Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Carbide's Through a Cracked Mirror: The Dark Road (Inactive)

Game Master John Woodford

As the myriad potential Golarions collide, a small group of heroes is charged with setting things right.


251 to 300 of 2,713 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Weakly Godlike Entity

One short stop at the provisioner's later, you're off to the docks. The Sea Nymph is a rakish sloop, her lines promising speed and maneuverability (albeit at the expense of space). Captain Mack is a shaven-headed Tian; he and the crew of four are waiting for you to arrive, and get underway as you're settling in. There's a bit of grumbling about the trip, but nothing major. You get the impression that they'd been on call and doing nothing for almost a month before they ferried the first group to Cassomir a few days ago, and they'd barely gotten the ship provisioned themselves before the call came to do it again.

The trip, as promised, is a short one. Any of you not used to sailing might be a bit green by the time you reach Cassomir, as the captain chooses speed over comfort even when that means a lot of bouncing around. They also don't heave to overnight, though they do furl some of the sails--the night helmsman is a half-orc.

They leave you at the quay with your possessions and are last seen finding a berth for themselves. Eretria, the compass points south and east from the docks.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria spends most of the trip sick, likely throwing up over the side of the ship while clutching to dear life because she is not use to being at sea ever, since spending most of her time in the desert. Relieved to be on solid ground again she is none to happy to get away from the docks.

Looking at the compass, "It appears we need to go southeast...." She comments, not waiting for a response from the men before walking that way as she was eager to be away from the ship.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami spends most of his travel time in stoic silence, still pondering the unsurmountable amount of questions that plagued him. Where was this world in relation to his own? What was the other "him" like? Did his people suffer oppression here, too?

He sleeps little, and eats less; much of his time is spent either in quiet contemplation or in practice. He makes use of what little room the ship affords him, exercising the varied movements that make his art his own, and unique. He even spars a bit with Xavier, though the human's experience with weapons far outweighs his own.

Even though he was making the best of the situation, Sami was quite happy to be on dry land again, and he offers Xavier a grin and a nod as he turns to follow Eretria, and the compass, to their fate.


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP54/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Xavier was dissapointed the trip was over so soon. He'd found a fast friend in the snake man, who'd proven a wonderful listener thoughout the trip, barely saying a word and hanging on the many stories he'd shared with his new friend.
He'd even proven an apt workout partner. He found his martial style strange but great to watch. Sami was no match for Xavier's Two weapon style, of course, but he'd be able to lend a good flank when the fighting started.

It was also a good chance to get to know Eretria, beyond simply wishing to know if the rumorsreguarding those dancing desert women were true (and he wasn't game to ask yet).
Unfortunately the woman was smart and so either better conversation, saving her life or lots of mead would be the key to bedding her. He WAS a talker but she wasn't the type to be impressed with stories.of Valour, he had yet to learn if she got into her cups much and so saving her life seemed the best option. If he knew adventuring (and he did a bit) he get plenty of oppourtunities to save her in the coming days.

The other one was a closed book to Xavier. He hardly spoke (unless it was about the damn gods!) and didn't show much interest in booze or wenches and dueling. THAT was frustrating.For Xavier those were the 3 best things in life and besides himself, took all his talking time up.

Xavier returns the wink at Sami as Eretria walking off. The way her hips swayed, she was EASY to walk behind...


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Rashun spends the trip wondering what his other self would be like. Did he fulfill his destiny, or he is just some common street thug? Could he convert his other self to a path of righteousness if that was the way of his other self's life?
He also wondered dangers would await him, not only in this world, but the others. As for his companions, he thought Sami was strange. The lady was pretty, and seemed to be focus on the task at hand. He could trust her, but that Xavier fellow, while probably good with a sword, just seemed lost at times. Maybe he could get him to see the difference between things that do matter and things that don't.


Weakly Godlike Entity

You gather up your gear and head out of town towards the southeast. It's a walk of a couple of miles along the beach once you're out of town. The tide is out, incidentally, and has begun to turn not long ago. There aren't very many people out on the beach even close to the city. For about half the walk, the city was hidden from your view by the bluffs, although you can still see many ships coming and going to this major Taldan seaport.

Eventually you come to a point where the compass points towards the water. A bit of walking around reveals that the rift is out in the tidal zone, currently uncovered, but at high tide it'd be surrounded by the water. It's a spindle roughly twelve feet high and four feet wide at the middle, and it's initially hard to see because the view through it looks very similar to its surroundings here.

