Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Carbide's Kingmaker IC

Game Master John Woodford

Kingmaker AP Part 1: Stolen Land

COMBAT MAP


1,801 to 1,850 of 2,856 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

Male Human Ranger 3

Havrin carefully examines the surrounding area in an effort to find the horse's tracks and possibly its trail to backtrack.

Survival check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

"Bea? Sabrina? Could you help me search for the horse's tracks?" Havrin asks. Some Survival Aid Another checks might help!


Weakly Godlike Entity

There's no trail of blood around the horse, but its backtrail is clear enough to the ranger that he's able to figure out where it had come from. Incidentally, its tack includes a pair of saddlebags. One contains a waterskin and two days' field rations, and the other contains a couple of rabbit pelts, silver and copper coinage with a total value of 2 gp, and a tunic in what would be reasonable condition if not for a slash and extensive bloodstains.

The horse doesn't seem to have been moving in one direction, but wandering around aimlessly. Eventually Havrin finds the trail out of the immediate area, and thence to the scene of a pitched battle. There are four dead humans in leather armor, armed with shortswords and bows; there is a silver stag necklace that looks like it was torn off of someone's neck (the chain is broken) and left to lie on the ground. The bodies (or what's left of them after the predators and scavengers have been at work) seem to have been there for about a day.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

So weird. This campaign hadn't updated for me since Wednesday. I mean with the dot. I was wondering why no one was posting.

Adam slips the rabbit pelts and coins into his own bags. "Whoever these belong to will want them back someday."

He shakes his head slowly in sorrow at the site of the grisly combat scene. "Poor souls." Then stoops to examine the silver stag necklace.

Appraise
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 Gah! It's worth a million gold pieces!!!!

Knowledge (Nobility) to determine if its a royal house sigil
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Weakly Godlike Entity

Adam, the necklace is identical to the ones you found on Happs and Kressle.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

"Bandits again... that Stag Lord fellow no doubt. Or someone serving him."

Adam picks up the stag pendant and shows it to others.


Weakly Godlike Entity
Adam Burlevogne wrote:


Appraise
1d20+7 Gah! It's worth a million gold pieces!!!!

Shouldn't that be "This necklace is worth one million gold pieces!", followed by putting one's little finger to the corner of one's mouth?


Female Human Paladin 3

Bea leans down to examine the bodies. "I wonder what happened to them. I don't reckon they ran into other bandits or mites or such - if they had their gear and money wouldn't still be here. You think some beast might have done this?"

heal: 1d20 ⇒ 5 She has NO idea what caused their deaths - at least not based on their wounds.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Actually, Bea, given your profession and choice of weapons, you think you spot a couple of wounds that look like they were caused by a large chopping/slashing weapon--a polearm, greataxe, or greatsword.


Female Human Paladin 3

Bea stops and looks back down as something catches her eye. "Now wait. These wounds here - they were made by a large blade - I don't know of any beast that would leave marks like that - but why would anyone kill them and just leave them like this? It doesn't make any sense!"


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

"Oh no. Who would do this?!" Sabrina yells as she runs up to the bodies to inspect them for signs of life, knowing her actions are futile. After spending a moment coming to terms with their seemingly since-less deaths, Sabrina decides to ask the horse what happened.

Speak with Animals (5 rounds/day)

Horse Speak:

"How are you doing?"
"Is everything ok?"
"Do you know these men?"
"How did this happen?"
"Where are they from?"


Male Human Ranger 3

"So what do you think happened here? A disagreement between two groups of bandits? Or assuming that these men were bandits, is there another group of people here in the Greenbelt seeking to put an end to the Stag Lord's depredations?" Havrin muses aloud.

Havrin searches the ground around the scene of battle, trying to discern the direction in which the victors rode away.

Survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 (plus additional +2 if human) - yeah, not so much...


Weakly Godlike Entity

Havrin, you find a lot of confused tracks and a few arrows.

Horse Answer:
"Back hurts. Better now." The horse nuzzles one of the bodies. "Friend-rider. Was scared--shouts! Man! Wolf! Steel! Blood! Friend-rider gone! I run!

"They from home."


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

"It's hard to be sure because horses think differently than us..."

"But he (or she) says that this one is he friend," Sabrina explains pointing to the man the horse indicated.

"They were running away from a man, or a wolf, or both. Or running after it. The horse didn't say exactly. But they were scared so I'm guessing they were running away."

"Either way, he was killed and the horse ran away after that."


Female Human Paladin 3

"Could it have been our friend the werewolf? I suppose he did us a favor, if it was. We'd better get these bodies buried, anyways - the carrion have had their way well enough as is." Bea pulls any useful equipment away from the corpses and then sets about digging. Wiping her forehead, she sighs, "Looks like it's gonna be a long night."


