Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Carbide's Kingmaker IC

Game Master John Woodford

Kingmaker AP Part 1: Stolen Land (completed)
Kingmaker AP Part 2: Rivers Run Red

COMBAT MAP


1,701 to 1,750 of 2,982 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>

Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Adam smiles charmingly at Sabrina.

"Hardly, my dear." He sets his lute aside again, near the fire so the dampness does not destroy it. "It's a game of chance and skill where people volunteer things of value if they lose. It's very simple to learn." He then retrieves a deck of playing cards that the bandits were playing with when they captured them.

"Here, let me show you. First, you put something of value in the center between us here. I have this bit of gold ore I found in a cave. Isn't it pretty? What do you have?"


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

"The only things of value I have are my longbow and my elk hide," Sabrina says as she sits down and begins listining to Adam's instructions. "But I have some shiny stuff," Sabrina says as she lays down 9 gold coins and a silver Necklace with small ruby attached to it worth 50 gp.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

"Ah, well, most people think shiny things are valuable."

Adam looks over the ruby pendant with an appraising eye.

"Why don't you hold onto the pendant for now. My gold ore is not worth what you have there. Remember that you are giving up the shiny things if you lose the game."

Adam looks over his shoulder, feeling the piercing glares of his companions on his back.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

When Adam gives the girl her pendant back, Jacyn stops glaring at the halfling and continues getting the horses settled.

When the animals are all taken care of, he retakes his seat near Bea, asking "What changed?" as he sits. In response to her puzzled look, he replies, "Half-elf.", he says, indicating his ears. "You said you used to think service to the gods was foolish as well. So what changed that opinion?"


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

Sabrina picks up her pendant and puts in a single gold coin.

Profession Gambling 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Then she looks up at Adam after the hand.

"Did I win?"


Female Human Paladin 4
Jacyn Frestarn wrote:
When the animals are all taken care of, he retakes his seat near Bea, asking "What changed?" as he sits. In response to her puzzled look, he replies, "Half-elf.", he says, indicating his ears. "You said you used to think service to the gods was foolish as well. So what changed that opinion?"

Bea looks at Jacyn for a long moment before responding, turning her gaze off through the fire. "I grew up not caring about the gods. They stayed out of my life, I stayed out of theirs. But when I was a soldier in the Brevoy Army, I did things there I'm not proud of - I doubt I'll ever be able to speak of it. The weight of my deeds pulled heavily on my heart - I couldn't forget what I'd done nor forgive myself for doing it. I was in the blackest and darkest despair when I stumbled into Erastil's lodge, and in desperation called on him to help me. And you know, it sounds crazy but at that moment I felt that weight start to lift from my heart. Since then I've seen Erastil's hand in my life many times - the latest of which you see in that girl playing with Adam." She lets out a long breath before continuing. "I don't know about the other gods, but I know Ol' Deadeye's as real as you and me."

She suddenly looks a bit flushed and throws a pebble into the fire. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get all preachy on you. I honestly never would have believed I'd be talking about any of the gods like this."


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Profession (Gambling)
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Adam smiles as he places down his cards face up, revealing the winning hand. "Not this time. But it was a courageous effort on your part."

He attempts to explain the principles of rarity and chance, and how they operate in the various games of cards.

"What you must learn to do, dear girl, is learn to know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em...." He clears his throat before he starts singing. "And that can take a while to learn. But it is a fun way to pass the time, much more so when we aren't sitting in a freezing bank of fog."

Adam picks up the piece of gold ore and the coin, flipping the latter in the air before slipping it into his pouch.


Kingmaker Sheet

Prestidigitation can dry out our clothes :)

Katya keeps to herself for a time once the camp is settled in and she has dried out the parties clothes, staring directly in the flames of the camp fire with her eyes unfocused but her ears listening as she runs through the mental exercise of following the flow of the flames. Sitting near to Bea and Jacyn and listening to their conversation about Erastil, her concentration slowly erodes until one log on the fire bursts in a bright plume of green fire for a few moments before Katya tears her eye away from it.

While the fire settles back to a normal hue, Katya takes a deep breath and says, "Oh... you can be sure all the gods and goddesses exist Bea. And they meddle in our affairs when they wish to, not when it would truly help us. Erastil did not act for me when I needed him, while in opposite he acted for you, and you have benefited, I have not. So where is the justice in that? When do any of the gods doing anything but for self serving reasons? Calling on us to do their bidding without a care for what we want.

