Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Carbide's Kingmaker IC

Game Master John Woodford

Kingmaker AP Part 1: Stolen Land (completed)
Kingmaker AP Part 2: Rivers Run Red

COMBAT MAP

KINGDOM SHEET


1,751 to 1,800 of 3,042 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>

Female Human Paladin 4

Bea rolls her eyes and dismounts, approaching the man on foot, no weapons drawn, but holds out her hand in greeting. As she approaches she keeps a close eye on him though, trying to discern his intentions. "My name's Beatrix, this here is Adam."

Detect evil ability


Weakly Godlike Entity

He shakes his head. "No. Just passing through. Got an itch to see what the hunting was like out in the Kamelands. Not so good, like I said. Back to the Narlmarches for me."

Although he sounds polite enough and he's holding his crossbow in a nonthreatening manner, he'll back or sidestep away if any of you get within about twenty or thirty feet, and he watches all of you closely.

"Might want to be careful, though. Downriver about ten-fifteen miles, there's a fort on the Tuskwater. Saw it yesterday. Didn't get too close."

Havrin, Katya, & Sabrina:
Something about his body language seems odd to you--not hostile, but not quite what you'd expect from a human. It could just be that he's been out wandering by himself for some time, though.

ETA:

Bea:
You detect no evil on him.


Female Human Paladin 4

Bea smiles at the man. "Thanks for the tip. We're what you might call the authority around here - we're trying to make the place safe for settlers and the like. You've got nothing to fear from us 'slong as you stay on the right side of the law, though. We're mostly stationed out of Oleg's trading post north of here, where you're welcome to stop for supplies - he'll give good coin for your furs too. If you see any other bandit activity or other cause for help you can report it there - we want to make sure folks such as you can pass through these lands without trouble."


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Sensing Bea's call to perform civic duty, Adam adds another useful bit of information.

"Careful to the west of Oleg's, if you go much off the beaten path. There are traps everywhere. Dangerous to anyone traveling through."


Weakly Godlike Entity

The man smiles slightly at Bea's words, though he doesn't show his teeth at all, then nods at Adam's. "Not planning on going so far north, this time out, but thanks for the warning. And the invite. Oleg's, you say...I'll remember the name."


Male Human Ranger 3

Havrin's eyes narrow as he studies the stranger, but he keeps his stance relaxed and his hands away from his weapons.

"We thank you for warning us about the fort. We'll certainly be careful. My name is Havrin, by the way. Havrin Stahl. I'm afraid we didn't catch your name, Master...?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

"Didn't say. Stefan Ionescu."


Male Human Ranger 3

"Pleased to meet you, Master Ionescu," Havrin says, bowing his head politely. "We're rather new to the area, and we've been tasked with exploring the Narlmarches as well. It sounds like you're very familiar with that area. We'd appreciate any information or advice you could share with us."


Kingmaker Sheet

Staying towards the back of the group as Bea and Havrin converse with the stranger, her eyes scan the man, noting the greatsword strapped to his back and the way he keeps his distance. When Stefan mentions the fort to the south Katya makes a mental note to discuss it with the rest of the group later and turns back the man. Trying to puzzle out why he doesn't seem to be acting normal, Katya decides to stay silent and let Bea and Havrin deal with the man however they wish.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Adam, remaining friendly as always, attempts to find out more about the man's strange motives as well.

Sense Motive
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


Male Human Ranger 3

Havrin listens carefully to the man's response, studying his behavior carefully as he speaks.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16 (please subtract 2 if Ionescu is not human).


Weakly Godlike Entity

Adam and Havrin, he's not currently hostile. More indifferent than anything else, and there's the obvious body language and movement to maintain his distance from you. It looks more like he's trying to be prepared in case you try to attack him, than that he's gearing up for an attack against you. Score one for Adam's diplomatic approach, and for a decent roll on the skill check.

"I mostly keep further west and south than this, but saw a couple of things to watch out for. Big boar wandering the woods--treed me for a while. Maybe fifty miles northwest of here, something real weird. Dead white horse in a little glade. Looked fresh. Didn't stick around. Sm--Seemed wrong--no blood. Oh, and there's this elk god statue not far from the body."

