Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Carbide's Through a Cracked Mirror: The Dark Road (Inactive)

Game Master John Woodford

As the myriad potential Golarions collide, a small group of heroes is charged with setting things right.


1,451 to 1,500 of 2,713 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>
Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"Sounds good to me, It allows those of us who depend on spells to get all the rest we need." Eretria pipes up with a smile.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Besmarial doesn't sleep, and translates for Versey that he has some ability to perceive things without the need for light.

The rest of the day is quiet. At some point, though, Lum asks, "Not to pry or anything, but what are you people doing out here? I mean, I'm not complaining about you being here, but we don't get a lot of visitors, know what I mean?"

Dice rolls:
Miscellaneous roll E: 1d100 ⇒ 92
Miscellaneous roll W: 1d100 ⇒ 94
Miscellaneous roll A: 1d100 ⇒ 100
Miscellaneous roll E': 1d100 ⇒ 31
Miscellaneous roll E": 1d100 ⇒ 92

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"Saving the world of course." Eretria says with a bit of a grin, glancing out at the rain from the doorway.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc just issues one word in response to Lum, in a matter of fact tone, not challenging, just a fact. "Fight."

Darc is of average intelligence, but uses it mainly to fight.


Weakly Godlike Entity

The gnome doesn't dignify Eretria's response with any comment. He doesn't quite sneer at Darc (residual gratitude for being healed, likely). "There have to be easier places to find a fight."


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

"It seems like we keep running into things to fight. I prefer not to fight, but we do what we must to get rid of the evil in the world."


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami inclines his head to acknowledge Lum's point. True, but we fight out of necessity, not because we wish to. The easiest path is usually not the most rewarding, my friend; we do what we must to, as Rashun said, get rid of evil.


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP55/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Fighting is what I am best at. Might as well do some good with it.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc as the others talk, Darc resumes his position outside, a silent sentry watching the lands.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc as the others talk, Darc resumes his position outside, a silent sentry watching the lands.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


Weakly Godlike Entity

The party is undisturbed through the rest of the day. Around nightfall the rain stops and the clouds move out of the area, leaving a beautiful starry sky. Nothing troubles the night.

The next morning, the wind is out of the east, it's bright and warm, and in general it's a better day than just about any you've had since leaving Cassomir.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Just to be clear we are going after the "power source"?


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP55/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

I think so


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

I'm good with that.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami awakens even more curious than he was the night before. He eyes Versey and Lum, unsure if he could understand how the larger being may understand his question.

Versey was in a ship from...where, exactly? Beyond the skies? If we get to the power source for his ship - how will that help you get rid of the plants?

The question seems to be merely for the sake of slating his curiousity; he is still fully willing to help.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Lum chortles. "Ah, I never did tell you that. He's from Verces*--the story he gave was that his ship was out in the Diaspora** collecting stuff and they got hit by the falling star. They got from it before it hit us, but couldn't do more than land hard here. The survivors went to sleep, or something, to wait for rescue, but Versey woke up early."

*The fifth planet
**The asteroid belt


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP55/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Xavier continued to look lost. What the hells is Verces or Dias...dia..that other word you said? Oh, never mind. Just tell me when we are going and I'll get the camp together.

The fighter goes to watch outside. He didn't like problems he couldn't solve by hitting it.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria snickers softly, "Well we don't really know much beyond this place, but we will help if it means going north a bit easier as I said before." Eretria will go outside to console the fighter and maybe try to explain what they mean in more simpler terms for him.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami nods in contemplation, though he really had no idea whatthe gnome was talking about. Indeed, as my friend said - we will of course help; can we get underway today?


Weakly Godlike Entity

You have two options for going after the power source: first, you could travel over land, which has the virtue of being direct. Second, you could sail back down the Sellen to where the Dragonfly River flows into it, then sail west up the Dragonfly; this has the virtue of possibly being faster (the wind is out of the east today, and blowing strongly), and definitely being easier on everyone. Your choice?


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

If our boat is adequate to carry our new friends, I'd vote for the river route.