Dice rolls:
Tide height: 1d100 ⇒ 10

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria ponders to herself about if she even has an alternate self and what she would be like, stopping when she realized the compass points into the water. She grumbles loudly, reaching down to tie her skirt up high around her thighs so it doesn't catch in the water and regretting white being her color of choice she begins slowly walking out to the rift in question. Staring up at it in wonder as she says softly, "Well... it seems the compass works." Stating the obvious in a rather unhappy tone.


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP54/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Seeing Eretria move into the water, without hesitation and being quite impressed with the view and her attitude, Xavier offers aid like a gentleman, We could wait for the tide to go out a bit further, or I could carry you through, Miss Eretria.

Ask me too carry you. Ask me to carry you...

He Sheathes his Scimitar, which despite him being VERY quick on the draw, always seemed to be in his hand, and follows her into the water. If his offer is rebuffed, he'll move 10ft forward of her.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Pardon the second post so soon, only to respond to Xavier :)

Eretria looks back at Xavier, momentarily contemplating his offer. She severely disliked the water and was tempted to allow the swordsman to carry her but there was always the consideration of how the other men in the group may view her then. She did not wish to lose face in front of people who were still somewhat of strangers to her.

She finally smiles warmly at Xavier as she answers him, "I am thankful for the offer Xavier but a little water will not harm me."

She makes no complaint when Xavier chooses to walk ahead though.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Rashun does not even notice Xavier's attempt to curry favor with Eretria. Another thought crosses his mind.
"Why is she wearing those boots? They can't really be all that helpful when one has to move quickly in combat. I guess I will have to teach there that form over fashion is the way to go."


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP54/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Xavier moves ahead of Eretria and keeps his scimitar sheathed. He smiled to himself as he passed her to take point.
Well, at least I got a smile. I hope none of the others are interested that would be awkward when she chooses me. Shouldn't be a problem though. Sami would probably prefer a snake woman or something. Rashun barely says a word. I wonder if he's a eunich? Some church's do that if the boys can sing. I shall have to get him to sing and find out...


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami eyes the spindle with trepidation, wondering how such a small and unthreatening thing could be the rift. Seeing the others head towards it, he rushes to catch up. I'm certain that they know more of these things than I; it would be wise to follow their lead when dealing with these rifts and their properties.


Weakly Godlike Entity

At this point in the tide cycle the water only occasionally reaches the rift. It won't be long before the rising tide covers the bottom of the rift, though.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Here goes nothing.... Enter rift?

Whether or not anyone else does Eretria will.


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP54/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Caught unawares by Eretria's directness, Xavier rushes through to catch up.


Weakly Godlike Entity

The passage through the rift is startling in its ordinariness. It feels no different from walking through any other stretch of empty air.

As noted before, the beach on the other side looks almost identical to where you started from; the only obvious difference is the complete lack of visible ship traffic.


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP54/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Well, that was a let down. No spinning, wheeling, flying or anything. Are we sure it actually worked?


Weakly Godlike Entity

The absence of the rest of the party on the other side might be a clue, but this *is* Xavier we're talking about.

As Xavier and Eretria look around further, they both notice something out of the ordinary on the bluff face: letters a couple of feet high that look as though they've been burned into the stone, spelling out the message "COME TO LIGHTHOUSE RUIN."

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria looks around, smirking a bit at Xavier before walking out of the water. While she waits on the others to pass through she casts a simple cantrip to dry her clothing instantly(prestidigitation :D, by clothing I mean boots and whatever else got water splattered going through). "Let's wait for the others... but it seems someone is wanted at the lighthouse ruins...."


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Rashun enters the rift curious to see what is on the other side.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami calmly follows through; travel through rifts now, oddly, becoming commonplace. Seeing the sigh, he nods. Well, it's not as if we've many choices; shall we?


Weakly Godlike Entity

Another walk later, you round a point to where you should be able to see Cassomir. It's there--at least, part of it is. As far as you can tell from where you are, few of the buildings are still standing. The docks are in ruins, and there are several rough gaps visible in the breakwater. There are no ships at all in the harbor. The silence is broken only by the calling of gulls and the lapping of the waves against the empty shore.

The damage to the city is, if anything, more impressive the closer you get. The harbor is crowded with old wrecks, in most cases only their masts sticking up above water. From the building damage it looks like there was a major earthquake, and there are also signs of fire. Although you can't tell exactly how long ago it all happened, you figure it's been at least a couple of years.