Male Human Ranger 3

Havrin watches impassively for several moments as Bea works at digging graves for the fallen. "I suppose even bandits deserve a proper burial," he mutters under his breath before stepping over to help the paladin.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Adam helps Bea look for valuables.

Perception
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Weakly Godlike Entity

There are a few silver and copper pieces among the fallen, totaling 10 gp. Each of the four bodies found is in studded leather (sometimes rather the worse for wear), and as noted above they carried shortswords and longbows. None of the arms or armor are masterwork. There are a couple of sacks of pelts, total worth 20 gp. Adam, as you're looking over things you notice that although three had their weapons drawn (at least, their shortswords were on the ground near them, instead of in their sheathes), there is no blood on any of the swords.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

"Whatever killed them, killed them very quickly. I do not think they suffered too much."


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Jacyn assists with the digging. "I wonder if these were men that our friends back at the Outpost knew? Perhaps we can show the leathers and weapons to them whenever we get back to see if they recognize any of it."


Male Human Ranger 3

"Well, that's three of those stag pendants we've come across now. At least the Stag Lord is losing more of his valued people," Havrin comments.


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

"What?! How can you say that about followers of my father. The great stag is good to everyone!"

Sabrina misunderstands Havrin's reference to the Stag Lord bandit as a reference to her father.


Female Human Paladin 3

Beatrix can't help but laugh. The Stag Lord is the name of the chief of bandits, not the same as the Great Stag who both Havrin and I revere." She takes the pendant and shows it to Sabrina. "See this symbol? His followers wear it and it marks them as a bad sort of people." Tapping her own pendant, she continues. "This is the symbol of your father, Erastil. See the difference?" Now that I think about it, it's almost as if he took something good and pure and twisted it to evil...


Goodness! For some reason my dot wasn't updating. Sorry for the lack of posts.

Katya stays mounted on her horse as the others canvas the scene and begin digging graves. Knowing she can't help very much in the actual digging, and would probably get in the way, Katya keeps her eyes scanning over the horizon for awhile, making sure we aren't taken by surprise. After awhile she turns to speak up, seeing that Bea and the others are nearing the end of their work.

"At least we have a vague idea of where our bandits might be. A fort to the south would be a good place for bandits to hole up in this wilderness. Though that does make any attempt to stop them quite a bit harder in the long run."


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

"Perhaps. While they should be easier to locate now, if they are continually returning to one central location, though it could be more difficult to root them out of their hole. Of course, if they are have been there long, they likely have some sort of routine set up for guard duty, which we may be able to find a way to exploit."


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Adam nods and grins at the idea of finally beating the bandits.

"I can't wait for the day when we can melt these silly stag pendants down into something more useful."


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3
Bea wrote:
Beatrix can't help but laugh. The Stag Lord is the name of the chief of bandits, not the same as the Great Stag who both Havrin and I revere." She takes the pendant and shows it to Sabrina. "See this symbol? His followers wear it and it marks them as a bad sort of people." Tapping her own pendant, she continues. "This is the symbol of your father, Erastil. See the difference?" Now that I think about it, it's almost as if he took something good and pure and twisted it to evil...

Sabrina clutches the blasphemous stag pendant in her hand, "I don't like it... I want to stop him!"


Female Human Paladin 3

Bea smiles a little sadly. "We will - that's our job out here, to stop those kind of people." She turns and gives the halfling a wry smile, "And if Adam can make a profit, all the better."


Weakly Godlike Entity

You get the common grave dug and bury the bodies, then go back the way you came. The rest of the day is uneventful.


Weakly Godlike Entity

The night is likewise uneventful, although it's coming on towards the full moon and you occasionally hear howling in the distance.

The next morning dawns clear and pleasant, a nice contrast to the past few days of rain. You head northwest past the river crossing and into unknown territory (to all of you; Sabrina doesn't remember this area very well). Late in the morning, Havrin thinks he hears a shout up ahead, over a hill.

Dice rolls:
Miscellaneous roll E: 1d100 ⇒ 80
Miscellaneous roll W: 1d100 ⇒ 75
Miscellaneous roll A: 1d100 ⇒ 38
Miscellaneous roll E': 1d100 ⇒ 15
1d4 ⇒ 1
Sabrina's memory (low): 1d100 ⇒ 73


Male Human Ranger 3

"Did you all hear that? A shout up ahead, over that hill," Havrin announces, drawing his bow and nocking an arrow to the string as he urges Stepper to quickly ascend the hill.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Adam strains his ears and listens.

Perception
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


Weakly Godlike Entity

Adam, you also hear the shouting (it sounds like a male human; angry, fearful, or both), and under it a sort of snuffling sound.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Jacyn brings his shield and lance up, ready for action as he rides off after Havrin.