Her voice is bitter and sounds strained by holding back some, trying to remain civil and maybe not relive painful memories.


Male Human Ranger 3

Havrin watches the interplay between Adam and Sabrina carefully. The ranger prepares to growl an admonishment when Adam appears about to accept Sabrina's pendant as a wager, but settles back without a word and nods approvingly when the halfling hands it back to the young girl.

"Well, here's another important lesson for Sabrina about community," Havrin thinks to himself as he watches the girl lose the first hand to Adam, studying Adam carefully for any sign of cheating. "Knowing who to trust and who to keep a close eye on."

Sense Motive check to study Adam's behavior: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Perception check to notice any sleight of hand tricks: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Jacyn was about to respond to Bea when Katya speaks up. He lets her finish and is unsure of what to say in response, as the woman's words scream of defiance and perhaps even blasphemy. Even being a non-servant to the gods, Jacyn finds that a bit uncomfortable.


Female Human Paladin 4

Bea turns and looks sadly at Katya, unaware that she had been listening in on the conversation. "I know you don't care for Erastil, but what happened that left you so bitter towards the gods? How did they wrong you?"


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

"Again?" Sabrina asks as she puts another coin down. She has 6 gp/hands to play it out.

Hands:

Profession (Gambling) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Profession (Gambling) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Profession (Gambling) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Profession (Gambling) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Profession (Gambling) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Profession (Gambling) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

For purposes of learning, any hand lost by 10 or more, Sabrina unintentionally does something that counts as cheating.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Hands (Profession: Gambling):

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 gains another gp
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 loses a gp
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 gains a gp
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24 gains a gp
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 loses a gp
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22 gains a gp

Despite Sabrina inadvertently cheating in a few hands, Adam still manages to beat her, pocketing the four gold pieces.

"That was an interesting move, and would get you thrown out of most game parlors back in Port Ice."


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Shouldnt you only be gaining two gold from that? ;)


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Is it only two? You missed my sleight of hand there.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

I see no sleight of hand, unless you are meaning you just pocketing the 4 coins instead of 2 of them, lol.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Just joking around. It is two gold coins. But hey, its two gold coins more than what I had before.


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

As Sabrina waits for Adam to deal the next game, she lays back and looks into the muggy sky. There is a faint memory of Adam calling to her,

Adam wrote:
"...Sabrina...game...ready..."

, before Sabrina slips into sleep leaving the four gold coins she has left laying carelessly at her feet.


Kingmaker Sheet

Turning herself to face Bea and Jacyn, Katya takes a deep breath before answering.

"I was born a noble's daughter and after my ninth winter I watched my home and family burn down around me. A cult was using my family's blood in some kind of ritual. I was marked by the leader until a band of Inquisitor's stormed into my home and the ensuing fight caught it on fire. The Inquisitor's dragged me out but didn't save my family. My family and I were devout to the Gods, prayed and supplicated properly. So, while my family burned, where was Erastil? Sarenrae? Iomedae? Abadar? None of them answered. So, there you have it. Why should I pray to any of them when none could, or would, protect what I cherish the most?"

After that long answer Katya takes another breath and her shoulders shake for a moment, like taking a weight off her shoulders.


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

At the conclusion of Katya's story, Jacyn looks to Bea with uncertainty of how to respond in his eyes.

"I, uh...I'm sorry you had to live through that, Katya, especially at such a young age."


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Adam listens cautiously to the other conversation, quietly strumming his lute if it is dry enough, softly singing a slow war ballad he had once heard.

"Oh the drums are so mournful, my dear, oh my love.
As my thoughts, they are turning your way.
Where are the eyes I beheld with my own
On that long ago lazy day?"

"Dead are the leaves on the stark battlefield.
The stench of the flesh sickens me.
I slept soaking wet and the worms ate my bread.
And the moaning of men filled the air."

"Oh green are the leaves on the old apple tree.
Those sweet perfumed blossoms of spring,
entwined in your hair. A smile in your eye.
A soft blade of grass for a ring."

"Warm are the loaves that cool on the sill.
To the song of the clear trickling stream.
The good clean smell of the rough woven sheets.
The song of the children at play."

