:

Dragolan chuckles. "Your eyes don't deceive you, my friend. It moved. I'm used to it by now...as I said, a minor annoyance." He screws up his face and bolts down the last of his soup before reaching for a wine cup (that also began to slide away before he touched it). "Something to clear the palate, as it were.

"As for what brings me to Sargava? Life, my friend, in all the myriad varieties that have been leached out of Cheliax's tamed lands. The tales I've heard, of the jungles...the sights and smells, and the things to eat...do you know, I had a pineapple once. It had been carried north, survived the sea voyage (it didn't have to subsist on soup), and though it was bruised and battered a small magic sufficed to restore it partially. It was wonderful. That leads me to wonder what else there is that doesn't travel well. Rather like the best of the Egorian whites, I fear...but enough of that."

Cheliax

M Human Inquisitor 1 HP 12/12 | AC 14 FF 13 Touch 11 | Saves +3/+1/+3 | Init + 1 | Percep +6

A tall red-haired man dressed in a short non-descript jacket stands a few feet away calmly talking to a member of the crew. Don't you have anything else to eat? You must have picked up something in one of the ports. How else would you survive? I understand that it will cost me but just state your terms for it. The sailor replies in the negative and says that the crew has gotten used to Terillo's fare. He seems in a hurry to get away from Joll who, you notice, was standing well within the man's personal space.

Once the sailor leaves Joll turns in your direction at a measured pace but his steps quicken when the subject of sweetening the soup is raised.

Can you really make this palatable? he asks Lydran. I would have thought that the worst consideration on this journey would be an encounter with pirates.

I am Joll, from Corentyne.

why did you have to bring up pineapples? Now I have a craving for some.


Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2
Lydran wrote:
A reedy half-elf of obviously Chelish ancestry steps onto deck as Gerick finishes his story. Regarding the crowd, his lips turn up in a half-smile. "Are you sure that's a Mwangi tale, Gerick? I seem to recall hearing a similar one, only it was a gnome who married off his daughter when he was outsmarted by a badger. Or was it a mole? I never can keep it straight - you're people have the most unusual affections for burrowing animals."

The pretty red head snorts, and gives Lydran a friendly slap on the back,

"What do you say Gerick, ever gotten unusual in your affections for a badger?"

Gerick smiles thinly, but gives Lydran's comment an approving nod, as if to say, "well played", "Say rather burrowing animals have an unusual affection for my people. How about this one then... One day a King had his warriors and guests around a table. On the opposite sides of the table was the King's champion and a Half Elf bard. The champion was an arrogant brutish man who took delight in belittling the courtiers at the table. The Half Elf quickly realised he was far too clever for the arrogant champion and his cheer squard of fellow warriors around the table. He took great pleasure in subtle mocking to impress the ladies and in no time he was locked in a contest of one-up-manship. The Champion tired of the insults thought he'd outwit the Half Elf and asked, "What's the difference between a Half-Elf and a Half-Wit?" To which the Half Elf replied, "The width of this table."

Gerik chortles at his own joke, absent mindedly picking some imaginary lint from the shoulder of his pristine little dandies outfit. With a sigh he mutters and chants waggling his fingers and creating a handful of gleaming silvery bubbles which he directs over his garments cleaning away imagined grime - everyone has noticed he does this several dozen times a day.

Spellcraft DC 15:

Off towards the stern you hear raised voices and see the first mate, Alton Devers, surrounded by three crewmen. They look upset, though far from violent, and Alton is raising his hands placatingly. The mate soon has the men hopping back to their tasks and he sighs before continueing his rounds.

Listen DC 18:

Crew: "This can't be right Alton, we never come out this far, this won't get us to Sargava any faster..."
Alton Devers: "And you'd know better than the Captain would you. I've already made him aware of our concerns, but he says hes got new information. Swears we'll be in Eleder in two days, if he's right then we cut off a bit of time, if not so we loose a day or two and know to avoid this course next time around. Am I right, or am I right?"

