Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Carbide's Kingmaker IC

Game Master John Woodford

Kingmaker AP Part 1: Stolen Land

COMBAT MAP


1,951 to 2,000 of 2,868 << first < prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | next > last >>

Male Human Ranger 3

Let's head NW to hex C-6 next, then to B-6 and A-6.


Female Human Paladin 3

Works for me.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Sorry about the delay updating the map; my computer at home is still out of action, and the online mapping program I use is blocked at work.

Your late afternoon of berrypicking and spider fighting leaves you with a few remaining scratches, a slightly weakened cleric, and lingering itching that makes for a not-terribly-restful (but uneventful) night. No penalties, just aches & pains. Sabrina is fully recovered from the poison's effects by morning.

The weather is again reasonable the following day, and nothing disturbs you particularly as you finish exploring the area. The day following, though, the weather takes a turn for the worse as another storm comes raging out of the north. The forest ameliorates the worst of the wind, but it is wet and unpleasant going, and it seems like a good idea to hole up for a bit and let the storm pass.

Sabrina remembers enough about this area to know where to find shelter from the storm. As the party rides along, Jacyn notices Smoke tensing slightly as she puts her ears back. He listens, and over the wind catches what sounds like a dog whimpering in distress, followed by a laugh from a male human.

Dice rolls:
Miscellaneous roll E: 1d100 ⇒ 55
Miscellaneous roll W: 1d100 ⇒ 69
Miscellaneous roll A: 1d100 ⇒ 30

Miscellaneous roll E: 1d100 ⇒ 72
Miscellaneous roll W: 1d100 ⇒ 4
Miscellaneous roll A: 1d100 ⇒ 64
Miscellaneous roll E': 1d100 ⇒ 4

Adam Perception check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Bea Perception check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Havrin Perception check (+2 if humans involved): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Jacyn Perception check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Katya Perception check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Sabrina Perception check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Foe Perception check: 1d20 ⇒ 4

Adam Initiative check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Bea Initiative check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Havrin Initiative check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Jacyn Initiative check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Katya Initiative check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Sabrina Initiative check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Foe Initiative check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Sabrina memory (lower is better): 1d100 ⇒ 21


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

As the weather worsens, Adam takes it upon himself to sing a fitting tune, sans lute.

"With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,
A foolish thing was but a toy,
For the rain it raineth every day.
But when I came to man's estate,
With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,
'Gainst knaves and thieves men shut their gate,
For the rain it raineth every day.
But when I came, alas! to wive,
With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,
By swaggering could I never thrive,
For the rain it raineth every day.
But when I came unto my beds,
With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,
With toss-pots still had drunken heads,
For the rain it raineth every day.
A great while ago the world begun,
With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,
But that's all one, our play is done,
And we'll strive to please you every day."


Male Human Ranger 3

Assuming Jacyn alerts us of the noise, Havrin spurs Stepper to warily approach the sounds.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Yes, Jacyn does. Sorry, didnt even notice that part in the post...


Weakly Godlike Entity

Havrin slowly moves through the undergrowth towards the sounds, which he is soon able to hear. Ahead is a clearing; through the rain the ranger can discern a number of human-sized figures in what are probably rain capes standing in a rough circle and looking down at something on the ground between them. One of the figures looks like it's just tossed something into what you now realize is a pit, from which can be heard freshly agitated yipping and howling. The figure opposite the circle from Havrin sees him and calls out in alarm, at which all of them turn towards the party and begin to draw weapons. Havrin recognizes the arms and armor as being typical of the bandits the party has faced thus far.

And we're on melee time; no one is surprised, and a map will be forthcoming in at most a few hours (I hope). At the start, Havrin is in the lead and about forty feet from the bandits.

Round 1:

Initiative order:
Katya/Bandits
Havrin
Bea
Sabrina
Jacyn
Adam


Female Human Paladin 3

Seeing the bandits ahead of them, Bea immediately jumps down from her horse, and drawing her sword, runs to engage.

Move action: dismount, 2nd move action: 20' move towards bandits while drawing sword.


