Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Carbide's Through a Cracked Mirror: The Dark Road (Inactive)

Game Master John Woodford

As the myriad potential Golarions collide, a small group of heroes is charged with setting things right.


1 to 50 of 2,713 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Weakly Godlike Entity

Gallowsmith's image has almost subsided back into the mosaic when it returns rapidly to solidity, staring off into space. "Ah! The pattern shifts! There is...yes, I see now. A conjunction approaches, and a single world assumes a more immediate importance. Zeldones, remain here with me; I require your astronomical knowledge. The rest of you, follow Besmarial. He will guide you to the world I shall now show you."

As before, the mosaic swirls and reassembles as a picture, this time showing an island in the midst of a vast oval lake, surrounded by scorched and blasted rock. It is night. There is a circle of stones on the island, and from the center of the circle a faint line reaches skyward; the line is a black so intense it stands out against the night sky.

Gallowsmith's voice comes from all around you. "This is the Dark Road, a tangle in the fabric of reality that, when combined with the rest of what is happening, threatens to tear all apart if it is not destroyed. Break the terminus before the Road is strengthened by the conjunction. Again, fare you well." With that, the mosaic swirls and becomes only tessellated stone again.

A metallic voice comes from the winged helmet. "The island you saw is in what was, in that world, once the center of the forests of Kyonin. There is a rift that will take you to that world from here on Kortos, and I know of two other rifts to there--one from the sea off Almas, and one from the Taldan coast near Cassomir. Which way do you choose? Prester can provide you with a boat."


Male Tiefling Magus 4 (Bladebound Kensai)

Briar nods once as the mosaic vanishes, and looks at the Helmet Archon. "Was that line we saw...if we follow it, will we find the device we have to destroy?"


Human Skirnir 4

It looks that way to me. What way do you suggest, Besmarial? What are the perils we may encounter on either way?


Male Half-Elf Fighter (Two-Handed) 1

Charles frowns.

"If there is a means of reaching it here on the Isle of Kortos, surely it would be best to head for that one? The sooner we get there, the better. Unless, of course, there is a reason to prefer one of the other routes?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

Man, I'd better improve at the expository lumps, or this is going to take a while. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the rifts open to their analogous locations in the other world. You're going to have to cover the physical distance from Absalom to Kyonin in either Prime or the alternate; the rifts give you a choice of where you make the jump.

The helmet turns towards Briar. "The maker of the Road is on the island and sustains the Road at its end; slay it, and the Road will vanish.

"In that place a star fell from the heavens and destroyed Kyonin and much of the surrounding lands. Things came with the fallen star, and one of them created the Road; more have come that way since. Unfortunately, this world was one that my master did not study in detail, as its importance was small until but a few moments past."


Male Tiefling Magus 4 (Bladebound Kensai)

Briar frowns as he considers the options they have. "I confess that I don't know which way would be best. My studies were of the Planes and the Arcane, not Geography. Anyone have any ideas?"

Briar really has no idea which way to go. So, if someone has a preference...


Male Half-Elf Fighter (Two-Handed) 1

Charles smiles faintly.

"I have spent some time traveling. I would suggest that we take the rift that is closest to our destination; I would prefer to spend the least amount of time possible traveling in that other world - at least we know this one."

Knowledge(Geography): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26.

Basically, I am suggesting that we travel, in this world, to the rift closest to Kyonin, and then insert into the other reality via there.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

A large protective hand reaches to a friends shoulder, "Beecroft Charles Beecroft speaks good." The hand falls back to his flail as he starts to move his legs, as though warming them up for the journey ahead.


Weakly Godlike Entity

The helmet archon makes a noise rather like a gong, and a middle-aged halfling man in livery joins you. He produces a piece of parchment and hands it to Charles. "Take this to Captain Patterson, at the Sea Nymph. She's in the third octant of the dock district; Captain Patterson will take you where'er you ask, an' he can." The halfling coughs delicately. "As long as ye don't ask to sail into the Eye, or other such nonsense."


Weakly Godlike Entity

The party makes its way to the docks and locates the Sea Nymph, a rakish sloop. Captain Patterson, a Taldan, glances at your message and snorts. "Here, he actually wants us to do some sailing, 'stead of sitting dockside ready to go for weeks on end. Get aboard; we leave in the hour." He turns and starts shouting orders (phrased more like requests, for some reason) at the crew of four.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc eyes the sloop suspiciously, looking down on the captain, turning to his companions he says, "No like boats." As he boards, he does so taking pigeon steps up the gangplank, his knuckles tightly grasping the rope as he steps on board. He looks around for somewhere to place himself, "Where safe?" He is nervous and unsteady on his feet, despite the ship rocking only slightly.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Darc, a halfling limps by you and scrambles up the rigging. "Up here's safest, fer y'can see what be comin' fer ye!" One of the other crew members, a thuggish-looking half-orc (as if there's any other kind :-)) chuckles at this.