The stretch of breakwater with what used to be the harbor light has been broken on either end, so it's essentially a very small island. There's what looks like a debris hut at its base, and a dinghy pulled up next to it.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria isn't surprised at the ruins as they were warned the city was in such a state, however she does pale significantly at the sight of the broken breakwater. Her tone one of disappointment,"Someone... Please tell me we do not have to go back out on the water."


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP54/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Looks that way. We could swim. The dingy not gonna do us much good on THAT side. Let's look around the wrecks for a small boat that still floats that we might paddle across.
Xavier seaches around till he finds something.
Perception1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

"Maybe all of us can fit."
Rashun then looks at the small boat trying to measure it up against everyone.

"If all us can't fit then some of us can go across and one of us can bring it back to get the last person."

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"Someone other then me then... I... Uh... Don't know how to swim." She mumbles softly, looking out at the water, she did not want to be out there again even for a short trip.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami helps Xavier search about for something else that could ferry them across, as he hides a grin at Eretria's obvious distress. Such a confident woman, but not afraid to admit her fears; even more telling - she's willing to confront them...admirable.. He eyes the spanse of water and nods resolutely.

I'm certain that I could swim across, if need be; I'm quite comfortable in the water.

perception1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31


Weakly Godlike Entity

Sami notices a long plank near the dinghy; at low tide, it would easily span the gap in the breakwater. As you're searching for another craft you could use, a sea eagle alights on the ruined tower with a cry. In response, an old man emerges from the hut and peers in your direction, muttering to himself. He calls out, "Oi! You lot here from th' rift? Come on over, I'll put up th' bridge soon's I've gotten a look at yer."


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

The half-orc looks around, waiting for a reply, but a sudden chill travels down his back as he sees no-one. Alone He knew better than to call out, his instincts for survival take over as he slinks into a shadow. His weapons at the ready, he takes stock. What next?


Weakly Godlike Entity

Ah, I knew I'd forgotten someone!

Darc:
Apologies in advance for being arbitrary in setting the scene; this isn't graven in stone yet, and if you have any thoughts about how to make it work better/more consistently with your character let me know.

When last we left the first party, they were on a rooftop with Luntz and there was someone in the street below. Darc, the first sign you have that things have gone pear-shaped is when a great opaque cloud of choking vapors materializes around you. You can't tell what happened to anyone else, but the sounds of your compatriots gagging and retching is an indication that they were caught in it too. Trying to find clean air, you stagger back from the edge of the roof; your situational awareness, even in your present sickened state, is good enough for you to avoid going over the edge. Unfortunately, it's not good enough for you to notice a hitherto-unsuspected weak spot in the roof. (Oh, sure, Luntz didn't notice it either, but he's scrawny; weighs a bit more than half what you do in armor.) You feel the floor give way beneath you and plummet into the ruined building. At some point you presumably come to rest, but a chance encounter between your head and a more solid bit of building had by that point rendered you unconscious.

Time passes. Eventually you wake up. It's mostly dark around you, but you can see lighter patches above you despite being mostly covered with debris. Ambrosius, Luntz' animal companion, is perched near you. As you begin to rouse, the sea eagle scrawks at you, pointing its beak over your left shoulder. You manage to extricate yourself from the wreckage, accompanied by more insistent eagle calls and pointing. Looking at where the eagle points, you see another pile of debris with a hand sticking out from under it. It's Luntz; he's stable, but badly wounded and well stuck.

Stopping to give you a chance to sound off and let me know what you'd like to do at this point.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami looks up warily, but sees no threat from the old man. We are, and we will come. He sets up the plank to span the gap, and gets as close to the old man as the breakwater allows.

I hope I'm understanding you right; we can use the plank to cross the gap, which will bring us closer the old man, then he'd drop a bridge to cover a larger gap...right?

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria tentatively edges closer to the water behind Sami, attempting to get a closer look at the old man across the way. She looks down at the water again with a slight gulp.

At least if I fell in I am quiet positive Xavier would dive in after me....

"...so uh... how deep is this water at low tide?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

No, the plank is also on his side, which might give you some idea of his views on security. You're able to get to just the other side of a gap from him with a bit of work, though.

As you're still a few hundred feet away you see him casting a spell, but there is no apparent effect. You come to the closest point to him and by then he's nodding in satisfaction. "Thought you was reet by the looks of yer." He starts to wrestle the plank around to where it'll bridge the gap. "Darc! Flyin' helmet whose name I allus forget! Company!"