Cheliax

M Human Inquisitor 1 HP 12/12 | AC 14 FF 13 Touch 11 | Saves +3/+1/+3 | Init + 1 | Percep +6

Spellcraft
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Perception
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Joll watches the conversation intently and when the three men return to their tasks he approaches Devers and asks him a question in an inquisitive but not a challenging manner.

Spoilered for those who did not make the above listed check, otherwise read away

Spoiler:
[b]Is there something amiss? I understood that the ship's course was well set. Why the change?

My first two rolls with this character and both land on the nose. I bet my luck gets worse quickly.


Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2

"The Captain's said something about a newly discovered current. He knows what he is doing I'm sure, its just these waters aren't the safest... I've expressed my concerns, believe me, but in all the years I've served with him he's never steered us wrong, despite being a bit rough on the lads at times. Don't worry yourself, Captain Kovack knows the sea like the back of hand, he'll probably get us to Eleder in record time, and worse case I'm sure we'll only loose a day or two." Devers replies, brow furrowed.

Sense Motive DC 15:

Anton is obviously trying to make a brave face of things, but very concerned. He likely feels its his duty to placate the passengers and crew.

Cheliax

M Human Inquisitor 1 HP 12/12 | AC 14 FF 13 Touch 11 | Saves +3/+1/+3 | Init + 1 | Percep +6

Sense Motive
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Joll listens to Devers's explanation and searches his own mind for anything he might have learned about ocean currents or sailing procedures on the open sea. But, frustratingly, his memories are barren of any such knowledge. He decides to fall back on his training and give Devers the impression that he knows more than he does.

"Newly discovered currents", of course. Thank you, Mr. Devers, I won't delay you any longer. And with that he takes his leave of the first mate and approaches the conversation playing out between Gerrick, Sasha and the others.


Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Sense motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Having heard the first mate's comments, Alexite politely accompanied the tall red-haired man as he questioned the first mate.

Waiting for him to be alone, he turned to Joll. "I don't know much about sailing but I have been in the first mate's situation before. It's not the first time I've had to tell people everything will be OK when I really wasn't sure."

He shook his head, "I don't think everything is fine. Care to come with me to question the captain?"

Joll?

Alexite nodded and extended his hand, "Joll is it? I'm Alexite Krupt."

DM, is the captain available for questioning?


Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2

Captain Kovacks is not in sight, he is likely in his own cabin. By now you probably know him well enough to realise that seeking him there or questioning his decisions would receive short shrift - which is not to say you are not welcome to try.


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Wow, rotten luck so far...


***INACTIVE*** HP 24/24, AC 17/T11/FF16, F: +5/R: +2/W: +4; Init: +1, Perc: +1 Chelaxian Human Life Oracle/3

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

"Hmph. Well, as long as we get where we're going in one piece. I have little desire to see the life beneath the waves until I have magic to let me survive the experience!"


HP: 12/18 | AC: 17/13/14 | Saves: 0/+6/+3 | Initiative: +3 | Perception: +11 (+12 vs. traps) | Evasion | Fast Stealth |

Jack makes his way up on deck for the first time in a few days. He glances around, scanning those who have gathered here. "What's all the hubbub?", he asks to no one in particular.

The cloaked man meanders over to a half-eaten bowl of soup that someone has carelessly left atop a barrel. Without asking whom it belongs to, he brings the bowl to his lips and noisily slurps at the contents.

Since Jack is just now arriving, I'm going to say he isn't eligible to make the above checks.


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Lydran arches a brow at towards the new addition to the deck. He's seen the man a few times, but is he a passenger, or part of the crew? He certainly has a talent for being scarce, in any case. Supposing that it doesn't much matter right now, Lydran shrugs. "Something about soup, I think. Or maybe our arrival. I didn't quite catch it, though now that you mention it, it might behoove us all to find out."

Lydran approaches Alexite and Joll, avoiding eye-contact with the latter. "There seems to have been an abrupt shift in tone on deck - is there something amiss?"


Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2

Jack, there is no soup. You are waiting for dinner.

