Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Carbide's Through a Cracked Mirror: The Dark Road (Inactive)

Game Master John Woodford

As the myriad potential Golarions collide, a small group of heroes is charged with setting things right.


1,001 to 1,050 of 2,713 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>

Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami unsuccessfully tries to focus his thoughts, but the thick mists of the creature's aura allow no controlled thoughts through.

Dang...Sami will be back someday!


Weakly Godlike Entity

Round 10:

Initiative order:
Big ugly-done
Sami
Eretria
Xavier (unconscious)
Darc-done
Rashun (unconscious)
Besmarial

To no one's surprise, Darc slips into fugue from his fatigued state. Sami pulls himself together and is able to act normally this round, although even the creature's departure from the area has not lifted the pall from his mind.

It continues to flee. Eretria, make a Perception check to track it well enough to target it.

Dice rolls:
Insanity effect on Darc: 1d100 - 15 ⇒ (64) - 15 = 49
Insanity effect on Sami: 1d100 - 15 ⇒ (39) - 15 = 24
Stealth check: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31
Besmarial Perception check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria, frustrated that the creature continues to retreat continues after it trying to target it for one last hit.

Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Magic Missile?:2d4 + 2 ⇒ (2, 2) + 2 = 6


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

If we're still in rounds, Round 11 actions
Darc slowly wanders to the injured fighter, he leans down and calls out in his native tongue before touching the fighter on his head.

Cure Light Wounds 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 on Xavier


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

Gahh!
Xavier draws in a deep breath, and immediately rues doing so seeing the half orc, not Eretria over him.
You're not Eretria....Rashun? Is he alive?

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Next Xavier learns Eretria chased after it >_>


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

Really? I thought you were making perception checks and firing at it from range.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Uh no I am following after too but its forest and I still need line of sight to cast magic missile at it.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Round 10 (final):

Eretria, you can no longer see the seugathi, so you don't burn the spell. Besmarial is flying high enough to be out of range of the creature's wand of magic missile, and despite his superior vantage point also loses sight of the thing. Unless Sami has an idea I'll increment the round.

In the absence of anyone's efforts to the contrary, Darc cannot cast his spell on Round 11; along with Sami, he is trying to drive the recurrent whispers out of his head by hitting himself. Darc, take 6 HP; Sami, take 11. Ouch. However, if Darc is still up he can act normally on Round 12; Sami slips back into fugue, though.

On Round 13, Sami remains in fugue, unable to act, while the whispers in Darc's head again drive him to strike himself. Take another 6 HP, Darc.

On Round 14, Darc can act normally, and Sami has finally shaken the creature's influence. (You feel somehow fragile, though, as though the experience has shaken your mental discipline in a fundamental way; you're holding yourself together by dint of thinking about anything but the seugathi, and you fear that until you're healed you'll be vulnerable to its aura of madness.)

On Round 15, Darc pulls himself together to the point where he can function normally all the time. See the note to Sami above for concerns about your present state, though.

Dice rolls:
Round 11:

Insanity effect on Darc: 1d100 - 20 ⇒ (84) - 20 = 64
Insanity effect on Sami: 1d100 - 20 ⇒ (73) - 20 = 53
Damage to Darc: 1d8 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 - 2 = 6
Damage to Sami: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Round 12:

Insanity effect on Darc: 1d100 - 25 ⇒ (37) - 25 = 12
Insanity effect on Sami: 1d100 - 25 ⇒ (69) - 25 = 44

Round 13:

Insanity effect on Darc: 1d100 - 30 ⇒ (93) - 30 = 63
Insanity effect on Sami: 1d100 - 30 ⇒ (60) - 30 = 30
Damage to Darc: 1d8 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 - 2 = 6

Round 14:

Insanity effect on Darc: 1d100 - 35 ⇒ (45) - 35 = 10
Insanity effect on Sami: 1d100 - 35 ⇒ (2) - 35 = -33

Round 15:

Insanity effect on Darc: 1d100 - 40 ⇒ (9) - 40 = -31


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

I'll just take it that Darc healed me once regaining his senses.

Xavier stands bloodied, bruised and with a rather large dent in his pride.
Standing but favoring his leg he has returned to his normal size.
Never have I faced a monster of the like. Is everyone ok? We need to gather our strength and follow it. But we should do so from a distance. We need to heal and we need bows and favorable terrain and to protect our minds. I'll not be stopped by this... I swear to Imodae the damn thing seemed to recover faster than we could kill it. It only feared Una's fire.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"Whose Una?"