Eretria, you can see the bottom, and it looks fairly close--on the order of a few feet.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria feels rather silly asking out loud as she sees the depth for herself, still... she is always paranoid of large bodies of water given her lack of ability to swim. She waits with the others until the old man has bridged the gap with the wooden plank before nervously crossing the plank(once it is in place).


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

KK:

Darc, bruised and injured curses under his breath, shakes the dust and debris from his hair and rubs his eyes to see better, leaving panda eyes on his face. He looks down at his body, it seems his body looks just like his every present wounded leg. His being looking white and red in the dim light, he wants to cough the rest of the dust from his lungs, but holds back, lest the sound attract unwelcome guests.

"Eagle bird, good." the half-orc speaks quietly to the companion, following its guidance to see the hand. Now, he takes an interest in his broken surroundings, in the noises of the world around him, seeking into the dark places with his sight for any unwelcome guests. When satisfied all is safe, he moves slowly in the shadows to the hand. Carefully he moves the debris trapping Luntz's body. He places his cheek over Luntz's mouth, to find the faintest breath, to find if life still fills this body. He picks out his wand of healing and uses it to push strength and vitality back into the broken man. "Quiet" is all the big man says.

Make any rolls you require from Darc.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Darc:
There are no other bodies down here. The only sounds you hear over your own labored breathing and Luntz' shallower breaths are occasional creaks as the ruins find a new equilibrium. Luntz coughs weakly and rouses. He whispers, "What--what happened? Where's everyone else?"

It is at this point that Besmarial descends through the opening you left in the roof. "Darc. Luntz. Come out; the danger is past, but at great cost."

Emerging from the building the first thing you see is a pair of mounds of black slime, rapidly melting away and running down into the cracks between paving stones (and incidentally killing the grass and weeds that's grown in the cracks). Near one of the mounds is Yeronimous' lifeless body, scarred with terrible bites, and a great deal of blood. The trail of blood continues around the other side of the building, where you find Briar's corpse under a collapsed wall. Finally, you see Charles locked in a fatal embrace with a figure in scale armor of peculiar design. The alchemist/ranger is still coated with frost in spots, the presumable result of some sort of magical attack, but his teeth are closed on the throat of the other figure.

Some oddities about the other figure: Its blood is black and tarry, its body is already beginning to decay, and although it superficially appears human it has a fringe of tentacles around its waist, what look like mouths in the palms of both hands, and an eye in the back of its head. Luntz shivers as he looks at it. "Like that other one I seen...never want to see 'nother one again."

Clearly, you're too depleted to continue to follow the large akata, so the two of you return to the lighthouse to recover. Besmarial announces, "I have reached Master Gallowsmith. Though I could only convey and receive the simplest of messages, he understood our plight and will send reinforcements. For now, let us wait while you regain your strength."

The next couple of days pass uneventfully. A few akata come out at night, but the large one is nowhere to be found. Finally, you're resting in the lighthouse when you hear Luntz talking to someone, ending with a cry of "Darc! Flyin' helmet whose name I allus forget! Company!"


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami crosses over behind Eretria, then stands at her side, facing the man. You seem to have been expecting us, but I'm afraid we don't know you. My name is Sami, sir. Who are you, and what do you know of the rift and our coming?


Weakly Godlike Entity

The old man cackles a bit. "Name's Luntz, an' I'm th' lighthouse-keeper hereabouts. Th' first lot of you came through here told me 'bout th' rift. Still not sure I believe it, though. Th' flyin' helmet said there'd be more o' you lot comin', soon's yer big boss got 'em together. An'--" He rubs his hands together. "--here y'be."


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Rashun continues to stay silent not sure what to make of Luntz.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP54/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

The wizard sent a Flying Helmet? It talks? Could we see it then? We need to find these others and get this mess sorted out.

'Why on Earth would the Wizard have sent a team of Adventurers, to be led by a Magic Helmet? No wonder the mission failed.'

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria raises an eyebrow at the mention of the helmet.

Either the old man is insane or perhaps something magically enchanted? Hmm.

"If they are ready for travel again then it is best we not waste too much time, I personally would like to hear the cause of failure and what they know so far so the same mistakes aren't repeated."


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami watches the interaction with interest, not wanting to confuse the man with further questions, as Eretria and Xavier, in his own way, have the pertinent ones covered.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Rashun:
There's no obvious evidence of duplicity in the man. He clearly doesn't entirely believe that you're from another Golarion, but he's not letting that stand in the way of helping you.