Havrin and Sabrina:
His body language reminds you very much of a lone wolf encountering a potential threat.

Dice rolls:
Havrin Knowledge (Nature) check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Katya Knowledge (Nature) check: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
Sabrina Knowledge (Nature) check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

Using speak with animals Sabrina makes a simple wolf howl that roughly translates to friends.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

"Erastil... He is the elk god. Very popular in the Riverlands and the wilderness."

Adam looks over his shoulder and shakes his head in pity.

"Sabrina, back there, she's a bit of a wildling. Seems to understand nature better than humans, though. So that's fitting."


Male Human Ranger 3

"Thank you for the information. Sounds like you've done some extensive traveling in these parts," Havrin replies, giving much consideration to all of the information - both verbal and non-verbal - provided by the stranger. "We'll definitely keep an eye out for that boar. And the statue of Erastil sounds like something we'd definitely like to see. The dead white horse does sound disturbing, though," he adds, sharing a concerned look with Bea and Sabrina.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

At the mention of the dead horse, Jacyn subconsciously begins patting Smoke on the neck.

"Do you know of anyone else who we might run into out here? Other hunters, I mean? Perhaps you know who laid those traps Adam spoke of? Oh, and the name is Jacyn Frestarn. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, I'm sure." the half-elf says with a low bow. or as low as one can bow while sitting on a horse.


Weakly Godlike Entity

At Sabrina's howl the man tenses sharply, and looks suspiciously at the cleric; he almost starts to raise his crossbow before the bard cuts in. Adam's words seem to mollify him somewhat, and he relaxes enough to reply to Jacyn. "Don't talk to people much. Other hunters, we leave each other alone. Some bandits about, though. Fewer now." He grins briefly, a quick showing of teeth. "Thought you maybe were more of the same, but the last bunch didn't say much except 'Give us everything you have!'"

He looks up at the sun's position in the sky. "Time I was on my way, and I want to reach forest by sundown. Good day." With that, he turns and continues west, unless any of you want to interact with him further.


Female Human Paladin 4

Waving, Beatrix calls out "Safe travels to you friend!"


Weakly Godlike Entity

Where to now? Catching up with Stefan and talking didn't impact the progress of your exploration for the day.


Female Human Paladin 4

Travelling back in the south-east direction I believe?


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Sounds good to me.


Male Human Ranger 3

Southeast sounds good to me too.

"There was something... odd... about Stefan Ionescu," Havrin says softly after he is sure that the man is well beyond human - or animal - earshot. "He seemed almost... wolflike. Wouldn't you agree, Sabrina?"


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

"Do you think he and the talking wolf we met earlier, and the raging wolf-thing we also met earlier, have anything to do with one another?"


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3
Havrin Stahl wrote:

Southeast sounds good to me too.

"There was something... odd... about Stefan Ionescu," Havrin says softly after he is sure that the man is well beyond human - or animal - earshot. "He seemed almost... wolflike. Wouldn't you agree, Sabrina?"

"Yeah but why does he hide it...?" Sabrina asks, showing she might not understand why that could be a problem.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

"I was thinking the same thing, Adam. You don't suppose he could be a werewolf, do ya?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

Mmmmmaybe. Give me a Knowledge (Local, Nobility, or History) check to see if any of you recognize his name.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Ah, my specialties.

Local
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Nobility
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

History
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

"And he was feeding, not raging, my error. Still, not to be disturbed."


Female Human Paladin 4

Bea looks surprised. "Really? He may have been a bit eccentric from living on his own for too long, but I didn't think he looked dangerous or evil."


Weakly Godlike Entity

Adam:
You recall a vague hint dropped by one of the Surtovas who'd spent time in Ustalav, about the Ionescu family--petty nobility from the Ardis area. In the context of a spirited discussion about embarrassing relatives, he'd commented that all there should count their blessings; "the Ionescus, what they have to deal with at times would make you wish for black sheep."