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

Sorry got mixed with a char in another game. Should have posted Eretria.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc is still up and functioning...down to 12 HPs..

With Xavier conscious, Darc turns his attention to Rashun going through the same procedure as with Xavier, calling to the gods for their favor.

Cast Cure Light on Rashun 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 oops, for incorrectness for previous CLW, gave you back 1 too many.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Rashsun regains consciousness.
"I guess since I don't see it, that it got away. That was not fun at all. What do you think we should do now?"


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

"Let us work on a plan, the creature, if it returns, will have rested and be healed again, its powers restored." says Darc to Rashun.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Besmarial flies back to the party. "It baffles me how something so big can hide so well. It is too dangerous for me to get close enough to it to sense its evil, unfortunately. I suggest returning to the island and asking if they have any missile weapons, or I could fly back quickly and make the request."


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

Yes. They pointed us in the direction once and.could do so again. How will a helmet carry bows? I'm sure the spiders will have picked some spoils of adventurers trying to slay the spider king but won't you need help getting it back here?


Weakly Godlike Entity

"I would not be able to, no. Perhaps the spiders will move it themselves. In any case, I can return to the island faster than you and determine if they have any you can use, so you will not waste a trip."

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria "Well we can't do it again with me being the only option for range but we -could- have everyone prepared with ranged attacks for an ambush with this chain then set up caltrops to slow its retreat this time around... in fact...." She reaches in her pack and pulls out a bag, "I just happen to have some caltrops on hand."


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

Which means we still need bows, GOOD ones. I guess that spider thing would help since it fears it and needs us to kill it. Sure, Besmaril, fly off and see if it or the old woman have bows or magic or something to help. I could fight it in melee but cannot take the constant.assaults on my mind. Plus we're all hurt. So we need to heal and rest ouselves. I swear Eretria is our best weapon against the thing. You were fantastic, milady, I shall try to learn some of your craft.

Not planning on going Sorc. But Xavier will start pumping UMD.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria smiles at Xavier, "I actually have a decent crossbow on hand....but my magic is more effective... its more of a last resort item for me."


Weakly Godlike Entity

Besmarial again rises into the air, wings flapping gracefully, and flies off in the direction of the island. Time passes. BTW, are you staying where you had the fight?

Xavier, you're leaning against a tree trying to relax when something pokes you in the back from inside the tree. This is surprising enough that you turn around to look at your leaning post in time to see that what poked you was Simbala's walking stick coming out the tree...immediately followed by the old druid herself, carrying a wrapped bundle. Besmarial follows her out of the tree. She chuckles. "I'm sorry, young man. Didn't realize you'd be where I was coming out." (She doesn't sound that sorry.) Her chuckle turns into a coughing fit, though, and she leans heavily on her stick, clutching at her chest with her other hand. The bundle drops to the ground, where it lands with a clatter. "There's a reason...I don't...use much magic any more. Oh, if that creature...had dared to show its face around here...when I was younger, I would have...sent it...back to its masters in pieces." She manages to catch her breath, although her color is still not very good. "Sadly, all I could find were a pair of well-made composite longbows and some arrows. With the maker guarding the island, we usually have no need of such things."


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

Dear lady, you have done us a wonderful service this day. Much as it shames me to admit that same aura your Spider King fears was the very thing that prevented us from destroying it. We must have gotten close though since it fled from it's wounds. Fighting it hand to hand would be by preffered option as I am a Melee warrior, but alas, closing with it sent us mad and we almost killed each other. We have no cleric with us that can guard our minds and so we rely on your charity for the bows. I thank you.

Being a Gentleman, Xavier aids the old woman to a nearby log to rest.
He examimes the bows, Well made? Masterwork? What is the Str ratings? How many arrows?


Weakly Godlike Entity

mw, STR 12, 30 arrows total. (She mentions in passing that these were the only usable arrows; the rest had lost fletchings or nocks, gotten warped or dry-rotted, and/or had rusted heads.)

"Thank you, young man. You're too kind to an old woman."


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

You..can talk...to the forest thing can't you? Will it lead us to the creature again if we take a night to recover our wounds? Better yet can it tell us where it's going? It said it was headed back to the place we met the spider king didn't it? I only ask so we may perhaps.get in front and draw it to ground of our choosing. Simply attacking it in the open nearly cost us our lives, we should not do so again.