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP55/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

River.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

river


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

"Not the boat again" says Darc turning pale, "Can we travel overland?" he urges.

River's fine.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

River

"I'd rather the same if walking is an option at all."


Weakly Godlike Entity

Sorry about the delay; the aftermath of the con, catching up at work, and dealing with probably replacing my daughter's car have soaked up way too much time these past few days.

After a bit of discussion, the party sets out via the river. (The deciding piece of evidence was when Lum pointed out that the worst of the plants stayed out of the water.) Lum has some idea how to handle the boat, but Versey isn't terribly useful. He spends the time talking with Besmarial about what you're looking for, and what it's supposed to do.

Essentially (Besmarial eventually reports) Versey's ship was collecting specimens of various plants from little worlds. Some of those plants were ambulatory and quite dangerous, so the crew had a magical (or something) device that could call the hostile plants towards it from great distances and keep them tranquil. Because the plants were so dangerous, the device was not only powered by the ship, but it also had its own power source in case the ship's power failed. After the crash, ship's power mostly failed; there was just enough to put the crew to sleep, send out a call for help, and start to fix the ship. Versey doesn't know how it happened, but the power source was removed from the device soon after the crash and taken away. (The alien is sure that the power source is not very far from the ship, though.) The plants escaped and started to spread from the ship. Eventually, Versey's sleep box failed, and he woke up. He had no time to get anything from the wreckage, though, because the plants that were there came after him. He was able to outrun them and made it to the settlement.

Versey cautions you that the power source is quite dangerous to hold for any length of time. Besmarial has some trouble translating the concept; apparently, the power source shines with a light no one can see, that burns people up slowly from the inside. It's best to stay far away from it, and not touch it except in dire need. The control device holds it in a way that blocks the light, so it's safe once it's installed. (The control device is also quite large.)


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP55/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Once more, with a decision made and a course set, Xavier is in high spirits again. He passes the time quietly fishing, softly singing drinking songs and when the mood takes her, asking Eretria about magic. She could tell that Magic obviously fascinated and scared him. He was particularly interested in Magic that either boosted or stole your Will.
He'd already made plain his desire to get a wand of Protection from evil and was determined to learn to use them.

Survival: Provide food1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami merely shakes his head at the absurdity of it all. In his previous life, he was a farmer, a fighter, and little else. This talk of other planets, ships that fly above the sky, and control devices was talk that he would have immediately dismissed if not for what he had already seen firsthand. That, coupled with the fact that the story was translated through a flying helmet that he could confidently call a friend was enough to make him listen intently to Versey's story.

So...the plan is to break our way through the plantlife so that Versey can repair the device, correct? Does Versey know if there's any advantage we can use over the plants? I would think that they'd be particularly vulnerable to fire; is there anything else that could drive them away or confound them?


Weakly Godlike Entity

Sami, you recall that the assassin vine was resistant to fire.

Lum replies, "First thing is to get that source widget, then go for the ship. When Versey went to sleep, the control thingy was still working, so if we're lucky all it'll need is the source. Versey showed us how to brew up some weed killer stuff, and I still have a couple of flasks of it."

Splash weapon, inflicts 2d6 damage on primary plant target + 1d6 on targets in 5' range of primary. Non-plants make a DC 12 Fort save to avoid 1 point of nonlethal damage from contact with the weed killer.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

You have our thanks; this will help immensely. I'm not certain how many of these plants we'll face, but from what you said, we'll be far outnumbered. So...they're all slightly different, then? You mention that these are specimens from different worlds; is there some sort of controlling mind to them, or are they acting at random?

Don't wait for me...Sami's just killing time during the trip; none of the answers would in any way prohibit plant bashing, which sounds so non-green of us.


Weakly Godlike Entity

"Versey's got names for 'em, but I can't pronounce most of 'em. Far as any of us can tell, they're all independent actors. Don't know why so many went north, but the dwarves got it worse than we ever did."