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

Round 1, Init 10 (#4)
HP 16/16
AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex)
Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +6

Sabrina, seeing a fight about to unfold, draws her longbow and provides a quick blessing.

"Father, guide us."

Cast Bless


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Adam keeps his lute stowed to prevent the rain from damaging it, but gargles some rainwater in preparation for musicality. He urges Bea's horse closer.

"Remember not to kill them all. Just get them to surrender."

Round 1
Bardic Performance 1/9: Satire

"The Stag Lord losing much of his stag,
resolved instead to kick and drag,
the weaklings that would follow him
through mud and rain in which to drown them."

Perform
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Weakly Godlike Entity

Map is HERE; post forthcoming.


Round 1
HP 10/10
AC 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +5

Katya grumbles as she hears the alarm of the bandits in the clearing and she quickly pulls her staff into her hands from her belt and raises the ornamented end to point at Bea. "Why can't get we just one easy day out here!"

A faint glow bursts from her staff as she speaks the words "Oontanx Xiekiv," which streaks towards Bea and hits her across the shoulder.

"Give them a good thumping for me Bea!" Katya calls out as she prepares her next spell.

Move action to pull staff from her back then casting Enlarge person on Bea.


Male Human Ranger 3

Waiting to see what the bandits do before posting my attack.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Just making sure I don't lose the dot. :P


Weakly Godlike Entity

Much better to have a working computer.

Round 1:

The three further bandits loose arrows at Havrin, all three flying well wide of their mark. The three closer bandits draw shortswords and charge the ranger; two miss cleanly, but the third lands a solid blow. Havrin, take 8 HP.

Map HERE.

Dice rolls:
B4 longbow attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
B5 longbow attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
B6 longbow attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
B1 charging shortsword attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
B2 charging shortsword attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
B3 charging shortsword attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
B1 charging shortsword confirmation: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
B1 shortsword damage: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 5) + 2 = 8


Male Human Ranger 3

Round One:

Grimacing in pain, Havrin unsheathes his greatsword and slashes his blade at one of the bandits that attacked him. At the same time, he directs Stepper to attack one of the other bandits before him.

Move action (that does not provoke AoO) to draw greatsword. Standard action to attack bandit B1. Free action to direct Stepper to full-round attack bandit B2.

DC 10 Ride check to fight with combat-trained mount: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Greatsword Attack vs. B1: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 1 = 12
Greatsword Damage vs. B1: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (4, 5) + 3 = 12

Stepper Bite vs. B2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Bite Damage: 1d4 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Critical Hit Confirmation: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Additional Bite Damage: 1d4 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Stepper Hoof #1 vs. B2: 1d20 ⇒ 14
Hoof #1 Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Stepper Hoof #2 vs. B2: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Hoof #2 Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Havrin's AC: 17
Havrin's HP: 12/20
Stepper's AC: 17
Stepper's HP: 19/19


Weakly Godlike Entity

Round 1 (final):

Initiative order:
Katya/Bandits-acted
Havrin-acted
Bea-acted
Sabrina-acted
Adam-acted

The wily bandit manages to duck under Havrin's sword blow. The ranger's horse is not so easily denied in its attacks; its bite shatters a bandit's shoulder, and as the man collapses in pain one iron-shod hoof leaves him bleeding his life out on the rain-soaked ground.

At the end of the round, the map looks like THIS.

Round 2:

Initiative order:
Bandits-acted; Katya
Havrin
Bea
Sabrina
Adam

The three archers turn their attention to the biggest target. The rain interferes with their aim, though, and two miss; the arrow from the third barely penetrates the paladin's armor. Take 1 HP, Bea. The two remaining bandits facing Havrin continue to attack him. One of the thrusts skitters off his armor, but the second slips past his guard. Take another 5 HP, Havrin.

Katya, you're up.

Dice rolls:
Party Intimidate check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
B4 on Bea: 1d20 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 2 - 1 = 18
B5 on Bea: 1d20 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 2 - 1 = 5
B5 on Bea: 1d20 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 2 - 1 = 4
B1 on Havrin: 1d20 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (15) + 2 - 1 = 16
B3 on Havrin: 1d20 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (16) + 2 - 1 = 17
arrow damage on Bea: 1d8 ⇒ 1
shortsword damage on Havrin: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

Round 2, Init #4
HP 16/16
AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex)
Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +6

Sabrina directs one of the bandits B1 to charge another B4.