Cheliax

M Human Inquisitor 1 HP 12/12 | AC 14 FF 13 Touch 11 | Saves +3/+1/+3 | Init + 1 | Percep +6
Alexite Krupt wrote:


Having heard the first mate's comments, Alexite politely accompanied the tall red-haired man as he questioned the first mate.

Waiting for him to be alone, he turned to Joll. "I don't know much about sailing but I have been in the first mate's situation before. It's not the first time I've had to tell people everything will be OK when I really wasn't sure."

He shook his head, "I don't think everything is fine. Care to come with me to question the captain?"

Joll?

Alexite nodded and extended his hand, "Joll is it? I'm Alexite Krupt."

Yes, Joll Beliker. It's a pleasure to meet you, Alexite. And, yes, I would like to speak with the captain.

To Lydran he says: We have changed course and this has caused some dispute among the crew. Do you know much about sailing?

When Joll sees Jack he is taken aback somewhat but does his best not to display any reaction. He had been careful to note the number of passengers and crew on the ship but could have simply missed this man. Or is he the prisoner? It seems unlikely that the Captain would let him wander the deck no matter how merciful Kovack might be.


Joll wrote:

Yes, Joll Beliker. It's a pleasure to meet you, Alexite. And, yes, I would like to speak with the captain.

To Lydran he says: We have changed course and this has caused some dispute among the crew. Do you know much about sailing?

Bolstered by his companions presence, the ranger decided to go and get first-hand news. "Well, I don't see him around but he should be in his cabin. It's this way. Lydran, you are welcome to come along as well. Maybe the three of us can get some answers from the taciturn man."

Alexite started to the captain's quarters, slow enough to make sure the other two passengers were following. Once there, he rapped on the door, "Captain, a couple of us made a bet about the weather and wanted your opinion; can you help us settle this bet? It will only take a second."

DM Carpe, below are my suggestions how to handle 'conversations' on PBEMs that may work here as well. Instead of players logging on and asking one question and waiting for the answer before asking again (after logging), I propose we ask a few questions (logging on once) and then you answer them all at once (also logging on once). If you are OK with this, here are Alexite's questions
a) Are those rain clouds on the north? (or some other place, something to make the captain at ease)
b) Some passengers think that we changed course, is this true?
c) Why?
d) Is it safe?
e) Do you need any help or should we be preparing for something?
Others:, feel free to add your questions assuming DM Carpe is OK with this.
DM Carpe: Feel free to shoot this thing down and we'll question the captain however you see fit.

"Thank you, captain. We'll disturb you no longer."

Cheliax

M Human Inquisitor 1 HP 12/12 | AC 14 FF 13 Touch 11 | Saves +3/+1/+3 | Init + 1 | Percep +6

I like that suggestions. Anything that helps speed up play is welcome.


Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2

I'm okay with that, but I'd like it in IC text in the future. So just type, for example, Captain I had a few questions, (ask questions) . I'll respond soon, on phone currently.


HP: 12/18 | AC: 17/13/14 | Saves: 0/+6/+3 | Initiative: +3 | Perception: +11 (+12 vs. traps) | Evasion | Fast Stealth |

Haha, I'm sorry. I posted about 4 hours after reading everyone else's posts, and there were so many mentions of soup. I forgot that it hadn't actually been served yet. Ignore the last little part of my post. :)

Jack wanders over to the ship's mast and stares up into the sky, as if he were checking to see if it had a crow's nest. Turning on his heels, he leans against the mast in time to see the others heading over to bother the captain. "I'd hate to be them right now.", he mumbled. He'd definitely found out first hand how little Captain Kovack appreciates interruptions.


***INACTIVE*** HP 24/24, AC 17/T11/FF16, F: +5/R: +2/W: +4; Init: +1, Perc: +1 Chelaxian Human Life Oracle/3

My fault, I think--I was riffing off of the observation of a moving spoon, and jumped from that to soup.

The large Chelaxian next to Sand nods absently. "To be sure. I don't think we've met, sir. I am Dragolan Canario." He smiles warmly and extends a pudgy hand.