Bea:
By RAW, with the exception of undead or evil outsiders, evil-aligned creatures with 4 HD or less have no aura to spot via detect evil.


Female Human Paladin 4
DM Carbide wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

DM Carbide:
That's fine, but Bea doesn't know that - honestly she doesn't really know she's using the "detect evil" ability, she just knows that sometimes when she tries really hard to determine someone's intentions she feels good or bad about them.

Weakly Godlike Entity

Bea:
Fair enough, and in this case (as previously described) there was nothing about the man that would give you pause.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

"Ah, I recall now. The Surtovas once mentioned the Ionescus, as having an embarrassing family secret or two. Apparently it was all hush-hush."

The situation didn't sit well with Adam, who apparently has an abhorrence for mysteries.


Weakly Godlike Entity

I'm assuming this conversation took place as you were riding back the way you came. Do any of you want to try to catch back up with Ionescu, or are you going on with your exploration?


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

"I have no problem with werewolves, so long as they leave me and mine alone. Easy enough to manage, I should think. Leave them alone and they'll leave us alone."

Adam looks over the map.

"Shall we head to that shrine of Erastil he was telling us about?"


Female Human Paladin 4

Bea nods. "Sure, if we can find it."


Male Human Ranger 3

"Do you really believe Stefan Ionescu is a werewolf?" Havrin interjects into the conversation. "It's just... We told him he was welcome to stop in at the trading post..."

Havrin let's the implications hang in the air unspoken.


Female Human Paladin 4

Bea shrugs. "I ain't ever met one before. I know they're supposed to be evil, but I just think...I mean what if that were one of us got bit and turned into one? Could happen to anyone. Maybe he's just normal folk trying to get by in the world - if so, I'd think he'd have the sense not to camp inside the fort if he's gonna turn into...something...in a full moon. Or however it is that works." She considers that for a moment. "And if not, well Oleg and Svetlana aren't alone anymore. There's soldiers and men there - they know how to take care of themselves."


Weakly Godlike Entity

I'll try to update the exploration map tonight and include the information you got from Stefan, so you can tell me where you're planning on going.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Updated exploration map is HERE. Which way do you want to go?


Male Human Ranger 3

How about we explore the next hex to the NW (6,D I believe), followed by the one N of that (5,D) and then work our way NW toward the statue?


Female Human Paladin 4

Sure, that works for me.


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

Sabrina is still getting used to exploring with purpose. Most of her life she more or less wandered without purpose beyond staying safe and hunting. So she will simply follow the consensus without much interest in the particulars for now.


Female Human Paladin 4

Huh...I thought I already posted here but I guess not. Havrin's plan looks good to me.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Same, since I have no idea which square we are in now anyway, lol.


Weakly Godlike Entity

You're in 6-E, the one marked "River Crossing."

The party wraps up their explorations of the area and finds nothing else until that evening, when Havrin spots a horse munching on grass at the base of a hill. The interesting thing is that it appears to have saddle, bit, and bridle, but no rider is nearby.


Female Human Paladin 4

"Huh. Horse lost its rider - might be nearby, but we're not gonna be able to search much with night coming. Jacyn, can you round up the horse? We'll keep it at our camp tonight and search for the rider in the morning. Hopefully he's not dead."


Weakly Godlike Entity

Jacyn is readily able to round up the horse. It's not in very good shape; the cavalier estimates it's been saddled for at least a day, and the dried slaver around its muzzle indicates that it had been running hard for a while. The other minor thing that someone probably notices is that although the horse is apparently unwounded there's a good-sized bloodstain down one side of the saddle. The hand-to-hand combatants in the party figure based on their experience that the rider took a massive wound from that side and probably fell off.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

"Any way to tell how far back the rider might have fallen? Or in which direction from here, even?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

The bloodstain is completely dried. From the weather the past few days, it's been at least a day since it was spilled.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Any kind of trail of blood that might have been left? Dripping off the saddle or anything?

1,751 to 1,800 of 3,042 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's Kingmaker IC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.