Weakly Godlike Entity

With the exception of Darc's distress, the crossing is generally uneventful. The craft is, as promised by her lines, speedy and maneuverable, and her crew (the three you've seen, plus a Tian and a taciturn and thoroughly creepy human of uncertain nationality) is competent. Once docked at Cassomir, the flying helmet guides you to a relatively isolated stretch of beach to the east of the city.

Ahead of you is a roughly spindle-shaped opening in the air, around nine feet tall and three feet wide at its widest point. It's hard to see at first, because the terrain on the other side looks very similar to what's on this side. Currently the tide is out; it looks like the base of the rift will be under water when the tide's in. "This rift opened some time ago, but only grew large enough to pass man-sized creatures two days past."

I'm assuming a marching order, such as it is, of Darc and Charles in the front, Briar and Yeronimous in the back, and the Cassissian in the middle. Charles, you're taking a look at the sand around the rift and you notice a disturbance that might be tracks of some sort. You're bending over to look at them when Briar is attacked from behind. Briar, it feels like something bit you and hit you very hard with a club. Take 8 points and make a DC 12 Fort save.

Surprise round: Done!

Round 1:

Initiative order:
Briar
Creature
Charles
Helmet
Darc
Yeronimous

Dice rolls:
Party Perception check: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Opposition Stealth check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

Briar initiative roll: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
Charles initiative roll: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Darc initiative roll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Yeronimous initiative roll: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Opposition initiative roll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Opposition attack roll (b): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Opposition attack roll (t): 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (15) - 3 = 12
Opposition attack roll (t): 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (11) - 3 = 8
Damage: 1d6 + 1 + 1d3 ⇒ (6) + 1 + (1) = 8


Human Skirnir 4

Trying to understand what it's happening and what's attacking them, Yeronimous draws shield and weapon, and utters a magic formula. Moments later, his whole body is sorrounded by static electricity.

Using arcane bond to cast defensive shock. Any creature striking me with its body or a handheld weapon takes 2d6 points of electricity damage, no save.


Male Tiefling Magus 4 (Bladebound Kensai)

Briar stares forth into the rift as he looks around the beach, wondering what is on the other side. However, the bite and the club to the back of the head catches Briar off-guard, before he can react.

Fort Save:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Not sure if I get an action after I failed that Fort Save.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Re the Fort save, nothing apparently happens--Briar is able to act normally at his initiative on Round 1.


Male Tiefling Magus 4 (Bladebound Kensai)

Ok.

Briar stumbles forward, drawing Mareth from her sheath. He turns and looks, calling out the words that form a shield of Force around him.

Casting Selected Force Shield on myself after a five foot step to (hopefully) get out of reach.

Briar then looks around, hoping to find whatever that clubbed him...or bit him, for that matter.

Perception Check:1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 2 = 16


Weakly Godlike Entity

Briar, the creature behind you is a blue quadruped about four feet high at the shoulder, with a mane of small tentacles around its head and two larger ones emerging from somewhere between where its ears should be and its shoulders. It has two large eyes, and its mouth has sharp ridges instead of teeth. It moves nearly silently; with that Perception roll you notice, in fact, that it doesn't appear to be breathing. Map is HERE.


Male Tiefling Magus 4 (Bladebound Kensai)

Note: I should be moved 5 feet back from the creature (putting me adjacent to Darc.

This thing looks like it might be from a different plane. Is knowledge planes appropriate?


Weakly Godlike Entity

Map updated at the original link. Knowledge (Planes) check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

Briar:
It doesn't look like any of the extraplanar creatures you can immediately call to mind.


Weakly Godlike Entity

I have a favor to ask--when you post about actions in melee, please include a status block like this on your first post of the round:

Round x:

Status:

HP: n/m AC: i Conditions: None

Briar, at its action the creature advances on you and attacks again, biting at you and attempting to strike you with the largest of its two tentacles, using them like heavy whips. You easily dodge all of the attacks. As it closes with Briar, by the way, you all notice that it has spots on its body and the two larger tentacles that flash different colors. The flashing has no apparent effect.