HP: 12/18 | AC: 17/13/14 | Saves: 0/+6/+3 | Initiative: +3 | Perception: +11 (+12 vs. traps) | Evasion | Fast Stealth |

Sand almost seemed to forget that there are other people about, and was momentarily startled by the rotund man's greeting. "Oh! How rude of me.", he said as he offered a half-bow and took the man's hand firmly. "A pleasure to meet you, Dragolan Canario!" He repeated the name in his head a few times, then mouthed it silently with his lips. "That sounds like the name of an important man.", he said as a sly smile crept across his lips.

"You may call me Jack. Everyone does." He released the man's hand and tilted back on his heels. "What brings you to be aboard the Jenivere, if you don't mind me asking?"


***INACTIVE*** HP 24/24, AC 17/T11/FF16, F: +5/R: +2/W: +4; Init: +1, Perc: +1 Chelaxian Human Life Oracle/3

"An honor, Jack. I must demur, sir; I'm no one important...at least to anyone not me. Now, the obvious answer to your question is that it was the first ship I found in Pezzack that happened to be sailing in the direction I wanted to go. I don't think that's what you were asking, though." He chuckles broadly. "As to the why of that, well, Sargava (though sadly lacking in grapes) is nevertheless a place of wondrous and untamed Nature, or so I've been told, and I have devoted my life to the wonders of Life. And after all, everyone must needs leave home sometime...at least I am going to someplace I think I shall enjoy being. And you?"


Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2
Alexite Krupt wrote:


Alexite started to the captain's quarters, slow enough to make sure the other two passengers were following. Once there, he rapped on the door, "Captain, a couple of us made a bet about the weather and wanted your opinion; can you help us settle this bet? It will only take a second."

"Are those rain clouds on the north? Some passengers think that we changed course, is this true? If so why? And is it safe? Do you need any help or should we be preparing for something?"

Captain Kovacks jerks the door open a fraction of an inch and fixes Alexite with a gimlet gaze. He speaks in a crisp hard tone, on the cusp of being impolite,

"This is my ship Master Krupt, here I am Owner, Captain, and Commander. We are following the best course I - as an experienced navigator and Captain of some twenty years - have seen fit to plot, if you have any issues feel free to disembark at your leisure. Now, I trust you will excuse me as I have work to do."

With that he makes to close the door...

Perception DC 25:
There is someone else breathing in the room.


Female Human (Chelish) Bard 1 / Sorcerer 2; Initiative +2, Perception +4, hp 19, AC 14 (+2 Dex, +2 armour), Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +7

In the ship's hold, Quinta awakens. Her stomach growls at her, and she angrily claps a hand against it; sneaking out at night once every day to pilfer food from the ship's stores is as much risk as she is willing to take, but her body disagrees with the idea of moderation.

'At least I'm not seasick,' she thinks, trying to console herself. 'Lucky for me, since I've never been out to sea this long before...'

Again, her stomach growls at her. 'Quiet down, you!' Again, the girl slaps her stomach, as if trying to reprimand an unruly animal. But the beast is off the chain now, and Quinta starts to feel a ripple of weakness pass through her as hunger gnaws at her stomach.

'Maybe there are some more edible ingredients I can filch,' she thinks, vaguely hopeful as she listens for the proximity of other people. 'Maybe something I can snatch quickly, then return here...?'

Quinta listens for people nearby. Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18.

If she does not detect anyone close enough to catch her, Quinta starts to sneak over to the food stores for something small, easily missed and edible. Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14.


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Lydran's hand shoots out, catching the door before the captain can shut it completely. "Captain, your crew seems nervous, and that only spreads to your passengers. We are not unreasonable men, and we respect your authority on this ship - we are simply looking for something concrete to justify - or refute - these vague discomforts. Equally vague answers do nothing to assuage them. Of course your ship is yours to sail as you will, and should you insist on giving us a curt citation of your experience as our sole assurance, we'll be happy to leave it a that. But as you say, we're on it with you for better or worse, and I'm sure you'll find a journey with relaxed passengers far more pleasant than one in which your crew and passengers are spitting suspicions in every corner of your ship."