Murderous Command: Will DC 15


Male Human Ranger 3

Round Two:

Havrin grunts with pain as his armor is pierced again by a bandit's sword. The stoic ranger slashes his greatsword at one of the bandits before him while directing Stepper to attack the same.

Standard action to attack bandit B3. Free action to direct Stepper to attack bandit B3 using full-round attack.

DC 10 Ride check to fight with combat-trained mount: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Greatsword Attack vs. B3: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 23 (includes bonuses for higher ground, bless, and inspire
Greatsword Damage vs. B3: 2d6 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (3, 6) + 3 + 1 = 13

Stepper Bite vs. B3: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Bite Damage: 1d4 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Stepper Hoof #1 vs. B3: 1d20 ⇒ 6
Hoof #1 Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Stepper Hoof #2 vs. B3: 1d20 ⇒ 8
Hoof #2 Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Havrin's AC: 17
Havrin's HP: 7/20
Stepper's AC: 17
Stepper's HP: 19/19


Weakly Godlike Entity

Not that it matters in this case, Havrin, but were you including favored enemy bonuses?


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Just as a reminder, I don't inspire, I satire. The bandits take -1 on attack rolls and stuff.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Accounted for on my end, Adam. It saved Havrin from another sword hit.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Yeah, I know. I was letting Havrin know. He had inspire listed as a bonus.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Round Two
AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +1 size, +3 dexterity)
hp 14/14
Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +4 (+2 vs illusion, +4 vs sonic, bardic, and language dependent)

Adam urges Bea's horse forward a little more, trying to stay behind combat and not make himself a viable target for archers.

Casting moment of greatness 50' radius.

Bardic Performance 2/9: Satire

"Arrows flew but missed the heroes,
protected as they were by grace.
Perhaps the shooting bandits
would do better tatting lace."


Female Human Paladin 3

Looking down on the now diminutive looking bandit, Bea brings her enormous greatsword around on him, but is thrown off balance by her change in stature.

attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
damage: 3d6 + 5 ⇒ (1, 2, 4) + 5 = 12

AC temporarily 16 due to Enlarge Person


Round 2
HP 10/10
AC 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +5

Having no way to help with the front of the fight, Katya slides her staff from the top of her head to her feet, enchanting the words "Qe nurocuirgarh."

As her staff moves down, Katya vanishes from sight and once she is completely invisible she moves towards the archers as quickly as she can.

Standard Action using Staff to cast Vanish then moving to N24 using my 30 feet of movement + 5 foot Shift power.
Stealth: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (16) + 20 = 36


Male Human Ranger 3
DM Carbide wrote:
Not that it matters in this case, Havrin, but were you including favored enemy bonuses?

That would be a no... But I will be now!

Adam Burlevogne wrote:
Just as a reminder, I don't inspire, I satire. The bandits take -1 on attack rolls and stuff.

Thanks, Adam. I forgot.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Round 2 (final):

Havrin and Stepper between them account for another bandit, who ends up on the ground next to the first. The last of the charging trio fails to resist Sabrina's command and prepares to charge back at his action next round.

Map at the end of the round is HERE.

Round 3:

The trio of archers, seeing two of their number cut down in short order and missing most of their shots, break and run. With that, the bandit closest to you will not be able to catch them before the spell expires; Bea gets an AoO on him as he turns away, though.

Dice rolls:
DC 15 Will save: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13
Party Intimidate check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

Sabrina takes aim with her longbow, but noticing that they are running off she stays her arrow, not being one to cause needless harm.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Will be out of town due to a funeral for a few days. But will have my i-pad with me, so I should be able to keep up with the game.


Female Human Paladin 3

AoO: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
damage: 3d6 + 5 ⇒ (4, 2, 3) + 5 = 14

Beatrix takes a swing at the bandit in front of her, then calls out to the fleeing men. "Hold it! Stop where you are!"

intimidate: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12 Even in her current giant form, she's not very intimidating.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Bea slams the bandit to the ground to join his two fellows. The other three aren't slowing down.