The old man snorts at Xavier's question. "Yep, it flies an' talks, but it weren't in charge. Kinda did what it wanted, but helped out th' ones like--well, not all like, iffin' y'know what I mean--you lot.

"Now, I can tell yer a bit 'bout what they knew 'fore Darc wakes up, but it'll take a few minutes."

The Tale of Luntz:
"Round about fifty-six years gone--I was a lad of five then, my Da an' Ma ran the light here--a star fell out o' the sky to earth, in th' north." He pauses, looking off into nothing as memories return. "I didn't see it fall, but I still 'member how it felt in my feet when the ground rose up an' broke the light. An' half the city. Then the sound...oh, gods, the sound. Like nothin' I ever heard before, an' I never want t'hear anything like it again. Right on its heels came the fire, a hot wind from th' north. Th' Verduran Forest burned to nothin', th' parts o' the city atop the bluffs were gone...th' bluffs sheltered us a bit, so we lived through it, but th' Sellen ran dry for days 'til th' rains came. Powerful thirsty, we were by then.

"Rescuers came from Absalom, from Qadira, from Cheliax. Places th'fire didn't reach. Da an' Ma, they figured the worst was over, see, an' we'd be able t'rebuild. Da would talk of how the new light would look, once people came back. But the akata changed all them plans. See, they die easy enough, reet? The others proved that easy enough; Darc an' his three mates killed a dozen without breakin' much of a sweat. But they bite you, an' sometimes y'catch th'void death. Y'start out feeling a mite weak, a mite clumsier 'n usual, then next thing y'know yer walkin'dead, an' soon after that a new akata hatches outta yer corpse. Took a while t'find out about that, an' by th' time folks did th' things were all over. An' th' winters after Starfall were powerful cold ones, an' the next couple o' harvests near to failed. So Cheliax pulled all their folks out, t'guard their borders--all it takes, see, is one akata gettin' through, an' they desperately needed every hand farmin' an' fishin'. Qadira did likewise, an' th' other places just wrote us off. Oh, they'd give passage t'any who wanted, but Da wouldn't leave. Said he was a keeper o'th' light first, last, an' always. Ma didn't see it that way, though....

"Anyhow, I stayed with Da, an' we did as much as we could t'keep some kind of light going here. Few years later, I got a step-ma for a time, when this druid came by an' stayed with Da. She taught me that craft, an' it's served me well over th' years. Th'akata tend not t'come out in daylight, an' seawater burns th'buggers something fierce. So I have some gardens in th' city, I dig around an' trade salvage with anyone comes by, an' I keep th' light. Da's buried under it now, but I think he helps, y'know? Took me years t'figger out how t'make everburnin' torches with druid magic, but I did. Don't know what's going t'happen once I'm gone, though.

"Oh, yeh...one other thing. The akata, they're not from here, so th'world...it doesn't like them much, y'might say. They're what step-ma called aberrations. So I'd put t'gether another little spell, lets me tell if anything like that's around. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion, hey? Couple o'years ago, I was headin' up to one o'th' gardens, an' I saw a man walkin' down th'street, like he owned th'place. But that spell, it told me he weren't nothin' human. So I shoved a cornice over on him, went down t'see what he was. His face looked normal, but the rest o'him under his clothes weren't. Eyes on his arms under his sleeves, an extra mouth on his stomach." He shudders. "Another one like that's what did fer Darc's mates, an' almost did fer me an' him. Thought they might've been sommat like that, at first, but they didn't show up on m'spell, an' neither did you.

"So that's my tale. I heard rumors that Cheliax was fightin' demons way up north, round th' other side o' where th' star fell. Folks say all kinds o' things about why it happened. In Absalom they call it Aroden's Sword, say it were his vengeance on whatever killed him. I don't know. All I know is that we must've gotten someone really, truly angry, an' I'd rather think that than that something like a falling star could happen fer no reason at all."

"As to what happened to Darc's three mates, well--"

It's at this point that he's interrupted by the return of, well, a flying helmet. It looks to be a piece of plate armor sized for a normal human, and it has feathered wings a brilliant white in hue growing out of the top of its earpieces. In a metallic voice, it says, "Greetings. I am Besmarial, temporarily allied with Prester Gallowsmith. I presume you are the ones he sent to deal with the Dark Road." None of you have ever seen anything like it before.

Dice rolls:
Knowledge (Religion) check for Rashun: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP54/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Xavier stands, awestruck by the appearence of the Flying Helmet. Truly it was an amazing thing and must have some magic. Perhaps it could make it's wearer fly?

Wow!