Doing to try for a Diplomacy roll here. Let's hope my luck is a little better this time... 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Cheliax

M Human Inquisitor 1 HP 12/12 | AC 14 FF 13 Touch 11 | Saves +3/+1/+3 | Init + 1 | Percep +6

Sense Motive
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Joll is very impressed by Lydran's approach and reminds himself that answers can be gotten with friendly persuasion as often as with intimidation, especially in a situation where the interrogator is not in a position of power.


HP: 12/18 | AC: 17/13/14 | Saves: 0/+6/+3 | Initiative: +3 | Perception: +11 (+12 vs. traps) | Evasion | Fast Stealth |

Jack nodded politely as the hefty man spoke, though his eyes seemed to constantly dart about the length of the deck. "That sounds utterly fascinating, my good man.", he replied, though his tone seemed mildly insincere. Whether or not he was successful in conveying a sense of interest in the man's business didn't seem to be among his immediate concerns.

With a smirk, he sprung up from his leaning position and began to walk towards the entrance to the ship's hold. "I've got a few things to check up on. You understand. I'm sure we'll speak again." With that, he casually disappeared into the depths of the ship.


Alexite, his initial questions 'answered', stepped aside and let Lydran have his time with the captain, waiting to see what he gleaned out of the situation...

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2

The Captain listens to Lydran and grunts,

"I was told about a new current, its as simple as that, I have no reason to doubt my source and it could potentially save a day or twos travel - not only for this voyage, but those in future. If we cannot catch this current we will loose a day, maybe two, that is the worse case scenario. A ships crew is always grumbling about something, that is the way of men confined aboard a ship, you would do well to ignore such idle talk."

With that he nods to the passengers and closes his door.


***INACTIVE*** HP 24/24, AC 17/T11/FF16, F: +5/R: +2/W: +4; Init: +1, Perc: +1 Chelaxian Human Life Oracle/3

Odd fellow...doubtless I'll see him again. Ah! It appears that the captain hasn't ordered them haulkeeled, or whatever that barbaric punishment method was called. Dragolan crosses his hands on his ample belly and awaits the return of the others.


DM Carpe wrote:

The Captain listens to Lydran and grunts,

"I was told about a new current, its as simple as that, I have no reason to doubt my source and it could potentially save a day or twos travel - not only for this voyage, but those in future. If we cannot catch this current we will loose a day, maybe two, that is the worse case scenario. A ships crew is always grumbling about something, that is the way of men confined aboard a ship, you would do well to ignore such idle talk."

With that he nods to the passengers and closes his door.

"Well, at least we tried...," Alexite shrugged. "Maybe we should ask the first mate; I'm sure there was something he wasn't telling us. Do any of you know where he might be right now?"

Cheliax

M Human Inquisitor 1 HP 12/12 | AC 14 FF 13 Touch 11 | Saves +3/+1/+3 | Init + 1 | Percep +6

I asked him and he gave me the same account that the captain did. Then he went off to attend to other duties. Unfortunately, I lost track of him in all the activity on-board. It should not be too hard to locate him, though.


Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2

Anton Devers appears from the galley carrying a tray with a number of bowls of steaming soup upon it - it looks like the usual fare sadly - and a full waterskin. He smiles and nods at you before making his way down into the hold, presumably towards the brig where the mysterious prisoner is being kept. As he passes he calls loudly,

"Grubs up folks, get it while its hot, at least you can concentrate on the temperature rather than the taste that way!"

Once you make your way through to the galley and take your seats at the long table you are joined by the rest of the passengers. Captain Kovacks scowling and looking decidely surly takes his place at the head of the table, glowers about and then growls,

"Well, are you attempting to starve us or poison us Mister Terillo? Bring out your slop and fetch wine or water for those that want it,"

The familiar wooden bowls and goblets sit on the table before you, and Gerik, the daper gnome, wearing a faintly disgusted expression, can be seen directing his magical bubbles to scour those in front of him.