Male Human Ranger 3

Havrin lowers his greatsword and slumps in his saddle, one arm clenched around his wounds. "Might as well let them go. I'm sure we'll encounter them again at a later time. Let's see to whatever it is they were torturing in that pit."


Weakly Godlike Entity

I'm been having trouble with the boards; anyone else?

How is the party going to approach the pit?


Seeing the remaining bandits fleeing, Katya uses up her limited invisibility and walks over to the pit that the bandits were standing around. Looking over the side, Katya is careful not to get too close to the edge in case it is loose.


Male Human Ranger 3

Havrin dismounts from Stepper. With arrow nocked to bowstring, the wounded ranger slowly and carefully approaches to within approximately 10 feet from the edge of the pit, listening for any signs of life.

Perception check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13, additional +2 if human.


Female Human Paladin 3

Beatrix also approaches cautiously, sword at the ready.


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

Sabrina in her typical fashion follows Beatrix's lead.


Weakly Godlike Entity

The boards seem to be coming back to normal.

Katya, give me a Survival check.


Survival Check: 1d20 ⇒ 17


Weakly Godlike Entity

Katya, the edge of the pit slopes down, and looks way too slippery in the rain to be safe to approach closer than 5' from the edge without holding on to something.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Looks like the boards are sort-of back to normal again.

Which is to say, Katya, that getting close enough to see what's in the pit looks like you'd be putting yourself at serious risk of falling in.

ETA: However, Katya and Havrin do get close enough that the noise of the rain no longer interferes as much with the sounds made by the thing in the pit, and both of them think they recognize them. A couple of weeks ago, the party encountered a creature that looked rather like a wolf, but wasn't quite one. It fled after taking a nip at one of the horses, and the sounds it made are similar to what's coming from the pit.

Dice rolls:
Havrin Knowledge (Nature) check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Katya Knowledge (Nature) check: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Sabrina Knowledge (Nature) check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Funeral duties over.

Adam approaches the pit carefully, making certain not to get too close lest he fall in.

"Are you all right?"


Male Human Ranger 3

Survival check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

"Sounds like one of those striped wolf-like creatures that nipped at our horses a couple of weeks ago - the same day we discovered that gold mine, I believe. I don't think it's that talking wolf we encountered previously."

"I hate to leave an innocent creature trapped in a pit, but the edges don't look stable. I have some rope and a grappling hook... Anyone have any ideas how to get it out of the pit?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

Havrin, there's a tree close enough that you could tie off to it and get closer to the edge with less risk of falling in.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

"Not really. Its bound to be heavy." Adam shrugs as he considers the conundrum.


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

Is there a tree branch that can be cut loose and lowered down? If so, Sabrina would like to combine calm animals and speak with animals to encourage it to climb free.


Weakly Godlike Entity

At this point you don't know quite how deep the pit is. With the pieces of a plan you have so far, though, I'll run it out.

Havrin ties his rope to a nearby tree and hangs onto it as he carefully approaches the edge. Despite the slick conditions he's easily able to get close enough to see into the pit. Sure enough, there's a striped wolf in the bottom, about twenty feet down. It's favoring one leg as it paces in a circle, whimpering. Putting a branch down there for it to climb out won't work due to the depth.

Sabrina follows suit, trying to get close enough to the edge to cast her spells and reassure the animal. She slips as the edge gives way under her, and she almost falls in. With the aid of her magic she's able to convince the wolfoid to keep still while she is lowered down and picks it up; Havrin and Bea pull her out along with her passenger.

Dice rolls:
Havrin DC 15 Ref save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Sabrina DC 15 Ref save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Male Human Ranger 3

"Well done, Sabrina! Is the creature injured badly?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

It's complaining to her that its right foreleg hurts, and it's bruised from where it fell (and from where the bandits were throwing rocks at it).

1,951 to 2,000 of 2,868 << first < prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's Kingmaker IC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.