Dice rolls:
Bite attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Tentacle attack: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (4) - 3 = 1
Tentacle attack: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (17) - 3 = 14


Male Half-Elf Fighter (Two-Handed) 1

Round 1:

29/29 hp, AC 19/11/18, CMD 19.

Charles draws a massive curved blade from a sheath on his back, and moves forward to take a swing at the strange beast...

15' South, and 5' West of his current position.

MW Cold Iron Nodachi: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18, for 1d10 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 P/S damage.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Round 1:

Charles lands a solid hit on the creature, but it's still up and fighting. Right after the thing was wounded, all of the spots on its body flared a bright shade of yellow-green before returning to the previous apparently-random flashing.

The flying helmet rises further into the air and emits a stream of fire onto the creature, to no apparent effect.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Round 1:

Status:
HP: 38/38 AC: 21/11/20 Conditions: None

Darc turns round, hearing the battle behind, he licks his lips and shouts Death!, whilst grasping the flail grip in his palm and swinging it above his head. He moves to gain an advantageous position opposite Charles, before bringing the metal head crashing towards the creature.

Attack Flail 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 8 + 2 = 24 includes flanking.
Damage Flail 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20
Darc Jonash wrote:


Attack Flail 1d20+8+2 includes flanking.
Damage Flail 1d8+4

Flail is Flail +1, just in case it makes any difference.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Darc brings his flail crashing down on the silent beast's head. Its spots flash the same green as before, but as the thing collapses to the ground the light fades away to nothing. A couple of tentacle tips twitch, then it's still.

We're off melee time. What next?


Human Skirnir 4

What is this thing? Yeronimous studies the creature, weapon still in hand in case it's not dead yet.
Knowledge: Arcana check, this looks like some sort of magical beast.
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17


Male Tiefling Magus 4 (Bladebound Kensai)

"Its not something from another plane...though I did notice that it wasn't breathing. And..." Briar reaches back with his free hand to where it hit him. "I think it bit me?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

There is, indeed, blood on its muzzle and a matching wound on Briar's back. Yeronimous, it isn't any sort of magical beast with which you're familiar.


Male Half-Elf Fighter (Two-Handed) 1

Charles shrugs.

"Well, it was certainly more than a little bizarre, but I dare say we will see more than our fair share of unusual beasts before this is all over; shall we venture through the portal?"


Human Skirnir 4

Yes, but everyone be ready for the worst. Yeronimous walks towards the portal, hammer and shield in hand.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc prods the dead creature with his foot, making sure it really is dead before putting his flail away, still dripping the creatures broken gore on the floor. "Dead....good". He moves the tentacles and studies the beast. Knowledge(nature) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

He nods at Yeronimous, looking pointedly at the portal. Wiping his flail, he moves with the others, flail at the ready.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Despite the creature's superficial similarity to a lion (four legs, mane, facial structure), it is clear to Darc that it isn't related to any animal he's ever seen.

The party passes through the rift. There is no odd sensation as you go from one side to the other; for all the novelty of the doorway, it feels like going through any other door. The other side even looks pretty-much the same as you go through. Charles, you have a good idea of how to get to Kyonin from here--at least, which roads you'd take.

Dice rolls:
Party Perception check: 1d20 ⇒ 6
Charles Knowledge (Geography) check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Male Half-Elf Fighter (Two-Handed) 1

Although it looks no different to what he would expect in his own world, a shiver goes up Charles' spine.

I am actually on another Golarion! I wonder what marvels the future holds... and what nighmares...

Turning to the others, he comments:

"Well then, shall we be off? As far as I can tell, the roads look the same, so it should be fairly easy to get to Kyonin..."

He then sheds a radiant smile in Darc's direction.

"By the way, you can just call me Charles; it is a little easier to say in the heat of combat, and far less formal!"


Male Tiefling Magus 4 (Bladebound Kensai)

Briar smiles as he resists the urge to itch at the wound at the back of his head. He does keep his mouth shut and Mareth our as he looks around for more of the weird blue lion things. Get ambushed once in a day: Good on you. Get ambushed twice in one day: I should of stayed in bed today.

Perception Check:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Oh, this character is just asking to get ambushed at this point.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Rather than try to climb up the bluffs, you walk up the beach towards Cassomir. There's very little ship traffic visible from where you are, which is a bit odd. The oddness quotient increases markedly, though, when you round a point to where you should be able to see the city. It's there--at least, part of it is. As far as you can tell from where you are, few of the buildings are still standing. The docks are in ruins, and there are several rough gaps visible in the breakwater. There are no ships at all in the harbor. The silence is broken only by the calling of gulls and the lapping of the waves against the empty shore.