Sasha Nevah, the fiery haired boisterously pretty young woman, is telling a disinterested Aerys Mavato about a tryst with a Taldoran noble - hinting that the gentleman had certain rather odd predelictions. Between laughing at her own tale Sasha shoots Joll some frankly appraising stares, smiling like a cat whenever he looks her way.

Aerys sits with her back turned slightly towards Sasha, fingers clamped white knuckled about the stem of her empty goblet. Ishirou the grey bearded Tian, sits quietly as usual looking slightly pained, but he is never at ease in a group at the best of times.

Perception DC 15:
Ishirou keeps covertly glancing at Aerys when he thinks nobody is looking.

The Varisian scholar, Ieana, for once without a book glances about at her fellow passengers shyly. She chuckles at Sasha's story, but seems slightly confused by some of the details - its probably fair to say she does not engage in many trysts judging by her ink stained fingers.

After a few minutes of dark muttering the burly ships cook, Rambar Terillo, stalks over with pot and ladle and begins filling each of your bowls with watery unappealing soup.

"Is especial good tonight, I add dried mutton and flavor with red pepper," he declares challengingly, before snatching up a skin of the ships cheap vinegery wine and filling the goblets of any who fail to object. Aerys calls for a refill before he leaves the table.

As you eat Gerik does a withering impression of a kindly old sailor who likes to tell, presumably tall, tales about his many voyages, it is funny and on the nose though rather cruel,

"so the mermaid slapped me and said, you aren't catching this fish with a hook that small!" The gnome finishes to uproarous laughter from Sasha, and even chuckles from Aerys and the Captain.

In other words its a pretty normal meal aboard the Jenivere, that is until Rambar the cook collapses spilling a huge pan of soup across the floor. Gerik slumps forward and then tumbles slowly from his seat and then you feel a sudden cramp in your stomach and your vision dims alarmingly!

Need fortitude saves from everyone please!

Please note that this is essentially a set piece to begin the adventure, so there are benefits for getting a high score, but they won't prevent what is happening as such.

Quinta:

Alton enters his cabin where he has allowed you to sleep, behaving as a complete gentlemen throughout the trip, though you suspect he might have some feelings for you. Stepping over the hammock he has been sleeping in carefully he hands you a tray with a single bowl of soup and a half full wine skin,

"There you go Quinta love. I know it tastes like pi.. its not very nice, but at least its loop warm! I've got to go, need to keep an eye on the crew with all this dark talk about the Captain's course. I know he knows these waters better than me, but I'll be damned if I've ever heard of this blasted current of his. Still, I suppose it will be worth it if he's right, and if he isn't at least we won't have to brave these waters again... I'll grab a bite later, a mates work is never done I tell you."

So saying he leaves and you eat your soup, despite having tried it before and long since tired of its dubious virtues. A minute passes and then you find your stomach cramping convulsively and your vision darkening!

Make a fortitude save please, see above.


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Lydran mutters a brief incantation before stepping into the mess, a prestidigitation spell ready to spice up another unpalatable meal. He takes a seat near Alexite and Joll, using his cantrip to sweeten the soup. It makes it more bearable, but it's not what anyone would call gourmet.

Perception Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Fortitude Save 1d20 ⇒ 9


***INACTIVE*** HP 24/24, AC 17/T11/FF16, F: +5/R: +2/W: +4; Init: +1, Perc: +1 Chelaxian Human Life Oracle/3

Lost in recollections of feasts past, Dragolan is focused only on surviving the meal. Hm. That's a rather odd underta-- The world fades to black around him.

Perception check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Fort save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Perception check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Fortitude save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Alexite nodded to Lydran, "Not quite my mother's pineapple syrup but much, much better than the past few days. I may just hold this one down. As a matter of fact, the sweetness from your magic and the spicy red peppers blends nicely; it..."

Not able to finish the sentence and overcome from stomach cramps, Alexite dropped his spoon and slumped hard on the table.