"Oh the drums are so mournful, my dear, oh my love.
As my thoughts, they are turning your way.
Where are the eyes I beheld with my own,
On that long ago lazy day?
On that long ago lazy day?"


Female Human Paladin 4

Bea thinks for a moment before answering. "Katya, I'm not a scholar of religion and can't claim to have all the answers. But the way I see it, there's good gods and evil gods, and they been at war since the world began. Sometimes the evil gods and their followers gain ground and bad things happen, even to good and innocent people, like your family. I'm just a common soldier, but I see Erastil as a force for good in this world, so I choose to fight at his side in the hopes to sway the battle the other way. Maybe save a few more souls who would've otherwise burned in the fire. Maybe someday make up for all the wrong I did before." Her voice breaks during the last sentence, and Bea turns slightly red, aware of her emotion.


Kingmaker Sheet

Katya shakes her head vehemently after listening to Bea's answer. Her face flares up a bit with a red flush across her cheeks and gestures with her hands as she speaks. "Whether good or evil, all the gods act to their own purpose and nothing in this world requires a person to worship a god to try and make it better. I will make my own difference, in my way, without the gods intervention."

Katya's eyes are wide open despite the lateness of the day and the long travel. Her face set in a hard argumentative tone and the pitch of her voice rises as the conversation continues, as if she wanted the gods themselves to hear.


Female Human Paladin 4

Bea tries to speak patiently and evenly. "Katya, no one in the world is going to force you to worship a god - that's always a personal choice, and I'd never try to force my own beliefs on you. I only hoped...that you would understand why I've chosen to do so."


Female Human Paladin 4

After a moment of awkward silence, Bea finally adds, "Well, anyways, I'm sorry for what happened to your family. I wish I had better answers for you, but I ain't no preacher." Standing up, she allows a hand to rest on Jacyn's shoulder a moment for balance. Nodding to Katya, she says good night and walks off to her bedroll.


Kingmaker Sheet

Katya reaches up and rubs her eyes, maybe to hide a few tears or from exhaustion keeping her eyes open, "I'm not looking for answers from you Bea. For what it's worth, I can't accept the Gods but I wont force this argument on you again."

Watching Bea go for a few moments, Katya's eyes turn back to the fire and begins her exercise again.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Seeing that the sorrowful moment has passed, Adam allows the silence of the camp to fill the space before strumming a more popular, lively tune. Without singing this time.

"I can see that we will have some interesting conversations."


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Without saying anything, Jacyn places his hand over Bea's when she puts it on his shoulder, but allows her to pull away when she regains her balance. He nods in agreement with the woman at her apology for the loss of Katya's family, but doesn't speak up, himself. He gets comfortable with his bedroll near Smoke and tries to get a few hours sleep before his and Sabrina's shift for the night watch comes up.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Now I just have to remember where you are...how fortunate that I started keeping the calendar.

The night passes uneventfully; your anti-insect preparations save everyone from an extremely unrestful night's sleep. Sometime near dawn a cooler air mass moves through, triggering a short drizzle, so your things are again damp the next morning. At least it isn't as hot as the previous day, and the insects aren't as bad.

You continue to follow the river south, past where you turned southeast towards the Old Sycamore a few weeks ago. The river widens and grows quite shallow just before it joins another river, flowing roughly southwest. That ends the day of exploration.

Dice rolls:
Miscellaneous roll E: 1d100 ⇒ 54
Miscellaneous roll W: 1d100 ⇒ 34
Miscellaneous roll A: 1d100 ⇒ 68
Sabrina's chance (low): 1d100 ⇒ 86


Female Human Paladin 4

Beatrix spends the day watching the rest of the party as much as her surroundings. She can't quite figure out why, but something has her uneasy...or maybe just curious...about the people she's traveling with. How did such a strange and varied group come to travel and work together like this? How did they become...friends? She smiled slightly as she looked from face to face. Yes, these are my friends. As the sun begins to fall low in the horizon, she begins to feel more at ease.


Weakly Godlike Entity

The night is uneventful but loud, the sounds of late spring peepers echoing across the river valley. As the party begins to rouse in the morning, though, a cold front moves in, bringing with it a short but violent storm to interrupt breakfast. The storm turns into a steady drizzle.