Male Tiefling Magus 4 (Bladebound Kensai)

Briar grimaces as he looks out at the broken city. "We don't need a boat to get to our destination, do we?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

Briar:
The walk up the beach seems to have really taken it out of you. Take 1 pt DEX damage and 2 pts CON damage, and make another Fort save.

Dice rolls:
Damage (D): 1d2 ⇒ 1
Damage (C): 1d2 ⇒ 2


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc eyes Charles not quite understanding, but replies, "You Charles, Beecroft Charles Beecroft, right." Waiting a moment as the cogs move into place, he continues, "Better."

He looks surprised as he comes through the portal, because it really isn't any different to the land he just came from. Kicking the path, he watches the stones and pebbles move. "It same?" Turning the corner, he sees the broken city port. With his left hand he scratches his wild hair, whilst his right nervously fondles his flail. "Now different" he announces to his compatriots. He stops and cautiously looks around.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Male Tiefling Magus 4 (Bladebound Kensai)

Fort Save:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Briar stumbles a moment as the group continues down the road. He doesn't fall, but he shakes it off as they move along. He takes a moment, wipes some sweat from his brow, but he shortly catches up to the rest of them.


Male Half-Elf Fighter (Two-Handed) 1

Charles frowns.

"That is indeed different. I wonder what happened here? Still, it would probably be wise to skirt around the devastation; we would not want to get caught-up in the aftermath of whatever wrought such destruction. From memory, we should be able to get to Kyonin just fine on foot; it will simply take a while..."

When Briar stumbles, and slows down briefly, Charles turns, and regards him with concern.

"Are you alright, Briar?"


Male Tiefling Magus 4 (Bladebound Kensai)

"I...don't know. This walk shouldn't of winded me...just really tired all of a sudden." Briar shakes his head as if to clear it, and wipes more sweat from his brow.

Current HP: 15 out of 23


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc puts his arm around Briar, pulling him straight, in a clumsy effort to help him. He continues to raise Briar almost taking his feet off the ground and carrying him along. A large gappy smile looks down at Briar, "Help friend, we walk good together." Briar's feet are skimming the ground as Darc takes his weight and starts to carry him forward.


Weakly Godlike Entity

There are easier paths to the top of the bluffs closer to the city (or at least there were), so you head in that direction. The damage to the city is, if anything, more impressive the closer you get. The harbor proper lacks ships, as previously stated, but from the masts sticking up above the water it's crowded with old wrecks. From the building damage it looks like there was a major earthquake, and there are also signs of fire. Although you can't tell exactly how long ago it all happened, you figure it's been at least a couple of years.

The stretch of breakwater with what used to be the harbor light has been broken on either end, so it's essentially a very small island. Charles, you notice that although the harbor light has also been broken there's what looks like a debris hut at its base, and a dinghy pulled up next to it. Darc, when the wind shifts, you think you might smell woodsmoke.

Dice rolls:
Perception check: 1d20 ⇒ 15


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc stops for a moment sniffing the air and dropping Briar as he does. "Fire, smoke .... it must be quite near." He casts around looking for a plume of dark coloured smoke rising into the blue sky. "We find it?"


Male Half-Elf Fighter (Two-Handed) 1

Charles looks around, squinting a little, as he regards the destruction wrought upon the city.

"Well, it looks like there is a hut constructed of debris, over near the base of the old harbor light... and I think that is a dinghy drawn up near it...?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

Now that he knows what to look for, Charles can see a faint thread of smoke rising from the hut.


Human Skirnir 4

Yeronimous goes towards the hut. First strange beasts, now ruined cities. This place is giving me the creeps.


Weakly Godlike Entity

The hut is a little tough to get to. Even where the breakwater is largely intact it's still falling apart, and the surf makes much of it too slippery for rapid movement. It takes most of the rest of the day to pick your way around; you eventually get out on the breakwater within about fifty feet of the hut, but the tide is mostly in and you can't get any closer without flying, swimming, or otherwise navigating the water.

As you're approaching an old man emerges from the hut, waving frantically at you. "Oi! You idiots! What you doin' away from yer ship, an' nightfall so close?"

Dice rolls:
Tides? 1d100 ⇒ 22
Perception check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


Male Half-Elf Fighter (Two-Handed) 1

Charles arches an eyebrow.

"We have no ship with us. Pray tell, what dangers are you referring to so obliquely?"

1 to 50 of 2,713 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's Through a Cracked Mirror: The Dark Road All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.