Cheliax

M Human Inquisitor 1 HP 12/12 | AC 14 FF 13 Touch 11 | Saves +3/+1/+3 | Init + 1 | Percep +6

Perception
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Sasha's inviting glances catch Joll's eye and take his mind off the prospect of bad soup. He returns a friendly smile and decides to pursue this opportunity as quickly as possible. But first he must at least make a show of polite behavior at the dinner table so he steadies himself for the soup.

Fortitude Save
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

What kind of spices are these? he thinks before everything goes black.


HP: 12/18 | AC: 17/13/14 | Saves: 0/+6/+3 | Initiative: +3 | Perception: +11 (+12 vs. traps) | Evasion | Fast Stealth |

Jack had been impatiently waiting for the soup to be served, and was one of the first to arrive at the table. He eagerly gobbled down the slop within seconds of the bowl being filled.

Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Fortitude Save: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17


Lacedon Monster Info:
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 hp 13 (2d8+4) Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 Defensive Abilities channel resistance +2

One by one the darkness takes you...

========================================================================

Everything is dark and silent. Slowly sensation starts to return to Alexite Krupt... He feels something wet at his feet and hears the sound of waves lapping up on a beach. Then there’s a pressure on his legs followed by a searing pain, and he wakes up.

He is definitely on a beach, at the end of an inlet of water, illuminated by the wan light of a new days dawn. Around him, he can see several others lying unconscious in the sand, his fellow passengers by the looks of things. At his feet, is a monstrous sea creature, like a cross between a lobster and a scorpion. It’s claws snap visciously. It has obviously just nipped at him, leaving a bloody gash. Further up the beach on either side of the inlet, he can see several more of these creatures.

Alexite:
The creature is an Ochre Eurypterid, a sea scorpion with a dangerous poison sting and fearsome pincers. Some foolish sea Captains have tried seeding their ships holds with colonies of these creatures as they do not eat the ships store but are murder on rats, but these ships invariably ended up with many crew with odd numbers of fingers. As a vermin its immune to mind effecting abilities.

He is wearing only the clothes he had on aboard the ship, which do not appear to be wet, but can see a pile of weapons and equipment further up the beach which seems to contain his items.

10 feet away, any single item can be retrieved with a move action.

In addition to his other woes Alexite finds his stomach still reeling and his head ringing.

Take 1 point of damage. You have the sickened condition. You are not wearing armor - it would have been uncomfortable and impractical on ship and if there was a threat of pirates, etc., you would have had ample opportunity to change.

Sickened:
The character takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Alexite's Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Alexite's Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Lobster Scorpion's Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Seeing its prey stir the lobster scorpion emits a chitter of protest and attacks, its claws and sting lashing out at the unfortunate prone Alexite! He manages to roll away from one claw, but the other catches him as he does so, and the sting sinks into the flesh of his thigh!

Claw 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10Claw 1 Dam: 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
Claw 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18Claw 2 Dam: 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Sting: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18Sting Dam: 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1

Alexite takes 2 points of damage (3 total now) and must make a DC 10 fortitude save vs poison or loose 1 Dex.

MAP


Fortitude save: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 4 - 2 = 15

"What the ...," Alexite yelled as he gained consciousness. The first thing he saw was the monstrous lobster that just nipped his leg. The sting pierced his leg but he recoiled quickly enough leaving his thigh stained with venom but none of it entered the wound. He got up and almost fell again as his vision turned black for a moment; he felt like vomiting.

Quickly scanning his surroundings, he saw what appeared to be his falchion on top of a pile of stuff. Hearing the chattering from the monster, he decided to cautiously move back and to get his blade; there was no way his bare hands were going to get through the carapace.

On his way to the pile, he saw a couple of people whom he had shared his meal; was it yesterday? As he passed by Dragolan and Joll, Alexite unceremoniously kicked both men while shouting, "Up! Get up! We're under attack!" The ranger then grabbed his blade and turned to face the lobster-thing.

I don't think I have time to attack. If so, let me know and I'll write it up.

1 to 50 of 2,132 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Souls for Smuggler's Shiv All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.