Any preparations you'd like to take before moving out for the day's explorations?

Dice rolls:
Miscellaneous roll E: 1d100 ⇒ 89
Miscellaneous roll W: 1d100 ⇒ 18
Miscellaneous roll A: 1d100 ⇒ 86
Miscellaneous roll E': 1d100 ⇒ 72
Time of day (adding to 6AM): 1d24 ⇒ 5


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

Sabrina does nothing special unless instructed to. She does however attempt to whistle the song she heard in her dreams last night. The one Adam was playing at camp, though she is so bad you wouldn't know it.

Perform: Sing 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Female Human Paladin 4

Bea's attitude turns somber to match the dreary morning weather and she wraps her cloak around her tightly to keep out the chill, working methodically through her morning routine of breakfast. "Looks to be another miserable day for traveling. Ah, well - what's bad for us is good for the plants."


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Adam swats at another mosquito.

"I'm glad you can be so cheerful about this."

The dour expression and sarcastic tone cannot be missed.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Adam, the rain and cool temperatures are keeping the bugs down. Despite the drizzle, late in the morning Havrin spots some booted footprints while the party is exploring the area. It looks like only one set.

Dice rolls:
Track check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24


Male Human Ranger 3

Havrin hops down from Stepper's back and carefully studies the set of bootprints.

"Someone's been through here. Pretty recently too, else this morning's storm would've washed the prints away," Havrin announces to his companions.

"What do you all think? Follow these tracks and see who's out here with us? Or keep exploring?"


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Adam looks at his map.

"What direction do the footprints go in?"


Weakly Godlike Entity

The tracks are going roughly west.


Female Human Paladin 4

"I don't like the idea of not knowing who's here. Could be just someone peaceful, but I'd rather know."


Male Half-Elf Cavalier (Order of the Dragon) 3

Jacyn nods in agreement with Bea's statement, "Better to meet this person on our terms than on his."


Male Human Ranger 3

"Let's follow these tracks then," Havrin says, climbing back into Stepper's saddle and turning the horse westward.


Female Human Cleric of Erastil, Level 3

"Sounds like fun. I wonder who it is?" Sabrina says with a slight excitement in her voice.


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

"Maybe we can tax him. We really do need to start that taxing initiative. It will make our task here so much easier."


Female Human Paladin 4

Beatrix smiles silently to herself at Adam's comment. "Adam, maybe we should find you a pony or dog to ride..."


Weakly Godlike Entity

Following the trail takes some time once the party moves away from the river valley and it gets a little harder to follow when moving at speed. However, Adam's discovery of a broken crossbow bolt, a splotch of blood, and a moderately well-trod patch of ground suggests that your quarry may have caught and killed a small animal and butchered it; certainly the tracks heading away from the spot are fresher. Not long after that, Havrin thinks he can see a single figure up ahead. No detail can be discerned, but it doesn't look like it's making any attempt at concealment.

Dice rolls:
Adam Perception check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Bea Perception check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Havrin Perception check (+2 if humans involved): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Jacyn Perception check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Katya Perception check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Sabrina Perception check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


Female Human Paladin 4

"No reason to suspect foulplay, likely just a trapper. Let's introduce ourselves." Spurring her horse a little faster towards the figure, she calls out in a loud voice, "Ho!"


Weakly Godlike Entity

When Havrin sees the figure, it's close to half a mile away--well out of earshot. The party rides a bit closer; the figure resolves itself (to Jacyn's and Adam's keener vision first, then to the rest of the group) as a human man wearing chainmail. A greatsword is slung over one shoulder, alongside a pack, and he's carrying a crossbow out.

Bea's call visibly startles him. He spins around, raising the crossbow instinctively, then pauses. "Yeah?"

Dice rolls:
Perception check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

"How is the game here?" Adam asks politely, wondering if he can get the fellow to open up in conversation.

Diplomacy (10)
10 + 9 = 19


Weakly Godlike Entity

The man relaxes slightly. "Eh. Not bad. Woods were better."


Male Halfling Bard 2 / Cleric 2

Adam nods. "We're looking for good hunting grounds ourselves. Do you have a camp set up nearby. Maybe we can share the fire?"

Bluff
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

1,701 to 1,750 of 2,982 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's Kingmaker IC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.