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"Okay so there are other things in this world that don't belong -and- you have a spell to detect them? I would very much like to learn this spell eventually." She turns to the helmet, "Yes, we were sent here."


Weakly Godlike Entity

Besmarial responds, "Good. There is much to be done. I am, however, not one of the higher orders, so the assistance I can offer is limited. I could not even save Yeronimous, Briar, and Charles when the aberrant oracle (or so I believe it to have been) attacked us in the city. I can describe for you what happened, though."

The Tale of Besmarial:
"After the group slew a large band of akata, one fled and returned with another, a much larger one. The large one appeared to be some sort of leader. It came out onto the breakwater and stayed across the gap you see there throughout the night, but left suddenly near morning. I had espied the area the fleeing akata had reached; I surmise that the large one was there, and the party was going to go there and slay it. Luntz requested that we stop at one of his rooftop gardens to reprovision. The party assented.

"While we were there a trio of creatures happened by. There was the aberrant oracle and two entities in the form of large wolves, though their seeming was not perfect. They noticed the party on the roof. The oracle conjured a stinking cloud effect which covered the roof and largely incapacitated the party; it was at this point that Darc somehow fell through the roof. The others made their way down to the ground to face the trio. They were at a disadvantage emerging from the cloud, though, and Yeronimous fell to them quickly. Briar and Charles dispatched the 'wolves,' though Charles was wounded by some sort of cold effect from the oracle. It retreated around the building, they pursued. I was using my limited abilities to damage the oracle; unfortunately, I was not able to warn Briar before part of the wall came down on him. Charles inflicted lethal wounds on the oracle but did not survive. I surmise its flesh was toxic to the alchemist and poisoned him when he bit it under the influence of his potent mutagens. Luntz or Darc might have saved him, had they not been trapped in the wreckage of the building. Darc was able to extricate himself and Luntz, and cure Luntz to the point where they were able to return here. Since then we have been waiting for you."


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami hears the tales, and watches what seems to truly be a flying helm advance upon him. All he can think is...I assumed that I was through with the oddest parts; seems I was wrong.. He addresses Besmarial, though he finds it quite difficult to speak directly to the disembodied helm.

What does the Dark Road have to do with these creatures, these aberrations? Did they come at the same time? Is ending the akata scourge what will help this world?

he then looks to Luntz. For you to have survived as long as you have with these creatures roaming about is incredible. You must know everything there is to know about these creatures. What is their motivation, their habits, their diet? I'm sorry, but we must know everything about these akata if we are to face them. How do they fight?.

Know one's enemy, and adapt your style to exploit their weakness. I must find out more.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

"Besmarial what manner of creature are you, and can you answer Sami's questions? "


Weakly Godlike Entity

Besmarial answers, "I am an angel of the Cassissian order, sent to serve Master Gallowsmith as best I can. When the star fell from the heavens and destroyed Kyonin and much of the surrounding lands, things came with the fallen star. That is how the akata came, but there were others. One of them created the Road; more have come that way since. Unfortunately, this world was one that my master did not study in detail, as its importance was small until but a few days past.

"The akata are merely an obstacle to reaching the terminus of the Dark Road. The first group elected to fight them here as a favor to Luntz, in return for his aid. Briar had been bitten by an akata and Luntz was using his spells to keep Briar alive long enough that his body would reject the embryonic akata on its own. Now, this other creature--the aberrant oracle--is more troubling."

While Besmarial speaks, Luntz seems to be mulling over Sami's question. "'Fore a couple o' days past, I'd thought I knew much about th' beasts, but I'd never seen anything like th' big one. Now, a few things I know 'bout them might help you: they eat pretty-much anything. They don't breathe, an' they don't give voice. But they flash--got little spots on 'em, light up all kinds o' colors, an' near as I can tell that's how they talk ter each other. Figure that's why they don't come out much daytimes, 'cause th' sunlight washes out th' colors. Like you stayin' away from a place where 'twas all noisy, reet? Never saw a fire'd hurt one, but normal steel bites on 'em just fine. Oh, yeah. Sea water burns 'em real good. Some nights they come down here an' sit across the gap, lookin' at me, an' low tides they're close enough I kin put a harpoon into one, drag it into th' water, an' that does fer it real quick.

"That's akatas in short. Aught else ye wanted ter ask?"

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"I asked a question and seems I was ignored... I was curious about duplicating the spell you use to identify them."
Eretria replies with a slight frown.

251 to 300 of 2,713 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's Through a Cracked Mirror: The Dark Road All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.