He looks to the others for ideas. All this thinking was hard but he was not stupid enough to repeat such blatant combat errorsagain.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

I will stay if the party stays. I really have no preference. I just want my hp back. As for the bow I would need one. I can't believe I forgot to get one, as much as I harp on players in real life about not getting ranged weapons.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

I covered all my bases >_> I even have a few side tricks to make up for SOME spells I don't have. :P Just don't have aoe's but that was sort of intentional as Eretria is meant to specialize in ray spells.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami shakes his head at the offered bow, patting a sling tucked into his sash. My thanks, but I fear I would not be skilled with such a weapon, having never fired one before. I used this sling to bring down larger animals that had wandered onto our farms so that they could be taken to the edge of our lands and let loose. While it may be no more than a nuisance to the beast, at least I'll be able to hit it. I'd have used it before had I not attacked.... He looks at Darc, ashamed.

Sorry everyone; was at the beach and internet was spotty; back now


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

Waiting on a response from the old woman about terrain

Right so it's a bow for me and Rashun. Spells from Eretria, Sammy's sling and Darc has that fine crossbow. I'm open to ideas but I think we should Lure it into a dead end where it can't easily escape. We then plug ourselves in the gap and hammer it with Arro...no. Then it would just charge us and we'd all go crazy....OK, how about we surround it from all sides but spread out and shooting. That way it could only charge 1 at a time while we keep shooting. I'm sorry, I'm not very good with this...

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"We use the chain to conceal ourselves... Someone needs to draw its attention, so somone has to confront it head on. We also should use my caltrops to hinder its retreat. I can begin with and enfeebling spell to help against it as well. The idea here should be to ensure it cannot retreat with minimal damage to ourselves.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami nods slowly, showing confidence in the plan. I can move quite quickly if I need to; if the beast will follow me, I can lead it into a crossfire of sorts. If it doesn't stop under your missile attack, then I'll turn to face it. Those words do seem to bring a bit of unease to the monk's expressive, reptilian face. At least I will be no harm to others if I'm far away from you if the beast takes control of my mind.


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

Xavier looks at his friend with so much pride.
You might be best to hold it's attention. You have the strongest mind of us all. Perhaps Darc or Rashun have a spell to shield it further. Eretria, can we all fit inside the chain? If we can use sami to draw it into the dead end, one of us could rush out behind it and scatter caltrops to slow it fleeing, and if neccessary engage it if in melee ifit tries to run.
The chain should be off to the side, up high if possible to keep you safe. I volunteer to block the retreat.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

"I do have a spell I can use to help Sami avoid the creature's magic, and physical attacks. The duration is only for a few minutes though so it is better if I cast it right before Sami engages it. "


Weakly Godlike Entity

Sami, at the thought of confronting the thing again it takes all your mental discipline to keep your mind focused. By the book, failing 5 saves in a row leaves a character with permanent insanity, or a continuous confusion effect. I ameliorated that somewhat, but what you and Darc (and Eretria) have is instead a vulnerability to the creature's aura--if you enter it again, it will affect you with no save, and the effect will persist for some time after you leave its aura. Eretria didn't have the persistent effect this time because she left the aura before the end of the fifth round of exposure. The mental damage can be healed with a restoration spell.

Simbala replies to Xavier, "I can speak to the maker. I like your plan, too, but I don't know if there's a place nearby where you can corner it. The maker will know. Though there are places like that on the island, I don't think the maker wants it anywhere near Everway."

She hobbles over to the edge of the clearing and leans one hand against a tree. A number of spiders crawl out onto her hand as she makes what sound like random clicking sounds, twitching her head back and forth, and occasionally lifting one or more fingers. After a time the spiders crawl off her hand and she slowly walks back to the party. "The maker knows of a place like that. It's a ravine, almost completely blocked at the south end by a landslide before it reaches the river. Will that work for you?"

Dice rolls:
Best terrain possible in the area: 1d100 ⇒ 95


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

I am afraid we have no choice maam. We CAN defeat the thing, but will need every advantage to make that possible. Twas only the fates that saved us the first time. I know it's closer that the Spider king wanted but unless the gods deliver us the power to simply smote the creature this is the only way.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"I think Xavier should confront the thing head on he was the first to notice and resist whatever it was doing to us and Sami can use my crossbow... at least I believe he should be able to, I won't need it with my own spells. I will give Xavier my caltrops that he might throw them out at first sign of its retreat... do the rest of you agree with this?"