On a side note, did we bring that horse we found with us? I assume we did, but I honestly dont remember, lol.


Weakly Godlike Entity

I figured you took the other horse with.

As the various party members crest the hill, in a small dell below them they see an apparently-dead boar, a distressingly live one, and a man on horseback. His condition is a transient one, though, as the boar gores the horse and it goes over.

Round 1:

Initiative order:
Bea/Man
Havrin
Jacyn
Adam/Katya
Sabrina/Boar

Cursing, the man tries to crawl out from under the fallen horse.

Dice rolls:
Adam Initiative check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Bea Initiative check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Havrin Initiative check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Jacyn Initiative check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Katya Initiative check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Sabrina Initiative check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Vekkel Initiative check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Boar Initiative check: 1d20 ⇒ 4


Female Human Paladin 3

How far away are we currently?


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

Round 1, Init 4

Assuming it's still alive by the time Sabrina can act, she tries to calm the boar.

Calm Animals (Will DC 15), 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (2, 4) + 2 = 8 HD


Weakly Godlike Entity

About eighty feet.


Male Human Ranger 3

Round One:

Guiding Stepper with his knees, Havrin signals for the horse to slow and then fires an arrow at the attacking boar.

Free action to signal Stepper to slow to a walk; auto-succeeding the DC 5 Ride check to guide with knees. Standard action to fire arrow at boar.

Ranged Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Havrin's AC: 17
Havrin's HP: 20/20
Stepper's AC: 17
Stepper's AC: 19/19


Weakly Godlike Entity

Havrin's arrow flies true and hits the angry pig.


Female Human Paladin 3

"Oh, Erastil's horns. Hold on!" Bea spurs her horse and rides full gallop at the melee.

Double move


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Although he can do little other than hold on as Bea's horse whips into action, Adam grips harder and draws his rapier. He leaps off as they reach the scene of action. Can I do that? Or is my action taken up by the double move too?

Acrobatics
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13 to jump off the horse and tumble past the boar if possible.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Jacyn gives Smoke a light kick in the ribs to get the horse moving. The pair ride hard at the pig, Jacyn coming just close enough to gouge the thing with his lance.

"Leave him be, beast. Your fight is with me, now."

Charge 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Damage 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (7, 1) + 6 = 14


Weakly Godlike Entity

Adam, you don't have to spend a move action, since you're not steering.

Jacyn's lance inflicts a deep wound, but the animal is still up and fighting.

The diminutive bard hits the ground in a tight roll and comes to his feet, able to take a stab at the boar at a -2 to hit.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 1

Oh, I just wanted to move to flank the boar, not attack it, yet. (If I can).


Weakly Godlike Entity

You can flank it.


Weakly Godlike Entity

I'll give Katya until tomorrow to post before moving on.


Sorry, didn't notice it was my turn.

Following the party as we crest the hill, Katya looks at the man fending off the enraged boar and gives an exasperated click of her tongue against her teeth as she urges her horse forward to a supporting position behind the rest of the group and lifts her staff up into the air, enchanting words of magic from long studied memory.

"Arcaniss Nil'gnos!

And a ball of blue light leaps from her staff, impacting the boar unerringly.

Move up to 30 ft. from the boar and casting Magic Missile from my Staff's one spell per day ability.

Magic Missile1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Weakly Godlike Entity

Round 1:

The multiple attacks take their toll on the beast, but its inherent toughness and rage keep it going long enough for it to try to gore Jacyn's horse. It misses...and then collapses to the ground as Sabrina's spell takes hold. Negative hit points and running on ferocity; I figure a calm spell will knock out the ferocity effect, though.

The man finishes extricating himself from the horse, a process complicated by his peg leg having broken in the fall. "Thanks for the timely rescue. Figure it might be time to hang up my bow; if I can't manage a pair of pigs, there's no chance I'll be able to take old Tuskgutter."

Dice rolls:
Will save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Attack on Jacyn's horse: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 - 2 = 8


Female Human Paladin 3

Bea hops down from her horse and reaches down to help the man up. "What brings you out here? Tuskgutter, you say? Can't say I've heard of him myself. Name's Beatrix, and this here's Adam and Jacyn. Yonder are Havrin, Katya, and Sabrina. You hurt at all?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

The man nods, brushing the dirt and grass out of his thinning grey hair. "Oleg and Svetlana told me about you. I'm Vekkel Benzen,--" He looks ruefully down at his broken prosthesis. "--newly retired hunter. Nothing but bruises, unless you've got a new leg hiding in your saddlebags. And Tuskgutter is the reason I'm missing the original. Damned great boar, the size of four of these little ones." He indicates the animals on the ground. "I was hoping to bring him down before I hung up my bow for good, but I don't think that's going to happen."

1,801 to 1,850 of 2,856 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's Kingmaker IC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.