Weakly Godlike Entity

It's late morning. With the wind out of the east-northeast, you've been trying to stay towards the middle of the river so you won't be blown into a snag or sandbar if a gust comes through. The river at this point is upwards of a quarter-mile across. Rashun is keeping an eye out for anything odd when he spots movement on the east bank, a bit over two hundred yards away.

There is something large and vaguely serpentine floating through the air over the scrub undergrowth. That doesn't begin to describe the disquieting way it moves--not the way it seems to swim through the air, but the quick and darting shifts in position that punctuate its progress. It's far enough away that you can't pick out much in the way of fine detail, and Eretria, Sami, and Darc in particular feel a twinge of something akin to the seugathi's effects on your minds.

It does not appear to be moving towards you at this point. What do you do?


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP55/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Xavier looks over at the thing and knows this river is not going to help matters should whatever the thing was turn hostile.
We should probably get of the water. On the OTHER side of the river perhaps?
Perception to get a better look at the thing1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Weakly Godlike Entity

At this distance Xavier is unable to resolve any further details.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

I want to see if I can find another way around it.

Taking 10..

Survival:17
Perception:26


Weakly Godlike Entity

Rashun, it's not in your way. You're sailing south down the Sellen, going with the current, preparing to turn west at the next tributary. It's on the east shore of the Sellen and doesn't seem to be moving in your direction.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

I say let it be but keep watch of where it is so it doesn't come up behind us.

"Let's avoid it if we can but keep watch so it doesn't catch us off our guard... may want to check the water as well."

Eretria is gonna... set up the chain on the boat so it can be stood in just in case... and then stand in it.


Weakly Godlike Entity

The creature continues its peculiar locomotion northwards, showing no sign of interest in the party, and unless anyone does anything it eventually moves out of sight.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc watches the western shore.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami watches as the creature passes by, thoughts of that darkness invading his mind once again forcing him to clench his hands into fists and narrow his eyes in anger. He gives a satisfied nod as it leaves his field of vision.

Perhaps whatever that was doesn't like water; we can only hope. Lum, have you or Versey ever seen anything like that?


Weakly Godlike Entity

Versey's never heard of anything like that. Lum ponders a moment, looking in the direction it was last seen. "Never seen nothing like it before...might've heard of it, though. This one human showed up at the camp oh, twenty or thirty years ago, babbling about flying worms. He was in a bad way. The few priests we had were good enough to fix his body, but he never really got better. All it took was seeing something flying and he'd either curl up in a ball and gibber or run around frothing at the mouth."

Dice rolls:
Knowledge (appropriate) check for Versey: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Knowledge (appropriate) check for Lum: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

"I say we avoid it. I don't want any unnecessary fights."


Weakly Godlike Entity

"Thought you lot came up looking for fights...hmph."


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami nods solemnly, remembering the effects that the Seugathi had on his own mind. I agree - we should avoid it; we came here for fights of a more specific purpose, and to a specific end result. We can't lose time trying to chase down one of those creatures; besides - who knows how many are out there?


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP55/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Xavier can hardly keep the smugness out of his voice, SMART Warriors pick their fights. Not rush headlong into battle against a foe they know nothing about.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

"Versey you missed my earlier proclamation about trying to avoid fights it seems. Don't let it bother you though. We seem to attract trouble. You stay with us long enough, and you will find yourself in a fight."


Weakly Godlike Entity

That was Lum talking...or rather, muttering.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Between sailing south with the current to where the Sellen is joined by the Dragonfly and running before the wind up the Dragonfly, the party covers a lot of ground before twilight approaches. It's around this point, as the light is fading, that you see a ruined jetty on the south shore of the Dragonfly.


Male Human Warpriest 6, AC20/T10/FF20+1 if using Shield, HP55/55, F9/R4/W10, CMB+8/CMD+18

Xavier notes the jetty.
Anybody keen to camp on dry land? I may be able to shoot us something different from fish, for a change.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami eyes the jetty, and then the shore around it, searching for any potential opposition.
Perception1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

He casts a sideways glance at Lum. Does this seem like the right path?

1,451 to 1,500 of 2,713 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's Through a Cracked Mirror: The Dark Road All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.