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc, who still seems to be confused by the fight and his head hangs low, knowing that he has somehow dishonored the gods. His mind clouded, he is unable to shake the feeling of fear and doom that has let him live, whilst the creature still breathes. To Rashun he speaks, "I spells, might protect mind, fear and blackness despair. It small protection from evil creature, protect minutes. I use crossbow, flail better." he ends as if it will explain how useful he can be in the coming fight.


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

Xavier looks at Eretria, not sure if he takes her meaning. I may not be fast enough to run it into the net. Perhaps Sami canlead it to me at a run. As soon as I see it, I could start shooting to get it's attention while Sammy breaks off to the tees. If the thing, falls for it and runs into the trap, I will fight it to the death with the wall at my back, even confused I will battle it with no other targets. Sami should scatter the caltrops 40 ft behind it. All of you keep shooting until it falls. Everybody happy with that? If so and if the spider king cam help us track the thing we should rest before hunting it. I would meet it at our best.

Xavier didn't mind putting his life on the line, but was deeply hurt at Eretria's suggestion to modify the plan. Sami had easily the strongest will and was a great combatant in close but pretty poor with a real ranged weapon. Had all his advances and attention been so misplaced for her to value his life so little?

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria frowns, "I don't even think Sami could keep ahead of it Xavier, you were the only one... even over myself who resisted the aura... For that matter it technically got the drop on us so whats to stop it from attempting so again...." She pauses, glancing over to the druid. "Actually... did the spider happen to mention if it favored any specific food in the area? We could potentially lure it at no cost to ourselves on the running."


Weakly Godlike Entity

Silmara shakes her head. "It ate anything it could catch. It seems too clever to be enticed by a simple bait, in any case."


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

"Who bait, don't care." Darc answers showing no real interest. "Darc strike, better prepared" yet his eyes glaze over again as his thoughts turn inward once more. He surfaces at random intervals, "Like Eretria battle."......"Darc crossbow, if must?"...."make fire, make noise, it come?"


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

Depends on the bait I guess. Being Harrassed by a speedy monk, then me hopefully would make it angry. If it won't take the bait, we could simply surround it in a great big circle and shoot it, but that wouldn't stop it from fleeing.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

"I like the circle idea."


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami looks to Silmara, wincing as if in pain as he puts a hand to his temple. Do you, or the maker have any magic that may counteract the aura that emenates from that foul beast? I fear that, should I get in its path again, it wll use a foothold that it already has within my mind to better affect me.

His look at Xavier shows frustration and shame. I'm sorry, my friend; I'm trying to clear my mind of the "feel" of the creature, but there are some remnants that I can't seem to purge.


Male Human (Focused Study alt trait) Wild Stalker 1, AC18/T12/FF 16, HP 12/12, F4/R4/W2+2 vs mind effecting

In that case we have 2 plans. We find it and if terrain suits, you conceal yourselves while I shoot it to draw it to me and then I fight it while you all shoot it and someone drops caltrops so it cannot escape. If terrain doesn't favor that we surround it as far away as our vision and weapons allow and shoot it. It will likely either charge one of us or flee. I don't like that option since it may attack Eretria- her spells will do more damage than bows and it would likely go after her if it's smart. We have a strategy, now we find a place to rest and use what rescourceswe have to heal our wounds. We attack it at full strength.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc quivers at the words Xavier speaks, yet he regains control and nods agreement, "We surround."


Weakly Godlike Entity

Silmara shakes her head at Sami's question. "I don't think so. That sounds like priest magic, and we have none of them here since old Tanger died last year. He followed Gozreh, so we all got on fine. Maybe a lesser restoration would help a little. That's something I can do, if you give me a few minutes to make ready."

Dice rolls:
Knowledge (Religion) check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Item quality: 1d100 ⇒ 46

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"I can stand in the chains so its less able to spot me. It will also give everyone a place to retreat to even if temporary."


Weakly Godlike Entity

I am compelled to remind you all that Eretria's scorching ray has a 35' range.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

I know, and the aura range is 20ft if I remember... I'd have to page back to look.

1,001 to 1,050 of 2,713 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's Through a Cracked Mirror: The Dark Road All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.